[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth’s mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born—to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, the Avengers Assemble!
>>
Previous

>>143225575
>>143239460
>>143255893
>>143270345
>>143311452
>>143323169
>>143352939
>>
How's everyone doing
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>143367712
>>143367725
People always talk about how Kirby tried to draw scenes where Sue, Jean or Medusa was doing cool stuff and Stan's dialogue changed the whole scene so they were overshadowed by the men in the books, but this is the second Avengers issue in a row where Wanda beats a bad guy and looks impressive.

Did Stan just like Wanda more or was he just messing with Kirby?
>>
>>
>>
Wally Wood!?!
>>
>>143367611
I got a month of Marvel Unlimited last night after you finished, because I was too impatient for the next issue.
>>
>>143367987

That is a good observation/question.
>>
>>143368032

awesome
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>143367976
>>143367988
Swordsman you suck at piracy. You're supposed to make people walk the plank off a ship, not a building.

No wonder this guy was exiled from twelve different countries.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>143367673
I’m doing well, you’re finally past the essential book I had when I was a kid. How’re you?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Been posting from the Epic collections so here's the back matter
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
brb with another couple of issues
>>
Power Man!
>>
>>
>>
>>143368456
Giant man, cap and Hawkeye all redrawn, interesting
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>143368538
This guy will have the strangest career
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I was genuinely upset when reading this as a kid lol
>>
>>
>>143368609
Clint really needs a beating.
>>
>>143368779

He doesn't mellow out for awhile, he rules
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
The Circus of Crime rocks
>>
>>143369040

cracking up at "We don't' know where Giant Man is"
>>
>>143369040
Yeah, I love those idiots.
>>
>>
>>143368572
>What are you doing? I'm from the 1940s and don't know how any of these machines work
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>143369097
>younger
Counting only time spent unfrozen Cap is like 25-26 tops.
>>
>>
>>143369115

I can buy Wanda and Pietro as like 20ish. They aren't much older than the X-Men. Hawkeye might be older? No idea. Cap might actually be the oldest
>>
That's all for today, should be back sometime Monday. Hope everyone enjoyed. Have a good one
>>
>>143369155
Thanks OP.
>>
>>143369155
Thanks storytime bro, you’re officially past what I know and I will be with you as long as you feel doing this
>>
>>143368814
>just rips Hawkeye's quiver away
Why don't more bad guys think of that?
>>
>>143368840
>Spear! Hawkeye has been broken in half!
>Somebody stop the damn comic!
>>
>>143368913
Being the Avengers artist between Jack Kirby and John Buscema, Don Heck tends to be less appreciated, but he sure could draw a pretty Wanda.
>>
>>143369040
Hank really looks disappointed that Stan doesn't know where he is or what he's doing.
>>
>>143369097
>Pay attention when I'm talking to you!
Is Cap having a Foghorn Leghorn moment?
>>
>>143369138
>I can buy Wanda and Pietro as like 20ish. They aren't much older than the X-Men. Hawkeye might be older? No idea. Cap might actually be the oldest
Even considering that Cap is really only around 25-6 back then, Hawkeye has to be younger because he keeps talking about it so much, probably closer to the Wasp's age.

It's not as well defined here, but the twins eventually end up being defined as being of a similar age to the original X-Men when they started out, so they'd still be teens here, despite a lot of the stories not treating them like it.
>>
>>143369684

He was a romance comic guy

>>143369888

This retroactively making everyone younger makes not letting Rick Jones on the team funnier. The twins, Jan, Hawkeye all probably between 18-25.

People talk about Spider-Man as the young hero but it was half of Marvel, these examples plus Sue and Johnny Storm. Everyone else is like Older. Some real 60s generation gap shit sneaking in
>>
>>143369155
Thanks for the storytime, it's been fun.
>>
>>143370192
>This retroactively making everyone younger makes not letting Rick Jones on the team funnier.
To be fair, he's got no powers or abilities, he couldn't actually do anything.

>Some real 60s generation gap shit sneaking in
The first Avengers/X-Men fight is played as a generation gap thing instead of the racial conflict it would be in later decades, even if Jan was the youngest of the original Avengers, she wasn't a teen anymore like the original X-Men.
>>
>>143370257

I remember Kurt Busiek writing some thing about how the original X-Men comics are these like kid investigator/kid power stories that we don't have anywhere anymore so people just don't know how to process but imo they're also like bad versions of that.

Ties into one of my complaints is that everyone forgot the mutation metaphor is also puberty and there should always be the teen drama X-men book.
>>
thanks
>>
Thanks, OP.
>>
Good stuff, thanks, OP.
>>
>>143368736
>avengers spend more time fighting each other than villains
>>
>>143368789
>cap gets trash talked by hawkeye nonstop
>every villain can't help but gush about how great cap is, even when they're beating him up
>>
>>143369155
I can't blame Cap for leaving. With Hawkeye digging into him nonstop and Pietro scheming to be leader, all that's left is Wanda but she'll never leave her brother.
>>
World's Most Boring Comic Book
>>
>>143368031
>Wanda suddenly has a two pieces
Lmao
>>
>>143367611
>THE NEWEST, MOST DARINGLY DIFFERENT SWASHBUCKLER FROM THE HOUSE OF IDEAS!
>is a guy who wields a sword and is called The Swordsman
>>
>>143368913
How did Hawkeye's suit got from black with purple and blue highlights to purple and blue all over the design?
>>
>>143374064
The thing that makes him different is that he's a douche.
>>
>>143374064
His sword can shoot lasers
>>
>>143374064
Imagine Stan Lee in his prime promoting you. You'd be getting jobs and pussy without even trying.
>>
>>143369155
Man how big of a fuck up do you have to be for Cap to tell you to eat it. I know he's never been a push over or anything but still.
>>
File: swordsman.jpg (166 KB, 600x746)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>143374064
>>is a guy who wields a sword and is called The Swordsman

Some times it's better to be effective than creative. Some people get so hung up on being different that they forget to be good.
>>
>>143374397
Getting shit on by his teammates, getting tricked over and over again, forced to disband, and everyone else just leaves so he finds out what's going on all by himself really drained him.
>>
rereading the old Avengers is really interesting. The original line up was around for a lot less time than I was really expecting it too and characters I thought didn't show up till much later show up much sooner.
>>
>>143374403
Yeah, but they aren't calling themselves the House of Effective, are they? They aren't saying he's a SIMPLE, MOST CLEARLY STRAIGHTFORWARD SWASHBUCKLER either.
>>
Thanks, OP.
>>
>>143373985
>exact same artist on both issues of this story
I really want an in-story canon explanation for how and why Wanda changed her costume between issues, and the IRL explanation of what happened.

I guess it's not as bad as the later issues of Heroes Reborn when her costume was literally changing from panel to panel sometimes.
>>
>>143374064
Exactly.
>>
>>143374839
I imagine that back in the 60s people would have been much more familiar with Errol Flynn-type swashbuckler characters and the cover makes it look like Swordsman is that kind of guy, with the twist being he's actually a criminal lowlife, and the extra twist of him being a menace from Hawkeye's past.
>>
thnx
>>
>>143368538
>powerman
A bit soon for Luke Cage, isn't it?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.