[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: VABU_Martin-Molina-scaled.jpg (130 KB, 2048x1427)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
birdwatching thread
what are your recent lifers etc
I am going to arizona this summer I hope to see varied bunting
>>
saw one of these fellas last time I went
they are very pretty
painted redstart
>>
>>4747891
where in AZ?
>>
>>4747905
south of tucson
>>
File: gila woodpecker.jpg (174 KB, 819x1024)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>4747908
sweet, that's where I used to live
loved these guys
>>
File: 75714641-1200px.jpg (70 KB, 1200x635)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4747920
in florida we have red bellied woodpeckers which are pretty similar to gila woodpeckers
>>
File: variedthrush.jpg (360 KB, 1567x1175)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
SW WA state, had a varied thrush come to the feeder during a cold snap. Had never seen one before
>>
>>4747933
I have heard them before in Washington but never seen one
their call is kind of spooky late in the evening because its insanely loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDiszvVTurU
>>
>>4747936
thanks I was wondering what that was
>>
I have these guys every now and then, but I don't know their names.

Can you tell me their names?
>>
>>4747947
lesser goldfinch and house finch
>>
>>4747947
looks like lesser goldfinch & house finch. I see those daily at my feeders
>>
Wow nice. How can I expand my setup? I just have this little window thing. Do more feeders = more birds?
>>
>>4747959
I have a small space & have a bath, hummingbird feeder, seed feeder, suet feeder, and put seed on the ground for ground feeders. Also raw peanuts in shell for the jays, which are hilarious.
>>
>>4747959
I think more types of feeders usually helps more
make sure you dont use millet or milo, birds dont really eat it
putting out fruit and suet can attract good birds at the right times of year
>>
File: lefty.jpg (156 KB, 892x663)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Last summer I had a house finch with a janky left eye that would visit. Wonder if he's still alive
>>
>>4747973
house finch disease is very deadly and very contagious unfortunately
>>
>>4747977
damn I thought he just got injured or something. He stuck around all summer tho
>>
>>4747930
saw 3 or 4 of these and also a downy woodpecker today pretty cool
>>
>>4747959
If you live in an area with orioles, I put grape jelly in feeders. Or I cut in half and hook oranges onto feeder in April-June to attract orioles. They love oranges or grape jelly.
>>
>>4747891
Thanks to Wuflu I haven't got a life bird since early 2020. Going to try to go again to my old haunts this year if possible.
>>
>>4748113
I tried this but it dries out so fast it's kind of a waste. Also attracts ants. I put mealworms in the jelly once and starlings ate it. They got jelly beaks which was funny.

Now I just use a nectar oriole feeder with the same stuff I feed to hummingbirds. So hummingbirds use it too, and occasionally a woodpecker will.
>>
>>4747891
I had an early woodcock doing the woodcock mating dance in my back yard which sounds really cool. Have not seen it since it got cold and very windy after that, he probably kept migrating or just decided to wait a bit before doing the dance again.
Also been hearing pileated woodpecker a lot, drumming every morning and some calling but I have yet to see it. I tried looking around with binoculars but there's so many trees and branches I can never spot it.
>>
>>4748147
ignore this instigator faggot
>>
>>4748242
you pretty much have to place it out when you know there are orioles in the area. For me that is about 1 week of the year.
>>
>>4747891
>what are your recent lifers etc
>I am going to arizona this summer I hope to see varied bunting
What does any of this mean
>>
>>4747891
Most recent lifer was Clark's Grebe. Been trying for Swamp Sparrow but it keeps eluding me.
>>4747920
Once I saw that webm of a Gila woodpecker pecking and sucking out the brains of two dove nestlings I can never really look at them the same way.
>>4747933
2/3 of the world's Varied Thrushes winter in WA, I am around the Tacoma area and get tons in my yard.
>>4747973
If you get another bird like this you need to take down and sanitize the feeder. Keep it down for a couple weeks to let the birds spread out and reduce the chance of infection.
>>
>>4748550
a 'lifer' is a bird species you have seen for the first time. it is a birdwatching term.
varied bunting is a species of bird. the one in the picture.
>>
>>4748621
Where are you looking for swamp sparrow? I did not know they lived in Washington.
They are very common here in Florida.
>>
>>4748630
They winter here, but they are rare. There are usually 1-2 reported per county per winter in Western Washington. I have tried quite a few times at known locations I just have bad luck.
>>
>>4748271
How is it wrong? Or did you just ignore lockdown for three years and go out anyway?
>>
woodcock was singing again but too much traffic and noise pollution I couldn't hear it very well. fuck people
>>
>>4748819
The only lockdown I experienced was about 3 weeks in April/May 2020 when local parks were closed and people were asked to only go out for essential purposes. I've been living and birding normally since then. Sorry your country sucks, bro.
>>
>>4748859
My local wildlife refuge was closed from around April 2020 to June 2022. Mid 2021 they re-opened (limited) trails but the visitor center stayed closed.
>>
File: IMG_1273.jpg (1.46 MB, 4032x3024)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>4748242
Like the other anon said it is best if you know they are around to put them up. I get a bunch of orchard and Baltimore orioles for two months around me. So it’s worth it to put them up and see them. I’ve also got it hooked on a clothes line and ants haven’t found it.
>>
>>4748630
In near the Washington border and every so often I hear of a swamp sparrow on ebird but I never saw one. I was at a swamp once and a guy near me swore one was in the bushes but I looked and only saw a brown blur and didn't know the sound so I couldn't verify it but he swore up and down it was a swamp sparrow. They seem very elusive.
>>
>>4748991
damn what a beauty
I still have never seen a breeding male balitmore oriole. I have seen orchard but baltimore never comes to my area except for like a week
>>
I heard pine siskins chittering around when I went for a walk today. Rarely see them but it's cool to hear them talk.
>>
I want to befriend a wild crow so bad.
>>
File: crow.png (152 KB, 1847x431)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
Reposting my crow experience from a few years ago.
>>
Birds are great but damn. I live in an apartment complex outside of Baltimore so I set up a big-ass feeder pole in a pot of dirt on my balcony to get birds. It worked but all I got was finches and sparrows and those motherfuckers are the sloppiest shits I ever met. I was going through entire bags of seed in a few days and half of it end up spread all over the balcony rather than getting eaten. Did one with oranges and jelly too but never got any Orioles. A couple of pretty cardinals but nothing else. Had to take it down, it was too messy and expensive.
>>
>>4749489
I saw a raven recently that was trying to get a root out of the ground, but it was really deeply attached to the soil. It was smart enough to delicately strip the fibrous bark off the base of the root so it could snap it off. Very intelligent little creatures.
>>
>>4749438
I've had a ton of them all winter mixed in with goldfinches. First year I ever noticed any and it's a lot of them. Someone said it was because of wildfires in Canada last year they migrated south to find food. Which makes sense although I didn't get any redpolls which I would expect as well.
>>
>>4749998
I think siskins are technically a type of goldfinch, makes sense theyd be together
>>
>>4750478
They are both "spinus" genus - closely related, look similar and behave almost identically. They can hybridize as well.
>>
>>4749998
When there is a bad pinecone harvest up north we get flooded with them. It becomes a real problem with salmonella because they gravitate towards suburban feeders and spread it to everyone. This last winter wasn't bad but last year's there were a lot of issues reported.
>>
>>4750567
I had that, can't remember if it was last year or the one before, but yeah there were some dead finches on my deck and I saw locally a lot of other people had them too. I took my feeders down for a while after that.
>>
>>4750567
I haven't noticed any sick finches this year, they all seem pretty healthy. I've had a few over the years, one little goldfinch was eating on the ground which is very unusual for them. He had enough energy to fly away from me into a feeder and just sat there for hours not eating. Finally I put a box behind him and he just hopped right in, then a few hours later started making sputtering sounds and died.
Rest in peace little guy. I buried him under a rock so someday he can be soil that grows into a tree and be a home and food for more goldfinches.

I also had a junco that flew into a window, I put it in a cardboard box and then I had to go to work so I couldn't check on it for a while, but when I did there was poop in the box and no bird so I'm hoping he got better and flew away. I have decals on that window but sometimes the birds all get scared at once and scatter and they just don't look where they're going.
>>
>>4750848
My first window strike in a long time was last week, a Varied Thrush died instantly. When I was outside looking at it I saw a Cooper's Hawk hopping under a bush. So the Thrush was very likely trying to get away from the hawk. I also have markings on the windows, but in desperation they probably make no difference. There have been documented cases of what ornithologists believe is raptors intentionally scaring flocks into buildings to get one to hit a window for an easier meal.
>>
>>4750868
I wonder about that because I rarely see any hawks around but birds still just randomly get scared of *something* and scatter. Often a few of them just sit there like "what's going on?" and don't move, and they're fine, nothing happens.
I did see a hawk come in one time and just picked up a mourning dove from my deck railing like it was a to-go bag of McDonald's and flew off with it. Dove didn't even make a sound. I was just like oh shit... bye dovey...
>>
>>4750882
Sometimes I see birds at my feeder just freeze and not move for like 20-30 minutes. I can only assume a hawk is in the area and they're trying to not be detected.
>>
There's a pileated woodpecker really close by in the woods. He's been calling for like half an hour. I want to see that bastard but I'll probably scare him off if I go in looking.
>>
>>4751089
In my experience, Pileateds are not easily scared off. They usually don't seem very interested in what people are doing.
>>
>>4751363
I was at a state park once and the thing landed on a stump right in front of the visitor center and gave zero fucks about the people around him.
>>
File: 476A6611.jpg (2.83 MB, 1920x1280)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
Saw this baddie yesterday
>>
File: 1800.jpg (458 KB, 1800x1350)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
>>4751729
We have the extreme version of those in Florida (reddish egret)
>>
>>4751729
How much exp did you get for felling it?
>>
I have a big dead tree in my backyard and I get lots of downy, hairy, red-bellied woodpeckers, the occasional flicker, and the rare pileated.
>what are your recent lifers
Got Clark's nutcracker and a black-billed magpie on a ski trip to Colorado. Saw a bunch of raptors and waterfowl that I'd never seen too.
>>
>>4747891
>live in flat in large uk city
>look out window
>see crows, magpies, pidgeons and the occasional finch
I fucking hate it here.
>>
File: 297027781-480px.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
/!\ ALERT /!\
SPRING WARBLER MIGRATION BEGINS THIS WEEKEND
>>
I saw a blue jay in Calgary last week. That's really weird. This is outside their normal range and just barely within the border of outlier spottings.
>>4751089
There is a jackass northern flicker who has taken to pecking at my chimney around noon every day for last two weeks. I will kill that motherfucker i swear to god.
>>
>>4752400
>look out window
>see crow
Today was a good day.
>>
>>4752457
Too bad we don't really get waves of warblers on the west side like eastern NA does.
>>4752529
Cockblocker
>>
>>4752529
I got a downy or flicker, can't tell which since both live here, waking me up at 7 a.m. most days pecking the wall of my bedroom. Then he starts in poking the gutters and it sounds like a power drill going off.
>>
>>4752821
Flickers are notorious for doing this. I have never seen Downy or Hairy doing it. Flickers also go to the top of trees and have a very loud call, so this falls in line with their natural behavior.
>>
cute blackheaded gulls are back in my town
>>
>>4752807
west has better birds in general plus you get hummingbird migration and more vagrants from south america.
id prefer to live in the western us for birdwatching personally. I always go to the west side of the country for birdwatching trips.
>>
File: 70582691-1280px.jpg (73 KB, 1280x960)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>4752970
West has Steller's Jays too which are badass
>>
>>4753174
The most badass jay lives in Texas
>>
>>4752970
Yeah, not complaining about living on the west side, we get Asian vagrants here in Washington that the East Coast can only dream about. But, in general there is not really any big spring/fall migration events to look forward to.
>>
>>4753287
really? what kind of asian vagrants do you get in washington that sounds cool.
we get some cool exotics here in florida but most of the year its kind of lackluster
>>
Welp it's officially spring, male cardinals are no longer eating peacefully together but started to chase after each other so nobody gets to eat lol

no grackles yet though
>>
>>4753292
different anon but a Siberian Accentor caused thousands of people to go look for it in 2020. It's probably my most rare get.
>>
>>4753292
In the last couple years we have had: multiple Whooper Swans, Emperor Geese, Common Cranes, Bramblings, a couple others. Last year we had a Red-Flanked Bluetail, this year we had a Little Bunting that got eaten by a Merlin but a few people managed to see it.
>>
>tfw only 268 life list
Well I hate traveling so this is pretty good considering I never leave my immediate area.
>>
>>4753451
I'm stuck in mid-300s hell. That is pretty close to the total recorded species in my state. Likewise I hate going for long drive and especially staying in hotels so for the time being I am stuck. All the local birds I am missing are either difficult to find or illusive in some way.
>>
hi i live in southern sweden and i think i saw something like an eagle swerving around. i've never seen anything like it and it was above a city which made it seem unusual. it flew low and had some kind of patterns with a circle and a dot or something trippy-ish on both wings. maybe its a falcon but i've googled for both on images and found nothing like it.
later down my path home, there was a man shouting out a foreign name while being very agitated, and this was just around 300m away from the bird. maybe it was his eagle that had escaped.

tldr: what eagle like bird with a wide wingspan has circular patterns on its wings?
>>
>>4753635
>>4753451
After around 300 you really have to start traveling out of your state unless you have a lot of time to be trawling ebird
>>
>>4753654
Maybe it was tagged like California condors
>>
>>4754156
i think it was some super rare bird
glad it escaped
>>
juncos came out for the first time in like a month!
>>
>>4747891
During the summer and spring a cardinal couple usually comes around to eat in my family's garden. A mockingbird couple as well.
When my dad ploughs in spring and summer, robins come around to eat all the worms that can be dug up easily.
>>
>>4755425
Speaking of the mockingbird couple, I remember seeing them harassing a cat to tell said cat to piss off because their kid was nearby.
Also I remember when their kid was trying to cross the street to them and almost got run over by a passing car. Thankfully he made it.
>>
>>4755425
One time I was walking in the park and I saw a robin pulling a worm from the ground. It was a scene straight up lifted from a cartoon. Until then I didn't know they really pulled worms from the ground but it was fun to watch.
>>
has anyone here seen Elegant Trogon before?
any tips on finding one? looking around southern az
>>
8 inches of snow
18 burger degrees out
everything is coated heavily with ice
all the trees are bending over
how do birds survive this?
they don't even wake up late

there's even a red winged blackbird singing like haha fuck the weather it's spring baby!
>>
>>4755796
birds are just built tougher than us
>>
>>4755796
Imagine you had an ultra puffy down jacket covering your whole body. Now imagine you can control your metabolism to conserve energy. Now imagine the extremities of your body such as legs and feet lack nerve endings so you don't feel the cold. If you had all those things, you'd probably be ok, too.
>>
Novice birdwatcher. Went on a trip to the coast of South Carolina and wound up wandering into what I assume to be a heron nesting colony. Tri-color herons, little blue herons, snowy egrets, even an anhinga and a couple double breasted cormorants. Went out to a marsh area later and found a bunch of great egrets and an osprey on the hunt. Eventually the osprey flew off overhead clutching a fish and a brown pelican landed behind it. Not exactly rare birds but I'm pretty pleased with the trip (I saw a lot more but that was what I found particularly interesting.) Didn't bother taking any photos though since my phone camera sucks and I just shelled out for some decent binoculars
Also, it's fun watching formations of brown pelicans patrol up and down the beach, they fly so close to each other
>>
>>4756399
I love that loud slap sound when a Pelican dives for a fish.
>>
>>4753783
I know a guy's been looking for birds since 2010 and he's only got 290 and he's been through Washington, Oregon, and California. I'd say he's more hardcore than me, but it's like unless you're hitting up the gulf coast you're not ever going to hit the big numbers.
>>
>>4756709
if he has been to california and is under 300 then he probably isnt trying very hard
>>
migration seems to have began in florida
yesterday i saw
>indigo bunting
>orchard oriole
>hooded warbler
>>
>>4756762
I look forward to indigo buntings... won't see them until sometime in May though. They usually hang out with my goldfinches.
>>
>>4756399
thats cool
take a close look at the snowy egrets when they are in breeding plumage, they look really cool. their face turns red and they get the fancy plume feathers
>>
>>4755436
I am the guy you are responding to. When my dad ploughs, the robins often bring their juveniles to teach them how to pick worms.

The intelligence of city/small birds is masively underrated compared to parrots and corvids.
>>
>>4756761
Just looking at his ebird profile, he's got 149 in WA, 275 in OR, and 110 in CA. Obviously quite a few overlaps but I don't know how much time he spent in CA. From what I heard it was mostly a flight to Orange county and back, but he picked up a lot of marine species we don't have in Oregon.
>>
>>4757104
thats weird I guess thats what happens when you dont travel much
I am at like ~320 and I have only been recording since 2020
>>
My red-breasted nuthatches have come back but my hummingbirds have gone MIA.
>>
>>4747930
uh, that pecker has a red HEAD, not a red belly? Awkward..
>>
>>4757126
>>4757104
If you are mostly casual, then there are a lot of birds that if you break it down won't be noticed. Gulls, sandpipers, even some sparrows - maybe 30 or 40 more challenging birds to ID. Plus if you have never done a pelagic trip, that's 30 or so missing from your life list. If you don't put in the work to ID tougher birds then I could see low-300s for someone only doing the West Coast even after 14 years.
>>4757144
They do have a red belly, but yes the name should be fixed to something better (obviously not red-headed, tho). Ring-necked Duck also needs a new name.
>>
>>4757133
Same. Where the hell are the hummingbirds? My feeder's been deserted for a good month now. I finally just took it down yesterday.
>>
>>4757312
Depends where you live, hummingbird season is usually pretty short outside of the west/southwest
>>
I had I think the most birds ever today. I've had a lot of goldfinches and pine siskins all winter but today was just insane. Maybe a flock migrating back north merged with my existing flock. There were hundreds upon hundreds of them, mostly siskins plus dozens of juncos are also back out since it snowed. Grackles just came back for spring and they can't even get much to eat because the finches are like a dense swarm around the bird feeders and the ground below. They constantly bicker with each other over eating positions so it sounds like a cacophony of little angry chirps mixed in with usual tweets.

I feel kinda blessed, but also like god damn go find some other houses with bird feeders, there's just not room for every finch in north america to congregate in my back yard.
>>
File: IMG_2496.jpg (624 KB, 1130x1778)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
Cooper's Hawks nesting in my yard again this year. Can't wait to see the juvies taking their first flights in a few months. Of course there will be plenty of Juncos for them to eat, too.

Posted this in the owl thread the other day, GHOs nesting near family friend's house.
>>
>>4758454
Today it was much less busy. Still a fair number of finches bud not a giant all day long swarm. Maybe yesterday they were gorging themselves before heading back north.
>>
>>4758519
Never seen a hawk nest, that's awesome
>>
File: 20240327_150732729_iOS.jpg (1.55 MB, 1980x1497)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
Noisy Killdeer came back again this year.
>>
File: 20240223_114636.jpg (866 KB, 4032x3024)
866 KB
866 KB JPG
>>4759037
Yooo I saw this guy too.
>>
File: Capture.png (2.04 MB, 883x930)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>>4753174
These guys are extremely silly
>>
File: plover.jpg (120 KB, 1205x1567)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>4759037
god they love being in shitty areas.

heres an endangered birb
>>
>>4759512
Is that a snowy? I saw one a few years back. I feel pretty lucky to have even found it.
>>
File: DSC_3747.jpg (112 KB, 1469x1004)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>4759566
yep, snowy plovers. super cute burnt que tips.
>>
File: plover.jpg (46 KB, 639x426)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>4759566
>>4759583
They live on the coast of my state. They are so tiny it's easy to miss them as they run around on the sand. Also they have the cutest babies in the bird world, imo.
>>
File: sad.jpg (587 KB, 1276x2268)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>
>>4759680
The majority of plover mortality is from cats released by humans and gulls, crows, raccoons, and rats attracted by humans. Kind of sad that garbage and catfaggotry nearly eliminated this species and the only thing conservations can count on asking for is people leaving their dogs at home
>>
>>4759687
Well people don't usually bring their cats to the beach
>>
File: DSC_5899.jpg (207 KB, 1697x1128)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>4759687

damn, was afraid of bringing in an argument into this thread by posting a bird. I do not post on /an/ too often and hope this doesnt shit up the thread too much.

I agree , though, it is incredibly sad. I love these cute fuckers so much and it saddens me deeply whenever I see a nesting site so close to humans. At one location I visited, there was a snowy plover nest a quarter mile away from a Taco Bell.

>>4759702
But here on the west coast, there are beaches close to human civilization, all too close to whatever humans bring with them, like trash, cats, and unleashed dogs.
>>
File: flicker tower.jpg (1.1 MB, 1080x1620)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>
>>4759702
Actually they do. People live by the beach and think it would be romantic if their cat could roam it.
>>
>>4759680
I see similar signs during breeding season on the beaches here and every fucking time there's some asshole letting his dog run right through the restricted area.
>>
File: 1693126577058842.png (92 KB, 326x134)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
can anyone identify this bird
it landed in my garden
victoria, australia near the barwon river
>>
>>4759980
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_white_ibis
>>
I like this one crow that just walks around my yard picking at the ground. He seems lonely.
>>
>>4760012
a second crow has joined my buddy and he is no longer lonely. they are making noise at each other like "ahhhhh" and "cr-cr-cr-cr-cr"
>>
>>4759773
Same. They’re never on a leash too so the owners have no way to stop them and they don’t even listen when they call for them. Shitty situation
>>
Got a great horned going nuts outside my apartment right now (1:30 a.m.). He's been hooting for a half hour already.
>>
File: 1711797309125_1.jpg (13 KB, 226x243)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Raven in the blue jay feeder
>>
File: 1711797357686_1.jpg (18 KB, 324x260)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Raven has managed to open the suet cage on the side and take the suet brick out, but it's heavy, too heavy to fly back to the nest with
>>
File: 1711797429813_1.jpg (30 KB, 384x335)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Raven must cut the suet brick in half with beak
>>
File: 1711797434563_1.jpg (29 KB, 391x321)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Got it! Raven is off... back to the nest to feed the kids
>>
I've seen them do this last year too, but never got it on camera
>>
All I have heard/seen around my apartment complex lately are house sparrows. If I set up a feeder near my patio, do I have any hope of attracting other bird species to the area?
>>
>>4762543
Do you live in the US? songbirds are migrating right now.
a feeder will attract more birds, house sparrows dont eat out of feeders that much
>>
>>4762546
Yeah I live in the Chicago suburbs. I heard that I should get a feeder in place before mating season, which I guess is soon.
>>
>be 7:00AM
>roof vent above my bedroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2wIOcO7aE&t=13s

every morning now this cunt is at it
>>
>>4762568
Slide is not wood, wtf is wrong with you, bird?
>>
>>4762638
when woodpeckers do that they are arent looking for bugs, they are 'drumming' to communicate to other woodpeckers. so for their purpose metal is probably better.
>>
>>4760949
>>4760951
>>4760952
>>4760953
He's been doing this daily btw. Or she. My guess is it's the male bringing some easy food back to a nest either for nesting female or fledglings.
Also ate all the guts out of a squirrel I killed while a turkey circled around it looking at it sideways with its neck extended. That was pretty funny. Turkeys do not like crows and ravens.
>>
>buy feeder and food
>rain/snow in the forecast almost every day in the forseeable future
Should I just say fuck it and put it up?
>>
>>4763869
birds usually dont give a shit about rain or snow, but try not to get the seed wet
>>
>>4763894
Yeah, it's a hopper feeder which is not exactly weatherproof. I'll put a little bit of seed out and see what happens with it.
>>
>>4747891
What are some decent kinds of bird feeders for an area that gets a lot of rain but without a ton of squirrel activity? I'd like to attract regular passerines and hummingbirds if I can. There's a crow nest in the neighborhood and I want to see some of them close up (it's not exactly socially acceptable to break out my binoculars and point them at the neighbor's house)
>>
>>4763947
>>4763869
>>4760949
why is everyone so hung up on bird feeders
you will see much better birds if you birdwatch while hiking than waiting for something to come to your yard. A lot of birds don't go to suburbs or don't eat out of feeders.
Chances are you will get 99% red wing blackbird and house finches.
>>
>>4763954
>implying I can't do both
>>
>>4763869
I would think they would come more when it's rain/snow because of the easier access to food. Beats hunting it in stormy conditions.

>>4763954
I get a lot of cool things at my suet feeder. Downy, flickers, Townsend's warblers, bushtits, lots of juncos and sparrows. I might be forced to take it down because my new management threatened a $50 fine to anyone hanging literally anything off their decks though, but I intend to fight for my right to feed birds.
>>
File: 1000002549.jpg (867 KB, 2048x1152)
867 KB
867 KB JPG
just found this bad boy yesterday
>>
>>4764120
Nice find. American Bittern is probably the hardest heron species to find in the US.
>>
>>4764120
RARE

I've only see one once, just a head poking up through some grass. But yeah, love to see more of these guys but they're so damn elusive.
>>
>>4764426
I have very good luck with Bitterns. Rails on the other hand...
>>
Posted >>4764814 in the bird general. The starling flew off but I can still here it somewhere. Since this thread is dedicated to birdsong, I thought I'd post from that thread to this one. Howdy, birders.
>>
>>4764816
I heard a steller's jay imitating a crying baby once. It was pretty close, too. Close enough I almost thought it was a real baby at first.
>>
>>4763954
I live in the woods anyway. I can see plenty of cool birds that don't use feeders. Vireos, woodcock, robins, various warblers and thrushes, etc. more so in summer. Just no water birds (except technically woodcock) since I'm not close enough to water.

Never really felt compelled to go birdwatching elsewhere. I like *my* birds. I'm fascinated by the nature that surrounds me, not that which I'd have to travel to see.
>>
I've never seen a bird :(
>>
>>4765317
that seems unlikely
>>
>>4765452
>>4765317
I get it. Before I got into birdwatching I thought there were only like 50 or so species of birds. You got "eagle", "hawk", "flamingo", "sparrow", "hummingbird", etc on down the line. I had no idea there were like 100 versions of everything. Where I grew up no one gave a shit about birdwatching because it was 115 degrees in summer and no one left the safety of their indoor A/C.
>>
File: Yellowlegs.jpg (371 KB, 1239x872)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
My goal this summer is to find a lesser yellowlegs. Unless this is one, but I'm not fully convinced. I still want to find a more definitive one.
>>
>>4765966
When was that taken? IMO that is a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs. There is no upturn to the bill and the bill is about 1 head length. Greater will have more like 1.5 head length bill and a slit upturn to it.

My goal for this year is to see Spotted Owl. I am going to really push for it before it is extinct in my state.
>>
>>4766041
It was a few years ago, I think July or August? I've seen many greaters, I just don't know that this isn't a young greater. I've been on the fence with this guy for a while but really want to hear a call to confirm it. Him and sharp-shinned hawk are about all I have left to find in my local area.

Spotted owl would be a great find. I've never seen one. Good luck.
>>
saw this bad boy today
hooded warbler
>>
Anyone else have a really hard time identifying ducks? Supposedly there are a ton of different species that congregate in the waters and wetlands near me, yet I swear I've only ever seen mallards.
>>
>>4766563
Only confusion I have is between female mallards and gadwalls. Sometimes scaups. All the others are pretty distinct.
>>
>>4766563
Pretty much what the other anon said. There is a lot of variety in ducks, head shape, bill length and shape, body proportions. If all you see are mallards maybe try a different spot. Flooded fields will get different dabbling ducks.
>>
>>4749531
That's pretty cool, dangerous for them but cool nonetheless.
>>
>>
>>4765557
Before I got into birds I honestly don't remember noticing a single bird in my life. I guess maybe seagulls and pigeons, that's about it. I paid so little attention, my mom says we had lots of blue jays at the house and she used to put out hummingbird feeders. I remember none of it.
Sucks because I grew up in an area with some cool northern birds I'd love to see now like Canada jays and redpolls.
>>
File: RedBreastedNuthatch01.jpg (219 KB, 1024x768)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>4767005
RB Nuthatches are my favorite bird ever
>>
>>4767005
>>4767342
honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honk
>>
Chased a rarity for the first time in a long while. Pine Grosbeak in Seattle. Only my second lifer this year. The grind is real now.
>>
rip bachmans warbler
gone but not forgotten
>>
>>4767342
I used to have those guys up until about a year ago, never saw one since. I think maybe cause my neighbor cut down all his dead trees and they were using them for nesting
>>
File: dec.jpg (54 KB, 650x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>4747963
I have a hummingbird feeder where I put water + sugar and they used to come to drink pretty much all day every day but recently it got fucking hijacked by bees. Those fuckers completely obliterate the water in like 5 minutes and there's a lot of them. Is there a way to scare off the bees?
>>
File: 32803711-720px.jpg (62 KB, 720x540)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
It is the height of spring migration why aren't you guys birding
Literally just go look at any tree with binoculars and you will see some insane colorful bird
I just saw a nighthawk, an indigo bunting, and a rose breasted grosbeak.
>>
>>4770157
>It is the height of spring migration why aren't you guys birding
I didn't even know it had started. Nothing's going on near me. Just the usual sparrows and hummingbirds.
>>
>take out binoculars
>seeing double
>wtf
>no name brand binoculars, so cant send it to manufacturer to readjust
Has anyone had to readjust theirs themselves?
>>
>>4769710
Vacuum them up.
I had to do that for weeks before they finally stopped coming. So many god damned bees. Feral honey bees btw, not native bees.
>>
I went to go check on an owl nest I have been watching for a couple months. I was setting up and the wind blew my scope over on an asphalt driveway. 3500usd scope no longer focuses. I am already lubing up for the repair bill on this. I am so angry with myself for being so careless.
>>
>>4770771
What brand and how much did you pay? If they're new can't the store refund or fix them?

>>4770885
I can feel your pain. I'm sorry.
>>
>>4770885
dont make the same mistake and just buy a supertelephoto DSLR instead.
>>
>>4771214
Do telephoto DSLRs survive 6 foot drops onto pavement?
>>
>>4771214
Different guy but I got a Nikon P1000 five years ago and it's great. Nice balance of affordable and great distance. I've seen more and more people getting them and everyone I've met seems to enjoy it also.
>>
File: fullsizeoutput_423c.jpg (536 KB, 1193x1010)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
I guess this is the best place to ask this
So near my place of work there's a nest that belongs to a loggerhead shrike, and a few days ago when I went in to work two of the chicks were on the ground under the tree
One was already dead but the other one seemed healthy, so I used a pair of gloves to carefully put it back in it's nest, but when I got off work it was on the ground again. I ended up taking it to a wildlife shelter where they said they'd take care of it, but it still bugs me because I don't know if they actually fell out (it was a fairly windy day) or were ejected by the mother due to being sick or because of lack of food, considering she did have three or four healthy chicks still in the nest
Pic isn't them but they were approximately the same age
>>
>>4772581
They're called fledglings, they're supposed to be out of the nest. It's a damn shame because a shelter cannot teach a bird how to survive in the wild so it doesn't stand much of a chance now. The shelter employees should have told you to take it back where it came from. In the future let nature do its thing.
>>
>>4772617
NTA but a fledgling wouldn't drop to its death, at least I wouldn't think so, especially if as he says the others were still in the nest. Sounds like either the mother abandoned it and it was doomed or the wildlife shelter will doom it. In either case I doubt anon could've done much more.
>>
>>4747891
Came back in the rain a few days ago, bird took flight from the driveway up to the fence, thought it was a mourning dove as first, but it's a female red cardinal. pic not mine:
>>
>went to swamp today
>didn't see a single heron
Strange.
>>
I saw a dead Gold Finch in my yard the other day. A few hours later, I watched a squirrel chew on it for a few minutes, then pick it up and carry it off.
>>
>>4773374
Seeing squirrels eat meat can be very unsettling. Still think they're cute but it changes you.
>>
>>4773374
>>4773440
… Squirrels eat meat?? That’s kinda… well, you know…
>>
>>4773478
Horses eat meat too. Usually on accident, but sometimes they're just mowing through the grass and a mouse gets caught up in it so they just roll with it.
>>
File: 1000007141.jpg (563 KB, 1920x2560)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
I am making hummingbird nectar

It's a bit early but I think orioles might come a couple weeks before so they can have some
>>
File: 1800.jpg (298 KB, 1576x1182)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
saw a piratic flycatcher in florida recently
>>
File: ivory.jpg (157 KB, 1200x954)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Do you wish to see him one day?
>>
File: humming.jpg (2.45 MB, 3273x2606)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
I found a hummingbird nest today with two babies in it. They're pretty big already.
>>
>>4767059
I can't understand people who don't notice birds. One of my neighbours is reportedly jealous that I see owls and purple finches a lot, particularly in the winter, two extremely common fucking birds. She's lived here her entire life and never seen either somehow. I'm just like... FUCKING HOW?!
Same with eagles. All over the place here and she's never seen any. I saw two the other day by the CVS lmao
>>
>>4749598
all I get is juncos and they do the same thing. and they'll stand inside the birdseed and shit all over it.
>>
>>4766563
Same. I’ve only ever seen mallards and I have seen a pair of wood ducks one time while biking through the woods along a derelict canal. I’ve never seen any other species of duck. I specifically believe mergansers don’t exist. I live in an area where they are located but have never seen them. I’d love to see a merganser one day.
>>
>>4771109
bough second hand, and apparently some cheapo amazon "brand" so I don't there's any type of warranty. Work pretty good though
>>
>>4774085
People these days can't be assed to lift their heads from their cellphones for even two seconds. I see it all the time at the park, some guy is walking his dog, head buried in the phone, basically letting the dog guide him, and he's oblivious to the baby owls a short distance away. They just don't seem to even know birds, or hell even nature in general, exists.
>>
File: ibwo.jpg (40 KB, 600x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>4773967
very nice find, never seen a hummer nest
>>4773661
that would be a dream come true, even if i never had another lifer - that is the grail of grails
>>
>>4774186
people will walk right past me while i am looking at an owl's nest or something else interesting. when i went down highway 1 looking for condors i was standing in a pull out with a couple other people both of us had scopes out watching a mating pair of california condors and people would just drive by without even thinking to see what we were so interested in. old people usually ask what i am up to but anyone under 60 pretty much doesn't give a shit
>>
>>4774132
>I’ve never seen any other species of duck.
I do not believe you. Where do you live? Mallards are probably the most common but every pond I go to almost always has a mix of at least two or three different types if not many more.
>>
>>4774085
Eagles were basically extinct until like 10 years ago so a lot of old people don't know they are common again.
As for colorful songbirds, most people assume they're all just house sparrows and pigeons so they don't even bother looking closer. You have to be quite close to really see their colors.

I do see people walk right past rare or cool animals at the park all the time though. I saw like 10 people walk right past a family of otters yesterday and I saw a bunch of people walk right past a beautiful baltimore oriole the day prior. But I guess if you aren't actively looking for animals you probably won't see them.
>>
>>4774193
if you live in a place with hummingbirds their nests are pretty common they are just very very tiny, not much larger than the hummer themselves. Look really closely at the branches of trees during spring when hummingbirds are around and you'll probably see one.
>>
>>4774194
>people will walk right past me while i am looking at an owl's nest or something else interesting
Literally me 10 years ago. I was at a state park and like 4 people were standing around a scope and I could hear them talking about owls. I don't know why, I just didn't care then. i kept walking. Guess it was a "not my business, don't want to bother them" kind of thing. I mean now that I do like birds if I have a scope up I get annoyed if people show up uninvited and start bothering me when I'm trying to do my own thing.
>>
>>4774205
Northern Indiana. The only waterfowl I see are mallards, Canadian geese, and the occasional white swan. I spotted a wood duck once. Other than that I’ve never seen other species of ducks, shovelers, or mergansers.
>>
>>4774132
>>4774754

>>4766563 here. I went to a nearby conservation park the other day. I had just gotten a new pair of binoculars and wanted to try them out in the field. Floating in a bog were a lot of mallards, but I also spotted a few pairs of blue-winged teals among them. I think when it comes down to finding new species, it's mostly a matter of going to the right places and applying yourself.
>>
>>4774754
Check eBird and see what people are seeing then go to that place and see the same ones.
>>
I fucking love wood thrushes
>>
>>4774366
>otters
FUCKING MADDENING! The same neighbour has also somehow never seen a seal. They're all over the bay! And they're big! Again, how could anyone not?
As for the eagles, I guess I can see your point. I bought my house ten years ago and have seen eagles a couple times per year since.
>>
>>4774923
>ebird's new layout

I hate it. It now takes 4 clicks to get to the same list information I previously accessed with 1 click (hotspot -> bird list -> last observed -> all years). Why make it take so long? And there is STILL no button directly on the hotspot list page to click to add my own list. I have to exit out to the map view and then submit it from there. This site is becoming too much of a hassle to use, I'm sorry to say.
>>
>>4775359
Its cumbersome design put me off of using it until I took the time to figure it out recently. On the topic of bird apps, my biggest grievance about Merlin is that I can't just directly add a bird to my life list. I often know what I'm looking at. I shouldn't have to jump through the hoops of waiting for it to make a sound or guessing what the app has in its database for size/color combinations for the bird in question.
>>
>>4747891
Are you using a bird app?

Looking for reliable bird id app
>>
Saw my first set of Blue Winged Teals a week ago, beautiful little fellas
>>
>>4774754
I get you anon. I went to a park today and literally all they had was mallards and geese. I really looked too, but that's all that was out. Oregon btw.
>>
>>4775491
I get tons in my county, but green-wings are rare. Still have never got a good look at one.
>>4775476
>>4775359
I dislike using eBird for tracking my sightings so much I wrote my own program for logging my bird sightings. It takes so long to record a sighting on eBird it makes me not even want to bother.
>>
>>4775491
very cute
>>
File: 67474351-480px[1].jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Saw two of these little guys last week chasing each other around my tree, the one flashed his crown feathers a few times, glad he did too otherwise I wouldn't have spotted him.

Gotta love early migration season, the brief window of migratory overlap and subsequent overloading of the feeders, the birds that would never see each other otherwise learning they really hate each other, and the transients you see once on their way through and wish in vain that they would replace some of the fucking house sparrows.
>>
>>4775549
I hate the eBird site and app. I wish there was a simple app that used the eBird API and only fed me bird sightings for things I need.

Today I went innawoods to look for a Northern Pygmy-Owl. No sighting but I did hear one so now I know where to focus my attention. Going to try again tomorrow or Friday hopefully I don't fall down a ravine and die.
>>
Put a feeder up by the window for the first time this year. Nothing for a week or so, but it was busy this morning. Got Evening Grosbeaks, House Finch/Purple finch (not sure, I'll check again tomorrow), chickadees, and Juncos. A blue jay stopped and looked at the feeder, but took off fairly quickly. Fun times.
>>
>>4775549
>>4775785
All you have to do on the ebird app is
>search for the name
>tap the square next to it for each example observed
How is that hard or time consuming?
>>
Anyone else here live in one of this year's big cicada brooding areas? Will it affect bird populations?
>>
>>4776141
no, it asks
>where were you?
>was it it a known location? otherwise you have to create the location
>what time was it? how long were you there?
>how long were you traveling?
>how far were you traveling?
>is that a somewhat rare bird? we need proof or youre a liar
>who were you with?
>what color is your car?
>what is your social security?
>are you a bitch?
>do you love this shit?
>PS we are hiding your sighting because those are protected :)
>>
>>4775797
They were house finches. Only one grosbeak and a couple of sparrows today, the juncos have taken over.
>>
>>4776147
Oh you're doing all that shit after the fact, I see. Yeah no wonder you're having a hard time. The app's intended use at least in my interpretation is to record observations while birding, not after the fact.
>>
>>4776147
>is that a somewhat rare bird? we need proof or youre a liar
I'm still mad at ebird for not officially recognizing a sighting I had in 2018 even though I included a picture. No response at all, just completely ignored while all the other people's sightings, even without pics, got approved.
>>
>>4776285
Some reviewers are better than others. the reviewer for a couple counties over from me was not confirming Common Crane sightings despite identical examples from the Macauley Library and a bird guide from Mongolia giving his opinion that it was not a Common x Sandhill hybrid. I have also seen a Cooper's Hawk confirmed as a Red-Shouldered Hawk and it had a clear photo attached. Another reason I don't even bother with eBird. I just use Rare Bird Whatsapp groups for alerts.
>>
File: WBB410.jpg (1.12 MB, 1600x1200)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
I saw this dapper guy recently
>>
>>4776160
i dont use apps for anything
ebird started as a website
>>
>>4776790
Unfortunately, just like Youtube, the desktop PC user base is now the minority so all these companies are redesigning their sites to work/look best on smartphones.
>>
birds are very important
>>
so yesterday, i was playing on my synth, and suddenly i hear this irrhythmic squeaky sound that wasn't coming from my synth. i realized a wild bird was chirping along intentionally to my music, and would stop when i stopped. i had to open my window because i couldn't believe what was happening, as i live in a shit ass city, where nature is to be seen, not experienced. i had to make sure it was actually the bird and not the synth, and it was because i could hear the chirping even closer. it would respond to my playing intelligently, me putting out a call, the bird putting out a response, a typical musical format. i recorded a little, but again, i live in a shitbagass city, so there's lots of background noise, but you can hear in this example the bird chirping in key inbetween the notes. the chirps were so direct, and not warbly or anything crazy.

this has never happened to me, and today, i set out some nuts (generic safeway songbird mix), a diy nectar drip, and a diy siphon based water feature on my balcony. i played on my synth, but besides some random mating calls, it doesn't seem like the bird came back around. i come here to ask what type of bird could've done this, i live in the pnw for context. i usually only see robins with orange bellies, crows, seagulls, and the occasional humming bird. i want to sing with my bird friend again, i never actually saw him, nor do i know where he went...

https://voca.ro/14taPOUd2BMb
na nuh- chirp chirp!
na nun- chirp chirp!
na nuh na nuh na nuh
>>
>>4777144
Dark-eyed Junco, Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow - those are the most common birds around you by a wide margin so check their song/calls first.
>>
>>4775785
Spent 6 hours looking today, didn't die (obvs.) and I heard a Pygmy-Owl not far from the Weds. location, still out of reach/sight unfortunately and actually is in a worse spot now because it moved away from the clearcut that I walked down today to try to get a close look. The struggle continues.
>>
>>4777192
thank you for your help, you guys are the experts on birds. i will try looking into these birds and see if any fit the bill...
>>
Been seeing a ton of yellow-rumped warblers this week. Not a bad thing.
>>
I heard the drum of a pileated woodpecker for like a month now. Just this week hairy and downy have started dumming too. It sounds much weaker like someone is using a tool that makes rapid click sounds. But I'm pretty sure it's woodpeckers since it's been going since 6am.

Just something I never would have noticed before, or really would think is just some neighbor using a tool.
>>
>>4747947
Tim and Clarence
>>
File: birb6.jpg (2.35 MB, 4316x2580)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
Lotta people keep seeing 2 Great Horned Owls around the park I frequent, been 2 months and I haven't seen jack shit. Missing out is killing me
>>
>>4777144
>>4777192
the bird returned, albeit at 1am in the morning, the damn crackhead. we had another cute jam session, but it's making me believe the bird is a robin or something because they seem to be the only ones that would chirp this late, and i do remember feeding an american robin couple on my balcony last year. i tried to test him by playing in different keys, different registers, different instruments. he doesn't respond at all to guitar, nor harmonica, but can hold his own during key changes on my synth. it seems like he best understands the highest registers on my synth best, and can either duet with me, or play lead as i play accompaniment, though i am not sure he understands harmony outside of being just another clump of notes that is ultimately understood as one whole note in a more complex melodic line. my partner just so happened to be on call, and heard the whole thing, which reinforces this experience way more, now that i have a witness who corroborates that this actually happening and not just a figment of my imagination. i find it so strange, my partner brought up the possibility that this could be the bird's attempt at securing a mate, but if that was the case, then wouldn't he bother flying up to my window to check on the source of the sound? it feels so strangely intentional, and yet i have no clue why this is happening yet. he is likely not sombody else's pet either, as the chirping is not consistently heard throughout the day, and i played my synth all day hoping for him to come around, but again, he only came back at 1am. the first time, it was 3pm when we played together. i don't think it could be someone playing a recording either, as i live on the top floor and hear the chirping right above me, but roof access is restricted, and ontop of that, the singing flows so naturally and responds so quickly and intelligently that you'd struggle to keep up with a recorder. he hasn't touched the birdseed or bath i left out yet
>>
>>4777465
wood peckers seem to be very common in my area. just yesterday while i was biking, i heard one pecking away. i used to live in a house where a woodpecker would fly up in the rafters and start pecking, maybe hoping to make a nest. my mom would get irrationally angry and come up banging on the walls with the pole part of a mop inorder to try and scare it away, but to be fair, when i looked up, there was more than one hole. they're such a fun and unique bird...
>>
A blackbird who likes eat from my feeder just struck my window. He is stunned and his leg may be broken, but he is able to move. I swept him into my broom tray and brought him over to a tree with shade. Is there anything else I should do?
>>
>>4778509
french fries
>>
how do i hide boner when birdwatching
>>
>>4778509
The bird will need a rehabber to have any chance, if the leg is indeed broken it will starve to death in the wild as blackbirds cannot eat without perching.
>>
>>4778638
cock cage
>>
>>4778509
Take him to an Audubon rehab place, or if you have a bird specialist vet in the area.
>>
>birds finally ate from the little dish of fresh birdseed i left out at night
>ate everything before afternoon, when i rose from bed
holy moly, did little birdies really do this?

>>4778695
kek'd
>>
>>4778776
You probably just got involved with a squirrel infestation, or rats.
>>
>>4778776
I can go through about half a gallon of birdseed a day or more, but don't rule out squirrels.
>>
>>4778790
>>4778793
i would be surprised, living on the top floor of a 6 story apartment, but i suppose it's always a possibility. i'd love to see with my own eyes what comes and goes, then act accordingly, but i suppose i should stock up on birdseed when convenient, i didn't expect this because last year, they barely touched the sunflower seed i left out, though i can't remember if it was roasted. i am still learning a lot. i hope they aren't fighting over it...
>>
>>4778798
I live on the second floor and get harassed by squirrels all the time. They can definitely climb 6 floors, especially if you have trees near you. They can jump like 15 feet or something. Or if it's strictly at night, maybe you have a flying squirrel eating the seeds. They're pretty chill, I would let them hang out, but the ordinary fox squirrel gets to be a demanding asshole. The last place I lived that had them once I stopped feeding it they started climbing by screen door and pissing through it to inside my living room.
>>
>>4778682
>>4778717
I saw him fly up into the tree on his own after a few more minutes passed. Must have come to his senses, so I guess he's alright. Haven't seen him since however.
>>
>>4778682
They can do ok with one functioning leg but yes rehabber will be best
>>
>>4778816
Nevermind, I just read that even when a bird flies away after a strike it's probably still not okay. Bummer.
>>
>>4778808
god damn, that's surprising. it sounds like squirrels are basically little nut niglets, but they are quite cute, so i wouldn't be that bothered unless if they start scaring off the birds. i'd rather let them have their own plate of peanuts or something, than have them take from the birdies, but i'd like to confirm with my own ears and eyes before anything. it could even be a crow, but i'm probably overthinking it. i don't know much at all about this stuff, so thanks for sharing your expertise with me, anon. i'll just hope i can catch a glimpse some time.

>>4778827
i think you did the best you could, anon. it could be worse, glass does kill sometimes, and he is thankfully still alive, but i'm still sorry that happened, anon.
>>
>>4778854
>i'd rather let them have their own plate of peanuts or something, than have them take from the birdies
Squirrels have no concept of sharing. If there's food there they will take all of it. And they're not very smart about it. They'll take all the food, bury a lot of it for the winter, then when winter actually comes they forget somewhere around 1/3 (or maybe it's 2/3, I forget) of the sites they hid stuff at so it just rots underground and goes to waste.
>>
>>4778892
my god, they're just as wasteful as us!
>>
File: ScreenshotTile.png (588 KB, 1080x1427)
588 KB
588 KB PNG
They are drawing near
>>
>>4778892
Hey, some of it also grows. They are doing some seed dispersal. Blue jays are known for that too, burying nuts and then forgetting some of them.
>>
To anyone with a house sparrow problem at their feeder(s), I strongly recommend putting up a "halo" if you haven't done so already. That shit actually works.
>>
>>4778776
at night it was probably rats
>>
>>4769710
Don't bee a bee hater.
Wasps I can understand, but just put out some more delicious sugar water as long as we're just bees.
>>
>>4779226
>as long as we're just bees.
Are you threatening to mutate into a hornet?
>>
I'm not much of a bird fan, but I've recently developed an interest in attracting blue jays to my property. What sort of feeders or other structures would be best for attracting them?
>>
File: blur.jpg (1.38 MB, 1600x1200)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
He may have moved but I'm still happy with this shot.
>>
>>4779368
very nice, anon ;)
>>
File: ScreenshotTile.png (747 KB, 660x671)
747 KB
747 KB PNG
turkey in the feeder
>>
>>4779317
Anything large/open enough for them to perch on. They will eat most of the larger seed types, as well as whole in-shell peanuts. Keep in mind that you're going to attract a lot of other types of bird no matter what you end up putting out.
>>
>>4778892
>>4779221
i found out that at least for sure, a pigeon couple is feeding from my birdsneeds, which explains how they ate so much. they seem kinda comfortable around humans, but i didn't want to push my luck, so i just calmly and gently told them who i was from afar, in hopes that they would learn my voice and know i'm no threat. i'm certain they know it's me who is tending to the birdsneeder because it was left untouched this night, and only when i came out to do daily maintenance, did they come back, once i left, to eat. little fuckers shat on my balcony, but i will forgive it because it's a pleasure to know anything is benefitting from this little sanctuary i've crafted, along with the help of nature, and pigeons have been growing alongside humans since forever, so it's neat to restore a bit of my human heritage. i'm not sure if this is the only thing feeding from my feeder yet, but we will see. time to binge nyc pigeon videos, they seem to be the pigeon mecca.

>>4779317
i am no expert, but make sure that when you get birdseed, to not really get anything humans would eat, besides raw stuff. nuts roasted in processed oil and salt are real bad for them, and you can not just wash off the salt because the nut will soak it up inside. i think i hear fruits can also be a bit dangerous due to the pesticides used, but i do not know much, i am learning as much as you are.
>>
File: IMG_20240420_095502343.jpg (3.51 MB, 4000x3000)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
anyone been to high island around coastal texas this year? I went this weekend and saw egrets, spoonbills (you can see one flying in this picture), and cormorants at the Smith oaks rookery
if only I didn't have only an android camera to take pictures
>>
Yellow Warblers are coming around now, first time actually observing one.
>>
>>4779863
>>4779868
Okay thanks
>. Keep in mind that you're going to attract a lot of other types of bird no matter what you end up putting out.
This is fine; my overall goal here is to indirectly lower how many wasps gather around my house by attracting birds to the area.
>>
>>4779317
They go insane for unshelled unsalted peanuts
>>
>>4780124
How does bird know what peanut is?
>>
>>4780128
memory
>>
File: 68037161-1280px.jpg (111 KB, 1280x960)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
I enjoy brown creepers.
>>
>>4780155
we have black and white warblers instead of brown creepers where I live
they fill the same ecological niche where they cling to tree trunks and eat spiders and stuff
>>
File: 67459811-480px.jpg (20 KB, 480x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>4747891
saw a hermit thrush a few days ago. i'm new to birding and no one i know irl is even the slightest interested in birds.
>>
>>4780157
They're cute, but they don't have as funny as a name as brown creepers.
>>
>>4779317
I use this exact one from Etsy (I think the seller is called mountain woodworking) it's big and expensive but it is my best feeder for jays, even a raven uses it. Blue jays come in a group every morning and occasionally throughout the day, several of them can use it at once. I fill it with a layer of sunflower then scatter peanuts on top both, in-shell and out. Quite often they stand right on the edge of it and hold a peanut in their feet to crack open, that's fun to watch.

I've had it right outside my kitchen window for a few years now and it is quite weathered but holding up well.
>>
>>4780128
I don't even live in a peanut growing region but birds just know. They naturally eat tree nuts and know good stuff is inside them so I guess a peanut is similar.
>>
>>4780155
average brown creeper W
>>
File: 17032024-IMG_5274.jpg (971 KB, 4400x2933)
971 KB
971 KB JPG
I visited Sint Maarten recently and was able to see my first pelicans. Still impressive to see in real life
>>
>>4779317
>wants to attract jays
fucking why, they're giant noisy cocksucking party crashers who scatter every other feeder bird to the four winds every time they drop in to feed. I want jayproof feeders but they dont seem to exist because even feeders with too-small perches or apertures will just get dive bombed by them so they can pick the seed up off the ground.
>>
>>4779903
never been but a bird youtuber had a couple vids from there recently and it's on my list of places to go. only real downside was all the bugs.
>>4780128
they just know, peanuts are like crack for corvids
>>4780311
i like steller's jays but I don't feed them during breeding season because they will eat eggs out of nests. during the winter they are fun to have around
>>
>>4780311
>fucking why
Simply because I know for a fact that they eat wasps.
>>
>>4780313
>i like steller's jays but I don't feed them during breeding season because they will eat eggs out of nests.
I didn't know that. At a place near me there was a robin's nest within reach of a viewing platform. I didn't see it when it had eggs in it, but apparently there were two. By the time I got there it was empty. I just assumed some asshole came along and stole the eggs because they're unique and blue. Like the test was 3 feet from the railing, anyone could've reached inside. But maybe it was a jay.
>>
>>4780311
> scatter every other feeder bird to the four winds every time they drop in to feed.
Since I have a separate feeder for them, this hasn't been a problem. They pretty much just want peanuts and there's only one feeder big enough for them that has any. The other one I put peanuts in has an adjustable dome that's set pretty low so mostly chickadees and nuthatches use it. But they also use the big one when no jays are around.

I think jays are good to have around since they alert to predators and mob them, helps save some other birds from hawks and feral cats. They recognize that sound and go hide.
>>
>>4780313
> i like steller's jays but I don't feed them during breeding season because they will eat eggs out of nests. during the winter they are fun to have around

Well maybe they'll eat fewer eggs if they're not as hungry. But I read about this, while jays do eat other birds eggs, so do other birds eat their eggs. Ravens I've seen do it, crows probably do too. But the biggest bird egg eater by far is raccoons, they are responsible for about 60% of all bird eggs eaten in the nest. Other birds is something like 10% and the rest is snakes, squirrels, etc.
>>
It's been exactly 2 years to the day since I've seen a new species.
>>
>>4780313
>only real downside was all the bugs.
yeah the mosquitos were awful. I'm still recovering from all the bites. I ran out of bug spray midway through and had to buy an overpriced can from one of the few stores in town haha
>>
>>4780450
>>4780454
I should have been more clear. I don't feed Jays during breeding season because otherwise they don't really hang around my yard. So it's just a matter of not encouraging them to hang around and raid the nests in my yard.
On a related note, Steller's Jays are putting massive pressure on the already endangered Marbled Murrelets because they eat their eggs. There is a program right now to feed tainted Murrelet eggs to Jays and then release them in the hopes that they won't touch the MAMU eggs out in the wild because they think they are nasty. Pretty interesting but it's a very small dent in a big problem.
>>4780810
I am lucky to live in a place that gets very few mosquitos and when I go on a trip somewhere else I usually struggle to cope with the change.
>>
>finally learning how to whistle cause i wanna be just like my bird friends
>even with fucked up teeth, i can still sometimes produce a tone
thank god, i thought my whole life i was gonna never know the joy of whistling
>>
Is there a site where I can upload an mp3 of a bird sound I recorded and it will try to ID it?
>>
>>4781109
iNaturalist is crowd-sourced IDing but slow and you have to sign up. You can also use the Merlin app's Sound ID feature on your phone while playing it on computer (quickest way). Or vocaroo and post it here with the location, if it's Western US I'd take a crack at it.
>>
>>4780810
Mosquitoes ruin everything
>>4780893
> I am lucky to live in a place that gets very few mosquitos
Yes, you really are, there’s very few outdoor activities the fuckers don’t ruin
>>
>>4781230
Okay I think this should work.

https://voca.ro/1nsmuOrBzQX5

It's the first one, the trill with the 5 chirps. Then there's a red-breasted nuthatch, and then the mystery call again after that, same trill and 5 chirps. Got this near Portland, OR.
>>
Was there ever a time where you think you've observed something thought extinct? Even if it's either for a split second or just wonky IDing?
>>
>>4781363
No. Are you going to say you saw an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker?
>>4781352
Merlin says Bewick's Wren, then the Nuthatch with a faint Dark-Eyed Junco in the background, then the Bewick's Wren again.
>>
Where are the gosh damn hummingbirds
>>
>>4781109
Merlin can identify the sounds and Xenocanto is good for finding examples.
>>
>>4781373
>Merlin says Bewick's Wren
Thanks. I was hoping it was a red crossbill. I had just listened to some sound samples of it before going out then caught this and thought it was the same. Wren makes sense though, since it has the trill.

>>4781487
I'll check out Xenocanto
>>
It's been 8 years and I still can't find a sharp-shinned hawk. Got hundreds of Cooper's though.
>>
whats the bump limit on /an/
>>
>>4782504

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.