[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708357924122.jpg (477 KB, 1919x1080)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
Still waiting for a game set here...
>>
AOE2?
>>
>>1735650
That's cool but I still want something with a proper overworld like Total War.
>>
>eu4
>Naval ideas
>Maratime
>Never zoom out
>>
>game in a most irrelevant boring ass place possible
Yawn
>>
>>1735715
yea, the location is nice tho
>>
>>1735709
I tried that and now I want something that's closer to the ground. Staring at a map doesn't quite do it for me.
>>1735715
>Europe is overdone
>China and Japan lacks variety
>Africa and Native Americas lacks written sources
That leaves post-colonial LatAm, India, Central Asia, or the Middle East. Of course I will shill the setting of my homeland lol, but I will happily take any of the other four as well.
>>
>>1735729
>>1735739
>t. SEA monkey
No one cares about this area of Earth and it was never relevant to the history of humanity and never will be.
If you want to have a game set there you have to make it yourself.
>>
>>1735754
i dont know anything about the region it just looks cool
>>
>>1735754
>don't like thing
>come into thread about thing
>get mad
If you have so many games set where you already want them why aren't you off playing them instead? Besides this is Video Game/Strategy, not Video Games/Wherever-You're-From-Only.
>If you want to have a game set there you have to make it yourself.
I'm not putting a gun to your head to tell you to make it you retard. Take your shitty negativity back to /v/.
>>
>>1735500
Wasn't there a Warband mod that was really well done about this area in like 1600s?
>>
>>1735769
https://www.moddb.com/mods/suvarnabhumi-mahayuth-11
Is this the one?
>>
>>1735715
Nah SEA is a really fascinating location for a game, when the yuros show up
>>
>>1735715
>>1735754
>>1735773
Why do people always file SEAsia alongside new world oogaboogas? They had cool architecture, adopted pike&shot from the west, had proper sailing tech.
>lol BTFO by whites
Everyone did thoughever. But people don't find say medieval Islam or Mongols any less kino for it.
>>
>>1735500
How is everything between Bengal to Papua New Guinea aligned with Burma?
>>
File: 1697583889586.jpg (506 KB, 1918x1080)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>>1735790
Burma is just that small To. spot there, which is the Toungoo dynasty before its rise. I think the logic here was to highlight only the countries that have legitimate successors today, or maybe just "relevant" countries by some other measure.
>>
>>1735500
I get you are from there and you are biased but from the outside it’s an exotic place but not very interesting from a historical strategy game pov. Only interesting parts are foreign powers fighting over it.
I am open to a fictional modern day warfare a la red dragon exploring the unique jungle island warfare plus naval combo
>>
File: 1708537434681.jpg (118 KB, 620x465)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1735769
This is great, thanks. Still wishing for a full-on Total War or a shameless rip-off of it though.
>>1735815
Is cold war stuff really gonna sell any better than early modern? I don't think Americans know much about the area other than Vietnam, and I don't know if Euros are interested in history of their no-longer-colonies.
>Only interesting parts are foreign powers fighting over it.
Only initially, like the slow expansion of the Dutch East Indies. Late colonial SEA is pretty boring, everyone just gets steamrolled and borders stay put until WW1.
>>
>>1735500
Sell me on it then.

There is definitely a lot of interesting stuff that happened outside of Europe, West Asia has gunpowder empires, East Asia has China and Japan...but why should I care about SEA?
>>
>>1735836
100% you already know about SEA history if you're on this board e.g. fall of Khmer, Majapahit expansion, rise of Malay sultanates, Siam vs Burma feud, early Chinese naval colonies and expeditions, etc. If you're not into it then you're not into it, if you are then you are. Some foreigners just are (sometimes even more than us in our own history). Besides it's not only westerners that have to make it or buy it. Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are interested in history here too, even though memes have people believe they don't care about any history outside their country.
>West Asia
More games set there would be cool too.
>>
>>1735500
Me too. I want a simulator where I can play a bloated, alcoholic expat who teaches English by day but at night bangs hookers in Phuket.
>>
I wonder why there aren't more of these threads for various different parts of the world.
>>
>>1735696
>>1735826
>Total War
Monkey's paw. You WILL get it and it WILL be shit like Pharaoh because CA hasn't been competent in years
>>1735784
American hours. They file everything they don't have ancestry from under oogabooga
>>1735878
/vst/ hates what-if threads. They get ignored all the time in favor of talking only about existing series, it doesn't really matter what setting is being talked about
>>
>>1735890
>They file everything they don't have ancestry from under oogabooga
Not true. Africa and Papua New Guinea are oogabooga. Southeast Asia is sweatshops, foxholes, durian, canings, and ladyboys.
>>
>>1735754
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>1735943
Go back to /gif/
>>
>>1735864
I'm from there and I'm not even into it. Mostly because total lack of writings just make almost every story be someone's headcanon. We're still at stone age when Caesar is stabbed by the senators goddammit.
>>
>>1735754
>it was never relevant to the history of humanity
Columbus sailed the Atlantic in order to get there.
>>
>>1735784
Sorry but I can't change that I'm right. When yuros started trouble and the upheaval that followed was the most exciting period of that part of the world.
>>
>>1735943
Go back to /vt/
>>
>>1735500
Written history in that region is quite sparse before the arrival of Europeans. Detailed records about them before Europeans come from the Chinese. Unlike Europeans, the Chinese rarely engaged in conflict with the Southeast Asians, making their historical records less suitable for video game campaigns or settings. They are only good in games that cover the entire world due to their strategic locations and abundant natural resources.
>>
>>1736094
>>1736411
>>1736525
>/vst/ education
You're thinking of the Angkor period or some shit. SEA from the 16th century forward DID have decent records, substantial contact with the West, etc. Siamese diplomats were already learning Portuguese to deal with traders by then, European and Muslim mercenaries were employed as artillery corps and sailors, etc.
>>
>>1735650
The civs are cool but the Rajas campaigns are all terrible.
>>
>>1736713
But I don't wanna see E***peans, and they are the ones who actually write. So the only playable eras are the shitty ones
>>
>>1736786
Man you're a picky one you know that?
>>
File: 142344312.png (105 KB, 485x1021)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
It becomes cool when the Europeans show up with pikes, plate armor, sailing ships, and firearms.
Not exactly this region but this battle gives you an idea of what happens when you put the things above together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Battle_of_Cochin&oldid=1183028986
>>
>>1736810
Some seething pajeet defaced that wiki page btw, I posted an old version.
>>
File: 42960_20200531162608_1.png (1.71 MB, 1440x900)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
>>1735500
Hand made to be colonized.
>>
>>1736824
>Russian Malaya
>>
>>1735836
flip here, there was a war between Spain occupation Philippines vs moro locals like Sulu and Brunei, Spain brought in flip natives, mexicans and other south americans against ottoman reinforcements, so uhh I think Janissaries fought Tlaxcaltec if that's cool enough of a concept
>>
>>1735500
they would have to get naval combat right which no company seems to be capable of
>>
>>1736786
If you actually can enjoy CK3, then I suggest Rajas of Asia. Their team did a shit load of research, no game else comes close
>>
>>1735715
Not really. The euros can be a good endgame threat though
>>
>>1735784
>They had cool architecture, adopted pike&shot from the west, had proper sailing tech.
Academic discourse on Southeast Asia is littered with pseudo-nationalist memes promoted by the Government for propaganda purposes.
It also doesn't help that a majority of SEA trash on 4chan are cancerous phoneposting fucks who parrots boomer tier facebook memes and pass it off as actual history.
>>
>>1741669
It's not difficult to generate a rough idea of what reality was like back then. You take snippets of gov-taught history, western-researched history, actual present ruins and remnants, analysis of existing culture, the records of nearby civilizations that actually did keep records, and then use it all to construct a semi-grounded estimate of what it would have been like. That much is enough for a game, unless it bothers you that much that some local SEA kingdom might be portrayed slightly more advanced than they actually were, and can put up a better fight against European powers than they did in real life.

You can't please everyone in the end with these sort of games, Paradox forums always gets all sorts of "MY COUNTRY WASN'T LIKE THAT" shit all the time. The important part is that it's balanced and fun, the history is always just a backdrop in the end.
>>
>>1735709
One of my favorite EU4 campaigns was where I started as Makassar and conquered the rest of Indonesia, colonized Australia before the whytebois arrived, formed Malaya, and economically cucked the Chinese.
>>
>>1735500
I got an idea for a Sid Meier's Pirate or Uncharted Waters like games in SEA. Maritime SEA as a huge Carribean Islands equivalent with Singapore as a Tortuga and Mainland SEA as a Mexico analogue.
>>
>>1742745
I realize Skulls and Bones (2024) was exactly that but it's crappy Ubisoft tax write off shovelware.
>>
>>1735754
you should thank them for domesticating chicken, rice, and sugarcane
>>
>>1735754
Europe literally developed itself into the center of the world just to get access to SEA
>>
File: phpQhrWJJ.jpg (122 KB, 800x450)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1742745
heh
Uncharted: Waters
>>
>>1735500
I thought mainland and maritime rarely interacted with one another, just some occasional Thai Malay border friction.
>>1735696
Total War might work as some Saga thing but not mainline game I think.
>>
>>1735500
maybe the next HoI4 DLC would focus around this region
still don't know how to make it interesting
>>
File: 1694188769259355.png (177 KB, 1188x1075)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
I want a historically accurate game set in medieval Thailand where the women look like men (and the men look like women).
>>
>>1746763
Why did non-whites all look so miserable and unhappy in those 19th century photos?
>>
>>1735715
it's just more cerebral than the ooga booga build boat fire cannon most games are designed as, would require exponentially better AI than what's available currently
>>
>>1737028
it'd be too taxing since shit like weather and currents are THE terrain of sail combat, and they constantly change unlike land terrain
>>
>>1735500
SEAmonkeys are terrible fucking posters with terrible taste in media, so they don't deserve shit for that alone
>>
File: 1698745744333.png (784 KB, 725x490)
784 KB
784 KB PNG
>>1746763
We westernized our own clothing without ever being a colony. It was always inevitable since our royals had been westaboos since the 17th century
>>1746767
I would be too if I had to live in these boiling tropics before AC and electric fan was invented. At least Arabs got cold desert nights
>>1746772
>>1747048
I seriously doubt we don't already have the tech to do this by now
>>1747053
We don't have money either and have pirated for as long as Russians and Brazilians have. If there's a game set here it's gonna have to be because first world countries wants to buy it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.