[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: basedelon.jpg (139 KB, 909x1077)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Elon's running towards you edition

>Interviewing
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
they're all grifters but here are some
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@tciproductions
https://www.youtube.com/@ZackFreedman
https://www.youtube.com/@TechLead
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)

Previous sprint >>100133460
>>
based retard
>>
Only a few more decades of cranking out useless CRUDware till we make it
>>
File: wagie-pepe.jpg (149 KB, 1000x800)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
reposting from old thread:

I have a choice to make between staying at my current startup company or moving to big tech

> current company was a wreck at the beggining of the year: 15 persons were layoff from 80 persons company, CFO quits, payments were late by one week, CEO says he's working on getting a loan from a bank to keep payroll.
> things are normal at the moment, I have comfy WFH, I like my team but at startups shit can hit the fan at any moment
> I'm close to getting an offer from big tech (well, local big tech) but there are somee things I don't like: unpaid on call weeks, first three months of hybrid work, tech leads seemed like cucks that would happily bend to any corporate mandate
>they had some doubts about my introverted mood and how well I could fit the "cultural values" but somehow my skills ended up convincing them.

tl;dr: I could get a 20% - 30% salary raise from big company but I didn't like their mood and cultural shit. However my current startup is probably a ticking bomb. What's the best choice here?
>>
>>100144362
I'm a backend developer

>>100144402
>who the fuck cares? a job is a job. just ignore that shit, can't you?

I'm sperg so these things are important to me. I don't want to be shunned
>>
Elon seems like such a dumb nigger
>>
>>100144538
>tesla man bad!
>>
>>100144395
Imagine ML people writing firmware lol.
>>
>>100144380
>you can own about a 90-100k house
Anon... lmao
>>
We just gotta hold out till they release AI gfs then we will have won
>>
>>100144395
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1zXTOUGWl0
>>
>>100144642
>two more weeks
>>
>>100144643
I know this is AI because the accent and vocabulary is too good.
>>
File: 1691944213814733.jpg (141 KB, 1920x1080)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>recruiter sends me a message about a position that requires a min 5 year experience
>i'm still in uni with only half a year of experience as a dev
Why are they like this?
>>
>>100144671
>jeet recruiter sends me job I'd be perfect for
>asks for some interview slots
>I give him 5
>he ghosts me
Truly bewildering.
>>
How do I leave this industry? I can't stand doing this job and have no other qualifications
>>
non-dev tech worker here. I'm conflicted...
>coworker works for internal client but independently from the rest of the team
>he suddenly sees his load being reduced to a minimum, tells us he thinks he will be fired
>team manager gets fired without replacement
>months pass, coworker didn't get fired but others did
>coworker starts assuming the role of the team manager but with no official announcement and for the same pay
>starts throwing random shit at some of us that have dev knowledge because he wants us to show something to the new management, because he still thinks he'll be fired if his workload is as low as it is, even though there are some big projects in his fucking backlog
this faggot is using us to keep himself afloat. he's also been talking to the new management on our backs. I'm getting tired of this shit. my role isn't devving shit and I don't want to automate my own job for the pleasure of management, not even a small part of it. what the fuck should I do?
>>
File: i-HssxrdX-L.jpg (78 KB, 567x747)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>100144499
I used to work at a big tech company and it was alright. They let me go full time remote and I was on call for 1 week every couple months or so. The on call wasn't so bad; I rarely ever got woken up, and when you do everyone is really nice to you the next day. My main problem was how bureaucratic everything was: it took forever to get anything done because there were meetings to be held, tickets to be filed, and resources to be requested. If you had a new service you needed to run you had to go through like 2 or 3 devops people to get the resources provisioned and initialized. I now work at a small startup and I wish we had *some* of the processes that the big tech company did. Where I am now, we never review code or do formalized QA testing. Would be nice to get some of those things back
>>
>>100144671
go for it anyway
why are you people like this?
>>
>>100144671
HR people write the experience requirements. If you can get past the HR people, you have a shot at convincing them that you're more valuable than someone with X years of experience. Job posting requirements are usually more like a wish list; if employers really did require everything they required, they'd never hire anyone. It's really hard to hire people these days
>>
>>100144499
you got multiple answers. why did you repost here?
also, as some other anon said, the loan should be a big redflag to leave asap.
you say you are "comfy" in a doomed company and don't want to get a better paid job because "muh culture, muh autism". you aren't autistic, you are pathetic and fucking stupid.
>>
My boss said he'll make sure I get paid properly even though I left 6 hours early due to feeling like shit. I am salary, so what exactly is he talking about? I don't need to justify my time at all via clocking in or whatever so I'd still get paid properly without him doing anything right?
>>
Adding and updating my resume and I don't know how to word this.
>My boss role is senior engineer
>he's quitting
>I'm taking only about 20-30% of his responsibilities
>not really sure what to write, I can't say I'm Acting "Senior Engineer" since I don't have that role.
>Company is looking to backfill for senior ASAP.
>not really sure how to update "taking up responsibilities" on my resume.

Any tips?
>>
>>100145027
Ass. Senior Engineer
>>
>>100144671
Are they Indian? They're box checking.
I had one do that and then fail to read my resume and reject me after harassing me to call him about a position he found.

I no longer accept phone calls and emails from Indians on my personal devices.
>>
>>100145027
>Took on additional technical leadership responsibilities in response to team churn

think of a more professional word for team churn though.

But resumes should focus more on results. I don't write how many responsibilities I had, I write down what technical achievements I made: services deployed, efficiencies improved, bugs squashed, etc. Something that's measurable. Sundar Pichai has all the responsibility at Google but he's a total dipshit of a CEO. I guess he is a billionaire though
>>
>>100145043
No I'm assistant to the senior engineer.
>>
>>100145052
Not a jeet, just a dutch guy from a company based in the Netherlands.
>>
>spend a year grinding webdev
>go from being jobless neet to sociable, likable person
>beat out the seething leetcoding cs grads and land my first job
>90% of my job is “figure out what the fuck this code somebody who left the company 10 years ago wrote, now rewrite it, or don’t”
cant say im upset but this profession is much more dull than the “learn to code” marketing would have you believe
>>
File: glass ceiling.jpg (308 KB, 2048x1792)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>100144395
I would just fucking kill this guy if he did this to me. No need to avoid legal consiquences, nuking this retarded puppet is its own reward. I'm tired of hearing about him in the news and from dumb zoomers hating or sucking his cock, having him try and act like firing someone is reality tv would cause me to lose it.
>>
>>100145158
>this profession is much more dull than the “learn to code” marketing would have you believe
how do people not realize this early? having to write programs, debug shit or set up environments and shit is boring as fuck. everything tech is boring and tedious. you have to be autistic to enjoy this shit. how is this not obvious...
>>
>>100145235
Tech influencers
>>
File: file.jpg (32 KB, 680x606)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
post yfw the recruiter is a man
>>
File: 279.jpg (143 KB, 1200x1200)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
good morning sirs to all my WFHchads shitposting on a tuesday morning
>>
>>100145235
>how do people not realize this early?
They are retarded zoomers incapable of foresight or introspection
>>
File: a_1699271307709693.jpg (29 KB, 474x474)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>100145314
Good afternoon from EU WFHchad. 1 hour left to clock out but I'm going to relax reading on the couch for a while. Also feeling like pushing the stakeholder meeting tomorrow and work during the morning on it, as today I don't feel like it.
Life is good
>>
>>100145355
Hold up, I have a meeting with devs as a stakeholder tomorrow, can you kindly not?
>>
>>100144395

>OP picrel
This is how the real world works unfortunately. We have insane motherfuckers with wealth beyond the dreams of the kings of old running around being literally fucking retarded, leaving the random middle managers and front line employees to clean up his mess and do damage control because they just want to get paid and make it through the day.
>>
>>100145370
Sorry bro, if I find a 30-minute free slot in your afternoon agenda that's where the meeting is gonna go
>>
File: 1639178813080.png (772 KB, 568x772)
772 KB
772 KB PNG
>>100145158
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Do you see books as ink on paper or as portals into another world? Do you see programming as symbols on a screen or as a complex system like a motorcycle that can be repaired and modified and optimized? If it's not the latter for you, owari da.
>>
>>100144859
>it’s really hard to hire people these days
Almost as if you faggots should have some sort of quality control on whom YOU hire to acquire talent. Talentless HR roasties will never hire anyone even halfway proficient at their trade, and you have no one to blame but yourselves. Women will unironically destroy capitalism lmao
>>
No hiring planned until Q4 unless there are new vacancies. Stay warm anons
>>
I’m a junior SOC analyst, job is comfy and easy and pays well (for Europe) but I can’t wfh
Can’t have it all I guess
>>
File: 1703809696735462.jpg (121 KB, 735x1029)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>100145158
>>
File: 1648394577307.jpg (334 KB, 897x900)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>100145432
>this guy has c++14 experience?
>ugh swipe LEFT we are looking for someone with c++20 experience
>where are all the good employees?
>>
Does anyone else feel workplace paranoia shitposting in /twg/? Like if I complain about my job and am too specific, my boss or someone else on my team is going to read it and know it’s me. I judge people by their likelihood to be shitposters, and I just KNOW at least one person whose chances of being here are greater than 0.
Maybe it’s just me
>>
>>100145432
>Almost as if you faggots should have some sort of quality control on whom YOU hire to acquire talent. Talentless HR roasties will never hire anyone even halfway proficient at their trade, and you have no one to blame but yourselves. Women will unironically destroy capitalism lmao

The problem is that recruiters take a large % of their first year salary, making them expensive. Engineers have better shit to do than sift through resumes all day. My company has no "HR person" (small startup, my boss manages hiring), and you get 10 billion resumes a day when you post a job online, and 99% of them are completely unqualified. It's not hard to hire a moron, but it's extremely hard to hire a good engineer
>>
>>100145187
you’re a piss weak esl faggot and you couldn’t fight your way out of a wet paper bag. Post your fucking hands, you vile currynigger
>>
>>100145337
>>100145271
>>100145235
Being compensated more than the typical white-collar position also does not help the perception. This we can pin on the big-tech companies inflating salaries but no doubt this job is attracting people who clearly are not autistic enough to be passionate about code(by itself I mean).
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (94 KB, 600x879)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>100145481
yes but if they are here I assume they are based and not faggots
>>
>>100145481
Nah, even if I post things that STRONGLY indicates that it’s me, no one has any way to be sure it’s actually me and not another one of the billions of tech workers accross the world that could be in a similar situation
>>
File: IMG_1132.jpg (21 KB, 417x340)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>100145475
Basically this lmaoo.
>>100145485
>My company has no "HR person"
>it's extremely hard to hire a good engineer
colour me fucking surprised, you illiterate cunt
>>
>>100145481
why would you ever post anything specific about your work on a public forum are you genuinely unwell or something??
>>
>>100145549
I am 32 years old and have never kissed a girl so probably
>>
>>100144826
if he's not your line manager (or above in the chain) on the org chart then you don't answer to him. Just don't bend to the will of some literal nobody
>>
>>100145491
sorry while I understand your missaimed hatred of Indians I believe it's a moral sin to post humans online.
>>
>>100145572
i respectfully accept your concession because you were smart enough not to post photos of your hands online
>>
>>100136213
>pajeet
cope lol
you'll have a rude awakening when you realize most people who do what you listed have children.
>>
I'm done. I'm out. I'm free.
>>
>>100145427
> or as a complex system like a motorcycle that can be repaired and modified and optimized
more like a chimera abomination created by a frankenstein's toddler with a down's syndrome.
>>
>>100145569
right, but I bet he could get me fired. he sort of is "above in the chain" right now, but that's the thing: we, as a team, still have no manager. there is a few people who act as such but we don't know if they will become official in the future. this coworker could become our manager.
>>
>>100145523
HR people are not good at hiring. Hiring a liberal arts grad to go out and find engineers is like hiring a painter to find copper deposits in the ground
>>
File: crying.jpg (50 KB, 800x450)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>100144907
>you are pathetic and fucking stupid

sorry
>>
> scrum master scheduling daily standup at fucking 8 am
> glorified status meeting where nobody pays attention
> losing life quality and sleep hours thanks to this shit
> he's probably doing that shit because he wants to micromanage the shit out of us
>>
File: 1713887517657.jpg (33 KB, 624x479)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
What music do you listening during meetings? Or you actually pay attention?
>>
>>100145993
i have to periodically pay attention because at any moment someone could call my name and ask me something
>>
>>100144499
Get the fuck out, you retarded homo.
>>
>>100142929
I have seen people say DA entry level is saturated. That seems to be the case when i look at linkedin posts for "data analyst" in major US cities but less so for "x analyst" outside major cities. Is a bachelors, maybe a cert or 2 enough to stand out?
>>
I am SQL monkey. I would say I am "database developer".
Would it be stupid to move to database administration?
I find it intriguing to see the bigger picture, but 1. infrastructure tends to pay less 2. it tends to require on call duty.
>>
>>100144499
take the money retard
>>
>>100144395
> f1 visa
so Indian?
>>
>>100146097
yes, hope Elon told him to go the fack back to Africa too
>>
File: 1c2.png (314 KB, 764x879)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>100146004
thank goodness i'm a junior and nobody cares about my opinion
>>
>>100146081
>Would it be stupid to move to database administration?
>infrastructure tends to pay less
I have no idea but from what I've heard, DBAs are one of the highest paid careers in tech and secure as well. maybe not as much as in rockstar dev, but... yeah
OTOH, companies use the cloud nowadays, so I guess that's something to consider.
>>
>>100145491
i was gonna tell you to kys but i know you'll end up doing it very soon anyway
>>
>>100146129
it happened when i was a junior as well
it wasn't about opinion it was more that something i worked on comes up and they asked me to explain it
>>
>>100144547
>do not hecking disrespecting the tesla man, saar!
good morning, doge moon pls?
>>
>>100145993
Classical while I play chess on my phone. Actually I do this for 7 hours of the 8 hours of the work day, sometimes 8. Such is the junior life
>>
Gonna start studying for the AWS SAA cert i guess, it looks very basic
>>
File: 82609-38-096583-0.gif (243 KB, 320x230)
243 KB
243 KB GIF
>>100144395
I already knew about this crap and it doesn't matter if this specific instance happened or not. Others have verified, by current or ex-employees, that he pulls this shit all the time.

People avoid Elon like the fucking plague when he shows up on-site. Avoid getting on an elevator with him, walking in his general direction, making eye-contact, and everything else. He will ask you what you do and then ask incredibly specific things. If you can't answer, that's it. It's an off day? Fuck you. Fired. A loved one passed away? Fuck you. Fired. That question has nothing to do with your specialty? Fuck you. Fired. Guy is a lunatic and a dumbass.

There's a reason why all engineers that come from his companies have PTSD. Granted they're academically smart but when it comes to everything else they literally need retraining. Empowered to make their own decisions without oversight but if anything fucks up, even if its not their fault, it's on their head to fix ASAP. Management basically throws them to the wolves.

Don't work for or with this guy. You'll truly get stress tested. If you really want to get stress tested, do consulting. Similar on a lot of work and the pay is less but you're not on the hook for any fuck ups the client makes.
>>
>>100146190
desu I hope he doesn't stop cause I'm looking forward to the day a disgruntled employee does a Shinzo Abe if u catch my drift
>>
>>100144395
desu elon was right to fire the guy. let's be clear, elon doesn't know shit about engineering, so whatever he asked the engineer, it must have been a very basic question. if you are so focused on your tiny area of expertise that you don't know even the basics of something like ML which has applications in virtually everything, you are likely bad at your job.
>>
>>100146216
fat faggot probably asked something like "what's the best machine learning algorithm"
>>
>>100146242
that's easy

>if () {}
>else if () ()
>else if () ()
>else if () ()
>....
>>
>>100146252
fucking hired
>>
>>100146190
otoh, he proved that 90% of the engineers working at twitter were doing nothing of value
>>
>>100146280
Have you even opened this shitty thing since he took over?
>>
>>100146211
He might get lucky on this one never coming to pass. Any goodwill his companies may have has basically run out and all engineers know to stay the fuck away.

Never liked the guy when I first heard of him in 2011 and glad to know I wasn't wrong. My asshole radar has yet to be wrong.
>>
>>100146296
yes. the main difference i noticed when he took over, is that the trending topics bullshit became again the real trending topics based on what people were posting, instead of a list of topics manually selected by a DEI hire
>>
>>100146216
I just fired a plumber because he didn't know the basics of ML. Can't trust him anymore, he is like bad at his job.
>>
Stop talking about a fake pic retards
>>
How the hell do you reject a job offer after saying multiple times you'd take the job if you got offered it? I genuinely do not know how to say no to this
>>
>>100146350
you don't owe them and explanation and you don't have to say shit. still, if leaving your options with them open for the future is important, you can either tell them the real reason, or you can make something up as an excuse.
>>
>>100146365
Exactly this, you don't owe them anything. Be polite and decline, you don't even have to give a reason.
>>
>>100146317
>the trending topics bullshit became again the real trending topics
nta but I clearly saw the exact contrary thing in my country. I saw a list of obviously politically manipulated topics, stuff pushed by groups that coordinated to push for certain topics related to politics at specific times of the day.
also, have you noticed that you simply can't read threads without an account...?
>>
>>100146350
If it’s for salary, say you were offered something that’s better for you financially and ask them to come up because they’re your “first choice”. If they don’t, stop replying.
I rejected a company and a week later they came back with a 20k increase. Then I rejected them again.
>>
>>100146393
>they came back with a 20k increase. Then I rejected them again.
Damn anon, NTRd the fuck out of them
>>
>Intel MBP was replaced with an M3
>Can't run Oracle thick client because Oracle can't be bothered to compile for ARM
>Thin client doesn't work for the esoteric BS I have to maintain
>Have to try and do all my development on an EC2 instance now
Kill me
I'd be fine with a Linux laptop, building headlessly is going to be a nightmare unless IntelliJ has an equivalent to VS Code remote
>>
I work for a big company with my team being a sinking ship. (Team isn't going anywhere, vital to the company) but we're hemerroging members out of nowhere. I'm not sure if I should stay or go. People's been hitting me up left and right with shit I have no idea about and I don't have the resource to tackle them.
>>
>>100145235
wtf... i thought you just got to walk around getting lunch all day and look out highrise buildings??
>>
>>100146427
just use vs code then
>>
>>100144547
good morning!
>>
>>100145475
This would honestly be retarded if an employer did this. It shouldn't take long for someone with C++ experience to come up to speed with new C++ standards
>>
>>100146190
>>100144395
If he really acts like this then why won't his employees just change their jobs?
>>
>>100146473
If tesla is on your resume you can work anywhere
I imagine some will degrade themselves because they worship elon
>>
>>100146190
people do it for the street cred so you can go on and work for someone similarly big and finally end up with a cushy job at a small sized business with a good wage. Its all a scam.
>>
>>100146434
then again, this happened to me twice. first time I stayed for a year and they wouldn't hire any good juniors and I got so fed up and quit. now's the second time but I have a feeling hiring is going to be extremely fucking slow.
>>
>>100146491
>If tesla is on your resume you can work anywhere
Nah not really - maybe 5 years ago this was true. Now the Tesla/Elon brand rep is taking a massive nosedive. I worked there from 2016-2019.

Fun fact - I 100% believe the story in the OP's pic. I personally saw Elon fire 2 people in my time there. The most memorable was when a software eng manager was helping set up the sensors on the Model 3 production line. They were supposed to automatically stop whenever a human/person came in front of the car moving down the line. Elon asked the guy (keep in mind this was at like 2AM) if it was all working. The guy said "I am not sure, I just loaded a new build on it right now, but it was before". So Elon walks in front of the car moving down the line. it doesn't stop automatically and *lightly* taps Elon on the shins/knees and then stops. Elon blows a gasket - screams at the guy, says "you're fucking done here" and his 2 bodyguards literally escort the guy out of the factory. I was standing from far enough away to see it all but was just shocked. Crazy times.
>>
>>100146681
I grew up with an abusive drug addicted alcoholic step father. This is 100% the kind of irrational behavior that drug addiction causes you. Elon is a notorious pill head
>>
>>100146681
>>100146741
I believe you guys 100%, there's no way somebody would just pull this shit out of their asses, on the internet, 4chan of all places.
>>
>>100146759
Yeah man, there's a massive conspiracy where everyone is lying to you on the internet. You're the only chosen one that can figure out the truth. You've figured it all out.
>>
>>100144974
You'll see in a week.
>>
>>100146796
You must be 18 to post here
>>
File: 1711730634743928.jpg (222 KB, 1080x1080)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>100146681
Does he just walk around with 2 security guards at all times ready to fire somebody whenever he gets a bug up his ass?
>>
File: g_1710953944085754.jpg (14 KB, 202x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>100145832
>*Declines meeting*
>"sorry that time won't work for me, I have to take my kids to school. Happy to watch the recording and provide a status update message to the team afterwards"
>>
>>100146148
That position basically evolved into data engineering nowadays
>>
>>100146190
Steve Jobs did the same and people still treat him like a messiah. Turns out top 50 company tier CEOs are kind of cunts, color me surprised.
>>
>>100146814
Yeah - at least when I was there he always had 2-3 big guys around him who i assumed were his bodyguards, and then another 2-3 handlers/admins/high execs/whatever the fuck. Kinda like a shark swimming with all the little fish around it.
>>
>>100146042
It's the same for data scientists. The only solution is to shotgun apply and upskill at the same time
>>
>>100146796
People will make up the most outrageous and retarded bullshit just to get that sweet rush from the all (you)s they'll get.
>>
>>100144538
You just hate him cause he's African-American.
>>
>>100146812
You must be 18 to post here
>>
>>100146859
Whaat??? You're telling me not everyone here is a 6'5 ripped gigachad who makes 500k a year, only works 2 hours a week (from home) and still fucks all the office ladies all the time (despite not being in the office)???
>>
>>100147040
>>100146812
>>
When should you be a "senior"?
I graduated at 22 at 2021. (5 year program)
Unemployed at 22 at 2022.
Employed as a junior at 23 at 2023
Company hopped and starting from junior position (know probably less than I did a year ago) at 24 at 2024.
Now I'm just figuring out how to get my fucking life together. My current team is another sinking ship so I'm planning on jumping but I'm just getting tired of starting from scratch, have a shit onboarding experience, know fucking nothing a few months later and yet have a shit ton of responsibilities.
>>
>>100145187
AI art?
>>
>>100147062
The senior flowchart is very easy
YoE > 0.5 ? Yes: Senior, No: Junior
>>
I have an interview for a C++ job but am more comfortable with C#, should I use C# for the interview questions?
>>
>>100147086
I should've been senior in my previous role but they're cheap asses and only have one senior per team. It really can't be that short, right? lmao.
I should've gone to the coding field but my dumbass went into systems support so my first role was a ServiceNow analyst and my current role is a Salesforce Admin, so what the fuck type of job do I even search for now?
>>
>>100142268
https://teachyourselfcs.com/#distributed-systems
>>
>>100146841
Can someone elaborate on why DBA evolved into DE? Doesn't DBA imply a singular employee? Why do we need a team of DE's? At my last company we replaced our flaky data pipelines with dbt and once the migration was over the DE's didn't do shit. Once the data is represented in a DB your job is done. I'm so confused.
>>
>>100142268
Yeah it's a good book you should read it. The author, Martin Kleppmann, also has a great YouTube channel.
>>
>>100146814
He does, he worries about people trying to kill him (not a joke btw)
>>
>>100144671
they're literally begging you to lie to them

never forget: you're competing agains lying motherfuckers, if you don't lie, you lose.
>>
>>100147239
literally every billionaire has security, especially a south african one
>>
>>100147175
Well you probably fucked something up along the way and users will discover and report errors that need fixing. Users will also hit you up and ask for new data columns, to hide old useless ones, to rename stuff, and so on.
>>
>>100147086
my company hard-requires at least 3 yoe before promoting to senior
but we work on radio-heavy shit implementing ieee standards so it’s maybe understandable
>>
>>100147112
>you need to read papers for distributed systems
nah I don't think so bud, I'm good.
>>
I think I have ADHD or something. I'm starting to really hate corporate work. I keep getting pulled to so much shit that I don't know and I'm getting really fucking frustrated. I'm trying my best but it's so hard when you're willing to cog but nobody's telling you how to fucking cog or if the other cogs will even do their part.

Then you got pulled into cog meetings that you just get information overloaded and you have no idea what they're on about and you're just holy fucking shit....i don't fucking understand any of this fuckkkk stop asking me shit.
>>
>>100147810
I know the feeling anon, I cope by being as slow as possible and talking as little as possible to not draw any attention, just werks
>>
>>100147937
and i swear to god why are they so wordy in emails. I can interpret this shit in like 6 different ways. it's either that or not enough information. make this fucking simple god damn it.
>>
god im giggling so much reading this email chain because someone wrote "f/u" and i went to my coworker and went like lmao look at this and he's just confused and all like "....you know it means follow up, right?"
I'm a little embarassed.
>>
>>100146993
yes
>>
File: 1712095910474656.jpg (67 KB, 631x481)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
OMG IS THAT A FUR BABY I HEAR
>>
File: file.png (470 KB, 600x450)
470 KB
470 KB PNG
>library has emoji in the documentation
>they also use emojis in the changelogs

Why?
Fucking. Why?
Is it the women? It can't be the pajeets because they never use them, and it can't be blacks because they can't read.
Who is it????
>>
>>100144467
CRUD is pure soul.
The 4 fundamental elements with which all software is forged.
>>
WFHers, if you had an apartment with one big living+kitchen room and one extra room, do you put your gaymen desk in the extra room and a smaller desk for work in the living room, or make the extra room the working room?
>>
>>100148293
my goon cave, work room, and living room are one and the same
>>
>>100148293
everything in the living + kitchen room. only bed in the bedroom.
>>
File: 1712524413682753.jpg (114 KB, 693x1024)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
One week shy of two months at first job. Too early to take a day off? Or is that enough time to establish goodwill. I get two days of use it or lose it leave a year, and while it might be smart to use them to buttress a long vacation, I'm a fucking loser with no plans anyway and I kind of just want to take a couple fridays off to drink and play video games.
>>
File: 1713861359485804.jpg (110 KB, 728x843)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
management done a bunch of gay shit the past 2 years for this project im on to try to split responsibility away from me. i still do 99% of the development lol what a joke. no ones competent enough to dev it except me.
>muh tickets
>muh git strategies
retards
>>
Is working in a public space like a cafe or library even allowed at your work?
>>
>>100148476
yeah, i can work anywhere but why would i want to
>>
>>100148497
idk how you guys do it but working area being my sleeping being my gaming area is making me really angsty all the time. i think it's also significantly making me dread since the environment is exactly the same whether i live or die.
>>
>>100148443
it's an extra room, bedroom is separate
>>
do you guys have good mental health resources? my company gives a shit ton of benefits (i guess it's cause no one uses it) for it and while I don't think I'm coocoo, I guess it would be nice to have.
>>
>>100148556
yeah, I never used it, but apparently that's one of the benefits
>>
>>100147779
same, I think teachyourselfcs is overkill for real life
>>
Holy fuck bros I feel so sick to my stomach. Being a newdev sucks. I hate legacy code. I hate java. I hate c#. I hate jquery. I hate 10 year old projects with no comments or documentation using libraries that also have no documentation. I hate feeling paranoid plugging shit into chatgpt to figure out what the fuck is going on because llms are a data security risk. I hate asking questions to team members and getting ghosted. I hate having no direction of what to do. I hate not being able to run code locally because everything is connected to databases and services. I hate being blocked by devops and IT to do anything. This career path fucking blows.
>>
the only thing this job has to do is give me 3 days hybrid and I'd never leave
what am I supposed to do 9 hours in the office with other normalfags, I can't even edge in peace
>>
>>100148620
that's 99% of swe jobs lol. just use your math skills bro!
>>
Should I remove a short stint at a job from my resume? Right out of college I took the 1st job I could and it was awful so I left after 5 months, taking a paycut and working somewhere else for 3.5 years. I don't have a ton of issues getting interviews but they always ask about that short stint and I don't know what to say or if I should just take it off entirely. I usually just say "I was a new graduate and wanted more mentorship than I was getting and [new employer] had a much more involved new graduate program" but I don't know how they take it.
>>
>>100147040
Bro I don't even work in tech!
>>
>>100148223
I pepper my changelogs with emojis.
I'm an arab man.
>Fucking. Why?
Good way to break up indistinguishable walls of text
>>
>>100148620
it does get better, but not because all of the shit you can't control improves. I've been doing this for 10 years and have been coasting for the past 4 since I tryharded the first 6 and learned how to either do it myself or be a fucking pest until I get the attention I needed. as long as you stick your face into every project you can, and read as much code as you can fucking tolerate, at some point you've kinda just seen it all and nothing surprises you. once that happens it gets easy. oh and make an effort to practice expectation management, otherwise people will think you're Jesus when you really don't know shit and that might be the most stressful work situation to be in
>>
>>100144834
If it requires a min of 5 years of experience, there's probably a reason for that. You only bite what you can chew.
>>
>>100148744
i just lucked out early in my career and got put on good projects with good mentors. i try harded and learned the new apis we needed and got good at using the debugger.
>I hate not being able to run code locally because everything is connected to databases and services. I hate being blocked by devops and IT to do anything.
those two are the most damaging things to productivity and understanding things. that's why i oppose any complexity in ci/cd pipelines and everything should be able to run locally with a debugger.
>>
File: young-bill-gates-001.jpg (31 KB, 460x276)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Negotiating 200k for a salary at my next company, 100% remote
>>
>>100145112
>write down what technical achievements I made: services deployed, efficiencies improved, bugs squashed, etc. Something that's measurable.
I don't understand how 90% of this Cohoes be quantifiable. Fixing a formatting error is qualitatively different from resolving a race condition among rats nest legacy microservices but they're both "bug fixes."
>>
>>100148859
*could be
>>
>>100148249
Soÿ moment
>>
>>100148845
Nice larp
>>
>>100145993
my meetings are with a small team and they're short, usually done in 5 minutes so i do pay attention.
>>
can someone explain this
>large component used daily
>no one cares or knows make it whatever the fuck you want
>literally pointless info text no one will ever look at for more than 3 seconds
>5 people crawl out of the woodwork because I fixed a spelling mistake
>>
>>100149143
It's a well known phenomenon called "bike shedding". Look it up.
>>
File: cs1.6.png (42 KB, 160x160)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>100148859
It's more like

>improved stability and scalability by implementing modern design patterns

This isn't exactly *quantifiable* (how does one quantify their contribution to scalability of the platform? How does one quantify scalability?), but it does desceribe the *effect* of your actions.

I could put on my resume:

>Worked primarily with java microservices, maintaining legacy software

But there's no cause-effect, before-after there. All it says is that I had a job with a particular set of responsibilities. Yes, it shows that I worked with java before, and have been exposed to crappy code, but there's a lot of retards out there who can say the same thing
>>
>>100149175
Ah I see what you mean, thanks. I thought you meant you included inline statistics on what you did.
>>
>>100149168
never heard of this but this describes all my technical managers and most discussions ive been in with them. bizarre fixation on linting and sonarqube which i dont care about or even look at.
>>
>>100149336
Linting seems like a bizarre fixation when you have somewhat competent coworkers. The startup I work for hired a bunch of bootcamp grads and they can't be trusted to code without supervision. We desperately need a linter but it would flag every file in our project at the moment. Most people in this industry are retarded
>>
>>100148620
faaaaaaaaaam you make me feel so sick to my stomach.
>>
>>100149376
ive never understood it all. i can format something with a button in my ide if i need to. something about muh git or muh ci/cd? idc. it just gives people something to talk about is all.
>>
>>100148620
>I hate not being able to run code locally because everything is connected to databases and services

I went out of my way to write dockerfiles for our services so I could run them locally. I don't depend on remote databases anymore, I just run a docker compose file and a local version of most of my company's services pop up
>>
>>100149336
Wtf are you on my team? Lol
>>
File: 1643048353648.jpg (23 KB, 723x444)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>forced to start using excel in Teams
>jeetsoft decided to remove a ton of functionality for seemingly no reason
>can't even display my pivot table data correctly because I have no idea where they put the value field settings. you would normally just right click the field and the open would be listed there

the sheer power of women designs and jeet interns at full display
>>
File: lastman.png (98 KB, 576x388)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>100149458
because most devs don't format their code, they're perfectly happy turning in mutilated code as long as they can finish their ticket. They don't care about quality, readability, etc.

Also linters do more than just stylecheck; they'll catch common type errors or pitfalls that the compiler won't. For example, in typescript:

let x: string | undefined = undefined;
let n: number = Number(x);
console.log(typeof(n), n); // number, NaN

When parsing a string to a number, it is permissible to return NaN, because NaN is of type "number", even though it's literally Not a Number.

A good linter will warn you that you should check the output of this operation or the input of the Number function, but the compiler won't. MSVC has a pretty good C++ linter in some places that will warn you when you fail to check the bounds of an array or pointer or if you're using uninitialized variables or if you can replace C standard library functions with the _s safe versions (e.g: memcpy -> memcpy_s or strtok -> strtok_s)
>>
Any Network guys here?
I want to know what's it like doing that kind of work.
>>
File: 1713772531419117.jpg (160 KB, 671x670)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>100149520
they did the needful. thank them for their service.
>>
File: 1713906124365.jpg (32 KB, 480x484)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>100145432
>>100144859
>hire a person with zero tech experience (and also zero IQ) to hire for a tech-heavy role
>doesnt do a very good job at it
woooooooah dude
>>
File: IMG_3989.jpg (31 KB, 436x436)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>100145427
I see the complex system but it’s a massive dildo that crushes millions of hamsters into paste and launches scoopfuls into the ocean

Now what
>>
File: sshot-119.jpg (274 KB, 653x486)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
https://restofworld.org/2024/tsmc-arizona-expansion/

American tech workers are garbage?
>>
would taking a data engineering job after 2 years of being a full stack software dev be a career suicide?

the market is kinda shit but I'm not sure if a pivot is worth it vs just being unemployed and grinding leetcode and stuff
>>
>>100150000
Sounds like the Taiwanese managers are shit leaders who issue stupid orders.
>>
>>100150029
You dont get to become the #1 chip manufacturing company by a wide margin by issuing "stupid orders."
>>
>>100150000
>>100150029
>Hire engineers who know more than you so they can think on what's best
>Disapprove when they do exactly that
Never understood bosses/management that acted like this
>>
>>100149376
>it would flag every file in our project
The answer is pre-commit hooks. Those only affect the actual changes, not the entire file or repo.
I can't recommend them enough.
>>
>>100149534
you can have that turned on with vscode though
or whatever spyware ide you use
>>
File: 1713907268653.jpg (159 KB, 1080x1076)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
Sirs I am thinking we are restarting
>>
>>100150040
Did Intel managers bitch about the same thing when they were market leaders? Is TSMC’s position unchallengeable? Do big stupid companies have insane amounts of inertia despite vast rot? Next you’re gonna tell me Microsoft mUsT be dOiNg SoMeThInG rIgHt
>>
>>100150155
hes just gaslighting to get government gibs to hire more indians
>>
>>100150155
The problem was not simply that they had too many people but that they made a profoundly simple app in a way that required that many people due to fucking retarded architectural decisions.
>>
File: 1687767210147768.jpg (55 KB, 1008x720)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I can choose to come to the office tomorrow which I've been absent for 3 weeks and possibly do some work for like an hour
Or I could stay at home, roll for new girl in genshin and probably do nothing at all except scrolling and nutting.
Also tomorrow is gonna be rainy as fuck and I don't have an umbrella.
Hmm...
>>
Hey guys, the US FTC just put out a rule banning non-competes in the entire country and having them all expire on the day this comes out other than for senior executives aka people in the C suite so none of us.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2024/04/ftc-announces-rule-banning-noncompetes
I expect this might get challenged but this is a good thing if anyone was afraid they couldn't leave for one reason or another.
>>
File: 1708631619183496.jpg (113 KB, 1024x1024)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>100144395
>Fired last Monday
>Find application and apply
>Get phone call and get good response from recruiter
>Get set up for interview
>Interview went well
>Didn't get it because "while he did a great job interviewing, the other guy just had a little bit more experience"
I knew that was too good to be true. Last couple of job hunts lasted almost two years. Back to the 2026 plan.
>>
>it's a customer is making unscheduled late night changes so on call get paged for servers that nobody is sure if they're in production episode
>>
>The man who killed Google Search
>https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40133976
looks like everyone is getting tired of indians in tech and their bullshit
>>
Is making my resume orange so it literally stands out dumb
>>
>>100150205
Intel managers got drunk off of being #1 and then the lost badly.
>>
>>100144859
They can and they do
There are people with masters interning
>>
File: g_1713792136358852.jpg (11 KB, 252x212)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>100150234
>>100150155
Their data science team (if it exists) must be horrible. The weekly suggested playlist with song recommendations is so bad I can't even understand how it recommends me that music. Even YouTube does better music recommendations.
>>
File: IMG_1068.jpg (49 KB, 750x692)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
My lead looks like Phil Fish I swear to god
>>
>>100150260
That's nice, now there is no reason to not side hustle
>>
>>100150498
cope1
>>
File: IMG_0630.jpg (54 KB, 635x665)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>100150498
Anon they have an entire team of engineers dedicated to just the fast forward and rewind buttons
>>
gonna ask for 20% raise tomorrow, I either get it, or they're head hunting starting next week
>>
>>100150260
Good news for tech workers, great news for people working in healthcare. Finally some good news. Hope it gets upheld by the supreme court, and hopefully other courts rule that nonprofits and not-for-profits are also subject to the ban on noncompetes.
>>
how do you accept responsibility on behalf of someone who blatantly disregarded process without throwing them under the bus while also not making yourself look incompetent?
>>
>>100150672
You don't.

They fucked up, why are you taking the blame?
>>
>>100150766
He is dating my sister, and I don't want him to lose the job for obvious reasons.
>>
>>100150620
can you recommend me after you lose it?
>>
>>100150766
because I'm the one facing the customer
>>
>>100150498
i never understood why any of those music services exist when youtube already has everything for free
>>
>>100150870
Bitrate autism, yt app cant play in the background by default, sometimes normal videos get mixed in a playlist, offline mode, sometimes its hard to find complete albums on yt if your music is weird
>>
>>100150234
This. Software has unlimited potential for complexity. You can end up with entire teams of people maintaining a service to automatically zip files. This is actually a fairly common thing in most companies these days and via careful application of internal politics these services will be labeled "critical" and no other zipping can be done manually and especially not automatically.
It's pretty crazy when you step back and think about it for more than a second.
>>
>>100148454
only take time off between Chiristmas and Ne year's
>>
>>100148575
Probably for the best
If it scares people away from CS, we have less competition
>>
WHY DO REMOTE COMPANIES WANT ME TO WORK ON RDP SYSTEMS WHEN THEY HAVE TERRIBLE LAG
NO ITS NOT MY LOCATION WHATEVER SERVER SYSTEM THEY HAVE SUCKS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I HATE WORKING THOUGH MOLASSES
>>
>>100148223
>it can't be blacks because they can't read.
t. never spent time around them
i put emojis into our test data to catch utf-8 mishandling
>>
>>100151116
i do everything locally now on my home desktop. i hate vms/rdp. in addition to latency/timeouts they also commonly do security-related things to the vms that cripple their I/O performance.
>>
>>100151116
They don't let you ssh?
Just use ssh and get good at vim.
>>
>>100151033
That's exactly when you shouldn't. Everyone's offline so no one knows you're just playing Factorio.
>>
>>100151228
because security or whatever sysadmin's wonderful requirements are.
>>
>>100151240
>OpenSSH is less secure than fucking RDP
Lol. It's always funny to see the insanity corp IS comes up with at other people's companies.
>>
>>100151236
this lol never take those days off except maybe one or two. back when i worked in office most of my pto was just used random days i felt like leaving early. or taking a 3 day weekend.
>>
>>100151267
well to be clear I CAN SSH from my local to the linux servers that we deploy to.
however they want all dev work to be done on an RDP system
>>
India won.
>>
>>100150989
Unemployed
>>
>>100150260
This is generally a good thing but it means more competition to get jobs. Hopefully that balances out with more openings created from people leaving.

>>100150508
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/ftc_gov/pdf/noncompete-rule.pdf
> The final rule defines “non-compete clause” as “a term or condition of employment that
> prohibits a worker from, penalizes a worker for, or functions to prevent a worker from
> (1) seeking or accepting work in the United States with a different person where such work
> would begin after the conclusion of the employment that includes the term or condition; or
> (2) operating a business in the United States after the conclusion of the employment that includes
> the term or condition.”
Your employer can still require you to not simultaneously work for both them and someone else.
>>
>>100151287
NTA but you do know you can proxy through SSH, right?
>>
>>100144395
I really hope this isn't real
>>
>exceed every criteria employer is looking for in a job posting
>interview goes well
>still rejected
it's so over
>>
I only watch tutorials from asians, old ugly women and white guys who are fat and dont smile
For some reason everyone else has low quality information
>>
Hello as someone who has a bachelors with a major in political science and minor economics, how hard would it be for me to get a business analyst or product owner job?
>>
>>100151518
not going to happen
too many H1-Jeets
>>
>>100151532
Nobody wants jeets in social roles with their stink and broken english
>>
>>100151547
Fuck you pig fucker

>>100151532
Hey don't blame us for working harder than you white cucks
>>
>>100151607
Thats saar to you benchod
>>
Help. My boss keeps inviting me to his house warming party and I really do not want to go. Is this not an abuse of power? I felt pressured to agree so I said yes thinking I was just going to pop in, say hi to all my coworkers, maybe eat food for 20 mins and then leave but then he just messaged me a whole as gauntlet schedule of games and normie shit that requires all who attend to participate. Please, I don't want to do this. Leave quasimodo(me) in the bell tower. I know it's a bitchy and dramatic thing to say but I think I might actually literally quit because of this.
>>
>>100151547
L-1As want them.
>>
>>100151393
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
truw maybe I can suggest this to sysadmin
>>
>>100151620
Dogfucker, we worked our asses off to get to where we are and now some white boy is complaining that he needs to work as hard as us asians.
Sorry whitey but if you want to find a tech job you need to do internships, build projects, learn data structures and algo and network on linkedin
>>
>>100151518
Impossible
>>
>>100151607
Good morning saar
>>
>>100151631
>doesn't know how to use the tools at his disposale
fucking retard
>>
>>100151654
you will never be american
>>
>>100151696
>>100151718
Why would I wanna be american when we asians dominate the top positions of american society.
We asians have the highest iq, best performance and highest incomes.
It's us asians who innovate in america not europeans.
>>
>>100151778
You arent asian you are a pajeet and the only reason were let in is to drive wages down
>>
>>100144671
You could be in my shoes: I have the 5 years experience and I've been out of work since Christmas. I'm fucking doing DoorDash to pay bills.
>>
>>100151621
You should show up. Just let him know ahead of time that you had plans for the afternoon or evening and that you'll only be able to stay for an hour or so.
He probably will not believe you, but he also probably won't car, because this is the socially accepted way to get out of long social engagements.
>>
>>100151795
No we don't, we have the highest average income in america
Maybe worry about those latinxers
>>
>>100151713
humanity has declined.
>>
File: 1512878095448.jpg (40 KB, 565x510)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>been at a job for less than 3 months
>like my team
>like my boss
>dislike my boss's boss
>hate that the job is super high stress
>dislike being a react monkey
just got an offer for 12% less money (100k to 88k) as a backend dev but with stock options currently valued at 35k and probably a slightly less stressful place

want to change but hate change and feel like i'm betraying my team
feel so conflicted, what would anons do?
>>
Most of my colleagues seem extremely checked out. I wouldn't care except I've had to pick up their slack to get a dumb project over the line because it was underestimated and I had nothing better to do.

>All of them use mouse jigglers or AFK for most of the day
>Most of them don't say anything unless directly asked in meetings
>Except one who tries to fill every moment with pointless bikeshedding

These people seem like they won't get fired. One of them has raised 30 pull requests in 2 years. What are some ways I can fuck with them?
>>
>>100151948
same at least half of my co workers clearly do ~2 hours of work a week now. im expecting at least a few layoffs this year.
>>
>>100148223
Its called gitmoji. I dont have a problem with that because it makes it easier to locate listed commits. gitmoji.dev
>>
Nickkers who decides to call it quits then go to plumbing, mining, or construction will be in a very rude awakening that their worksite will be filled with hostile seniors.
>>
>>100149464
based, i do the same, in some cases i fake a backend on postman where i need specific stuff I cannot get with the local databases.
>>
>>100150205
> Intel
way to prove their point retard.
>>
>>100152021
False. I'm doing an internship in a shipyard (my field is EE), full of people that learned a trade (mechanics, electricians, solderers, etc) and all the people there are cool as fuck, always teaching stuff from their trade. Most people like to talk about what they do and how they do it. If your communication skills sucks it doesn't matter the field.
>>
>>100151810
It's weird how America works. Party hosts are obligated to invite everyone and attendees are expected to say yes even if the host doesn't want them there and the attendee doesn't want to go.
>>
>>100151810
This
>>100151621
Autism
>>
>>100151621
Those parties are extremely beneficial if you are not a sperg. I Have gotten better jobs because of them, due to knowing someone with good contacts, or due to the boss liking you. Just go, you will not regret it, I think
>>
>>100151621
im old so i skip those and don't care. if you're that worked up over it and your job just go.
>>
>>100151713
Maybe he's stuck with something like putty.
>>
File: 1713895911546187.jpg (132 KB, 1024x683)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>100151846
>>
File: 1713751312193692.png (37 KB, 221x221)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
sirs just tested my mouse jiggler for 2h and teams kept me online all the time.
I often get assigned 1 week for some brainlet task but i already developed bash scripts for that. Somedays i finish my work in 10 min then need to worry abotu teams status all day.
>>
>>100152401
Good, get that setup asap before you develop a tick like me. I was at a diner today and I literally caught myself trying to move an imaginary mouse.
>>
>>100146491
Sort of
Tesla SWEs aren't held in particularly high regard like FAGMAN, but it's better than working at literally who career wise
>>
Starting to transition into more TL duties and not sure if I really enjoy the extra responsibility lmao
>>
>almost two months in
>normalfag facade quickly falling apart
god FUCKING dammit no I don't give a shit about your after offices or sports or harry potter
just let me do my job in peace, is that too much to ask for?
>>
>>100151904
>stock options currently valued at 35k
stocks should be valued at $0
doubly so if they're options
triply so if they're RSUs
>>
>>100152476
Your job involves talking to people. If people don't want to talk to you then you can't do your job correctly. You are asking for too much.
>>
>>100152486
why
t. genuinely clueless
>>
>>100152493
you're illiterate and a retard, I'm sorry you had to find this way anon
>>
>>100151904
how old are you?
if you're young (20s), tough it out. You'll learn to adapt and be better off for it. If you're in your 30s or 40s take the easier thing.
>>
File: 1713921124193.jpg (135 KB, 1098x757)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>100152476
what did you just say about hairy potter???
>>
>>100152561
honestly feel like remaining is the easy choice tho change is hard
>>
>>100152518
options are worth nothing if you don't exercise them
RSUs hold you hostage until they're vested and are worth nothing until then
actual stock is a preference, if your work doesn't have direct impact on the company's perceived value your income shouldn't be tied to it (and of course, if the company goes bust those stocks are worth nil)
>>
>>100152518
you should look more into what options are but they give you the option to buy the stock at a price
If you have an option with a strike price of $10 and the stock goes to $15, you make money since you can make 5 bucks on each share you buy
But if you have the same option and the price goes to $9 the stock options are worth literally 0 dollars
>>
>>100144499
Your current company is burning to the ground right now. You need to get out
T consultant that does turnarounds
>>
>>100152659
>>100152672
well I don't actually know the details but it's an option (or maybe an rsu) for 10000 shares of stock at $2 and while it's unlisted their last investment round valued the stock at $5.5
of course I'm aware it's a gamble, valuations can go up or down or to zero especially for unlisted companies but at face value it looks good
>>
Uhhhhh Josh?
>>
>>100145158
What did your grinding webdev entail? Well-paying but boring doesn't sound too bad.
>>
>>100152721
>unlisted
you’re literally getting paid in promises
>>
File: 1711856695132712.webm (961 KB, 720x1280)
961 KB
961 KB WEBM
gen x is starting to retire
>>
>>100150672
Blame someone else. Preferably someone no longer working there.
>>
File: 1701296855514844.jpg (56 KB, 600x497)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>co-worker is brining in fancy custom donuts for our team tomorrow
comfy Wednesday incoming
>>
>join FAGMAN recently after working at a normal fortune 1000 company
>everyone with any authority seems totally deranged
>Senior managers' entire job is to walk up to people's desks randomly and give them an impossible deliverable due by EoD
>Every "request from high up" with a "hard deadline" is literally impossible, deadline is never met even 1 out of 10 times
Is this normal?
>>
>>100152401
>jiggler
>teams
lol
when I worked for a company that used teams I would put myself into a call with no one in it, set my status to available instead of in a call, and I would never get set to away because I was in a call
>>
>>100151397
>big boss finds stammering nerd, asks some ML questions
>stammering nerd can't answer some simple questions in a reasonable manner - such as "i dunno, not my area, ask joe"
>nerd gets fired
>nerd TRIES TO GO AROUND HIS BOSS'S BOSS'S BOSS
>nerd is humiliated
don't see the problem
>>
why's it so hard to find senior devs with the right experience? we cant spend years training someone.
>>
>>100153002
train them or pay them or stop bitching. you want someone with an advanced and very specific skillset. it's not a charity nigger.
>>
>>100153002
your company doesn't offer enough incentives
>>
>>100152961
idk i work 2 microseconds per year and make 8000k
>>
>>100151904
we lost some good team members a while ago
those who remained forgot about them 2 days later
>>
>>100152990
put some effort into your bait dude
>>
>>100153042
speak clearly and skip the ACKSHULLY when your boss asks you a question, faggot
>>
>>100153045
you don't even know what happened so shut your mouth you ebin troller
>>
>>100153060
ok poojeet
>>
>>100153060
and you do? hypocrite.
>>
>>100146993
South Nigger then.
>>
>>100152990
>>100153045
anon, this is the tech WORKERS thread, not the tech CEO dick sucking contest.
there are multiple threads like that every day in this board, just check the catalog if you need a big dick to suck
>>
File: 1677547391665780.jpg (66 KB, 612x574)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
you know your job is getting desperate to retain you when you suddenly start getting "team bonding sessions" where they take your small team out for activities you get to pick and they foot the bill
>>
>>100153034
not true i still seethe about some of my former coworkers years later. but for the normal/positive coworkers yeah instantly forgotten.
>>
>>100153183
have you tried telling them to pay you money instead
>>
>>100153183
not sure. we had those right before they fired a bunch of people. they even fired the woman in charge for that shit lmao
>>
>>100153183
nope you just have a busy body manager somewhere
>>
>>100153167
all wageniggers must hang. hearing you whiny overpaid retards would make anyone support serfdom
>>
>>100153202
my company has already laid off close to 30% since march 2023 and we're a small company. I've survived close to 4 waves of layoffs now so I'm not too worried, my role is more secure than most due to what I do
>>
>oh no my boss asked me "what am i paying you for" and i couldn't answer, and then he just fired me. wtf
>>
>>100153224
neets are so pathetic
go ask your mom for more spare change to buy tendies retard
>>
>>100146846
Steve was a cunt, no doubt about it. But Musky man is a dumb cunt.
>>
>>100153247
i pay for my mom's tendies because i love her. lol imagine being a wagie
>>
>>100153224
>NEET exposes itself as a pathetic rich people bootlicker
you will never be rich lmao
>>
>>100152872
no he's literally getting paid in the non-binding privilege to purchase parts of the company at a very low cost
>>
>>100153252
Jobs could get away with the attitude because he actually had a very good understanding of how formal socialization actually worked. It was a negative but he was good enough he could afford it.
In reality he was actually pretty careful and thoughtful and planned ahead, people just like to focus on some of the insults kind of like they do with Linus Torvalds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqPrUmVz-o
>>
>>100153330
>It was a negative
unfounded assertion detected
>>
>>100153330
lol that question was pure seethe
>>
>>100148223
>It can't be the pajeets because they never use them
I knew a jeet that did. He apparently did very well in the interview, but soon as he started it was obvious he knew nothing. He started using emojis and being "cute" and stuff. He knew he was in trouble, and was overcompensating. He is of course still working here three years later, somehow.
>>
>>100153354
It's scary how easy it is to empathize with him.
>Get super invested in unique non-free technology
>Company axes it for weird management reasons
It's why I don't touch non-free software even when it's better.
>>
>>100148223
trannies
>>
>>100153389
i don't empathize with that nerd one bit
>UH ACKSH-
shut up
>>
File: 1694635836446467.jpg (6 KB, 204x192)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>tfw company ID badge is too heavy
>>
>>100144439

imagine you think musk is a genius then proof of this comes out
>>
If I did a technical-focused interview for a company and they contacted me for a second interview, should I expect it to be more on the HR side of things?
>>
How do you guys deal with people who don't care about their job? As in they always do the shittiest bare minimum enough to not get fired
>>
>>100153658
Depends on how long the humiliation ritual goes for. If this is interview 2-out-of-5 you could be in for another technical interview with a different person.
>>
>>100153733
First interview was a panel interview with five people.
This one is with two of those five.
>>
>>100153703
become one of them is my jaded opinion
>>
Gonna do my hilarious bit where I end my standup update with "also I'm going to finally catch that BLASTED hedgehog"
>>
>go on linkedin
>see H1-Jeet begging for a job after getting laid off so he doesn't get deported
love to see it
I hope more are suffering
>>
>>100152385
Hahahahaha
>>
>>100152476
Hi Johnathan. Don't worry we all know you're autistic.
>>
>>100153002
It does not take years to learn how AWS works. If you really have your panties in such a bunch ill learn it in a month and lie about having experience in it, just for you, so your bullshit make work uncompany can get your worthless product out the door 10% faster.

God I fucking hate this industry and corporate America. I hope we get nuked.
>>
>>100144395
hey, someone working for YouTube: why is this kid's channel showing a porn livestream?
>https://youtube.com/@TilesTopiaHop?si=6-2XNUbZXeBUdyYv
>>
>>100152476
Make it a habit to drink a bit before you go to work just like I did.
>>
>>100153224
Good morning sir
>>
>>100153703
I am one and I'm proud of it. I've started openly bragging about it too. Fuck useless corporate niggerware, I hope they fire me.
>>
>>100154196
>SIRS OF G, PLEASE ESCALATE THIS HIGH PRIORITY TICKET TO THE CEO OF YOUTUBE ASAP OK
>>
>>100154196
>he doesn't know
>>
>>100153703

you mean "doing their job" and not "sucking corporate peen for nothing?"
>>
>>100154237
>>100154285
Enlighten me then. Why should YouTube censor, for example, racial realism, but shoving porn in kids' faces is totally A-OK? Because of the usual suspects, huh?
>>
File: 1713932202131.png (208 KB, 600x390)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
I'm having major regrets about my career choice 1 year in. I actually had a gun in my mouth today, so
I think its time to leave tech, but fuck going back for more school. I just don't want to use my brain anymore. Wat do
>>
>>100154320
if you already know how to code and don't mind making around $25/hr for the next few years then become an electrician
if you make journeyman and work on PLCs you'll make good money and never have to be around disgusting pajeets
>>
>>100154314
>SAAAR, DO THE NEEDFUL, THEY TAKE DOWN MY CASTE TIER VIDEOS SO THEY SHOULD TAKE DOWN SINFUL PORN TOO!!!1
>>
>>100154320
Trades are in high demand and that's not gonna change anytime soon.
>>
>>100154314
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think it's hilarious that twg is so jeeted that people are using it for reporting jewtube shit
>>
Is it bad if you still ask questions to more senior devs as a mid or senior developer?
>>
>>100154320
quit being gay its just work. no ones even trying except you.
>>
>>100154621
if my supposed senior peers never asked any questions to me that would be a major red flag that they don't know/do anything.
>>
>>100154320
IT is there and you don't need to think much. just use google and have some common sense.
hell, you could make money installing security cameras for boomers...
>>
>>100154621
No, it's never bad to learn more.
>>
>>100154314

>racial realism

you're so insufferably stupid i bet you own a 13-50 tshirt
>>
>>100154621
Asking a question I determine is stupid is never good
Asking a question where I concede the answer is bullshit is never bad
>>
File: 1712646408537543.png (52 KB, 402x211)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
the oil rush is over and the depression has set in
>>
>>100155225
yeah the fallout of the tech bubble is going to be something

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.