[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2398472390842.jpg (11 KB, 474x232)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Realistically, how do we fix this franchise? It seems like no one in the strategy player base is fully happy with it.
>>
>>1729653
Easily, stop releasing the game every year and take 3-4 years to develop a new installment.
>>
>>1729659
>implying a publicly traded company would ever dare have a 0 in their income sheet for the fiscal year
That will never happen.
Best you can hope for is live service shit with less releases and content being drip-fed to make their quarters look good.
Game companies should not be public, the incentives are all anathema to artistic endeavors.
>>
File: 20148896_p0.jpg (188 KB, 919x1000)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
They should stop using Rome 2 as the base for new games and make more games focused on ranged combat, as the engine they're using is clearly not meant for mass melee combat; even the fan favourite Shogun 2 has pretty wonky-looking melee.
>>
>>1729687
Ever since S2 everyone awkwardly snaps in place to do their motion captured fight scene. The warscape engine makes ranged combat TOO accurate, so I actually agree, they should focus on a ranged combat game in a time frame where guns are accurate. Having arrows shoot like heat seeking missiles has always been a pet peeve of mine for the warscape engine.
>>
>>1729665
>Game companies should not be public, the incentives are all anathema to artistic endeavors.
Well if your big enough you could tell the investors to shut fuck up. That's what Nintendo does sometimes. Or make gatcha subsidiary to herd the more retarded ones to it.
>>
>>1729653
there's no fix because too many shitty practices have accumulated throughout the years that they do not want (or are able) to fix

>no ballistics for ranged (including height advantage)
>reload and ladder animations deemed "too expensive"
>1 general per army, no leaderless armies allowed
>generals are copy-pasted clones because the trait driven system was abandoned
>retarded building systems, walled settlements predetermined and not based on your own strategic needs
>province density inferior to decade old titles
>games are utterly unmoddable by design (modders are potential competition) compared to older titles
>replenishment, unit upkeep not based on unit current manpower, free garrisons, shitty campaign map movement speeds
>shitty unit abilities
>disconnection between gameplay options and reality (for example in medieval2 "ransom" meant that you actually ransomed POWs back to the enemy if he could afford it. in nu-TW games "ransom" is just flavor text for "get x gold for free instead of replenishment or morale; their troops disappear nonetheless")
>increasingly outrageous end-turn waiting times even on the most gigamaxxed SSD

every possible wrong decision has been taken
>>
>>1729653
>Fix
Let it die.
CA has been a shell of their former self for years now and they are just not capable, for many reasons, of making a decent videogame.
>>
File: 1711572065971281.jpg (3.42 MB, 8192x8192)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
>>1729821
>reload and ladder animations deemed "too expensive"
This is not a thing
>generals are copy-pasted clones because the trait driven system was abandoned
All generals in all titles lacked personality until 3K. 3K is the only TW with generals having any agency and personality. Med2 traits were useless
>games are utterly unmoddable by design (modders are potential competition) compared to older titles
This is objectively wrong. New Total War titles are far more moddable and much more easier to mod than others, not bound by as strongly restrictive city, faction and unit limits, while also being being modular and modders having direct support from CA
>shitty unit abilities
Unit abilities are great
>increasingly outrageous end-turn waiting times even on the most gigamaxxed SSD
Doesn't happen
>>
>>1729665
Rockstar takes decades to make a game.
>>
>>1730031
>New Total War titles are far more moddable and much more easier to mod than others,
yea, thats why it took a literal decade for a lotr map to be made on attila? cut the horseshit.
>>
>>1730032
rockstar is guaranteed to make billion of the next game the release even if its trash and they make millions every year just with shark card meanwhile the market for total war games are much smaller and with the leaks coming out that only 1-2 million buy the games when a new one is released without the number of people buying growing
>>
>>1730037
They changed engine so modders had to make new tools for map modding, just like they did previously. CA never intentionally sabotaged modding, except for TW:W1&TW:W2 because GW demanded gutted modding. They always supported modders, which is why there is a launcher for mods bundled with games, steam workshop integration and CA employees sitting in modding discording lending support to modders.
>>
>>1730045
>They changed engine so modders had to make new tools for map modding, just like they did previously.
yes and it was incredibly difficult to do so compared to older games and its STILL not released mind you.
>>
Make a new engine.
Warscape has been holding the franchise back for a decade. It's shit, it makes the games feel like shit. It was developed for empire of all things and it was adequate enough for shogun2 because they could hide most of the shortcomings with fast movement and overly dramatic animations.
>>
>>1730031
>New Total War titles are far more moddable and much more easier to mod than others
Ah, yes, so easy the poor fucks couldn't even edit the Attila map for a decade.
This is some kind of elaborate cope or you are a shill.
>>
>>1729653
The battles need to be more arcadey, like in Med2, Shogun 2 or Attila, just maybe with a little more staying power, so that an engagement lasts beyond 5 minutes. Slogfests like Rome 2 don't fo it for me, because they don't reward tactics and unit counters. Instead, the more expensive stacks always win. Make the campaign map more focussed around strategic objectives, like resources, special buildings or chokepoints to give the player intuitive aims. Keep the scope small enough to keep balance, but make it large enough to have replayability beyond 3-5 campaigns. Add some gimmicks for each faction, but refrain from giving anyone OP bullshit or arbitrary advantages/disadvantages. (ergo: have certain factions to things differently instead of plain better/worse. Let's say Gauls have access to high charge/ low armor units, instead of just saying >Gaul: +5 charge bonus ; -2 srmor rating)
Have generals and agents with meaningful skill trees and mutually exclusive lines of specialization. Also, make generals normal ass human beings instead of immortal gods who can just kill an entire army by themselves.

Uhh, that's all I have to say
>>
>>1729653
i am done with this genre and franchise. It's a massive time sink, it steals your vrill. Thousands of my life-hours are permanently gone just downloading gay mods on TW:WH2 and the game just never ends. All for what? a fucking 2% achievement? wow, cool, deep mechanics and lore....not. I do the same shit every battle hundreds, thousands of times over. Fuck Creative Assembly to death. Genuinely, go out and live life instead faggots, you only have one
>>
Fix pathfinding for units near obstacles
Make the campaign map part more interesting
More armies, remove upkeep cost increase from more armies, instead increase cost based on distance from areas with supply
>>
>>1729653
let it die and somebody pick up the genre, if that manor lord fag managed to make almost functioning system programming solo i dont see a reason some competent studio might actually make a vastly superior game than CA.
>>
File: drac.png (272 KB, 920x1187)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>1730103
The same could be said of all video games
>>
>>1730032
And rakes in millions upon millions on MRR with GTA Online, and they have re-released GTA5 for every platform under the sun. Don’t think their last release was in 2013, they have both live service shit and releases every year.
>>
>>1730031
>Med2 traits were useless
Not true, generals with Rabble Rouser, Foul Mouthed, or similar traits, had those amazing pre-battle speeches.
>>
>>1729653
It's dead. The time to "save" it was after Rome 2, but they just tripled down. It will never be good again. Even if they make a new engine that works amazingly well and creates fun gameplay again, they'll alienate most nuTW fans who are allergic to strategy games and fail to bring back 40 year olds who played RTW/M2TW in the 00s, so it will be a flop.
>>
Total war 30 years war
>>
>>1729653
I think the Thrones of Decay DLC looks great. I’m thinking we’re back bros!
>>
>>1729653
the only feasible way I see it happening is by spend a lot of time and money on a new engine, warscape it's too outdated, with too many flaws for a good new TW. Any new title will have same issues of today titles, they can make a successful game in term of sales, but an actual good game? No.
I don't think sega is able to put time and money in a project like a new game engine, and the money they had got lost in hyenas.
Maybe a major publisher, like M$, can have the money and patient to invest in that.
>>
>>1730758
there will be a new engine for 40k and victoria/ww1
>>
>>1729687
Victorian/Belle Epoque is my reccomendation for setting that fit warscape engine quirks. The Boshin war that got depicted in Fall of Samurai got way overblown in scale but the battle in there is easily the best out of all warscape engine games imo. They should make a Crimean war game and it DLC is the American Civil war or vice versa.
>>
>>1729653
listening to the community
>>
>>1730982
that's the rumors, we'll see if they are true
>>
>>1729653
release non-fantasyshit games
>>
>>1731185
Unfathomably based
>>
>>1731185
>>1731205
>samefag
>>
>>1731185
Their non fantasy titles are also shit, not sure what that would fix.
>>
>>1729653
they just need to update the graphics. rome and everything after it has shitty battles where when units clash it just looks like your watching robots bumping into each other
>>
>>1730032
rockstar is the apple of gamedev. nobody else is like that.
not anymore, at least.
it's the most granted money that you'll ever get.
>>
>>1731185
Pharaoh and 3K were far from good, this isn't the immediate solution. The problem is rooted elsewhere.
>>
>>1730982
I can't imagine CA having the opportunity to make a big investment in time and money to create a new engine considering how poorly their last few games have sold
>>
>>1731329
if they'll share Relic's fate (cutting the ties with Sega), which is actually fairly possible (although by no means certain), then this isn't happening. Ever.
Sega's reach and funds are very likely the foundation of TW:WH's success.
>>
>>1731320
3k was good, but the continued warscape dumbing down prevented it from replacing shogun as the new standard to compare tw games to.
Pharaoh suffered from being a troy dlc repurposed into a full game. The bronze age collapse is a great time to set a game but the focus was too narrow and squandered the setting.
>>
>>1729653
only way to "fix" TW is to release the source code for Med2 and let modders fix/expand the game CA is a bunch of faggots nowadays
>>
>>1729653
Hear me out....
Genshin Impact - Total War
>>
>>1730031
>Unit abilities are great
not the "inspire" or "whip" or any other moba style stat boosting ability unit abilities that got worse ever since rome 2. things like pike wall and stealth (like the ninja in Shogun 2) are fine
>>
>>1731587
いいえ
>>
>>1729653
>Realistically, how do we fix this franchise?
>we
*WE* can't do anything. they have their sycophants and players with no standards that will keep buying until it erodes all quality it [total war] may have and the current playerbase gets disinterested with every subsequent release and it finally dies.

All we can do is tell people about how the old games made by the original devs are better and point out the differences in quality gameplay, that current CA aren't the original Total War developers. current CA CAN'T code/program the older games at all.
>>
File: 1711802808708712.png (1.25 MB, 971x828)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>1731587
You know what? That would actually work and I'd actually play that.
The only downside is bringing in an amount of complete strategy newfags that you never thought would be possible, worse than Warhammer, because it would include way too many underage women.
>>
>>1731641
>enter diplomacy with john lee
>never has any money
>>
File: zeauc1w140q91.jpg (112 KB, 1024x1024)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1731651
Assuming it's the Archon War, wouldn't have that problem. Venti is another matter though
>>
>>1731587
incredibly based, would unironically play if set during the archon war
>>
File: 1683554196071514.png (962 KB, 1280x720)
962 KB
962 KB PNG
>>1731587
>melee, bows and gunpowder
>magic and monsters
>literally built for the hero/rpg system
>franchise popularity infinitely higher than Warhammer
>genshinfags are used to gacha and wallet gaming so you can monetize it to hell
>can be rated at pegi-12
if creative assembly wants the line to go up, it's time to beg daddy sega for this. even if the game would be bad, we'd get an anime-ish strategy on the western market and the plan has no flaw on paper.
>>
>>1731587
Make it girls-only and I'll buy it.
>>
File: 1684634721585377.jpg (1.57 MB, 3000x3000)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>1731679
but anon, your girls can beat m*les and excluding them would essentially be rejecting the free money from fujos, where's the issue?
>>
>>1731667
this vs. Warhammer is the shitflinging I can get behind.
>>
>3 kingdoms
>can't move troops between generals
>if a general has cavalry he doesn't need and another needs it, i must disband and re-recruit them

why do these subhumans at CA keep experimenting with these cancershit mechanics?
rome1 and medieval2 had it perfect! nobody ever said "sheesh i really wish i had all sorts of arbitrary limitations when moving around my troops!"
who comes up with this?
>>
>>1731237
>>1731320
lol these games had a fraction of the budget of their fantasy games, of course they were not worth the money
>>
>>1731680
>your girls can beat m*les
I'd rather they just not exist at all, I didn't come all the way here to look at ugly ass freaks, beaten or not.
>fujos
You mean those things that are currently occupying the gas chamber?
>>
>>1731712
It's not the setting, bro. RTW was nearly a fantasy setting considering how retarded it is, not just The Mummy Egypt either, and it's still fun to play vanilla.
It's everything about how the games are designed. Not sure what more funding could have fixed, unless you mean they'd be able to create a completely new game from scratch, which would actually be good, but then again proves that the setting is not the issue.
>>
>>1729653
Fanbase is fucked. They don't even WANT anything interesting. Just legendary lord #121214
We should be getting shit that actually makes endgame fun and interesting, unique starting scenarios, more tactical combat where maneuvering is rewarded and counterplay is impactful.
>>1729687
And then you have retards like this who constantly spout about muh warscape while not even knowing what an engine is. Go play med2 retard, animations and impact wise, the series has only gotten better, only things missing from newer games are features that stemmed from the devs actually giving a shit like units passing through eachothers formations.
>>
>>1729653
they're finally going to hit the 'break glass in case of emergency' option and make Warhammer: 40K: Total War, and it's going to sell really well along with 10,000 DLC's just like the TW:WH franchise, except probably even better because sci-fi has more mass appeal than fantasty
finally Total War autists who won't let them make a game that's not just 'le sword and board' infantry blocks will be defeated
30% chance the game is ass but if they are smart they will have been tinkering with this plan for years (because it's so obvious) and finally crack how to have more responsive and punchy ranged combat mechanics, probably on a major engine upgrade / rework
>>
>>1729653
A 16th century or ww1 version would be nice but they keep making warhammer fantasy games
>>
>>1731843
First point is good, 2nd point must be b8. I've played R2 and Atilla before I learned my lesson, the battles were like mushing two cold sticks of butter together. Even line battles feel better in Medieval 2 mods than in Empire, the projectiles and explosions actually feel like it instead of wet farts though soggy toilet paper. Setting or content are not why nuTW is shit, it's the entire game design, including engine.
>>
File: 1652478196220.jpg (17 KB, 458x350)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1731587
>waifu total war
>>
>>1731587
These games have an issue, but choosing a different setting is just putting a differently colored blanket over it.
>>
>>1731843
>impact wise
Play med 2 then load up medieval kingdoms for attila and tell me with a straight face that warscape does impacts better.
>>
File: 1713387475988010.webm (3.84 MB, 1920x1080)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB WEBM
>>1731703
>why do these subhumans at CA keep experimenting with these cancershit mechanics?
It's supposed to be more realistic. Those units belong to those generals, those are their armies and not directly yours, it's more like in Crusader Kings. If they leave you, they take their army alongside them. This is why you can regroup them on battle map, but not on campaign map. You are also not supposed to have them recruited constantly, like in previous games. You should disband armies when they aren't needed and then rerecruit them once it's their time again. Their ranks stay, but there is no more instant recruitment and instead you recruit unreplenished units. This is why there is that new redeployment feature to aid with moving armies around. 3k is radically different from other titles.
>>1731851
>>1731852
According to Legend, historical Total War: WWI/Victoria that is meant to have entire world in it, was meant to release at the end of THIS year. But it takes too much time and they can't afford rushing it and risking another bad release now. So they delayed it so far ahead that it will release after TW:40K, which is currently meant to release at the end of 2025/beginning of 2026. And this would line up with how many updates and dlcs there are left for TW:W before it's complete. It would make also sense to make and release WWI game as a testing ground for 40k, which is probably how it started. It's easier to make historical game and then fantasy game, because then you can reuse everything from historical game and add fantastical elements on to it.
New features in this dlc/update already look like reused, back-ported features from their WWI and 40k titles. Tanks now take different damage from front, sides and rear. And volound and valrak leakers spoke of TW:40K too
>>
>>1732214
>historical Total War: WWI/Victoria
I want to believe
>>
Honestly a big improvement for this series is if they avoided numbers. R1andM2 probably had plenty of hidden dice rolls behind the scenes, but because they were hidden it helped make the battles feel organic. Modern TW is OBSESSED with these numbers, long ass tech trees with 90% of the tech being dumb shit like a 2% charge boost. Yay? Upgrades of any kind just tell you its some boring +1 to armor or equally mind numbing thing. Let the number crunching happen behind the scenes and give players the tools to crunch the numbers in their favor without realizing thats what they are doing.
>>
>>1729653
They need a new engine that is an improved version of the warscape 2 engine from rome 1 and med 2. They also need to re-embrace the game design from the pre rome 2 total war games, where the battles were the focus and actually had some tactical depth and weren't about what units had the bestist stats. The campaign's purposed should be to give context to the battles and not on the aimless campaign mechanics that the nu-total war tiles are overloaded with and that the ai cannot interact with.
>>
>>1732270
>pre rome 2 total war games, where the battles were the focus and actually had some tactical depth and weren't about what units had the bestist stats
lol
>>
>>1732241
Making the behind-the-scenes workings of combat more transparent is a good thing. Old games had this weird obsession with hiding all of the math, but the way they abstracted stuff was frequently counterintuitive, which makes it impossible to make good choices about things.

The problem with modern total war's handling of stats is that
A: the UI sucks, and the way numbers are presented is frequently overwhelming.
B: the game is padded for content, so you have dozens of samey units with tiny, inconsequential stat variations presented as though they perform fundamentally different roles for marketability purposes (they don't)
C: They're committed to a weird RPG-like system of progression and trees, but don't actually have enough content to fill them, leading to a mountain of bullshit like +2% to ass scratching. This is just a failure of game design, falling back on copout inconsequential stat modifiers because they can't think of anything fun that doesn't stack with a million other bonuses to break the game.
>>
>>1735397
>which makes it impossible to make good choices about things.
In what way? Because medieval2 was more about just using common sense tactics over knowing the mathematical optimal units to match up.
>>
>>1735425
>Because medieval2 was more about just using common sense tactics over knowing the mathematical optimal units to match up
Wdym? We was have stats and their numbers.
Problem with math in nuTW isn't problem with math actually, it's problem with bloated numbers.
When you have +1 to armor on unit with 3 armor, it's solid.
When you have +1 armor on unit with 43 armor, it's meh.
When you have +15% to attack to unit with 7 attack it's meh.
When you have +15% to attack to unit with 100 attack it's solid.
>>
>>1732153
It does. Med 2 pathing and charges are a fucking joke.
>>
>>1731885
>Retard thinks sound design is locked to the engine
>>
>>1729653
There's nothing really wrong with it. Well, I guess the campaigns get pretty tedious to play after like 20 turns.
>>
File: 39318857_p0.jpg (427 KB, 1447x2039)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>1735865
>There's nothing really wrong with it.
There is a reason why Med 2 and Shogun 2 are still in the top 5 most played Total Wars. CA is being outcompeted by its past self.
>>
>>1735902
Never tried to compete.
>>
>>1729653
people only like rome 1, medieval 2, shogun 2, and warhammer 2. the devs need to study those and figure out what sets them apart from the rest, and draw from that
>>
>>1735503
It was more the function of pre warscape total war. Sync kills and locked animations in warscape make stats matter a lot more because they all must sync up one at a time turning a surround into lots of 1 on 1 battles. Morale is the only stat that is factored asymmetrically there.
>>
>>1732227
I don't think it'll ever happen.
>>
>>1735863
go watch some volund and get back to me or better yet die in a ditch you faggot
>>
>>1735911
the worst cope ive ever heard
>>
>>1729653
Who cares? I'm not 12 anymore, this series means nothing to me now.
>>
>>1736079
>the worst cope ive ever heard
>>
It's amazing how people think this franchise has any future. It's dead. The only people left are redditors, shills and fantasy warhammer fans.
>>
>>1735902
The reason is the time period they're set in.
>>
>>1736124
Thrones of Britannia.
>>
>>1736106
More future that this site, that´s for sure.
>>
>>1736106
2 more weeks.
>>
>>1736106
i'm all 3
>>
>>1736039
Except there's plenty of warscape games without sync kills retard.
>>
>>1736070
>Retard thinks I know who volound is
>>
>>1736165
Strange cope
>>
>>1735902
Except Attila is both the best TW game and the least played. Clearly there isn't much correlation here
>>
>>1736185
>the best.
Situationally the best.
It has some neat mechanics but battles feel kind of shit just like rome2. It's certainly better than rome2 and aside from 3k's diplomacy, is better than everything after.
>>
>>1729665
Games keep selling unoess they are pulled from the market. If you are an investor you must be aware of the characteristics of the business you are investing in.
>>
>>1736185
Not with those battles it's not lmao
>>
>>1729653
Scrap all the shit they're doing now and copy their games that people actually like
>>
File: bird red.jpg (21 KB, 236x349)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1735397
>C
10+ lords, 20+ heroes, every on them need to be level up and item assigned
and its not like it even matter as I usually level them up in one way
>>
>>1736185
it may have some good sides but it campaign design is shit and its just ugly
>>
>>1735863
>he thinks its the sound
Holy retarded faggot
>>
>>1730103
So I gather, the issue is that the combat in the game is solved, and there is nothing else to do. Right?
>>
>>1736669
Total war used to be a franchise that innovated
Now they're firmly in the trying to chase previous successes by copying rather than innovating stage.
>>
>>1736749
What was so innovative about Total War? It looks like a Risk-type board game from the very start.
>>
Fix the fucking engine already
Go back to collision rather than animation based combat
Go back to physics simulation
Set it in WW1 and just call it "Total War"
>>
>>1736770
Combining the strategic overlayer with real time battles.
Medieval 2 was also the most graphically impressive strategy game of its time. So much so that it visually still holds up.
>>
>>1729653
The series needs to flop hard with casuals and sell like shit repeatedly. Only then they might become convinced that they need to crawl back to their original audience and put the effort in again. Problem is this would most likely just end up killing the franchise forever. So, realistically, Total War is never getting fixed.
>>
>>1736813
Sorry, that sounds expensive.
t. Sega
>>
>>1736871
Never gonna happen considering how business has evolve after de 90s - early 2000s
>>
>>1736887
Yes, it's best to just forget about Total War, it's simply not a franchise made for us anymore and won't be at any point in the future.
>>
>>1732227
No hope even if they do release it. Gunpowder units in warhammer 3 don't even have reload animations and they can shoot through each other so the width of your units don't matter
>>
>>1729653
By ignoring it and letting it die.
>>
>>1731836
>RTW was nearly a fantasy setting considering how retarded it is
Yes 2 decades ago when this was acceptable.
>It's not the setting
You need to realize that CA completely alienated their historical community since atleast Attila.
You think these people will come back for Pharaoh or Troy?
Well cleary they didn't, these type of games could work but only after the demand for a proper historical setting with mass appeal like Medieval/Empire/Rome/Pike&Shot has come out before.
>Not sure what more funding could have fixed
The game was marketed as a full price mainline TW title, it came out with a tiny map that doesn't even feature the entire middle east, and whopping 8 factions.
>>
>>1736871
This is impossible, toyhammer fans are the biggest shiteaters around.
>>
>>1737653
This, Warhammer fags are the biggest slop eaters around and will ensure this shit train keeps chugging. Cant act that surprised considering how notoriously expensive their hobby is, of course theyd pay 20 freedom bux for 1 lord lmao.
>>
>>1731836
RTW was alt-his
>>
>What if Julius Caesar conquered Gaul with 10000 war dogs?
>What if Egypt's mastery of chariot warfare was such that they kept fighting that way well into the iron age?
>What if the Greek city states conquered the world with the help of their ingenious strappy horses?
>>
>>1737652
>2 decades ago when this was acceptable.
Nobody cared about accuracy 20 years ago? That doesn't make sense considering the countless historical setting mods for RTW. Meanwhile Rome 2 had a lot of work put into historicity and fucking sucks.
>>1737652
>You think these people will come back for Pharaoh or Troy?
No, because the games suck, and it's not because of the setting.
> it came out with a tiny map that doesn't even feature the entire middle east, and whopping 8 factions.
If it had a huge map and 100 factions, it would still be shit, because the game is simply shit. It's simply not the setting
>>
>>1738731
disingenuous fags will think this is a compelling argument
>>
Were pharaoh to feature the entire ancient world and have attila-esque systems to handle the bronze age collapse it would be a more compelling game. However it is still using warscape and I have warscape fatigue. At this point total war games are like bethesda games. They can have different settings but they all have the same feeling of shit that tells you who made it and makes them entirely unenjoyable.
>>
>>1738841
>Were pharaoh to feature the entire ancient world and have attila-esque systems to handle the bronze age collapse it would be a more compelling game.
Total War's biggest issue since Empire is that the battle engine is shit, particularly in melee. Units are floaty, combat is determined by animations rather than collision, formations don't hold, lines don't push, the problems go on and on. Everything else is just window dressing, especially the campaign and battles against AI in general which will never compare to battles against humans any time soon.
>>
>>1738871
Yeah.
Empire and napoleon it didn't matter because melee wasn't the focus. Shogun2 did a good job at hiding it with quick sliding units that could quickly find dance partners and the prevalence of spears meant leaving cav in melee was suicide. Rome 2 laid these problems bare.
>>
>>1738797
>the games suck
Yeah just like the toyhammer ones, your point?
>>
>>1738905
That it's not the setting that makes nuTW bad.
>>
>>1736813
>Set it in WW1 and just call it "Total War"
total great war
>>
Total war is over bros the epic MANOR LORDS will KILL total war in 4 hours
>>
>>1739213
Kek
Good ol' sóitubers hyping any game for the channel
>>
>>1729653
1: Pay the technological debt. 2: Make the older games easier to mod. 3: Add officer gameplay. 4: Medieval 3 on a world wide scale.
>>
>>1730187
>Had those amazing pre battle speeches
I skipped them.

Got better things to do than listen to the same speeches every time I had to clean up a army of militia and catapults.
>>
>>1731570
>but the continued warscape dumbing down prevented it from replacing shogun as the new standard to compare tw games to.
Ironic considering that campaign wise I wish Shogun 2 had every feature Three Kingdoms had. I basically can't go back to Shogun 2 anymore just because of how utterly lacking in flavor it feels.

>The bronze age collapse is a great time to set a game but the focus was too narrow and squandered the setting.
yeah. I really hope they just combine this with Troy or something. The assets are already there, even the map should be easy to copy.
>>
>>1729653
Make morale matter. Make units more specialized. Make terrain matter.
And that's just the beginning.
>>
>>1738906
But it's the only thing that sells it
>>1738331
>Cant act that surprised considering how notoriously expensive their hobby is
It really isn't. It's just video games that are an abnormally cheap hobby
>>1736415
So Rome 2, Three Kingdoms and Warhammer?
>>1736127
Significantly more successful than Pharaoh and Troy thanks to it's medieval setting. Alas too limited in scope and variety to be worth it.
>>1730082
Correct. Modding was far easier in all aspects save for campaign map modding and now not even campaign map is a problem anymore.
>>
>>1739345
Yeah 3K was basically a new standard in campaign and diplomacy but everything combat related was just worse.
>>
>>1739345
3K has been a big step for TW, but all the chuds were too busy being mad about CA not making rome1 again to play it. Unfortunately support was cut abruptly because it didn't live up to unreasonable monetisation standards despite being the most popular game in the franchise ever. It's easier to make low effort DLC for warhammerfags.
Pharaoh had some interesting ideas for campaign gameplay but it was still held back by being a WH2 derivative by the way of troy rather than a really new generation.
Maybe they will actually make 3K2 at some point, but people say the game has already been canceled/never entered production so we might never see a refinement of that branch and we'll go back to WH-era engine based games.
>>
>>1739395
They should simply resume working on currently existing 3k.
>>
>>1739403
It wouldn't be unprecedented, they have resumed rome2 at one point, but they didn't make a big announcement of dropping that one first so I can sort of see how going back on it would be hard for them now.
>>
>>1729653
as long as the fantasy crap keeps them afloat they won't even have to change anything
>>
>>1739395
look, it's not that difficult, people play TW for the experience of real times battles with a campaign map to have a connection between them, to have a meaning to these battles. the campaign part of a tw it's a secondary aspect, any paradox game is better that any CA game in that regard. It's been 17 years with an engine with mayor problems with unit cohesion, collision, path finding, and generally bad visuals (the soldiers look like brown ants). That's the issue, and any player who played since rome1 engine (at least) feels that, we played thousand of hours in these games and some trickery in the campaign won't fix shit that actual players want
>>
>>1729653
Convert the strategy layer into an actual decent grand strategy type sim with more complex mechanics and an actual manpower resource instead of the retarded fucking HP regen mechanic that makes soldiers feel worthless.
And improve the combat so units actually have weight behind their charges/attacks.
Honestly, at this point I expect AI generated video games in the near future to replace all shitty devs and I can't wait.
>>
>>1739427
What makes fantasy fans such paypigs? They bought the same game three times or so? lol
>>
>>1739392
>Modding was far easier in all aspects save for campaign map modding
Lol what? One of the most important parts of modding was hardlocked.
>and now not even campaign map is a problem anymore.
Yeah, almost 20 years after the shitscape era began, they're finally able to edit the map. Truly amazing, except anyone that cared about modding the older games has long since moved on.
>>
>>1729653
No amount of campaign map bullshit or changing the setting will fix the fundamental problems of the Warscape Engine. The fundamental draw of Total War was always the battle maps, and the battles have gotten progressively worse since they introduced the Engine. It worked fine for gunpowder line warfare, where melee was last-ditch and majority of the fighting was ranged musketry. But it simply DOES NOT WORK for anything that isn't ranged combat. Formations can't hold and just descend into blobbing. You can look at Rome 1 and Medieval 2 for examples where this DOESN'T happen and units like spearmen hold their formation.

There will be no fixing the franchise until they go back to the drawing board and come up with a new engine. Until then, it's just going to be more subpar combat over an increasingly pointless and bloated campaign map.
>>
>>1739393
>>1739395
To be fair, the DLC for Three Kingdoms is kind of lackluster. Eight Princes should have been a finisher not a start, while Mandate of Heaven had potential but felt unfinished and didn't really handle it's time period all that well. The later two DLC were better but lacked enough new content to really justify making two of them rather than just one DLC containing multiple new stardates.
>>
>>1739403
I would welcome it. Fix the game stability, add the last few empty places in the map, overhaul eight princes. As for actual DLC, both Chibi and Sima Yi vs Zhuge Liang could work.
>>
>>1739392
>now not even campaign map is a problem anymore.
lmao not only does it take forever for to make a new map but it also takes forever to make it work with the AI. it is absolutely a problem and we are still years away from maybe one mod being able to release one map. meanwhile the older games were far simpler to work with in terms of modding and modders were able to create new worlds with such ease that med 2 still has a thriving modding scene today. warscape is harder to mod with and thats why all they can do is change textures and add scripts and the most important thing, the setting and map as you say yourself is practically near impossible without a gargantuan effort. you cant mod it by yourself anymore like the older games.
>>
>>1729653
Fire all women, trannies and brits from the company and replace them with racist autists.
>>
>>1729653
I don't think you can.
I tried playing Warhammer 2 and I like it sometimes but I barely boot it up because it's so tedious to play.
The campaign feels like shit, the battles feel like shit.
>Minor faction declares war on you for no reason
>Beelines towards your shittiest village with 2 full stacks of trash units
>Because of province system you still need to give a shit about that gay ass backwater because chances are you built something in it that you need or you flat out need the full province bonus or the extra income
>At most you can try to recruit a lord but you can't pump out units and your control over garrisons is almost non-existent (and the garrison won't hold because it's like 10 trash units at most)
>You have maybe 1 and a half armies that are worth anything, armies that would obliterate that faction, but you can't because the AI cheats, their armies march and recover like they're on steroids and morphine and amphetamines all at once
>Spend 5 turns rebuilding your mudhut and pushing the minor faction back to their capital
>Either fight a siege that sucks and win it easily or lose in autoresolve
>Repeat till you snowball by which point the AI is hopelessly outmatched, then just mappaint with autoresolving doomstacks
>Say "fuck it" and decide to actually manually fight a battle
>Repeat the same strategy over and over (focus their range + hammer & anvil if outgunned, bombard and kite if you have superior ranged) because anything else gives you higher casualties than you can afford with AI and their infinite trash stacks
>Time to kill is too high to enjoy battles up close anyway, and the AI is retarded and tedious so you also want to end battles as fast as you can
>Even if stars allign and you get a nice setup for a fight it's ruined by some retarded animations
>Can't even get the AI to agree to peace so you have to genocide them every time all because they wanted that shitty village that is the only place in the region where you can get good units
>>
>>1729653
>we
Sorry, I don't work for Creative Assembly.
>>
An early modern era title with solid fundementals. Problem is Warhammer Fantasy has permanently fucked both the community and the developers, there is no going back.
>>
>>1729653
I stopped playing total war after Rome 2 Total war, its all ogre for the franchise.
>>
The economy changes from rome2 on were some of the worst.
Every single minor faction can field a full stack or more turning the early game into a slog. And just running full stacks from the start ruins any feeling of progression.
>>
How can they solve anything when all of your replies suggest vastly different things? You can't please anyone. I understand now why companies go for normalfags instead
>>
>>1741398
They're not vastly different things.
Everyone is bitching about the engine.
Most bitch about the province system and generals tied to armies (both of which have been in all of the games since Rome II, that's 11 years ago).
>>
>>1741406
Ah yes nostalgiafagging. Wonderful. Might as well just remake Medieval 2 with modern graphics and change nothing about the mechanics and call it a day. Old style battle physics, old city system, etc. Since none of you care for change anyway
>>
>>1741409
yea with improved AI and working diplomacy, that would unironically btfo all the newer total wars. tack on unlocked modding and we would never need another total war game again.
>>
>>1729653
Completely purge upper management. Do some focusing purges on low levels. Replace them with some eastern slavs, but put chink commisars to them, so if they try to do corruption, they get hanged.. Problem solved.
>>
>>1729653
Step 1: ditch warscape
Step 2: make a modern version of rome's engine
Step 3: revert all mechanics back to Medieval 2 and earlier.
>>
>>1741441
>put chink commisars to them, so if they try to do corruption, they get hanged.. Problem solved.
Ah, yes, because as we know the CCP is the least corrupted institution in the world.
>>
>>1731587
Suicide is never the answer, but if you could find an equivalent to it that didn't end your life you should at least consider it.
>>
>>1741409
>Ah yes nostalgiafagging.
Not at all, the old system is kinda trash too.
In Rome 1 and Medieval 2 you also spam trash units but at least most battles aren't full stack of trash vs full stack of trash and replenishment takes a while. You fight a ton of 7 units vs 13 units with both sides at half strenght for example, so it's not as tedious even if it gets boring.
I think Medieval 2 vanilla sucks and the only good thing about it are certain mods but even those can't fix the janky combat. OG Rome, Medieval 1 and Napoleon are the only games I can stomach without mods.
The way it should be fixed is that the campaign should be real time with pause. The recruitment system was trash in all games, mercenaries are a bandaid solution, growing provinces/ cities is retarded. Large scale campaign maps with hundreds of factions also drag the game down.
They need to emphasize logistics and tactics more in the campaign.
The series is called Total War but battles are mediocre in their best games and somehow they're both tedious to fight and too fast to enjoy.
If CA needs some pointers they should look at other RTT series like Myth or Men of War. They're both flawed series but they're so much more fun to actually play it's unreal.
Campaign wise I don't think there's a single game out there that is actually engaging, so it's not a flaw unique to TW.
If they're stubborn in their turn based campaign way, they should make something like Dawn of War Dark Crusade or Warlords Battlecry 2.
>>
>>1741929
Med2 also had visual armor upgrades that made trash units feel like 3 other gradually less trash units.
>>
>>1741929
>The recruitment system was trash in all games,
not really. med 2 had the best recruitment system. it limited the amount of elite spam for the player without feeling like too much bullshit and also made it so if a player lost an army, it would be a bitch to actually build back up.

of course with the terrible AI this scenario rarely happened and the AI couldnt handle it BUT assuming the AI isnt total dogshit Med 2 had a great recruitment system.
i personally would love to see something similar to DEI though, where recruitment is based off pops and in general I would love for pops to be represented in the game.
>>
>>1741950
I feel like if they just made a competent AI almost all the complaints would go away.
They would be god tier games, if they would just do that and all their terrible business practices and scandals would be forgotten about.
>>
>>1729821
actually depressing reading all this. TW:WH had so much potential and they literally half-assed every single implementation of every single feature and mechanic
>>
>>1741950
>med 2 had the best recruitment system.
It's ruined by the AI. They do not understand how the system works and therefore most battles are against fucking militia with artillery. I imagine because the AI is copied wholesale from Rome 1 like most of the mechanics.
>>
>>1741441
Easier solution is to just announce you will be deporting a bipoc family everyday until the games aren't shit.
Guarantee they'll have it done by the end of the week
>>
>>1744614
>BUT assuming the AI isnt total dogshit Med 2 had a great recruitment system.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.