[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1648030537451.jpg (410 KB, 1385x2400)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
Happily Ever After Edition

>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest8/gHvtmY50loGLgQUb/UA2023-PH-Playtest8.pdf
>NEW UA
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest7/tsgOb3llF22AL0nU/UA2023-PH-Playtest7.pdf

>New Errata
https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The Trove Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
https://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread: >>92500699

Have you ever earned a good ending, /5eg/? How did it go?
>>
>>92542147
My players are in the process of earning their happy ending, 36 sessions in out of what looks to be 45, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to manage to kill off at least one more family member before they get there. Or maybe make them do it themselves. Mind control is a bitch like that.
>>
File: 1643081276917.jpg (77 KB, 450x590)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>92542147
Had a relatively good if bittersweet ending to Strahd once. We killed him and all but one player made it out who intentionally wanted to die because he'd made a deal in the temple to reincarnate out of the curse he had. Did not save Ireena, which was one of the main goals of my character since it was reminiscent of his own run-in with a vampire in the past where he lost his wife, but all in all they survived, lifted the curse, and went their separate ways or kept adventuring to solve the rest of the party's problems. As good an ending it gets for Strahd, really.
>>
File: IMG_2140.jpg (14 KB, 202x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Damn. Must’ve caught the tail end of last thread. Coming into a new level 10 campaign.

>Copper the copper Dragonborn was named after how much his parents used to buy him from the orphanage.
>good boy town guardsman who sucked shit at his job
>but somehow things always seemed to turn out fine

>6wild magic sorcerer/1peace cleric/3mastermind rogue
>still using his old uniform chain shirt and spear+shield
>12-14s across the stat board
>peace cleric emboldening bond grants 1d4 to mostly every d20 rolls(no concentration)
>help action has a range of 30 feet and can be used as action or bonus action
>guidance adds 1d4 to ability checks
>bless adds 1d4 to attack rolls and saving throws
>all other spell slots are used for sorcerer’s bend luck to add or subtract to mostly any d20 roll(on reaction)

>everything reflavored as basic supportive cheers, shoulder rubs, and positive affirmations
>dudes doing his best
>just really lucky
>>
File: 1693224818730573.png (298 KB, 520x678)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
Im about to run my first campaign for some friends. 10-20.

super nervous about it. been writing all week for the villains and their encounters. really struggling with the world building as i dont know D&D lore too well.

Any tips for kinda getting over this hump?
>>
>>92543579
Just do it. Fuck it up. Nobody will care because only turbo-autists actually give a shit about the Forgotten Realms.
You're all there to have a good time together. So have a good time with it.
>>
File: IMG_2150.gif (1.87 MB, 320x240)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB GIF
>party needs to sneak into a hostile city that they’re well known in
>bard didnt take proficiency in stealth or deception
>disguised himself as himself
>I thought it was so funny i leaned into it
>”what a crappy costume, you look nothing like him. Well enjoy your day”

Most I laughed in a long while
>>
>>92543579
>really struggling with the world building as i dont know D&D lore too well
You know every single bit of D&D lore as the DM, anon. Whatever you make up is the lore and whatever you don't know, isn't.
>>
>>92532848
I've seen it get put on "ABSOLUTELY AVOID THIS FEAT" lists while googling, but otherwise not very favorable.
>>92532942
Ah, I misread the Extra Attack ability, thought you could still get the second attack after the dash attack. Situationally handy, but not as strong as I thought it could be. Oh well.
>>
Are there any good sites to post homebrew on where you'll get feedback?
>>
>>92543612
Classic bard energy, love it and approve your supporting it
>>
File: Lizard thumbtack.jpg (86 KB, 540x614)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Have any of you had a player that just has no sense of self preservation? I once had a guy in my party who was playing a lizardfolk cleric who kept rushing into deadly situations and I had to keep picking his ass back up with a healing potion 3 sessions in a row as a fighter before he eventually left due to scheduling issues.
>1st time was okay given we were surrounded by skeletons in a crypt after failing a riddle and our attack rolls kept being piss poor which dragged the fight out until he got ko'd
>2nd time was when we pissed off a Netherese wizard who had a horde of zombies and skeletons blocking our path and he just dashed through them, invoking roughly 8 opportunity attacks which dropped him near the feet of the fleeing necromancer. His only saving grace is that the necromancer casted Danse Macabre which specifies going after a specific target which was our sorceress in the backline who was fireballing, otherwise he would have been coup de grâce'd
>3rd time was him moving away from an orc clan we were ambushing and he got critically axed a question.
>>
>>92543976
This one, you'll get good input.
>>
>>92544057
Hello, it's me. The Rule of Cool will save or doom me. I do not care.
>>
>>92544057
My current party has a sorc and a bard, and they just will not stop going into melee range. Sorc went down four times last night.
>>
>>92544215
I'm a dragon sorc with 16s in dex and con and 15 strength and I WILL booming blade at least one creature
>>
>>92544215
I do the same shit, but as an abjuration wizard. I can take a few hits, so by god I'll larp as gandalf whenever i can.
>>
>>92544355
(In an Eberron game) One of my players is a Mark of Warding Dwarf - Art 4 Armorer, Abjuration Wizard 4 (currently) and he has a ton of fun punching in melee and popping people with upcast Armor of Agathys.
>>
>>92544331
>>92544355
>he has 20 HP
>14 AC before mage armor
>ran up to mini-boss with a rope to try and grapple/restrain them
>contested str of 23
>legendary actioned slashed with evil posessed sword one hit ko
>next round the bard runs in between the sorc's body and the mini-boss to fail casting their spell
Shit was getting pretty retarded.
>>
File: Abjuration Wizard.jpg (226 KB, 954x1000)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>92544449
Give them a training arc. Beef those lads up, give them martial arts and unarmored defense as a reward if they make it through the camp. Maybe even the tough feat.
>>
>>92544479
I'm just the Barbarian, couldn't stop them from running into the kill-box, but didn't mind avoiding some of his swings.
>>
File: Feebleminded dragon.png (654 KB, 1440x1080)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
>>92544187
I mean I understand the Rule of Cool fine. My fighter later went on to shove an Immovable Rod down a reduced (enlarge/reduce) down a white dragon's throat after grappling him, causing its breath sack to be torn out when it moved. He then used a grappling hook to hook onto one of its wings and got pulled roughly 200 feet up in the air with the dragon when they tried to flee and had the foresight to pop a Potion of Invulnerability before killing said dragon and plummeting 200 feet down (20d6 bludgeoning damage, was mainly to avoid dying on impact if DM rolled high and so party could pick him back up after) Our former cleric was following the Rule of Retardation for the most part.
>>
File: ceg.png (1.2 MB, 1360x754)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
do we care about what critical role is doing?
>>
>>92544057
I think I've seen you post before.
>>
>>92544646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uY49xbrRGU
>>
>>92544646
One of my DMs is setting their next campaign in CR's setting, maybe some of the other players watch it and will be in on jokes I know nothing about, but that's about it.
>>
>>92544646
Never have, never will.
>>
File: skeleton attack.gif (1.65 MB, 370x272)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB GIF
>>92544725
apparently the robot died, so expect some talk about that I guess
>>92544668
>>92544742
don't blame you.
Not enough skeleton attacks in my opinion
>>
>>92544646
no, i dont like their content personally. its not funny or engaging.
>>
>>92544660
>>92544759
Are talks of skeleton attacks here frequent? My party was just cursed when it comes to actually hitting them with attack rolls despite having good modifiers.
>>
>>92544759
Oh dear, one of the players is a warforged, hope we don't mirror the show there.
>>
>>92544777
Sounds like me with kobolds, so many fights end up looking like interpretive dance-offs with how shitty our rolls are.
To be fair the kobolds also seem to roll shitty during those encounters.
>>
>>92544777
First session of this campaign was in a tavern brawl and nobody was making their attack rolls hit. Always get a giggle thinking about how much better we fight true evil, but some drunk orcs had to be handled by the local guards.
>>
File: skeleton times.jpg (305 KB, 1200x1068)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>92544777
I just think that every campaign just needs a smattering of skeleton encounters. Personally I blame Jason and the Argonaughts being a big influence, but skeletons are also just a good, fun encounter.
>>92544057
clerics can tangle in melee if they're built right, but it sounds like this cleric was not.
I usually go down a few times in combat, but I play frontliners that do a good job of getting the bad guys' attention.
>>92544792
Good luck I guess. I suppose you could have other warforged make fun of him for having weak meat bag feelings if he displays any.
>>
>>92544801
Wish it was a dance off, but those fucking skeletons would not roll sub 18 attack rolls. They didn't do a lot of damage when they hit, but the fact they kept hitting while we were missing while having to use resources to heal felt like a war of attrition. Thankfully those days are behind us now that we have a Dwarf War Cleric who can just turn on the Spirit Guardian blender and dust them with turn undead.

>>92544841
He was not. He had like 16 AC and tried to hit with a club despite having 8 Strength. It wouldn't have been as bad if he at least stuck near my cavalier fighter with interception fighting style since it was my job to take the hits and block them.
>>
File: skeleton oh yeah.gif (1.34 MB, 332x238)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB GIF
>>92544890
>skeletons rolling them bones to fuck pcs up
I love to see it.

The suicidal cleric Reminds me of a Necromancer that was also a ghost I had as a lieutenant to my BBEG that would possess dead bodies and jump to a new one once the one he was possessing was destroyed (Just used the NPC Mage stat block for his "possessed body" stats)
Pcs hated him, as he was a constant enemy throughout the campaign, and because he was a ghost, he would just go ethereal after they destroyed the corpse he was possessing (revealing his skeletal ghost) and fuck off to find a new skin suit to wear.
What really did it was that it was mostly the bodies of slain characters he was possessing. One of the pcs just kept getting himself killed, providing this guy with no less than 4 bodies to use as a meat suit.
They eventually found where he was keeping the bodies. It was a wardrobe with meathooks where the bodies were hung up like coats. That was fun to describe.
That necromancer also allowed me to bring back particularly annoying enemies from previous encounters as zombified versions. (Just the og statblock with undead resilience and zombie immunities added)

good times.

So I recommend Necromancers as enemies. They're great antagonists.
>>
I'm still mad they errata'd Booming Blade to not work with Spell Sniper.
>>
>>92544986
I’m a new dm. Going to be running lost mines for a bunch of vets who’ve played it a few times. It’s the only module I’m comfortable with because I’ve played it twice and I’m considering stealing this. Maybe even letting the spider have this set up so they feel more like a villain.

Any tips for running it? I might intro them at the goblin cave as some kind of mediator between gobs and spider?
>>
I’m trying to make a back up pc because I really don’t like my current pc at the moment and feel stuck in his personality and rp but for the life of me I can’t settle on a class for “I’m going to be the best swords man in the realms”
I like the idea that the peak of sword play is being so physically strong/fast that you become somewhat magical but can’t decide between EK(one dnd version) or bladesinger
>>
>>92545135
Bladesinger Pirate.
>>
I was convinced Oath of the Open Sea is impossible to play cohesively as a dedicated and oathsworn paladin until it clicked that they're just libertarians. It all makes so much sense now.
>>
>>92545194
>no greater life than the one lived free
Wow anon, what gave it away?
>>
>>92545115
I can only give general advice. You know your party better than anyone, so a lot of what you do will be bouncing stuff off of them and what they do. I generally put my PCs through a couple of quick and dirty encounters/dungeons so they get a feel for their characters, a party dynamic, and some stories to tell when they get to town.
Usually, you will want whoever their main antagonist be to have some presence throughout the campaign. Early on, it could just be rumors about "Something" in the mines that's worse than the goblins, or something killing everything that goes into them, or banners and symbols on display, or the various mobs in the dungeon referencing them in some way. Either being afraid of going on their turf, or working for them.
You kinda want to cater the general shape of this unseen enemy to the pcs' expectations, but you add in the fine details that make it stand out.
Like, if you go with the spider being possessed by a necromancer's ghost, then scatter some more zombies or skeletons throughout the mine, possibly suspended from the ceiling by webs and drop down on players as they pass under them. Or a zombie with a swarm of spiders in its stomach that barfs them on a player when a player gets close, or kills the zombie. Just sort of give hints as to what's waiting for the pcs down there via the environment and the encounters.
Never just tell them outright. If they figure it out before the fight, great. Just never confirm or deny their suspicions.

Also, a necromancer ghost spider can have spare bodies in its webs. I limited the necromancer to possessing humanoids, but if he can possess animals of a certain size, then the PCs might end up getting jumped by a Goose that honks out, "REMEMBER ME PC'S?!" and then blasts them with a fireball.
Sounds kinda silly, but it would be memorable.

Hope this rambling helped
>>
>>92545282
But now I have so much more material to work with. I need to add the NAP to my tenets solely so I need to torture it as much as possible
>>
File: DA13Spellbreaker.png (4.62 MB, 1589x2033)
4.62 MB
4.62 MB PNG
Skyrim's Daedric artifacts make for good magic item rewards.
>>
>>92545308
>jumped by a Goose that honks out, "REMEMBER ME PC'S?!" and then blasts them with a fireball
Audibly kek'd
>>
>every sorc flavor is that their ancestor fucked whatever the bloodline is based on
this is not true, it could be that but most people wouldnt do that
My clockwork soul sorc had a vision from one of the saints in the DM setting which was a living manifestation of order and the vision came to my character as the stars and planets aligned where the rift between the different planes was weakest
>>
>>92543579
>some friends
>10-20
Jesus Christ dude that's way too many people to run a fun, engaging, game for, especially for a first time. Drop it down to groups of 5 or you're fucked
>>
>>92545785
I think he meant the campaign would be from level 10 to 20. At least, I hope that's what he meant.
>>
>>92545833
I don't know which one is a worse idea for a first time DM
>>
>>92545833
That's not going to go well. I usually end my campaigns around 10-12 since the scaling goes nutty with casters from there. 11 is a nice send off for the last act.
>>
FUCK I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS OF PLOTS ENCOUNTERS SIDE QUESTS PC JOURNEYS CHARACTERS ITEMS AND SHIT
and we only play every 3 weeks for 4h and they are slow as fuck doing anything
we've had 19 sessions and only 12 days have passed
>>
>>92546189
>we only play every 3 weeks for 4h and they are slow as fuck doing anything
I feel your pain. I move swiftly through every NPC action that doesn't deserve focus, resolve them and give a nice little summary of the action, not rushing but proceeding briskly before announcing that it's X character's turn and the player is like "uhh... hm... let me think..."
>>
>>92546189
How do you keep track of time in game? I struggle with that hard.
>>
>>92546189
why do you add a bunch of stuff when they cant handle the baseline?
>>
>>92546770
They're lamenting the inability to do interesting shit because their players struggle so much with the baseline.
>>
>make cool description of magic item
>can't draw worth a shit
fucking hell how do you guys deal with it? i practice but i'm still shit
>>
5th level one-shot. DM has said that we will not be able to take long rests at all, but we may take as many short rests as we like. What would you play?
>>
>>92546980
Find a reference that looks similar, and tell how yours differs from it.
>>
>>92547001
warlock
infinite spellcasting
>>
>>92547001
Fighter or warlock
>>
>>92545308
>The goose or other such silly animals are easy prey and also the most expendable bodies as they don't have much use otherwise, so it makes complete sense for why they would get used to simply go talk shit to the party
actually an amazing idea.
>>
>>92546980
By narrating instead of wasting ink on printing out images in the first place.
>>
>>92547001
Vuman CBE+SS Battlemaster. Blow your entire Action Surge and four superiority dice in the first round of every encounter.
>>
>>92542147
Neck urself furry
>>
How would you balance a shadow blade like spell that deals fire damage and summons two weapons for twf?
Dm is letting me homebrew a spell up and I don’t want it to be broken or anything. Mostly as a “this is my final form” moment as I tend to concentrate on buff spells for the rest of the party.
>>
3d6 is objectively superior to 1d20.
Verification not required.
>>
I’m putting together a map for tomorrow’s session. What does every wizard’s tower absolutely need? Ideally, I want the thing to be at least five stories tall, but not a number divisible by four. Each level also needs to have multiple rooms, with multiple points of access between levels located in different rooms, but I’m scratching my head over what all these should be. So far I have:

>Basement
>>Cellar/food storage
>>Kitchen
>>Servants’ passages
>>The Pit (lower extremity)

>Ground Floor
>>Grand foyer
>>Cloak room
>>Dining Room
>>Drawing Room
>>The Pit (opening)

>First Floor
>>Mundane Library
>>Sleeping Quarters
>>Terrace
>>The Wreckage (leads to The Pit)

>Second Floor
>>Cabinet of Curiosities
>>Laboratory
>>Dovecote

>Third Floor
>>Magical Library (multiple rooms)

>Fourth Floor
>>Observatory
>>Private Study
>>Master’s Chambers

But I don’t know if that’s going to feel complete enough to the players. This tower was in use until the recent explosion that created the Wreckage and the Pit, so it ought to feel generally lived-in.
>>
>>92548669
Well, I’d probably make it concentration.
>>
>>92548669
depends on the class, subclass and damage values you are expecting
need more info
>>
File: sims cat.jpg (218 KB, 764x1024)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
How do I make a 2-3 day trek through woods more interesting than just the party going through the woods and encountering monsters a few times a day?

I'm a not-very-experienced DM running an adventure for a group of newbies and their first adventure (4-ish sessions) is intended to be fairly streamlined.
Right now they're about to travel through a forest to get from A to B and I'm wondering how to make it a bit more interesting.
Navigation (and screwing it up) isn't going to be a factor this time because I've already established they basically need to follow a road and so long as they don't get distracted by something they should have enough food for the journey, so living off the land isn't a factor either.
Only things that really come to mind are encounters and hints that might lead into the next adventure.
(For example the druid with the prophetic(?) dreams knows something's wrong with the forest, the party encounters beings that are an affront to nature and goodness itself and maybe after this adventure they hear about babies vanishing from their town with the culprit likely being in the forest)
In the event of a combat going badly I could decide their mcguffin gets snatched and their track just got longer since they need to go and get it back, but I suspect at this early stage it might be more frustrating than fun.

Worst case scenario I could always just keep this section short and say they just made it through after a few fights, but I can't help but feel there's potential there I'm missing.
If I just abbreviate the forest trek it would just be filler to get from one key NPC to another and I think that's a bit boring.
>>
>>92549451
If navigation isn’t a factor and they’re just walking down a road AND you don’t want to rely on battles, then the only other option you left yourself with is talking to people
>>
>>92549451
>Wendigos hunting them at night
>Fey trickery bullshit
>Hermits
>NPCs to rescue.
>>
>>92546395
>How do you keep track of time in game? I struggle with that hard.
One of my onenote pages has the start and end date and hour of every session?
>>
>>92549451
Write up your own encounter table with about 20 or so encounters. Seems like you already have some encounters in mind, so it may be useful. Maybe you can make up to a 100 encounters if you’re really daring so you can make use of the d100. It would help to play on a hex map and roll twice per hex, but if not, have a phase for day and night. Have a player roll 1d20 for on one of those phases, depending on how many days are between your point A and B. It is important also that the player rolls for this since it feels like they are doing something, usually it would be the player character leading the party or someone else you would ask. Roll 1-4, you go into combat with whatever you had in mind. Roll 5-15, nothing much happens. Roll on a 16-20, roll for one of your pre-planned encounters on your table to happen.
>>
>>92549451
>>92549516
Oh and if you have a druid who knows there's some bullshit in the woods, a great local antagonist are the druid of THOSE woods who has gone corrupt or something.
>>
>>92549451
maybe a tear between the planes has opened and this is what is wrong with the woods so you could have a mini adventure (one day) where they get seperated in a whole other location and need to meet up while they each are chased by the wildlife or sentient creature that wants to take them captive
>>
What's the least played Barbarian subclass? And is that because it is obscure or just bad?
>>
>>92549883
Probably berserker because it’s bad.
>>
>>92549883
>>92549973
Berserker and Battlerager are both not very good, but Berserker is from the most used book and Battlerager from the least used book that has a Barbarian subclass in it.
>>
>>92550026
Yes but battle rager has some simple and “decent” features. After years people should know it exists by now. Berserker is clearly bad. It could be either, I don’t have any surveys to point to or anything
>>
>>92549883
While I like Battlerager its is probably the least used Subclass due to it being from a niche book.
>>
>>92550062
>>92550069
Why do you like Battlerager?
>>
>>92549973
Berserker is frequently played by newbies with no idea what they're doing, or idiots who not only actually use D&D beyond but don't buy or borrow any of the sourcebooks
>>
>>92550089
Is there a /5eg/ trove of DnDBeyond codes for the books on the app?
>>
File: Forest demon.jpg (89 KB, 720x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>92549451
Could always throw in a local Gulthias tree subtly corrupting the local area such as a strong scent of iron in the air, local trees looking diseased/dying and oozing dark crimson sap that are turning into blights themselves, shriveled up corpses of animals or travelers having their vital fluids sucked up by the local blights (which could be some encounters) and so on.
>>
>>92550082
The ability to use spiked armor reduces the need to pump dex and con.
I like the idea of huge hunk of metal ripping and tearing through the battlefield, and fighter doesn't really provide the savagery and rage of the barbarian in flavor.
Plus if your dm is nice they might let "Spiked armor" be any armor with spikes on it
>>
I have a guy who plays a Berserker 14/Champion 3 in my campaign, and he pulls his weight in combat and then some. His one issue is getting in position to do things against mobile enemies, but one of the other PCs in the party is a Spring Eladrin with Dimension Door and other spells and features able to relocate himself and other creatures. One of their go-to tactics is now to teleport together to the most dangerous creature and have the Berserker/Champion do his thing.
>>
>>92550137
Honestly Battlerager would be more popular if they let you use your Con for a AC bonus instead of Dex
>>
>>92549519
No like in-game, how do you determine how much time has passed while they're out shopping, doing out of combat stuff.
>>
>>92550177
>14+CON (max +2)
>1+DEX (max +2)

You get 16 either way.
>>
Has anyone here ever played a Battlerager? Do the temporary hit points actually make a difference, or do you get absolutely fucked by having low AC and everyone having advantage on you?
>>
File: FHOYYF0X0AAcvk2.jpg (396 KB, 1545x2087)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
Is taking a 3 dip in Fighter for Rune Knight worth it as a Zealot Barbarian after level 5? Thinking of making an Aasimar (Radiant Consumption for aoe+bonus dmg) with the Giant Foundling background for Strike of the Giants (Fire Giant) and getting the feat Ember of the Fire Giant that follows it. I figured if I'm following whole giant theming that Rune Knight might be a good fit with Smiths Tool proficiency, fire and one other rune along with bonus action to turn big might be good. Though I do realize it does require a bit of setup since its quite bonus action heavy with having to rage, grow big and radiant consumption.
>>
>>92550294
Everything is worth dipping into after taking barbarian to 5. It’s basically a dead class after 5.
>>
>>92550294
can you take volos aasimar? making radiant consumption an action would allow you to activate it and use rage on your first turn, keeping rage activated as you take a negligent amount of radiant damage each turn, the aoe damage is also higher
if you are just going to dip 5 levels into zealot barb then i would start rune knight first until at least 6 to get both strike and ember going alongside fire and cloud rune (always take cloud and redirect crits onto other enemies)
>>
>>92548669
Shadow Blade already works for TWF, so you could normally get 2d8+1d6 fairly easily, in terms of total dice.
For raw damage numbers, that averages 12.5, so a pair of blades would be roughly on par if they were 1d12 weapons for an average of 13. Or perhaps 2d6, since fire damage is worse than psychic overall.

That said, Shadow Blade also offers advantage while in dim light, which while situational, isn't exactly the most difficult to achieve. Between that and the damage only being slightly higher, this fire blade spell would just be worse overall.
The only thought that immediately comes to mind for bridging the gap would be to have the attacks with the blades deal some damage on a miss, since that would help to make out for the relative lack of accuracy. Probably just spellcasting mod damage rather than anything too fancy there. Then just add on details about shedding light in an area, igniting objects.
The only other thought that occurs would be making it 10 minute concentration instead of adding damage on a miss. That way even if you are missing out on advantage, it potentially lasts for a longer duration.

Scaling to higher levels might be a tougher one, but you could potentially go for 1d6 to each blade every two levels like how Shadow Blade does. That is a much sharper increase overall, but again, fire damage and lack of advantage really sting, so being better when upcast in certain situations wouldn't be a terrible tradeoff.
You could do something really goofy like have the blades start at 3d4 and scale up by a 1d4 for each blade, so that the progression mirrors Shadow Blade even more closely (5 extra average per two levels instead of 4.5)
>>
>>92550537
I was thinking of using the Mordenkainen Presents reworked version for the better stat distribution rather than having Cha and Wis from Volos which are both dump stats for me, though could perhaps work something out with DM next time I catch up with them. I was also thinking of starting with fighter levels then barb, but the thing with Zealot is that its extra damage scales with barb level, which is why I was only taking a 3 level dip in Rune Knight then continuing barb.
>>
>>92550714
TCE lets you pick any 2/1 stat distribution you want
The damage is slightly higher on the zealot end but the Volo Aasimar makes up for that damage and the defence + utility features you get from Rune Knight imo more than makes up for it
You could use Storm and Fire to let one enemy save against restrained with disadvantage and else take 2d6 damage every turn
Hill Rune makes up for the low barb rages with being a short rest version
>>
>>92550185
loosely
in general any social encounter/gameplay is in real time, except maybe some things like "you have a nice meal" which I would say an hour or 30 min passes or something
combat takes hours real time but only minutes in game, so generally ignore it when tracking
short rests and long rests are well defined by the rules
for travelling I usually say "after a few hours you encounter X on the road", and in some extreme cases of long journeys "3 days go uneventfully except for some rain on the 2nd"

I don't think anyone keeps some autistic in-game clock with precise hours and minutes except for night/day
>>
>>92550797
Hmm, you make a fair point with that version of consumption scaling off of character level and the short rest pseudo rage. Thanks for the feedback. It's just a character I have as a frontliner backup or if a new campaign pops up and I wanted to workshop it a bit.
>>
>>92550797
>TCE lets you pick any 2/1 stat distribution you want

Optional rule. Not every DM allows this.
>>
>>92550940
>he will allow MOTM aasimar that can pick 2/1 anywhere or 1/1/1 but he wont allow volo's aasimar to take 2/1 anywhere
???
>>
>>92550940
Any DM who doesn't allow Tasha's optional rules for character creation is a not DM worth playing for.
>>
File: swordcerer.jpg (161 KB, 730x1095)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>92545051
Why the fuck would it? It or any if the other melee-specific cantrips? Maybe Lightning Lure but shit.

Why is Booming Blade so often suggested, anyways? I feel like I'm missing something there. It just seems like a normal attack and they only get damage if they willingly move. That's it. Unless it's just because it's good for control, which I'm increasingly appreciating, especially if you take War Caster and basically Sentinel them with an AoO. But otherwise it seems very limited compared to the other SCAG cantrips.
>>
>>92551026
booming blade is great because if they try to move they take damage so they are incentivized to stay near you, the damage also scales as you level so 1d8 damage added to your own attack and 2d8 if they move at level 5 and +1d8 on both damage instances at 11th and 17th
you could be tricky with forced movement like crusher to force enemies to take the damage if they want to step up to attack you
>>
>>92550965
The word 'optional' makes sweaty grog faggots jizz in their pants with the joy of taking someone's toys away. The simple fact is that power creep in races and backgrounds shouldn't be met with banning but by levelling the playing field with level 1 feats etc to make sure all content is competitive. Strong and flexible characters allow you to use good monsters.
>>
R8
>>
>>92551026
>>92551050
Booming Blade + Spell sniper + Reach weapon = extra damage at a distance. It's excellent battlefield control for spellcasters who are squishy, and works great on a Bladesinger or similar.
>>
>>92551026
>It just seems like a normal attack and they only get damage if they willingly move. That's it.
That's it, but that's a lot.
Firstly, because at levels 1-4, it's pretty much a strictly better attack action. One that actually exerts a degree of control for a melee character.
Even beyond that though, the damage scales for both the initial hit and secondary damage as you level, so in theory you can do a lot of damage off of just a single strike.
There are also feats and abilities you can use alongside this to enable it further though. Methods of moving without provoking opportunity attacks or pushing enemies around can isolate them and force them to either take the damage or make subpar attacks.

>But otherwise it seems very limited compared to the other SCAG cantrips.
The others are highly limited. Greenflame Blade has some of the upsides here, but requires you to be surrounded by multiple enemies to really get the value, and fire is overall a worse damage type than thunder.
Sword Burst likewise requires you to be surrounded, and is just a bit of force damage based off of a Dex save. Nothing to really write home about.
Lightning Lure I'd argue is the worst of all, where it's awkwardly worded to only pull the target 10 feet and then only deal damage if they end up within 5 feet of you. As though having it just function like Thorn Whip to automatically pull enemies and deal damage would be too simple.
>>
>>92551074
Retarded. Either ban innate fly speeds or be a better DM and let people have their fly speeds and build encounters around it for and against.
>>
>>92551074
>use reaction 9 feet from the ground
>you fail but damage calculation is based on a 9 ft fall which you take no damage from
i dont understand why you would care about making a check for hovering while moving 0 feet? why would i want to move 5 ft to avoid that?
>>92551102
I don't even think they changed booming blade because it was op with spell sniper
the material component was a melee weapon so there was a rules interaction where you could draw infinite melee weapons out of your component pouch because it didnt have a cost and that is the reason for the change
>>
>>92551074
Utterly meaningless.
>>92551109
That list of homebrew is a pure buff to flying characters for giving them a reaction to try and stop falling if they're at 10-20 feet or something.

Though it's weird that it's easier to catch yourself if you suddenly fall 10 feet than if you're falling 500 feet.
>>
>>92551109
I already do the second thing, I don't care about the balance, I care about it making sense.
Aarakocra are not helicopters and I'm tired of pretending they are.

>>92551118
It expends your reaction.
>>
>>92551140
>Though it's weird that it's easier to catch yourself if you suddenly fall 10 feet than if you're falling 500 feet.
Hmm, I have to think about that
>>
>>92551152
Extra work for zero benefit other than a semblance of "realism" that you're going to have to apply to literally every creature with flying that does not have the Hover keyword. Entirely pointless homebrew your players are going to hate or eventually just ignore.
>>
>>92551118
>i dont understand why you would care about making a check for hovering while moving 0 feet?
It doesn't say the DC, so I'm assuming the DC is the distance descended, which is 0, and the only loss is that hovering uses your reaction
>>
what do I roll to fuck a dragon if I'm a bard? I'm new to 5e and I wanted to know
>>
>>92551220
Persuasion, then performance
>>
>>92551074
>>92551152
>>92551217
wait but nonmagical flight always requires your reaction to hover because otherwise you plummet 500 feet (or however high you are) at the end of your turn so it doesnt even matter if you move 5 feet or not
>>
>>92551170
I'd say to have the DC be a flat 20, with disadvantage if you're falling a distance that is less than your fly speed. If you fail, you fall. If you succeed, you descend your flying speed before you catch yourself.
Firstly, it means any flying character that dumps Strength is functioning as standard, since even on a 20 they can't hit the DC. It also means that minimal investment makes it unlikely to hit the DC, especially for a short fall. But it also gives a good reason to actually make a Strength-based flying character where you could routinely make those checks to avoid getting knocked out of the sky.

Probably means Rogues end up never falling eventually. Also probably means that Dragons and other flying enemies have a way to avoid getting knocked out of the sky.
>>
>>92551050
Oh, right, I forgot it adds base damage at 5. Which is cool, I could honestly see it being great on a Paladin or EK using it to tank and prevent enemies running away, then. Just less so on a squishier Gish like Bladesinger/Hexblade. Of course there's "Forced" movement like that, too, so hey. Plus, realizing that about War Caster basically makes it Sentinel for casters, and that's such a frequently taken feat it's an obviously useful interaction.
>>
>>92551152
Also if you care about "realism" hilariously Aarakocra already have built in lore for how they fly in place: "They can spend hours in the air, and some go as long as days, locking their wings in place and letting the thermals hold them aloft."

If you need more than that to "justify" it then you're trying way too hard and you probably split hairs over the tiniest things and need to fix that.
>>
>>92551284
most straight paladins (high elf/kobold? maybe some others) dont get access to booming blade and they wouldnt like it very much either, they want more attacks to crit more often to smite more often with
bladesinger loves booming blade since you could be two weapon fighting with shadow blade
use attack 1 with shadow blade, use your cantrip extra attack booming blade with a scimitar or shortsword, TWF with shadow blade for a potential 3d8+1d6+1d8+3d8+3xdex with a third level slot
>>
Any modules/adventures/homebrew/whatever of a haunted bakery or something related?
>>
>>92551342
True enough, but it's one of various feats away. And I have played High Elf so many times because of the free cantrip it's not even funny, and one of my favorite characters I've ever played at the moment is a HE Ancients Paladin. Which, ironically, I took Gust on, which is suboptimal but was thematic for the campaign.

All this to say, that makes sense. I totally forgot about the TWF option, I often ignore that but that's very valid. I do think there's room there, since using the base Smite rules (Since the 5.5 version is balls), you could technically smite on one of the SCAG cantrips. By the time you hit 5 and add the base damage that stacks up. I mean, shit, it's actually worded that they take the normal effects of the attack; you could, theoretically, cast one if the Smites as a bonus action to prime it, attack with the cantrip, and on-hit trigger both the effects of the cantrip, smite, and then choose to burn a slot for Divine Smite too. For instance, assume a Level 5 sword-and-board Paladin does that with a longsword and Thunderous Smite; one attack, a level 1 slot, and a level 2 slot goes 1d8+2d6 Thunder+3d8 Radiant+1d8 Thunder+Str. And they still have an extra attack after that, and the chance to push them ten feet, and then take more damage if they try to move back after that. So maybe a bit less than that, but all one roll and damn fun. It's a wonder this isn't considered more, unless I'm missing something that makes it not work.

>>92551103
Very good points, I always forget how good the cantrips are as just "This is your attack action now" for things that don't get extra attack/keep to melee/eventually get to replace an attack with a cantrip. And I've probably always just underrated the mobility potential.

>Other cantrips
I've always loved Green Flame for easy extra damage and a pseudo-cleave. AoE cantrips are underrated for melee depending on how the DM runs, but I get you. Lightning Lure is bizarre and TW is underrated because Druid, kek.
>>
>>92551019
That is wrong.
>>
>>92551574
does 5.5 let you use extra attack with a cantrip with any class? using a cantrip to attack with doesnt give you extra attack in 5e
>>
File: Spoiler Image (3.96 MB, PDF)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB PDF
>>92551509
Be advised, this one page dungeon is made by Kiel Chenier and has fetish stuff.
>>
>>92551574
>I've always loved Green Flame for easy extra damage and a pseudo-cleave.
Don't get me wrong, Greenflame blade isn't bad, and I appreciate it for similar reasons. It's just that Booming Blade tends to overshadow it.
The issue I have with AoE damage cantrips is usually that the average damage isn't actually enough to clear out anything more dangerous than Kobolds. Unless you're routinely surrounded by goblins at level 5+, I can't see it getting much mileage. And even in the cases where it could, I'd say Thunderclap is better, because the sorts of enemies weak enough to actually die to it are probably going to have worse Con than Dex.
>>
Is it worth taking Shocking Grasp over other damage cantrips if you have a mostly loyal Flesh Golem minion?
>>
>>92551595
I don't think it automatically does, but it does make EK's war magic work like the Bladesinger feature, which does that, and I feel like Warlocks may get something like that with the Pact changes but I'm not sure offhand. Which, once again, the cantrips help those who don't get extra attack anyways, but hey.

I do realize why you may have asked that, in which case I realize the Paladin wouldn't be able to do that and still have an extra attack left, but the rest still stands. Especially since, frankly, smiting on your extra attack feels like diminishing returns after a while and runs out very fast, especially since you end up not having slots to do anything else. Which, I know, it's their bread and butter, but I like to have some utility available.

Though I just realized that with the 5.5 version of it, which has been a houserule I used before the playtest since Tasha's did it better with Bladesinger, frankly, you can use EK and do one of the cantrips and two attacks at Level 11. Which is neat. I feel like I've slept on EK for how much I love Gishes considering the low slots.
>>
>>92551672
Yes because its good if you want to run away, its good against enemies with metal armor, and the damage type is not as easily resisted as types like poison or fire.
>>
>>92551684
Warlocks very much shouldn’t get anything like that, unless EB or the relevant invocations are nerfed pretty hard.
>>
>>92551672
flesh golem minion? what is the class and subclass?
>>
File: 564564561894.jpg (377 KB, 1743x857)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>92551509
>Any modules/adventures/homebrew/whatever of a haunted bakery or something related?
"Evil Rises" in Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts 3 - Lairs
You can load it in 5etools homebrew manager
>>
>>92551797
Draconic Sorcerer, fire damage specialist.
>>
>>92551771
I mean, they can get three attacks now with Pact of the Blade and Thirsting Blade. Three. I'd rather they keep two and get to do that at 11 or something. Though you are correct in that the class that'd benefit the most from this would be Warlocks, hilariously.
>>
>>92551270
These are pretty well thought out, I'll mull it over before I introduce my, or any other flight changes.
Honestly I don't think my players even understand how strong flying is, so I usually don't worry about it
>>
File: 2a6.jpg (51 KB, 709x595)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>92552148
Good thing warlocks don't multiclass well with any martials!
>>
>>92552181
I think my players are the opposite, where they seem to think flying is more busted than it really is. My previous game had them just assuming races with an innate flight speed were banned despite me allowing them in the past. Personally I find the flying races a little bland, but that's really the only problem.

Generally speaking though, houserules to make flight realistic would need to be fairly strict in order to avoid some of the existing weirdness. The best you could probably do is declaring that a flying character needs to end at least 20 feet horizontally from where they began their turn, to prevent cases where characters just spiral in a loop.
But even that's probably overlooking something obvious, and overall it doesn't really do much. If makes flight harder indoors, but flight already isn't great indoors.
>>
>>92552201
At the point you'd get that, you'd already have dipped 5 into Warlock and taken two invocations to do that, and they'd still only ever have two attacks with how Extra Attack works. They would have 5 invocations at that point, though, is that's something.

Fuck, the more I look at the playtest Warlock, the more busted it looks. I was still annoyed by the low slots, but it's by far the best thing they've done with the playtests. Aside from dips they needed the love.

On that note, I can almost see it going the other way now and people dipping Paladin a few levels and finishing out Warlock instead of the other way around. They do get an invocation level 1 now so you'll still probably get the dip even with Hexblade gone since that allows you to get Blade, but hey.
>>
>>92550294
3 rounds to get to full power is terrible.

in those three rounds, you could have been attacking either through PAM, or TWF and doing damage.

finally, at round 4, most combat is already over.
>>
>>92552226
Full agreement.
>>
File: Golem_IronGolem.png (185 KB, 373x576)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
How would you scale a magic weapon that lets you exchange multiattacks and attack actions for one very deadly hit? I want to give that to the right hand of the BBEG and I know that the fighter would love to loot it from him.
>>
>>92552301
Depends on the weapon, but generally speaking you do miss out on a lot of consistency and damage.
A second swing of a greatsword would be 7, plus maybe 5 for strength, and potentially 10 from GWM, not to mention anything from other sources.
I could easily see it being like 3d12 per attack, depending on the exact level.

It might work better to give it a certain number of uses per day and overtune it, along with making the extra damage a special type of damage. Like sacrificing an extra attack for 3d12+3 lightning damage at the cost of one of the weapon's charges.
>>
>>92552301
>mirage sword or something
>x charges, regained daily at dawn
>when you roll damage with this weapon, you can expend a charge to grant your target immunity to your weapon damage until the end of turn
>if you do, the target takes twice that damage at the end of its next turn as force damage

I also made picrelnif it gets your noggin joggin
>>
>>92552301

increase crit chance by 2 (Crits on 18-20), have it deal 4x weapon damage (GS is 2d6 so it deals 8d6)

only use it 3 times a day.
>>
>>92552201
haha yeah, can you imagine a martial class that uses spell slots to pump out big damage, haha sounds pretty cool but good thing there isn't a class that does that haha imagine if it was cha based to haha
>>
Is it worth building a Rogue around Booming Blade? Is it good? Is it fun?

Is it Arcane Trickster or bust, or can you have fun with other subclasses if you get the cantrip from a different source, like your race or a feat?
>>
>>92552798
>Is it worth building a Rogue around Booming Blade
May as well unless you're taking 5 levels for extra attack
>Is it fun
If all you're doing is BB and disengage or using mobile and dash, not particularly. Arcane trickster is probably the most fun rogue subclass though, simply because of their ability to do disguise self antics.
>>
File: cnutPn9.jpg (114 KB, 640x680)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What would a good background be for a conjuration wizard?
>>
>>92552798
It works out well if you're going to be going for melee as an Arcane Trickster anyway. Though I'd say it's more due to the fact that Arcane Trickster is just one of the best Rogue subclasses overall.
>>
>>92552798
Booming blade on a swashbuckler rogue is great because one of their features prevents enemies you attack from making opportunity attacks against you, meaning you can safely run in and booming blade a guy, then back up so he has to follow you and eat the thunder damage. Being a high elf or a Variant Human with magic initiate is a good route to go.
>>
>>92552375
The idea is to make it more of a tactical choice, whether you use your attacks or wait for that one that you know that it will deal a lot of damage and possibly be unavoidable.

>>92552395

I'm going to 100% use that but as something else.

>>92552418

Thank you! I decided to settle on the idea of a greatsword.
>>
2 hours into our session and nobody's done anything because our DM is doing a solo side quest for the rogue.
>>
>>92553180
Maybe he's dedicating time to the one player not phoneposting during the session
>>
>>92553180
Cut in and ask what the rest of you are doing in the meantime. Or, PM your GM like an adult. You ARE emotionally mature and can communicate your grievances in a productive and healthy way, right?
>>
>>92553538
>>92553424
I appreciate the sentiment but I asked if there was something we could be doing and he just said wait so here I am still.
>>
Been banned from playing support classes because my regular DM “wants to challenge me” after a year of me rolling clerics or stars druids, but I refuse to play a non-caster because they can’t do anything cool, or a bard because I’d actually be made to sing; what classes/subclasses are fun to play?
>>
>>92553695
Which level, and what else can be found in the party?
>>
>>92553180
>>92553424
Yeah anon, ypu need to be paying attention when the main character is on-screen. Honestly, the fact that you're not even taking notes on ways you can interact with said main character just highlights how shitty of a player you are. If I were the DM, I rip up your character sheet, set fire to the scraps and piss on the ashes before beating the shit out of you to the roaring applause of the rest of the group. Even thinking about bot enjoying watching the rogues solo session should automatically let the other players know to call up Crawford and get your player license revoked. You piece of shit.
>>
File: SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf (4.63 MB, PDF)
4.63 MB
4.63 MB PDF
What's the most competent character you can make using only content from the SRD? I'm guessing some kind of Half-Elf.
>>
>>92553695
>I refuse to play a non-caster because they can’t do anything cool
I doubt you've been doing anything cool as a support bitch
>>
>>92553878
Champion Fighter or Evoker Wizard
>>
>>92553695
Play an artillerist and blow shit up while spamming Temp HP.
>>
>>92553767
Bugbear echo warrior fighter, aasimar divine soul sorcerer, tiefling oath of vengeance paladin, gnome forge cleric. Party’s in the sequel to phandelver, we’ve I got as far as the dwarf ruins with the visions and leant too hard into paranoid insanity so the dm asked if I wanted to make him snap and be a boss fight for the party, and then roll a new character. I do get to play the boss and fight the party if I choose, which could be fun and the dm is really keen, but I have no idea what the hell to roll next or how the new guy can reasonably blend with the party
>>
>>92553886
Harengon stars with misty step and war caster, which was fun because I could teleport behind casters and literally “nothing personnel, kid” them with primal savagery and opportunity attacks, or hang back with bless, guiding bolt, and star javelins, or spam giant spiders.
>>
>>92553695
Does your DM consider Paladin a support class?
>>
Running a Spelljammer campaign with my group now. 4 players and me level 9. It's been fun Their current BBEG is a homebrew skeleton gangster that I took from this image. Named Bones Malone I've had a blast with the cool space travel and making little universes with weird planets. I had each player make 2 planets in the current universe that I am sandboxing with them. I think the new version has a lot of faults (no ship to ship combat like seriously what the hell) but I get all of the old books and some modern conversions on DMSguild. So I like the 5e rules with the 2e story and setting.
>>
>>92553180
My group would have been roleplaying or doing retarded shit in the background, like wasting spells or resources on pissing contests. Do you guys really just sit around and do nothing if the DM isn't speaking to you?
>>
>>92554281
Depends on the oath, but we already have a paladin and I played a religious fanatic last campaign
>>
>that artwork
The goodest ending
>>
I'm trying to homebrew a class that mimics Artoria from Fate/ for 5e. Is this a good thread to drop it and get feedback on balance and ideas? Doesn't look like there's a homebrew General up right now.
>>
5eg, im thinking of making my own advanced version of dnd. here are my changes to races and subraces?

Races:
- all races have a speed of 30 + 5xSTR mod
- All special senses have a range of 60 + 5xWIS mod
- humans get jack of all trades and a feat
- dwarves get the oned dnd package. tremorsense counts as sight
- Elves use the onednd version but lose darkvision and gain an expertise. they also count as fey
- gnomes use the one dnd version. They two tool profs and inspiration each long rest (saves might be changed to resistance to fear/charm). they also count as earth elementals
- Halflings use the one dnd version
- Orcs use the onednd version, their adrenaline gives them Con+Level (might change that to con+ 2xlevel thp, and they have advantage on str checks)

Subraces/cultures
- arctic: resistance to cold, prone, and forced movement
- forest: climb speed, +5 movement, hide in lightly obscured
- desert: fire resistance. blindsight out to 5xWis (minimum 5)
- mountain: climb speed, ignore difficult terrain
- underdark: you get 120 + 10xWIS darkvision, and your choice of drow, duergar, or deep gnome magic (mix and match)
- dragonborn: you get elemental/gem resistances and a fizban breath weapon (damage = Con + Level). you also count as a dragon
- fey touched: you gain fey acestry and your choice of fairy/fibolg magic (mix and match). you also count as fey
- goliath: you get powerful build, +5 reach, and advantage on str checks. you also count as a giant
- tiefling: you gain fire resistance and your choice of tiefling subrace spells (mix and match) you also count as a fey.
- aasimar: you have radiant resistance and your choice from a list of cleric spells
- alternatively, you can get a second race
>>
>mobile flourish has no save
>also has no size restriction on the push
Lol get shoved giants
>>
>>92554287
Yeah, should have saved your money. 5e Spelljammer is the most anemic shit in the entire system. Boggles my mind how they thought it was worth publishing as one book, let alone a three-part boxed set.
>>
>>92553695
paladins are the easiest damage dealers for the average player, and their spell list while not great still has bangers like command and bless. Ranger does better DPR, but you need to learn how to use it. Check the TTB basic build for rangers as its generally the one best suited for the average table (your dm will have a hard time challenging you with one of their gloomstalker builds)

Alternatively, play a wizard or sorcerer. they have great blast spells that also have a control elrment, like rime's binding ice, thunderwave, black tentacles and wall of fire
>>
>>92553695
Be an eldritch knight or an arcane trickster, nerd
>>
>>92553695
>bard because I’d actually be made to sing
What are you talking about? Bards don't even have to sing.
>>
>>92555039
there are plenty of shit dms out there that forbid reflavoring
>>
>>92555132
that's cool, but bards aren't proficient in singing just instruments
>>
>>92555132
Bards not singing is not even reflavoring. Beat your DM to death if he is incapable of reading the PHB and supplementary material.
With the PHB is possible.
>>
>>92555132
>>92555201
>a bard weaves magic through words and music
>a master of song, speech, and the magic they contain
>magic comes from the heart and soul you pour into the performance of your music or oration
Bards can speech and song and music good, but you do not have to sing to be a bard.
>>
>>92555132
>swords bard has to bring a sword to the game and wave it around
How many times can you play wonderwall per session before they give up on that?
>>
>>92555254
post where the books list singing as a bard proficiency
>>
>>92555289
Are you being obtuse on purpose? Singing isn't a skill, but the class description literally says they're masters of song. It's a way (not the way, but a way) that bards can use performance to interface with the weave.
Singing is not mandatory, but that doesn't change the fact that they're good at it by default.
>>
>>92555319
>can't post anything to back up his claims
>thinks his opinion is absolute fact
>forces his headcanon onto a class
post where the book lists singing as a bard proficiency
>>
>>92555201
You don't even need to play an instrument to cast magic as a Bard, you can just use a component pouch instead. Performance would probably cover singing though.
>>
Here's the first draft I have. Just focused on putting Artoria's abilities into DnD terms. Would appreciate feedback on balance. Damage die changes, ways to better diversify damage types, ways to focus the class, DnD terms I used wrong. Any criticism really.
>>
File: Lulu.png (1.37 MB, 1078x1270)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>92542147
Have you thanked the party casters yet, /5eg/?
>>
>>92555702
This is fucking unreadable.
>>
File: 1000009516.gif (743 KB, 409x436)
743 KB
743 KB GIF
>>92554857
Holy shit that's an oversight and I can't wait to use it. I'm about to play a Swords Bard, can't believe I slept on this so long.
>>
>>92555702
Firstly, you really need better formatting if you're going to be sharing homebrew.

That said, already there's some glaring issues standing out here:
>adding Con modifier to all attack/damage rolls and AC when armored
This breaks bounded accuracy to a ridiculous degree. Anyone who invests more than 12 into Con is getting a massive edge. Already I would say to scrap this and start over.
>bonus action dodge a number of times equal to half class level, or a reaction to halve damage
This is crazy durability on top of the fact that you're adding Con to Armored AC.
>Mana pool
Yet another reason to invest in Con, and it scales up very well, along with being regained on a short rest. And what can you use this on?
A bonus action to take the Attack Action. Not a single attack, an extra ATTACK ACTION. And you can make it 15 or 20 in order to stack up to multiple per turn.
Even without any Con investment, you get two of these per short rest at 2nd level, and 5 per short rest at 5th. It's just Action Surge on Crack.

I'm not even going to read any further than this, because just by the first two levels of abilities you've created a class that seems stronger than a Fighter in every way and have 0 idea what you're doing.
Even in terms of flavor, isn't this chick supposed to be a swordfighter? Why is there even the option to use bows or apply these bonuses to ranged attacks?
>>
How many sessions do you give before you decide a campaign is not for you?
This was the first actual campaign I joined a few months back and I’ve been trying to give it a chance. I like my character, but now I feel either completely bored or that I’m pulling teeth talking to the party. The other players are always talking about how fun the previous campaign was but I can’t imagine it with how dull this current game is. I think I’m only still playing out of obligation. At the same time the GM keeps saying how we’re still in the setup stage, so maybe it’ll pick up once we the plot truly kicks in.

And I’m in two other campaigns now and they’re both a fucking blast every time.
>>
>>92555039
>his DM doesn’t make bards rhyme when they cast spells
>>
>>92555852
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I was unfamiliar with bounded accuracy, thanks for letting me know. Like I said, this is a first draft so I'm sure it's full of shit ideas, stuff that's broken for reason's I don't know about, etc.

The idea with the Con modifier on everything is that in Fate, Artoria isn't that strong physically, its Mana Burst that makes her super strong. It works like I described by reinforcing herself and all her stuff with her magic energy. My idea was that like in lore, you would focus on con (and cha for the later ability) without putting much in to str or dex since it would supplement it.
What would be a good way to cap Mana Burst bonus? Just making it a flat bonus by level instead? I would prefer to avoid that, it just feels like a cop out to me.
> Not a single attack, an extra ATTACK ACTION
I'll adjust the wording on that, my intention was that you could swing your sword again, not cast fire ball 3 times or something.
> I'm not even going to read any further than this
There are several abilities later that are about converting converting distance traveled into falling damage. How broken is that in general?
>>
/5eg/, I need an idea for a homebrew human trait. Something that's not super powerful but is also not a ribbon
>>
>>92556222
>Headpat
>When taking a short rest, choose one creature other than yourself. Until you take a short or long rest, that creature has the benefits of the Bless spell. This effect does not require concentration.
>>
>>92556219
>I was unfamiliar with bounded accuracy
Yeah, that's why I'm telling you to stop homebrewing for 5e if you don't even know the basics of the system.
>I'll adjust the wording on that, my intention was that you could swing your sword again, not cast fire ball 3 times or something.
It doesn't let you cast fireball three times. That's not what the attack action is.

Are you going to keep asking me questions until I just homebrew the class on your behalf? Because honestly that'd be faster.
>>
>>92556219
>I was unfamiliar with bounded accuracy,
bro you need to learn the notes before writing music. All your stuff sounds like you have zero knowledge of the system or basic guidelines
>>
>>92556222
>an extreme tempeature resistance (hot or cold)
>30ft swim speed
>30ft climb speed
>PB times a day,m they can give themselves advantage persuasion (charisma) checks made when making a purchase or sale)

All of this, but they choose one. They make the decision on character creation, and it defines either their culture or the location thei were born (hot place, cold place, wet place, vertical place, or if they're part of a merchant empire etc.)
>>
>>92556586
>PB times a day,m they can give themselves advantage persuasion (charisma) checks made when making a purchase or sale)
This but they have to act out the scene in Life of Brian
>>
>>92556222
>Human Ingenuity
>Advantage to one ability or tools check of your choice per long rest

something like that maybe.
>>
Joining a 9th level campaign as a High Elf Forge Cleric, and the DM is allowing 2 uncommon and either 2 rare or 1 very rare magic items. Suggestions? Looking to be a frontline melee tank/basher btw.
>>
>>92556593
Biggus Dickus?
>>
>>92556634
[Spoiler] ten for that you must be mad [/Spoiler]
>>
>>92556667
you really fucked that one up, phoneposter
>>
File: 5465421654651.jpg (905 KB, 2571x1055)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
everytime the party visits their alchemist npc friend in town, he's trapped in some kind of self made disaster and they have to rescue it (frozen in alchemical amber, stuck in the ethereal plane, this time swallowed by overgrown plant)
Which map looks more interesting to fight in?
>>
>>92556629
Uncommon: Sentinel Shield (Or winged Boots if someone else has one or you have another high perception character) and Amulet of the Devout
Rare: Cloak of Displacement and Ring of Spell Storing

You're welcome.
>>
>>92556724
I like having more space and more opportunities to get monsters between the party members and flanking backliners.
>>
>>92556724
Right. Left is better for focus and if other NPCs join mid-combat/if there's some feature to exploit on all sides, but right is best for spacing enemies and creating meaningful movement. Big round arenas aren't very valuable in 5e unless enemies have movement potential or area effects that create choice.

Great gimmick, by the way, love your logic.
>>
>>92556724
The left. More room to spread out the enemies so they don't die to a single fireball. Looks like a cooler space. And there's a bunch of alchemical bullshit, chains, and tools lying around, so there's more environmental potential than just a greenhouse full of plants.
The one on the right might be better if you wanted an ambush, where the players wander in and only realize partway that some of the plants are monsters.
>>
>>92556829
you sound knowledgeable
how would you place the party and enemies at the start on the right map to make the combat interesting? Any additional mechanics? The only mechanic I am pretty much sure on so far is difficult terrain everywhere due to vines, but I've only been planning this fight since a couple hours ago
The setup to the fight can be anything: they see a normal plant, approach and it suddenly grows and minions sprout out of pods, or they go in there knowing it's a fight, or the clone of their friend made by the plant lures them there, etc
Im using bodytaker plant / podling stats but I can also add something more interesting to it, like lair action entangles or thorns being shot
>>
File: 1692710887555734.png (120 KB, 990x881)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>92555702
>13 restraints
nah
>>
>>92552889
"I wanna insult everyone by using magic to do shit for my. Unseen Servant? Wipe my ass for me"
>>
>>92556916
>>92552889
in pathfinder conjuration is associated with the sin of sloth in the runelord stuff
>>
>>92556847
Thank you for the suggestions!
>>
>>92556842
Ambush could work, but after two situations it might be best for them to realize the danger before rushing into the encounter area; an initial interaction with the podling version of the alchemist should suffice. Maybe something about being obviously acting strangely (even for them), the odd "new hires" maintaining the new workshop, the high humidity in the entire lab, and for a direct giveaway maybe a podling spills something caustic on themselves that gives it away.
I think party starting at left door and working towards right where the main plant has gone Audrey II on the alchemist makes a clear goal, with the enemies spaced decently as they are now to create opportunity attacks, stopgaps, etc. Like another anon points out, fireball can do serious damage in there, but you have the benefit of an alchemist NPC who would foresee such dangers and commit time to anti-fire glyphs of warding. The vines can be a Grasping Vine lair action, there can be a chance before the fight for PCs to grab chemicals to bring in with them.
For an additional element of fun, did you know even plants can mechanically attune to magic items, and that artificers can craft headbands of intellect?
>>
/5eg/, which makes more sense?

>remove tool proficiencies and replace them with the Craft skill
>remove the Performance skill and change musical instrument proficiencies to include all performances (e.g. dance, poetry)
>>
>>92556952
>"An Inn? Ever heard of Tiny Hut, Retard?"

>"An Inn? Ever heard of Galder's Tower, Bitch"

>"A Tavern? Uh huh sure, 'Create Food and Water'.."

>"I ain't walkin' all the over to the Galder's Tower, I'm gonna use Thunder Step because we're 2 feet from each other and I'm a dick"

>"You want to spend money to fuck the Changeling? Yea okay, I'm gonna save money and have these Black Tentacles molest me"

>"I'm not fighting those Orcs, uhhh Conjure elemental or Conjure Woodland Being, which one do you prefer"
>>
>>92555702
>feedback on balance
There isn't any. Hope this helps.
>>
>>92557025
The second one always made more sense to me personally. Performance is already a really niche skill, and generally speaking if somebody is making a performance check, it's probably a Bard who has three different instrument proficiencies anyway.

Not to mention that tool proficiencies can apply to more than just strictly using that tool. Drum proficiency could easily apply to dancing for a general sense of rhythm. Lyres or Calligrapher's supplies could both tie into somebody's skill at poetry. Or as you said, you could easily add other forms of performance to the list of instruments and just have it be a tool proficiency in mechanical terms only.

Tool proficiency as a whole is honestly something that could probably see a lot more use in terms of niche knowledge, like applying Mason's tool proficiency when examining stonework rather than just using investigation.
>>
>>92556219
Do not write for a system until you understand the system. Read every class and subclass in the game, then read chapters seven through ten of the PHB. Not skimming, actual reading. Then do it again. And then, THEN try writing this again with some modicum of self-awareness. Not "fixing", rewriting from scratch.
>>
>>92556219
>fateshit
>>
>>92556219
>The idea with the Con modifier on everything is that in Fate, Artoria isn't that strong physically, its Mana Burst that makes her super strong
What does that have to do with Constitution?
You know Constitution is the stat that determines endurance and how many hit points you have, right?
>>
>>92556586
Garbage
>>
>>92553695
what does this mean?
clerics and stars druids can lean heavily into damage if they want to
if he wants a pure blaster then you cant go wrong with aberrant mind sorc
hex and upcast scorching ray will be your bread and butter but you can cast silvery barbs for one sorcery point to negate crits or to help the save or suck spells from your allies to stick
>>
>>92554216
Arcane Trickster with Booming Blade.
>>
>>92557280
then at level 10 you can cast synaptic static 8 times per day or have summon aberration (beholderkin) last 12+ hours by converting your other spell slots into sorcery points
it is completely overkill but it can be done
>>
File: 1698070770305234.png (82 KB, 1650x268)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
Where were you when you realised TMKWTD takes things a little bit too literally
>>
>>92557762
Damn, I love the Nagpa* as both an overarching antagonist and a creature in combat.

*Tome of Foes version; the dumbed-down version from the book for dumb people can go straight to hell and stay there forever.
>>
>>92558024
>No you don't understand, you can't just pick and choose what you want from books! You have to always use the newest version! You just can't use one thing from one book, and another from a second book! And don't even get me started on making your own statblock! AAAAHHHHH! CRAWDADDY!! SAVE ME!!!!!
>>
A Battle Master, a Battlerager and a Battle Smith walk into a bar...
>>
every time i make a new character i just pick drow/mino/goblin...
i cant help it man all these races look fun as fuck and funky to RP
i worried about seeming a tard but honestly i carry these plots
>>
>>92558316
based tard
>>
>>92557762
I always they thought he was somewhat overrated. And I strongly disagree with his Ability Score assessments.
>>
>>92558471
>I strongly disagree with his Ability Score assessments.
Oh, I agree. 'It has an 8 in intelligence so it's too retarded to do anything but charge'
>>
I feel that my character might feel like dead weight to the rest of the party
> Divination wizard level 6
Cantrips are mostly utility, I took the telekinetic feat, several rituals (augury, identify and detect magic are the most used).
Prepared spells right now: mage armor, shield, absorb elements, misty step, scorching ray, Nathair's mischief, vortex warp, locate object, mind whip, sending, slow.

The party's warlock (GOO) and druid (Moon) use control spells and summons/wildshape.
The party also has an arcana cleric (he has an item that's pretty much an at will Tongues but only targeting himself, so I didn't take that spell).
I got an Astromancy archive, which I've used mostly to give the +1d4 bonus/penalty to allies/enemies.
I have a +2 arcane grimoire. Since I don't have warcaster, in combat I just have the grimoire on one hand, and the other hand is free.

Other than Scorching ray, I pretty much do no damage. Last session I had no spell slots for the fight, so I only used mind sliver and the enemies saved like 4 times and failed only once (zombie-like guys), my spell save DC is 17.

Does this sound like I'm fucking up badly?
It's my first campaign/character, so I feel I might be paranoid.
>>
>>92558471
>>92558610
>>92557762
By making most monsters run at 50% HP you should probably halve their CR
>>
>>92558640
Just take all non-combat utility shit then unless your literally spending every session only in combat.
>>
When is the appropriate time to reveal to an IRL group that I have created a concerning amount of homebrew content for 5e?
>inb4 never
No way I'll be able to avoid revealing my autism forever.
>>
>>92558821
Set a campaign in your magic realm, and drop all the OC cringe shit you want
>>
>>92558640
you could probably lose absorb elements, having it along with mage armor and shield is just way too many defensive 1st level spells. if your dm will allow silvery barbs, that's a top tier spell that could also fit in with the theme of a diviner tipping the scales for their allies in combat.

to be completely honest, it's probably just you feeling bad for yourself. if you do absolutely nothing but cast slow in a large combat and sit there waiting for an opportunity to use your portents to help your allies, you're already doing a lot for the team.

having two other support/control casters probably doesn't help you feel a lot better, since there is overlap but i genuinely think it's very difficult to "fuck up" a divination wizard as long as you are using their features.

also some advice, if specific spell scrolls are easy to come by in your DM's campaign it might be best to learn non-divination spells on level ups to take advantage of the halved gold cost you have for copying divination spells. if scrolls are hard to come by though, feel free to ignore this as it won't really do you much good.
>>
>>92558640
Why aren't you hasting the moon druid? Why aren't you throwing fireballs? What else are you expecting to do in a fight with no slots other than spam cantrips? Grab some scrolls like fireball/lightning bolt, counterspell, tiny hut. I don't know your game and if your spells are any good or not, but you can rectify bot feeling like a dead weight by learning spells that won't make you feel that way.
>>
>>92558968
The other wizard in the party (abjuration) took fireball and haste, but monster placement meant that he has only cast fireball like twice in ~6 sessions, and I've never seen him cast haste. He pretty much only spams magic missile (DM gave him a magic item that makes it a bit more powerful).

The only time I've spent combat spamming cantrips (mind sliver) was last session, because I got to combat with no spell slots, but to be honest it feels that my main role is repositioning others either by moving them myself with telekinetic and vortex warp, or by taking away reactions for opportunity attacks with slow and mind whip.
And well, using the portents and Astromancy charges to affect others' rolls.

I'd rather not rely on spells other than the ones at level up, since now gold is super tight and access to civilization is very limited.
>>
>>92558946
Thanks for the advice.
Yeah I had been considering dropping absorb elements, only picked it due to nearly dying (as is damage almost twice my max hp) to a fire spell in early game.
Silvery barbs is not allowed though.
>>
Is bladesinger cantrip extra attack too good?
I feel like with EK getting it maybe swords bard could get it? I know there’s arguments that bb is too good but I’d love a damage type with this type of cantrip across the board. Some offering more utility over damage.
Basically. Is it too much to ask my dm if I can get cantrip slap on a swords bard?
>>
>>92558316
I wish drow had some better features. I’m sucker for wanting my racials to be something I can lean on most sessions.
Maybe I’ll try one as the one dnd EK extra spells known/uses can’t be too bad on a 1/3 caster.
Dex based magus swordsman from the underdark whose come to the surface to try out his skills/test the over world.
>>
this is what the average duel between a level 5 wizard and cleric should look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430ejbSn-5k
>>
Dnd leveling always triggered my autism.
So my level 1 wizard can cast 2 spells a day even though he's supposedly studying magic all his life, and my level 1 fighter has 4 more hitpoints than the average kobold even though he used to be in the army.
But after beating up the local bandit leader (ie leveling up), suddenly the wizard can cast double the spells he could before and the fighter can actually reliably hit things now?
>>
>>92560075
easily solved by starting at lvl 2
>>
What are some tricks to engage a player into quests/factions/npc related to their character when they just are playing that boring "lonesome misanthrope ranger" first character?
>>
>>92560075
>even though he's supposedly studying magic all his life
Serves you right for making that your backstory
>>
>>92560075
>>92560339
Theoryfag with no real-world experience whatsoever. Beating up the local bandit leader was his first practical application of magic. And his first taste of danger outside of the explosions and misfires of his own making.
>>
Hypothetically speaking, is there any class or subclass that doesn't work with the bog standard PHB Half-Elf? It gets +2 to Charisma, +1 to two other ability scores of choice, Darkvision, Fey Ancestry, two free skills, and Elvish and a free language.
>>
>>92560601
Not really but it doesn't synergise with a lot of classes
>>
>>92560614
Barbarian, for example? Are there any standard races that are far and away better than Half-Elf for the Barbarian?
>>
>>92560640
Half-orc is basically built to be one
>>
What if there were prestige races similar to prestige classes? So the PC starts as some boring basic bitch human, but then eventually they may hit a point where they evolve like a pokemon into some cooler sort of human.
>>
>>92560859
It's a fair way of dealing with freakshit (aarakocra, dragonborn, tieflings, changelings, plasmoids)
>>
>>92560859
The Warcraft d20 RPG had something sort of like that back in the 3.x days. In addition to class levels, you could also take levels in your race, giving certain unique bonuses and features.
>>
>>92560859
Prestige Human has 4 arms and 4 legs like a Machamp
>>
>>92561011
Tenshinhan the STRONGEST HUMAN
>>
File: asura_large_red.jpg (656 KB, 2560x1565)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
>>92561011
I like the idea of six arms.
>>
>>92555916
Only fair if you have to do pushups per D20 when you make strength checks.
>>
File: 1449084184054.jpg (240 KB, 763x800)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>92561035
>>
>>92545521
I wonder if anyone in my party would eat people for a big con buff
>>
Mountain Dwarf
>Land (mountain) druid
Or
>Dao Genielock pact of the talisman
>>
/5eg/, while creating my own homebrew version of 5e, im thinking of changing how tool/language/musical instrument/language proficiencies work. hear me out

>Specialties are a new type of proficiency
>Specialties come in the following types
>>Lore proficiencies include Arcana, Nature, History, Society, and Science
>>Performance proficiencies include all Musical Instruments, as well as Singing, Dancing, Oration, Poetry, Stage Magic, and Ventriloquism
>>Game Proficiencies include all Gaming Set Proficiencies, as well as all Sports proficiencies
>>Tool proficiencies include all miscellaneous tool proficiencies, as well as Ropes, Medicine Kits, Divination Tools, and Mining Tools
>Vehicle proficiencies include land, sea, sky, and spelljammer vehicles
>>
>>92561770
Druid. Dwarves are better at it than elves.
>>
>>92561770
dwarves have a lore excuse to wear metal armor
>>
>>92561897
Seems fine, to an extent. Some of those I'm unclear on the purpose of.
It also seems like it would mean there's drastically fewer INT skills in the game, if now things like Arcana are on par with a tool proficiency instead of a skill. Odd that Religion didn't get added to the lore proficiencies there.

Likewise, I'd question adding sports when things like Athletics/Acrobatics exist, although I suppose that's in a similar boat to Sleight of Hand existing alongside Thieves Tools.
I'd also assuming adding medicine kit as a proficiency would mean the removal of the medicine skill, since the only reason for the medicine kit to exist is for first aid and maybe diagnosing diseases sometimes.

It does seem like the skill list has been trimmed down considerably there though
>Athletics
>Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
>Investigation, (maybe Religion still?)
>Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Survival
>Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion
It's gone from a list of 18 skills to around 12, which means a party of 3 could easily cover every skill in the game.
>>
How boring is it really to play a Barbarian or Fighter in a long combat-heavy campaign? I
>>
>>92562303
Depends on the subclass and how fun you find it to be dealing big damage.
>>
>>92562303
Depends a lot on you and the DM/Fight logistics/creativity.
If you just stand there in front of an enemy swinging once or twice per turn, yeah that can get boring.
If you can get some bonus actions for disengages/movements/actions then you can start to be more creative with the turn by turns.
>>
>>92558640
using mind sliver and your astromancy reaction + telekinetic should have a massive impact to make the enemies get shoved into control effects like web or the clerics spirit guardians and then make sure they fail their save
You don't really need damage as a wizard, it is nice to have but making sure that enemies can't attack you is stronger.
If you feel like dead weight because you do no damage, get spells that deal damage like fireball, psychic lance, cloud of daggers or flaming sphere that you can shove your enemies into with telekinetic to double dip the damage, locate object is through astromancy archive so I hope you have some other known spells that you can replace it with
>>
>>92562303
Be an unarmed grappler who bludgeons foes with other foes.
>>
>>92562413
>>92562425
>>92562528
I'm building in bonus action and reaction teleports but isn't every combat turn just ultimately going to come down to 'I attack'?
>>
>>92562546
every class does that
some do it indirectly but when it comes down to it, even casters will use cantrips to ATTACK with
>>
>>92542147
the closest thing to a party of mine ever getting a happy ending was that we got to continue fighting against evil, potentially forever, having reached a point where we can no longer be easily killed (level 20) but also having made enemies of Hell and an entire nation state. So like, happy for the rest of the world, less so for our PCs personal well being.
>>
>>92562546
Teleports are fun.
Having a reliable bonus action every round is meaningful and therefore fun.
Unarmed battlemaster who drop kicks, swings dead enemies and choke slams enemies is lots of fun. Be a big, brave, dumb man who constantly drags enemies away from his friends screaming “your fight is with me fowl fiend” and everyone will love you.
Shifter beast Barb with 4 attacks every turn at level 5 is loads of fun.
>>
I just want a sorcerer subclass that gets cantrip extra attack.
Every other feature can be absolute ribbons and maybe a few extra spells known.
I’d play it every single campaign without fail.
Also shadow blade should be a legal target for twinning.
>>
>>92562761
And you can't quicken booming blade/greenflame blade?
>>
Gonna be playing in a Dragonlance game pretty soon. Thing is it takes place before the War of the Lance, and I can't find shit in terms of character inspiration. Anyone know of anything I can look through to learn more about the setting back then?
>>
>>92562546
>isn't every combat turn just ultimately going to come down to 'I attack'?
It can, particularly for Barbarians. Fighters can typically get more options than that depending on how you build them, but most of it still is variations on attacking.
Again, it depends on how much you enjoy rolling a bunch of nice and dealing big damage. Killing some dangerous enemy in a single round can be very satisfying.
>>
high level cleric gameplay is just healing your friends and watching them do a shit ton of damage huh
>>
>>92562761
The biggest issue I could see there is that it becomes the de-facto Eldritch Blast spammer, where you quicken Eldritch Blast, and then cast Eldritch blast while also shooting a light crossbow.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to just give it to all Sorcerers for free.
>>
>>92562237
im thinking of adding three new int skills and leaving athletics/acrobatics:

>Learning: used for learning proficiencies and spells.
>Recall: used for remembering exact details
>Magecraft: used for identifying magic items and using the ones you couldn't normally use
>>
>>92563493
Any reason why you just can't use INT checks, history and arcana?
>>
>>92563513
you said yourself learning has no way to gain proficiency, for the second, I suppose you could, for the third, what about primal items or holy relics
>>
Is summon fiend worth taking as a 6th level mystic Arcanum? It seems fitting for a fiend warlock, but I'm torn between that and soul cage, so I'd have a method to actually extract souls to sell.
>>
>>92563493
>Learning: used for learning proficiencies and spells.
This feels extremely odd as a proficiency, even if it were the case where you were bringing back old-school rules where Wizards had to roll to try and learn new spells when they leveled up.
>Recall
Not the worst, since I could see that basically being a skill check version of Keen Mind to remember specific facts or details.
>Magecraft
Identifying magic items is already something one could do for free, and would normally fall under Arcana otherwise. If anything, this skill feels like it would be better as a tool proficiency, in the same way that jeweler's tools proficiency would be useful for appraising the value of jewelry.
Having it primarily be some sort of Use Magic Device skill might work a bit better, like if it applies to the Int checks for Spell Scrolls.
>>
>>92563646
when I say learning spells, I mean wizards learning spells from a scroll
>>
>>92563679
Right. Not a bad call to add an extra check to that, although I think you would need rules in place for how often they can attempt that for any given scroll or spell in a spellbook.
It does seem very strange to have an entire skill which would only be useful for a single class though. Magecraft feels like it could cover that pretty well, since Magecraft would also apply to anyone trying to cast a spell scroll of a spell they don't know, for instance. Those seem like very similar skillsets.
>>
>>92563703
its also used for learning skills, tools, lores, and performances and weapons during downtime
>>
>>92563720
That just feels like a mess to me. If you don't start with proficiency in the Learning skill, then if you have enough downtime for training, then you're simply encouraged to learn the Learning skill first, because if you're forced to roll each time, then it's better to ensure that your odds for future rolls are better.
It just seems like the sort of thing that everyone would pick up sooner rather than later, at which point there's no reason to have it when the DC for learning skills could simply be lower.
>>
>>92563575
>you said
I never that, retard
>you could
That's literally what history is for
>other magic
If you really want nature and religion would cover those, but arcana is just fine
>>
>>92563809
you can also use downtime to tame a pet, craft a magic item, build up a bastion, etc
>>
>>92563938
You could, but if you want to learn a skill, you'd want to learn the skill-learning skill first. Which just seems like it would dis-incentivize people from actually using downtime to learn skills if there's an extra hurdle and failure chance.
And that's on top of the fact that I'd assume stuff like taming a pet or crafting items would also require skills and tools in order to accomplish.

I'm pointing out that the Learn skill is just adding an unnecessary step in the process that basically just serves as a skill tax on any character that plans to ever go beyond the skills they start with.
Except learning skills already requires downtime and money, on top of the fact that you're now requiring a check to do it at all. What is the Learn skill adding to the equation?
>>
/5eg/, what would be a good working name for a 5e fixit?

The only idea I really have is calling it Rogues Gallery and renaming some classes to be more rogue-ish (e.g. paladin=inquisitor,
>>
>>92564126
>What is the Learn skill adding to the equation?
Gatekeeps learning things behind a skill, because you can't learn stuff until you learn to learn.
>>
>>92544841
>>92544890
>>92544777
My party usually has problems with skeletons. They keep forgetting that skeletons have immunity to piercing and weakness to blunt damage. So they don't do enough damage and the skeletons crit quite often. You only need a couple of good hits to make the players fear them. They often get downed by a simple room with a dozen or so skeletons. But then again they are a lower level and I run skeletons a bit different. Depending on a dungeon they might be able to get back up again after some time, depending on they dice rolls and the way they were killed. Another fin thing to try out is a skeleton with a musket or a gun of some kind. Make their presents obvious and make them take a moment before acting or like taking a turn to aim. Scares the shit out of my players as I run guns more as magic items aka big damage, long reload, 'easy' to use and or hit with them. Or just carry like 8 flintlock pistols, as people irl did.
>>
>>92564157
Exactly. That's literally a waste of a skill. It's the exact same problem as feat taxes in 3.5, where in order to take the feat you actually wanted, you had to take some other shitty feat that didn't actually do anything useful beyond being a prerequisite.
>>
>>92564157
This. Besides, there’s already rules for learning skills and proficiencies that don’t rely on a fucking ability check, of all things.
>>
trying to find damage relationships that make sense for an item
something something armor +1. After finishing a long rest choose between fire, air, earth wind element
gain corresponding res and vulnerability while wearing until using again.

earth: res slashing, vulnerability thunder?
fire: res fire dmg, vulnerability cold
air: res bludgeoning, vulnerability ???
water: res piercing, vulnerability lightning?
>>
>>92564174
I'm the anon who told him to use pre-existing mechanics for what he wants to do. The learn skill is stupid.
>>92564185
>but thats no fun!!!!
>>
>>92564171
>They keep forgetting that skeletons have immunity to piercing
They don't
>>
>>92564196
>>92564174
>>92564185

fine, Ill cut the damn learn skill
>>
>>92564215
Cut all of them, there's already skills that cover them.
>>
>>92564234
im removing those skills dipshit. they're being classified as "lores" now
>>
>>92564340
Neat. Cut those too.
>>
What do you all think would be a fitting way to "activate" magical frog statues found in a swamp temple?
>>
>>92564215
You can do whatever you want. You're the one who came here to get a second opinion, and you got one. Take it or leave it.
>>
>>92564363
What do you mean by "activating" it, exactly?
>>
>>92564405
Like awakening its magic power. I've got a route through this swamp temple that will lead to some treasure, but if all the frog statues are activated then a secret passage at the end will open.
>>
>>92564363
Kiss them
>>
>>92564437
Fuck that's actually pretty good.
>>
>>92564210
Then why dont they bring a mace as a secondary weapon? Why are they always surprised when the knifes, rapiers and spears do half or no damage depending on the situation? And dont hit me with >its not an official rule bs
>>
>>92560075
if you go hike the appalachian trail you will actually level up in real life, go try it.
>>
am i too retarded to use a padlock properly
it feels like it takes like three turns to get all my marks and shit on a single target, and it usually dies before i can really feel like it mattered
>>
>>92564622
>Why are they always surprised when the knifes, rapiers and spears do half or no damage depending on the situation?
They don't, read the stat block you nigger
>>
>>92564622
You misread anon's reply. He didn't say the players didn't forget; he said that skeletons don't have piercing immunity.
>>
Why don't they move the stat bonuses to classes instead of to backgrounds? It's not like anybody but a retard would make their Wizard have +2 Strength instead of +2 Intelligence anyway.
>>
Separate darkvision into low light vision again.
>>
/5eg/, I have a problem. I want to make the major spellcasting foci function as weapons, but I'm not sure what to do about musical instruments and tools for bard and artificer. Should I just have them use Arcane Foci?
>>
>>92565172
Well first what are you doing about stuff like holy symbols and crystal balls? Staves are easy, but like...is a Wizard just clubbing an enemy with a hunk of rock? If so then I can't imagine it's hard to have a lute do the same thing.
Also why? Casters often can use regular weapons, and they're not as good as cantrips.
>>
>>92565172
Well what are some examples of spellcasting foci weapons?
Can you give a description and stats on what they would do?
It would help us help you
>>
File: mhw-hunting-horn.jpg (182 KB, 1180x1100)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>92565172
Only one correct answer for instruments
>>
>>92565172
Artificers should be using a hammer or a screwdriver (dagger) for a foci anyway.
>>
>>92565172
Artificers are almost always better off making their own weapons and can usually use them as a focus anyway. The only bards that have any reason to use a weapon by default get to use it as a focus too. You could just make "reinforced instruments" or something so a normal bard could thwack people with a d6 violin
>>
>>92565260
>>
My violin bow is a rapier and my other violin bow is a bow.
>>
>>92565315
Should nock the arrows on the violin strings and shoot them like that. Or just have a multi-stringed bow that you play like a harp.
>>
>>92565208
>>92565211

>Wand: 1d4 force. 30/90. Light
>Censer: 1d6 radiant. 60/180. Versatile (1d8)
>Tuba: 1d12 thunder. 80/320. Two-handed, Heavy

You use Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma for attacks spellcasting foci, and add your modifier to the damage roll. All spells require a focus, and inherit the focus's range if they don't have a range of self or touch. Damaging spells work like blade cantrips and use the focus's damage die
>>
>>92565355
Also, I should specify that paladins, clerics, and rangers can use weapons as foci
>>
>>92565355
Since you are using them as ranged weapons.
Why would a spell caster ever use these weapons?
Why wouldn't they just cast a cantrip?

A key question you should ask yourself is why a player would use it in the first place
>>
>>92565377
read the black text. It explains why
>>
>>92565355
>>92565401
Counter-question, why are you making casters EVEN stronger by giving them useful at-will melee damage options and potentially increasing spell damage dice, when they don't need the boost?
>>
>>92565432
okay. that's a fair point.

Instead, how about this: damage cantrips no longer scale. Using a cantrip just changes the focus's damage type instead
>>
>>92565377
Wizards, sorcerer, artificer and certain other sub-classes have access to firebolt
The wands 1d4+mod isn't gonna be able to compete with a 1d10
Censer beats Toll the dead by being versatile
And the musical instruments give a HARD buff the Bards as they don't get damaging cant rips that are good

>>92565432
Like this anon was saying, Your next question is why should these classes get theses options in the first place
>>
>>92565355
In that case, there isn't an issue with giving instruments a damage die like other foci. Or otherwise just listing each tool/instrument as functioning as the same statblock as an arcane focus, if you want less work.

I think this has other issues, but instruments having stats isn't one of them.
>>
>>92565165
No, replace it with infravision.
>>
This is maybe already convoluted but I want some character motivations. I have a couple
thoughts for villain motivations
I have a Villain called, "The Fishermen"
The Fishermen that's catching 'the Leviathan'.
>He's in the process of raising Atlantis from the sea with Leviathan.
>He's blacking out the sun and in this scenario turns out to be a Mind Flayer(Mind Flayers have lore with them and their Civilization blacking out the sun)
>He's a vampire, so Sun bad
>He wants what Atlantis has/had; not sure what?
>He's taking the monsters strength for some reason like defeating the "empire"

Any ideas or directions wanted
xoxo
>>
>>92565838
Eco friendly. He wants to reclaim the seas and protect it
>>
>>92565838
Well, if his goal is to blot out the sun and he's a vampire/mind flayer, then he'll probably need some method to ensure that there are still sources of blood/brains to feed off of.
So the thing Atlantis has would probably be ideal if it's some sort of endless food source or something else crazy like that. Something that would have made the lost city a utopia but he plans to just use it in order to keep everything sustainable in the post-apocalyptic world he's about to make.
>>
/5eg/, which do you prefer

>every background grants expertise in one of its skills
>every background grants dedication to one of its skills. Once per day when you succeed on a check with that skill, you gain inspiration
>>
File: 654651561561.jpg (383 KB, 1020x1003)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
>should be resolving some plot holes and planning next adventure's major plot points
>instead spend all prep time autistically photo editing battlemaps for a minor side encounter

thanks for suggesting the "magical fire protection system" btw, im gonna have a hint somewhere that if they start a fire the water elemental will pop out of the pipes in the ceiling
>>
>>92566677
If I were to see every character gain expertise, I would prefer it be on a per-class basis. Like it makes more sense for a Wizard to have Arcana expertise than the Cleric with the Sage background, you know?

Clearly signaled ways of giving the players Inspiration is certainly a good thing though, and it helps encourage them to lean into whatever background they picked a bit more.
If anything I'd almost be inclined to say they should get inspiration on a failure, so that they don't feel pressured to take overly specific skills as background skills.
>>
>>92566299
thank you
neat idea
>>
>>92566875
>Like it makes more sense for a Wizard to have Arcana expertise than the Cleric with the Sage background, you know?
no? what if I'm literally an arcana cleric
generalizations of class roles stifles creativity
>>
>>92567114
>what if I'm literally an arcana cleric
Then you get the benefit of Arcana proficiency from your subclass. Why would you be taking Arcana as a background skill?
>>
>>92567163
not the point i was making
>>
>>92566677
But I like being a bard and mogging the party wizard by taking Arcana expertise
>>
>>92567203
Right, your point was that it stifles creativity. But all that means is that instead of using your background skills on something different, you're using them on something your class already gives you instead.
>>
Just finished my first campaign as a DM. I was making shit up and adding OP loot the whole time, the players were smart enough to put together random details and plotlines for a perfect ending and it looked pre-designed. Did I get lucky or is the formula that good?
>>
>>92567699
Probably a bit of both. Can't really say without more specifics though.
>>
>>92567699
To a certain extent, that's the ideal campaign that some people get lost on. Let the players wander, have them encounter various evil plots and threats, build off of their assumptions, speculations, and investigations, and end up discovering who was behind it all.
It does require players who are engaged and proactive, since trying to improvise is harder with players who are quiet or expecting to be spoonfed a plot.
>>
>>92565355
Improvised weapon is all they need, why the fuck is a censer doing more damage than a light hammer? And fuck you for adding spellcasting mod to damage, you know there's a reason you don't do that shit.
>>
>monk 1/fighter x
Would you allow them to use their longsword and still use their bonus action unarmed attack? longswords are just cooler but i also want to be able to punch/kick.
>>
>>92568046
>Would you allow them to use their longsword and still use their bonus action unarmed attack? longswords are just cooler
>When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action
>Dedicated Weapon (Optional)
Also at 2nd level, you train yourself to use a variety of weapons as monk weapons, not just simple melee weapons and shortswords. Whenever you finish a short or long rest, you can touch one weapon, focus your ki on it, and then count that weapon as a monk weapon until you use this feature again.
>The chosen weapon must meet these criteria: The weapon must be a simple or martial weapon. You must be proficient with it. It must lack the heavy and special properties
>>
>>92568046
This >>92568059
2 levels of Monk makes Longswords work with no issues.
That said, it isn't really anything crazy. It depends on what you're trying to do specifically though. Are you trying to make a Monk that uses a longsword? Are you trying to make a Fighter that has better unarmed strikes?
>>
>>92568059
>Also at 2nd level
staying 1 level of monk, no matter what.
>>
>>92568064
Really just wanted a fighter who could do some unarmed fighting on the side, and I didn't want to wear armor it doesn't really jive with the theme i got. The unarmed fighting style is nice but id prefer the BA strike than the 1d6
>>
>>92568069
If you want to play an unarmored fighter and the biggest thing you plan on using is a longsword, you might unironically be better off with Kensei monk.
>>
>>92568086
>Kensei monk.
You're probably right, but I have this weird hatred of Ki and i can't explain why. Kensei looks fun though.
>>
Isn't Aarakocra Monk a match made in heaven?

>+2 DEX +1 WIS, perfect for Monk
>unarmoured defense is ideal for someone who can't use medium or heavy armour
>unarmoured movement stacks with the already impressive 50 feet of flying speed, providing supreme mobility
>deflect missiles and slow fall are incredible features for a flying character
>unarmed strikes can also deal slashing damage, a nice option for the one class who excels at unarmed strikes to begin with
>>
>>92568069
>>92568095
Well, to get back to the original question, I could certainly see a DM agreeing to let you treat a longsword as a monk weapon a level early. Especially if you only wanted to treat it as one for the purpose of the bonus-action attack, rather than getting a finesse longsword.
A finesse longsword might be a harder sell. Not because it's particularly great or anything, but I've seen people get hung up on that sort of thing.

At the end of the day, it's going to be marginally more effective than an ordinary Fighter with a pair of shortswords, and even that's dubious since a level was spent on the multiclass which delays things.
>>
>>92568105
Yes, but you will want to take the stand master subclass to stay out of melee range, or take mobile to disengage without using step of the wind and save ki for flurry of blows
>>
>>92568125
>A finesse longsword might be a harder sell. Not because it's particularly great or anything, but I've seen people get hung up on that sort of thing.
Yeah but with two levels it's RAW
>>
>>92568125
Appreciate the feedback anon. I know its not optimal but I think it'd be fun. I'll probably end up going full Kensei monk since it is closer to what I'd want to do even if I cant do battlemaster stuff.
>>
>>92568137
Well, Mobile has synergy with the flying speed, too. 50+10+whatever the Monk levels gives you?

Then again, Drunken Master can do a lot of the same without the feat investment.
>>
>>92568145
Yeah, which is why a DM might be hesitant to give you a feature that would ordinarily require spending an entire extra level in a class for free.

>>92568153
You could always pick up some Battlemaster maneuvers later on if you ever feel like you've gotten the most out of your Monk features. The class does eventually trail off, and early Fighter features certainly aren't bad to have.
It's just in terms of making an unarmored swordfighter who uses a longsword and makes unarmed strikes, Kensei monk is an obvious fit, and 6-7 levels in Kensei Monk so you can get Extra Attack and just generally have a smooth progression in the early levels is a much easier time than trying to go for an early multiclass.
>>
>>92565172
i've always been a big fan of the artemis bow from ffxiv. it's a bit unwieldy and some of the other "harp bows" are a little silly but it always stood out as a favorite instrument and weapon combo for a bard.
>>
>>92568153
NTA but if you are going kensei, you should really be an archer and use unarmed attacks in a pinch or to help you get out of melee with agile parry
>>
File: 1675789152140346.jpg (67 KB, 1080x1080)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>92568168
I'm probably autistic but after doing some plotting, I think I'll end up going Kensei Monk 3/Battlemaster X, even if that delays my extra attack a ton.
>1d10 + 1d6 BA unarmed attack w unarmed fighting style
>deflect missile/agile parry for defense
>10 additional movement speed
>all the fighter goodies
Not optimal at all, but that definitely fits the feel I'm going for.
>>92568210
>if you are going kensei, you should really be an archer
Fuck ranged attacks. I'll leave that to the casters.
>>
>>92564761
>>92564779
Its a very popular homebrew, something they are aware of. Also I misspoke not immunity, but resistance
>>
>>92568606
>poopular homobrew

Fuck off forever and never come back.
>>
>>92568606
retard
>>
How do you use maps from published adventures for table top? Virtual is easy but do you just draw them onto graphs for table top? Or is there a way to print them onto graph paper at Staples or something?
>>
>>92568745
>Virtual is easy but do you just draw them onto graphs for table top? Or is there a way to print them onto graph paper at Staples or something?
If they're already a grid you can print them direct onto A2-3. Depending on the source you might be better off finding a 3rd party upscale
>>
>>92568745
I have a two-sided foldout grid and copy the map onto it room by room as they explore.
>>
File: 1700270131402065.png (4.43 MB, 1385x2400)
4.43 MB
4.43 MB PNG
What did anon mean by this OP image?
>>
>>92570112
>>92570112
>>92570112
>>
I have an 18 CHA swords bard. Naturally I'm going to dip into hexblade for CHA to attack. My question is this: do I max my charisma out at my next ASI, or take elven accuracy, then inspiring leader?
>>
>>92570125
Feats. You'll do fine with 18 CHA.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.