[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713479098184507.png (927 KB, 852x856)
927 KB
927 KB PNG
>Wikis
https://dmpdoc.neocities.org/
https://web.archive.org/web/20220330105340/https://rentry.org/dmpdoc
https://rentry.org/dmprockandroll/
https://mu-sic-production.fandom.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

-----

>/g/ makes a 12th album
Theme: everything is single saw/square/sine osc with a simple filter
Title: Let me guess, you need more
Deadline: Midnight between April 30th and May 1st

Please post cover art and theme suggestions

>IMPORTANT! READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING:
Upload the file somewhere and post the link here. If you want to update your track, make a new post.
If possible use a lossless format and upload to a file-sharing service, not to a music site like Vocaroo or SoundCloud.
Include the title of the song in the post. Don't rely on us reading it from the filename or tags.
When you post the submission make sure that the song is clearly a submission for the album, otherwise it might get skipped.
Songs that contain anything against YouTube's policies won't be uploaded on YT (but will still be added to the album).
If your track's volume goes above 0 dB it will be clipped for the release.

>Where can I hear the previous albums?
https://rentry.org/dmpalbums

-----

A board dedicated to all aspects of music making and audio would be great for many reasons. Here's why:
https://pastebin.com/ZHXhfRZw
If you like the idea, let 4chan know at https://4channel.org/feedback (under Board Suggestion)

-----

Previous: >>100045459
>>
Album organizer here.
In about a week I'll start the polls for the 12th album's cover art, and the 13th album's theme.
You have until then to submit what you want to submit.
>>
>make quick shaperbox preset
>vital>ott>shaperbox>ott>eq>limit
>hit record while flicking through wub presets and tweaking warp amounts
>chords if you think you're a super srs "musician"
>generate infinite edm sounds
I knew it was a useful plugin but jfc it's actually just easy mode this is literally 10x faster than what i was doing before
>>
Guys hear me out.
An open source lossless audio format based on WAV that instead of being one constant series of samples, contains any number of tracks that can hold audio files/samples starting and ending at arbitrary points.
Basically a barebones DAW project file that only holds samples.
You would use it like a normal sample that would simply play the sum of its contents, but you'd be able to expand it and show the internal samples it's made out of, exactly like a comped track.
This lets you save space when printing stems that contain long stretches of silence and can be used to handle comping, multitracks, etc. but the biggest advantage IMO would be to have a daw and synth that supports it print each note on a separate track, which is super useful when you want to edit and chop up something you've printed and want to get rid of a tail or something while keeping certain notes intact.
Obviously not all instruments and effects sound the same when applied once on the whole thing vs when applied on each track, but like with everything, use it when it's appropriate and avoid it when not.
Another disadvantage is that these polyphonic prints would take more space than a standard wav print, so they probably wouldn't be used as the default way to print anything just in case, and would more likely only be used when specifically required, and I guess those cases aren't common enough to warrant adding all this.
But I still think being able to open a sample you're chopping (basically like an artifact-free Melodyne) and adjust the individual notes is a good workflow for sample manipulation.
Not to mention how it would be cool to be able to buy songs in this format and extract the stems or even just adjust their levels in your player like that thing Kanye and Teenage Engineering made.

Sorry for rambling
/blog
>>
>>100115125
What modules in Shaperbox?
>>
>>100115170
>the biggest advantage IMO would be to have a daw and synth that supports it print each note on a separate track
You are describing a classic tracker
In the early 90s this was the only feasible way to distribute music over the internet
It was also how music worked on fourth generation game consoles
In principle there's nothing stopping you from using trackers this way today
It's just that nobody bothers to make music that way anymore
>>
>>100115265
A tracker can print notes individually but can't do most of the other things I listed, so it's a completely different workflow than what I'm talking about.
>>
>>100115220
They all seem pretty good to me aside from maybe some of the distortion, but time module is the most exciting imo.
>>
>>100115318
So you're messing with settings in every type of module and it creates good-sounding variations most of the time?
>>
>>100115310
>project file is a container for many samples
>samples can be arranged anywhere on the timeline
>you can open the file and change the arrangement without modifying/destroying sample data
What am I missing exactly? Yes, the workflow is different if you use it how it's intended to be used, with a bunch of pitch changes and other effects, but how exactly am I misunderstanding your description?
>>
>>100101232
I tried that
That's for separating voice from instruments and different kinds of instruments from each other
I need to separate two pure vocals that are an octave apart
>>
>>100115764
Two similar sounds like that tend to be very hard for software to discern and separate. I wouldn't count on anything being able to do it with acceptable levels of artifacts, but desu I'm not really up to date with the newer AI tools so maybe there's a model somewhere that does it (doubt it desu).
Maybe try Melodyne or handpaint the right harmonics by hand in RX.
>>
>>100115732
The way you're describing it would also describe any DAW or audio editor.
I'm talking about being in your regular daw and working with a sample on a timeline, and if you need to, being able to "open" it and access the tracks inside like you're comping tracks, then close it back up and resume working with the sample as if it's a regular stereo WAV.
On the "recording" side, you would have your MIDI instrument print a track for each individual note (so two different C3s would be separate "internal samples" on different tracks), or have one track per MIDI note (so all C3s on one track, all D4s on another, etc), and all the tracks would essentially be groups summed into one neat sample that you can load into a sampler, put on the timeline, chop, reverse, etc. and it would sound like the sum of the inner tracks, which are essentially secret until you decide to open it.

If I were to use trackers I wouldn't be able to do those things. I'd just be using a tracker, which is wildly different than the above, except for the single-note thing (which I can also do in any regular DAW, only with a slow workflow).
Unless I can drag tracker files into a regular timeline and play with it like it's a sample.
>>
>>100115369
I mean I haven't really used pan, width or oscilloscope at all, but those would obviously have sound design uses save for that last one, albeit that's more for near mix-adjacent stuff; it's really more about what shape you're drawing in and how each module interacts.
>>
>>100116035
Oh okay
So what you really want is for $FAVORITE_DAW to adopt this type of workflow, and for some reason you described it as if the file format is the main obstacle to making this happen
>>
I have cakewalk, legacy, would you guys recommend it?
>>
EDM made from someone's vocaroo audio on /b/
original sample
https://vocaroo.com/1ic5t6r8Zm4f
The EDM
https://voca.ro/1aeZCLlI09vA
Chopped version made by another anon in the thread
https://voca.ro/1iUYSkkULGpm
Suggested version made by that same anon in the thread(sped up from 130 to 160, randomized chops, heavy sidechain)
https://voca.ro/1iDYi3ABUFwR
>>
>>100116480
You really have zero reading comprehension, or comprehension in general.
How can you keep being so cocky after what I assume is a lifetime of being the idiot in the conversation (or at the very least after the retardation in this thread)?
Stop wasting my time, I'm not going to continue explaining basic self-evident shit to someone who can't read or apply elementary school level reasoning, and is also rude in the process.
>>
File: 235324564.jpg (576 KB, 1024x1024)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
>>100116658
EDM from /pol/

https://files.catbox.moe/b4kza3.flac
>>
>>100116658
Are these AI?
What was the thread about?
>>
File: Organization_Horror.png (183 KB, 1302x926)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>100118583
Nope. I made the first and third one myself using my bare hands, the second was by another Anon. It was a vocaroo thread where the OP expected others to post their voices in the thread. I decided to sample his since I figured no one was going to be posting in it.
>>>917220111
>>
>>100118970
>archived thread
https://archived.moe/b/thread/917220111/
>>
>had to upgrade my interface so I can use my monitors for my 404
I'm lucky shit is so cheap right now. I do hate that I have an extra interface that I'll never use again. I wish I had music friends to share things with
>>
I accidentally recorded one of the tracks in mono and it has completely ruined my dubstep.
I am sad.
._.
>>
>>100115265
>In the early 90s this was the only feasible way to distribute music over bulletin boards
ftfy
>It's just that nobody bothers to make music that way anymore
plenty of people still use trackers in current year.

>>100116035
>>100116681
> literally describes an akai mpc sampler or tracker
> NOOO! THAT'S NOT IT
fuck off, schizo retard. nobody gives a fucking shit.
>>
>>100114739
Hi, regular song uploader here. I have been sucked into playing Dragon's Dogma 2. I'll start my tune the day before cut off and hand it in just before the cut off. Probably.
>>
>>100119571
>wouldn't it be nice to have a vacuum cleaner attachment that can flex and become narrow to easily clean tough to reach spots?
>use a toothbrush like in the military
>a toothbrush can reach those spots but is different from a flexible vacuum cleaner attachment because x, y, and z
>you're literally describing a toothbrush schizo retard
This is how stupid you are.
TRD.
>>
>>100120135
> noooooo everyone is stupid except me
> HEAR ME OUT, GUYS
> nooo! that's not what i mean!
> nobody knows what schizo actually means
> This is how stupid you are.
LMAO. you just have no idea what you are talking about and anons barely give a fucking shit about your schizobabble. this isn't reddit or /mu/, so we don't have to entertain your mental illness at all - ever - not for a fucking moment. kill yourself or go back.
>>
>>100120258
You're right I realize now that you posted this that I was wrong and that I'm a schizo retard.
Thank you for opening my eyes and showing me the way.
>>
>>100119571
I don't want to argue with the other guy anymore but
>plenty of people still use trackers in current year
Trackers pretty much always supported some kind of effects, and these days the most popular ones (like Renoise, which I use sometimes) even work with plugins
Many plugins are not portable to different DAWs, or have nondeterministic output, e.g. if you use a synth with the oscillator phase set to random
Anything like that would make no sense in the context of the kind of format he was describing
But never mind that there's dubstep to be made
>>
>>100115125
Damn I never tried shaperbox but I'm loving it. I gotta look up actually good plugins and use them, it's real easy to make something cool with it.
>inb4 post it
It's shit. I just used it to turn a pad into a trance gate thing without fucking with automation, real nice.
>>
>>100121024
If you're who I think you might be I'm sorry for being mean to you.
>>
>>100122716
If who you think I might be is who I think you might think I might be, I think who you think I might be is not who I am
Either way I was honestly trying to understand your idea and I'm sorry for pissing in your oatmeal in the process
>>
>>100123013
>oatmeal
It deserved more attention over synth1 t b h
>>
inconsistent syntax and non-linear modulation in vital is literally ruining my life I fucking
>>
File: 351321.jpg (41 KB, 714x652)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>100119551
oh no!
>>
>>100124209
noooo i'm old like you guys I hate new music ! D:
>>
File: klbgcayqrez0v6vloig1.jpg (113 KB, 800x680)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>100114679
absolute chad there
>>
>>100116681
Go code it and let's see how this disruptive design performs in the market.
>>
>album anon counting all the tracks that didn't get submitted due to the bad theme
>>
>>100126999
>that we voted for
>>
Should I start recording my farts? I’m a gassy person and probably rip ass at least 100 times a day. Some are so potent they could start a fire.
>>
>>100127453
https://voca.ro/1cLfFDo4xEyk
>>
File: 1713762705686987.jpg (131 KB, 1280x560)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Maybe one of you fuckers knows since /hpg/ is useless.
does anybody make a relatively inexpensive four band parametric EQ about the same size? Had picrel back around 2000 in my car, so I know it's possible.
>>
>>100128450
>About the same size as a Schiit Magni
>>
File: 1677165485624394.jpg (25 KB, 600x600)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>100119551
just duplicate it, now it's stereo
>>
>>100129229
And invert the sine wave for maximum SQ.
>>
>Florida Studio
>Alabamaton
>Puerto Riper
>Iowig
>Georgia Band
>Logigan
>Cubexico
>Oreson
>Acidzona
>Pro Texas
>Cakewucky
The Digital Audio Workstates of America
>>
bump
>>
>>100130174
>using Oregon twice
ngmi
>>
>>100131866
You mean Oreson and Logigan?
One's Oregon and the other is Michigan.
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (192 KB, 1281x641)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>no information about pricing whatsoever
>when pressing unlock it says something about forming a contract you cannot get out of
wtf is this scam
>>
>>100132301
oh my bad
forgot michigan existed
>>
>>100132347
I wish I could as well
>>
>>100132308
I hate pretty much everything about iPhones but the music apps alone are almost enough to switch.
The situation on Android is a borderline tragedy.
>>
File: hell-michigan.jpg (32 KB, 299x335)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>100132347
>>100132675
Fuck you guys. And Wisconsin...for all that is holy keep your cheese covered hands off my UP or we'll ship all the niggers from Detroit and dune coons from Dearboarn to you. I'd rather let the syrupfags have the UP.
>>
The acid to ableton pedal combo gets me so wet @.@
>>
>>100133632
explain what you mean? like using pedal as a tubescreamer on a 303?
>>
>>100133330
>ship all the niggers from Detroit and dune coons from Dearboarn to you
Would be a legitimate improvement over sconnies.
>>
>>100133703
Might be true. I have seen quite a few Code Blue Cam videos regarding La Crosse. You guys even have a T-Rex, I'm kinda jealous.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (257 KB, 1857x1225)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
About to release a new version of my Midi app... fucking hell it took so much refactoring work to make THIS possible. Just to popup little confirmation boxes. I probably shouldn't be using EF Core, it's a pain in the ass...
>>
>>100130174
>>100133330
Wistudio One
>>
What the hell is this?
https://youtu.be/E3AGo_bOagA
Can somebody explain? I don't even know what to listen for.
>>
File: 849740602_max.jpg (53 KB, 1024x1024)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>100128450
Behringer
>>
Are there any pre-made Ableton midi tricks, racks, groups, macros or whatever for quickly sketching up drums or percussion sequences

Pianoroll drawing everything from scratch is so fucking painful

And don't answer with hardware
>>
>can someone make all my music for me so i don't have to spend 2 seconds programming a drum pattern
fuck off
>>
>>100134356
>tricks
Mate you gotta learn your DAW.
If you can't get a drum "sketch" rolling within like a minute you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>100134384
why are you always so mad
>>
>>100134287
1. I said parametric, that's not a PEQ
2. If I'm going to spend close to $200, I'll just get the Schiit Loki Mini+ to go with my Magni+.
Considering picrel and just run the thing off of a 12v wall wart. Don't understand why nobody makes a small desktop PEQ for home use.
>>
>>100134356
You can try the piano roll generators and transformers in version 12, or perhaps some M4L step sequencers.
Another option is to beatbox a basic percussion line and use the audio to midi to get a midi track out of it. You will have to clean it up, so there aren't really time advantages to this method, but it can be good for creative reasons.
>>
>>100134069
>>100133330
UP is rightful wisco clay
>>
>>100134463
NTA, but "parametric" implies that it has controls for Q and bandwidth, etc. per band. You posted a graphic EQ/tone control with knobs instead of sliders.
>>
>>100134544
Valid point. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and didn't notice, forgive me. Which means the Loki+ probably isn't parametric either. Now I'm gonna have to go hunt down a used Audio Control Four.1 from 25 years ago, pray I can get one for under $100 IF I find one, hope the pots aren't shot and it doesn't need to be recapped.
>>
>>100134626
No worries anon, I wish you the best of luck. I don't know much about the market for that or I'd offer a more helpful answer.
>>
>>100134415
disdain for retards
>>
>>100134544
>>100134626
>>100134657
Well fuck me...>>100128450 is only parametric for the bass. FFS. The hunt continues.
>>100134539
The fuck it is. Come fight me faggot
>>
>>100134666
Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die-
michel scoot

pro tip if you have no emotional regulation: just close your eyes and *don't* read dumb things
>>
Found one! And it's under $100!
>>
>>100134707
No, he's right. Retards must be told they're retarded for the greater good.
His only mistake is to think he's not a retard as well.
>>
>>100134855
Found a 4 band for half the price too.
>>
>>100134707
holy projection

>>100128450
>>100134463
>>100134855
>>100135049
off topic, not relevant to the thread
>>
>>100133330
>Dearboarn
Um it's DearBORN and DearBORN Heights, thank you very much!
>>
After buying your first sampler, synth or piece of equipment how long did it take you until you made something on it? I feel like I'll be studying this 404 for a while until I make something on it. Which is fine cause it's fun. These can be intimidating if you rush yourself though so I'm trying my best to keep a good slow pace.
>>
>>100133675
Mhmm, just pedal on any 303 patch goes hard lol
>>
Can I use my Digitone for this? It's only sines with harmonics and feedback control + fm
>>
n00b here

How the fuck do you get your midi synth hooked up to reaper?
I can get the microkorg to send midi to Reaper but I cant get the synth to play midi. I have everything set to channel 1 and like I say it half works
>>
>>100136446
how many midi cables are you using?
>>
,... what's up with the vital wavetable spread?
it only spreads *every other* voice? it just doubles up on two... just in case I detune it or what??
Matt Tytell angers me :|
>>
>>100135375
Last I checked, PEQs are used in studios and for mastering. Hence relevant to music production.
>>100135512
Yeah I know, I'm a filthy phone poster. I literally live 5 minutes from Dearborn Heights via Telegraph. You know, US-24.
>>
>>100136844
not your shitty headphone amps
>>
>>100136656
two and they feel like they are both securely connected. unless they just aren't?
>>
>>100136870
And? Still relevant to music production and not off topic. Get fukt.
>>
https://youtube.com/v/RFlQ-oervY4
>>
File: 9m8c1.jpg (39 KB, 675x499)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>100133675
>>
>>100137558
obfuscation of communication as a means of engagement and ideological conversion through meme warfare while deflecting all accountability is unironically top 5 threats to humanity right now.

I have no idea what you're trying to say and I hate this image.
>>
>>100137648
beats me, just felt like posting
>>
File: 1684686303641338.png (1.04 MB, 1300x1268)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>100137662
I can't make any other 303 patch sound as good as massive and it's bothering the fuck out of me
>>
File: 1667901421771546.png (253 KB, 640x480)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>>100137678
why do you need any other patches lol
just spam it and wiggle the filter
>>
>>100137648
Supposedly there's people who hate the 303 because "it's not a real synth". I never seen such a person though.
I think rather of all gear out there, the 303 is the only machine that is universally loved.
>>
>>100137648
ok libtard
>>
>>100137728
the fact that you know exactly what i'm talking about makes it that much worse
>>
>>100137703
more variety of sounds I need moar filters and goofy wavetables squelches bro

>>100137711
these people sound made up
>>
>>100137558
this image makes no sense

>>100137711
>zoomers repeating things they heard other people say
stop repeating bullshit
>>
>>100137711
The 303 is utterly despised by many people who have actually used it
>>
>>100138195
not her, agree it sucks dick to program but i've never heard anyone complain about the sound (not talking about on release when it was a bass replacement like the tr were "drum" replacements)
>>
File: 20240418_215353.jpg (3.39 MB, 2271x3028)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
https://voca.ro/16gvpPFnRjAB
Made something on the 404 today. Currently giving roland my money to get these project banks to save myself time on finding samples.
>>
whoaaa so this is the power of buying hardware instead of using your daw's sampler...
>>
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/ostirus-downloads/
>>
>>100119551
Tell me it's some cool shit. Fuck that, lemme hear it.
https://youtu.be/nsYg1uXgdug
>>
>>100138195
I did. First off it you're having a hard time put in new switches, they're easy to get and because it's such an old device easy to solder.
Then the 303's sequencer isn't about methodical composition, and nobody uses the song mode.
The pattern chaining is what it's all about.
And finally this isn't the 2010s there are dirt cheap authentic clones with midi.
>>100137962
Late millennial actually I did own a genuine one in 2012-2016 but traded it for a modular.
>>100138417
Fun fact: The sound of the 303 comes from the slide and accent circuitry, how they interact with the envelope and the central offset of the env filter modulation. Repeated accents drive the filter and resonance higher and higher which acts sort of like a synced lfo.
The oscillator and the filter have almost nothing to do with it, at least not for the typical distorted acid lines.
>>100137763
What I have actually seen are well meaning advice ala "don't get a 303 as your first synth, it will be too limiting"
Which is bullshit. You can also sort of make kicks when you slide from a short high note to a low long one with accent engaged.
You'd just get a short "beep" before the kick but that can be turned into noise with feedback or simply muted.
>>
>>100139082
>"don't get a 303 as your first synth, it will be too limiting" Which is bullshit
bro?
>>
>>100139104
looks like some ai shit or copied from reddit
>>
>>100139082
>there are dirt cheap authentic clones with midi.
Does that include the Behringer Bevelfish or whatever
>>
would a 303 be valid for the album theme with no dynamic filtering
>>
>>100138599
I'm glad you liked my beat : )
>>
>>100138417
Had real 303 for years. Very easy to program.
>play notes in step sequence
>play steps, rests and slides in
>twiddle knobs

Bought Behringer 303 clone. I have no idea how to program the thing. I've read the manual multiple times and watched videos etc. It makes no sense. Why would you make a clone device and then alter how to make sequences with the device?
>>
Loaded up some kits onto my 404. It takes so long to load samples but I also made a 8 bar loop while at work just now. I would've never learned any of this working in a DAW. The 404 makes the learning process more fun than a daw.
>>
>>100141858
Behringer is a crud company that steals almost everything and sells it to morons.
>>
>>100144568
yeah. It also sells everything very cheap and some of it is quite good quality. The Crave synth was quite nice for the price. As are their euro clones of Mutable Instrument stuff.
Oh wait. You're calling me a moron too. lol
>>
>>100144568
behringerslop will outlive us, i see those mdx series rack units all over the place
>>
When you guys talk about the 303, do you mean the actual synth and its emulations, or about any "303-like" sound the same way people talk about 808s?
>>
>>100141610
Probably not
It always has some amount of filtering and saturation no matter what the knobs are set to, and I think there's some weird asymmetry too
t. tried to write an emulator one time
>>
>>100146326
>>100146334
>"303-like" sound the same way people talk about 808
guilty
>>
>>100146334
I usually say "acid line" when talking about the actual sound, while noting that it's really fucking hard to get good acid sounds out of any arbitrary analog or VA synth
The original hardware is prohibitively rare but purpose-build emulations are good enough that it doesn't matter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx8eDoRiCogpqgPo91uS4aZHn6XjqIyari
>Oscilloscope view time is over. Because of "object reference does not point to an instance of the object". I don't know how to fix that. This happened when i downloaded "visual studio 2019"
>And now I CAN'T USE ALL OSCILLOSCOPE RENDER PROGRAMS. SidWizPlus, SidWiz2, Corrscope, OVGen are useless now!
Wtf? How does this work?
Are all oscilloscopes running on the same dependency that VS19 happens to mess up?
>>
>>100147024
sounds like a windows dependency got changed and the software needs a specific version to interact with the os
>>
>>100147117
Yeah I think you're right.
Didn't expect a single dependency to affect all those oscilloscopes at once.
>>
>>100147222
it probably breaks a bunch of other things, not just scopes. classic m$
>>
do any daws support arm windows yet?
>>
>>100147591
sunvox runs on everything
>>
Dae can explain the vital rotate knob?
Is it just haasing?? What do you do with it?

I hear immediately you can do some dumb stuff with it on mono signals but it's one of the few parameters I still haven't made much creative use of yet
>>
I want a KO II so bad but why the fuck did they have to lock it down to a fucking web app? what kind of fucking sampler becomes a paperweight if a website goes down, who does that shit
>>
>>100148215
LMAO what a cursed timeline
>>
File: JqsVn9u.gif (1.28 MB, 375x210)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>100148215
Because their target market is the same as apple
>>
is there an ez mode way to tune looping samples (looping fast enough to be pitched) or do I have to sit there looping my kick in simpler into a tuner feeling like an idiot??

Something about sample lengths in sampler but I feel like that would fuck things over in a way that simpler won't...

on some old school autechre shit because to-do list
>>
>>100148281
have a track that plays a reference tone and tune the samples against it, then remove the track later.
>>
>>100148774
err i'm talking more about the slides into tones than the actual tuning.
The only exact ratios I have memorized are 1:2 and 1:3 for fifths obviously so like the percentages for looping don't really seem practical for this.

Notes track once you get it initially and I'm just experimenting based on every simpler parameter atm but I was just wondering how other people went about it...
like obviously AE and the real autists just jump over this hurdle with their coding or whatever
>>
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=BkBhGD4FV-g&list=OLAK5uy_lciDJFsua9VgO_sJckDqXy8tH_1a5bkt0
how to wrap my head around jazz in terms of music theory or whatever? i guess in pure technical fidelity this recording is impressive for being half a century old, but musically...??
>>
>>100148854
i'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean
>>
>>100146334
when i say 303, i mean exactly the 303 or a vst emulation. i assumed others did too
>>
File: stinkmeaner_read.jpg (54 KB, 903x508)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>100149130
>>
>>100114679
Anything besides Frooty Loops with Audacity is shit.
>>
>>100149130
a pile of 2-5-1s. find standards you like and study them, different recordings of them, etc.
they took a popular song back then and converted the chords to things jazz improvisers could use while still keeping the simple melodies.
https://youtu.be/StM6blsh-Xg?t=68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzLBA5kCP1w&list=PLIuyaIoM30LKWzL4cazFXy4TRArYEI4dh&index=2

if you're a beginner or don't know music theory then all this is useless though
>>
>>100149321
E.g just holding a C on my current kick patch looping 100% of the sample would give me a C, looping 50% would give me a C an octave higher....

... I already made a tune with it so idc now really but I would have liked to automate that loop length to "slide" into different notes with more accuracy.
>>
>>100149497
the more harmonic content in a sample, the shitter it tunes when pitched. also the further you pitch, the harder it is to stay in tune. if you look with a spectrum analyser for the fundamental and next few partials, you can see what's going on.
>>
>>100146403
>t. tried to write an emulator one time
got any resources you can share on that or filter design?
>>
>>100148215
Wait is that true? The only way to put samples on it is through a web app? Please say sike
>>
>>100150057
not her but the 303 is notoriously difficult to model, the kvr threads have some discussions. it's more how the circuit interacts with itself that defies how synths are typically programmed
this guy's site has a bunch of stuff
https://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode
https://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode2

filter design isn't important to learn before you have a testbed set up (pd, max, juce vsts, etc). get that done first then worry about filter shit.
learning enough electronics and how to model the actual circuitry is sorta orthogonal to what we actually care about in programming music effects/synths. it helps to get the basics down before diving into something as weird as the 303 is for digital modelling.
>>
I am once again proposing we ask Chris Johnson of Airwindows for his take on a 303 filter !
>>
>>100146655
>it's really fucking hard to get good acid sounds out of any arbitrary analog or VA synth
Is that a common experience/opinion?
I've never thought of or heard of people calling acid sounds particularly difficult, but then again I haven't tried making them on *every* synth and I don't habitually lurk production forums outside of 4chan.

The only deciding factors that come to mind are filters with nice resonance and ease of use through envelopes (you'd think that was a given but stuff like built in velocity control and trigger resetting isn't standard, go figure), and a nice distortion.
Obviously the jump in quality between acceptable and genuinely exceptional is significant, but that can be said of pretty much any standard sound.
>>
Do u have a ritual for music making? I have to smoke and walk 2 miles before I'm comfortable to sit down at my desk.
>>
>>100150794
coffee and vidya for an hour while listening to music similar to what I want to make that day and taking note of things to try as I hear them every morning.
>>
>>100150553
there's no such thing. the 303 sound is a result of its design and circuit components interplaying with each other. you can maybe try using comb filters to get squelchy things but it won't sound quite the same
https://old.reddit.com/r/TechnoProduction/comments/vlfphq/303_envelope_driving_me_up_the_wall/
>>
>>100150890
thank you for crushing my dreams by education
>>
>>100149497
tuning your samples by ratios is literally JUSTing your shit up
>>
>>100151037
>JUSTing
JUST checked and apparently I never backed up the lfo tuning preset I made for vital RIP
(it worked but it was useless)
>>
File: output.webm (635 KB, 960x540)
635 KB
635 KB WEBM
Ok new version of my MIDI app is out. Pretty minor changes, but should be more stable and easy to use (you won't lose unsaved changes anymore). I'm open to any thoughts or feedback or feature requests.
I put the download link and the "getting started readme" at this pastebin: https://pastebin.com/LCANzbX7
Video with audio: >>>/wsg/5524020 (it's a low effort bad one)
https://is2.4chan.org/wsg/1713911721711100.webm
>>
>>100150266
god damn that looks complicated, I had no idea the circuit design would factor into the sound so much. I guess I should learn more about modeling circuits first, maybe try to emulate an atari punk console or something.
thanks for the links.
>filter design isn't important to learn before you have a testbed set up (pd, max, juce vsts, etc). get that done first then worry about filter shit.
I have that set up, QTSynth allows me to hear my code immediately. Only real filter my basic ass program has is from here http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/dsp.html#2 and it sounds pretty boring and weak.
>>100151070
nice, i'll try this out. Usually when I try to make music I use Renoise to send stuff to my program through loopMIDI.
>>
>>100151325
since you have that part then i recommend will pirkle's vst book, the art of va filter design by zavalishin, and dafx
>>
>>100151325
>nice, i'll try this out.
Thanks
Just a little background in case you haven't been following: it's supposed to be for live production, so everything happens in real time, though I don't know if it's feature complete enough to be able to do an actual performance.
>>
File: un.gif (1.09 MB, 220x165)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB GIF
>>100136844
>Yeah I know, I'm a filthy phone poster. I literally live 5 minutes from Dearborn Heights via Telegraph. You know, US-24.
We live right by each other wtf.
>>
File: virus ti.png (821 KB, 1440x729)
821 KB
821 KB PNG
Thoughts on the new Virus TI/Snow emu from the dsp56300 project?

download links
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/ostirus-downloads/
https://futurenoize.com/dsp56300/builds/ostirus/

Rom file
https://files.catbox.moe/7ulr7s.zip
>>
>keep getting distracted by making my own project sound banks
im just going to knock this all out tonight cause if i dont ill keep doing this every day instead of producing
>>
>>100151783
is it a clone of the firmware or just someones project trying to emulate it?
Will all my virus soundbanks load into it?
>>
>>100152235
Not him but this is the same project that made the previous Virus emulations
As with those, it runs the stock firmware, so the sound it produces is bit-level accurate to the hardware (assuming there are no emulation bugs)
>>100150793
Depends on the kind of acid line you're trying to make
You can do a basic squelchy sound in any synth, even crappy 2005-era VSTs, but really nailing some of the eccentricities of genuine 303 glides and envelopes is just impossible with a lot of synths
>>
hm,,,

https://vocaroo.com/1eP4qpiI4uYd
>>
>>100138586
sounds good
>Currently giving roland my money to get these project banks to save myself time on finding samples.
lame as fucking fuck. you have a sampler - use it to sample things.
>>
>>100152409
When I can find a way to rip vocals from songs I like so I can steal the parts I like thats the plan. I have plenty of sound packs with samples to chop. Isn't that the point of this? Load up a sample, take the part you want, add whatever you want, export. I spent a good amount of time today picking samples and making a project bank. It takes a long time cause only choosing shit I think sounds cool. I'm trying to do 1 project bank a day so I'll be full of my own original sounds in 2 weeks.
>>
>>100152487
>When I can find a way to rip vocals from songs I like so I can steal the parts I like thats the plan.
izotope rx series of tools. pretty good at extracting just vocals or whatever you like.

>Isn't that the point of this? Load up a sample, take the part you want, add whatever you want, export. I spent a good amount of time today picking samples and making a project bank.
nice. i'm so tempted to buy this 404 thing.
>>
File: file.png (943 KB, 1459x848)
943 KB
943 KB PNG
>>100151783
gigachad with the links
>Thoughts on the new Virus TI/Snow emu from the dsp56300 project?
it's awesome. i was using the earlier version they made and it too was awesome.
> rom file
thanks to you i can finally run it. the roms i had didn't work with it and couldn't find this firmware. are there any other roms for this?
>>
File: file.png (643 KB, 1918x1174)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
>>100152553
>izotope rx series of tools. pretty good at extracting just vocals or whatever you like.
pretty sure ive seen this name on rutracker so ill look into it

>this 404 thing.
im only on my 2nd year of producing but its probably my most fun purchase yet. i have a lot more fun sampling on this than on ableton. probably because its portable so i have been using it during my smoke breaks and my morning shift at work. loading samples is a long process cause its one by one but you can just drag and drop from ableton preview to the app
>>
>>100152748
What Ableton theme is that?
>>
>>100152765
riparian
>>
I don’t get why /dmp/ hates the MPC.
>>
>>100152748
>cymatics
that is objectively too many sample packs
>>
>>100152748
>pretty sure ive seen this name on rutracker so ill look into it
yep. it's where i got it from.
>im only on my 2nd year of producing but its probably my most fun purchase yet. i have a lot more fun sampling on this than on ableton.
yeah i'm kinda over daws for this sort of thing. i find it easier (and more pleasurable) to just use fasttracker 2 or renoise for beats / hiphop. i want to transfer stuff i made with trackers and daws to something like a 404 and then go mad chopping shit up until the sun exhausts all of its fuel. i can't do this easily with ableton, they're too many steps and things to do before you get to that. (also why recent mpc also caught my attention but the specs are shit).
>>
>>100152945
>i can't do this easily with ableton, they're too many steps and things to do before you get to that.
why
>>
>>100152877
nobody here hates the mpc. have you considered taking meds?
>>
>>100152955
>have you considered taking meds?
Of course not, I'm a gentile.
>>
>>100152952
> why
because ableton's UI is trash, its sample chopping feature is not even close to being accurate or on beat, it was like this whole process was an afterthought for the developers. i don't like using it. i'm constantly having to fix things due to timing issues (that pitch shifter/fixer isn't great either). it's all round not a very enjoyable experience.
>>
>>100152931
im skipping everything with loops im only putting one shots, hits and things of that matter onto the 404. i already know how im going to group the sounds for each project.

>>100152945
>can't do this easily with ableton, they're too many steps and things to do before you get to that.
I understand what you mean. I really struggled with learning how exactly to sample. the hardware makes it a lot easier cause you arent having to switch screens a lot or add in a bunch of other VST's to get into experimenting with sounds. it makes things a lot more fun and hands on.
>>
>>100152983
Ableton kinda sucks for MIDI too.
>>
File: Doubt.png (85 KB, 492x280)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>100153004
>>
>>100152773
Thanks
>>
>>100152983
>its sample chopping feature is not even close to being accurate or on beat, it was like this whole process was an afterthought for the developers.
the sample chopping is easy as shit, people have been using it for 20 years no issue. what is this brain damage that all you guys have where you can't even bother to learn warping
https://youtu.be/pXZWYyDNZ4k?t=60

>>100152995
>the hardware makes it a lot easier cause you arent having to switch screens a lot or add in a bunch of other VST's to get into experimenting with sounds.
you don't need any other vsts to experiment with sounds? you never even learned to sample
>>
File: file.png (1.22 MB, 762x1024)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>100152995
>I understand what you mean. I really struggled with learning how exactly to sample
yeah, it's not the most straight forward of things (at first).
>it makes things a lot more fun and hands on.
indeed, anon. devices like that are great. i first used the boss sp303 when it came out and thought it was brilliant so i've liked these kinds of samplers ever since.
>>
>>100153070
>you never even learned to sample
yeeh, i got the 404 to learn

>>100153083
i like the colors on this
>>
>>100153025
>ableton salesman is offended
>>
>>100153004
it's fine for basic shit, not really cubase or fl tier.
>>
>>100153122
fl studio seems like the equivalent of the unity engine for adhd aggy daggy babbies, not really an appropriate tool for making top tier music
>>
>>100153204
Never used it, kiddo. Are you imagining some epic rivalry where everybody who thinks Ableton is trash is a FL fan?
>>
File: file.png (176 KB, 489x362)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>100153070
people bitching about the ui sucking and ableton being unusable when he's making sick beats on a 4:3 crt with windows xp
zoomers lmao
>>
>>100153070
>the sample chopping is easy as shit, people have been using it for 20 years no issue.
>posts video demonstrating anon's gripes with software
what did anon mean by this?

>>100153106
yea looked cool in the dark as it glowed.
>>
>>100153228
ableton and fl studio seem like the most reasonable options for a beginner, and ableton is generally praised for its features and is under active development, you can even do just intonation, the complaints about the piano roll are really minor nitpicking
https://tuning.ableton.com/just-rational-intonation/intro-to-ji/
>>
File: file.png (1.61 MB, 1065x651)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>100153238
> be apollo brown
> used nothing but cooledit pro 2.0
> still uses it in current year
zoomers absolutely 100% btfo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0pzSviYh9Q
>>
>>100153242
those aren't gripes. that's literally using any software for sampling and you make your own touches with how you choose to chop things or put them on the grid or in relation to the grid
>>
>>100153258
>ableton and fl studio seem like the most reasonable options for a beginner
Nah they're garbage. Get a beginner set up with a tracker, an MPC, anything but Ableton or FL.
>>
>>100153283
>t. brainlet
most youtube tutorials are on ableton
>>
>the daw doesn't just pump out music for me, it's shit
the state of /dmp/
>>
>>100153297
Yes... Indian tutorials.

Ableton pays influencers and advertisers. Doesn't mean it's good. Or that Destiny is a good debater just because he's promoted on Jewtube.
>>
>>100153299
right, a piece of music could be worth millions of dollars, i'm not looking to play with a fisher price toy and that's it
>>
>>100153302
this anon gets it.

>>100153299
>seething this hard over a daw
love to see it
>>
>>100153333
i'm not seething over a daw. i'm seething over people spreading false information
>>
>>100153344
It's not false information, some people think Ableton sucks for various reasons. They're valid.

You're an Ableton salesperson so of course you're going to seethe if people don't want your shitty product you're sure to advertise in every thread, extensively. Nobody fucking cares about your DAW or you. You ain't shit and your hair ain't neither.

Now take your mom's computer and go home.
>>
File: file.png (108 KB, 1238x544)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>100153344
>i'm seething over people spreading false information
I use ableton every day, and it's accurate information.
>>
>>100153302
Dumb logic.
The existence of Ableton shills doesn't preclude the existence of good Ableton tutorials as well.

I'm sure Indian Ableton tutorials exist, but I've never seen one in over a decade of watching Ableton tutorials so they're extremely rare.
>>
>>100153554
Nobody wants your Jeetish Ableton garbage videos, nobody cares about if there are Ableton video tutorials. Shit you can find tutorials on using Cubase for the Atari on Youtube too. It's not some great advantage to have thousands of garbage videos.

Stupid fucking shill.
>>
>>100153554
>over a decade of watching Ableton tutorials
kek you must be mozart by now lol
>>
>>100153593
Meds.

>>100153603
I am.
>>
>>100153632
Who needs a full DECADE of tutorial videos to learn how to use a DAW though? Like what aren't you getting?
>>
>>100153644
Is this a real question?

I'm not watching tutorials that teach how to use Ableton.
I'm watching all types of music production tutorials that teach whatever they're teaching using Ableton.
Some times they're teaching a universal DAW-agnostic thing, and some times it's something exclusive to Ableton, but it's not the fucking day-1 "how to use Ableton" tutorials about the DAW itself FFS I shouldn't have to explain this.
>>
>>100153869
It just sounds like a big waste of time. Just stop advertising your DAW in every thread and there will be an end to the horror.
>>
>>100153879
Ok.
>>
>>100153869
> never ending story
amazing story btw. wouldn't read again.

>>100153632
>I am.
you might think you are but we all know that's nonsense.
>>
>>100153603
mozart is mid
>>
>>100154560
100% and the other dude from the movie was a much more talented composer :^)
>>
>>100154560
Mid 30s when he died? True :^)
>>
>>100154618
>>100154631
mozart was good at music in the way that jacob collier is good at music, it's just an NPC tier meme that classical music is sophisticated, implying richfag/high social status snobbery which is utterly distasteful by modern standards as there's a cost of living crisis and an ever growing wealth disparity, freaking detestable audiophiles listen to classical music, normal people not so much because it's archaic and deprecated
>>
this academiafag couldn't even tell mozart and pokemon apart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0M5LHTrMh8
>>
>>100154732
That priest who just be quoting star trek in their sermons for years and none of the audience ever questioned it lmao.
Extremely over rated. Nobody actually believes that shit.
>>
>>100154727
You're ALMOST good at this if you're making me consider defending Mozart when I don't fucking like his music at all
Well memed my friend
>>
>>100154560
let me guess you like mahler and philip glass
>>
>>100150057
>>100150266
>>100150553
>>100150890
https://faustlibraries.grame.fr/libs/vaeffects/#vediodeladder
>>
>>100153004
>t. Max4Livelet
>>
>>100155370
ugh no

maybe if companies would sell a license for life but the shit is stagnant between major releases all of which cost money

no for me it's purely hardware driving a MIDI-based setup, i'm just doing this for fun and i've been up to it for a while

i just recently finally managed to get my hands on an RS7000, I unplugged all my other junk and am working my way through the manual now, it's quite wicked
>>
>>100155456
>which cost money
ugh no
>>
>>100155495
>y-you can't spend money on a hobby! that's crazy! you should pirate software
you can do certain things with the RS7000 that you simply can't do with your computer, kiddo
>>
>>100155580
You can do WAAAAYYY more things with a computer that you can't do with hardware.
>>
>>100155456
So your gripe isn't with the program itself, but only with its pricing model.
>>
>>100155621
Pd is free and does the same stuff. I don't really see why you'd want to pay for Max. In fact Pd has its own advantages being newer. They're both by the same guy. Miller Puckette.
>>
>>100155608
Baloney.
>>
>>100155665
First you say that Ableton is bad for midi because it's expensive (???) then you say this.
There's zero chance you're not baiting.
Please stop my guy. Please.
>>
>>100155700
>First you say that Ableton is bad for midi because it's expensive
nope, didn't say that anywhere

didn't read the rest, you're a curious little bugger...
>>
>>100155718
This chain:
>>100153004
>>100155370
>>100155456
Not going to continue responding.
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 604x195)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>100155700
> seething this hard over a daw
you keep confusing anons out of rage. i'm the one that had gripes with it, that still uses it every day regardless, that posted the screenshot of me actually using it. you just can't seem to comprehend with that last iq point of yours how someone could dare criticize ableton and dare to use real hardware. pic related.
>>
>>100156401
>only 2 collections
you don't use ableton
>>
5:48am time to open the 404
>>
File: 1711909103143744.png (54 KB, 914x657)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>threadly reminder
>>
File: 1688939056650690.png (104 KB, 348x278)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>100157118
>he doesn't open it during work hours
Your job sucks, might as well make some tunes when nobody's watching
>>
>>100158118
I actually do bring it to my job. I got an 8 bar loop started I'm going to add more once I get home. I don't have co workers so it's easy for me to get away with music while working
>>
I want to sample my vinyls eventually. Don't wanna waste my money on a bad player though. Anyone got a suggestion
>>
>>100158837
You could always just get the $150 audio technica player assuming it has some line out
Otherwise I don't really know what you're aiming for unless it's decreased groove wear or something since the tech pretty much hit its peak in the 60s/70s
Here's a reddit thread that might be useful if your budget is massive tho
https://www.reddit.com/r/turntables/comments/13jocpn/best_turntable_for_1000/
>>
>>100158837
you don't need a DJ turntable to sample records
>>
File: 1623635176244.gif (650 KB, 320x480)
650 KB
650 KB GIF
>only one submission so far
grim.
current submission is nice tho
>>
>>100156461
Stop trying to sell Ableton in every thread. Nobody likes you, Ranjeet.
>>
File: 1711787620617633.jpg (65 KB, 1015x1024)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>100159837
>>
>>100156401
Who made the previous posts is irrelevant when this post >>100155456 responded to a discussion about midi capabilities with a point about pricing.
Ironically, you're also confusing Anons because this post >>100155621 is my first in the discussion lol. Not that who says what is relevant when you can discuss ideas directly rather than being sidetracked by who's angry and who has ulterior motives (all baseless and made up in your head based on what's convenient to believe for your narrative of course).
The ony directionbrained retard here is you for thinking that if anyone dares to respond to a critique of something it means that they're raging and running to its defense just to save its honor or something. You really can't fathom the idea of someone disagreeing with a critique because apparently everyone secretly agrees with you on everything lol. Must be why you didn't bother to actually address Anon's actual counterargument here >>100155370 and are only talking about the fact that we're "defending" Ableton at all.
Also, this post I'm responding to is the angriest-sounding one in the thread lmao, zero self awareness.
I'm also not going to continue to respond to you, as you're either trolling or a troll-level retard who's bot worth the time anyway.
>>
File: 1711909103143745.jpg (89 KB, 1200x1200)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>100159837
Don't worry I have a Penismank© track cooking
>>
>>100159837
Aren't the rules like... you can't use drums or anything? It has to be just sine waves?
>>
File: 98Nv4P.gif (1.81 MB, 640x360)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
>>100160095
>Aren't the rules like... you can't use drums or anything? It has to be just sine waves?
have you ever tried putting a pitch envelope on a sine wave with a short decay amp envelope?
>>
>>100160095
what the other anon said but also noise is allowed so you can make drums with that as well
>>
>>100159585
>>100159629
I don't want an expensive DJ table table. My local store has a lp60xbt. I'm assuming that'll be enough?
>>
>>100160110
>a pitch envelope
>a short decay amp envelope?
>Theme: everything is single saw/square/sine osc with a simple filter
>a simple filter
>a
Album anon here: multiple envelopes not allowed
>>
File: untitled11.jpg (24 KB, 462x327)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>100160197
Fine, pitch envelope followed by compressor with slow attack
>>
>>100159837
I accidentally made this a while back, is that okay for the album?
https://vocaroo.com/1adLJ6zF4LSW
>>
>>100160232
Hmmmm ok I'll allow it
>>100160267
Yes, it's great, added! (pls upload lossless format)
>>
>>100160232
Organizer here. This >>100160197 isn't me.
Any envelope and LFO that isn't so fast it affects the timbre is allowed.
>>
>>100160304
Kek cmon man don't make me start using the trip every time I have to post as the organizer.
>>
File: f8f8f8.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1000)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>100160359
Album anon here, who is this scam lord?
>>
>>100160267
Yes.
>>
>>100160373
https://desuarchive.org/g/search/tripcode/u98UQVL010o/
>>
>>100160304
>>100160374
I still want to tweak it a bit but I'll upload a .wav afterwards.
I'm also working on a less accidental track but that one is giving me more difficulty at the moment
>>
>>100160404
You can do it Anon, I believe in you.
>>
>>100160395
Hi
>>
test
>>
osterone
>>
>>100160395
>>
>>100160677
LMAOOO based trip generator.
Where's the other exclamation mark?
>>
>>100160693
from memory two is more secure and harder to generate but it's been a while
>>
>>100160720
Harder for you maybe.
I can generate them just fine.
>>
>>100160901
RIP album organizer
Need to move the rules offsite at this rate
>>
old people are delusional
i woke up at 6am and my day feels so fucked
i've been trying to work on a song but all i've got going on up there is fog of war
>>100160267
sounds fun!
>>
>>100160047
damn look at this wall of cope, you're a touchy little troon
>>
>>100159837
Yeah I'm not gonna make it
>>
I don't get why certain anons (you know who you are) dedicate time to shitpost in /dmp/ and attempt to ruin the albums.
I rarely use /dmp/ anymore, it's so shit now. I suspect more anons are going to leave, there's better places to discuss music production.
>>
>>100163034
where?
>>
>>100163034
my cope is that it's still doing better than /gg/ and /prod/ on /mu/
>>
There's a nonzero chance that this >>100163034 is also part of the troll.
Also this very post.
Trust is over. This is /dmp/'s conspiracy era.
>>
still can't tell if trying to make the album song in renoise was a mistake but all i know is that my workflow is vastly slower at the moment. feels bad to be this software illiterate...

>>100163982
if everyone is false flagging then no one is.........
(i am actively making this board worse by continuing to breathe)
>>
>>100164019
>by continuing to breathe
Kek
>>
File: file.png (16 KB, 363x233)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>100164019
I'M FALLING BACK INTO BEGINNER PRODUCER TRAPS AGAIN FUCK
>>
Newfag here. Just wanna make some lofi or hip hop beats on mp3s i downloaded from google. Rentry is too much. Can someone feed me what software should I use to get started thanks
>>
>>100164880
>Make beats from scratch
Probably reaper since it's trialware or whatever the hip kids call it. You can find some drum plugin if it doesn't have one and start writing beats, adding fx, etc
Reaper also has lofi tutorials on youtube
>Sample beats you download
You can just do it in audacity honestly
Technically you could probably do everything in audacity but after a certain point it's just too much effort
No real tutorials afaik but if you learn what effects you need it's pretty self explanatory for most things
>>
How viable is Ardour + FOSS plugins for making metal/rock music? Is there a better FOSS DAW? I have guitars and a drum set, I'll eventually get some mics for the drum set. I don't want to fall into proprietary stuff, but there's not much info out there compared to the wealth of info on say Ableton.
>>
>>100163034
>I rarely use /dmp/ anymore, it's so shit now.
this, there are obvious shitposters that just derail the threads
>I suspect more anons are going to leave, there's better places to discuss music production.
this but there aren't other, better places
>>
>>100165017
>reaper lofi tutorials on youtube
It looks cool thanks anon I'll try this out
>>
Every time I a/b compressors across similar gain reduction and slightly tweaked settings the results are pretty much indistinguishable when i'm doing initial processing autism on the drum buss.
Pro-C on clean versus glue for feed foward obviously.
Pretty much every other setting can be easily achieved with the stock ableton compressor with a few caveats (punch just emphasizes the attack more, pumping just has a different recovery whenever it's doing sidechain pumping are the main ones; I can't figure out what the vocal setting does but it's definitely different )
Very few situations where you get benefits over stock compressors.
Really makes you think.
>>
>>100166047
not me, i think people who need to buy hundreds of dollars of compressor plugins tend to be retarded. muh la2a, muh 1176, it just FEELS right. same with ssl/pultec eq shit. most of this will be completely transparent if you match settings for 99.99999% of use cases
>>
>>100166145
Imo there's definitely something to be said for investing in a piece of gear that helps you accomplish a result faster, even if it's something you can do on more basic gear you already have.
That said, that difference in speed is probably due to not taking the time to learn or wrongly assuming it can't be done in many cases.
>>
>>100166219
agreed, also a big problem is people make compression out to be way harder than it is
>>
>>100151779
You a Redford anon too I take it?
>>
>>100160901
Fake, you are album anon, make this one then
>>
>less than a week left
I could go for a little extension t b h
>>
>>100166047

It's not that they don't sound different, but most of them don't sound different enough which is a problem with software compression. Pro-C is not really a great sounding compressor so it's got that in common with the Ableton stock

Aside from a couple workhorses, the Acqua compressors are the only ones really worth having as they actually compliment the material.

I don't know what people are smoking who think UAD or Waves sound good. Some of the recent ones by Slate are decent (=not ugly sounding crap)

>>100166145

You're not supposed to gain match them, the whole staging could be different, plus you got different release curves and program-dependent behavior etc.

A good Pultec is invaluable, try wide boosting the highs by 12dB on a regular EQ and see where that gets you. An EQ that lets you do wild shit without butchering the material is rare. Same with a 76, you're supposed to slam the living shit out of your snares with them and not every comp is up to the task. It will suck the life right out. The Opto ones have entirely different use cases, but I haven't heard any plugin that sounds like an actual 2A, except maybe Aqua's El Rey which isn't even a 2A but can be applied similarly. It's weird how everyone accepts a 303 is difficult to emulate but a tube compressor relying on fucking photocells is somehow different.
>>
>>100167261
This is probably the most contrarian post on software compressors on 4channel i've ever read.
Are you adamant that compressors should colour sounds or do you just have a really specific idea of what compression is supposed to sound like?
I've legitimately never seen anything but praise for glue lol
>>
>>100167354
He is a literal acustica shill
>>
>digitakt
>but 2
>"little box of magic"
whoaa
>>
>>100167511
ohh okie thanks for explaining :3
>>
>>100167354

It's easy to reach that conclusion seeing as how often compressors are used just for the color, but that's not what I meant with complimenting the material. Even with a transparent comp like Xpressor the gain reduction just sounds better, the material doesn't lose depth even when you push it, rather than just being ham-fisted with the material and ruining it. With most S/W comps you have to be careful and fine tune it a lot, you need to use lighter settings if you're not going for the OTT sound. And I can see how it's easy to lose interest in a million plugs behaving the same.

BTW I was referring to Ableton's regular stock compressor, the Glue comp is fine.
>>
>>100167511
I'm not, I'm a hardware shill for comps. but if that's not an option, or cloud alternatives like mix analog/access analog, then the R2R-ized acustica stuff is a decent substitute (fuck their copy protection), or just use the stock comp, what do I care.
>>
outsourcing my compression to the cloud like a boss for the win
>>
>>100167088
Nah I don't feel like it
>>
If you don't release officially/professionally, paying attention to shit like the difference between compressors is pointless.
If you do, you should have a proper mixing engineer care about that shit for you.
Bottom line, as a producer it makes no sense to worry about minute and barely audible things like that.
>>
>>100168964
Oh, where to begin...

Do people on the whole really not understand skill/knowledge informing other skills/knowledge?
what you’re saying is as stupid as telling people it’s pointless to learn how to read unless they want to become an author like??!
I’ve seen this similar like of thought in retarded takes by other “creatives” and its never not dumbfounding
>>
>>100169044
Diplo doesn't know any of that compressor shit.
>>
>>100169087
I saw a tiktok the other day with pics of MIA and the search was "MIA becoming what she hated" ???
I wanna know but I don't want to hate her :|
>>
>>100169161
dude she's always been a rich poser lol
>>
>>100169184
posing as what...??
>>
>>100168964
basically this
https://youtu.be/WwF91IRgBE0?t=377

if you can't get shit right in a static mix first with volume sliders, all the plugins in the world won't save you. so many people default to chucking in a bunch of plugins on a track/buss without even getting a solid mix first. they create a bunch of problems for themselves instead of solving problems
>>
>>100169288
>youtuber slop
don't care

who the fuck doesn't know to level first lol
>>
>>100169322
people who throw the fab filter suite and other slop onto their channel before even mixing
>>
>bump limit
FUCK!!!!!!!
>>
new
>>100170188
>>100170188
>>100170188

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.