[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: UNDER THREAT.png (465 KB, 636x382)
465 KB
465 KB PNG
RTO edition

>Interviewing
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
they're all grifters but here are some
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@tciproductions
https://www.youtube.com/@ZackFreedman
https://www.youtube.com/@BeepBeepNurseryRhymes
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)

Previous sprint >>100122689
>>
>>100133460
I will NEVER RTO. Get fucked.
>>
>>100133460
Only worthless employees will be filtered by RTO. If you're truly a good asset to the company, you're the one that'll they won't dare to fuck around with shitty RTO mandates.
>>
File: 1712329584576625.jpg (873 KB, 1125x1063)
873 KB
873 KB JPG
>>100133460
RTM
>>
File: ahjeezdude.jpg (7 KB, 300x168)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>be me
>be the only competent developer on staff
>yearly performance evaluations are coming up
>boss starts hinting that I might be management material
>fuck that
>activate plan
>start coming into work 15 - 30 mins late every day
>change nothing else
>at the next performance evaluation I get "passed up" for a promotion
>still get a fat performance raise
>don't have to do tard wrangling or management meetings
>rinse and repeat the next year
>>
>>100133505
Only worthless companies bother with rto
They will all go out of business because the talent leaves for companies gladly offering wfh
>>
File: 1713486210156517.jpg (106 KB, 1179x1160)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Pajeet #1: Principal Linux Systems Administrator
Pajeet #2: Senior Software Engineer
>still can't grasp the difference between file content and a filename extension
What makes pajeets sink to this level of subhumanhood?
>>
File: uglyasscat.png (42 KB, 182x158)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>100133752
>still can't grasp the difference between file content and a filename extension
No fucking way. You must be joking here.
>>
>>100133622
your reddit brain can only think of the children/video games """dichotomy""?
plenty of retired people whose hobbies are golf, aviation, carpentry, running businesses, volunteering, mechanics, music, literature, open source development, academic research, farming, and your reddit self thought of fucking basedgames of all things?
>>
>>100133752
how the fuck is top right even possible
>>
>>100133834
the faggots always tell on themselves lmao
>>
>>100133752
>>100133774
Not him but I've encountered the same. Jeets that are apparently 'senior' or 'principal' level, but lack basic knowledge that I'd expect a college freshman to know. The worst example was a guy who apparently had 5 yoe developing Linux software. I was helping him with some basic on boarding tasks in his first few days. Stuff like clone the repo, setup yoir environment and get everything building.

I show him the wiki page at like 10am, it's got pretty simple instructions, including how to log in to the Linux vm that we use, and let him at it. Check back in on him after lunch, he's wondering why everything doesn't work. He's opened windows command prompt and is blindly copying in the Linux commands from the wiki, ignoring the command not found errors and moving in to the next one.

Thankfully he was let go after a few weeks.

How do they even get jobs with this lack of knowledge?
>>
>>100133834
So do you play video games?
>>
>>100133900
Nepotism, lying and agreeing to work for a lot less than any one with their actual credentials would agree to.
>>
File: file.png (674 KB, 900x600)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
>>100133834
> Aviation
is so fucking expensive, why i like expensive shit ffs, i hate bikes. whatever i'll get my small plane whatever it takes. Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>100133774
It happened. During different circumstances too.

The SWE was reviewing some configs I deployed on a Tomcat instance in which I had to define an output file for a heap dump, I set it to example.bin and he flipped his shit saying it wasn't going to work because it wasn't named example.hprof

Today I ran into this sysadmin who was asking me to provide one SSL certificate in the "CRT format", the file had a .pem extension but the certificate itself followed the regular encoding that is always used within the org.

It's over.
>>
>>100133905
no
>>
>>100133460
No one can threaten my career progression because I don't have one
>>
>>100133921
>Aviation is so fucking expensive
that's why so many boomers love it anon
>>
>>100133226
>Muh heckin hobbyrinos
Pure r*ddit cringe lads
>>
>>100133937
What are your hobbies? Besides posting on 4chan, of course.
>>
Hobbies are pure cope for losers hence why only retirees and losers have them
>>
>>100133959
a hobby is anything you spend your free time on, retard, but if you think it HAS to be redditsoy shit, that speaks more about yourself than anyone else

>>100133960
>>100133996
4cheddit posters thinking they are hot shit
>>
>>100133460
>>100133473
>>100133505
>>100133686
The only ones arguing for RTO are the completely useless bastards who have fake jobs.
If your only function is being a pair of buttcheeks to fill an office chair and pretend to be busy, then RTO is your rallying call.
Managers, brownnosers, landlords, and receptionists could all be replaced with cardboard cutouts.
>>
is anyone actually hiring right now?
>>
>>100134061
>dodged the question
accepted. My only advice now is for you to prepare early, like going to a south east Asian country on a yearly basis to get used to it so you can start searching for a wife, that way it'll be less difficult to find one when you're older.
>>
>>100134061
Absolute cope, hobbies are for fags with no friends that have nothing better to do
I spend all my free time going to the gym, hanging out with my gf, going out to eat, and drinking with my bros none of those are hobbies I don't have any time for hobbies because I actually have a life
But please let me hear your major cope about how you are superior for some hyper specific autistic hobby
>>
>>100133900
The three Indians I worked with and who got laid off never updated their employment status on linkedin, despite posting there regularly.
I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe all three of them just didn't think to update their LinkedIn profiles.
After over a year, one managed to secure another job. He immediately updated the end date of his employment with his previous company to the current month so that it looked like he was just switching jobs after nearly 2 years of employment, rather than that he was laid off from his first job after only 6 months and then spent a year unemployed.
Don't companies do background checks for this? My understanding was that this wasn't common because of the very high likelihood of getting caught. I was very surprised that 3/3 of them were doing it.
>>
Having my first phone screen ever as a lateral hire (last time I interviewed was 4 years ago for an internship where the company then offered me a full time role). What should I expect?
>>
about to absolutely get chewed out tomorrow by some dude I was supposed to make a webapp for in another department
I forgot about it until a week ago and threw together some barely working prototype that has like 25% of what he asked for
>>
>>100134125
Yes. 3 interviews this week
>>
>>100134125
yeah but indians/ukrainians/argentinians only
>>
>>100134219
>>100134225
where's the best place to look for these roles sirs
>>
Have any of you left work early because you felt the room spinning before? I feel like shit and like I am about to pass out but I think I actually feel even worse for leaving early for what is probably just a headache.
>>
>>100134125
We're only hiring from Mexico. Good time to be an english-speaking Mexican software dev desu.
>>
>>100134132
ok

>>100134160
>going to the gym, hanging out with my gf, going out to eat, and drinking with my bros
so do i, and why wouldn't you be able to do the same after you retire? do you become unable to go outside and lift weights after you lose a job? because that's what the original post was about, i am not saying having a life is bad. the other anon said once you retire kids are literally your only activity in life

>none of those are hobbies
well what the fuck do you call those then mr pedantic semantics
and why is it that you are not able to pursue those after retiring?
>>
>>100134257
Suppose you are interviewing 10 of of them how many Mexicans are actually fluent in English? As per my understanding it's really hard to find them
>>
>>100134252
Go see a doctor.
>>
>>100134252
Feel free to go back to work I guess, I’ll never understand people like you.
>>
>be me
>get paid 30k/yr in my 3rd world shithole
>manage to save 100k
>see big ass house in 7k sq.ft. lot
>listing price is 150k
>offer 120k
>owner asks for 130k
>scared as FUCK of having a mortgage and being fired
wat do... this is my opportunity but I hate risk. I'm not sure I'd even be able to manage the stress... :'(
>>
>>100134168
You can blame that on companies being biased against unemployed people.
>>
>>100134310
Which part the going home because I feel sick or feeling bad about not working despite feeling sick?
>>
>>100134337
nta but obviously this
>feeling bad about not working despite feeling sick
>>
File: 1699384107533.jpg (60 KB, 768x651)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
I have two remote jobs at the same time. I live in bumfuck eastern Europe and make 120k USD/year.
Skill issue.
>>
>>100134234
What role are you looking for?
>>
>>100134319
What would you even need a mortage for? Can't you cover that remaining 20k in 2 years?
>>
>>100134337
Like the other anon said, it’s the part about feeling about not working. Your health is so much more important, it’s a priority.
>>
>>100134319
do you come from a poor background? sounds like you have aversion to those commitments because you might've had an unstable situation in the past

I've heard you can form those sorts of reactions when you've had highly stressful financial conditions, like putting yourself at risk of an accident by not purchasing new tires until they pop, that kind of irrational stuff.
>>
>>100133900
>How do they even get jobs with this lack of knowledge?

It's the same way other incompetent people get jobs. Companies may have technical screenings but they don't always based their hiring decisions on the results of the screenings. The decisions can be entirely subjective. If you ever wonder why you didn't get hired despite passing everything, this might be the reason.
>>
>>100134412
Nta, but risking financial ruin isn't the same as risking physical safety. Good money management should be practiced regardless of your wealth. If you don't care about taking risks, it's likely due to you have a fallback in case everything goes south (i.e., your parents).
>>
>interviews puts problem on screen
>Leetcode PTSD hits
>stare at code for 5 minutes before saying anything
>>
>>100134252
I had panic attacks at my first job, I'd just go sit in my car for a few minutes until the spinning and tension went away.
>>
>have to constantly remind my parents that working from home does not mean i am free to drive them around or hang out with them
>becoming clear that i am becoming the least favorite of the children
>>
>>100134319
Dont tell anyone at your work or they can use it as leverage since they know you are desperate to keep the job
>>
>>100134409
the difference is 30k, and yeah, I can get that in less than 2 years. my 33k wage is after taxes, and I don't spend much

>What would you even need a mortage for?
it'd be convenient for me since the bank manages most of the legal stuff in order to make sure the house is OK, plus interest rates for mortages are lower than other type of credit.

>>100134412
>do you come from a poor background?
yeah, I do

>you might've had an unstable situation in the past
my whole life has been shit. I can't even trust my own MOM because she tried to steal from me WHEN I WAS HELPING HER BUY HER OWN HOUSE.
ever since I was a kid I've had to deal with stress and insecurity because of the retarded people around me don't ever think twice about the consequences of their actions. can even imagine situations in which I'd get completely fucked, like some faggot druggie burning the house down...

>>100134470
>it's likely due to you have a fallback in case everything goes south (i.e., your parents).
exactly

>>100134521
right, thanks for the advice, I'm not telling anyone. hell, I'll even try to avoid telling my own friends... poor people are envious as hell.
>>
>>100134400
Anything
>>
>feel a swollen node in my body
>hurts when i walk
>"haha nah it’s probably nothing, i can’t take time off to see a doctor right now"
>ends up almost dying
>1 month away from work
I won’t get into details but remember that your health is everything. Also HR kept calling me all the time during this month off, I was in bed every single day and only stood up to go to the bathroom, and they kept calling me to ask how I was doing, constantly… God damn.
>>
File: workwork.png (143 KB, 1220x504)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
i wish mr reddit would stop talking about hobbies in my WORK general
like fuck off dude, we're doin shit in here
>>
>>100134546
>HR kept calling me all the time during this month off, I was in bed every single day and only stood up to go to the bathroom, and they kept calling me to ask how I was doing, constantly…
good thing that that shit is illegal in my country.

>>100134559
kek
>>
>>100134541
Dude if you're that desperate go to indeed.com and pick something near you, unless you live in middle of nowhere there has to be a job. When I walk to my local grocery store I see like 3 or 4 restaurants and other shops that are hiring.
>>
>>100134576
>local grocery store
>restaurants
Technology?
>>
>>100133834
All of these are wine aunt tier cope.
>>
>>100134546
I got injured while on a work trip and had the same shit. I assume it's them trying to make it look like they care so you don't try and sue them or something
>>
Good wage (gross yearly) for a QA in EU?
>>
>>100134590
You said "anything"
>>
>>100134546
i've had swollen lymph nodes several different times and each time it's been nothing
>>
>>100134546
was it lymphoma? what type and stage? are you doing chemo rn? how is the treatment going?
I wish you the best, anon
>>
>>100134470
yeah, I agree that you should practice good money management no matter the circumstances, however, that's reliant on the assumption that you are making rational choices to begin with, I've met people that had very good income during some years (to the point where they don't have to care much about money management), but something went wrong for them and downgraded their situation.

After that event they've become financially irrational (e.g. spending is inherently bad), and they end up doing stuff like not fixing the car / house / etc even though it costs more in the long run not to.
>>
>>100134537
I feel ya bud, sorry to hear that about your mom and your family, I have the exact same situation, the difference is I only have about 50% of the money for the house. I'm working on saving more and getting certs so I'm not stressed out if I lose my current job, it also helps to run some numbers and review how much you're spending on rent vs buying, long term wise. If you want to reduce risk then your only friend is information, that's how you fight back that instinct caused by your experiences. Also see >>100134642
>>
Other team did something kinda retarded and I wonder if I should tell my boss or not.
They gave access to someone who shouldn't have access to this application but I've temporarily disabled the account before they've noticed so I don't think it's a huge issue.

I don't want to be the company snitch and I'm new enough where if they go "why didn't you say anything", I can be like "oh I didn't know. I tried to resolve it to the best of my ability"
>>
>>100134412
>like putting yourself at risk of an accident by not purchasing new tires until they pop
lol i did this. not poor have like a million dollars just stupid/lazy
>>
Have you completed your timesheet for the month yet?
>>
>>100133643
Based
>>
>>100133774
>>100133752
Fucking PC users.
>>
>>100134809
I'm not saying you'd do that because you're poor or something, if you had shitty upbringing or nearly went broke and then you recover, you may view avoiding spending (even on necessary things) as a good thing, which ironically puts you in a higher state of risk.
>>
File: 1713560560198334.webm (3.23 MB, 360x530)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB WEBM
>>100134546
4 vaccines or only 3?
>>
how do I get 2nd line support roles in the UK? I've got a few certifications already and ready to move on from this company.
>>
>>100134928
this webm makes me very uncomfortable
>>
>>100134546
2 of my ~30-year-old coworkers had tumors/cancer in the past 3 years. one goes to chemo for it the other it was beenine and he got it surgically removed.
>>
>>100134940
Also I'm thinking of just quitting my IT support role to just focus more on cerifications.
I'm done with the job
>>
How do you lads deal with middle management brainlets taking credit for your groundbreaking solo dev work?
>>
File: frijol.jpg (47 KB, 541x567)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>100134257
What company?
Native english speaking frijol güero here
>Better not be webdev
>>
tfw failing manager interviews because forever a sperg. Doomed to work the code pits I guess. Just gonna do the least amount possible since it seems advancement beyond senior is not worth it for the technical track and not possible for the manager track.
>>
>>100134319
No better incentive to work than debt amiright?
>>
>>100134913
I kinda had this happen and got a panic attack because I told someone how much I spent on a "fancy" bike, wasn't even that much.
>>
>>100134168
He probably updated his profile after background checks came clean.
>>
>>100134507
Same struggle, but with wife. She just doesn't want to accept that I'm not available to chat about some bullshit or be interrupted whenever.
>>
File: Nupepe.png (187 KB, 800x778)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
No I will not be attending the work social you are all a bunch of assholes and I will not be wasting my free time around you
>>
File: recruiters.png (786 KB, 853x675)
786 KB
786 KB PNG
>>100134168
Companies only want employees who are working, just like women only want men experienced with women.
If you're a loner then there must be something wrong with you. Sorry! HAHAHAHA
>>
>>100133460
>>100135323

>Gave up on looking for a job
>NEETing around
>Get approached by recruiter
>Took 5 days to respond
>Crickets
>Recruiter never saw my response, reaches out again
>Actually have interview scheduled for next week

I'm fine with continuing to NEET but making 140K would be nice as opposed to whatever little I make rn
>>
>>100134806
If your boss trusts you, then you should tell him.
>>
>>100133460
Workplace does 4 rounds of lay-offs due to almost going broke.
> get laid off.

I live in albos pajeet Australia. Every tech job has a minimum hundred applicants.
Albo authorised bringing in a few thousand more...

It's pain bros.
>>
>>100134537
Land ownership has been the best way to secure and store wealth for millennia, and it sounds like you've worked your ass off and you deserve something for it, so get yourself that house.
If you're worried about future financial instability, you may want to consider adjusting numbers for the mortgage so you aren't spending all of your savings at once. You would have the ability to finance a greater portion of the sale price at the cost of a greater monthly payment for the mortgage, but it would leave room for any repairs that come along. Obviously the best case scenario is getting the mortgage paid off very early and you have no debt burden but you don't want to be what Americans would call "house poor." If you can find the sweet spot where you finance enough to have a sizable chunk of savings but little enough that your payment could be affordable if you had to take a shittier job, you're golden.
>>
will real ai ever be tried? i need it to take my job asap so i can get on disability
>>
>>100134793
yeah, I've been mostly fine until this point. the house really is an opportunity because I can rent like 3/4ths of it through airbnb or some shit, but even that would not be a lot of money.
what I want (and hope) is the peace that will come with finally having my own house. but only the thought of having a mortgage on it makes me nervous.

>>100135029
I mean, sure, but otoh, shit might get really stressful. and my job isn't really on my hands. I do whatever my employer asks me, but I haven'd done much ever since I joined this company...

>>100135459
yeah, the thing is whether I will be able to pay it. sure, I get paid enough to pay it in like a year, but what if I get fired?
I'm planning on getting a long term mortgage and paying as soon as possible, but I'm scared of this shit...
>>
>>100133460
Got laid off by the soulless drones I worked for for 6 years on thursday in the most pathetic, underhanded way imaginable:
>some dumb mf VP I never interact with sets up 15 minute meeting with me
>check his google calendar
>see he has other meetings of that kind with random other people in various teams
>smells fishy
>monitor the invites
>notice the first guy he met with that afternoon had his slack account deactivated
>oh shit it's really happening
>adds two HR reps to the call 5 minutes before the meeting starts (hence the pathetic, what do these dumb fucks think is gonna happen if I know before they drop the axe?)
>they tell me I'm being laid off effective immediately
>they deactivate my google workspace account while I'm in the call, so I don't get to even save emails or files or do any kind of offboarding
>i still have multiple API keys to all sorts of critical services since I'm the one who set up half of them
>this stupid company claimed to want to pour resources into AI and I was their only data scientist
>was carrying my team of 3, the other two being low IQ drones who can't even code and could barely even make it when they just had to copy paste what I did
>literally the one who defined almost all of the current stack and all the parts of the data architecture that actually work
>saved them tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in the past year

I knew they were too stupid to realize who actually did the work. The CEO is an egotistical dimwit who wants to get into tech without a single clue about software, and lacks the VC funds needed to hire competent staff, so he just spends money on ex Big tech rejects who get paid as long as they can before he throws a tantrum and fires them. The rest of the engineering teams are third worlders hired mainly because they're cheap, I was the only exception because I'm in Europe.

Anyway, anyone know companies hiring freelancers in AI/Data ScienceAnalytics?
>>
>>100133460
How do you all handle excess downtime at work? I want to think of alternatives to browsing 4ch or playing vidya.
Like, if you're done with a story and have the features documented, and there's not really much on the backlog? My manager always insists there's work to be done, but honestly I'm really, really bad at simply making shit up to do. It's one of the more difficult parts of the job in my opinion.
>>
>>100134806
>You're the new guy,
>you disabled something another team did,
>you didn't tell anyone what you did.
You did everything wrong in this situation honestly.
You need to communicate what you're doing and ask before messing with things. If you're scared of asking boss, ask someone who knows what's going on
>>
>>100135838
Upskill. Practice new tools, study for certs, or take online college courses. Invest in yourself motherfucker
>>
>>100135838
ask for more work if you want more work retard
>>
I wish there was a database of what majors, certs and experience levels correlate with actual employment under a specific job title. Also standardized unambiguous job titles. The job market is basically a black box.
>>
File: 1713820582744711.png (563 KB, 686x661)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
>>100134806
i'd say nothing unless i hated the other team/person for some reason. other teams failing/fucking basic shit up is entertaining to me why would i want to prevent that
>>
>>100135809
>google workspace
That should have been the first red flag that you were working for retards
>>
>>100135960
jobs go to nepo hires or foreigners to save money typically. just bee yourself ok.
>>
>>100135970
He already messed with it. He already fucked up. It's his fuckup now
>>
Over status?
>>
>>100135933
That's fair. Our team uses Node and AWS so I mean there's stuff I can read about both topics. It just seems like a vague sort of task, and I work better with defined goals and such.
>>
>>100134595
yeah pajeet, having a life outside work and children is cope
>>
>>100134607
>QA
>EU
Are you trying to be poor on purpose? Try Helldesk or Amazon wagie next time
>>
>>100134967
were they vaxxed?
>>100134617
Chronic infections?
>>
>>100135809
sorry to hear. it's probably coming for me in a few months. i can smell it.
>>
What do you do while getting your associates degree?
>>
>>100136243
>were they vaxxed?
duh. one of them even had a backpack with a patch on it saying "Achievement unlocked: receive the covid 19 vaccine"
>>
File: 1713825437887.webm (1.86 MB, 352x640)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB WEBM
>>100135809
It's like you're describing my workplace, down to Workspace and funding and Data Scientists and CEO behavior and hiring practices.
Spooky.
>>
>>100136275
Electronics retail, cable installer, factory worker, call center.
Anything involving a computer or wires.
>>
anyone else's company have an extremely strong pushback against use of Git in favor of <expensive ancient proprietary version control> for software development? it's getting exhausting. wondering how common this is.
>>
>>100134974
Experience is better than certs.
You're more likely to get hired while working support than you are with a gap in employment and some zoomer scam cert, unless it's a real one like a CCNP or CISSP
Tell them you have to go take classes or something and get part time hours
>>
>>100136456
Yes, but that was like 15 years ago. We were using SVN with some proprietary in-house built wrapper server for it that added special capabilities. There was a whole team for developing that and managing the SVN servers/instances. It was awful. I eventually moved to a non-dev role there for a while, but when I went back to coding years later they had finally switched to Git.
>>
File: 1635301549001.jpg (31 KB, 400x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>someone asks boss who on his team has time to help another team with something
>boss doesnt volunteer me, so i dont receive an invite to the meeting
it is nice to see him starting to respect my use of time at work. i was busy, so i probably would have had to not get something today in order to make time for it. im glad i didnt even have to say anything
>>
File: 1696139154227727.png (262 KB, 600x442)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>100135809
haha.
>>
File: wp9917275.jpg (119 KB, 1080x1246)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Just went through an interview for a job I had no intention of accepting so I could tell the company they're paying too little
Kept them waiting for a week then told them I accepted a better offer (I'm already employed kek)
Anyways, what are you doing to keep salaries high in this market?
>>
>>100136434
This isn't 90s grandpa, you can't be any of those without a degree or 5 years of experience (you need a degree for that)
>>
>>100136779
Holy fucking based.
>>
Know what would be based? A rogue ai bot that claims to have a phd, 20 years of ai experience, willing to work for 7.25 mass applying for everything
>>
>>100136086
>Over status?
We're hitting record lows
>>
>WFH/Hybrid company requires you to install a spyware app that screenshots your PC at an interval and send it to the company as proof of work
Almost shat my pants when I heard from a friend that his friend who works there did that, and I was thinking of applying too. Fucking dystopia.
>>
>>100137124
Just remembered that app is called HubStaff. Be careful, bros.
>>
>>100137124
Gotta eat. Companies are going to leverage job insecurity to implement every dystopian thing imaginable to fuck your life. I dread to think what the world looks like in 30 years. There will be microphones everywhere converting text to speech and ai analyzing it for wrongthink. Every web tracker reporting your browsing history to your employer.
>>
>>100135809
>google workspace
l m a o
>>
>>100137124
Meanwhile I play league/WoW on my work laptop all the time, watch netflix, twitch, you name it and no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>100136779
some months ago I interviewed with some faggot that apparently wanted to start a cybersec company. guy was looking for an offensive security guy, aka webapp/mobile security tester + pentester + ...
i told him I wanted a 20% wage pay than what I'm getting paid (which is probably a lot more than other retards out there). the guy looked at me as if I had offended his mother lmao.
>>
>>100137194
we're tech workers, we're the fucks implementing all that.
seems like you already have a business idea
>>100137229
i mean they know you're doing that, they just don't care
>>
File: notebook_components.png (18 KB, 601x295)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
New tech worker here (don't actually know anything about tech). Did I accidentally leak all my company's data by working with it in the Jupyter extension in VScode? It says in the documentation that all the code and the code output goes to their servers. So do they have my company's data now?
>>
>>100137194
Well we have guns for a reason.
>>
>>100137480
Yup. expect to be fired within the next few days. Sorry mate. If I were you I would hand in my 2 weeks now.
>>
File: 1689619791009766.jpg (42 KB, 728x410)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>100133643
>>
File: 2061061.jpg (122 KB, 1250x1782)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
At what point can I say on my resume that I have Linux/Bash/command line skills, and I'm not just a script kiddy copying what I found online?
>>
File: 1713187450898589.jpg (80 KB, 1024x1024)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>boss pulls me into a 40 minute call to show him how to use sections of our azure and conditional access policy settings

its very comfy when somebody way above you in experience asks for help with something specific you know how to use
>>
>>100137564
I've never had a technical boss before so this never happens
>>
>>100137534
Are you pulling my leg? Would VS Code really allow an extension like that? And it's such a popular one too.
Damn that sucks. I expected to be fired for being slow and useless. I never thought it'd be because I made a colossal mistake, betrayed my co worker's trust, and ruined their lives by creating such a mess.
>>
>>100137564
>boss calls me randomly to ask me about something ive been working on for months that he doesnt know shit about, not even the existence of it in a lot of cases until just now
>can you go figure out this issue someone at corporate asked me to get you to go look at? i dont know shit about this thing you handle
my boss calls me any time he needs someone to bail him out. i like the security it brings, but it makes me wonder what my boss is actually doing sometimes.
>>
>>100137631
>but it makes me wonder what my boss is actually doing sometimes.
meetings
>>
>>100137631
>boss is actually doing sometimes.
Pretending to work
>>
>>100137759
"meetings"
you mean the kind of "meetings" where nothing really happens, and most people zone out or do other shit during it like watch youtube?
>>100137786
glad i am not the only one who thinks this
>>
>>100137797
>you mean the kind of "meetings" where nothing really happens, and most people zone out or do other shit during it like watch youtube?
yep. all day everyday.
>>
>>100134806
>>100135887
You did do everything wrong.
The only way to keep your job now is to disable other users at random (make sure to include someone important, that ensures it feels random) and when pressed on it, claim it was a "glitch".
Only that can keep them off your back now.

To be honest, if you're sure they shouldn't have access then it's probably fine one way or another.
There possibly could have been better ways to handle it, but no one's perfectly professional
>>
>>100133643
mastermind
>>
>>100137561
>Linux/Bash/command line skills
lmao, is that even something worth putting on a resume? That is like below even the lowest table stakes
>>
File: Free shrugs.jpg (133 KB, 800x1143)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>100136456
We're using SVN because the Krauts have used it forever.
I would think it's fine as long as the oldfags over there make good code, but the most recent software we got from overseas is a hunk of junk.
They probably just don't know what they're doing.
>>
So, my company wants me to use my personal computer for work. Thoughts? Shouldn't they be providing me with a work device? This is remote by the way.
>>
>>100137921
depends on the type of work. it could mean that you are going to have more freedom to fuck off during work hours. is this for during or after work hours?
>>
>>100137821
>boss acts stressed out like he is always busy
>really he is just stressed out because he thinks someone will find out how much he has been fucking off during everything
great.
>>
>>100137934
During, they want me to use my personal computer that I use to game and porn. I'm guessing they just don't want to buy a laptop. This is a codemonkey webdev job so I guess I'm just going to be committing to repos most of the time anyway. What I'm worried about honestly are the implications of me using my personal computer, it might lead to some drama down the road which I want to avoid
>>
>>100137983
Buy an old thinkpad
>>
how long have you guys been wfh?
>>
>>100135318
BASED
>>
Any medical IT bros here? Why do nurses never ask each other for help? I keep getting "how do I do my job" tickets.
>>
>>100138218
you will get those kinds of tickets in other fields that require IT support. i worked for a clothing company years ago, and i had people ask me to show them how to pick product correctly when i was at our distribution centers.
>>
>>100136456
damn, I'd hate to work for retards that wanted to move away from git. I can't think of more useful tool for software development, besides code suggestions/linting or search engines
>>
im gonna go work for microsoft azure. i dont know anything about using cloud stuff
>>
>>100135809
>data scientist
you had it coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4nKbxnZxtQ
>>
>>100135838
>How do you all handle excess downtime at work?
Read Orielly books, or practice Leetcode.
I try to read books about databases and I want to read the book about data driven design or whatever it is called.

Or use your companies cloud provider to learn and practice new stuff and get their certificates.
>>
>>100137480
Don't use AI tools, they send your code to their servers.
Jupiter should send it to the locally run Jupiter instance on your machine, but I don't know how the extension works.
>>
everyone told me tech work was stress free and nice
but everyone i know in tech is angry, depressed, and worn out
>>
>>100138520
yeah welcome my nigga. you're next
>>
bros what do we think of exam dumps in general, and examtopics (the website) specifically? I'm going to be grinding out some certs soon and don't plan on stopping for like a year. Yes, I will study for the exams, but some of the certs I'm just there to pass rather than learn.

>>100137921
Legally speaking I have no idea.
In practice I would be excited to use my PC because I went overboard with the specs, whereas the laptop they issued me is some piece of shit with two cores (at least they're hyperthreaded) and 8GB RAM. I would spin up a VM for work though.
>>
>>100138499
I'm definitely staying away from AI tools. Just want to use traditional ML algorithms. Only really planned to stick to sklearn and statsmodels.
I'm really hoping the extension works the same.
>>
File: file.png (28 KB, 330x644)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>100138595
fuck, I forgot to get to my actual point with the question.
Is full access to the site for a year worth $500? And what's the best way to pay for this so it can't get traced back to me if a certification vendor decides to investigate?
>>
>>100135323
This checks out since most recruiters and HR are women.
>>
File: file.png (453 KB, 780x1002)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>100138449
>data driven design
may be this one?
>>
>>100138616
Dis a scam?
If they're in pdf form how come you can't find these leaked online?

I would purchase it, download the exams, and then call my bank mentioning I don't recognize the charge
>>
>>100138616
>>100138911
It says in the footer of the page that the site doesn't provide real exam questions, why are you calling it an exam dump?
>>
Its over
>>
>>100136421
The jeets are like rats
>>
Are all entry level white collar jobs pretty much going bye bye? Except basic computer janitor help desk since there is no ai robot to handle hardware that needs to be fixed asap.
>>
>>100139048
yeah no it's fucking over. i wish i could tell myself 2 years ago that fucking around in FL Studio was actually smarter than going back to school and learning2code. i fucking hate programming and technology
>>
>>100135838
I usually do chores around the house, play some guitar, or draw stuff whenever I have free time in between tasks. If there's a huge gap of time, then I'll do online training to meet professional development goals.
>>
>>100138165
Since the coof, and never going back
>>
>>100138911
>Dis a scam?
After going through questions for an exam until I hit the paywall, I can say the content is great, but I don't know if the price is worth it.
>If they're in pdf form how come you can't find these leaked online?
I found a few pdfs online but the given answers are often wrong (lol). The discussion in each question is important.

>>100138952
That is interesting, I didn't notice that. This site seems to be the most recommended when I looked up best exam dumps. People say the questions on there are really on the exams. Maybe it's there as some sort of legal disclaimer or something? Worst case scenario they're not actually exam questions, but they're still good practice questions (with the discussions included) so it would basically just be like overpaying for a practice test.
Well actually the worst case scenario is the site's a honeypot and I get all my certs revoked, but I feel like someone would have posted a bad review about the site mentioning that by now if that were the case.
>>
>>100139014
proof?
>>
>>100133752
I remember working a for a telecom a few years ago. There were many batch jobs that ran overnight and generated some datafiles which needed to be moved to some system or sent to our third party vendors everyday. Normally this was done with a script as you would imagine but of course sometimes the system would choke and we would need to do it manually and fix the script. That happened one on call shift with two pajeets and the system crashed because the datafile wasn't formatted correctly. I looked at the error and opened the file with a good editor and immediately noticed that file (TSV) had a few extract white space characters which weren't supposed to be there. I remember telling the pajeets to delete the extra characters and check the data downstream (this happened before). As you probably already guess, they didn't understand my "ask".
>>
>>100139056
I love that roasties and 30 year old career switchers get burnt out of programming after 2 years of working

More jobs and higher pay for me
>>
>>100136421
Are there even enough jobs for all these canadians?
>>
It's over
Also
>data analyst
>data science
>data engineer
>business analytics
>business analysis (i know this is for scrum master wastes of oxygen)
What the actual fuck is the difference between these? Seems like all the same thing with engineering being highly sql and database focused, business analyst having business knowlege and DA focusing on stats yet these are all stats oriented jobs/fields. Did i answer my own question? Are all these people applying to the same jobs anyway?
>>
>>100139151
My advice would be to use one of those virtual cards that banks supply and that won't be an issue, I think it's far fetched that a vendor would go that far to catch people like that, but if you want peace of mind that's my suggestion.

I also found a number of free exams and was confused with some of the answers, or they were wrong, etc. So maybe it's worth it but I'd only pay for 1 exam and see how it turns out.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 189x267)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>tfw watching management make promises to the customer that the dev team knows are impossible
>>
hey bros, so I'm thinking of starting to apply to new jobs. I'm on my first job though, so how would it work (specifically for references and all that)? i don't want my current job to know I'm trying to swap, i kind of just want to get a feel for the current market and see what comes up. do i just check "no" for the "can we contact your current employer" checkbox? won't that make me look bad?
>>
>what's a good entry level resume project
>lol just clone an entire social media network lmao
>>
I spent 2 hours today playing Daggerfall during work
>>
>>100139178
so not only were they useless at reading error logs, they're also unable to understand CSV/TSV files and basic English instructions?

Fuck how do they not make up for 1 decent pajeet when there's two of them?
>>
How many of you are chat bots from pass users?
>>
>>100138520
two more weeks until they cut the interest rates and then we're back
>>
>>100139268
can you give them the number of your coworkers?
>>
File: IMG_0197.jpg (435 KB, 1638x2048)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>Got laid out but passed the technical interview in a new job with 56% increase in the same day
Glad I noticed the signals and looked for a new job immediately, merges fuck with everyone.
>>
>>100133774
I've had a Pajeet interview for a senior developer position.

The guy literally could not code, at all. As in, can't even write the signature for a function, let alone a loop or an if statement.

We stopped the interview mid way because it was painful for everyone including himself.

I'm not sure how he got the interview in the first place, but I think Pajeets co-opt each other, so probably his cousin or something worked here and referred him.
>>
>>100133922
>Be Pajeet
>Be asked to convert a bunch of HTML files to PDF
>Change the extension from .htm to .pdf
>My work here is done, I have done the needful
>>
>>100135809
>I was their only data scientist

wow that company is completely doomed now
>>
>>100135809
>>saved them tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in the past year

Kek
>Be Pajeet
>6-figure data scientist salary
>"I saved them at least 50k last year"
>Why am I getting fired?
>>
My friend says PhDs are guaranteed senior roles in this market. Is he bullshitting?
>>
>>100138520
Because our end users tend to be complete retards that somehow became CEOs and are married to people that don't call them out on their stupidity.
>>
>>100139346
Senior java engineer at starbucks
>>
>>100139182
i'm 22 years old, you nigger-nerd
>>
>>100137480
My experience with the Jupyter extension in VSCode is that it runs the Jupyter IPython kernel locally. You’d have to set it up specifically to do something else otherwise. It is technically communicating with a server, but the server is running on your device.
>>
>>100137631
>but it makes me wonder what my boss is actually doing sometimes
Posting cunny in this bread
>>
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713804980288892.webm
>>
>>100139567
new /gif/ indian train rekt thread background song found.
>>
just ate sacred cow shit so shiva blesses my code monkey application wish me luck benchods
>>
>>100139433
SAAR
>>
>>100139567
this shit slaps ngl no pun intended
>>
>>100137619
Why would Microsoft discourage extensions from collecting telemetry?
>>
>>100139633
yep. lets spread it, saar
>>
>>100139269
unironcially.

I fucking hate boomers really, when they were young all they had to do was know how to write fizz buzz in C and they got 400K/yr out of college. Now zoomers have to learn all +3000 DS & Algorithms, Design Patterns, Architectures, Frameworks for 30K/yr
>>
I will switch majors to EE and wire grampas house if the market hasnt improved in 2 years
>>
>>100139900
you don't need to study EE for that
also, you know you could just wire networking cables, right?
>>
just read an entire novel volume at work today comfy
>>
>>100140046
In school may as well keep at it where i am and the degree should put me at the head of the line competing in trades.
>>
>>100139725
t. older genx &
>muh straight out of uni (didn't even have cs degrees back then - early 90's).
>learned c and self taught asm, only os's back then (in widespread commercial use) apart from windows were os2, dos and unix
>unix maven, knew dos and could use windows3.11/os2
>got msce only because work at the time was offering to pay
vs.
>you
>have 6 gorrillion oo based lang to chose from
>terminal use is literally limited to having a docked window at the bottom of your editor
>programming is basically scratch tier
>thanks to jeets getting a qualification is basically as easy as torrenting a movie ie. qualifications have become virtually meaningless.

of course it's harder - there's many many more niches and everything has become more complex.
t. still sysadmin running small network - this >>100140129 is a long day for me. until shtf
>>
What is it with working people that they would gargle their managers and colleagues mixed smegma instead of treating their own blood nice and friendly for just a week without throwing a hissy fit.
>>
>>100140207
the first group pay me, the second don't
>>
>>100140218
Will your managers and bosses come to your funeral?
>>
>>100140229
I'll be dead, I don't give a shit what happens at my funeral.
>>
File: 1698555056713434.png (167 KB, 799x789)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
>>100140232
>I'll be dead, I don't give a shit what happens at my funeral.
>>
File: 1669291761402132.jpg (65 KB, 450x488)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>100140238
Why are you seething?
>>
>>100140241
Don't you see the meme arrow? That means you say this and look like this.
>>
File: 1549682343842.gif (2.54 MB, 380x496)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB GIF
>>100140247
mhmm
>>
>>100138520
>everyone told me tech work was stress free and nice
As long as you dont care about job security it is.
>>
>>100137905
I work with ex-FAGMAN retards who can't use the command line.
>>
>>100137561
when you stop needing to copy things you found online
>>
I didn't see a girl today
>>
I wish we could go back to the days of my grandfather. Worked at the same engineering company for 40 years, got a great pension, and was able to buy a nice house and raise 4 kids in his 30s
>>
>>100140411
>working for 40 years
why the fuck would you work more than 10?
>>
>>100140411
Tech people caused this by inventing the internet and globalizing the economy
>>
>>100135970
Damn, that image is painful
>>
I should've just been an embedded developer. Fuck web and all this fucking garbage that goes along with it. Makes me honestly hate this field
>>
>>100140674
greener grass, there is no good software development experience
>>
File: 1705861191421006.jpg (119 KB, 1280x719)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
fuck my life i was taking a shit and forgot about the daily standup and my manager is noting it as the second time in 2 weeks (last time I was 2 minutes late to it)
>>
>>100140817
are you implying you'll be fired over being 2 minutes late? im afraid your autism diagnosis is terminal fren.
>>
>>100140817
>2 minutes late
what kind of software gulag do you work at where that matters
>>
>>100140896
I don't trust managers.
In my last workplace i got severely fucked over for something stupid like this.

>>100140918
Company with 100000+ employees and strict policies for all kinds of shit. Coincidentally also in Eastern Europe.
>>
>>100140817
>>100140896
>>100140918
a) for all the times I've had to penny pinch and go with out, for all the sleepless nights, for all the stress - I am so fucking glad I am self employed.
b) the more I look at these /twg/ breds the more I'm happy I'm a tool monkey now and no longer a codeslug
c) your manager doesn't like you - he wants to get rid of you. A smart man would be casting his eye further afield so that you can jump before you are pushed. Either way make sure you don't need a reference from him and cunt him in the fuck. Squarely
>>
File: 1710321902291405.png (496 KB, 1286x1362)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
only thing i did today was switch a git branch
>>
Whats a day in the life of a twg poster look like? Do you eat cute meals and work out?
>>
>>100141128

company got ripped off, was a good day
>>
File: 1712947660419304.gif (120 KB, 301x350)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>>100141197
it's not pretty but i picked up a barbell for the first time in 2 years today. and i played 15 minutes of a video game. so did way more than an average day. feeling optimistic overall.
>>
I need a sanity check.
I'm a Leaf in their late 20s. I work in IT, I make 85k a year. I live in the prairies so housing is overpriced but it's not nightmare levels like Toronto or Vancouver yet.
I'm thinking of quitting my job so I can go back to school to get my degree. After I graduate I want to work in Britain for 2 years. I'm a Canadian citizen by birth so I'm eligible for a youth mobility visa.
Am I retarded?
Everyone I'm mentioned this to IRL is telling me I'm throwing away an easy life in Canada and I should use the money I saved up for a house down payment instead.
>>
>>100141406
lol why?
>>
Just got a all team meeting scheduled for 11am today, it's currently 9:40, No information on what it's about, just that it's important and that everyone should attend.

I'm getting laid off aren't I?
>>
File: 1713861359485804.jpg (110 KB, 728x843)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>100141473
can't lay you off if you don't call in.
>>
>>100141479
They'll just lock your acount and stip paying you though
>>
>>100141447
Canada's future is pretty bleak.
The only property I own is my car. I might as well leave this sinking ship.
>>
>>100141594
move to america or south america. fuck europe. uk is exceptionally pathetic with their tv licenses and knife laws.
>>
>>100141607
>uk is exceptionally pathetic
And their tech salaries are even worse, $50k for 'senior' SWEs
>>
>>100141607
>>100141625
I'd need a TN visa, getting a college degree would increase my chances of getting a job offer in the US.
I'll at least visit Britain as a tourist
>>
>>100141406
I don't really know Canada or you well enough to give you gud advice but here goes:
- don't as 4chinz for advice
- emigrating can be tough especially on your own. I did it about the same age. RSA to Aus
- missed muh family like fuck and there were times I was really lonely.
- times were also tough - make sure your work eligibility on your visa is solid & easy (no hoops for employers to jump thru) and degree is transferable - you may need to live off savings
- if life is so fucked there FOR YOU ask yourself srsly if going elsewhere is going to fix that - no point in travelling half way across the world to be miserable in another cuntry
- don't come to 4chinz for advice
godspeed and gud hunting cunt.
>>
>>100139344
>not a pajeet
>salary was 60k, they pay according to local standards, hiring an american would cost double that at least
>saved upwards of 150k with one choice I was the only one pushing for alone

Why are you tards so quick to side with them?

>>100139335
Actually it's been doomed for a while, I just wanted to keep getting paid while the ship was sinking. To save the company, the whole leadership structure would have needed to change.

>>100138295
AI was a tiny fraction of my job until recently. My role was lead of the data and analytics team.
>>
>>100141701
kek im so retarded i get lost at airports. no idea how people move countries by themselves with nothing at their destination country. i could never do that.
>>
>>100141756
You just have low test.
>>
>>100141726
>a-actually I didn't care about the job a-anyway!!
Ah so that's why you are shitting up the thread with your shitty blog and mass replies?
Get a grip retard.
Maybe you just aren't as good as you think you are, maybe you are, who knows? But you should definitely work on your attitude. Throwing a hissy fit like a little baby whenever things don't go your way isn't a healthy or professional way of life and if you stay like this you will never make it far in any job, no matter how skilled you supposedly are.
And don't bother replying with any cope, I will not respond to you anymore. This is the only advice you will get from me.
>>
>>100138165
Be 5 years in July
>>
>>100138165
since march 2020
I changed 2 jobs since, and my current one wants to me to gb2/office/ once a month for 2 days, but the trip is fully reimbursed no questions asked so it's not that bad
>>
File: 1706319238051362.gif (224 KB, 500x341)
224 KB
224 KB GIF
>>100141770
that and ive just been gaslit my whole life
>>
>>100139240
My last job did this but then actually expected us to hit them. I quit at lunch one day, no notice and really fucked them. Felt good
>>
>>100141900
fake and gay but if true gj
>>
I take it back maybe the meaningless job titles are a good thing it filters people who paste their degree into the search
>>
>>100140207
Girls KNOW how lewd pits are. They know
>>
File: 1684663776573778.jpg (183 KB, 750x921)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>100137124
What is the difference between this and sitting in the office having your boss watch your back? You have zero privacy in the office, at least in your scenario you can still fuck around on a personal mobile device be a tablet, a phone, or a laptop.
>>100138165
I am very tempted to apply to remote jobs that are guaranteed to pay me less, I work hybrid 2 days in the office with very long and stressful commutes. The only thing stopping me is uncertainty, current job is stable and will outlast the bad economy.
>>
applied for a govvie job to get out of my current shithole but turnaround on offers are so loooooong
fairly sure I fucked the interview and wish they'd just tell me I don't pass so I can move on and look for other jobs
>>
>>100141867
>once a month for 2 days
Boiling the frog. You’ll be 5 days a week within 6 months
>>
File: 1713546956049466.webm (3.49 MB, 1080x1920)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB WEBM
>>100141944
sex should be illegal stop talking.
>>
>>100141944
They know that lonely men will pay for them, there's a difference
>>
>>100141911
100% true. I actually had another job all lined up and i was trying to figure out how to give my 2 weeks notice. One day our CEO took us out to lunch to address how we were interacting with sales and customer support. Instead of telling sales to consult us and telling customer support to stop being rude to my team, he told us we weren’t allowed to just ignore them. I calmly left with everyone else, went back to my desk, grabbed my stuff, left out the back stairwell, and texted my boss that i was done and turned my phone off. I then went to my dads house and drank and floated in the pool for a few days.
>>
File: 1704231051334910.png (747 KB, 986x1024)
747 KB
747 KB PNG
have a 3pm meeting tomorrow that i may sleep through since its 6am and still not tired
>>
>>100138886
>>data driven design
>may be this one?
Yes that one. I should read it. I heard great things about that book.
Have anyone else read it and have any comments?
>>
I've been trooning out for more than a year under the company's nose and now they want to RTO
I'm so fucked
>>
>>100142273
perfect, you've become unfireable and once you let them know no one will want you in the office, perfect way to keep wfh
>>
>>100142316
I don't want them to know I'm still boymoding
>>
>>100139238
>data scientist
The highest tier of these. Gets paid the best, probably 6 figures minimum in burgerland, and requires the most experience and knowledge. Uses ML, knows stats, knows programming well so they can reliably deploy models, knows database architecture well, knows how to interface with stakeholders and identify/develop projects. Basically the senior complete data analyst package.
>data analyst/business analytics/BI analyst/etc.
basically whatever they want you to be, which goes for pretty much the whole family of drooling retard analysts. No one knows. every data analyst will be doing something a little different at their job. For example I'm a data analyst. I don't use stats at all. I have been given free reign to play around with predictive analytics, but our department doesn't do any at the moment. I basically run some routine reports, do ad hoc data requests, and chat with my co workers. Yeah the business ones will be expected to be business savvy. Your will be excel and some insights package to make dashboards and visualizations with: tableau or power bi.
>data engineer
does actual important back end database maintenance as I understand it. The analysts just get shit out of the database, but you maintain it. ETL, create fields, etc.

DS gets paid the most. Probably data engineers next, but there are some wacky situations where business analysts make a lot because they have lots of rizz or some shit.
>>
>>100139450
Okay that sounds good. I feel like I would have heard about it if it was unsafe to use with sensitive information, given it's ubiquity in data science training materials.
>>100139636
With telemetry do they really see the contents of the data structures your working with? Like they're getting information about crash events and bugs or whatever, but are they really seeing what's in my dataframes?
>>
>>100139239
>My advice would be to use one of those virtual cards that banks supply
damn I just checked, none of the banks I'm with offer this. Time to pay a friend to use their card I guess?
>>
My boss keeps flooding my queue with tickets even though I haven't touched the last 30 he sent me. He just sent me 20 more last night.
He made no comment about how I haven't done any.
Will he just keep shoveling them on like a bot without noticing that I'm not doing them? I don't want to do them I just want to play video games.
I don't really care if I get fired since money is basically useless now.
>>
>>100141756
ngl It's not a walk in the park. Mine was mainly family oriented
>t. grew up in largeish family, several brothers older & younger
>we all worked in the family business
>I didn't want to do that and quickly recognised that *locally* I wasn't going to find work that didn't have a connection
>so I could literally move a town or 2 across (business was national at that point) or overseas
>dart on a map
>>
>>100139307
dead eyes
>>
>Forced to take another four hour security training
>Legitimately important internal policy buried under hours of retards explaining the CIA triad in a video for the 20th time
>Get to "introduction to cryptography" (It's just an explanation of public key crypto, again, like it's some magic thing and not something everyone learned in college)
>Alice and Bob diagrams
>Bob is a nigger of course thanks to DEI
I guess I'm getting paid well for this.
>>
>>100142929
The pay depends. A data scientist is typically a glorified analyst that knows statistics and machine learning. Statistics aren't even that hard and you get it covered in any university degree which they will ask for anyway. They typically still need to go to a data engineer or devops to deploy their models. If they don't do this it means their company simply hasn't hired a devops or data engineer to do it for them and that can lead to some ... interesting software infrastructure.

> data engineer
They typically are charged with doing it. However an analyst that is doing more complicated analytics will also need to know the ETL. A non existent data engineer will mean the analyst will need to come up with solutions himself. That means adding columns to a database, creating views or worst of all writing giga long SQL queries to retrieve data. Alternatively if there is some DWH solution, maintain that. If it's a data lake solution enjoy the noSQL bs that needs to interact with the SQL stuff.

It's not really straightforward and your job might differ from company to company. The excel monkey analysts aren't really being hired anymore anyway.
>>
>>100143632
To add: I went into data analytics because I found it a bit easier and here in euroland (Netherlands) it pays the same at most companies as data science or data engineering does. Data scientist jobs are hyper competitive with hundreds of applicants since you have degrees in it and fresh grads then immediately want a pure data science job. I got an offer right out of uni 2 years ago from Shell for about 51k / yr. I took an analyst position at a giga bank for 65k / yr but I hated it there. So I took an analyst position at a small company where I initially got paid like 60k (and only 36 hrs work week and not 40) and now I'm making around 73k.

In US the salaries differ a lot. It's quite wild that at the bank I was working a senior analyst was making around 90-100k euro while in the US department they were getting 90-120k$. But the cost of living in US was much higher. The data scientists there were making around 150-200k though, which I found interesting because in the Netherlands the pay between data scientists and analysts was the same.
>>
>>100133473
Based
>>
>>100142273
how long have you been working there before you trooned?
i work in office and trying to get a remote job so i can troon in peace
but i'm probably just gonna keep john 50ing

>>100142316
if only it worked that way
>>
>>100134386
Didn't they ask you for references?
>>
>>100143792
NTA but my current job didn't ask for references, nor the one before it.
idk why, only the ones that didn't end up hiring me bothered to contact my references.
>>
>>100135029
>>100134319
Welcome to first world issues where despite the much higher salaries in other countries you will still feel poor due to the sword called mortgage that's floating above your head. Most older people who had their debts deflate and house prices boom are good though, its just when you just enter it is made insanely tough.
>>
File: fit_1713576103560098.jpg (57 KB, 466x480)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>100143809
So there is a chance to get a side hustle gig without references, thanks anon. I interviewed for a company offering a 12-month contract and when they asked me for two references I felt bummed. I don't want to ask ex-colleagues to answer their calls and provide a reference for me when it's basically an extra income that maybe won't work and I will terminate after 2 months.
>>
>>100143821
>still feel poor due to the sword called mortgage that's floating above your head.
The NEETs are right, living with your parents is better:
1) Way nicer neighborhood than you can afford since they've circled the wagons and stopped building to keep the immigrants out
2) Everything is familiar
3) Your mom will make you chicken nuggets
Optimal of course is WFH in your parent's house. Mortgages are for couples and your wife can pay half until you have kids and you have enough equity you can get by on one income.
>>
>>100133900
>How do they even get jobs with this lack of knowledge?
It took me a long time to learn (I was a NEET) that a lot of people working sucks badly at the job they are paid for.
>>
File: g_1713792136358852.jpg (11 KB, 252x212)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>100135809
You are not alone DS bro. I'm a DS as well and got laid off after working so hard and having to built the shittiest pipelines due to a lack of budget. That and discarding my findings because my manager didn't agree with them so I had to create slides with his "recommendations" instead for the GLT.
An advice: focus on data engineering. Data science is for the bullish market when companies have lots of money to burn. Nowadays they are okay with basic stats.
>>
File: g_1713580288295562.webm (259 KB, 262x262)
259 KB
259 KB WEBM
>>100135838
Im like this. Usually I read, play vydia or lurk 4chan. I should block some time to study for certs and do a bit of leetcode just in case.
>>
>>100143821
>the sword called mortgage
Imagine being able to afford a deposit.
>>
>>100143693
Since you've been a data analyst for a while, what's your day to day looking like now?
Yeah the pay situation over there is very interesting. In America there's no way an analyst would make close to what a data scientist makes. I make 50k/year as an analyst I don't actually do anything, but this is also my 2nd month on the job and also my first real job. No quantitative education. DS makes around double that.
>>
>>100140817
are you remote? do they give you a phone? if so, install teams or whatever app you use for meetings in the phone
but seriously, taking a shit is beyond a right, it's a human need. if they ever fire you for that... I guess you need to start collecting (or producing) evidence now
still, no one cares about 2 minutes.
>>
>>100135809
Idk why companies think it is ever a good idea to fire someone without any kind of announcement or preparation but just randomly at a 15-30 minute meeting. I was contemplating assault on the seacow who did that to me when I lost a job in 2021 (was in probation period, so I wasn't even entitled to unemployment!).

>>100143845
Being NEET is unimaginable comfortable if your parents have a three story house and you're sitting on a floor that separates you from them. You get the cheap appartment experience without the cost in this way. If you get along well with your parents it is a huge bonus.

You can save a lot for a down payment, and then have a lighter mortgage. It also allows you to buy in areas you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford with a gf. Don't expect a girl to bring in as much money as you do. But at the notary you can always declare that you always owe the percentage of the home relative to the money you bring in so even if you breakup you don't lose the money.
>>
>>100136779
It's basically what I'm thinking I'm going to do. I wanted to get some extra cash on the side contracting so I didn't negotiate much, but they are adding so many hoops to jump I'll seriously consider withdrawing my application. Fuck them.
>>
>>100144102
I've lived in luxury apartments. Living with your parents is even better.
You go to the living room to get coffee and your dad tells you about his new hobby vs you go to the club house to get coffee and there's some loud nigger from Russia with her three illegitimate children tearing everything up.
>>
>>100143821
I'm a single homeowner (32 year old virgin) with a mortgage. Maintenance and work takes up so much time. I should've just bought a condo
>>
>>100137124
Fine but the moment they criticise me for not spending 8 hours in front of my laptop if I can finish all work in 2 it's the moment I quiet quit and milk them until they fire me or I find another job.
>>
File: F04MGlUXwAEjQXK.jpg (196 KB, 1309x1219)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>100133752
when we first got pajeets they had a "humanization" meeting to get to know them. all of them had nearly 20 years of experience and none of them could operate visual studio or understand basic concepts of programming. there were times we would have to tell them exactly where in the code to make changes and how. company kept them for a while after everyone left, as far as i know everything went to shit and like the one competent dev just kept a working master branch since offshore didnt know how to do a pull request
>>
>>100144098
I obviously didn't tell him I was taking a shit, just said it won't happen again
My workplace uses a hardened microsoft suite that won't let you install their apps without a company profile and the company profile doesn't install on a riced android
>>
File: wagie-pepe.jpg (149 KB, 1000x800)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
I have a choice to make between staying at my current startup company or moving to big tech

> current company was a wreck at the beggining of the year: 15 persons were layoff from 80 persons company, CFO quits, payments were late by one week, CEO says he's working on getting a loan from a bank to keep payroll.
> things are normal at the moment, I have comfy WFH, I like my team but at startups shit can hit the fan at any moment
> I'm close to getting an offer from big tech (well, local big tech) but there are somee things I don't like: unpaid on call weeks, first three months of hybrid work, tech leads seemed like cucks that would happily bend to any corporate mandate
>they had some doubts about my introverted mood and how well I could fit the "cultural values" but somehow my skills ended up convincing them.

tl;dr: I could get a 20% - 30% salary raise from big company but I didn't like their mood and cultural shit. However my current startup is probably a ticking bomb. What's the best choice here?
>>
>>100144276
>>100144098
>Installing company anything on a personal device
Phones cost like $50 these days. Either buy a second or better yet move your number to jmp.chat and just stop carrying the phone.
>>
>>100144285
What's your role?
And keep searching
>>
>>100134319
Honrstly anon that's too much house for you. If you earn 30k, you can own about a 90-100k house comfortably at that salary.

There are more opportunities. Save more or look for less.
>>
NEXT SPRINT
>>100144395
>>100144395
>>100144395
>>100144395
>>
>>100144276
>I obviously didn't tell him I was taking a shit
"I was in the bathroom" is a valid argument IMO

>>100144146
can't you pay someone to do it for you?

>>100144285
>CEO says he's working on getting a loan from a bank to keep payroll.
that's crazy...

> I didn't like their mood and cultural shit
who the fuck cares? a job is a job. just ignore that shit, can't you?
>>
>>100144046
I'm working at a small company of 60 FTE that is semi-government. The pay is better than most private sector jobs in this country (lel welcome to Europe).

Day to day would be developing stuff in power BI, sitting in stakeholder meetings, writing advice reports, writing some python scripts to automate or handle some ETL processes. The later is pretty rare for a data analyst but if the company is small and doesn't hire a data engineer you get to do that yourself. I like the current job a lot because I get a lot of freedom. I can start at 10 am and leave at 4, and when WFH I get to make my own schedule. No deadlines are very hard either. Incompetence is high so it is easy to stand out positively with minimal effort if you have knowledge of how to do things. The more interesting stuff I do are things that handle risks and risk classifications. I can easily take that non-tech experience into a lot of other jobs out there.
>>
>>100144380
>you can own about a 90-100k house comfortably
And where in the US can you find such a house? Baltimore?
>>
Owning a house is a meme and makes you a slave to being employed
>>
>>100142929
Im officially a data analyst but do data engineer work as well. Also earning way a bigger salary than when I was officially a data scientist elsewhere.

In conclusion: the 3 do similar tasks, it's just a title.
>>
>The excel monkey analysts aren't really being hired anymore anyway.
Unless the position is in the finance department.
>>
>>100144102
yet another reason why companies don’t deserve loyalty without a compensation to match. Always be looking to trade up.
>>
>>100144129
You want to know a big, dirty secret?

job interviews are literally the equivalence of dating: you have more success the less harder you try
>>
>>100144449
I agree.
t. homeowner
>>
>>100144380
I want a house with a big patio and lots of space to build a lab, a home gym and other stuff
also, I'll make it a side busienss by renting rooms to tourists during summer
>>
>>100137124
>Anon, we want you to install our company spyware on your PERSONAL device because we know it would be illegal to install it ourselves and we would be liable to have the fucking pants sued off of us for it
>don’t you want the moooneyyyyy
>just give up your piece of mind, privacy, and autonomy, anon, cmon don’t make this a difficult onboarding process
I remember when I used to work in the trades, and our new workflow app to organise jobs came with a GPS tracker so the boss “could see if we were fucking around” so i just set up all the boys’ work phones with a VPN that set their location to mainland China lmao. That didn’t fuckin last very long
>yeah can’t come in today, mate, i’m on the other side of the fucking world LOL
>>
File: Taking_fish_pictures.jpg (105 KB, 1280x853)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>100144411
>Baltimore
lmao I wish

Pick a random state in the deep south or midwest. In any of these states you can find a decent, inexpensive, safe suburb which is usually adjacent to a crime filled shithole of a city. Shreveport, LA; Montgomery AL; Charleston SC. Some may be more expensive than others
>>
>>100138218
nurses are horrible to one another in professional settings. It’s a literal popularity contest because their tenure is based entirely upon whether the NUM likes them or not. And they’re all fucking the doctors.
>>
>>100144285
>CEO literally told you he needs a loan to keep paying staff
>still consider staying
some of you tech guys are beyond fucking retarded. Like, it’s weapons-grade autism
>>
File: OIP.jpg (26 KB, 474x296)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>100144449
>a slave to being employed

This is what I wish I could communicate to other people my age (late 20s). More money, more house, more things, more responsibilities, less mobility. I am married and I love my wife. But I make so much money that we have become used to a lifestyle that was unthinkable to us 10 years ago. I love my family so much that I would never want their standard of living to go backwards in any measurable way. Golden handcuffs man. I'm in the process of hoarding cash so that I don't quite feel the sword of damocles over my head every time my boss is in a bad mood. I want to be in a position in life where I no longer fear unemployment. It's not that I'm personally or emotionally invested in the performance of my company; I'm afraid of economic ruin
>>
>>100144559
That's great and it's attainable but 150k house at 30k a year salary probably isn't doable. You willing to put 20% down at 30k initially? You've got to do all the math and see if your monthly mortgage, your utilities, insurance, bills and investments can all be funded feasibly. Add to that emergency funds for when shit will inevitably break, (or you need a new roof etc) and the answer might not be as solid.
>>
>>100144881
have you tried reading my post here >>100134319? I already have $100k...
>>
File: 1713882650738.png (858 KB, 1500x1288)
858 KB
858 KB PNG
>>100143791
I started it remote (interview as well) and was already a couple months on hrt but had nothing all that noticeable
now it's a year later
>i work in office and trying to get a remote job so i can troon in peace
>but i'm probably just gonna keep john 50ing
honestly you can just start immediately, boobs only really become a problem after prog, before that you can just wear baggy clothes, it's a meme for boymoders to do that for a reason, it works really well
idk if you want my perspective on things but expect the absolute worst, boymoding is actually poison and you'll probably only feel good about transitioning for a few months
even then I'm glad I don't look like other dudes my age
>>
>>100144559
I want to kill the Mexicans who fucked up the country but we don't all get what we want.
>>
>>100144927
This is the original post I quoted so yes. 100k. You're going to dump the majority of your savings into a house immediately?
>>
>>100144881
>>100144927
also, it's 130k, not 150. and the 33k wage is after taxes. I could pay that in a year. my only problem is that I hate beind in debt

>>100145047
yes, why not? that's exactly what I've been saving for. why would I keep 100k in a fucking bank doing literally nothing with it?
>>
>>100145064
You would put a chunk of that in investments and earn way more on it. If you're going to buy it's better not to deplete everything you own and instead may a mortgage down slightly quicker and continue to earn etc.

Say you lost your job tomorrow...do you have enough to cover expenses for EVERYTHING for up to several months? Otherwise you're going to be housepoor.
>>
>>100145099
as I said, I hate risk. I'm not investing in shit other than in myself.
also, actually, the house itself would be my investment, see >>100144559. tourism might not be a terribly profitable industry, but almost everyone in my small town lives off it.

>Say you lost your job tomorrow...do you have enough to cover expenses for EVERYTHING for up to several months?
I'm thinking on using 85-90k for the downpayment. I'm not retarded, just scared of debt...
>>
>>100141406
ive seen posts from uk anons here saying they make like 20k a year. this sounds like a retarded plan

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.