[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: banished.jpg (1.63 MB, 2560x1440)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
Whenever i see new city builder released it gets called Banished clone, Is it really the king of city builders?
>>
"BAnished clone" is mostly just a buzzword people use to refer to any medieva/historicall city building games with survival elements. Banished was shit , but I guess that's exactly why people are so hungry for a game that's "Banished except not shit."
>>
Banished was the first city builder most people played where you could actually lose.
It was really simplistic and shallow, and stopping the whole death cascade meme was actually really easy, but most people were too dumb to figure that out quickly, so for them it might have seemed very fleshed out.
>>
>>1737009
It’s more specific than that but it’s a comfy setting
>>
>>1737009
Caesar and Pharao were already decades old when this one showed up. Most people had never played a city builder like this and being the first gets you the "tittle". Like skyrim with guns or Souls of...
>>
>>1737101
oh so its caesar 3 for zoomers, is it also as hard? maybe its worth trying out
>>
>>1737009
It was cheap so alot of people bought it.
I think banished clone is a derogatory phrase used in place of barebones
>>
>>1737107
it's okay, had some mods but ultimately dev lacked inspiration, cashed and left...
I tried Farthest Frontier at the end of the last year and was almost the same game but expanded.
>>
>>1737106
>caesar 3
>hard
I've only played Pharaoh and Emperor and the only hard part was remembering to have some people settle in your city so that your empty buildings don't start burning, before pasting your pre-planned blocks on the map. Does Caesar have some extra forgotten features? How can it be hard?
>>
>>1737162
some scenarios were really cruel but not really that hard. Plan and build and everything will be okay.
>>
>>1737162
its definitely more demanding compared to usual sim city games which are glorified map painters
>>
>>1737016
>the first city builder most people played where you could actually lose.
Sorry, I don't know any other city builders where you can't lose except Sim City. Even Tropico you can lose so...
>>
>>1737177
not really, you need to be braindead to lose tropico game. You can leave the game playing alone and it will still make enough money with basic farming.
>>
>>1737195
you have to be really stupid to lose in banished too so we come back around to the question of what makes banished stand out
>>
>>1737009
No nigger. It's an indie game made by one guy using the easiest to use engine so everyone and their mother easily copy it.
Also how could it be a city builder when the UN wouldn't even label the shitholes you can make a village.
>>
>>1737213
not really... One mistake leads to a spiral of death. Tropico you will always count with new migrants coming every month.
>>
>>1737009
Banished was the first successful that combine every of the following aspects: actor based (so every citizen is an actual person, different from the impression games), resource management (quite a staple at this point, but having mass starvation made it stand out), with no money (almost every city builder has some kind of currency) and it combined everything in a indie game, with comfy aesthetics (don't tell me a medieval village with wooden houses in the middle of the forest isn't comfy), where the only real danger is your own imcompetence
So, whenever an indie game with most of these elements comes out, people fall back to comparing to it
It would be like if people called every new RTS game a Dune II clone
>>
>>1737177
You can lose the original SimCity too, by going bankrupt.
>>
>>1737009
1st doesnt mean best
>>
>>1737213
tropico, anno, and the cesar games didnt have the micromanagement of assigning individual villagers to buildings or resources. It combined the resource management of RTS games with city builders like the ones i just mentioned to make a new "sub genre" of city builders but just like them theres not really any goals to strive for in an end game like there are for ceasar or tropico. I got hope for Manor Lords but idk because every other banished clone so far has been the same thing just with different graphics.
>>
>>1737231
>It would be like if people called every new RTS game a Dune II clone
People call every new RTS a SC2 clone, so it's close.
>>
>>1737274
Which is the best?
>>
>>1737012
Fpbp, but to add onto it a bit more Banished is a really shallow game and was incredibly cheap to make. So other devs feel tempted to tap into the market because it poses very little risks. Also calling it a city builder is misleading considering that the game can't even handle more than a couple hundred people before becoming unstable.
>>
>>1737101
Impression City Builders are more or less a separate genre compared to Banished. Completely different mechanics and completely different gameplay loop, the only thing similar about them is you place down buildings.
>>
>>1737009
these "new city builders" dont have anything new in their core gameplay.
>>
I hated every aspect of this game except the pleasant medieval wooden aesthetic. AoE2 is a better "city builder" than this trash.
>>
>>1737759
the last original game that got released in this "genre" was timberborn and its still half way done after 3 years in ea
>>
>>1739016
>timberborn
>original
I liked it, but a lot of the mechanics and overall gameplay are still the same as Banished and it's siblings.
>Rotating seasons where some resources/productions are blocked off, and requiring previsions to survive it.
>New resource tier requiring the accumulation of resources in the lower tier
>Happiness metric and demographic waves of your citizens
The thing that they added were elevation mechanics (the best thing and need more of it IMO), and power. Perhaps also the dystopian cloning vats, a la demographic control, for Iron Teeth.

Interestingly in difference of gameplay I found Ratopia to be more "original" in this regard; although sharing a lot of the same mechanics. Granted it could be a different genre all together (2D vs 3D city building).
>>
>>1739068
yes its original because of the water physics and all the related mechanics, stop sperging out
>>
File: im-424346.jpg (181 KB, 1280x1280)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
What actually is the most similar game to Banished that came out prior to it anyway? I didn't want to say Black & White 2 because it sounds ridiculous, but >>1737231 made me realize that the only elements B&W2 doesn't share with Banished are the threat of over extension and natural disasters.
>>
>>1739224
its settlers influenced by the age of survival simulators that started with minecraft
>>
>>1739257
I completely forgot about Settlers for some reason. That sounds more accurate than my suggestion
>>
>banished
>not a shameless manor lords clone
>>
>>1737009
>it gets called Banished clone
By dumb zoomers who never played the old city builders (Caesar etc).
>>
>>1739583
Get with the times, we've moved on to Augustus.
>>
>>1739583
impressions games are their own genre they have nothing to do with the colony survival sims plague that is ravaging the game industry rn
>>
File: proxy-image2.jpg (239 KB, 1280x720)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1739224
>What actually is the most similar game to Banished that came out prior to it anyway?
Stronghold.
>>
>>1739905
The two are way too different to be compared. Stronghold is actually good for example.
>>
File: 1610079220875.jpg (183 KB, 700x678)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>1739905
>stronghold online
>>
>>1740332
oh god I didn't even know this existed
>failed MMO stronghold redesigned for smartphones
Classic Firefly Studios
>>
File: 1687965311763106.png (1.08 MB, 1612x318)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
I liked Kingdom & Castles more than Banished. Not sure why.
>>
>>1740451
>that art style
Gross.
>>
>>1740451
maximum comfy. build the wall and watch the viking hordes break against it.
>>
File: knm.jpg (163 KB, 620x465)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
For me, its Knights and Merchants.
>>
Banished with Colonial Charter mod was peak comfy.
>>
>>1737213
Most people have lost in banished. I even had one retard on /v/ tell me that the game is "broken" because your villagets will just "randomly explode for no reason"
>>
I need a game exactly like this but with more shit to do, even mobileslop like Townsmen is welcome.
>>
>>1746021
When you say exactly like this, do you mean setting wise or in terms of gameplay?
>>
>>1746021
life is feudal forest village is literally this game but with more stuff.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.