[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 44651167_p0.png (1.33 MB, 1280x905)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>Wikis
https://dmpdoc.neocities.org/
https://web.archive.org/web/20220330105340/https://rentry.org/dmpdoc
https://rentry.org/dmprockandroll/
https://mu-sic-production.fandom.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

>/g/ makes a 12th album
Theme: everything is single saw/square/sine osc with a simple filter
Title: Let me guess, you need more
Deadline: Midnight between April 30th and May 1st

Please post cover art and theme suggestions

>IMPORTANT! READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING:
Upload the file somewhere and post the link here. If you want to update your track, make a new post.
If possible use a lossless format and upload to a file-sharing service, not to a music site like Vocaroo or SoundCloud.
Include the title of the song in the post. Don't rely on us reading it from the filename or tags.
When you post the submission make sure that the song is clearly a submission for the album, otherwise it might get skipped.
Songs that contain anything against YouTube's policies won't be uploaded on YT (but will still be added to the album).
If your track's volume goes above 0 dB it will be clipped for the release.

>Where can I hear the previous albums?
https://rentry.org/dmpalbums

A board dedicated to all aspects of music making and audio would be great for many reasons. Here's why:
https://pastebin.com/ZHXhfRZw
If you like the idea, let 4chan know at https://4channel.org/feedback (under Board Suggestion)

Previous: >>100114679
>>
>>100170188
>pic
Is there something special about David Smith synths?
I recall hardware nerds saying something about the filters when analog monos first started trending...
Only reason it sparked remaining interest is because I saw a picture of HTRK using a mopho4 or something like that <.<
>>
File: 1711909103143744.png (54 KB, 914x657)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>threadly reminder
>>
>>100170188
Hey guys I'm trying my hand at writing a toy daw, I'm a music noob and don't know much, can someone give me a list of features i need? I'm thinking
>Piano roll, can play soundfonts. I think you can also just up/down pitch wavs to make different notes as well
>Beat maker, already got this mostly working, just samples played at intervals, toggle buttons every beat to turn sample on/off
>Synth - no idea about this but ill look at some existing ones
>FX to put over everything, like reverb or pitch shift
>Throw everything on a timeline and be able to move it around
That's my plan so far. What am i missing?
>>
>>100171057
Chord tools are something I wish more DAWs had
Everyone who uses those a lot just uses Cubase
>>
>>100170336
>Is there something special about David Smith synths?

Yes, they all have a harsh top end and are wired way too tight for VCO's. not a great example of warm analog. with that, you need a fancy filter to mask it and the design aesthetic of the worst of 90-00's music gear, luckily Dave's got you covered there

Dave Smith struck lightning when he made the prophet 5 in his garage in the late 70's. he spent the rest of his life reinventing the wheel
>>
>>100170188
For once, a based OP pic. Thank you >>99299027
>>
>>100170336
i've owned a few and generally like them. one of the pitfalls of the mopho/evolver/tetra/p12 gen is that they are overdriven by design and set up so that you can break them easily by pushing the parameters. the presets are also not very good. to make them clean you have to back everything off quite a bit and gain stage later in the chain.

there is no magic they have that you can't find in other synths, but if you are an edgyboy like myself they fit quite well. i wouldn't waste my time trying to make ambient pads/leads, other gear is better at that
>>
based elektron crashing the price of the digitakt
>>
>>100173160
>used to be £475
>increased to £750
>now £650
>>
>>100173827
>£650
sounds rough
>>
>>100173892
>used
>>
>>100173966
problem?
>>
>>100173985
>based elektron crashing the price of the digitakt
>used price has nothing to do with elektron
are you growth stunted in any way?
>>
>>100174179
if you think used prices aren't related you are the problem.
>>
I've had like 10-30+ songs (idr) ready to go and mastered 4 of them to finally start releasing like 3 fucking months ago and haven't for LITERALLY no reason.
These were even specifically supposed to have a "not serious" vibe and I still haven't (not a low effort quality but the style of songs) and I still just haven't.

Somebody say something really mean to me if I don't do it by the end of the day this is ridiculous.

... does distrokid/spotify scan reliably for copyrighted material?
One of them heavily samples a song and I haven't decided whether or not to risk that or just make that one a youtube/bandcamp only to be safe.
>>
>>100175646
If you don't have it in you to release those songs then you don't have it in you to succeed in music under any definition of the word.
The fruits of all your future music endeavors hinge entirely on your ability to demonstrate, mainly to yourself, that you have the BARE MINIMUM will to upload a fucking song.
Not doing it will have a serious impact on your psyche, and will not only affect your view of yourself, but it will also MAKE YOU into someone who's significantly less likely to make it.
It's not an empty insult but a scientific fact that if you don't release those songs TODAY, you're simply a bitch.
>>
>>100175646
>does distrokid/spotify scan reliably for copyrighted material?
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
>>
>>100174202
Your parents were clearly closely related when they were born.
>>
>>100176023
>you're simply a bitch.
this is my fetish you're not helping thanks

>>100176060
I reinstalled FNV and it has legitimately done harm to my making music.
I will open Ableton in.... 40 minutes..........
>>
File: 1614434644534.jpg (99 KB, 1801x865)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>100176301
>pounds sterling
aren't you all related
>>
>>100176650
Isn't everyone?
>>
>>100171924
>synths highly sought after to this day
>o-oh they're poopy because... i invented this reason
He's worked with a number of companies and famous other instrument designers on a huge number of fascinating and world famous products. Time to save up some money and trade in your VSTs for real synths kiddo.
>>
>>100175646
This is bait for retards. You don't make any music or you'd know that on Spotify you have to release through a "label" even if you're supposedly independent and they WILL enforce sample clearing.

The fact is it doesn't matter if you "release" or not, nobody fucking cares one way or the other. Stop being so stupid and shitting up the board.
>>
>>100179033
This is bait for retards. You don't make any music or you'd know that on Spotify you can release through a "distributor" even if you're supposedly independent and they will NOT enforce sample clearing.
>>
>>100179033
>nobody fucking cares
I thought about including a self deprecating part about that bit but I had just woken up so the self hatred hadn't fully settled in yet, I sincerely apologize.
>>
>>100179100
>and they will NOT enforce sample clearing.
Yes they will. And that nigger didn't DO that.

>>100179181
My point is this is /dmp/ and nobody wants to hear about boyfriends, depression, etc. It simply belongs all on /lgbt/.
>>
>>100179339
>Yes they will
Proof that distrokid, cdbaby, etc aren't completely automated and have ways to detect samples used in your songs?
>>
>>100178969
>synths highly sought after to this day
Who the fuck highly seeks after a prophet-08 or Mopho?

>o-oh they're poopy because... i invented this reason

A quick google search will confirm it's not something I invented off the bat

>He's worked with a number of companies and famous other instrument designers on a huge number of fascinating and world famous products.

...how many of which are Sequential/DSI synthesizers, which is what was asked about?
>>
>>100179339
>boyfriends
Wait are there no other girls here..?
I know it's /g/ but I know some of my friends lurk here as well, not as much as other boards obviously though.

>>100179372
Distributors definitely have auto-scans.
I have no idea of their effectiveness though.
>>
>>100179458
>other
>>
>>100179458
Gender on this board is unary. If you're female, you're male now, and therefore trans. Order your programming socks post haste.
>>
This is supposedly a genius producer that y'all idolize
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBPYGM8WyE
>>
>>100179640
It's a small general so I didn't think it would matter, but I am familiar with the customs.
>>
>>100179419
>Who the fuck highly seeks after a prophet-08 or Mopho?
Tons of people, used ones go for top dollar still. Look up how many people use them. They're all much, much better then you, and anybody who you like musically.
>>
>>100179458
You're not a girl, keep your looney trooneys to yourself and out of /dmp/ please, your depression, your medical problems, all of it.

>>100179640
>Gender
Biological sex you mean? We don't do gender on 4chan outside /lgbt/ and /v/.
>>
>>100179779
The word was borrowed from linguistics in the first place, so you can pry it from my cold hands after you bludgeon me to death with a Shure SM58.
>>
>>100179841
When you borrow something you're supposed to return it in better condition than when you got it, not transform it into something completely different then refuse to give it back
>>
>>100179779
>your medical problems
oh, you're THAT anon lol

>>100179841
it's the fact that this is a problem specifically rooted in english and that a million other cultures already had a concept of this thousands of years ago for me lmao

I promise to stop posting for the rest of the day now please don't derail the thread on my account.
>>
>>100180023
>this is a problem specifically rooted in english
No, many languages have problems with Marxists and Jews co-opting language and redefining it.
>>
Hey is Ableton Live any good? I heard it kinda sucks...
>>
>>100180225
Yeah it sucks for MIDI for sure.
>>
File: 1583953268841.jpg (65 KB, 400x388)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>100180225
>>100180241
This is a board for Reaper and Renoise chads only
>>
>>100180275
When Reaper gets a tracker interface it will conquer the universe
>>
>>100180125
The *weaponization* of this issue being specifically rooted in english, and people consequentially being dense about the subject on purpose.
>Jews
It's like you're trying to openly present yourself as a child whining at the foot of the adult table.
>>
File: j2jjv9aabdfph0ulfh4n.jpg (83 KB, 800x600)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>100180275
You do mean hardware MIDI sequencer board, I'm sure.
>>
What's a good stem splitter? I really like the previews on lalal.ai but is there a free one?
>>
>>100180506
spleeter
>>
File: file.png (237 KB, 2560x1050)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
>>100166765
No right in Dearborn Heights
>>100180275
We're a FT2 board
>>
>>100180506
Stop trying to push your AI garbage here. There's a thread for that now, GET the FUCK OUT.
>>
>>100173160
>>100173892
> hundreds of dollars for second hand trash that makes an MPC from 1990 look like a super computer
lmao. the absolute state of this fucking board.
>>
File: file.png (109 KB, 1264x800)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>100180631
> using the OG in dosbox
commendable but this exists:
https://16-bits.org/ft2.php
>>
>>100180699
not that anon but, how can i slpit stems myself? just fuck around with the eq for a while??
>>
>>100180872
why do you even want to split stems? you sound too retarded to do anything
>>
>>100180872
Just shut the fuck up and stop advertising garbage in the thread you loser faggot.
>>
>>100180891
remixing things, retard
>>
So no one is using my little MIDI app? :(
>>
>>100180972
not touching it if it's not open source
>>
>>100180972
Does it work on OpenBSD?
>>
>>100180999
Checked
And I thought about open sourcing it, but I'm currently unemployed and trying to turn this into a business because the job market for SWEs sucks this year and I've got zero job leads right now. I could open source what's currently available I guess, and then some day charge for extra features or some kind of optional cloud storage, but that seems like a bad idea.
>>100181121
Probably not unless you have a way to run Windows apps. Another poster here said it worked on Wine, but idk what distro he was using.
>>
>>100181234
>using Windows for music
>using Windows for music programming
Not to knock anybody's personal choices but this is like the hardest most complicated way to go about making music programs.
>>
>>100181280
Well, it doesn't make any audio directly, it just sequences MIDI messages which could go anywhere. I use virtual MIDI ports to control VSTs running locally, but it could control hardware or software on another machine too I guess with the right connections. And I chose Windows because it's the desktop OS with the best touch screen support (last I checked). Apple won't do it in MacOS because that might cut into iPad sales, and Linux... idk, too many unknowns. The touchscreen interface is supposed to make it easy to control during a live performance.
>>
>>100181376
Well I'm not trying to discourage you, go for it and have fun. If you're a Windows user already and want to do a project, why not? It's great. Sorry if I didn't make all that clear from the start.
>>
>>100181280
Pro Tools runs on Windows now you 3D donut
>>
>>100180275
>>100180471
>>100180631
>>100182354
see >>100180999
anybody here incapable of setting up a low latency jackd server and/or creating their own sounds and effects with puredata or similar open source software should pay to post here
>>
>>100182447
you didn't make the open sores post, i did.

i will never use linux for audio for the foreseeable future. audio drivers are complete shit
>>
I actually just hate writing dubstep desu
feels wrong a ball is sticky and flabby and not bouncing around the inside of my skull YUCK

https://vocaroo.com/1eBp6rqPGoao
>>
>>100182579
The way you write words is so fucking bizarre and unhinged and that tells me you have a knack for music even though I don't listen to what anybody posts or reply when they ask for critiques
>>
>>100182594
:|

I had to delete like 5 paragraphs on abstraction in art and communication barriers that spring to mind.
There are too many things to say but I hate being perceived.

anyway it's not fun and does not feel effortless (the (this) music)
>>
>>100182833
I didn't really mean that last part but right now I am in a loud environment and can't yet give it a decent listen so I went with japes
I applaud your communion with the void
>>
>>100183019
Well it made me laugh lol
Don't bother listening t b h it's just a random draft from one of my weakest genres, I already decided to dump it.
>>
Boomp
>>
>>100182579
From first impression: tempo too fast, not enough microtiming autism. Thing is, making music sound better and snappier at slower tempo is a real instrument practice. The sequencer doesn't do it on its own.
>>
Anyone record guitar with Katana MK2? What is the best way for a simple setup wherein I can record into reaper using an electric guitar with passive pickups?
>>
>>100187523
an audio interface with hi-z inputs, like $100-160
>>
>>100187523
>Katana
Does it have wavefolding?
>>
File: boss katana.png (1.23 MB, 1135x757)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>100187523
The Katana has USB for recording. So that's the simplest and cleanest way to record, since it's digital anyway. If you just connect a USB cable to your computer, you'll have an audio device for recording into your DAW.
The next option is to use its line out/record out jack. Connect this to your HiZ input on your audio interface and go from there.
The more complicated and traditional way to record is to put a microphone in front of the speaker. This is the most versatile, since it also captures the speaker sound characteristics, and allows for a myriad of mic positions. It's also the most fiddly option, and it requires the most gear, since you can scale up to multi microphone recording.
>>
>>100189438
if anon starts with external mic'ing he'll never get a song done because he'll be fiddling with mic choice and position forever. it's nearly as bad as drum set mic setup
>>
File: dmpmeme.jpg (95 KB, 397x590)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>
>>100191021
Only thing wrong with this is the extra S
>>
>>100170188
Album submission
Title: "idk"
https://files.catbox.moe/brr2yu.wav
Decided to loop it once because it was kind of designed to loop and it's really short anyway
>>
>>100192217
nice
>>
>>100192164
wet up that master bussy
>>
File: LMGYNM album.png (104 KB, 1000x1000)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
Album art submission
I wanted to keep it minimal to match the album
>>
Okay see my ONE thing with timeline drumming is that there is no shortcut to alter volume without clicking into an individual audio clip.
I've tried to mitigate the time of this by forgoing my autistic rule of 3s (in a snare roll for example I would automate each preceding hit by -3, -6... and so on) so I don't have to manually enter each number and just drag it but that's... not enough.

Shift+drag should really do this, it's not doing anything else yeah? Seems like a no brainer to me.

>inb4 just use drum rack
no shutup it's not even close to the same
>>
>>100192572
What are you even talking about, timeline drumming? This is word salad. Stop making garbage nonsense posts.
>>
>>100192367
>you're disgusting and have gay brain and it dribbles out into your posts and probably every single thing you say and do
Please confine yourself to actual music stuff, nobody wants to read about your icky poopy "sex" life.
>>
>>100179689
Only producer worth watching is Bizzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0w4T6UQkI
>>
>>100182579
The two bars between seconds 16 and 18 have a real good groove and could make a nice chunky techno track
>>
>>100179689
i didn't realize this board was 50+
>>100193999
i should've known it's always bong shitposting
>>
>>100193593
I forgot to upload the ableton screenshot with/without drum rack.
Sorry I forget that there are people who can’t infer what drums+timeline might mean with the rest of that context
>>
>>100182579
https://vocaroo.com/1cEPXsN9vtbQ
>>
>>100194885
hahaha naisu
>>
>>100194790
People use all kinds of tools here, it's unlikely that they all or even mostly use the same stuff you do. This isn't an Ableton General after all (or whatever).
>>
>>100195429
"timeline" is a a universal thing across all DAWs
>>
>>100194790
you suck at explaining things and always write them in the most confusing ways possible
>>
>>100195591
kk i'll stop posting dw bro just remind me next time in case I forget I said this. I spend too much time here anyway
>>
OK I'm going to sell a BUNCH of junk I never use. A bunch of Sound Canvases (I'll keep my higher end one), Model:Cycles (it has super shitty limitations which cripple it IMHO), MS-20, which has reached retard prices, some other stuff. RD-6-SR, that thing has no punch (just like the original...), that's going. TD-3-SR, the MO model which I also have is just incredibly more useful. Yamaha TQ5 is gone, even though it's quite a good instrument and they don't get much love so they aren't worth much even today. I have 2 Roland PMA-5's, they are OK and work as a Sound Canvas too. But they are kind of shitty for music composition, the Yamaha QY-70 and QY-100 both blow it away so much it's not even funny. I might also sell my Polyend Tracker even though it's fun, but I don't like the rubber coated plastic top (will turn to shit in 5 years or less) or lack of real MIDI ports, plus software trackers are just much more capable and Polyend isn't very interested in even making the thing capable of Protracker tier technology. Other shit thing is it can't open common tracker files, nor is there a converter, nor do they even plan to make that happen even though EVERY tracker these days and even in the olden days would open other formats of sample-based tracker files.
>>
Also my old MPC 2000, that's a goner too. It needs a new screen which I ordered, and it has a flash drive, those upgrades will easily make it sell. I have an MPC500 which is better in almost every way, and an MPC One which I really like even though people shit on nu-Akai. It's functionally identical to any classic MPC if you just operate the buttons and such, it's also a full DAW with many enhancements that Akai barely tried to implement even in the 2500/4000 days.
>>
>>100196033
>Model:Cycles (it has super shitty limitations which cripple it IMHO)
not sure you'll be able to, i always see a ton of these used. i have one too and don't care for it much
>>
>>100196460
it's weak

use a sequencer with an FM synth and a knob box or some CC controllers or whatever, you'll have a much better time, you can't even change which parameters each knob controls which means there are substantial dead zones where the limited range and parameters they allow you to control result in the same sounding aural sludge

elektron is a meme chinkshit company now, i say this as the proud owner of a sidstation
>>
>>100196501
i know, i have one. i wanted a cheap groovebox/drum machine but there's still nothing good in the price range
>>
>>100196033
don't sell the ms-20, unload all the other slop
>>
>>100196562
mpc500

>>100196571
MS-20 is OK but really I also have the Behringer 2600 clone which if I sold the MS-20 I could compensate myself for many times, it's technically superior too.
>>
>>100196688
>mpc500
way too old and expensive, never seen a decent quality one at the same price
>>
File: Star-Trek-Okona.jpg (82 KB, 1400x700)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>100196863
$200-300, there's a LNIB one on eBay right now for like $325.

captcha tngdj
>>
this is a solid metal thing which could serve as a lethal weapon, that actually runs on batteries, can do fifty times as much as any modern elektron groove box, and is dirt cheap, with real MIDI ports and a nice modern enough way to get samples into it

it's an mpc2000xl on steriods assuming you don't need the multi-out or SMPTE
>>
>>100196910
i paid $270 for the cycles, now i'm risking some used unreliable hardware for more money that i can't test out and that i'll have to eat cost on shipping if i can even return it. no thanks
>>
>>100196954
>used unreliable hardware
The MPC500 is a solid reliable bit of kit, the parts of it that can wear out are easily replaced, it's even made to resist spills like a classic Thinkpad.

It's one of the last real Akai products even though it was in the gap period.
>>
>>100196974
every review i read mentioned them breaking, and not working with batteries anymore
>>
>>100197000
can you point me to the site wherein you gathered your survey of reviews? Mine's been literally thrown around for years and works like a champ
>>
>>100197017
survivor bias
>>
i did replace the pads with "fat pads" and wrap it and put a new screen with an old school calculator type display with the glowing segments
>>
>>100197025
i just can't imagine the kind of mistreatment you'd have to give an MPC500 to make it fail, have you hefted one? It's about the size of a trade paperback and it's a solid metal contraption weighting like 2 1/2 pounds or something, i know you can beat somebody's ass with it
>>
>>100197043
oh and also the display lens is cracked but only a bit and only at the edge so it's nbd and the crack has never spred
>>
what AI do I use to make cringey tough guy edgelord dialog to sample for my dubstep tracks?
>>
This might sound really stupid cause I'm not usually a /g/ guy, but I have FL Studio and a midi controller, would that be enough to make music? I want to make eurobeat, I also have an XLR microphone and an audio interface.
Is there any recommended FL Studio tutorial/course or should I just go on Youtube and watch whatever comes first and has like more than 200k views?
>>
>>100198003
Why Megatron from Transformers of course
https://voca.ro/1kGMN2O1Be2J
>>
>>100198349
teach me bro i need anime monologues in my wubs so i can tear down the facade of cool
>>
>>100198003
run alex jones through a vocoder
>>
>>100198333
>This might sound really stupid cause I'm not usually a /g/ guy
Welcome
>I have FL Studio and a midi controller, would that be enough to make music?
Yes, you don't even need the midi controller
>I want to make eurobeat
Good
>I also have an XLR microphone and an audio interface.
Great, both arguably more important than midi controller
>Is there any recommended FL Studio tutorial/course or should I just go on Youtube and watch whatever comes first and has like more than 200k views?
Yes, get learning!
>>
>>100193999
What race is this?
>>
>search up chill nes music for some inspiration because my track is NOT sounding good
>click on first playlist i see
>final fantasy
>it feels like a study on counterpoint
i really should've gone through fux gradus...
>>
>>100198437
fuckin lol
>>
>>100198664
sur americano
>>
>>100198870
sis, your tim follin pictionary, robocop, solstice, indiana jones
https://youtu.be/oKEaaWYdYfs?t=176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIKnn-COS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA
>>
File: 1324254644902.jpg (8 KB, 160x160)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>mfw album anon doesn't accept my track
>>
>>100200120
/dmp/ is a general with very high standards, git gud loser
>>
discontinuity this week, airsisters. poggy woggy
>>
File: 1702382658994945.png (172 KB, 386x445)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>100200379
>/dmp/ is a general with very high standards
>>
File: 1711909103143745.jpg (89 KB, 1200x1200)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Album submission
Title: 16 Votes
https://voca.ro/11c6Dm044x1L
Shout out to the 16 heroes!
>>
basic guitar recording and creating drum tracks. what DAW to use? Preferably something simple that will have me recording without much hassle. how did you learn how to program drums?
>>
>>100202388
If you have a Mac just use bandcamp, otherwise Reaper will work ok.
You learn drum programming by just doing it and look at basic well known rhythms
>>
>>100202388
any daw will do, just need an interface. learned to play drums irl
>>
>still stuck flipping through samples on the 404 trying to make a pattern I like enough to follow tutorial videos
It's such a pain in the ass having this thing in my head telling me I need a better loop to start learning. I know my first few beats on the 404 won't be good but I'm stuck going in circles cause I really want to like whatever I'm making.
>>
>>100203644
>I really want to like whatever I'm making.
The big change for me personally was to become process oriented.
I LOVE the moment of creation and everything about learning, exploring ideas and everything that goes with it.
Of course it feels better when you can tell it sounds good immediately, but if you can learn to detach that expectation it will take off a lot of pressure and make starting and ditching songs not feel like a big deal... so you’ll do it more often hopefully.
>>
>>100205440
Yeah trying to not get hung up on my idea not being the best is difficult. I'm trying to break the habit but whenever I start adding my own drums my songs fall apart. I thought maybe I'd have better luck with drum breaks instead of one shots but still no luck
>>
>>100203644
>I really want to like whatever I'm making
Easy: just listen to it enough times
>>
>>100182579
Terrible sound design, even for dubstep. Kys.
>>
>>100202690
>strudel.cc
>>
Trying to re-fit Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro earpads is suicide fuel...
>>
somebody help come up with my new shitposting persona for the dubstep [serious]
>>
>>100208655
What kind of shitposting?
>>
>>100208818
Something provocative. Forward thinking.
Brainless and angering but not funny or enjoyable to anybody but the poster.
Elaborate and time demanding, but not through being verbose.
>>
>>100209249
Is this shitposting supposed to take place on 4chan? Twitter? Your actual discography?
>>
>>100209268
nevermind this is too much effort
>>
>>100209310
Lol
>>
File: Percussionator.png (78 KB, 1034x193)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
Finally, no more piano roll drawing every percussion by hand
>>
>>100017535 (me)
>>100032988 (me)
https://voca.ro/1aZ72Wswz5Kk This is working but I can probably improve the section in the middle with the key changes
Maybe it needs a guitar solo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92FxWPdOXX0
how useful are these gadgets for making modern professional songs? wouldn't a competently used DAW running on a good computer let you do pretty much everything you need?
>>
>>100210828
>wouldn't a competently used DAW running on a good computer let you do pretty much everything you need?
Yes and more.
In general the consumer music production hardware industry has taken aim at toys for hobbiest as that's where most of the money is.
IMHO The only thing really going for these types of devices or anything out of the box is the limitation psychology. Constraints forcing creativity.
>>
>learning more controls on the 404
>more confident in my ability to navigate the sampler now
>still getting hung up on picking and matching samples
My process has been listening to melodic one shots in my sample folder and putting them into banks. A lot of the folders I have don't come with drums. The ones that do are usually loops or breaks. I have some one shot drums I've been using but they never match with samples I'm picking. Anyone have advice on knowing what things work well together? Reposting
>>
>>100210828
the 1010 stuff was meant to be small for gigs, not the hub of your studio
>>
>>100210828
expensive toys for tech bros
>>
>>100210923
>advice on knowing what things work well together?
Getting a shit ton of experience, trial and error.

Sound selection is far and away one of the most important skills tot have when making music electronically, but developing your taste/a "good ear" in that regard will happen far faster by trying 10 in 10 songs as opposed to painstakingly making 1 carefully selected pallet, especially when you're new.
-Try a shit load of combinations and metally take note of what sounds you think sound good together and what sounds you personally gravitate toward, and what you think you like about them.
>>
you could have learned this lesson using your daw's built in sampling tools
>>
File: 1657915234706.jpg (83 KB, 1188x828)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>100211197
>watching people make music :D
>grrr n- not like that BAKA D:<
>>
>>100211167
Thanks I'll keep up what I'm doing then. I knew it would take time and patience. Plus making a lot of shit I won't care for or like. just like when I started on the DAW last year it was overwhelming and I made a lot of dog shit but there were times when I made something that got a positive response from my friends and a few anons. Appreciate the advice brother
>>
>>100211197
It's a lot more fun taking my 404 to the car and hot boxing at night while making music. I also bring it to my morning shift. On a good day I can get 40 minutes in but I usually get at least 25-30. My morning shift is 6:45-8
>>
File: 001.1e.jpg (1.23 MB, 2200x2200)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
Cover submission:
https://litter.catbox.moe/f67ikq.7z

jpg related is not the submission. Only the png in the archive is.
>>
udio now lets you crop when extending, you need to choose the "select section" option and choose the part you want to change
>>
>>100212386
too much hassle kek
>>
>>100212163
Did you really need to zip a picture?
>>
>>100213257
I want to keep the filename intact, and I also included a txt with the hex colors used.
>>
File: 1713057394665482.png (391 KB, 680x652)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
>mfw discovered the virus ti synth emulator and the 6000 presets that come with the rom
>they all sound clean and crispy as fuck

holy FUK I'm jizzing hard
>>
>>100213399
you didn't discover it, i posted it a while ago
>>
File: 3415631421.jpg (89 KB, 600x800)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>you didn't discover it, i posted it a while ago
>>
>>100213399
The Ti is too clean sounding, the other ones are gnarly though
>>
File: f8f8f8.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1000)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>100213495
I posted about it before you on a another forum. Sorry Buddy.
>>
>>100199540
my man :')
>>
>>100213495
God bless.
You got teh Waldorf roms too?
>>
bumb
>>
>>100214762
They are on the official website
https://waldorfmusic.com/legacy-micro-q-series/

Click "system" for the rom os which is in midi format, and "sounds" for patches
>>
B
>>
Aight let's see how today's kontakt libraries have evolved since I last checked ten years ago

>2tb $1000 strings
>performed by Beethoven's descendants, conducted by the Pope, every player's fart recorded with 360° diamond encrusted microphones into Rupert Neve's last personal handbuilt desk

>sounds like utter crap

Aight
>>
>>100219004
>sam hymas
...is this a real name?
>>
>tfwywn be johan rohr
I'm uninstalling everything
>>
>>100219742
The fuck's stopping you, all you need is a piano vst and an online name generator?
>>
>>100201302
I feel like it's pointless to ask, but do you have a lossless version?
>>
File: screen.png (14 KB, 712x131)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>100213243
What do you mean too much hassle?
You just click the toggle and crop the part you want to generate again.
See pic.
I've been using it to come up with good ideas and experiment with different beats and styles. The vocal quality from models has also gotten insane, it destroys suno.
They say they don't allow you to use existing artists but do it anyway and they'll replace it but it'll sound pretty similar, gen it a few times. It's completely free for now. It's made by some of the engineers that worked on deepmind at google.
It also works with different languages, tried it out in French, Swedish, Japanese and it sounds great. You can give it any lyrics.
It's free while it's in beta. I've just been doing shitloads of gens over the past week, will have stuff to use for a long time.
https://www.udio.com/songs/3S2x3pu4VpuuZVJQv4oGCP
https://www.udio.com/songs/qwSWL3uLhCpLGoheLMjLkp
https://www.udio.com/songs/gYtfMVg45tTAsxDULbWUZh
Once it generates it as something you want use the Manual Mode option and use the same prompt it gave you to extend.
>>
File: covers 240428.png (356 KB, 893x843)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
Album organizer here.
In about 12 hours I'll start the polls for the current album's cover and the next album's theme.

Pic related are the covers I have.

The following are the themes:
https://rbt.asia/g/post/99688271 - the gentle, "oops! all pads"-style background music is barely audible over the Hatsune Miku number station ASMR
https://rbt.asia/g/post/99707994 - Songs dedicated to our /dmp/ friends
https://rbt.asia/g/post/99733079 - Sus chords only
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100010717 - vidya music
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100013217 - pay homage to your favorite vidya era/console/game while being as close to authentic as reasonably possible
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100013217 - Pick a game/console and make a song in homage to it
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100033031 - Dubstep
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100034289 - Dumbstep, electronic caveman music
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100073083 - Automotive horns. You can only submit single-track midi files and the organizer has to render them with his monophonic car horn VST of choice

The current submissions:
https://rbt.asia/g/post/99839364 - Quadophonic jazz OR Anon's Island (whichever I like more) - TO FIX, SEE POST [a05o1k].wav
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100192217 - idk [brr2yu].wav
https://rbt.asia/g/post/100201302 - 16 Votes [11c6Dm044x1L].mp3

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

-----

I don't remember only having 3 submissions with 2 days left before the deadline. Like we've done in the past with similar (but not as bad) situations, I think we're going to have to push the deadline by some time.
We'll see on May 1st what the situation is like and decide accordingly.
>>
why there is not a mobile version of audacity? i never seen a simple multitrack audio thing for mobile except copycats of pc daws
>>
>>100220468
where do I send my submission? Any track length limit or other rules aside from raw waveforms that I need to be aware of. Prepare to be mogged hard
>>
>>100222463
Also, any mastering rules or plans? If not I could volunteer to run the whole album through analog gear, maybe reel tape would sweeten the raw VST sawtooths.
>>
>>100220468
I've promised myself you'd have mine by then
(it's written on paper, not in audio yet)
>>
File: 20240425_120641.jpg (2.62 MB, 4080x2296)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>Thursday
>have the day off, decide I wanna quickly set up my hardware and make some simple bedroom electronics jams
>cue 2 straight days of troubleshooting equipment, searching for audio drivers, fucking with Studi One settings, running cables, fixing/locating power supplies, and changing out batteries
>wasn't able to record a single second of usable audio
>get fed up
>go back to just making industrial with Freesounds samples in Audacity
Hardware makes me so fucking angry sometimes. I really should just stick with software.
Not pictured: two 303 clones and a Tascam 8-track I couldn't get to power on, and my Kawaii R-100 whose arrow keys are going bad
>>
File: OIG2..jpg (297 KB, 1024x1024)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>100222793
>(it's written on paper, not in audio yet)
>>
>>100223035
Any time I have to clean install windows I can be back to operating at like 80% capacity within like a few hours with load times wtf man
>>
>>100222463
i'm not album anon but just post like a catbox link and the track title
>>
>>100223649
so everyone can listen before the big release day, every submission is wildly different in volume, hatsune troons are even submitting mp3's, oh well.

is this really that difficult to organize?
>>
>>100223814
i mean you can choose to not click the links
i personally didn't listen to anyone's submissions last time i contributed to an album. if a post was labeled for submission i just let it be
>>
>>100223914

I guess, it's been a while since I did anything like this, but I do remember everybody waiting to find out what the submissions were like was a big part of the fun.
>>
>>100220357
Yes Album Anon Kun, I will submit before deadline.
I might make some small mixing and mastering changes in the meanwhile.
>>
>>100222463
Like this: https://rbt.asia/g/post/100192217

>>100222718
We don't do any of that, but in the past we've had two different versions of the album, so we could have an original one and an "analog edition" or something.
>>
>>100222793
>>100224741
Alright lol, whenever you're ready.

>>100223814
If it's important for you that the song remains a secret until the release we can arrange something.
I decided to make it all public due to certain problems with the previous organizer and how certain tracks supposedly went missing because he was the only one who received them and didn't download them before they expired (there's a possibility that he was trolling but we won't ever know).
Doing it transparently this way ensures that anyone can take my place if I fucked up, disappeared, or decided to "go rogue" lol
>>
>>100224985
>If it's important for you that the song remains a secret

Not really unless by unanimous decision. The reduced consequences of you dying or running off with our Wav's to Timbaland did cross my mind
>>
>>100225028
There are various options we could explore, like using email or encrypted archives, but I can barely get people to upload wavs instead of posting vocaroos, and a lot of people seem to just post the song and disappear, so anything other than the simplest procedure (posting a link here) is bound to result in problems.
>>
chris' new demo track rips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXNQrvMJ3vo

(pear 2 with nonlinearity/pole controls for filter dirt a la capacitor2)
>>
Album theme idea: MTV - anything goes but you have to make a video or animation for your song
>>
>>100219004
meanwhile people are making full string sections using east west sample cds from the 90s that btfos modern $1000 libraries
>>
>>100225731
>0 submissions
>>
>>100225731
how to tank submissions from 4-5 to maybe 1 (if you're lucky)
>>
>>100226032
I do quick ai vids for all mine. They're shit , but it's something to watch and better at looking at a black screen
https://youtu.be/jJIwoKS-ciM?
>>
>>100226309
And how many people here make both music and videos like you do?
>>
>>100226545
I don't know. I don't really care. It wasn't my idea for the video theme. I just replied. What's stopping you from downloading stable diffusion and running a load of frames though it?
>>
>>100226709
>What's stopping you from downloading stable diffusion and running a load of frames though it?

On the list of things I would enjoy, it's slightly below having an eyewash with sulphuric acid

Proompters are the troons of the creative world
>>
>>100226709
>What's stopping you from downloading stable diffusion and running a load of frames though it?
>lack of time
>shitty hardware
>lack of desire to do it or interest in visual arts
It's not like these albums are compulsory. If people don't like the theme they're just not going to submit anything.
>>
>>100226709
if i wanted to make a video i would pirate and learn premiere pro like everyone else from before 2 years ago
which i have done, but i don't really like making music videos
>>
>>100226902
You can just say you can't run SD on your PC you know. You don't have to sperg out over an optional bit of software and convince anyone.
>>
was messing around in proteus 2000 and found the preset used in the opening two notes of gunz the duel, lol. nostalgic for anyone who played that back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2MtBSOr9nM

https://vocaroo.com/1cGP8apFVsCt
>>
>>100227644
just sounds like two natural harmonics on guitar desu
>>
>>100227644
I didn't come here to feel this nostalgia
>>
File: setup.jpg (331 KB, 1268x953)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
Rate my setup.
>>
>>100227872
whats the midi cc mapping for the cat
>>
>>100227872
fellow studiologic user detected
also is that setup adjacent to your dining room
>>
>>100227644
This and wolf team when I was home sick from school were my favorite games.
>>
things i am learning trying to make a song for the album: although i am not making it now, i *definitely* would not have made it pre-1990
>>
>>100226545
I was the one who submitted the MTV idea.
People could be told that finding a gif or webm is acceptable.
Or submit nothing and a default animation that is voted on as the album cover (works a still image cover but is animated on platforms where it can be)
I think you would get more album submissions for anything goes vs what is going on this time around.
>>
>>100228865
no, themes are better
>>
>>100228865
i think this one in particular is rough
the rest of the themes were way more open ended as opposed to this one. even if the theme wasn't in your wheelhouse you could probably cook something up
this one is basically a toolset limitation and it's really hard to get around that after getting used to the modern suite of conveniences imho
>>
File: averagepresetuser.jpg (218 KB, 1280x997)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>100228960
Agree, the rules made it off putting for the average punter.
I think Album Anon Kun should have just vetoed it to 'chiptune' and called it a day.
>>
>>100220468
I felt bad so I spent 20 minutes mashing some notes together to check if I'm coloring inside the lines
The kick is the part I'm least sure about
It's just a sine wave with a pitch envelope but I can replace it if you want
https://voca.ro/12Tdjki7Clwv
>>
>>100229213
Lol I really can't do that.

>>100229287
Yep, you're good.
As long as it's not something too crazy, I wouldn't worry too much about kicks. I think most of the common types are automatically kosher.
You can use a bit of distortion and compression too if you want.
>>
>>100229213
>tfw the planet earth theme didn't win ;_;
>>
>>100229658
You can suggest it again
>>
>>100229658
tell me about it, I literally had the beginnings of a track cooked up using only planet earth presets
>>100229714
as much as I'd be fine with it probably would fit into the 'bad for submissions' category
>>
actually speaking of themes, i've been thinking for a fat minute and i think it's fine to condense my ideas of "vidya era homage (+ authenticity for the second one)" under the umbrella of just "vidya music" for a theme since that'll probably happen regardless if the theme is vidya
not that i can verify my identity, but album-san if u see this feel free to strike the other two (or not? since people can just not vote for them lmao)
>>
and you try try again

https://vocaroo.com/1o8HmrdJPSnz
>>
>>100228960
>i think this one in particular is rough
the rest of the themes were way more open ended as opposed to this one. even if the theme wasn't in your wheelhouse you could probably cook something up
this one is basically a toolset limitation and it's really hard to get around that after getting used to the modern suite of conveniences imho

No, you are just retarded and don't know how to work with basic waveforms, it doesn't have to do anything with chip tune.

This is an excellent theme that lets you do cool stuff quickly, I'm having a blast
>>
>>100229658
there was a e-mu planet earth theme that was rejected? I would kill for that, but I guess people don't know how to use a sampler unless it's a Kontakt preset
>>
>>100230997
>unless it's a Kontakt preset
why are you saying this like kontakt isn't a bitch to use lol

Is kontakt even all that popular now around these parts really? I feel like I only ever see orchestra/soundtrack people talk about it now.
Anybody who's doing rock can get drums just fine without it.
>>
>>100227872

It's two digital pianos in your parents house/10
>>
>>100231100
>why are you saying this like kontakt isn't a bitch to use lol

Yeah I suppose, what I meant was, give people a folder of an old school sampler or sample cd and they're not going to know what to do with it, even if it's as simple as dragging the multis into an instrument rack/sampler. Planet earth has these auto playing rhythm parts that would need an arpeggiator and a drum rack

You'd probably need to have someone prepare the package for everyone
>>
>>100229786
We already have a "vidya music" suggestion. What you're asking is essentially to just remove the two that you posted.
Are you really sure?
>>
>Amigo Sampler

kino, literally all you need + it runs on tr00nix as well
>>
>>100232065
it's not free though
>>
>reading lil ugly mane interview
>comment on how all of the drums on the latest release are breakbeats on a loop
>listen to the album again
>I never noticed but the drums just loop or occasionally drop on the 3rd or 7th bar with maybe a roll at the end
>listen to MF DOOM special herbs for sampling ideas
>most if not all of the drums are just on loop
I'm done overthinking drums. I'm just going to use breaks. I thought the best way to learn drums would be one shots and finger drumming them in but it's much easier to fill 16 sample slots with 16 different breaks than just 4 different kits. Although all hip hop drum breaks sound like Kick, Snare, KickSnare, hat or kick kick, snare, kick, snare
>>
>>100232065
I bought this, doesn't get discovered as a VSTi
>>
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A7RbEfW4Rkg
>>
Bwomp
>>
>>100231100
kontakt is simple to use, this is a technology board
>>
File: 93937.jpg (326 KB, 800x668)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
Looking for the cheapest (used) USB interface with XLR ins and balanced outs. I'm using Debian with REAPER on my old T430 laptop.
>>
>>100234921
Kontakt has a GUI made for ants.
>>
>>100235346
use a 1366x768 display
>>
>>100232375
based taste

breaks can help teach you a lot when it comes to groove through timing and ghost notes etc, but obviously it's just that one style, and MF/KUM's genres are more welcoming of drums that are legitimately just straight loops (and actually sound like it). Kinda old school.
You can go faaaaar just using breaks but layering one shots will really help spice it up down the line.
One of the things I eventually picked up on making EDM and wonkier hip hop with one shots eventually was like... automating fades and start times to make the drums *sound* like they're from a break with that variation, even when they're not.
It's like... extremely important, idk why I've never seen anybody talk about it honestly.
>>
>>100231907
yeah it's fine, vidya is vidya and i feel like paying homage to what you like would probably be a naturally emergent property of making vidya themed music. i mean unless somebody just throws in a track they're making for a game lol, but i like the idea that it's more free
>>
>>100232103
t's like 10 bong pounds
>>
File: WetFootswitch.jpg (33 KB, 680x505)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>100170188
Let me guess...you need more
>>
>>100237903
i thought i was such a fucking genious just playing the feedback plugging and unplugging cables and twisting knobs lmao.

just qunantize the dd6 feedback for drums.
the little bloop that the small clone makes when you unplug it is the snare.
>>
File: 7831321.jpg (107 KB, 3070x405)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>100237903
Let me guess...you need more
>>
File: whitelabel.jpg (27 KB, 1000x750)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>100239897
>>100239985
>tfw you'll never make something as good as this
>>
File: wide lttroon.jpg (263 KB, 2048x1152)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
my album submission
title: tired of this shit (why am i working on this again?)
https://voca.ro/17HFw5QLkeQx

may be slightly too hi-fi for this theme, idk really. underneath its all my waldorf blofeld playing some random sounds i have designed in literal seconds, but i did add a shit ton of fx and modulation afterwards to make it somewhat bearable, which kills the vibe in a way. maybe i should just stop thinking about it since its just a stupid song about burnout that i wrote as a break from working on a single fucking album for the past year

gonna go back to my cave now, have fun /dmp/ bros
>>
>>100240628
https://vocaroo.com/158BEqAZwMoD
quick mixing fix, made the vocals quieter
>>
>>100240895
bro ur .wav???
>>
Is it a bad idea to fill up every sound slot on a project bank? Whenever I see tutorials everyone always has a few open slots on their 404. I'm guessing that's because they made loops and leave room for them on the pad. But my thought was the pattern sequencer was for that kind of thing. I wanted to have Many options to create so I figured filling every bank would be a good idea. 99% sure I'm overthinking it but just thought I'd ask.

>>100237384
>One of the things I eventually picked up on making EDM and wonkier hip hop with one shots eventually was like... automating fades and start times to make the drums *sound* like they're from a break with that variation, even when they're not.
>It's like... extremely important, idk why I've never seen anybody talk about it honestly.
Can you only do that with one shots or can I do it with breaks?
>>
May I ask a total newfag question?
>>
>>100242066
Yes but I'm not going to answer it.
>>
https://dontasktoask.com/
>>
File: Untitled.png (475 KB, 2560x1600)
475 KB
475 KB PNG
>>100241946
>Can you only do that with one shots or can I do it with breaks?
Yes you can, there's just less point.
If you do breakcore or dnb it would be typical to automate volume and sample length for rolls and glitches and all that.

Pic rel is just an obvious example with a single one shot of a shaker.
It's not always necessary of course but if you want it to sound "natural" and don't have a full recording of somebody playing it... well there you go
>>
How can I possibly get a realistic sounding bass on REAPER, Linux? There's no instrument plugins, and Dexed can only do so much. Do I just have to get a bass sample pack, chop it, and put it on the MIDI roll? Is that the only solution?
>>
File: WCZd1.png (7 KB, 605x157)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>100242066
>>
>>100242263
electric bass, upright bass? or a synth?

i play electric and di in. i've heard some vsts that sound decent but they're also very unnatural if you don't know how to play the instrument. i've never gotten a convincing sound out of sampling things i didn't record so i don't think you'll have luck patching together bass samples
>>
>>100242263
What else are you having trouble with?
I want to screenshot this and post it every time somebody asks about producing with linux lmao
>>
>>100242263
yeah, you'll have to dig for bass samples
>>
>>100242298
Either of the first two, synth is the one I don't have a problem with. I guess that's it, then
>>
>>100242328
there's a gig of samples from airwindows of him recording his rickenbacker. you can try patching that together but it's easier to get a cheap bass and interface to record into yourself. cheap basses have been pretty good for a while, can't really go wrong with yamaha, ibanez, squier, cort
>>
>>100242354
Thanks. I'm only starting to familiarise myself with DAW, so I guess trying to patch it together won't do any harm.
>>
>>100230958
>"people probably find it difficult to work without tools doing a lot of heavy lifting"
>"yeah well you're just stupid because you can't work with a limited toolset"
please show us on the doll where the post touched you, then please explain why it was apparently your ass
like i might be shit at composing, but i never said i wasn't? you literally got angry because i critiqued this theme for being... at least a little bit more difficult than the other themes? come on, dude
>>
>>100170188
should I leave a bar of silence before my track submission, will they be clipped?
>>
>>100243187
>will they be clipped?
No
>>
I actually came up with a first draft for the album like a couple days after the theme was decided and just never revisited it because I thought it was kind of shitty or something idr but now I feel guilty
>//<
>>
>>100243040

The "you" in my reply is collective, it's a gripe on y'all always wanting better snares and sounds & shit but can't work basic synthesis. Well here's a chance to make some kickass snares with basic FM and noise waves, one of the absolute best ways to make clean drum sounds, but the interest for the comp is low because people can't bring their serum presets or some bullshit.
>>
File: OIG4.EB5LyRra2C.jpg (270 KB, 1024x1024)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
Out of time to work on this any more before the deadline so here goes.

Title: DabWaves

https://vocaroo.com/1h41E9eQy1SL
https://files.catbox.moe/nux3ja.wav
>>
>>100171924
>he spent the rest of his life reinventing the wheel
idk MIDI is pretty neat imo
>>
not gonna finish in time, need an extension bwos

>>100247249
nice
>>
Album submission
Title: "Tomato Soup"
https://voca.ro/1ejLLW3ScjQr
https://files.catbox.moe/8pzzj6.wav
My first track in Furnace. Actually a really nice tracker, I think I'll use it more often.
>>
Album theme idea:
songs about the work penismank
>>
>>100249816
did you mean to say word?
>>
Album Theme Suggestion - 5khz Plus
All tracks can have no frequencies below 5khz
>>
>>100249937
yes
>>
Ahh fuck, didn't notice this trainwreck discussion

Brb removing all my operators
>>
>>100249729
Superb!
>>
>>100250000
Check'd and kek'd
>>
File: 1674304637610687.gif (359 KB, 410x448)
359 KB
359 KB GIF
>>100247249
slaps
>>100249729
would play megaman to this
>>
album theme, 10 second songs, all song must be 10 second
>>
>>100250303
"What is this? A song for ants?"
>>
Album theme: Songs about shitty album themes
>>
>>100248628
same
>>
Album theme (not a shitpost this time):
All songs must be remixes using material from previous /dmp/ albums.
>>
Album theme (not a shitpost this time):
songs about shitposting
>>
Does any of your music make, you know... money?
>>
File: 1652561566648.jpg (46 KB, 370x272)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>100250758
>Does any of your music make, you know... money?
It makes money for people selling guitar pedals
>>
>>100250758
i'm too new to be deemed a failure yet, i haven't even installed a DAW. the music industry is tough to get into if you don't have some trick like being an amazing singer or are friends with the right people. my trick is i have figured out the audiophile side of things so i can hear very obviously if the song i'm listening to is a high quality production or not as well as having technical knowledge on signal processing etc. being able to listen is a crucial element of mixing and mastering and you need good monitors for it. hopefully i'll be able to replicate even a small fraction if a high tier production so that i can make even a modest amount of money from it. but broadly speaking most people here are just hobbyists or even casuals who are hopping on a bit of a fad, there are many music production and music theory related videos that are popular on youtube these days and there are dumbasses who think they can rely on AI alone now with suno, udio and such. some anons are from /agdg/ which was mostly a disaster and even some people you thought were trustworthy like the handmade hero guy turned out to be mentally ill deadbeats.
>>
File: hello sirs.webm (58 KB, 720x720)
58 KB
58 KB WEBM
>>100250698
I like this
>load file from previous track
>change sounds
>pretend I'm someone else
profit
>>
>>100251564
is that a bad thing?
even if anons remix their own work, at least there'd be a full album this time.
>>
>>100250758
Not in the present tense but a few ambient releases got lucky on bandcamp. It's easier to focus on mood music than compete with everyone in a crowded market, especially when kids don't even know music used to cost money. Production jingles are viable but it's grueling work to churn out the necessary volumes, I already got a dayjob
>>
>>100248628
Same (I promised myself damnit)
>>
Album submission
honestly this is kinda shite and short as hell so feel free to not include it or use it as a bait and switch for the better tracks or something

Title: omg guys isn't this just like super mayrio on the nes or as i like to call it the famicom haha so retro

https://voca.ro/1nKSe0YFhWWO
https://files.catbox.moe/sgk9vd.wav
>>
album theme suggestion: the 2nd place theme but you have to add a 15.75kHz sine tone over the entirety of your track
>>
>>100229515
>Yep, you're good.
All right, cool
Unfortunately I'm busy today and I don't think I can call it any kind of finished in the next 8 hours
>>
https://voca.ro/1gWNnTL7UsWb
this producing stuff is hard. i guess i'm seeing progress but there's so much mystery in getting a polished sound and it's frustrating. for this track I used a recording of my girlfriend for all the vocal samples and at least I learned something from that
https://vocaroo.com/1mffma4Oe5cg
this is me trying to put more focus on the overall mix and the quality of the sounds but it's A.) kind of boring and B.) not as "pretty" or professional sounding as I was aiming for. I'm two years into this stuff and I'm still pretty braindead.
>>
>>100255629

It's really good for 2 years in. I'm pretty sure this fits into the PC music crowd somewhere. Producing is a balancing act and it takes time to develop an ear for all the nuances

Your bass freqs are messy and wide, try to keep sub 100hz mono and you don't need to make it so overpowering, people either have subwoofers or don't. As you probably can tell your drums are getting totally overpowered. Don't cram as much loud shit in as you can, maintain a bit of focus, try to be a bit more reserved with your panning until you're more sure of what you're doing

First one isn't quite in harmony but maybe that's part of some aesthetic... shit I feel old
>>
>>100255898
duly noted, I guess I'm pounding the sub pretty hard because I live in a basshead town and I'm trying to play some of this stuff live at open deck nights. But that's probably all the more reason to back off the sub somewhat. I really need to look more at reference tracks. The sub group does force it to go mono, but maybe some of my mid basses are too wide, I've always struggled with "mono compatibility", but I'll try to keep that in mind. Usually I cut the sub out of the mid bass but mainly with a low shelf to leave a touch in there, looks like I'll have to get more surgical about it.
Part of the reason the harmony is fucked in the first one is maybe because the vocals are running through a convolution with a short maj7 (I think Gmaj7) chord on a pad synth which is then processed a bit. The convolution gives it a really cool sound and a different "inflection" on each note even though it's all the same sample, but it made it an absolute whore to get everything else in harmony. Those laser burst noises I eventually gave up and just tried to match the fundamental by eye with a spectrograph or whatever the proper term is (not a spectral). Then I think I didn't like that so I tuned it a second time by ear and eventually just settled for close enough, but they're definitely not quite right.
Thanks a lot anon! I really appreciate the feedback. Trying to find a style that I enjoy but won't completely alienate the local dubstep crowd.
>>
>>100255898
also I realized I skipped the
>Don't cram as much loud shit as you can, maintain a bit of focus, try to he more reserved with your panning until you're more sure of what you're doing
this is probably what I need the most work on. My first few tracks had more subtle noises and background stuff with really simple basslines and drumbeats, and I need to return to subtlety because I lost it somewhere. I think that second track I linked is an opportunity for me to explore more subtlety and pay closer attention to the details. The first one I just had this really catchy lick for the first time ever (maybe not that catchy) and a few cool new patches I just made and I got a little overeager. But at the same time, it at least has a "main idea", and I will probably end up revisiting it at some point and releasing it a second time with some more focus, and extend the outro into a longer rave mix without that soddy reese mucking it up. anyway thanks again, cheers
>>
>>100255629
You're 2 years in and you'd destroy my "6-years-in" past self. I'd actually be jealous if I was trying to make it as more than a hobbyist or whatever at this point in my life. Good shit; don't get demoralized. Keep growing, stay creative, and have fun.
>>
Is it important to use monitors rather than regular speakers for music prod? Is having a flat sound important?
>>
AI to make me acapellas from three sixxx mafia songs that don't exist to sample :[
>>
Organizer here.
It's clear that a deadline extension is in order, both for the sake of the album, which now has too few tracks, and for the sake of the Anons who didn't finish theirs (this includes me, so I know it's true for at least one person).
I'll do the usual 1 month, so that the aforementioned Anons have time to deliver, and maybe someone else joins us with a new one.

New deadline: Midnight between May 31th and June 1st (UTC)
>>
New thread:
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>
new
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>100258118
>>
>>100258120
>>100258131
>>
>>100258120
>>100258131
>>100258139
illegal thread made before the bump limit
>>
>>100258184
I'm sorry. I'm going to bed soon and wanted to update the deadline in the OP.
>>
>>100254308
>kinda shite
not at all, it's like a based interlude!
>>
>>100258757
ty fren

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.