[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1693405223247542.jpg (163 KB, 828x823)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
type shit

don't shill, post music via vocaroo
https://vocaroo.com/

>>121334007
>>
New to production. All critiques are welcome

https://voca.ro/1kBPyrvhq4qn
>>
>>121418005
How new anon?
>hats
Could carry more movement. Maybe try messing around with the velocity of the notes. I don't particularly like the sound selection desu. It sounds almost smeary if that makes sense? Needs something more snappy imo.
Adding a bassline could work wonders too give you something to bob your head to. Feel like the instruments are sparse enough that I have trouble finding a beat.

Hopefully that's helpful and you don't feel like I'm just shitting on your track :)
>>
>>121418005
It's interesting and surprising for sure. What I liked the most was the gated synth tracks starting at 1:03. They bring in lots of movement and body while still keeping with the paranoid vibe of the track. What I liked the least was the hi hats: they're very aggressive, and I think too grating even for your intention. Especially because they're surrounded by such silence, where's it's just the sub kick and the hats. Maybe you can keep them but really bring down the volume and use them way more sparsely, and use a shorter bread and butter hat sound to drive your track - use your current open hat for accents. I would also suggest adding in some more organic, calmer sounds like a pad or a recording of something to act as a mattress for all the abrasiveness you're bringing in. It would really smooth out moments like 1:50 where, because there's nothing in the background and no reverb, my ears feel like they're being scrubbed by an electric toothbrush or something.

https://voca.ro/1beOHRy3ZQwx here's a crazy one I made some time ago - it's kind of stuck because I don't know how to make it more cohesive but I still like it
https://voca.ro/1kY7RTRvq2C9 here's one I made with a friend on pedal steel
>>
>>121418005
lol unironically kinda charming
like it would fit for an ironically shitty game
>>
wrote this yesterday: https://vocaroo.com/1dVDda896v8f

gonna record drums and maybe some synth too on it
>>
>>121414184
>This is good, I feel like it would sound good with some saxophone adlibs added in though. Which is odd for me to say because normally I fucking hate the saxophone in music, but it would work here
thanks! a sax sample hmmm might give it the edge i feel it lacks in the mids
>>
I'm going to make a recording session in my mother's living room because I have microphones, software, a large interface and a piano. The room isn't treated in any way, though. Can I fix it with a high tier convolution reverb? Any suggestions on a specific VST and a specific preset? It's going to be guitar, drums, double bass, piano and vocals, maybe violin.
>>
>>121418826
Depends how clean you want your recording to be. If you want a super clean pop recording, I would advise just recording direct inputs for electric instruments and recording close to the instruments for the rest, and then adding the reverb on your DAW. But you could want to capture the essence of the actual room and use ambiance mics as well as close mics, in which case you don't have to fix them - just accept that your recording will be roomy.
>>
https://voca.ro/1exhAE1CQcUp

I made a beat and put an acapella on it.....how is the beat? Does everything match up well?
>>
>>121418949
thanks for responding

>But you could want to capture the essence of the actual room
that's the problem, I don't want the sound of the room in the recording, because it's just a very dry room that's doesn't have any acoustic treatment whatsoever. It's gonna be only acoustic instruments and the genre is singer-songwriter/folk, maybe I should have said that right away
>>
>>121419141
>it's just a very dry room
Then what is there to "fix?" You can just add reverb after.

Imo that genre is really something where you should record a natural sound with the room included, but if you're dead set against that just close mic only.

De-reverb plugins and such exist but it's very heavy handed and can potentially just fuck your sound.
>>
>>121417137
Shit thread. No resources and unrelated pic.

No wonder I'm having to bump from pate 11
>>
>>121422318
who create thread?
>>
>>121422447
da joos
>>
>>121422318
post roo faggot
>>
>>121422447
A retard or a 12 year old.

>>121422474
Non-sequitur.
>>
>>121422517
yes bro every person that comes in the thread religiously searches for a pastebin with shitty tutorials and refuses to post otherwise
you have to be autistic like theres no way
>>
>>121422553
Generals are supposed to have the information in the OP that people are going to ask for. Lots of retards come here and ask "how do I make music". I did the same shit last year and it's a dumbass question with an obvious answer. People are afraid of making bad songs but still want to make music. People want a quick and easy way to make songs so people like them. They want the facade of being skilled but don't want to buy an instrument, learn how to play or learn about theory. People too afraid to fail over and over until it clicks always try and start creative hobbies and give up at their first wall. It's not worth talking to them but telling them to read the pastebin would be the only thing worth saying to them.
>>
>>121422749
ok start posting music
>>
>>121422553
Spoken like a true subhuman.
You just have to spend 30 seconds to search the archive for opening posts with "prod" in the subject and copying from the first thread that has the links.
If that's "autistically searching" then leave the op to someone with a complete brain.
If you didn't know about the archive, then spend more time lurking before letting your inexperience maje the place worse for everybody else.
>>
>>121422794
it's not that serious man take a breather
>>
>>121422777
https://vocaroo.com/1lKv0TudSYdW
I posted this last thread. I haven't finished what I started today cause I'm running errands. It's just a quick dance song idea but I think it turned OK. My friends don't usually like my shit but they fucked with this so I'm happy.
>>
>>121422811
Subhuman talk
>>
>>121422848
getting mad at how the 4chanz threads in your computer look is subhuman
>>
>>121422811
It's not that serious but it also is man. These threads are very very dead and I don't see why not having the resource I'm the OP doesn't bother you. There are a lot of posts in here that get ignored because there's no pastebin to tell people where to get their cracked daw or samples. As someone who's been torrent since early 2010 until now it's pretty fucking retarded that people don't use Google. There are so many reddit threads full of the info people need. Usually the first result too
>>
>>121422811
If you're not retarded this should all be automatic and subconscious.
You do something, you do it correctly.
Only a retard would decide to do something and fuck it up out of lack of care.
Only a true handicapped retard would then go on to defend his actions, calling those who do it correctly "autistic", as if you need to have a neurological problem to not fuck things up.

If you're above the age of 15, please do us all a favor and kill yourself. This isn't an insult. I actually mean it.
>>
>>121422859
I get mad at the stupid people that make everything worse for everyone else.
It doesn't matter what you think is subhuman, because clearly you're not able to think.
>>
>>121422859
Just because ppl are replying to you doesn't mean you're winning. If you would've just admitted you were wrong nobody would give a fuck but you're doubling down
>>
>>121422889
>>121422900
>>121422922
>>121422939
holy fuck go outside man
>>
>>121422954
You will never get it.
>>
>>121422954
Tragic
>>
Do I switch from Reason to Cubase...?

I will really miss all these reason synths, but god I hate mixing in reason and the workflow is pretty ass. Most fun DAW out there tho, imo.
>>
File: 1657891818382.png (154 KB, 400x457)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
*kills you* :3

https://vocaroo.com/159B9FQR3JYd
>>
>>121418966
>https://voca.ro/1exhAE1CQcUp

It's well produced enough, but it is very repetitive. The part at 0:54 is the hook but the beat doesn't change at all.
>>
https://youtu.be/wXniMK_60aQ?si=zZSf5v3AAlR3BfhW
Bzdengy brzdeng
>>
>>121423590
Oh good point thank you I'll try to think of something to switch it up a bit
>>
>>121423526
I like the way the drums sound
>>
>>121423526
niggas will put an amen break over this and call it music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITcYKKwXPwo
>>
>>121423604
tune your guitar bastard
>>
https://voca.ro/1e7EeBhU2KxX

Do you think there should be a melody in this beat? How can it be improved and does the acapella match it?
>>
https://voca.ro/1bJUPPOHQ878

Another beat no acapella though. What do you think can be improved about it? What's your honest opinion?
>>
File: IMG_2691.jpg (94 KB, 1024x1024)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>121418005
I’ve always played instruments but never really recorded. I just bought an MPC One+ two weeks ago and messed around but this is my first “song.” I’ll try to find a better hat that’s more snappy, maybe put a little distortion on it.
>>121418195
I agree with you and >>121418120
about the hats. I think a quiet pad going on in the background would be nice. I probably should try mixing it since I haven’t touched it from factory.
>>121418312
My sister said the same thing pretty much. You guys wanna bang?

Thanks for the actual critiques anons. I’ll reupload later once I work on it
>>
>>121424332
>>121418120 not >>121418005
>>
>>121424057
>Another
did you not upload this exact beat like a week ago?
>>
>>121417137

https://voca.ro/1jrkGs6tY4f9

Dreamy, rambly synth piece.
>>
>>121424625
Was a couple days ago but didn't get much in response
>>
>>121424057
Ditch the levitate piano, work more with the glitchy voice thing. Everything is muffled, squashed and ugly
>>
I'm fucking shit at producing, I want to end it everyday. I've never made a good track in my 7 years of producing.
>>
>>121424683
Needs bigger drums with rhythm that is more well thought out, fewer hits with more cymbals maybe. Don't throw a dozen Synth flourishes everywhere, try to trim the arrangement and make it work first
>>
>>121424956
Lol that is all the one sample I used I cant remove those things from it but thanks
>>
>>121423963
Lmao
>>
https://vocaroo.com/140B5FPGqxtX

>jungle
>underground

little track i made today, thanks for the listen frens
>>
>>121425822
Really like this anon. Want to try making more jungle stuff myself on the mpc after hearing this.
>>
>>121425890
hey anon thanks. appreciate you taking the time to listen. please do share if you make anything
>>
https://vocaroo.com/1fSpocT5FXrb
>>
>>121423963
it's vital >:(

>>121423961
thanks i just copied sully
>>
Haven't gotten too fancy with the vocal yet, and the drums are very boring but otherwise, thoughts?

https://vocaroo.com/18kdeWUMlB0c
>>
File: american synthesizer.png (233 KB, 548x428)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
I made house music with a loud bass, how does the automation sound?

>>121425822
I think the part before the breakdown could use more variation in the drums but that's a pretty cool track, maybe consider adding some variation on the 808 bass too but I like the synths on it.

>>121425013
lol

>>121424683
Having the drums buried under all the synths doesn't sound good, and why is the ride cymbal so long?

>>121423505
Can't you use Reason as a plugin in other DAWs? Or you could do sound design in Reason and then take your sounds to another DAW.
>>
>>121428980
forgot to post voca
https://vocaroo.com/1dJcqqaAjviJ
>>
>>121425822
This is fun anon. Where do you source your drum breaks? I'm learning jungle production but I'm trying not to use the typical breaks if I can. Also have you picked up the Amigo sampler? It's quite nice
>>
>>121429009
NTA but I've gotten good breaks from Sample Magic on splice. Also the Amigo has a nice sound to it but it's dumb that you can't chop your samples into 1/8 or 1/16 notes, I might as well use Ableton's simpler at that point.
>>
yo lads, I'm currently looking for some easy experimental hiphop beats to remake. I've found some so far but let me know if you know where to find more or artists that make more straightforward beats in the genre.

Thank you, /prod/

from JPEGanon
>>
>>121429299
If its straight forward that’s antithetical to being experimental, as is your whole ethos

The most straight forward “experimental” beats you can do is basically all of Death Grips NLDW
>>
>>121429403
Nah there's definitely experimental stuff that is more straightforward, you don't know enough. 1539 N. Calvert is pretty straightforward but it's not the only beat that is like that out there. A good chunk of Vegyn's beats are straightforward.
>>
>>121429456
I want to hurt you
>1539 N. Calvert
Not experimental
>>
>>121429481
>Not experimental

It is experimental hiphop, don't be obtuse
>>
File: 1541993164586.jpg (13 KB, 196x450)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>121429489
>don't be obtuse
how are you so god damn stupid
It's a straight up hip-hop song made by an artist who also makes experimental hip-hop songs. There is nothing experimental in that particular beat.
>>
>>121429538
>There is nothing experimental in that particular beat.
Brah, you're taking the mickey at this point. Jog on Moby.
>>
>>121425013
Post it, jamal
>>
>>121429299
You'll never make it
>>
>>121428980
>Can't you use Reason as a plugin in other DAWs?
I was using Reason+ (I had 2 coupons that allowed me to use it free for a year), I don't feel it's worth paying the full subscription price and even a full Reason 12 license is expensive at the moment with no sale going on. Meanwhile, I could buy cubase for ~$250 which seems a good deal. I'm impressed particularly by Cubase's compressors and mix console.
>why not pirate?
I prefer owning the daw, and pirating the plugins instead. Since I've been using Reason 12 (under the R+ subscription), I already have a few existing projects and have since found out you cannot open legitimate Reason project files in a pirated copy of Reason.
>>
man i sure wish i didnt have tinnitus
>>
>>121431365
beeeeeeeeeeep oh really? beeeeeeeeeep how can do you manage with it beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like do you hear it right now? beeeeeeeeeeep
>>
SPLICE IS ONCE AGAIN NOT LOADING THE SAMPLES
>>
>>121432859
skill issue
>>121429456
>>121429489
>>121429736
this is bait and we gotta stop giving him attention
>>
File: 1690101956167208.png (276 KB, 400x300)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>how do i make jpeg mafia beats
>>
>>121433009
RETARD ALEEEEERT
>>
>>121423505
I did exactly that; I was using reason (pirated) and then switched to cubase (bought). I think the sale is still going and if you have any other major daw, you can get the competitive crossgrade and get pro for like $250. I can still use pirated reason rack in cubase which fills 99% of my reason needs. if reason had a better sequencer I would have used the daw solely but they seem to refuse to make qol changes.

cubase is amazing though, I highly recommend the switch
>>
>>121433037
maybe he can follow this, it's got all the instructions right there in the beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2Wu2IHLLI
>>
>rough demo
>indie

https://vocaroo.com/1dVDda896v8f
>>
>>121433187
I have another DAW, an old protools license from many many years ago that I hardly used as it was a legitimately terrible introduction to production for me as a teen, put me off for years.
I explained my background with Reason here >>121431132
I'd prefer not to pirate Reason in future if I can avoid it, but I may just have to pirate R11 (not sure a crack for 12 exists?)
>>
>>121433224
do I have autism or schizo or something if i've literally never watched an 18+ youtube video because I was intensely of google/tracking/gangstalkiing etc at one time and that feeling never left after a bad episode like 10 years ago?
Sometimes I forget some of the shit I do is kind of weird.
>>
>>121433562
>>121433224
GOD I miss og LD but he made that song with one of those dudes who were openly raping people on a track where he explicitly mentioned sexism or consent or some shit??? Not about that
Idk man dude went hard, maybe my timelines mixed up, but that kind of says poseur to me. Bro was real tho
>>
>>121433562
Damn, you're good. We tried to trick you into clicking that. We've lost a little control lately and it was our first attempt at getting it back.
>>
>>121433696
:/

I know it sounds stupid but that type of anxiety gets physical
>>
>>121433755
we're in your walls nigga
>>
>>121418005
POA: you are in a boss battle in the world's worst pixel art RPG, the boss is emitting streams of fireballs in parabolic streams
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 779x265)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
People say not to apply high-pass filters because it fucks with the phase or some shit. Is there really no downside in leaving these inaudible frequencies in there? Won't it contribute to the overall volume and cause clipping even if it can't be heard? It feels wrong to leave it in there even if I can't hear it. Seems so unnecessary.

This is from a bass guitar. I can't hear a difference when I apply a steep high-pass at around 50Hz even with average studio monitors (KRK G5).
>>
>>121433914
>Won't it contribute to the overall volume
the opposite is usually true actually.
High passing *a lot* can give you more headroom and decrease the literal volume, but the pervasive "oh and I high pass at 30 hz because... uh, because mud" actually gives you a volume jump for no audible benefits.

If you can't hear a difference don't do it.
>>
>>121433962
>If you can't hear a difference don't do it.
What about people who might? Assuming I don't cut it, isn't there a risk that it will sound completely overwhelming for people who have a setup that can replicate such low frequencies?

I will stop doing it though. I have liberated the 1st band of my parametric EQ; no longer must it serve the same function.
>>
>>121433914
>I can't hear a difference when I apply a steep high-pass at around 50Hz even with average studio monitors (KRK G5).
Depending on your speaker size it may be that its woofers are too small to produce sub-bass below that frequency. I have a pair of KRK G5 RP5 (the 5" ones) on my desk, and they cannot go below 54HZ.
Use good headphones to double-check what the bass is doing.
>>
>>121434299
>>If you can't hear a difference don't do it.
I don't mean that literally btw, just as a general rule of thumb when it comes to mixing. There are going to be people who just have a better ear than you or a better listening setup, of course.

This is the type of thing spectral analyzers can help you with- when you just see *some* stuff down there, it's not going to cause phasing or "buildup" later on in your signal chain if it's really quiet and not coming from ten other sources as well, in which case, your arrangement or sound selection is already fucking you over and you have bigger problems to worry about.

Before that though, you should consider fundamentals frequencies of the sounds you're using: you may see some frequencies below the intended note after distortion or if there's layered noise etc but logically you can deduce that that all is going to be significantly quieter and not interfere with lower notes from other instruments in some way.
If you're recording in a room and there's an audible hum from some source, then yes, maybe you should consider cutting to reduce the buildup of that hum; regarding phase shift though, you would also pose the possibility of linear phase EQs being a better option depending on your mic setup and if you're recording a group etc though.
-I don't advocate that you *never* do it, and truth be told it's not even that harmful of a thing to do, I'm just saying think logically about *why* you would do it.
>>
>>121433962
>If you can't hear a difference don't do it.
I've found this is generally the best advice. If it sounds good, it is good.
If you can't hear it I recommend getting some good headphones or going a step further with something like VSX.
>>
>>121433914
>>121434452
Also, this video on youtube might be of interest. Look up: Mixing Loud with CTZ - Ep. 17 - Should you HPF the sub region? (Low end control Pt. 2)
>>
>>121433962
>actually gives you a volume jump
It can but not always, depending on how the waveform changes shape after the phase shift.
>>
File: 1684183486025121.gif (463 KB, 500x313)
463 KB
463 KB GIF
I think I've found my spark back, after so long.

I have been looking forward to working on my music nearly every day since I started experimenting more. I haven't felt like this in about a year and a half.
>>
>>121435114
Sick, same :)
Stay off /prod/ so nobody tries to splash splash on your flame ;)

(foster the invincible summer within you)
>>
>watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XGXz6SHco
>try to mix drums on my own, not use presets
>sounds worse than presets

I mostly adjusted the compression. The problem seems to be a weird sound when listening in the full context. In a part where the drums hit hard with cymbals, it sounds as if it takes away the music's "breath". For that short moment of time, everything sounds quieter and hollow. How come?
>>
When designing your atmospheric pads, how do you get outside the trap of just C-B over again?
>>
>>121435863
You what? Sevenths? Just write chords???

Inversions bro.
>>
>>121435680
sounds like too much compression based on what you're saying. try lowering the ratio or easing off the threshold some and see if that makes a difference.
i usually find any more than 3-5dB of gain reduction on drum busses winds up taking away rather than adding.

think about it this way. by compressing your drums you're just taming the peaks and bringing the noise floor up closer to 0dB. you want to preserve the dynamics so that there's a difference in the quiet parts and the loud parts. that difference is where the "punchyness" comes from.
>>
>>121435925
I think I misspoke, I'm talking about pitch shifting an already existing pad sample to use.

Like this:
https://vocaroo.com/1dgzd4P7RAI0
>>
>>121436061
i mean what else can you do with it
write your own chords
>>
https://vocaroo.com/1gCPW2rcqPLL

made this via AI. I used stem separation to mix it better and compiled parts from different versions. you guys have no idea how pissed i am that it's actually this over.
>>
File: 1701373078772006.png (272 KB, 1000x800)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>121436780
frosty breath i take a step
>>
>>121436780
>https://vocaroo.com/1gCPW2rcqPLL
this is terrible and I actually like some AI stuff
this is like a bad street fighter song
>>
>>121436976
you just hate rap music we get it.
>>
I'm trying to use the circle to mix different tonics together but even when I try using samples in C/Am with G/ Dm i can't get it to click. Is there a video or web page you guys read that helped you learn about what I'm describing? Also wtf happened to the simple sampler in ableton 12? I don't want to speed up my samples when I load them on my keyboard. Did they get rid of it?
>>
can you tell i haven't slept
https://vocaroo.com/1ngvw8ifcgtM
>>
>>121437448
i think this is a cool idea go deeper harmonically i would say. I saw opn live a few days ago and was blown away at the harmonic beauty he captures while still hitting hard in an abstract sort of way.

>rough demo
>indie

https://vocaroo.com/1dVDda896v8f
>>
File: lain.gif.gif (1.39 MB, 256x256)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
prototype deep techno lain mix thing
>>
https://vocaroo.com/11bh2pFVjPcq
oops lol
>>
>>121437868
why do you add those goofy synths bro god damn lol
>>
>>121437951
idk haha it needed a little something
I know the mix is kinda bad but is the synth line really that bad??
>>
>>121437448
this is tight, I like how it's more fucked up and experimental with some EDM sounds as opposed to EDM with a couple fucked up sounds sprinkled in like it usually is. You should definitely keep going on this one
>>
>>121437192
>I'm trying to use the circle to mix different tonics together but even when I try using samples in C/Am with G/ Dm i can't get it to click

How are you mixing them? If you're playing samples in different keys all at once, it's probably not going to work. Even if two samples are in the same key, that doesn't necessarily means they will work together.
Imagine slamming all the white keys on a piano at once. You'd be playing only notes in C major, but because it's so cluttered, it'll just sound like a mess.
It is possible harmonize samples in different keys, but it's not like there's a one size fits all solution to making it sound good.
>>
>>121425015
>>121428980

Thanks for the input. I caught some errors while reviewing the project; I took the snare off of stereo expand to make it more present and remastered everything else.

Rhythmically, it was intended to be a staggering pace in the midsection. I don't know what time signature it is, but it's not anything I've heard much of and because of that I like it.

Anyway, thanks.

https://voca.ro/11pJg0RrStP5
>>
ugh, i don't wanna mix, or learn how to mix, but i gotta if i want a truly refined product, and i'll never trust anyone but myself to actualize my creative vision. what a pain.
>>
>>121439438
mixing is not important if youre music sucks, mixing doesnt matter if youre musics really good
>>
Wondering if i should save the money for plugins or it’s worth it. I already have 11 lite. I’ve heard reason is really fun and explorative which is why i’m considering it
>>
>>121440301
First half of the post didn’t send but I have ableton Live 12 suite and bitwig studio 4.

I like how both of those DAW’s are easy to explore creatively with max for live and the grid. I was wondering if Reason 12 for $180 would be worth it
>>
>>121439661
this is coping. most of the young people getting famous now are current or former electronic musicians whose refined skills are mixing and arranging. electronic music is like 80% mixing nowadays.
>>
>>121440816
You have Suite but you still want more plugins? What exactly are you looking for?
>>
https://vocaroo.com/154uMGQPC1Nf
>>
>>121417137
>finally technically proficient after 12 years of learning /prod/ since early teens
>get depressed and lose interest in /prod/ entirely
how do I get my creativity back bros
>>
>>121425822
This is super good. Very clean
>>121437868
Reminds me of AnCo. I kind of like the synths

Tried making a lofi beat
https://voca.ro/1hCvIsoKTZZg
>>
>>121440301
I love Reason it doesn't do everything well but I think explorative is a good way to put it, it has a ton of sound design tools and the whole virtual rack system is very fun and intuitive. Pay for it if you want but I bet you can also find a cracked copy out there easily
>>
>>121437622
This track is really nice. I wish the drums would switch up a bit. I really like the vocals.
>>
>>121441001
I don’t know, i’m kind of retarded. I guess i just meant save money or buy reason basically lol
>>
>>121441754
This is what I was looking for. It seems like ableton and bitwig are the best daws for exploring sound design in a fun and intuitive way and reason seems like it’s right up there with them.
>>
>>121438117
>with some EDM sounds as opposed to EDM with a couple fucked up sounds
Hahaha that was 100% conscious.
I’m still wel into having an EDM moment but I watched basquiat again and it made me feel like a poseur and like I need to get back into IDM or something

>>121437622
>opn live
Awww luckyyy <.<

>>121441690
Genre switch bro
Finding things to be obsessed with or creating mini goals is what drives me after.... years...
>>
File: 1697909226127772.jpg (51 KB, 736x736)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>121441690
what is beauty to you? where do you meet it? is it a personal conviction you perceive, or a truth you are simply told?

i think it's best to seek out these practices, not as a way to gain fame, attention, and fortune for yourself, but as a way to transcend our tragically human condition. it is a working form of worship, to exalt the fundamental frequency, whose overtones and harmonics are now ringing out in what we know as the cosmos, the perfect order. if you seek out this as a means to an end, rather than the end itself, you will never find true satisfaction in the struggle, nor will you find true wholeness in the result. you must dutifully continue your work to benefit humanity and improve the tragically human condition, this is your duty as a musician. you asked how to get your creativity back, but it never truly left you, you maybe just started to pursue certain misconceptions, which both distracted you and prevented your creativity to flow so naturally because this is in all of us. in this epoch, the conscious mind is asleep, kept unaware of itself, manipulated into accepting a corrupted parody of reality. once we are aware of this, the power that once gripped us loosens, as we realize our true, divine nature.

so create, dear anon. life is suffering, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying to themselves, or attempting to manipulate you, but it is exactly in the struggle of survival that we may find true meaning and purpose. that is why we continue.
>>
File: crash-n-burn_3.jpg (59 KB, 600x440)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>121425822 made me want to make Jungle of my own. I usually make other genres but chopping breaks and putting wacky samples over it is fun, can any Jungle chads give advice on how they process drum breaks?
https://vocaroo.com/1aJdXdqtsSNA

>>121441883
If you want a new toy to play with then sure, buy it. Your license of Live Suite would make Reason mostly redundant, but people like moving around the wires in the virtual rack.

>>121437448
This sounds like a cry for help.

>>121436780
You think this sounds good? Even if the technology gets better it's only going to be good at making the most common denominator type shit.

>>121436061
You don't always have to print out a chord to resample when making atmospheric music, it just makes the music process easier while also being more formulaic.
>>
>>121442708
fuck off
>>
>>121442708
I know you're trying to be nice and inspirational to anon but this is kind of really gay and corny and annoying. You write like a 16 year old.
>>
>>121442708
>what is beauty to you?
Basically A.G Cooks melodies. Nothing more.
>>
>>121433914
>People say not to apply high-pass filters because it fucks with the phase or some shit.

Idiots are exaggerating the issue. EQ causes phase shifting because it literally IS phase shifting. When you cut you lower the volume where the shift is happening which is why it's generally better to cut than to boost. Just don't use crazy steep filters with infinite Q. If the EQ is mild then the shift is, even if it's a boost don't worry about it, also if the LF content is low volume then it's not as big an issue.

This tip is somewhat old fashioned and comes from back when every track was recorded live and everything had a shit-ton of noise and bleeding. Your bass guitar is a good candidate though.

There's no inaudible magic happening, what you hear is what you hear. Compress, EQ, distort and clip to your heart's content, if it sounds good it is good.

>Won't it contribute to the overall volume and cause clipping even if it can't be heard?

We're talking about waves that are barely audible, they're picked up by your super sensitive plug-ins. At ten or twenty times lower it's not going to compete with your material. But if you had 16 other tracks of recorded drums and devices with similar noise, then you could run into issues.
>>
Anyone have a good guide to Logic Pro? Just got it today but was a bit intimidated by everything different that’s not in Garage Band. Also recommend plugins?
>>
what is op image implying? that you can get high off ibuprofen?
>>
>>121445273
jah used to do it all the time and he turned out fine
>>
>>121435953
The problem is that I don't know how to make them loud without compression. The drums sound kinda quiet, I add more gain and then it clips.

I'm not at the computer now, but I will try and post a snippet of the drums I don't like.
>>
>>121445273
That they have an eating disorder and want to ulcerfy their stomach lining
>>
DnB was at its peak 2011-2013
>>
>>121445273
youre not supposed to use it on an empty stomach
>>
>>121441823
super rough, so drums are just a loop for now. gonna rerecord with actual drums soon.

>>121440821
assuming that they were talking about electronic music then yeah. for all other kinds of music what i said is true.
>>
What's the form for a drum part accompanying an 8 bar melody section? Can I just repeat a 4 bar pattern twice and stick a fill at the end? Loop a 2 bar pattern twice with minor variation? Thanks.
t. Noob
>>
hmm
put some sax samples in between
i need to spread them out more
how do you guys feel about the change of the vibe?
https://voca.ro/18V3QWnEK9qK
>>
>>121447126
loop the drums until you have a full concept, then go in and add variations or record it live to midi as if a real drummer is playing it. If youre talking about electronic music I cant help you.

>>121447165
not a huge fan of sax in electronic music but thats just me. Also something about this sounds lofi, like the kick is a little chinzty and the vocals are a little fuzzy. I would go for pure hi fi for this kind of thing.
>>
>>121447226
really?
well if the kick's already not the genre i'm trying to go for
damn
>>
>>121438631
Is there any video on YouTube or if you had time, could you give me any advice on going about using samples correctly? This is my usual process
>find melody
>go through my drum breaks while listening to find something that I like
>try to find a bass sample and line it up with something on the drum track
Around here or when I look up pad samples to layer is when things fall apart. I also don't really know what I'm supposed to use as layers for harmony. I thought that's what pads were for but it seems like pads can also be the leading sound.
>>
>>121447233
it sounds good when the bass comes in, but on its own it doesnt sound that good. Also consider saving the sax for the build up and after the drop to savor it if you like it. some chords in a stereo pad or synth might help solidify a vibe too
>>
>>121446240
strange sight but an incredibly based take in a sea full of bad prod posts
>>
>>121446216
Going to highly recommend watching Baphometrix's CTZ series. I used to struggle with getting things loud before I watched those videos, understood the tools and understood how what I was doing affected the signal.
Baphometrix's technique boils down to getting loudness in the mix, not the master by saturating and clipping throughout the project on the track level and bus levels.
Happy to suggest where I'd start after hearing the drum track if that's helpful.
>>
>>121446240
>90s jungle dnb blocks your path
>>
>>121447967
>sewerslvt blocks your path
>>
>>121448679
2/10 bait
>>
>>121448789
Metalheadz era shit is so god damn repetitive and boring.
It's emotionless by comparison.
Sewerslvt is much more evocative and actually bothers to include memorable melodies.
Not bait, there is no comparison.
>>
I kinda want to get a sampler. They look cool but I'm already pretty bad at sampling in ableton. Is there any portable sampler that comes with stock sounds? I feel like a sampler might help me learn how to chop breaks or use samples in a more natural manner. Anyone here with a sampler have advice on what kind of sampler is good to get? Price tag doesn't matter.
>>
>>121448972
>feel like a sampler might help me learn how to chop breaks or use samples in a more natural manner
oh anon...
>>
Is the upgrade from Bitwig 4 to 5 worth it? The grid is the only thing that interests me with Bitwig so i’m trying to see if the 250 is worth it
>>
File: 1695255310712318.png (505 KB, 1194x1200)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>renoise won't maximize on a 150% scaled display
>vital is so big I can't even close it
Ok.
>>
>>121447967
jungle anon do u have any cool recs
>>
>>121449183
Why don't people have conversations anymore I just wanted advice
>>
>>121448972
Sounds like you're looking to trade one can of worms for another. Is your goal really to learn how to sample better or is it to get a new toy? If you just want another box to fuck around with that's fine, but what people won't tell you is that every one of these samplers has their own workflow and system on it that you're going to have to take time to learn - just like Ableton.

I've used a lot of stuff from Koala Sampler on phones to a Korg Volca Sample and my current end game is an MPC Live 2. If I can answer any questions about any of those I'm happy to anon :)

>>121449493
LTJ Bukem's Best of goodlooking Playlist is on Spotify and YouTube. Think it's a great set of tracks.
Personal favorite album pick for me is Shelflife 3 by Calibre.
Hope you enjoy!
>>
>>121449594
m8 u fockin wot
it was just a dumb neg. There was nothing to go off of for having a conversation because we don't know where you're at skill wise or what's troubling you.

There are literally rex files that just auto chop into abletons simpler/drum rack, files auto warp on the timeline, there's maximum control.
Having a tiny screen with a bunch of buttons and menu diving is 100% not going to feel more natural or teach you how to sample when you don't already know what you're doing.
>>
>>121449726
Yeah basically switching the flavor of worms in eating to see if I prefer the taste of them compared to what I already eat. I really enjoy hardware. I enjoy using my keyboard to manipulate sounds. I've had the itch to get a sampler for a while. I didn't think most of them were going to have a 1k price tag. Is there any sampler with stock sounds that doesn't cost a lot? I'm not really interested in using apps because I'll get distracted by other things on my phone

>>121450274
Having less options and distractions helps me personally. Sometimes being on the computer is a distraction cause I have too many possibilities that my brain can't lock in on any single thing to work on.
>>
>>121450434
I like the KO 2. It’s basic but you can do a lot with it. $400
>>
>>121450502
Nice I'll look into this. I'm hoping to find one I can buy in a store. I hate online shopping. Are the any brands I should avoid at all cost? I'm sure there has to be a company that takes advantage of people like me
>>
>>121450596
They all take advantage of us anon. If it seems worth it to you and you have fun with it, then it’s worth it. I think guitar center sells KO 2’s. Amazon has them as well (last I looked.) you’ll have to get used to the work flow as >>121450434 stated. It’s not too terrible though as the limitations of it don’t allow you to get lost in options

Here’s one of my first songs with a sample I made on it

https://voca.ro/1MzDR5WpvNXO
>>
>>121450434
Online, you'll probably find that a "groovebox" is more along the lines of what you're looking for over a straight up sampler. Looks like there's tons of videos on YouTube about grooveboxes.
Never owned any of these but at one time I was looking at the Elektron Model:Cycles/Samples and Korg Electribe models. Also have a friend that swears by his Novation Circuit. Think any of those will work for what you want. If you want to go super cheap, I can recommend the Korg Volca series though they can be a bit finicky imo. Same thing with the TE PO line.

Caveat with all of these is that they aren't going to be a DAW replacement. Should be great if you just want something new to jam with and experiment though.
>>
>>121450709
Thanks I think I'm going to go with the sp 404. They're in stock near me and 100 dollars more really won't kill me. That intro scared the fuck out of me. But this is really cool and exactly what I'm looking for style wise. Appreciate it man
>>
>>121450757
>>121450762
Didn't even think of the sp404. Think that'll be a great device. Know a lot of performing artists that travel around with that thing doing live shows.

By the way, you can find some great sample packs online for drums. I'd recommend finding one or two goto drum packs and just using those so you don't get overwhelmed with options.
>>
>>121450762
Yeah the beginning is a little loud haha.
It was a toss up between the KO and the 404. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it and I know it’s got way more options. Have fun anon!
>>
File: blingknuck.gif (386 KB, 210x354)
386 KB
386 KB GIF
>>121450762
I just got a 404 a week ago and I really fucking love it. Fits right into my setup and is a ton of fun to disconnect and take outside. I've mostly been plugging my desk crt and gameboy into it and sampling stuff for later. It's also given a lot more life to useless shit I've bought like Korg gadget for switch.

These aren't great but maybe someone will find a use - some gameboy (pokemon crystal) some gundam some cps2 (puzzle fighter) and some miyazaki movie

https://vocaroo.com/18HUcMyiiB7L

(bonus acid jam thing with the 404 and my other stuff)
https://voca.ro/15JySKK8XlLU
>>
>>121451472
also feel free to ask anything you wanna know before buying if you're on the fence
>>
>>121439201

https://voca.ro/1hFcxGvhEx4o

Wrote this dedicated to the birds nesting outside my window. No, I've never played Final Fantasy.
>>
>read all this stuff about Gb major being a spiritually significant key
>tune synth to put Gb4 at 360 hz
>bird starts chirping along to my synth, in key, even copying me rhythmically
what the fuck bros
>>
>>121452876
based undiagnosed schizophrenia anon
>>
>>121452880
i recorded it, i am just having fun before the moment passes because what the fuck this has never happened before
>>
>>121451488
>>121451472
https://youtu.be/APflY0nCfnM?si=5B6xB4BUbqQrQstO
Both of these sound cool. The acid jam is one i like more. I got mine I'm watching this video I linked above to learn about it. I'm really fucking pissed but only because I need a 32GB SD card specifically to update the firmware since the one I got is on 2.00. I didn't know this before I rushed off to the store. I got a 128GB cause I won't need more than that and it was on sale. now I have to go buy ANOTHER SD card, use that to upgrade the firmware then return it. If you have any tutorial videos or tips about loading samples on to it feel free to give me whatever. I plan on using this all weekend. I don't really know anything about it yet since I'm still running around getting shit together
>>
>>121452880
>>121452889
https://voca.ro/14taPOUd2BMb
sorry for the shit quality, and i live in a stupid ass city, but you can hear very faintly in the recording the chirps as a sort of response to my synth's call. i do not hear the chirping so frequently now, only when i was playing was the bird chirping like this.
na nuh- chirp chirp
na nuh- chirp chirp
na nuh na nuh na nuh
>>
>>121453061
I grew up with birds in the house and this is what they do. If you start to do it at the same time regularly you'll notice it's waiting for you.
Even crows will talk back to you / sing with you once you get them used to you.
>>
>>121453208
in all my time playing, this has never happened to me. i didn't believe it was happening at first, i seriously thought it was the pitchbend squeak on my organ patch, but it became too irrhythmical. it seemed to struggle until i reached their register, and they seem to respond to chirpy type playing, aswell as the musical call and response, which fucking blows my mind because of how intentional it is. it went crazy trying to copy the musical scale too, but it only stayed in Gb/Bb. i never knew birds in this way, no less nature. it was always something you look at in a zoo, or from a computer screen, or have kept docile in a "sanctuary". being able to interact with it in this way, musically, feels so fucking crazy, i wish i could see the bird chirping. i'm definitely setting out seeds and water on my balcony because, well, that bird deserves a reward for it's beautiful singing. i know the native americans tuned their flutes to Gb to honor the earth, but i don't know if this is why, or if that's even the reason why the bird started chirping in the first place. my reality is shattered, i am in awe, and now i have a new song to create. thanks for sharing, anon. i never had anyone to play music with, but now i guess i do ^w^
>>
>>121452544

https://voca.ro/1gFqmQyn5O89

Another loop.
>>
File: 20240418_215353.jpg (3.39 MB, 2271x3028)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>supports SD cards up to 1TB
Would you ever need more than 10GB of samples on any kind of sampler? I know you can make a bunch of different sets. I get the impression that with a sampler you don't want to put a lot of shit on them.
>>
>>121453439
Birds like tweeting along to noises
It's not that fucking mind blowing dude lmao
>>
File: 1582696276810.jpg (38 KB, 734x647)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
sleep for a thousand years
~grinding my mouth and genuinely been seeing shit like i'm on ice lmao

https://vocaroo.com/135ZdJWSTbtb

yes I hear it but too sleepy and the thirds are hitting weird
>>
>>121455173
>a thousand
atomic fireballs.
moto senpai~poi :3
God damn. I love this; on the level of Dick James with that late 90s, early 00s sound.
>>
>>121455337
>dick
<3

Thanks I only used plugins from up to 2005 xD
>>
>>121455421
>plugins from up to 2005
massively based ;)
>>
File: huh.jpg (41 KB, 610x591)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
https://vocaroo.com/162U9nW2ChwK

does this even remotely sound good?
>>
File: 1597615404248.jpg (28 KB, 512x512)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>121455173
>https://vocaroo.com/135ZdJWSTbtb
Immediately I like it, within like a single second I was happy. An active yet calming atmosphere. :22 the synth harshes the vibe, unwelcome- get out of this nice situation we had. The reason why the synth melody bothered me is because it isn't sing-able, which could be a weird and unreasonable criticism but that's my way of putting it. There are melodies that jump around and aren't singable but this one isn't working. I think it's because of the large interval jumps that are quick.

I think the synth at :22 is a copy-paste of the plucked string intro I loved so much. The reason why it sounds so good on a stringed 'chordal' instrument is because that's what it's meant to do - pluck chords/arpeggios and harmonize. But the Synth (especially when it's held out and legato) is much more like a human voice, and when it sings the notes from the intro it doesn't convey the easy stepwise motion a voice is predisposed to singing.

Good job
>>
File: 1530136720456.gif (1.26 MB, 640x480)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
>>121455769
>https://vocaroo.com/162U9nW2ChwK
:02 seconds in YES IT DOES REMOTELY SOUND GOOD I WANT TO DRIVE FAST IN THE FUTURE.
:33 Yes that was the right time to do that
:40 again yes do that now
1:00 I'm still judging you, I have thinky face about what you're going to do but I'm still not un-impressed
1:30 who am I kidding, you're doing just fine. None of these little bleeps and bips are annoying. MAYBE they could be like, idk 'fuller'? produced to be more broad, if only occasionally.
Enjoyed the main theme coming back.

Great sense of form, you know exactly how to gather a little ball of music momentum and move it around when it should. If you were to improve in any way it'd be in memorable melodies. I'm left humming the bass synth thing (repeated in the organ halfway an octave higher) but to me there doesn't feel like a clear melody. It's begging for some singer to riff over it.
>>
>>121425822
hey man i think the groove is off on the first pad part
it sounds like it's on the 1 but so late it loses the beat, try to rearrange it so it's more cleanly on the offbeats iykwim
>>
>>121417137
What does image mean
>>
>>121456013
Homosexual dog whistle
>>
File: 1634723121203.jpg (34 KB, 680x487)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I thought of this little three part thing while folding laundry. Then I added a little ding dong ding above and slapped a cringe drum loop on that captured the gist of what I'm going for:
https://vocaroo.com/12Vy1gu4cbFA
>>
>>121455881
absolutely insane feedback, you're a saint anon
>>
>>121456084
>>121456085
>>121456086
Neat!
>>
>>121456086
I might as well use my masters on frens :] If I'm talking bullshit someone please call me out I'm just a classical guy that knows nothing about production
>>
>>121456085
wtf. This is based. Nice work.
I'm going to be humming "bumble bee bumbumubmbum bumble bee" all day tomorrow.
>>
File: hug.jpg (65 KB, 1024x577)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>121456255
If you were to put words to the bumblebees, what would they else could they possibly bumble be?
>>
File: 430.jpg (32 KB, 680x472)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
First reply to this post is the lyrics of my next ditty
>>
>>121456350
dmp is the best prod is bad
>>
File: 1509139207153.png (93 KB, 1288x2148)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>121456364
Delivery!
https://vocaroo.com/1d8bw7KpcQ4O
>>
File: 1507883440673.png (42 KB, 655x509)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>121456664
>off by two
>>
new rock song i made!

https://vocaroo.com/1odqi2eIQaqh

>90s inspired
>samples the weeknd and the coors and the beastie boys
>>
File: 1506696112959.png (27 KB, 354x286)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>121457222
>https://vocaroo.com/1odqi2eIQaqh
Your voice is nice :)
Playing rollercoaster tycoon 3 and bumping this rn
1:30, not 90's but i like it
1:40 I like this reverse voice, it's like that one song that's like "i'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me." and/or "they were all in love with dying... comin' down the mountain" idk the song
well done. Are you some kind of british or an american doing a beetles inflection?
>>
>>121456085
>>121456664
singing is easy
>>
File: IMG_1925.jpg (9 KB, 194x259)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Someone please tell me how to make a JPEGMAFIA type beat or any experimental hiphop beat. I've been stuck for the past 8 years. Idk how to learn
>>
>>121457341
thanks so much, i'm actually australian :/
>>
Pretty excited to learn my 404. Anyone else learning new gear this weekend
>>
idk about the genre for this one

https://voca.ro/15vgRcu0MkK7
>>
Every time I want to do a song with some *fancy* chord stuff I realize what a fuck up it was never taking up piano and learning at least a handful of soundtrack songs; I have to relearn the suitable context of these random ass augmented and altered 9s from fucking youtube tutorials every couple months fuck
>>
>>121459654
I'm learning the ins and outs of recording vocals
>>121456364
>>121456664
What is dmp?
>>
>>121456664
kek based
>>
>>121461465
<3
>>121461331
Idk if you need to play piano to do chord stuff. I sang >>121456664 without any idea what the chords actually were, I just could imagine all the notes that needed to be there and then avoided the bad sounding ones. Although there is a crunchy minor 2nd on the word "best", it was intentional but I have no idea what chord it's supposed to be.

>>121456085
Still stuck in my head
>>
>>121461331
>here's your chord chart bro
>>
I'm losing my mind with my fucking iRig midi controller. It keeps crashing and the notes get stuck and I can't trigger new notes. I'm not even sure if it's ableton or the controller. I connected it to a different port and disabled all other midi devices, but it keeps crashing. Any ideas?
>>
>>121462515
This is awesome! It's so well organized! I've always wanted something like this for minor keys, thanks anon. Do you want to know how it works?
>>
https://voca.ro/1b0JbEAk2qgg

What are some opinions on this?
>>
>>121462737
>Do you want to know how it works?

It's the circle of fifths mapped out onto a flow chart you silly goose
>>
>>121433037
lost of YouTube tutorials / instrumental remakes / breakdowns for jpegmafia songs just look at those a lot of his newer beats aren't even really complicated but something like veteran era shit or amhac is a bit more complicated
>>
>>121437868
reminds me of Tek lintowe
>>
>>121462515
I can't follow this I started music 1 year ago mid 20s. Is it over
>>
went to record drums with a friend for this track (https://vocaroo.com/1dVDda896v8f) and the product was not ideal. I suggested that we record individual drum hits to tape and sample them. Have you guys tried doing anything like that before, how did it turn out?
>>
>>121444642
if u want to feel inspired or motivated maybe look into similar artists to ag cook / PC music (Sophie, Dylan Brady, Himera? idk) or listen to what they were inspired by when they were making music, good luck Anon
>>
>>121462934
NO IT'S A MAP OF TONAL HARMONY YOU FOOL. A circle of fifths wouldn't be concerned with Roman numerals
>>
>>121463081
You're fine, this is complicated. Also you don't really need it, it's just useful.

>>121456350
I wanna make another ditty, someone post silly words to say
>>
File: 7xj7yxnk4am71.jpg (211 KB, 2828x2516)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
I'm about to buy a new controller. Keystep pro, or the 49SL?
It's replacing a keystep. I'm just tired of only having one channel at a time w/ midi and my hardware synths are just growing in number.
>>121449493
Not the person you're asking but the more people who hear the switch up in this song the better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFU6_PC9rcU
>>121452974
avoid all of the youtubers, especially ones with SP in their name. The Roland official videos on both the device itself and the 4.0.4 update have been the best source of info for me aside from the manual.
>>121453439
If you have dogs, bring some kibble outside and throw it when you see a bird. Do this for 3 days in a row and the bird will follow you for months.
>>
>>121462515
If it's for a minor key, is im the same as just i?
isn't lower case i always m? I don't actually know I've just been operating on that for a month or so.
>>
>>121463308
Yes, im is just i. Non standard shorthand
>>
>>121449726
Shelflife 3 was great, looking forward to LTJ Bukem's stuff
>>121463228
>Not the person you're asking...
Alright yeah that was dope as hell
>>121462515
Nice fucking tree of life, dude
>>121463308
Nta who replied to you but to add on, it could be written like that partially because it was generalized from a specific key where you would have had Cm instead of im (general example). See:
https://www.mugglinworks.com/chordmaps/chartmaps.htm
>>
File: harmonic circle.png (33 KB, 362x393)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>121463122
woah it's crazy that there are roman numerals in my circle of fifths

>>121463081
No
>>
>>121453439
>>121454445
Birds do literally live to tweet noses they hear. It's because they have selected for that fair via sexual selection: their females only fuck good mimickers.

But it is beautiful and magical to get a bird to song with you. Mozart owned a bird for this reason.

>Native Americans tuned flutes to Gb to honor the earth

Mmmhmm and I'm sure it was the A=440 Gb and not the A=432 G. The embarrassing things people say to cheer on natives holy crap. The native American elder that talked to me as a child pointed to a noisy street and said "if you open your mind, you can hear the music we hear in a traffic jam." They say whatever they can to seem wise in any way, when their wisdom and spiritual insights are the same caliber as their ability to invent the wheel
>>
>>121463475
real ones stick to 432
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebGoqwREfkw
>>
>>121463433
>tries to dunk by showing a circle of fifths with Roman numerals
>the circle doesn't have 12 points for each of the 12 pitches, it stops at 7 because he found a diatonic circle of fifths that stays within a key (which is the whole point of using Roman numerals, to show each pitch's/chord's function in a key)
>the inner circle is just the parallel minor, also not a complete circle of fifths because it remains in a single key

I gotta come here more often, the dummies have way too much confidence
>>
>>121463609
I was trying to fuck with you, it's funny how people take music theory way too seriously
>>
I didn't do anything for months because I had zero motivation, today I opened ableton and revisited my last projects. Surprisingly I kinda like it, but I don't know why I should bother working on it. If I had friends, I could play my stuff with real instruments and maybe get gigs. But as I do it now it seems like such a waste of time, I don't know.

Any thoughts on the idea?

https://vocaroo.com/11fFGxQYCrFi
>>
>>121463735
>https://vocaroo.com/11fFGxQYCrFi
sounds like a jrpg beach town song or something (in a good way)
also stop acting like Eeyore, it's weird
>>
>>121463735
Agreed on good jrpg Beach music.
Horn comes in a little loud and abrupt, and its first 3 repetitions could have been varied (but maintain the rhythm and contour)
>>
>>121462809
Any improvements on this beat?
>>
>>121465420
https://voca.ro/1i8zvQyUNgNg

Or this beat?
>>
>>121465420
turn the clap down and reverb/eq your stuff dude
>>
File: marvel-comics-hulk.jpg (421 KB, 1276x1920)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
https://vocaroo.com/15BM70TvhFaX

what do we think lads?
>>
>>121456013
deftones
>>
>>121465982
cool but the snare could be better.
i made this, has no snare hehe. https://vocaroo.com/101Ni1HkPSsD
>>
what are some shoegaze/indie songs which drums use the breakbeat pattern:

kick kick snare snare kick snare kick snare

trying to get inspo for a drum part but drawing a blank
>>
>>121466305
I really like this, has an interesting mood to it, I am more used to songs that have a dream like ethereal quality to them, to also sound melancholic, but this sounds more positive/ hopeful (at least to me anyway). It is nice, I like it.
>>
Bros, I'm stuck. I feel like I'm not learning anything new. How do I learn new techniques? I want to make experimental hiphop but don't know how to tackle it. Feels like I don't have enough experience or knowledge of enough techniques to know what the elements are. What should I do?
>>
File: 1542689661065.png (194 KB, 448x468)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>121467158
everybody point and laugh
>>
>>121467158
Have you tried making normal hip-hop? It would help to get a grasp of the fundamentals before trying to experiment.
>>
File: 1708028079622.png (16 KB, 533x497)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>121467158
>Bros, I'm stuck
>>
>>121467188
I already know all the fundamentals what stupid advice. I'm trying to be experimental.
>>
>>121467158
>>121467369
Can u do me a favor and not ask about Peggy or experimental hip hop? I actually want to talk about EHH with these people when I'm ready to make some. I don't want to be compared to you.
>>
>>121467393
we know you're the same person stop pretending
>>
>>121467412
Don't insult me like that. At least I post the bad shit I make and I don't complain about not knowing anything. I work every day. Don't compare me to the complainer
>>
>>121463228
>avoid all YT channels with SP
>had his video tabbed open for tonight
Thanks for saving me, I didn't wanna look at this teeth. Why is he bad though? Just gives out bad advice or is he just gay
>>
>>121467924
You're right, I sincerely apologize.
>>
>>121468271
I love you thanks
>>
File: 1677321661359883.gif (3.63 MB, 513x574)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB GIF
the list of recent songs i need to finish is starting to get unruly

https://vocaroo.com/1agZPivJIb7R
>>
File: 1713446927412197.webm (2.88 MB, 1280x720)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB WEBM
https://vocaroo.com/1oejfPYJ0sKs
>>
>>121468531
i'm vibing
first 12 seconds don't do much for me emotionally, but i'm vibing
feel like the piano that comes in at 0:38 could be more prominent, but i'm vibing
the breakdowns really good, i'm vibing
>>
>>121468800
thanks same :3
>>
File: 1712820032754998.webm (1 MB, 576x1024)
1 MB
1 MB WEBM
>https://vocaroo.com/14S98zj5jYF3
kpop vocals :/
>>
>>121425822 here.

first of all i'm very encouraged by the comments, thanks so much

>>121428980
thanks man.

>>121429009
this one was sourced from a looptone pack. thanks anon

>>121441741
thanks anon

>>121442733
glad i inspired you anon. this track you posted was sick
>>121455925
yeah i'm lifting my loops for free from splice and it fucks with them, i'm thinking you're right.

you guys inspired me to post another one i just made today

https://vocaroo.com/1fA2P2SH1UVL

>jungle
>underground

once again thanks for the listen frens
>>
File: 3gehibii2y8a1.jpg (42 KB, 851x669)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
original sound vision (mashed the drums originally intended to )
it all goes full circle bro real schizo hourrsss

https://vocaroo.com/1fAUGPd1ksDe

*disguise*
>>
>>121469783
that cymbals a bit too dominant
>>
>>121469783
I made >>121442733 thank you for the compliments.

The track you posted is kinda hampered by that ride cymbal that's constantly playing, running a transient shaper over it would help a lot, but you could also EQ out those harsh frequencies to make it more bearable. I like the use of sound effects and vocal chops though, it'd be a cool track if the drums were fixed.
>>
>>121471220
>>121470518

noted, thanks anons, i'll go in and touch it up. the cymbals are part of a break loop i found so i'll just EQ it
>>
>>
>>121469783
do a different bassline for the 2nd half where you pitch up the sample, it doesn't sound like it's in the right key. nice vibe though. also u need more tropical birdcalls
>>121470026
cool
>>
>>121471420
You're gonna make it anon
https://vocaroo.com/17QuTIN9eOnF
>>
>>121471420
pop punk song
>>
none of you flow like me
https://vocaroo.com/1iUoFjctAOqa
>>
File: 1476456502707.png (97 KB, 657x527)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>121472423
kek
>>
>>121472423
needs hallway bird chirp (not in sync with music, just every 30 seconds)
>>
who here posts in /gg/?
>>
>>121466360
Post music, I'll do the drums. Note: I am not a drummer, I play them in with a keyboard and then program some changes or fills.
>>
I'm stuck, FUAAAARKKKK. prod, send help. I keep making the same beats and not getting any better
>>
>>121475913
The problem is that you're making "beats".
>>
What makes a good album to you? Does it need to tell a coherent story? I'm working towards my first album but none of the songs share any themes and I worry that it detracts from the quality of the album.
>>
>>121417137
https://vocaroo.com/1fUPKfkZIHlT

postan this rough mix before i try and “perfect” everything w tuning and comps and then ruin the lo-fi vibe

just looking for observations and suggestions so i can maintain objectivity while working on this song

i think i might’ve used too much oeksound soothe and now everything’s too soft, transient-wise

i think the cymbals are too forward even though they’re reference mixed to elliott smith’s either/or. that record's production is too fucking old anyways. i guess i’ll pull the cymbals back

the vocals need the breaths removed and to be remixed entirely i think? but that means the instrumental is already perfect right? i don’t know. i only listen to mariah carey

i love mariah carey. she kinda looks like dasha nekrasova if dasha had a bit of juice in the caboose, ha ha. though i imagine dasha would be a more fun conversation partner. gosh i love dasha i hope i can be famous enough to put a ring on her one day. we can have beautiful 3 quarter slavic children
>>
>>121451472
>>121450860
Is there a way to change the pad samples on my computer through the app or do I have to do it on the 404 one by one? The latter seems very tedious
>>
Bump
>>
>>121418195
Anon I really like these songs. The pedal steal one sounds beautiful. I also like the tempo change in the first song. As far as cohesiveness I think maybe if you did another tempo change sped up and repeated the first part of the song but with more guitar solo, end with big stacatto melody?
>>
i make da samples https://vocaroo.com/19mnNILp0YIt
>>
>>121458176
We've told you exactly how to do it several times over the course of a couple weeks. You can't just start making "experimental" hiphop without knowing how to make regular hiphop. Stop trying to look for shortcuts

Or just email him, he usually responds
>>
>>121477255
The mixing sounded fine up until the :58 mark. All the elements started sounding unbalanced after that, the vocals sounded too loud and the electric guitar was overpowering the acoustic-sounding guitar, there's not a lot of clarity at the two minute mark between all the different elements. Other than that it sounds alright as far as anemic indie music goes.
>>
https://vocaroo.com/15hLxzbC5OM7
not prod but whatever
>>
Hey /prod/, I've been working on setting up my own generic bus fx presets, to try to speed up workflow. Can you all please take a listen and tell me if this sounds clean and clear?

My ears are dead right now and I could use another opinion.

https://vocaroo.com/1hukcRkapuWH
>>
File: 2934quhrr.jpg (69 KB, 993x583)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>121484372
me for ref

>>121484271
i wish i had the space for acoustic drums... apartment living strikes again

>>121480563
i dig it, its very peaceful and i love how it ebbs and flows. Overall, your low end needs to be clearer though. It doesn't quite cut through the mix to give the emotional impact I think you want.

>>121477255
cool song and really great vocals! However, its too muffled and blown out in places. Honestly, its easier just to show you what I mean, so I took your mix and made changes to it. Take a listen below:

https://vocaroo.com/1hVsnK2RixO1

What I did is, split the vocals / instrumental, and then threw an eq on them (see pic) along with sooth2. Then I sidechained you instruments to the vocals. In the master, I threw on mid side eqing, spectral balancing, saturation, sooth2 again, and then a limiter.

You just need that extra little clean up to take it from lofi 4chan goodness to indie that I'm listening on my drive home. At least thats what i think i did to your mix, but let me know if I'm way off base
>>
>>121485104
cont.

>>121472382
good vox of that, def saved it for a later song ;)

>>121470026
dope, some schizo nuero dnb is my fave. I think getting the pad to have some motion could help tho. Like sidechaining it heavier to snare + kick, and maybe even some small frequency shifting. Just so motion to have it not sit so stagnant.

>>121469261
lovely, great work anon. Some small notes, that kick is too present in the mix and its lows bite through for just a hair too long. Pull the decay back some to make it snappier.

>>121468676
the song is great, very r&b heavy and i fuck with it. But something is going on with the sub. In the beginning, its fucking great, like is wide and it hits so nice. But once the kick comes it, the sub loses its wide, spectral feel and almost feels like its mono. Somethings up with that, however, if you can fix it, it'll slap 2x better.

>>121468531
fun bop, but the main synth is just a hair too forward in the mix to where you loose your low drums
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>try to start a track with chord progression, ends up shit
>build a melody around percussion or random samples dictating the key, make the best melody ever
what's up with this?
>>
What was the first piece of equipment you bought that was very expensive?
>>
>>121485512
chord-first tends to lock you into a limited set of options for melody. Right off the bat it puts you in the mindset of making a melody to serve a set of chords rather than the other way around, which runs the risk of a meh melody since melodies are generally supposed to be the driver and chords more of a backdrop. I'm not some expert, that's just my speculation.
>>
which beat is cooler.
1st (some kicks and bass offset by an 8th)
https://vocaroo.com/1i8DrkhjhxVD
2nd
https://vocaroo.com/1ets0DfcAEa1
>>
File: KRK.png (1.36 MB, 1024x1574)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>121485872
Well, expensive in relative terms back in like 2011 when I was 18 I thought I NEEDED new KRK speakers in order to level-up my pirated FL studio journey of making absolutely awful EDM/Dubstep; after that I bought a used m-audio trigger finger off ebay because that's what Skrillex used on stage, and I only used it once at a non-profit bar/stage that literally anyone can schedule their own show at.....
>>
frens check out this techno track I made. I think the drop is banging I gotta say lol. its unmastered at the moment and not the full track

https://vocaroo.com/1g4L2gJfR3XJ
>>
>>121484372
little too much sizzle and presence to my taste, but that IS just taste, because the fx sound good and you're clearly a smart lad w compression and saturation and multiband. maybe vocal preset should b wetter. actually honestly these are all just taste things because i don't listen to this genre

>>121485104
can u add me on discord? i'd like the .wav of this mix and i'd like to tip you for your time

gonna attempt a character mix today where the vocals are hi passed to 700hz, but if that sucks then your mix might become the final

https://discord.gg/tmYP9U9F
>>
how do I find making music fun again?
>>
File: 08_botan.png (228 KB, 400x400)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
Got a new midi controller with knobs and stuff finally, made this while setting it up
https://vocaroo.com/16LP8izfz6Wr
>>
>>121463228
i bought some birdsneeds.. i'll make sure to always bring some when i go out, thank you for the tip, anon.

>>121463475
i never knew mozart owned a bird... thank you for sharing and being open minded because i'm seriously having trouble processing my experiences. i am fucked up, i've never had anyone to really play music with, no less a bird. yesterday, he came back, but only at 1 am, which was strange, but we had a nice jam session which i couldn't stop giddily squealing about. i think i heard him chirping today, maybe only to say hi. i jumped on my synth to reply back, and then i saw him swoop past my window majestically, but i really only caught a glimpse. i don't know what the fuck is going on, anon. i almost feel like i am falling in love with this bird- not in a romantic way, but in a deep emotional investment type way. it makes me so scared. i know i'm not his life, only a part of it, but god damn, this is something i am taking with me to the grave and never forgetting. life has never been like this before. i don't get it, anon. i really don't.
>>
>>121489001
What kind of music do you make?
I always find buying some new gear or learning an instrument I don’t know kind of helps. Try making a song in a new genre you haven’t before. Maybe just stepping away for a bit might help as well.
>>
File: IMG_2828.jpg (810 KB, 2016x1344)
810 KB
810 KB JPG
>>121485872
I was 16 in 2007 so the Roland SH-201 that was around $700 new was probably the most expensive. My house got broken into when I was 22 and it was stolen :(
>>
>>121489513
Idk, probably the reason is because I listen to so much random shit.
>>
https://voca.ro/13znG5qaqPEt
what needs work beyond the vocals (gonna re-write/re-record and throw a different effect chain on it)
>nugaze
>slowcore
>imgayz
>>
>>121485104
>apartment living
this thread hit bump limit oh well, but anyway
yes i live in a shitty complex too and had to stop
luckily i have mine in a shed on my relative’s property
and an electronic set at my main home
don’t think about what you don’t have
do what you can, with what you have, where you are
-Teddy Roosevelt
>>
>>121485483
based
appreciate you
>>
i download all of your vocaroo files and upload the best ones to my soundcloud and sometimes Spotify
reached 20k followers on SC last week solely posting other peoples music lmao
>>
>>121493074
>caring about followers who only follow them based on songs they didn't actually create

sad
>>
Not baking
>>
>>121493074
So whose songs get the most numbers..??
If it’s not me I’m quitting music
>>
Does ableton have better compatability with more plugins compared to fl studio? It's beginning to annoy me how little automation is availiable with most non-stock plugins.
>>
DO NEW PREAD
>>
>>121495722
New Bread

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.