[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sysadmin.jpg (348 KB, 1044x1080)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
High IQ edition

previous: >>100134049

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Emby/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, Ampache/Navidrome to replace Spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your tech skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Cool stuff to host: https://gitlab.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted
RouterOS's: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
https://reddit.com/r/datahoarder
https://www.labgopher.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LHvT2fRp7I6Hf18LcSzsNnjp10VI-odvwZpQZKv_NCI
Cheap disks: https://shucks.top/ & https://diskprices.com/

Remember:
RAID protects you from DOWNTIME
BACKUPS protect you from DATA LOSS
>>
File: IMG_20240426_040144_198.jpg (2.78 MB, 2016x1512)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>100184497
post rack
>>
>>100181347
>>100181347
Yeah it's probably me. I was just kind of looking into it before but I knew I had time before I ran out of storage space. And the more I looked into it, I realized that I probably don't really want or even need a NAS for my specific needs. So I'm asking again to see if my assumption is right.

>>100181620
I totally understand the idea of having a redundancy drive, but like I said, all I'm storing is movies and TV shows. And while it would suck to lose 22tb of stuff, I could always just download it again. I feel like people who have NASs are doing a lot more than just streaming movies... which is all I'm doing. I'm not doing any intense work on my PC and I'm not sharing my PLEX with anybody either. I'm just trying to understand what advantages I would have with a NAS over a JBOD and my PC. So far I've seen redundancy through RAID and faster storage speeds. But do I need fast speeds if I'm just storing and streaming movies? Just seems like overkill for me and for anybody else who's ONLY just steaming movies through plex.

Also seems much more expensive as far as HDDs go. Wouldn't I need to buy two (2) 22tb HDDs for a NAS if I wanted redundancy? and if one fails I would have to buy a third? so I'm spending $600+ on 22tb of storage when I could have 64tb of storage (with no redundancy) with a JBOD. also couldn't I just use something like backblaze to backup all of my stuff? it's only $9 a month. which I probably wouldn't do anyway since like I said, everything is unimportant to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: pr0n.jpg (100 KB, 1457x535)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>100184497
>Security through obscurity
BASED OP
Bros, If I have two kinds of storage devices on my Proxmox nodes, should I use the fastest for Ceph or for Proxmox itself?
>>
>>100184555
nice
>>
>>100182607
Also kinda interested
>>
I have az900, ms900, az104 going to get az305. Which one would employers like next?
>>
>>100185734
Cisp
>>
File: ogey.png (9 KB, 259x65)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
I changed a network setting a got locked out of my server
>>
I can get a refurbished Dell PowerEdge R820 2U server with 4x Xeon E5-4620 (total of 24 cores, 48 threads) and 16 x 16GB DDR3 ram (total of 256GB ram) for $975 AUD ($638 USD).

I know it's an old as fuck machine, but does it represent decent enough value for money? Worth picking up as a render farm?
>>
>>100185774
Its okay since you have local access, right?
>>
>>100185785
13th generation would cost $700, with 56 threads and 128-256 GB of RAM, and with less power consumption / noise.
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 550x966)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>100185995
I do but I really didn't want to get up and hook it up to a monitor
fortunately it seems to have randomly fixed itself
>>
>>100185785
nice ram amount but not sure how this would be better than a Threadripper or SkylakeX setup giving your use case
>>
>>100185785
I paid around $500 for my single 32 thread xeon with 256GB of ddr4 ecc memory build
>>
File: 1703166299847613.gif (1.26 MB, 360x270)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
>>100185785
>4 CPUS
>400W (just CPUs)
>24 cores
>no AVX2
>almost a grand
Did Australia stop importing computers or something?
>>
fellas i'm having some autistic ideas to revamp my whole thing entirely, talk me out of it.

right now i have a hypervisor running pfSense and TrueNAS, with some jails as services. i'm thinking of reducing that to just one kernel and have each service as a container, one as a firewall, one as ZFS NAS, and everytime i need a new service i'd just spin up a new container. problem is i've never even touched a container, so i don't know if i can even do something like PCIe Passthrough to a container, or is that even applicable? i want to maintain the logical structure of my current setup and not run any service directly on the host, but these services also need to have direct access to PCIe devices. am i in for pain?
>>
>>100186466
We have a teensy tech sector and thus also a very small market for server-grade hardware; what exists (or is decommissioned and released to the second hand market) therefore commands an enormous premium for homelabbers.

And it fucking sucks. I’m looking for a home server mobo at the moment, and the one company that sells Asrock Rack to end-users has 0 in stock of anything worth buying and a “backordered” list that hasn’t updated in months. For Supermicro though it’s even worse, and I would literally have to order from the USA via Wiredzone or something ( and then get assfucked by shipping costs, GST, and the atrocious exchange rate).
>>
>>100184555
post crack
>>
File: 1700623495340418.png (190 KB, 220x220)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>100184497
>High IQ edition
guys i have a question but im low iq fag.

i have a linux box in my living room.
i want to use my local computer to somehow boot (pxe boot? network boot?) into a drive that is attached to it. i want to basically install and boot into windows on that attached drive from my local pc. iventoy only uses isos to network boot and the remote's machine drives aren't exposed. heck idc if i can't install over the network i will install it locally then just boot over the network. how do i do this?
>>
>>100186896
What about chink hardware
>>
I'm planning to buy an HPE MicroServer for my work (we're 6 users), do you have another alternative recommendation ?
I need a Windows (for SMB and printers sharing), Docker (for Seafile) a Windows VM and a Debian VM (for testing and demoing software). Should I put everything on top of Windows Server or go with Proxmox ?
>>
>>100181931
>I noticed earlier there's a newer DeskMini B760 model and I could get an i3-12100 for it
why not get a 12400T which is literally what you need
>>
>>100187561
New or Used?

New, I wouldn't know where to buy anything and expect it arrive + be brand new + actually work, and anything we order would probably work out at >70% the cost of just ordering it from the USA anyway.
Used, probably all of the above (but replace "brand new" with "not stolen").
>>
Anyone can recommend any network monitoring app? About the flow of bandwidth on the connected pc's etc.
>>
>>100187018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZbQH_1sj8
>>
File: rack.png (846 KB, 1313x983)
846 KB
846 KB PNG
>>100184555
>>
>>100189381
>>100184555
?
what am i supposed to be seeing here? misalignment?
>>
Would it be a bad idea to make a server out of an old thinkcentre or Fujitsu. I want it for basic stuff like a nas/media server and maybe light vpn and networking.

Right now I can get one for 100-150€ with an i5 7gen and 8gb ram. They dont have a lot of storage though so I will need to be creative there
>>
I have the opportunity to get a Nutanix G4 with something like 750GB memory and two gold Xeons but no disks. It's a 4 node too with 10Gig ethernet.. problem is I don't know what I'd even do with the thing and I'd have to spend for the disks. Seems stupid to pass it by when it's free.
>>
i'm supposed to help someone set up a NAS. It's a small business, my friend and 5 other people work there. he says he is running out of space on his 2TB HDD so i figure it should be enough with a 4TB drive. i have a couple questions if anyone would care to give me advice:

should I buy 2 4TB drives, for redundancy? idk if it's worth it because i don't think it's realistic that his HDD will magically corrupt some data, no? and it if phisically breaks, then both drives will break (if the case falls down the stairs or something)

any comment or advice on cloud storage? be it for transfer or backup storage, instead of 2 physical drives
>>
>>100189462
Somebody started the meme of posting "tease" pictures of his rack a few threads ago.
My shit is very misaligned though
>>
>>100189516
Budget dependent.
Yes two disks, setup RAID bro. But you need a backup before you build the array because you will need to restore data to it. Don't be a noob about it.
Then setup a backup, at minimum another NAS with a job running daily.. even better to have multiple jobs with a cloud based backup.
>>
>>100189526
Best fix it now before the rack gets full and becomes a pain in the ass. That missed space could result in something not fitting later down
>>
>>100189381
nice, post the other corners
>>
File: rack-alignment.png (453 KB, 730x947)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>100189549
The vertical spacing is good, the case just has short rack ears.
But the rails push it out in the depth direction, which is very annoying but unfixable.

>>100189549
Here is another angle
>>
>>100189547
i was thinking of buying a synology thing from amazon, it handles RAID by itself right? they have things in my budget (600-1000) euros, i want something simple and that i don't ever have to give any maintenance to 5 years down the line or whatever

also for cloud provider, any recs? i was just going to tell him to get the dropbox paid subscription
>>
>>100189640
Yes Synology are good NAS devices, I would recommend if you wanted hassle free experience. It does build the array for you.

Depends on experience, I'd recommend looking at something like wasabi buckets for storage or if you wanted to use Dropbox you could but would cost more I'd assume.
>>
My managed switch only supports static LAG. I should've gotten a better one that supports LACP, but that's for later.

Port #2 is the LAN link that all my devices are connected to. I have the LAG setup for port 2, 3 & 4. This means I should have 3000M in bandwidth now right?
>>
>>100189634
i dont understand why the handle bracket has mounting holes in the first place. the entire point of the handle is to be able to pull the server out. its not like it'll ever accidentally slide out on its own
>>
>>100189700
The rack has wheels, next time I move I'm definitely screwing everything in
>>
>>100189758
My rack has wheels and you can lock the wheels. It takes some muscle to slide the rack out. It'll never pull out on its own, but to each their own.
>>
>>100189772
I get your point, but if I'm lifting the whole thing into a moving truck I'd appreciate the extra certainty
>>
>>100188429
oh okay , I just assumed you pay less on stuff from aliexpress and get a quicker delivery simply because china is closer
>>
If it's just being used internally by one or two people would a rasberypi be a good host for a danbooru?
>>
>>100185774
I HATE networking

>>100187084
Go look up ipxe, but the short and long of it is that you need to set up a windows server to manage anything netboot related to windows. The site has a few examples that you can look through since nothing you wrote really makes sense.
Then you also need to tell your router where the netboot file is located on a tftp server, where you implement menus and whatever to pick your netboot target.

>>100189504
The main issue is having numerous (internal) locations for storage. Qnap has some jbod externals that you can connect with a proper pcie card and sff cable. Meaning your computer will see the disks individually instead of being managed automatically, but they're not cheap. Otherwise there are some rare-ish HP sffs that have room for two HDDs.
I think you should be able to get newer than 7th gen or even 16gb for those prices but european used market for this sort of thing always seems to cost more. Also be aware that even though most sff ones might have two-slots expansion slots, they put the x16 slot right next to the psu.

>>100190662
If you already have one lying around, sure. If you have to buy anyway, a used usff would would give you better options for storage and OS. And there's a couple of other options for sbcs now.
>>
>>100190735
Thanks.

It would be cool to have a one complete server but I do have some pi's lying around.

Currently two terramasters (chink shit) being user as a Nas. A pi for network monitoring+hole and another pi I was using for dicking around on ssh/apache
>>
Thanks anon I asked about below 10watts ecc got a link

Anyhows
My current nas is some amd ryzen 6 cores, it had 2 10tb drives 2nvme and 4 othet drives
Power meter at wall says 60watt when just serving and being ready

I went with odroid hc4+ or h4+ the one with n97 something. No ecc but power is 2w when idle

Im gona hook up the odroid for 24/7 and wakeup the big boi when needed for computations
>>
>>100189640
>>100189516
i'm gonna keep talking about what i think i'm gonna do just in case, hope you guys don't consider it shitting up the thread

i think having a mirror doesn't seem that useful. so i'm not going to do RAID1, instead i'm gonna have one disk as NAS storage, and another disk as backup. but it won't be a real time mirror, it will be a security copy of the main NAS disk that gets synced by itself once a week or once a month.

and i'm gonna use this because it's the cheapest and it seems fine, it handles 2 disks like i want and i think i can set it up like i want although i'm gonna check just in case https://www.amazon.com/Synology-2-Bay-DiskStation-DS223j-Diskless/dp/B0C8814GKB/ref=sr_1_4
>>
are there any security concerns to be aware of when storing a .qcow2 disk image on partitioned /home directory on host?
>>
What's a good program for stress testing/"breaking in" new disks? I've got a new 8TB Ironwolf Pro on the way and a spare Toshiba drive to mirror it with and I want to thoroughly test both before adding them to my ZFS pool.
>>
>>100191565
badblocks
>>
/hsg/ please explain to a retard how virtual dis images work. Take a .qcow2 that increase in size over time(unallocated) for example. Let's say I create a 250gb .qcow2 image on a 250gb SSD. Let's say I never use the qcow2 image(nothing written on it) and just delete it. What is actually happening to my physical SSD? Are 250gb's of 1 & 0s being written/overwritten? or is it the same as deleting a tiny .txt file?
>>
>>100191576
that'll do nicely, thanks anon.
>>
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x56c6360d4440] 1 OpenCL platforms found.
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x56c6360d4440] No devices found on platform "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing".
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x56c6360d4440] No matching devices found.
Device creation failed: -19.
Failed to set value 'opencl=ocl:.0,device_vendor=Advanced Micro Devices' for option 'init_hw_device': No such device
Error parsing global options: No such device

why is opencl not working in jellyfin lxc? i have all the rocm / opencl drivers on both proxmox and in the lxc. transcoding works it's just tonemapping with opencl that doesnt
>>
>>100190872
Which pi's what gens
>>
>>100190735
>I HATE networking
You shouldn't hate things that you don't know about, prejudice is bad
>>
>>100184680
Bros help me with this. I want to use the Ceph storage for the VMs for HA
>>
Any schizos out there want to help a sibling out? I'm looking for recommendations for securing vaultwarden as much as is feasible.

So I'm running Vaultwarden as my password manager(it's great btw) but my issue is that my password is incredibly secure but wholly inaccessible. It's 32 bytes fully random, numbers, cased letters, and special characters. It's so inaccessible that I've just been keeping my master in Firefox for the time being and I just pull it from Firefox's password manager and put it in my Brave extension any time I need to unlock it. Yes, I know that's bad, don't worry, it will be changed pretty shortly. I'm intending to change master completely after I decide what I want to do with it but I want to know what you guys have done with your master passwords. I'm thinking of going for an uncommon phrase approach but I figured I'd ask here first cause you guys are like me; paranoid as fuck.
>>
>>100192804
For sure ceph, hypervisors don't use a whole shitload of IO, so you'd be better served by serving the faster storage.
>>
>>100193071
For desktop, use a Yubikey to store the complex password.
For mobile, use fingerprint unlock
>>
>running gitlab on spare computer
>go to git push today
>error host is down
>oh boy
>reboot the box
>error: failure reading sector 0x802 from 'hd0'
>try gparted and fsck both fail to even try to repair the partition table
>eventually just give up and reinstall debian
>after apt-get installing the bare essentials docker containers all just start up like nothing happened
glad that i was using docker this time since it made getting everything going soo much quicker but i sure would like to know wtf caused my partition table to get f'd up like that. its on a ssd but i run it literally 24/7 for months on end should i be adding a cronjob to reboot it every 15 days or something?
>>
>>100193161
>For desktop, use a Yubikey to store the complex password.
Negative, its not a one factor key. I could just put my current password on the yubikey but that would be essentially equally as secure. Imagine if someone who knew what they were doing had possession of my laptop. It would be trivial to get access to the entirety of my digital life. That would arguably be less secure than just keeping it in firefox because then you would need to know it's in firefox instead of just looking at the side of the device.

>For mobile, use fingerprint unlock
Negative, biometrics are a no go for me, dog. I got a key without biometrics.

Also I've got this thing where I'm actively trying to avoid convenience. I don't actually intend to be logged into anything on my phone ever, I'll keep bitwarden on it and will unlock it similarly to how I've done it on the desktop but I even went as far as to choose a USB A version to disincentivize using it on my phone, I'll be using a USB C to A passive adapter if I absolutely NEED to login to anything on my phone.
>>
>>100193197
sounds like a pre-mature hardware problem. the ssd might be failing. if you dont know why it happened it could happen again.
>>
>>100193376
yea think youre right i did a smart report and things aren't looking too hot. i didnt realize i got it 727 days ago thats crazy
https://pastebin.com/WEYDF2wp
>>
>>100193197
>>100193369
I agree with this anon; sounds like a hardware failure of some sort. I would personally not even trust the drive at this point even if smart looks good. I would buy 2 small capacity used enterprise datacenter SSDs and stick them in a RAID1 for your boot drives, it will legitimately cost like 20, 30 dollars, but then you'll get the added benefit of being designed for 24/7 use, having an ass load of TBW on your drive that will almost certainly not be even close to being used up and power loss protection among other things.

I use ones like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325630949634
>>
>>100193487
Meant to say I agreed with this anon:
>>100193376
>>
>>100193476
that's barely 2 years. good SSD's should last 10+ years. What brand was it?
>>
File: sticker (333).png (16 KB, 259x224)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>100193504
512GB of these hunks of poop
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NGZVN1R/
>>
>>100193550
lmao, im not surprised at all. you never cheap out on SSD's
>>
>>100193550
>Total Bites Written (TBW) up to 800TB and Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) 2 Million Hours

See if you can get them to adjust their MTBF to account for your 17500 hours.
>>
>>100193197
hate to be that guy but ZFS may have been of non-zero utility here
>>
>>100193576
yea next time im buying a 256gig good one instead i thought it wouldnt matter too much since i figured it wouldnt be doign too many read/writes but guess i was wrong

>>100193604
lol ill leave a review with my smart stats on there at some point

>>100193727
what would zfs have done to save me in this situation? just curious
>>
>>100193852
You honestly would probably be able to get a return from Amazon. I've nuked a drive before(of my own fault) and asked Amazon if they could authorize a return because a drive is absolutely intended to last longer that the one that I broke lasted. You could make the argument of blatant false advertising because shy of 20000 is nowhere in the realm of 2 million, orders of magnitude off. They'll probably credit your account with what you paid for it. Probably take 15 minutes of your time.
>>
File: sticker2.png (18 KB, 259x224)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>100193921
when i go to the amazon page for it i get

Product support window closed on
March 25, 2024
Ordered on March 25, 2022

i tried going through the customer service section and selecting it but it still took me to a page that said it wasnt eligible for a return
>>
Anyone else seen the odroid h4+ lineup. 2watts idle power 4 sata3 ports, pcie net extension of 4 gbit ports. 48gb total ddr5 sodimm possible.
NAS and general linux device dream, whats the catch
>>
>>100194108
I'd try to live chat online and talk directly to a representative. The automated tools wont refund after service period but you might get lucky and the representative may be able to get a rep who can make an exception, especially if you don't do returns often and/or are a longstanding customer and aren't a dick about it.
>>
Can someone explain the utility of SED (self-encrypting) drives?
It seems to me it's something the drive only does and the OS doesn't really manage or interact with so what's stopping the drive from being read anyway when put in another machine?
>>
>>100194685
The idea is that it encrypts itself at rest and you use a software utility, typically installed on the OS, to unlock the drive. A lot of them don't even show the unencrypted volumes in another computer without decrpyting them, in this scenario you'd need to attempt to interface directly with the flash chips to exfiltrate data but even at that point you would only get encrypted data. They're cool but I've never used one.
>>
>>100194781 (me)
I meant that it won't even show the encrypted partitions, not decrypted partitions.
>>
File: autism.jpg (69 KB, 660x650)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>100193097
But the storage IO on Ceph is limited by the speed of the network right? I don't think I'll be upgrading past 2.5Gb any time soon.
>>
>>100184497
The gay knows, dickhead.
>>
>>100195130
>But the storage IO on Ceph is limited by the speed of the network right

Absolutely. However I am assuming you're talking about the difference between installing in an an nvme SSD vs a SATA SSD, in which case the sata will almost assuredly never be the be the bottleneck to your network speeds, it's far more likely that the CPU would be your bottleneck then almost any SSD boot disk.

If we're talking about hard drives, then don't use hard drives for boot drives. Full stop. It's 2024, there's no reason a boot sector should be on a spinning platter. You can buy DC grade SSDs off of eBay for like 10 dollars and they'll outlast the heat death of the sun if you set it up as a boot drive. That's hyperbolic but the concept stands.
>>
>>100195130
>>100195238
Also by the way, ceph is going to want to have 2.5 if you want to use it in any reasonable capacity. Legitimately just don't even think of ceph if you can't get 10G at a minimum with at least 5 nodes. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, just use a single ZFS pool if you don't have good cluster budget because you will be disappointed.
>>
>>100195265 (me)
>ceph is going to want to have 2.5 if you want to use it in any reasonable capacity.

*Ceph will want to have more than 2.5
>>
>>100194108
Check Adata's warranty info and harass them about it. Though they seem to have scaled down a lot since ssds have 'matured'

>>100194224
Damn, did they just come out with this? Because it solves a lot of typical desires if you don't mind having to populate and enclose it yourself.

Potentially no issue with the H-series. Something even more basic like the M1S seems to have limited OS support, but this is x86 so it shouldn't have too many issues. You'd have to see what others have said about getting the H3 working on OSs that isn't ubuntu.
Main thing is you have to get the fatter power brick if you want to drive spinny boys, but that was true on previous variants too.
>>
File: nijika.png (689 KB, 1600x998)
689 KB
689 KB PNG
>>100195130
NTA but by all means use Ceph if you want to try it out. Ceph is going to be slow compared to ZFS over NFS because its distributed and depending on the clusterfuck of configurations you have to tune for your use case all operations on it are bound by consensus. Even if you have a fast network, each OP will be consuming more CPU cycles than local or NFS because it has to do replication, erasure coding, etc. even scrubbing in the background, monitor elections, and other stuff. PG recover / rebalance can kill IOPS if you leave the defaults and if its too slow it can expose another OSD failing and assblasting a small 3 node/OSD cluster

Not the perfect analogy, but in general its like being in a team of coders and you have to coordinate with everyone before you work on something so nothing is overwritten or have inconsistencies. (As opposed to having one guy people talk to to and take the answer as authoritative)

both can suck just depends which one you are willing to take up the ass

that being said, i still use ceph but for S3. it was too costly for me to use it for proxmox considering the hardware I had to buy

if you want HA might be best to consider doing it at a higher level like reverse proxy, failover database, etc
>>
>>100195130
ceph explicitly reccomends a minimum of 10g dedicated solely for ceph. I have run ceph on 1g and 2.5g and it turns VMs into stop motion and changes your I/O delay on HDDs from a few dozen MS to a few full seconds. even on 10g it's not super fast compared to a local zfs array with SSD caches.

i wouldn't run ceph unless i was really exicited about HA storage and there were people paying me for HA access to it, and then I would be going 25g at least. I don't think HA VMs are worth it at home anyway, just get proxmon on your phone and manually migrate if you need to. I don't think you're often going to be in a position where an entire node goes offline and there ISN'T some other major issue affecting your network anyway, eg a power outage.

>>100195923
>if you want HA might be best to consider doing it at a higher level like reverse proxy, failover database, etc
great suggestions
>>
>>100184497
bump
>>
>>100198156
sucessfully bumped
>>
>>100194224
For some the catch could be 9000 mini-pcs on aliexpress (n100) cheaper more efficient than odroid, but yes those 4 sata ports seem nice, great gadget
>>
File: heheh.jpg (59 KB, 600x760)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>100195238
>>100195265
>>100195274
>>100195923
>>100196125
Thank you anons, very informative. I guess I'll have to stop listening that much to homelab hype jewtubers and go with a ZSF pool. But just for keks, I might try Ceph on my employer cloud infraestructure (it´s a mess, they won't find out)
>>
>>100199031
>homelab hype jewtubers
i never went to youtube for homelab advice in my life
is that a thing now?
>>
What the fuck is this thing?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186156124167
>>
>>100199874
looks like it's from a 1u blade server
>>
>>100199874
idk but should be 1k
>>
Is yunohost used or is it a meme like Gentoo?
I want something that can act as a torrent/seedbox/stream movies to my TV having a gui is important to me
>>
anybody know how to properly set perms for shared directory in Unix? have to set this up for small office. everybody needs their own personal folder and then one Shared directory that everybody can use for swapping info around.

So folder layout is like /Root/Shared and /Root/User1 and /Root/User 2.

ONly issue I have is that if user1 adds a directory to Shared, then when User2 drags it to their User2 folder, it copies rather than moves. You can apply permissions recursively to fix them, but it won't apply to anything added afterward so it's not a perpetual fix it's 2:13 I'm in the office and I'm ded
>>
>>100199874
Damn rare cpu right there
>>
>>100200135
look up umask
>>
ok fags, how do I make sure wireguard on pfsense works from android/laptop when connecting and moving from/between LAN and WAN? currently I have a split horizon DNS but I believe DNS caching causes some issues when changing from 4G to home wireless.
>>
/hsg/ if you had to use a virtual disk solution on a gaming vm for your drives, how would you set it up? Would you simply create one thin provisioned virtual disk and install your OS and games on it, and increase its size as needed, over time? Or would you just estimate about how many games you're likely to install and overprovision one qcow2? any other better options you can possibly suggest?
>>
File: 1712868437737153.jpg (560 KB, 1536x2048)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>>100202552
Yes, I think the better option is to grow up manchild (kek, pwned).
>>
>>100193197
Now slap ansible on that bitch
>>
>>100202567
>that img
>grow up
says the pedo.

also this a general question about performance of virtual disks, I don't even game on vms. just something I started to think about after a read about them in another thread and since /hsg/ are vm wizards thought this was best place to ask.
>>
>>100202552
thin provision everything, always, no exceptions.
>>
>>100202552
>gaming vm
what do you want to play, nethack? just use a normal pc with a decent gpu (a normie pc)
>>
If I transfered a large from from one virtual disk to another virtual disk connected to the same virtual machine would there be a speed difference than moving a file from one partition to another? Is there some latecy because of I/O?

Also does partition a virtual disk hurt its performance?
>>
>>100201025
doesn't this involve a script?
>>
>>100203423
>from one virtual disk to another virtual disk connected to the same virtual machine
Where and how are these stored?
The highest transfer speed is always between two different physical disks, anything else is lower.
>>
>>100204230
They would be both stored on the same nvme SSD. I basically want to know if I should partition one large disk image or use two different virtiovirtual disks. Which would have faster read and write speeds? would they be the same?
>The highest transfer speed is always between two different physical disks
that's interesting. Does this apply to two different virtual disks ont he same drive though?
>>
File: file.png (367 KB, 800x800)
367 KB
367 KB PNG
This new 8-SATA NAS board from CWWK is interesting, but there's no reviews on it because it's too new. Their N5105, N6005, N100, and N305 boards have been often recommended for low-power NAS builds.
Any thoughts on this one? I might be interesting in putting together a server in the Jonsbo N3 using something like this.

https://cwwk.net/products/cwwk-q670-8-bay-nas-motherboard-is-suitable-for-intel-12-13-14-generation-cpu-3x-m-2-nvme-8x-sata3-0-2x-intel-2-5g-network-port-hdmi-dp-4k-60hz-vpro-enterprise-class-commercial-nas
>>
>>100201025
basically the only issue I have is that is User1 adds something to the Collaboration folder, User2 can't delete it. Everybody is all about restricting delete privs but I specifically WANT to allow anybody is the Office Group to delete whatever they want in the Collaboration folder
>>
>>100204355
LOL requires more than 10W what is that a nuclear tractor
>>
>>100204355
>Their N5105, N6005, N100, and N305 boards have been often recommended for low-power NAS builds.
these sound great
>Any thoughts on this one?
this doesn't sound that great because you are kinda misunderstanding the purpose of these small boards if you add your own 35/65W cpu. why not go full normie itx/matx at this point?
>>
>>100204321
>Does this apply to two different virtual disks ont he same drive though?
no, it would not

in your scenario basically you would get approximately the same speed that you get when you copy files from folder1 to folder2 on your Desktop.
>>
>>100204749
I've been wanting to put together a simple NAS plus Jellyfin server for a while now, but I've hesitated on making a decision on parts because of overwhelming options.

AMD solutions give you ECC support, but it seems Intel CPUs are king for their QuickSync for transcoding video. It looks like most people don't use ECC, so I'm looking at Intel solutions.
These Chinese low-power boards are interesting, but there's a certain level of sketchiness and lack of support with them.

I almost pulled the trigger on an AsRock Z690 or Z790 with an Intel 13500, but I'm still hesitating. Then I saw this board.
>>
>>100204812
Yea you're probably right. I've been searching for an aswer for this, but it seems no one has ever even bothered to ask this... My thought process was that a partition on the same disk image(such as a virtio-blk qcow2) would be faster for moving large files and reads than another disk of the same type. I assuming the fact that they are the same physical drive makes all the difference.
>>
>>100184555
>inb4 no rackmount case
I know, we don't have those here in my shitworld country and importing them is prohibitely expensive
>inb4 bad cable management
I know, that's in my todos
>>
>>100205068
>rack with only ONE rack-mounted device
you might as well have just gotten an IKEA bookshelf
>>
>>100205082
too gay for my taste
>>
I just deployed a BeeLink headless mini pc to an apartment I'm the landlord of. I'm currently planning on adding a notification bot that sends a messages whenever a client has connected/disconnected from the network.
What other uses can I give to it?
>>
File: wdytwe.jpg (228 KB, 680x1427)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>100205082
>rack with only ONE rack-mounted device
>>
>>100184497
im looking for a device i do not know the name of:
i want something that is capable of connecting to a bunch of SATA drives and perform hardware raid, has its own power supply, mountable over USB and not really a rack as i do not care about how the drives are stored. only the controlling circuit counts, i can manage the enclosing myself (so if it counts are a rack, its like a "bare" one(?)).
can you help me out with a hint, anon?
>>
Anyone using a vanilla Linux distro as a firewall for their network? Is it a bad idea?
>>
>>100205500
I did around 10 years ago. It's fun for learning but that's pretty much it. Takes too much time
>>
>>100205106
>added a bot to alert you when your tenants come and go
I feel bad for renters that they have to deal with landlords like you
>>
>>100184497
>make media server
>invite my friends
>none of them use it
am i a joke to you?
>>
Is 8 gb enough for pfsense + Jellyfin with transcoding or should i go for 16 gb?
>>
>>100205106
>What other uses can I give to it?
a microphone and a bot that sends speech2text messages to your phone of what renters are talking about
>>
>>100204883
>AMD solutions give you ECC support

https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/IMB-X1231

bam, ECC!
>>
>>100206250
Yeah, I've looked into this a lot. Wish I could actually buy it!
>>
how do i tell my vm to use my home server's dhcp and not the router's? i don't want to disable the router's. the range on the local dhcp is different than the router
>>
>>100200105
From their FAQ at https://yunohost.org/en/faq
>YunoHost is aimed at non-tech people who just want their server to work.
Taking into account what your requirements are, it could be used for your purpose. As long as you don't have any special requirements and are comfortable remaining in their environmental limits, there will be no problems.
>>100205310
A drive enclosure? A DAS? Something along those lines?
>>100206580
Stick it in a different network. Or blacklist the VM (with its MAC) from the relevant DHCP server.
If neither are possible options, you'll need to rethink your network.
>>
>>100206738
can i get a networking tutorial. my router doesn't have many options. i can only reserve an ip not blacklist it. i don't know what you mean by different network. different subnet?
i have two routers and i barely managed to get them working as a single subnet when connecting from wifi
>>
>>100206580
>the range on the local dhcp is different than the router
then put your VM/vswitch into the same range as the local DHCP
>>
File: 1706534095660853.jpg (74 KB, 550x733)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>100184497
Looking to make an all in one media/virtualization server/nas without spending more than I have to, and hoping to reuse my gpu, psu, and storage drives. Small/quiet/power efficient are all bonuses, but not strictly necessary.
Are there any particular mobos/chipsets/cpus to look out for in the used market?
General advice is also appreciated
>>
>>100208223
get a mobo with as many x8/x16 slots as reasonably possible, since you're already using up a slot for your GPU. make sure the CPU supports virtualisation. IOMMU groupings are usually better on Intel, but it depends on the motherboard/chipset.
>>
When should we consider a Windows Server ?

I need to replace our old shit at work running Seafile, and it's either a HPE MicroServer (or whatever) with WindowsServer running Docker+ eafile, or a Synology that can do what Seafile does.
We're 4 users onsite and 4 remote.

So far I know WindowsServer is used for SMB, PrintServer (and we change the main printer almost each week), AD + GPO (but I've never touch it), and for bigger enterprise DHCP/DNS, Hyper-V (but I guess you dedicated a server for this with ESXI) and the remote desktop with thin client.
What am I missing ? Looks like most roles are better suited with another appliance.
>>
>>100208871
Thanks for the input.
Funnily enough, I learned all those lessons the hard way while trying to use my old cpu+mobo, kek
>>
File: LogicalDiagram.png (17 KB, 585x431)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>100206901
>my router doesn't have many options. i can only reserve an ip not blacklist it
You'd blacklist the device with its MAC address, not the IP. But that's only relevant if your device supports that.
>i don't know what you mean by different network. different subnet?
Subnet is the short term for subnetwork.
10.0.0.0/8 is a network. 10.0.0.0/8 can also be a supernet(work) containing the 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24 subnet(work)s.
Putting the VM on a different network in this context would be changing it from your Net1 (the 192.168.1.0/24 or whatever that the router DHCP works on) to another network, like Net2 (192.168.2.0/24, where the home server DHCP works on).
While there are use cases for having multiple DHCP servers on a single network, you're far from those. Instead, consider the following logical diagram.
Each network has its own DHCP server, along with its own broadcast domain. This is how you can have multiple DHCP servers running at the same time, and still have the VM get the relevant configuration from the home server instead of the router (by having it connected to NET3 instead of NET1).
The physical diagram might be a bit more complex, but that relies on your particular setup, which I have no knowledge of.
>i have two routers and i barely managed to get them working as a single subnet when connecting from wifi
Why? For roaming between networks? Any reason you aren't using APs for the wireless devices?
>>100208902
A local Windows Server, and not some sort of Azure integration?
Apart from the list you already mentioned, there are also some applications that can require a Windows environment to run their server part on.
>Looks like most roles are better suited with another appliance.
IF there is another appliance that can fulfill that particular role, then yes, there is no reason to go with Windows Server.
>>
>>100208902
>When should we consider a Windows Server ?
usually when you need this:
>AD + GPO (but I've never touch it)
so if you don't need it, odds are you're better off just using something else
>>
>>100191354
if it's for work buy a little more expensive one
>>
File: 1695797621991.png (29 KB, 865x331)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>profana
>grometheus
any of y'all use this? is it fun
>>
Any no-nonsense software that i feed in playlist of media and then it plays those files to http stream?
With option to change files or lists without application restart
>>
Is this guy the ultimate home labber?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3t37SIyBs
Jesus christ. This must have cost nearly 500k.
>>
>>100210919
CTO of Surescripts. He doesn't even talk about the several cars in his garage of vintage PCs.
>>
>>100211000
I can't even be jealous of that. I'm glad someone in that position actually has a genuine passion for what they do. If I won the lottery, his homelab would be 100% what I would do.
>>
>>100210919
What in gods name could actually warrant that setup?
Not hating because it's sick, but I cannot think of a non professional use case for all that equipment
>>
>>100199753
I've gotten a couple of ideas for things to do from youtubers but I've never followed their instruction for setting up those ideas. Always just use first party documentation.
>>
>>100211289
https://old.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/1bn3p75/the_never_ending_cable_cleanup_a_weekend_of/kwhr2t6/?context=3

It's his playground for learning and work, but also for "some actual house related things I keep running". Not all the servers are online 24/7.
>>
>>100208223
check out this bad boy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266669190682
>>
File: wallmountrack.png (1.31 MB, 1116x742)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>100184555
>>
>>100208223
How much cash?
>>
>>100212783
That's sick, but it's more than I want to spend. I'm out to buy something more basic
>>100213549
Looking to spend $200ish usd for cpu, mobo, and ram. I can stretch the budget a bit further if I get more value for my purchase
>>
>>100186731
Sounds good, go for it
>>
is there a way to remote wireshark a server the same way you can remote debug with gdb? I've got a little device with very limited resources and I'm trying to figure out what the fuck is going on with one of the links. Currently I'm using tcpdump to create pcap files and then I scp them out and load them to review, but I would like to be able to use that connection to stream the same information directly into wireshark. There a utility for that?
>>
>>100214680
>Looking to spend $200ish usd for cpu, mobo, and ram
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266760341178
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334919513683
https://www.ebay.com/itm/116148685952
>>
>>100209317
so i set my router's subnet mask to 255.255.0.0
this allows me to use the 192.168.1.0 subnet. i reserved my computer's mac and my server's mac to be on the same 192.168.1.xxx subnet. i can ssh into it. but when i launch a bridged vm it still uses the default router dhcp server instead of the server one.
i have no idea what the fuck i am doing wrong.
here's what my config looks like and some server logs whjenever i try to boot vm from network

option arch code 93 = unsigned integer 16;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option subnet-mask 255.255.0.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.255.255;
option domain-name-servers 1.1.1.1;
if exists user-class and ( option user-class = "iPXE" ) {
filename "http://boot.netboot.xyz/menu.ipxe";
} elsif option arch = encode-int ( 16, 16 ) {
filename "http://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.efi";
option vendor-class-identifier "HTTPClient";
} elsif option arch = 00:07 {
filename "netboot.xyz.efi";
} else {
filename "netboot.xyz.kpxe";
}
}

DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:27:33:9b:3e via enp0s31f6
DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.13 to 08:00:27:33:9b:3e via enp0s31f6
DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:27:33:9b:3e via enp0s31f6
DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.13 to 08:00:27:33:9b:3e via enp0s31f6
DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.162 (192.168.0.1) from 08:00:27:33:9b:3e via enp0s31f6: ignored (not authoritative).

>>
>>100215272
Very based, thank you
>>
I have a consumer router, but I’m thinking of adding a NAS and upon investigation it’s seeming increasingly likely I’ll need to build my own.

If my target platform has a 4 core processor (8 threads, base to turbo 2.4~2.7 GHz) and up to 128 GB of RAM, but only two NICs (admittedly both are 10G, and there’s a third for management) is there enough overhead and I/O to be worth looking at running eg. OPNsense and TrueNAS together via virtualisation? Thought it might be nice to upgrade from the router and that it might save power, but I’ve only dealt with discrete hardware up to now so even odds I fuck everything up (and then I’d need to buy an access point anyway for WiFi).
>>
Anyone run a self hosted DBMS? I've been working on a small database for backing up my anilist/MAL data. Just a hobby project because I wanted to learn graphql/postgres. I've been thinking of building a NAS for media storage and figured I could just run the database on that in a docker container or something. Anyone done anything like that before?
>>
File: MSACCESS_uQ3OGK6toQ.png (345 KB, 914x798)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
>>100216602
I made an MS Access database with VBA front end for anilisting once if that counts
>>
>>100215979
>upgrade from the router and that it might save power
sounds a bit confusing, i'm not sure you could save power with a diy nas vs consumer router
also why buy an extra access point instead of getting some solution with a built-in / add-on wifi?
>>
>>100206250
No 10gbe network port: fail
>>
>>100217427
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SDV-4C-TLN2F
>>
>>100216856
Cute ui
>>
>>100204883
try looking for asrock rack intel boards
>>
Do you even step out of your house? Holy shit it is depressing.
>>
>>100217997
Wrong thread bro

>>100174674
>>
>gogs, gitea, forgejo
Why are there three separate forks, that's just awful.
What do you guys run?
>>
>>100204883
>>100217732
Yeah, it's a pretty good approach. I really like my C3558D4I-4L, I stuck it in a supermicro 826 and it's been great.
>>
Came here looking for your advice folks.

I am not interested in using a dedicated server, but whole media server thing with jellyfin, radarr and prowlarr seems interesting and more convenient than just searching torrent sites and using a media player. Is it worth setting it all up on a laptop for personal use(that is used as a regular laptop, not as a media server)?
>>
File: gartnermqfigure1.png (95 KB, 3497x3744)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>100218068
>What do you guys run?
There's only one true and valid self-hosted option. Pic related.
>>
>>100184555
>>100184497
i'm rocking an m900 tiny with a power and ethernet cable plugged in
i use it to play minecraft with my friends
it's very comfy.
>>
>>100215877
ISC DHCP server is EOL software. Not going to mention you have only one subnet block. Migrate to Kea already.
>>
>>100219463
>"Not going to mention you have only one subnet block."
>Mentions it, explicitly

Retard.
>>
>Debian stable on home server
>install Cockpit because it would be useful to manage my VMs without needing virt-manager or SSH for everything
>it also installs NetworkManager on my headless server because Cockpit uses it to display network information or some such
>NetworkManager under its default config periodically / seemingly randomly nukes my resolv.conf and replaces it with... literally nothing for some godforsaken reason
>server forgets how2DNS and basically nothing works until reboot
>had to put up with this shit for like a week until I had time today to dig through and figure out what the likely problem was
Sometimes I REALLY fucking hate Linux. Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>finally find a rack near me in my rural area, which is relatively uncommon.
>it’s an older ibm 32U and weighs 500lbs and the guy just wants it gone, $100

How do I get this into my house without killing myself. I am a 4chan user so I have no friends but i do have a pickup truck
>>
>>100219886
>How do I get this into my house without killing myself
Get a screwdriver and disassemble it and move it piece by piece nigga, it's not welded&glued together
>>
>>100219760
This command will make it to where no process, even root processes, can change a file.
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Your hate is misplaced. I love Linux but I hate this behavior as well, mine gets changed when I get a DHCP address from my ISP.

Day to day management of servers should be handled using automation tools like Ansible, you shouldn't need to interact directly with the server for the majority of tasks you need done, automate that shit away yesterday, dog. Why are you adverse to using virt-manager though?
>>
>>100219886
https://youtube.com/watch?v=4PyU-mt8Qmg
>>
>>100218068
Last I heard forgejo is the one you want.
I think gitea was bought or something and the maintainers got slow, so forgejo is the community driven fork that people contribute to and patches get accepted but they both share with each other anyway eventually. gogs was similar iirc where people were mad that patches weren't being accepted for whatever reason so they forked.
My recollection could be inaccurate but it all boiled down to the usual hissy fit and fork shit.
>>
>>100219886
I completely disassembled my 45U Panduit rack. There was no way it was fitting through my doors either way so it needed to be done even if I could pick it up myself. Id disassemble and put it on the pickup truck since you don't have help moving it
>>
>learning about security
broke
>setting up tailscale
woke
>>
>>100219760
Isn't there some flag for installing on headless?
>>
>>100220040
Making resolv.conf immutable isn't the solution because there's some other Debian process (I forget which) that actually writes to the file based on the config in /etc/network/interfaces. That suits me perfectly well actually, no problem since I only need to look at 1 file to configure the network. That's good.

>Your hate is misplaced.
I'm not saying I'm literally blaming the Linux kernel for this sort of shit, obviously the kernel has nothing to do with some random program hosing my DNS settings in its default config. The problem is exactly the fact that some random program is configured by default such that it hoses your DNS. This isn't a literal Linux kernel problem but such issues are definitely a "Linuxism" where some piece of shit software that only ends up on my system as a dependency of something else comes configured to enforce it's literally broken default setup (as in, resolv.conf contained no nameservers whatsoever) onto the rest of the system, resulting in breaking fundamental functionality such as networking that was working prior. It's ridiculous.

>Ansible
It would probably take me more time to configure Ansible than I'll spend on "management" of my home server over 5 years probably, it's not worth it.

>Why are you adverse to using virt-manager
I'm not, I've used it for the initial setup and it's pretty good. The problem is that it only runs on Linux and sometimes I use a Windows computer or some other device and want to do something basic like turn a VM on/off, reboot it, forward a USB device or some shit like that and being able to do that from an omnipresent browser is much easier than reaching a desktop Linux install or needing to have SSH on everything I use in order to do it manually via CLI.

>>100220792
What do you mean, a flag for apt to install a headless version of the cockpit package? Can't say I've ever heard of anything like that, plus Cockpit is supposed to be designed for headless server management in the first place.
>>
File: ExpandedDiagram.png (46 KB, 1028x560)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>100215877
>i have no idea what the fuck i am doing wrong.
Let's start from the basics.
You can't use multiple DHCP servers on a single broadcast domain for your use case. If you need different configuration sources, you're going to need different broadcast domains.
You achieve that by having different networks. Look at the expanded diagram, now including some devices.
NET1 should be pretty obvious, leaving out NET2 from the previous diagram, and focusing on NET3.
NET3 is a separate network for just virtual machines. The only DHCP server is the Home Server.
Your computer would be one of those other devices on NET1, irrelevant as far as the diagram is concerned.
VM1 and VM2 are two different scenarios for VM deployment.
VM2 (connected to NET1) is what you're dealing with. When the networking is bridged with the external adapter, it's obviously going to get the same treatment as the physical interface. Which means getting its configuration from the router, something you don't want.
VM1 (connected to NET3) is what you should be doing. An internal network, outside of the broadcast domain for the router, where the alternative DHCP (from Home Server) is used as the only DHCP in that network.
The creation of NET3 is the network redesign previously mentioned. And with that, the problem of multiple DHCP servers in a single broadcast domain would be fixed.
There might be the small issue of connectivity between devices on NET1 and NET3, or NET3 having internet connectivity, but those can be solved by adding routing capabilities to the Home Server and a static route on the Router.
>>
>>100205068
Build them yourself
>>
>>100219916
According to the dude getting rid of it it is welded together for the most part, I can take the doors off but it’s an older ibm rack that’s can’t be disassembled past a certain point

>>100220089
>>100220616
But hearing all this and seeing this makes me hope the person selling is just kind of dumb. Worst case I waste a drive I suppose. It’s an ibm rs6000 and looking at the install manual the doors are on quick release hinges, at least.
>>
>>100220765
Fuck off Chris , I'm not using a proprietary wireguard service when its piss easy to setup myself .
>>
>spent days thinking about reorganizing my rack and doing cable clean up
>finally get around to it
>somehow made it worse
I regret not getting a bigger rack
>>
>>100223081
I have setup e2ee star topology in plain Wireguard using a Wireguard tunnel in a Wireguard tunnel just to replicate Tailscale's behaviour. Adding new devices to the setup is awful. Also, Tailscale has a cool trick to allow direct connection over a single tunnel to devices behind NAT, which is simply not possible with plain Wireguard. There's obviously a raison d'etre for Tailscale.
>>
>>100222557
Yeah hopefully he's wrong. I've never encountered a rack that was 100% completely welded together, it would be assinine for that to be the case. My Panduit has pieces on it that are welded on but the majority was put together by beefy-ass screws. Before you go there, take some dimensions of all of the doorways and walkways through your house up to the location that you want to put it and write down the smallest width that you find through the house. That will be the largest width that you can fit through without disassembly. Then when you get there, if disassembly truely isn't possible, take the measurement without the doors and see if it's smaller than your width you have written down. If it's not, then you probably can't have that rack.

My Panduit was big enough that even taking the doors off, I still needed a nearly full disassembly.
>>
File: apu-dumb.png (61 KB, 860x575)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
can i run services like smartmontools/scrutiny inside a container or does it have to be on the host?
>>
>>100225886
it has a docker so clearly it can
https://github.com/AnalogJ/scrutiny
>>
File: 1586124845869.jpg (126 KB, 768x671)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
I know there was a flood way back in the day, but didn't WD backdoor their HDDs firmware or something equally malicious? Trying to decide if I wanna buy some WUHs. I love HGST and I know part of the acquisition involved their people taking executive positions in WD ala reverse takeover, but I'm still suspect because I can't remember quite what it was that put me off to them wrt firmware - this was around 2008-2012 I think.
Any guesses /hsg/?
>>
>>100225886
You've already been answered by this kind sar:
>>100226231 But I'll add a bit of information for you.

You can do just about anything on Linux from within a container. A container is just a set of files(just like everything else in linux) except with sandboxing stuff to isolate the container from the host system.
>>
>>100226575
IIRC, it only applied to Western Digitial's Cloud shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGLrzSuCtM
>>
Best high performance router for open wrt at home? No NSA shit.
>>
>>100226575
How the fuck can you backdoor an HDD
>>
>>100223232
How big is it now
>>
>>100228037
15U
the problem is the inside is an absolute nest of cables. it's hard to align and tidy everything because some components overlap and go in different directions. i tried my best to velcro tie and position them nice but it's still a mess inside. i'll just have to hope nothing gets randomly unplugged or needs to be removed.
>>
/hsg/ router starter kit: A pair of enterprise firewalls ($700 freedombux each) with ongoing subscriptions per device (~$200/year).
>>
>>100228200
Custome length cables, my man. I've got a 12U that looks pretty decent in the back.
>>
>>100227994
Same way I backdoor your mom, dweeb
>>
>>100228846
its not the ethernet cables. its a mix of usb/power cables/sensors/etc
>>
>>100205906
8 GB+ for Jellyfin, 1 GB+ for pfsense, 20% of total system memory for the hypervisor, and 50% of total system memory for ARC (zealot filesystem).
>>
>>100228893
>running your router/firewall on your primary server
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>100228783
kek, i actually did spend $600 on my firewall but it was worth it. if you're getting into homelabs you should be making good money to afford this stuff anyway
>>
>>100228922
Found the person without VRRP routers on multiple hypervisors. I've got one on all of my servers. It costs nothing to build host level redundancy
>>
>>100228883
All of those cables can be had with custom lengths.
>>
>>100229132
Swapping out the supplied manufacturers power cable is asking for trouble. I'd rather not if the only benefit is cosmetics.
>>
>>100229149
No it isn't, they're literally standardized. The manufacturer of your equipment buys the cheapest cable they can at a length that accommodates most customers (long). You're not most customers though
>>
>>100229184
Nope. I ran into an hour long issue a month ago when I swapped out a power cable on a switch with an identical one and it caused a massive headache. It looked like it was functioning but actually wasn't. Not dealing with that again.
>>
>>100215929
Sure but you need to decide which way, more cores and lanes or more ram or less idle power and so on
>>
>>100230022
lower idle power is probably the bigger thing to focus on since a server spends the vast majority of it's time idle or near-idle.
>>
>>100227381
>no hardware shown
this could have been a text only blog post
>>
File: file.png (203 KB, 1024x425)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>100184497
I set up some servers in the garage but ethernet going to it was kinda shitty, able to get only FE. Had coax going to it, figured I'd give MoCA a try.

Grabbed 2x Screenbeam ECB7250. They are working fine, giving me around 700mbits but looking at the admin dashboard, I am only able to use D-Ext, how about D-Low, D-High etc?

I don't have anything else running over this coax. Any ideas?
>>
>>100204355
a proper review where they test and try to max out all those sata pipes should be interesting
>>
>>100232560
It's chipset sata
Max you get is ~2gb/s iirc
>>
How can I find the VA rating of my HPE proliant micro server gen10 (not the plus version)? The spec sheet only lists the wattage, but this is not so useful for sizing a UPS.
>>
>>100233654
600va should be more than enough
>>
>>100231054
>>100210919
>>
Wanted to setup notifications for smartd and ZED on my Nas.

What smtp provider do you recommend?

I tried twilio sendgrid but Microsoft marked all my emails as spam while Gmail was fine.
>>
>>100234228
I just use gmail and haven't ever had any issues. I have filters setup that automatically categorizes messages from my server as well, so they aren't cluttering my inbox.
>>
>>100233654
Just take load measurements. If you're exclusively attempting to power that one server, measure power draw at boot, then hit it with a stress test. Take the highest number of the two of them, add 15% or so and you should be good.
>>
>>100184497
I want some smart plugs to measure the power consumption of some appliances, recs?
>>
>>100235130
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Tapo-Monitoring-Required-Tapo-P110/dp/B0B82ZQZS8
>>
>>100235130
I have had no issues with a basic Kasa Smart plug(with energy monitoring). There's probably better solutions but it does what I need and it's simple to setup.
>>
>>100234767
You use msmtp or postfix with gmail?

Do you have a server specific address or you use your own?
>>
I need a easy to setup and maintain solution to access my stuff outside my network. Im currently using cloudflare tunnels pointing to swag with a google login page to access my stuff. But i tried using tandoor now and it all just got kinda messy. Should I just ditch the reverse proxy and point cloudflare directly to the programs I use or is there a nicer solution?
>>
Are vpn routers based? I had a 1 gig vpn router but had to remove it for network structural reasons.
>>
>>100227967
https://ryf.fsf.org/products/TPE-R1400
>>
Will cloudflare say I broke TOS and charge me if I continuously stream video? I should be fine as long as i'm not using their DNS proxy, right?
>>
>finish setting up my nice little server
>realize WoL doesn't work at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo
>>
>>100237691
>Will cloudflare say I broke TOS and charge me if I continuously stream video? I should be fine as long as i'm not using their DNS proxy, right?
what are you even talking about
are you proxying your server through cloudflare?
>>
>>100237691
>charge me
Do cloud cucks really give there credit card info to shillflare?
>>
File: i010014_1618308395[1].jpg (192 KB, 1040x1056)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
is there any such thing as a rugged enclosure for a 3.5" HDD?
>>
fuck racks
>>
File: 1565295658362.jpg (122 KB, 1023x959)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Hello /hsg/, somewhat noobie question for you all about web servers. I'm trying to create a subdomain for my main domain, domain.com. So admin.domain.com for example. In my cPanel I have the option to share share document root with my main domain.

What's BEST PRACTICE for subdomains and root folders with other main domains?

TL;DR: Should I check the "share document root" box?

Thanks!
>>
i have
>a pool that is 2 nvmes in raid1
>a pool that is 2 hdds in raid1
i want to make a database for grafana to make cool dashboards. which pool should i put the database on
>>
Is this adequate for a hot and cold storage system?
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005006262376479.html

I figure, boot off nvme (?x2; OS +- ZFSLOG), plug in 2x 4TB SATA SSDs for a network share, and then offload files as required via mini-SAS to a JBOD case with 4x 3.5” HDDs.

On a scale of 1-10 how retarded am I to try this?
>>
i'm about to move from proxmox to truenas scale, any advice?
all my stuff runs in dockers inside LXC anyway, so there isn't much i'm going to miss except for proxmox backup server, which I ran on the same host as PVE anyway and i beleove truenas scale can run it's own backups much better than PVE alone anyway
>>
>>100244739
actually on second thought, it seems i can't easily migrate my docler-compose ymls to truenas unless I use some weird workarounds (docker in a VM or docker-in-docker), but someome suggested OpenMediaVault as it has GUI support for compose, how true is that? if all I care about is docker-compose and ZFS, am i better with OMV?
>>
File: 1000025363.jpg (203 KB, 800x800)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
is it a bad idea to use something like this with four drives in RAID10 as a boot device?
>>
>>100244200
sounds good
>>
>>100244200
>On a scale of 1-10 how retarded am I to try this?
like a solid 3 or 4
you could probably buy a ready-made solution for less money and with less jank (eg a 2nd hand dell or supermicro server), but there's nothing really wrong with what you're proposing
i guess you have some idea of a case in mind? or just gonna rawdog it in a pizza box?
>>
>>100231640
>ethernet going to it was kinda shitty, able to get only FE
how did this happen tho
>>
whats the best LGA2011-3 CPU for a home server? Not strictly the most powerful, but the best balance of performance and power requirements. I'm only going to be using it as a NAS, jellyfin (with a dedicated GPU) and a few webserver VMs
is it worth getting the Xeon 2699? or is there something else you'd reccomend in this socket? I don't really understand the difference between all the Xeon 26xx CPUs except the core counts and clock speeds, but do they actually have different features or what?
>>
>>100246980
>but the best balance of performance and power requirements
an "L" version Xeon would fit into that balance
>>
>>100245954
>>100245905
Thanks guys, appreciate the honest feedback.

>like a solid 3 or 4
Huh, better than I was expecting. The reason for considering something as janky as this, is I'm looking for something that supports ECC and doesn't guzzle power; aside from a weird lack of SATA + M.2 sockets on everything I'm seeing, the latter point is where the available offerings in preowned servers/workstations tend to fail. The best other alternative is a secondhand Xeon D mobo, but I'd have to import one because there's zero for sale locally and even then the up-front saving is minimal.

What's unfortunate is this thing only takes (very expensive) ECC SODIMMs, but electricity is fast becoming very expensive in my area so it'll work out over time.

>or just gonna rawdog it in a pizza box?
I need to double-check the screw spacing on the board, but if it's too hard to find/build something suitable the seller does has a case designed for the mobo (doesn't look great though, would probably run hot/cook the SSDs).
>>
Do you guys run a firewall on your server and router, or just the router?
>>
>>100248250
Both
>>
>>100246980
Get the lowest power one you can for as cheap as you can . You only need a single core for for all NAS stuff and since you're using a GPU you don't need much CPU power for transcoding either .
>>
>>100248250
Just my router. I thought about enabling it on my mini-pc but it feels redundant.
>>
File: 1690440098130449.jpg (1.47 MB, 1500x1215)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>I made a new backplane for my Terramaster F2-221 NAS
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40199967

this is so fucking retarded putting all that work in a shitty looking faggot consumer nas
just build your own fucking case at that point, maybe it could even not look like a soulless blob
>>
>>100250053
Not much you can expect out if the goodest of goys who probably paid full priced for those ironwolfs

Good on him tho for making some actual hardware
>>
Hi guys
Decided I want to try configure pfsense or something similar instead of my draytek
Any tips on where to begin?
>>
>>100248250
Both if router runs stock
>>
File: file.png (1.01 MB, 985x1313)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
Hi,
using a raspi 4 (4gb) as a home server and it pretty much fulfils it's duties - boot from SSD + 2 HDDS as NAS for the kids to watch movies, OMV with docker with jellyfin, pihole, bitwarden, VPN etc. Everything is fast enough for the needs.
I need to redeploy everything because stuck with 32bit base os and was thinking of rebuilding the whole thing - maybe going for the raspi 5 8gb or going for a used SFF, but here no idea what to aim for around the price of the raspi 5 ~100 EUR?
Now that I wrote it, not sure it's worth the upgrade to SFF - will take me even more to learn everything and set up. And I am currently focused on other projects
>>
>>100184680
I used to have one of those little indy boxes

Anyway
>Irix
>for when you really want five different default installs with telnet enabled by default
>also hilariously easy local root exploits
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for some sort of service to host/display PDFs? I mainly want to use it for sheet music, so annotation would be useful too.
>>
Where to start as a poorfag? Scrape around an e-waste recycling plant or something? Maybe I could buy new storage drives and make my old ass "gaming" tower into a server or something
>>
>>100253439
clean your room. wash your penis.
>>
APC BR1500MS2 good enough?
Powering a router, AP, and small proxmox host.

Power loss is typically only for 3-5 seconds if there's a particularly bad storm.
>>
>>100246783
Whoever did the wiring before me did a terrible job terminating the cables and also didn't bother buy good cables to begin with for 50m+ of ethernet cabling.

I fixed the shitty termination job but even that wasn't able to get me to GbE speeds.
>>
>>100253503
jellyfin
>>100254257
lenovo thinkcenter, <$100 on ebay and will do basically anything you need for a home server. just get a cheap USB HDD for storage
if you're really REALLY poor, find local offices and see when their workstarion warranty expires and grab one out of their dumpster (ask first)
>>100255783
cat 4, probably also runs across power lines. I'd rip it all out and redo the entire lot in conduit
>>100253439
lenovo thinkcenter, <$100 on ebay and will do basically anything you need for a home server. just get a cheap USB HDD for storage
>>100248250
everything should have a firewall. your network's edgerouter should definately have a firewall. it's also good to run a backup firewall on a seperate physical device, ie you have two edgerouters with firewalls.
>>100247870
>supports ECC and doesn't guzzle power
generally quite rare, as ECC memory uses substantially more power than non-ECC, but good luck.
>need to double-check the screw spacing on the board,
217*122mm, it is ~215*120mm between centers with m3 screws
>seller does has a case designed for the mobo (doesn't look great though, would probably run hot/cook the SSDs).
looks like it supports a fan, maybe drill speedholes in the underside?
>>
im looking for a 2u PSU, preferrably redundant, but I have specific cable requirements and haven't veen able to find one with what I need
at least:
>1*24pin
>2*8 pin CPU (dual CPU board)
>4-8*IDE 4pin (for the backplane, needs at least 4 but can run 8 for redundancy)
>1-2*SATA (for 2 SSDs)
>3*8 pin GPU/PCIe (Radeon VII GPU needs 2*8pins and SAS controller needs 1)
i can only find ones with either the right number of IDE cables or the right number of PCIe 8pin cables, not both. Should I just take the L and buy adaptors instead?
like I said it doesn't need to be a redundant PSU and I can probably get away with a modular SFX PSU from seasonic or someone, but i'd prefer a redundant one if possible. Must be able to fit in a 3u chassis, so basically SFW, TFX, and 2u only (i don't think I can screw a FLX or 1u PSU in to this case without making an adaptor)
>>
>>100255987
>jellyfin seems super overkill
>>
File: 1000025424.png (774 KB, 1096x1242)
774 KB
774 KB PNG
>>100256187
oh i should mention it should be at least 750w and 80 plus certifed
this is the one i have been looking at, i know chinese stuff tends to be laughed at but i've had no issues with GW PSUs in the past.
it's got enough of everything except PCIe 8 pins, but I might get away with puttinf a double adaptor on one since the SAS controller doesn't draw all that much power anyway.
it's also only about $350 USD ($500 AUD), too, which for redundant PSUs seems quite inexpensive
>>
>>100256187
>3*8 pin GPU/PCIe (Radeon VII GPU needs 2*8pins and SAS controller needs 1)
>SAS controller needs 1
The fuck kind of SAS controller are you running?
>>
File: 1000025425.jpg (32 KB, 648x474)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>100256320
LSI 9300-16i
>>
>>100256320
>>100256341
sorry it's a 6 pin but y'know, most PCIe 8 pins are actually 6+2 anyway
>>
>>100256341
>27W nominal power consumption
More than I thought. Seems like whether it needs the extra 6-pin power depends on the motherboard and the kind of slot. Googling "LSI 9300-16i power" throws up a bunch of related stuff.
>>
File: 1000025427.png (511 KB, 1802x1096)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
>>100256519
how can I tell how much power my PCIe slot delivers? I can't find anything in the manual about it, only the block diagram showing what speeds they can run at
it's a gigabyte md70 hb0 btw
if it helps, my desired configuration for PCI devices, going from top (slot 6) to bottom (slot 1) of the board is
>Radeon VII (x16)
>empty
>4-port m.2 adaptor (x4x4x4x4)
>dual 10g NIC (x8)
>empty
>SAS controller (x8)
i've already worked out the lane configuration so that should be fine, but i hadn't considered the power situarion from the board side. you think this will be ok? because if I don't need the extra 6 pin for the SAS controller then I can basically order this PSU I'm looking at without worry
>>
>>100256767
oh actually not relevant to my question but just realised I'll need to swap the NIC and SAS controller, i forgot the SAS controller was 3.0 x8 and the NIC is 2.0 x8, and PCIe slot 1 is only 2.0 x8
>>
>>100256794
ok think before you speak, think twice before you buy
i don't actually need the 10g NIC at all, i forgot i bought this board specifically for the dual 10g ports built in

my mind's been all over the place lately, FWIW i have only bought the SAS controller, chassis and board so far, I still need ram, CPUs, the GPU, and PSU
I'm just overthinking shit because I wanna be 100% sure before I purchase stuff
>>
>>100184497
>Ampache
does it organize based on tags (like navidrome) or folders (like subsonic)?
>>
Is anyone aware of a way to host a language dictionary? Not interested in AI translations.
I suppose I need to find a database first, the one I used for decades randomly dropped off the internet earlier this year.

>>100245121
Assuming this is some cheap shit without a pci bridge, your motherboard has to support bifurication.
>Boot device
No that's dumb. OS should be the least complicated part of your setup. You would use it for your VM OS storage instead.

>>100253439
>OMV with docker
You would just copy your settings and docker compose files over to the new setup and replug in everything.
But if you don't currently have ram or cpu limitations then I wouldn't bother. And if the usb plugs-ins didn't bother you so far, you could go with a tinyminimicro instead - more or less depends on what extra ram you have lying around.

>>100256767
>how can I tell how much power my PCIe slot delivers?
It's a standard, based on the length of the slot.
I'm pulling numbers out of my ass, but full length should be able to do 50~70W and anything shorter might max out at 20W
>>
>>100189504
maybe, it depends entirely on the specific model you go for
6th gen is last you will get more than 2 hdd bays and only on MT (mini tower) models. Don't get sff.
€150 is far too much for 7th gen ewaste, I paid £40 each for 7th gen sff systems a couple months ago from ebay and I wouldn't go much higher for MT.

ignore the qnap shill and dont buy usb das/jbod.
>>
File: 1000025428.jpg (481 KB, 960x960)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>100256866
>but full length should be able to do 50~70W and anything shorter might max out at 20W
ok, i had a look into it and all PCIe slots will do the same power (since the power pins are unchanged regarldess of legnth) and for 3.0 that's 75w in theory, so i should be ok without the extra 6pin plug. I'll probably give it ago with my desktop's PSU powering it on a bench to see if it's possible before I pull the trigger I guess
also I was >>100245121
you're probably right on the "boot should be simple" so I'll probably just RAID1 some sata SSDs and screw them in to the chassis somewhere, they don't need to be all that fast anyway.
this will do the VMs then. I'll have to double check but i'm fairly sure I can run x4x4x4x4 on that slot. The plan right now is 4* 1TiB gen 3 SSDs and slap picrel on them (it keeps the fins in-line with the chassis' airflow for this orientation, unlike most other heatsinks + they are $4 each lol), and then RAID10 them with ZFS. since the slot under this will be unused anyway, it doesn't matter that the heatsinks stick out a bit

thanks for the help btw
>>
>>100255987
>just get a cheap USB HDD for storage
i hope you guys dont do this
>>
>>100256767
>>100257024
Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Slot_power x4 and up are only guaranteed to do 25W (hence the SAS controller having the 6-pin in the first place), but depending on how it's wired may support more. A physical x16 should be able to do 75W.
>>
>>100257112
oh, yeah alright
found this on STH about the 16i:
>The aux power connector is only needed if the power supply for that PCIe slot is limited to 25W. Although that is technically the limit for most x1 to x8 cards, most slots provide more. If you are plugged into an x16 slot, you definitely won't need it.
there is a free x16 slot in my configuration, so probably I'll run it in that instead of the x8 and then I won't need the extra cable. It's just gonna trigger my autism to see a slot only being half-full lol
>>
>>100256767
>>100257308
so i guess after all that, we've changed to
>Radeon VII (x16, 2*8pin plugs)
>empty - unusable bc GPU is 2 slot
>M.2 *4 card (x4x4x4x4)
>empty - unusable because the below slot needs to run at x16 (if using both, they both run at x8)
>SAS controller (x8 but in a x16 slot for the extra power, no power plug)
>empty (x8 if i ever need it)

alright, unless anyone sees any other obvious issues I think I'll go forward with this plan and the PSU I had picked out earlier >>100256252
>>
>>100257400
>empty - unusable because the below slot needs to run at x16 (if using both, they both run at x8)
Should still be usable. The SAS card is only x8 anyway, and the slot shouldn't need to run at x16 to supply 75W. It's more that a x16 slot (physically, not necessarily electrically) can accommodate x16 cards and therefore should be wired to supply 75W.
>empty (x8 if i ever need it)
Didn't you have a nic?
>M.2 *4 card (x4x4x4x4)
What's the fan config on the Radeon, and is the M2 card gonna obstruct it?
>>
File: 1000025431.jpg (281 KB, 960x960)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>100257492
>Didn't you have a nic?
i did until i remembered the board does dual 10g and was the whole reason i got this over some other c612 options, i'm posting faster than i'm thinking right now, i just forgot to remove the NIC from my wishlist
>What's the fan config on the Radeon,
it's fanless, picrel. there is sufficient fan force in front of the card to cool it so i'm not that concerned about it, if it runs too hot i will print a duct so it gets exclusive use of ome of the 120mm fans. i also have a model that clips on to the rear of a PCIe bracket outside the chassis and supports 2* 40mm fans if needed
part of the rationale for this model in particular is the cooler being inline with airflow of the chassis, but it's also one of very few GPUs with the power connectors on the back rather than the top, which is essential for fitting in a 3u chassis as a full-height PCIe card is almost exaxtly 3u tall.
>Should still be usable. The SAS card is only x8 anyway, and the slot shouldn't need to run at x16 to supply 75W.
fair enough, but i don't know what to put in there anyway.

also i made another slight mistake, the bottom most slot is PCIe 2.0 but only x4 electrically even though it's x8 physically. I can't think of anything I'd really run in that, maybe a quad-port 1g NIC if i really needed more ports. hell maybe a TV tuner card just for fun, mind you a PCIe one is like $150, so maybe not
>>
>>100257065
for a small first NAS theres nothing better than a USB HDD and a SFF/miniPC, SBC or NUC
>>
>>100257618
>very few GPUs with the power connectors on the back rather than the top
Of course, they do this on purpose to make it impractical to use consumer GPUs in servers.
>i don't know what to put in there anyway
Another M2 card? 25G sfp nic?
>PCIe 2.0 but only x4 electrically
Maybe not hugely useful, but you could still put a dual 10G nic in. It would be limited to a combined ~16G, so you could saturate one port in each direction or get ~8G on both.
>>
>>100257971
>Another M2 card?
maybe, though 16*12g 3.5" bays seems plenty, i'm upgrading from 10+4 6g bays
>25G sfp nic?
brother I barely have 10g networking for three devices and my internet is only 100/40
>but you could still put a dual 10G nic in.
yeah probably. i only thought quad 1gb to give some containers a dedicated hardware NIC, but now that I think about it the only ones that would benefit from that would be
>deluge - but my internet is only 100m so it'll never fully saturate the port
>SMB/NFS - but really i'd want a dedicated 10g port for that
>plex - but even three 4k streams at once are only ~90m
so i guess it doesn't matter that much except to have more ports in my patch panel filled up. maybe a single port 10g card for SMB/NFS. I'm movong away from proxmox so it's not like CEPH will be an issue anymore, unless someome tells me OMV has some sort of distrobuted HA storage method and my tax return comes back in at least 4 digits
i also thought piKVM but this board does it's own IPMI anyway plus I have an IP KVM (some belkin 1u thing with gay as fuck proprietary cables), I just never set it up on the network
>>
>>100258592
>give some containers a dedicated hardware NIC
A 10G nic with sr-iov virtual functions would maybe serve that better.
>I barely have 10g networking for three devices
Better than me, I'm still planning multi-gig multi-server stuff. What I want to implement keeps advancing as I learn shit, so it's a bit of a moving target. Decided against 25G though.
>16*12g 3.5" bays
What case are you using? I'd like to upgrade but there aren't many local options and shipping sucks for this shit.
>>
File: 61BVCLVZWpL.jpg (107 KB, 1200x1200)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
So I don't actually have a home server, just a pc that can lose power, just thought this would be a good place to ask

What kind of surge protector do I want? Is a tripp lite isobar shit?

However if I did start running a server that needed uptime is their any overlap with a UPS or something? Do you use a UPS and a surge protector or is that redundant?
>>
File: 1000025435.jpg (135 KB, 800x800)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>100258972
im moving from a poweredge t420 + powervault diskshelf to an innovision 3u 16 bay chassis, shipping wasn't cheap though, in total this cost me $750 AUD or about $500(?) USD, which for what it js (woth a 12g backplane) is quite cheap for australia but I understand the US of A has better local options from supermicro or silverstone etc
>A 10G nic with sr-iov virtual functions would maybe serve that better.
not sure what that means desu
iny existing setup I have a one port 10g NIC that i have attached directly to my NFS LXC in proxmox, while everything else runs on a bridge of the two built-in 1g NICs, which have seperate IP addresses because I'm too stupid to figure out ether channels in a mikrotik router (i will get a UDM one day just for the simpler management)
as for the networking, I got a good deal on a neargear 10g switch, it's passively cooled so it's silent and has 7 10g-baset ports and one shared with an SFP+ port for uplink, it was only $300 AUD, about $180(?) USD, so not terrible. and then some Asus 10g NICs for $80 each, I know i could've gotten much cheaper ones using ex enterprise gear but frankly these are much more efficient and cooler. I didn't want to do SFP because DACs are more expensive if you need shorter runs, SFPs value becomes more evident if you need longer runs. everything in my network is within 10m cable of my rack

>>100259212
UPS is also a surge protector
expensive surge protectors are a scam IMO, any good power board has a fuse built in that will solve 90% of issues, if you're gonna get anything get a real UPS
also bear in mind a UPS isn't mesnt to keep you running, it's meant to allow you to safely shut down, so don't bother looking for one with hours of uptime, 5-20 minutes is plenty, anything over 30 minutes is overkill as most UPSs will have a method of contacting the network or attached computers and requesting a safe shutdown, eg ethernet or serial/usb cable
>>
File: 1000025434.jpg (384 KB, 1096x1461)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>100259275
now heres the chassis, this distance marked in red is 28.5cm ish, the radeon VII is exactly 28cm. im pretty sure I could jimmy it under the lip on the left side, but i'd need 180 degree power adaptors for the plugs. I already use these on my 3070 in my other 3u computer so i have no issue with that, but I wonder if there isn't a more suitable card?

aside from physically fitting and having a "server style" cooler, what i'm looking for is 12gb+ of VRAM and transcode support for at least h/x264 as majority of my media library is h264, but h/x265 would be nice too. the VRAM is for AI stuff, but it's more of a "i'd like it" rather than "i need it".
I've considered a tesla p100 but it's twice the price for less than half the performance in transcoding. I don't know really how to look for this sort of GPU though as I've only really looked for gaming performance before, so any advice is welcome
>>
>>100259212
not sure if others will agree with me but i firmly beleive all computers should be on a UPS. it'll act as surge protection, and any good on-line UPS will also condition the power making it much more stable. You can get basic UPS power bars for like $60 on amazon, just get one of those.
>>
>>100259275
>not sure what that means desu
If your nic supports it, you can have multiple virtual devices at the pci-e level (from the same physical device) and pass them through to multiple vms (not lxc though). Still researching this stuff, don't have the kit to try it yet.
>innovision 3u 16 bay
I've looked at their stuff on ali. I'm in NZ, hence the lack of many local options, but have been looking at silverstone's 20-bay (for $~1000). What are the drive bays like, in terms of build quality and ventilation through the backplane? Will it accept an SFX PSU?
>SFP
I'm leaning towards using SFP for 10G stuff. It runs cooler, and used mellanox nics are reasonably cheap (on ali). Also been eyeing that mikrotik crs-309 10-port sfp+ switch.>>100259327
>>100259327
Looks like it would be a tight fit (inb4 that's what she said). No real ideas for GPUs, I don't bother because I just play stuff directly over SMB instead of transcoding.
>>
>>100259672
>What are the drive bays like, in terms of build quality
pretty good, it's a great toolless mechanism and fairly solid once assembled. the cages rhemselves have freat airflow but the backplane is pretty solid, but it's definately better than most i've worked with from dell or HP
>Will it accept an SFX PSU?
should do, this one comes with a bunch of different plates for the rear to fit a variety of PSU sizes, but eould fit an SFX one at least physically, i don't have one on hand to check the screw positions though but i asked the seller before buying and they said it does so i'll take that
>GPUs
I've just learned that plex (>inb4 try jellyfin, nty) has little support for AMD cards anyway, but I really can't find anything else in this price range and theres enough redditors saying "my <amd whatever> works fine" for me to risk it, worst case I keep using the CPUs like I have been and hse this for AI stuff instead.
>>
>>100255487
on it, hope it helps with the smell

>>100255987
>lenovo thinkcenter, <$100 on ebay and will do basically anything you need for a home server. just get a cheap USB HDD for storage
thanks, will set up a search agent. Already have 2x2tb USB HDDs on the raspi

>>100256866
>>OMV with docker
>You would just copy your settings and docker compose files over to the new setup and replug in everything.
>But if you don't currently have ram or cpu limitations then I wouldn't bother. And if the usb plugs-ins didn't bother you so far, you could go with a tinyminimicro instead - more or less depends on what extra ram you have lying around.
yeah, slept over it and no need to upgrade currently. Hope I can unfuck the base distro so it updates again while maintaining all functionality and not losing a lot of time
>>
>>100259879
Thanks, that's interesting.
>the backplane is pretty solid
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. That silverstone case has each row of drives on its own 'strip' backplane, so it seems the airflow should be ok. Have you tried running it at all? What kind of drive temps do you see? (I guess you probably haven't if you're still looking at PSUs).
>>
>>100260453
just setting it up now with an ATX PSU hanging half out the back
heres a pic of the backplane, it's pretty decent for airflow, i mean it's solid but as I said I've seen much worse from much more ubiquitous brands
i'll run some stress tests on some drives i've got and let you know the temps maube next thread if this is gone by tomorrow. I'd expect anywhere from 50-55 degrees as that what the drives in my dell are running at, i don't have air conditioning and i live in north QLD so it's a bit tricky to manage temps but oh well. this chassis has three fans vs the one in the dell (plus two from aftermarket noctua coolers but it didn't help with drive temps all that much)
>>
>>100260598
>>100260453
>heres a pic of the backplane
i've got the hiccups and it's pissing me off so fucking much
>>
>>100260614
>i've got the hiccups
Hold your breath for 90 seconds
>>
File: 1695886256803899.png (107 KB, 341x361)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
networklet here. If I'm looking at a router that has no dedicated WAN port and only has a bunch of Ethernet ones - can I use the first ethernet port as a WAN port to my modem? I just wantz internetz for funny cat pictures
>>
>>100260598
>>100260614
Yeah, I suppose that's not tooo bad.
>50-55 degrees
That's quite a bit hotter than I'd be comfortable with (but I suppose that's what you get in oz). In my current 8-bay NAS (with 7 seagate exos) I'm able to keep low-load temps (think seeding torrents) to 35-40C with room temp at 25C +/- a bit. I'd be curious how you get on.
>>
>>100260908
Sure try it
>>
>>100260977
room remp here is like 30-35 most of the year, so it's really the same temperautre inside the server (+20 degrees) for both of us, i guess?
>>
>>100261159
>>100261006
>>100260977
>>100260908
>>100260614

new thread you guys

>>100261520

>>100261520

>>100261520
>>
>>100261159
Not quite? My current room temp is 23C, and my disks range from 32-35C, so about +11C avg. That's with a pair of 120mm fans at ~1200rpm (temp controlled). Out of curiosity I just tried bumping the fans to full speed for 5 min and dropped 2C. You'd expect 7 disks with 2 120mm fans to run fairly cool though. It'll depend on the drives too - I run helium ones that iirc have lower idle power than conventional.
>>
>>100261598
so i was running 10 in a diskshelf with basically 2 60mm fans in the back screaming like jets and they all sat at 55
in fact i just went to pull them out after shutting down to swap to the new chassis and i burned myself on the first one i touched
but uh... they've been fine for three years like this so i guess it's ok?

immediately in the new system they show like 32, ambient right now is about 25, but this is right after first boot (after they had cooled down, i went out for dinner) so 3x120mm fans plus 2x60mm is much better i guess
>>
>>100261927
>but uh... they've been fine for three years like this so i guess it's ok?
It's hard on them but disk shelfs at google dcs run at around 55c, although that is the top end for what any of the big tech companies run for their hdds
15 HDDs are cooled by a single 92mm fan with zero room inbetween them, IDK how the shit even works
>>
>>100262100
jewish space magicks

running for half an hour these drives are sitting around 40 degrees on average, so i think i've dropped 10-15 whole degrees in this new case. pic in the new thread

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.