[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Witches Edition

>Previous thread:
>>92522438

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or peoples' homebrew wargames.
The >>>/tg/hwg thread doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to more specific games.
This thread isn't tied to a game, a publisher, or a genre, let's just talk about fun wargames. Any scale, any company, any miniatures.

>Examples of games that qualify.
A Song of Ice and Fire, Argatoria, Batman Miniature Game, Carnevale, Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings, Deadzone, Dropfleet and Dropzone Commander,
Freebooter's Fate,Frostgrave, Gaslands, Hordes of the Things, Kings of War, Malifaux, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Moonstone, Oathmark, RelicBlade, Rumbleslam,
Stargrave, Sludge, Warcaster, Warmachine, Xenotactics and anything else that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread.

>Examples of companies providing rules for alternative wargames.
Atomic Mass Games, Black Site Studios, CMON, Mantic, OnePageRules, Osprey, Para Bellum, TTCombat, Warlord Games and, many other publishers.

>Places to get minis; Updates to the minis list are welcome.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/373197.page

>The Novice Troves; These troves are meant to serve as a sampler of available systems. Check out the Share Thread for more up-to-date troves.
https://pastebin.com/MjtsC8AX
https://mega.nz/#F!zSYW0I4a!vXh8-UPi_tWXpJES_-p4zg

>TQ
What's your favourite magic system among alternative wargames? Do you even like games with magic?
>>
File: Frostgrave.jpg (1.28 MB, 1600x1008)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>92608725
>>TQ
>What's your favourite magic system among alternative wargames? Do you even like games with magic?

Frostgrave, hands down. I haven't played many AWG games, admittedly, but this one brings the charm of building spell lists to the fore, and its something that makes me nostalgic for schooldays spent ignoring lessons day dreaming about D&D builds.
>>
>>92608897
Frostgrave is the most intuitive Ive played. play it as often as I can, even got some non-TT players to play and enjoy it

>>92608725
Relic Knights was great, unbalanced but great, Speed circuit faction was weak ass but fun to play

Pic unrelated, some lucid eye minis for a Hollow Earth adventure
>>
Has anyone here played warlords of erehwon? How was it and how does it compare to dragon rampant or opr?
>>
>>92609799
Isn't that just fantasy version of Bolt Action?
>>
>>92609799
it's pretty good. not really like those other games though. it's basically intended as a no-bullshit / lessons-learned rewrite of like WHFB 3rd. basically going for what KOW was for 6th-edition kiddies. you probably know if you're that audience. totally different design priorities to the abstract modern of rampant or the vanilla building blocks of opr.
>>
>>92609703
>Speed circuit faction was weak ass
Skill issue
>>
>>92609924
Not at all. If anything, its fantasy hail caesar (which also has nothing to do with BA)
>>
>>92611370
definitely was, considering there was a grand total of 3 players in my country.
A pacer with the oil slick around an objective was always fun
>>
>>92608725
>>TQ
I haven't actually tried it out yet, but Runestar D12 has a card-based system where you kinda generate custom spells, which seems pretty interesting.
>>
>>92611564
Probably more games that me desu. I remember them being super annoying because their second moves were faster than most of my first moves, making them practically untouchable sometimes.
>>
does anyone happen to have a picture of the apex predator model from conquest next to a GW model? preferably next to a lizardmen carnosaur but i'd take anything GW. want to get it for a conversion but i know conquest is a different scale so im not sure how big it actually is, might be too big for my purposes. i know their tontorr thing is unusably massive
>>
File: IMG_20211205_184427__01.jpg (591 KB, 2400x1350)
591 KB
591 KB JPG
>>92612963
Found this one.
>>
I'm in the brainstorming stage for a game and wonder what is your ideal game length? Is it as satisfying to play 3 short games in the same amount of time as 1 long game? Is there a point where you feel like you got a "return on investment" for just setting up terrain and minis and whatever else you need?
>>
File: IMG_20240405_195456_989.jpg (2.28 MB, 4096x2304)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>92614832
Depends on setup I think.
Stuff like rumbleslam is ok to be shorter because it is an easy time investment.
All in all I prefer a game that is too short to one that is too long
>>
>>92614832
For me 1.5 to 2 hours is the sweet spot
>>
Why did people recommend Fear and Faith to me? It's just Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes with tweaked mechanics. I'd love a proper horror skirmish game but this doesn't really feel right at all, more like a reskin. I will allow that I haven't PLAYED it, just read the rules and watched batreps. Am I missing some clever element?
Meanwhile Trench Crusade is coming along well. It might become one of my favorite new systems if it keeps building, nice modern-er mechanics on the classic Mordheim template.
>>
File: 300px-Ugly_Bastard.png (151 KB, 300x507)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>92615245
>mfw I recommend games I have no idea if they're good or not or even games I know are objectively shit
>>
>>92613063
4 hours for skirmish, 6-8 for mass battle. But if the rules allow for mass battle to be played in 4 than I'm fine with that
>>
>>92615245
How did it try to be a horror game? Just horror themes, or did it try to do something mechanical?
>>
>>92617063
Horror themes on top of the existing ASOBAH ruleset, plus a "fear system" that basically adds (punishing) psychological mechanics to the game so characters freak out in horrific circumstances. Otherwise it's just a lot of horror-trope keywords for your DIY scenarios, per the ASOBAH ruleset, along with a couple scenario prompts and an anemic "campaign system"
>>
Do you set up any background music while playing your games?
I'm playing quite a lot of skirmish games lately and run Darktide OST mixes whenever we play Sci-Fi games. I have a hard time to find something fitting for dynamic fantasy combat. Most fantasy music is either too slow and stiff or too frivolous and tavern-like.
>>
>>92618761
Hmm, horror is really hard to do. I think the best way to do it isn't to focus on the "status effects", but to make a high risk, high lethality system, while having a focus on trying to keep your pieces alive to win. Creates the mood by having at any time, you can just lose it all.
>>
Opr released its new quarterly patch. Seems like they updated some core game concepts along with some point shuffling in the army builder app:

>Assaults: Units may shoot at the target of their charge before moving, but if they do, they get -1 to hit when shooting and striking, and halve their movement.

>Shaken: Gets -1 to Quality and Defense rolls, halves its movement, and can’t seize objectives. Shaken units may spend one full activation idle to stop being Shaken.

What do you think?
>>
>>92619198
I play kitchen table to every instance of halving movement turns my stuff almost stationary.
>>
>>92619272

I've thought of a house rule where the default movement rate is 4 inches, slow 3, fast 6 and very fast 8. Would probably be better for fantasy, as theres much less shooting.
>>
File: DSC_0572.jpg (284 KB, 1351x1233)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Anyone know how warlord kits compare to GW? I wanted to use some citadel skulls for undead Romans but I get the feeling it'd be a bobblehead situation
>>
File: wg_romanlegionscale2.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>92619436
Oh nvm
Damn lmao
>>
>pick up new game with local club
>all enjoy it for a few months, it’s amazing
>they just stop playing it and move onto the next fotm
>or go back to bolt action and GW
I love bolt action but how do we even keep AWGs alive, so many of them have fundamental flaws (usually stocking) that just kills interest
>>
File: GACpZCOXgAAjjLB.jpg (451 KB, 2048x1698)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>92619462
>I love bolt action but how do we even keep AWGs alive
You have to trick people into playing AWGs with literal psy-ops tactics.
If they play Bolt Action, try to push them into Konflikt '47.
Are they playing GW games? Good, talk them into giving OPR a chance. It doesn't matter if you think OPR is good or bad - you can roll with better systems later on.
You have to remember, they will never abandon their comfort-zone mainstream games entirely - your goal is to show them alternative wargames are a valid way of having fun ALONGSIDE mainstream slop. If you will try to make them choose between Warhammer and whatever alternative wargame you shill, they will always go with Warhammer.
I managed to start an Argatoria playgroup by pretty much whoring my gf's nerd friend. She's 50kg of pure cuteness and silliness with 5kg of total weight in her rack alone. For some reason she felt overwhelmed by big multipart miniatures but it turned out 10mm and 15mm monopose single-piece minis were totally her jam. We bought her a starter army and an Argatoria t-shirt when they were still in stock. All it took was her bouncing her tits around the LGS with an Argatoria logo slapped on them for two weeks to muster about 8 new players.
>>
>>92619198
im honestly staying away from OPR until they bring those wargear costs down.

trying out grimdark future and building out my squad, a missile launcher costs as much as 3 squad troopers, giving the troopers their secondary weapon option which is free in 40k nearly doubled the cost of the squad. a squad of 10 basic troops fully kitted out was almost like 400 points, it was absurd. made list building feel incredibly painful
>>
>>92619575
Based and pathetic if true
>>
>>92609799
>Has anyone here played warlords of erehwon? How was it and how does it compare to dragon rampant or opr?
Yes. It's really, really good for grabbing a chunk of one of your old armies off the shelf and getting in a game. It's compatible with historical minis and randomly combining whatever you have on the table. Most of the monsters being unreliable allies rather than a straight part of your army is a fun touch. On the down-side it's not the greatest game for building out an army from the ground up. There are a few balance issues, especially that one priest spell that steals initative dice. Having half the army lists and all the errata up on Rick's blog isn't exactly the most sustainable way of keeping the game going, either, and Warlord is.. well, Warlord.

>Rampant
The chit-based initiative system in WoE makes the game more tense overall while feeling less like you're getting dice-fucked, and lists are less generic because they actually have some theming. It's much larger-scale, up more into Clash of Spears territory, while Rampant is a small warband game. WoE actually has light artillery and lets you take low-morale/low-quality troops that aren't an outright liability to your force. In Rampant, those guys spend 80% of the game jacking off in the deployment zone waiting to one day be relevant.

>OPR
Erewhon has more detail and more meaningful decisions to make without getting bogged down too much. WoE also isn't as slavishly devoted to just being Uncluttered Warhammer Fantasy But Slightly Worse, with a lot of small mechanical things I don't like about OPR wrapped up in that statement. And again. WoE lets you take samurai up against ratmen or Cimmerians without having to convince your buddy to let you use a custom list.
>>
>>92619575
Based puppetmaster
>>
>>92619575
Classic AAA move.
Thought about getting merch for the game i'm about to demo myself, but then saw i was just a regular dude and would gain nothing from it. If anything i'd be viewed as a sellout/tool.
>>
>>92619605
I feel not shame. Sometimes people have be tricked into making the right decision. My only regret is the smallest available size was S.
>>
>>92619575
>Want to get nerds interested in your niche nerd game?
>Just get a hot girl interested in your niche nerd game and they will follow her.
I'm not convinced that's an easier problem to solve.
>>
>>92619173
I make a playlist on youtube for each game i invest myself in. I mostly edit what music fits each list though, i've never actually used any of them.
So far i've done: Monpoc, Infinity, Necromunda, Conquest and Argatoria
>>
>>92619697
Mind to share your Conquest and Argatoria playlists?
>>
>>92619748
Had specialized the Conquest one for my own homebrew spire faction, so i'll spare you that one.
But i'll try posting the Argatoria one without doxing myself, it's more skewed for barbarians.
>>
>>92619796
No need to post links. You can simply screenshot a list of titles.
>Had specialized the Conquest one for my own homebrew spire faction, so i'll spare you that one.
Now I want to see it even more.
>>
>>92619748
It's not much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySbdm7-vXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMYwX0AXEO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lojs4PwmOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt1gXhlIgE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnTGWHeldyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdWQdMTbGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyX5EWfasVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfz3oypRfu8

Wish i had some more upbeat stuff. I like to change it up so it doesn't get too much, but this list feels way to mellow. Also wish i had the balls to lean into the corny "he-man" vibe more, feels like that's what the game is aiming for.
>>
File: asd.png (362 KB, 835x822)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>92619829
Here's the Conquest one. Convert and paint my spires in a "dead ocean" theme. Dead corals, desert sands and such. I'll post some pics of them
>>
>>92619959
Had too many pics so i made a collage
>>
>>92619885
>>92619959
NTA but how do you enjoy Argatoria and Conquest so far?
>>
File: Coral wizard.jpg (2.5 MB, 3000x3000)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>92621806
Haven't played argatoria yet, maining conquest currently. But from what i've red of the rules and seen batreps of; i think it's a relaxed and low-effort game that still has some ankle deep crunch if you want. The activation and morale systems are fun and unique.

Conquest is fun as fuck. More so then any other wargame i've played (which granted is not many), it leans into the choices the player makes during battle, instead of leaning heavily on list building. Some factions rely more on list building then others tho. The card/activation system is unique and fun.
>>
City States are one of the most meh factions in Conquest, but ngl, giant face chariots are cool.
>>
>>92623516
I love that the lore behind the use of lions to pull them is "I'm rich, bitch!"
>>
>>92623516
Between this and ASOIAF I've grown to really like this hybrid base design.
>>
>>92623516
>giant face chariots are cool.
Whenever I look at their minis it seems like are a lot of swings but very few hits.
>>
>>92623516
>City States are one of the most meh factions in Conquest
That has to be Nords for me. Just your standard mythological viking faction. That theme is so saturated by media in general.
Meanwhile, i'm glad roman and greek themes can exist side by side and be distinct from another, too often they're homogenized.
>>
>>92623679
I honestly don't understand the point. It feels wrong, but I'm also not too specific about bases, myself. I prefer rounds universally, but wouldn't be made about someone else using squares. Movement trays are cool, but I'm failing to see why you would have a round at all, if they all go in squares anyway.
>>
>>92624142
For me personally I think it's nice for the sake of flexibility with minis agnostic games. Like for ASOIAF I can run a big tray of dudes for its base rank and flank game and just remove them from the tray when they die as usual, but I can also plop out a handful of the guards to use in a Frostgrave warband or another game where rounds are nicer for the sake of measuring and whatnot.
>>
>>92623560
"...They are temperamental animals"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5zMUQE3lg
I adore this scene because you can see Octavian's actor in the foreground desperately trying not to laugh at 25 seconds
>>
File: 1711307782050827.png (130 KB, 500x500)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
whats the best fantasy rule set that's mini agnostic?

what printable minis would you recommend with it?

bonus points if its easy enough for the old lady to get into with me
>>
>>92624284
also, not particularly interested in frostgraves treasure focus
>>
>>92624284
what size / length game you looking for? that's going to affect the answer a bit.

for the last one at least I can recommend xenos rampant (technically scifi but the rampants are abstracted enough it barely matters) from direct experience, since I've played that a bunch with the wife and kid. simple base rules, minimum of special rules to remember, and the unit creation system is self explanatory and readily hackable.
for smaller games I really like ASOBAH a lot. just a fantastic, elegant little system.
>>
>>92613063
'miniatures'
haha even
>>
>>92619462
What was the game?
>>
>>92608725
Sad, relic knights died last month. Officially went bankrupt, stopped shipping orders in Nov of last year. rip, I believed in it to the end. Sorry for those who lost money for the Kickstarter years ago
>>
>>92619688
>maybe 10 years ago at boardgame convention, trying new game
>demo was by girl with large chest
>I go to take a photo of the game, to remember it for later
>She pushes out her chest and says "get the T-shirt in the picture"
Back then, everyone with a game to sell had girlies to demo it.
I can only guess that money changed hands at some point, but actually the girls all played the games pretty well; not quite well enough to beat the new guy who felt good for winning ;-)
>>
>>92624284
I like KoW: Vanguard. Pretty light but lots of depth. Lots of generic fantasy armies. Most beers could put a force together from random RPG minis.
>>
>>92619600
>missile launchers are free in 40k
What the fuck, since when?
>>
>>92626549
Read slower, that post says the secondary weapon option is free in 40k, not the ML.
>>
>>92619600
What a strange take.
>>
>>92619575
Never heard of it before. Sell me on it. The tiny little barbarians look cool and I’ve never messed with 10mm, but is it fun?
>>
File: Group-Photo_comp.jpg (135 KB, 500x312)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
Discuss Rumbleslam. I need help deciding if I'm going to spend $100 on more minis I don't need and probably won't use or not.
>>
>>92627418
Plan to pick up buncha stuff from it soon, myself.
What bands or individuals you picking up?
>>
>>92628000
Just whatever I think looks cool. The dia de Los muertos gang, the Lords of the ring, the cactuar, some of the dwarves, orkishi...
>>
File: T-51.jpg (552 KB, 1536x1536)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
Question for anyone that plays wasteland warfare. I have two point equivalent forces and I'm wondering if the disparity in unit numbers would be a problem. I'm assuming not, because molerats have no real health, same with rad roach swarms. Here's the two lists. I want to keep the survivors as it is if possible, I want it to be a small duo of my fave things, nuka-girl and T-51 power armour.

List Total: 598 caps

Sole Survivor Loner (315 caps)
-Heroic
-Laser Rifle
-T-51 Power Armor
-V.A.T.S. Matrix Overlay
-Aligned Sights
-Nuka-Cherry
-Lone Wanderer
-Rifleman
Nuka-Girl (200 caps)
-Heroic
-Thirst Zapper Cola
-Balanced
-Nuka-Cherry
-Concentrated Fire
Dogmeat (83 caps)
-Dog Bite

VS

List Total: 596 caps

Alien (176 caps)
-Heroic
-Alien Blaster
-Comfort Grip
-Bloody Mess
-Gunslinger
Deathclaw (310 caps)
-Heroic
-Deathclaw Crush
-Deathclaw Swipe
Glowing Radroach Swarm (34 caps)
-Glowing Radroach Swarm Bite
Glowing Radroach Swarm (34 caps)
-Glowing Radroach Swarm Bite
Mole Rat (10 caps)
-Mole Rat Bite
Mole Rat (10 caps)
-Mole Rat Bite
Radroach Swarm (22 caps)
-Radroach Swarm Bite
>>
>>92615241
What in hells name are those soldiers?
>>
>>92630484
Average Turrnip28 models
>>
>>92629059
That sacrificial victim is thicc.
>>
With the new halo wargame I wanted to speak about how there was a time from 2003 to 2016 that a halo wargame would have exploded massively and been a big success. This is a promotional heroclix master chief I repainted and put on a regular base. It looks magnificent. The quality is worse than the new mantic ones but it has the classic art style from bungie.
Its a bit of a shame to finally see a 28mm scale or 32mm scale halo miniatures game come when the serieses popularity is at an all time low. The price isnt awful but it is just skirmish mp based.
The heroclix models moulded a bit better unpainted with normal bases, with real wargame rules woulda done amazing.
>>
Has anybody here actually played Ravaged Star? Painted any minis for it? I'm sure it has an associated game system but it seems to be more trying to cash in on 40k. I never see anyone say anything about it despite the fact that they had a massive booth at Adepticon this year, pic related.
>>
>>92632758
I have lost track of that project. I was kinda hyped for it when it was first announced, but shipping was extremely EU-unfriendly, with shipping costs almost as high as the pack of miniatures i wanted to buy, so i didn't get any.

Are they shipped yet? I saw that they did a 2nd campaign with "not-tyranids" and "space dwarfs", but i wasn't interested in any of those.

I'm still kinda curious how the quality of the final product (i.e. pvc monopose minis) will be. The samples they sent to all those youtubers to create the hype were 3d-printed and not the final versions.
>>
>>92632946
They had some on display at their booth and they looked...fine? At first glance anyways. It's always harder to tell quality without having time to put a brush to them and/or a zenithal coat to bring out any blemishes. Certainly they were a lot higher average quality than the Battletech PVC minis I own anyways, I didn't see any obvious mangles in any of their boxes. They are all pre built and monopose I think though. I don't have any pictures of the boxes, I didn't think to take any while I was there as like I said I never see anybody here talking about it. I was hoping someone here had actually painted some they can provide pictures and average quality first hand.

The boxes seemed reasonably priced at the convention but I honestly am not even sure where you are supposed to buy them online. Do you have to go through their Kickstarter with a late pledge? Their booth was pretty busy and they had two of the large tables like the above so it seems they're doing well. For sure a lot better than Privateer Press, that booth was legitimately depressing.
>>
File: 71rizkwqJ2L.jpg (256 KB, 2000x2000)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
how does one best go about converting SW Shatterpoint's stats into OPR?
I got the shatterpoint core set and I was wondering how I can dumb down/ take apart/convert the stats from shatterpoint so I can use them for grimdark future firefight.

I thought about calculating averages and give the models with two fighting styles different loadouts to choose. some actions like force push I'll probably have to make an army rule.

has anybody ever tried this? what do you think is the best way to do this?
>>
>>92632758
looks like absolute generic slop that's trying to eat into the space marine pie without knowing what made space marines cool in the first place
>>
>>92633035
>They are all pre built and monopose I think though.

They are.
Once they are available from EU stores, i might get a box or two to see the quality first hand.

>Do you have to go through their Kickstarter with a late pledge
Probably, the campaign is on Gamefound tho. But with their shipping rates its not an option for me.
>>
>>92632758
That is 40k Chaos Space Marines Vs Mantic Forgelads Vs one new model line that looks ok if you're into that sort of thing.
I really struggle to believe this can possibly be profitable for companies.
>>
>>92633592
What made Space Marines cool, oh wise one?
>>
Is it worth it to pick up the TOW Bret box for Frostgrave? I'm worried the men at arms will be lacking options, even with champions and such though I don't mind kitbashing a little
>>
>>92635211
The TOW box will be vastly overkill for frostgrave, you're paying too much for too many models for a warband-based skirmish game.
>>
>>92635231
I mean, I want the rulebook and knights for something else, just curious if the peasant kits have much use otherwise
>>
File: 31-45103-scaled.jpg (511 KB, 2560x2558)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>92635251
They mostly come with halberds, but you could probably squeeze enough hand weapons out of the frames for frostgrave purposes (plus the archers of course).

The problem with the men at arms is that because of how their arms are designed, they're a bit difficult to kitbash. Not impossible but not as easy as for kits where the arms and torsos are totally separate.
>>
Got these two cheap tanks for Tonks

Not sure what tanks they are and how crazy to get with them. Might just give them a really jazzy colour scheme
>>
File: IMG_20240427_122325730~2.jpg (1.93 MB, 4000x2294)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>92635350
Ooops
>>
Can you name me some lesser known sci fi miniature games with their own model lines in 25-32mm?
I know a fair few;
wh40k
infinity
warpath/firefight/deadzone
warzoneMC
Vor the maelstrom
Heavy gear
Void 1.1
Urban war
Verge of War

I am looking for some Y2K aesthetic sci fi overall but I will love to look at any. The closest to the aesthetic I am after is void 1.1, but again, any type of sci fi I'd like to look at
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.34 MB, 1239x802)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>92635396
I don't know if it actually had its own game or was just a model range, but Cobalt-1 has some pretty chunky early 2000s sci fi designs. These days you can get the models from Bridge Miniatures
>>
>>92635425
I really like Ygrainne, that is a really unique design, that is just a faction so I am excited to look at the others in that range. The mercs just being space marines is kinda hilarious

That Ygrainne model reminded me of another 28mm sci fi game, it was cyberpunk themed with streetgangs, went weird with a zombie expansion. Had a few cool police and mech models. Websites still up but the company is bust. I will remember the name eventuallly
>>
File: sickmini.png (209 KB, 878x468)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>92635425
these look sick. Cheers on this suggestion
>>
just realised everything on bridge miniatures is out of stock
>>
File: image_1.jpg (117 KB, 960x631)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
For those of you who play Bushido do you guys have suggestions for which starter box I should get for Shiho Clan? I see that the Open Rebellion warband box, Shiho Starter, and Brotherhood box all get me to 100 rice but I'm not sure which one will play best on the table and let me not have to buy too much else. Do the thematic warbands still work if I get Shiho ronin like the Jwar eagles?
>>
File: lovevibeevo.png (1.19 MB, 837x628)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
this is the coolest wargame pic ive seen in forever
>>
>>92635969
IDK about ever. But it is pretty neat. I like the terrain.
>>
>>92633566
Huge apples to oranges problem, OPR is obviously expecting 40k/Mantic/etc. You'd have a much easier time proxying the minis to existing factions. Even then the base size is awkward.
>>
>>92635785
Brotherhood aren't Shiho, they are all ronin models that can work with Hiroto(either one). Open Rebellion gives you all the Tanaka models except Kazuo and the wolf ryoshi that are out soon but the box by itself gives you a full 100 rice warband. The Shiho starter set is about 70 rice and will require you to also buy Keita so you can use his virtue effects to stop your samurai from being crushed. You will likely also want some heimin. One of the themes allows all ronin models for shiho, another allows the birbs. The themes tell you which models are allowed. If you can, there is a companion app you can get that has all the cards, traits, scenarios and errata. It is quite useful.
>>
>>92635396
Rezolution, sci fi gang level skirmisher from the 2008-2010 era. Suits the era aesthetic you're looking for I think.
>>
>>92634811
>I really struggle to believe this can possibly be profitable for companies.

Given the prices of GW, ofc it can.
Besides that, it was a crowdfunded campaign, so they got their money in advance, and they couldn't care less if anyone plays the game afterwards, or continues to buy the miniatures.
>>
>>92635281
For just one Warband that kit would be too much, but in general, its a nice kit with lots of generic options that can be used in a variety of games. I can imagine them as a town guard in an rpg too for example.

To me, these models look more charming that for example the Fireforge Foot Sergeants.
>>
>>92635396
Fallout
>>
>>92635464
Some amazing stuff on this site - all listed "out of stock". Those scifi females are little like the Nuhu from gates of antares. Wonder if it's worth dropping the company an email?
>>
>>92624284
>whats the best fantasy rule set that's mini agnostic?
>bonus points if its easy enough for the old lady to get into with me
Just recommended this in another thread, but Brutality Skirmish is pretty simple, focused, and low model-count. Fluff is a bit edgelordy (Artemis isekais all of history, fantasy, and SF's warriors to fight/eat/hump each other for her amusement, they slowly GO MAD oh noes the angst) but the game is still fun. Lets you run fairly straight fantasy, go a bit more Gothy, or straight-up into Fantasy Capeshit without getting horribly unbalanced the way a lot of universal games do.

My favorite is 7TV, which is meant to be more like a pulpy TV show than anything historical. Simple system, lots of flexibility, and they have a couple slightly different fantasy options (more sword-and-sorcery, or dungeon fantasy). Some of the more random shit like the deck of event cards turns a lot of people off, I find it adds a layer of strategy and spices things up that would otherwise be a lot more stagnant.

>what printable minis would you recommend with it?
Not really my specialty. I have enjoyed a lot of Anvil Industries and Wargames Atlantic's non-digital sculpts though.

>>92635251
>just curious if the peasant kits have much use otherwise
I mean Mordheim/Broheim still exists. They could also be fun in Erewhon or as generic Town Guard in En Garde.
>>
>>92638129
Seconding Rezolution. Love the models, but the game is... Okay. It would be great if they did a new version that was really designed for a skirmish level game.
>>
>>92635350
If you take the turret off the sand-coloured one and put it on the green chassis, it would be a sort-of Tiger (German WW2). See the exhaust pipes & flat frontal armour.
Don't know what you'd have left over
>>
>>92635396
Kryomek (I used to be in love with this stuff, way back when.)
Future Wars
>>
>>92635396
Bot War and related family of games? Although they have a definite 80s vibe.
>>
I love skeletons.
What's your guys favorite game that includes skeletons or a skeleton faction?
>>
>>92624284
Song of Blades & Heroes (Advanced or not) is a breeze to learn and play.
>>
Hobday and Hicks fantasy kickstarter happens in July this year.
>>
>>92641912
>Hobday and Hicks
Who?
>>
Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark or LaserStorm?
>>
>>92641935
Hobday makes historical wargames while Hicks is one of the sculptor giants. They created the Barons War rules and miniature range. They're releasing dwarves, elves, orcs and maybe humans.
>>
File: Orcs-Hobday-Hicks.jpg (308 KB, 1638x2048)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>92642143 >>92642153
Those are some good orcs.
>>
>>
File: The-Wizard-Hobday-Hicks.jpg (150 KB, 2048x2048)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Some more Elves have been previewed but I can't be assed to find it and share it here.
>>
>>92642143
>>92642153
Those are awesome.
>>
>>92642395
Sounds neat. I'll wait for more news.
>>
>>92635350
>>92635367
What the fuck? Left is a Tiger 1 turret on a Sheridan(?) hull. Right is BMP running gear on a Tiger 1 hull and I have no idea what that light tank turret is (looks cold war Japanese though).

For historical purposes both are useless. Kitbash them into something else, considering they already are basically kitbashes.
>>
File: maxresdefault (71).jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>92642706
>>
>>92633566
In the army builder there is a tab for community stuff in OPR
It has a Droid and clone army.
>>
File: 281532.jpg (45 KB, 464x601)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
did anyone play pic related?
Is it compatible with the tabletop wargame?
>>
>>92635086
They were space monks. Not soulless Korean vidya sci fi super soldiers in sleek shiny armour
>>
>>92642132
>>92642143
>>92642153
>>92642386
>>92642395
Wow, these look very much inspired by LOTR/MESBG, even the sculpting style seems incredibly similar. Can't wait to see more
>>
File: tychus-cigar.jpg (70 KB, 900x506)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>92644981
Blow it out your ass, brother Maynard.
>>
File: Viridians-trask.png (5.24 MB, 2000x1500)
5.24 MB
5.24 MB PNG
Void simply fucks, the models hit an itch of 90s anime and y2k sci fi aesthetics
>>
>>92645473
>>
File: MWM-3-1-201.png (184 KB, 700x700)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>92645473
>>92645514
The metals are much nicer than the plastics desu
>>
>>92645538
absolutely, by a lot. Some of the metals are poorly proportioned but are mostly fantastic. I just really dig the interdict marine design because the old rulebook had it on the cover and it looked great painted in white in that cartoony style
>>
File: 1704372034957201.jpg (223 KB, 689x894)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
Is this any good?
>>
>>92643903
>Is it compatible with the tabletop wargame?

It's an expansion for Wasteland Warfare that adds RPG subsystems. The fully-RPG RPG has a blue Vault jumpsuit cover.
>>
>>92646596
Yeah, it's a pretty solid set of rules, you can even port over your SWD6 rpg characters as heroes in this if you were feeling inclined.
>>
Poking the stick. Do something
>>
What's a good intro to hexcrawling? Something solo, and with some sort of combat system more than just a sole dice roll.
>>
>>92647909
>The fully-RPG RPG has a blue Vault jumpsuit cover.

Ah okay, maybe i am mixing things up then.
I assume the "expansion" one i posted would be the one i should get if i want to play wasteland warfare as an rpg-lite then?
>>
>>92649607
>What's a good intro to hexcrawling? Something solo, and with some sort of combat system more than just a sole dice roll.
Sounds like an osr question
>>
File: 1678139070773723.png (483 KB, 597x653)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
>>92649690
Hexcrawls don't need to be old school games? That's like saying any game that uses dice is OSR because dice are old.
>>
>>92649743
OSR invented hexagons.
I don't see how it's even slightly an /awg/ question anyway.
>>
>>92649773
>OSR invented hexagons.
My brother in christ, the bees invented them.
>>
>>92649786
Bees are OSR.
>>92649743
I get what you're saying. But I don't think I've seen a hex crawling wargame in my 20+ years is nerddom. They're pretty much exclusively RPG stuff.
>>
>>92645538
Its always the case with those early-plastic-era.
>>
>>92625404
cheers anon, I was really looking forward for that one
>>
File: 1693650160003564.jpg (223 KB, 900x600)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
Do you guys think we'll ever get a remake of the land version of Dystopian Wars?
>>
>>92649607
Hex and chit wargames aren't really hexcrawls (you're not adventuring with a party in a wargame), but I suppose a campaign map can have hexes and hex movement. /awg/ hex and chit games are also really rare so there aren't really any good entry level ones I know of
>>
>>92649933
Ogre is pretty entry level, I think.
>>
>>92649926
Wasn't it announced some months ago that it was in the works?
>>
>>92638129
>>92639385
Yes Rezolution is one I was forgetting>>92635455
This was what I was trying to remember here. Love the website and that the game had a soundtrack you can buy to listen to as you play. Very cool cyberpunk look and some starter gangs are avaliable if you look hard. Its on my list.
Its more gritty cyberpunk than the y2k look I am really after but as I say, i like it more than enough to buy some at some point. The games history is intresting too
>>
>>92650687
>The games history is intresting too
The game itself or the history in the setting?
>>
File: 20240404_223533.jpg (950 KB, 2921x2921)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
>>92640460
I bought a box of these skellies to play OPR Skirmish. They are simply lovely.
>>
File: rotsminiature.png (1.01 MB, 1556x870)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
I think its crazy how many franchises had a big shot at miniature wargaming market share but made some big mistakes, halo and star wars are the big ones. The halo miniatures game actually has some good sculpts in it, some great selection of characters and models, and played well. BUT it was pre painted and clearly marketed to young kids. Which makes sense, but if they took the risk of aiming these to adults, and young kids, making them unpainted in the box and allowing you to buy units not in lootboxes, in may have had a shot at something. The pre painted look is abysmal.
It's the same with HALOclix, if the models were unpainted, and had no clix gimmick, it may have done great. It did alright, in the niche of clix fans and some casuals just collecting them because its little halo models.
Legion and Shatterpoint are pretty big games, but came at a time where faith in the franchise is at an all time low. Same with the halo wargame. Imagine legion circa 2005
>>
>>92651828
What halo game do you think was prepainted?
Ground command, fleet battles and even the new cancer are unpainted.
>>
>>92652950
this one, halo actionclix. You can see my master chief and thus the potential it had when it launched after halo 3 and into reach
>>92632236
>>
OLD models just hit fucking DIFFERENT show me a modern model that vibes this hard
>>
>>92653395
unironically looks like slop
>>
A bit random but does anyone remember that one stl kickstarter that started a couple years back for an AI necro machine army? It was called harbingers of something and had names for models like Emissary unit 05 or combat unit 02. The Kickstarter had its own lore for each set of models about how the machines sanitize planets but before they do they send down Emissary units to tell the planet they were fucked. Made a big deal about being harbingers of doom, being Eldritch and maybe HR Giger inspired. The minis looked very 30k automata style with some combat units looking like those mantis vorax in proportions. Any help is appreciated anons.
>>
>>92653739
I believe it had its own ruleset too.
>>
>>92653739
It almost sounds like one of bLUARt's projects, since they do a fuckload of Giger-style biomechanical horrors with similar sounding names. I also know some of his projects are grouped into OPR armies which might be what you're thinking of for having its own ruleset.
>>
>>92653831
I know they are solidly automata no organic parts
>>
>>92653831
Your example is very close though.
>>
File: IMG_20240429_194418_364~2.jpg (279 KB, 1589x1122)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>be miniatures company
>Make fun and detailed sculpts from polystyrene
>Models are light, durable and cut in such a way that most mouldlines are hidden while assembling
>Strong because plastic glue
Make "luxury" special edition model
>Vinyl
>Heavy
>Super glue breaks from small slick connection points
>Pre assembled by child worker. Gaps and mouldlines everywhere.
>Mouldlines impossible to remove because of shitty vinyl material
What was Wyrd thinking?
>>
>units have 2 activations (move, shoot, melee, interact)
>units move 3 inches
>guns are either 6,12,18 or 24 inches
>hits are determined by their hit value i.e 4+ then modifiers such as shooting into cover, shooting into armor/heavy armour
>weapons do damage 1-4
>some weapons can shoot a target twice
>units have abilities
why do you need much more?
>>
>>92654149
ADHD and autism.
>>
>>92653963
>luxury
Literally no one has ever said this
>>
>>92654391
eh, they lean into bespoke but not quite as far as some retarded companies that charge 100 quid for 6 guys. Not him btw
>>
>>92654405
It's more fomo limited time thing than luxury.
>>
>>92653963
"what was wyrd thinking?" kind of sums up their entire arc from the time they launched the 2nd ed of malifaux. it's been downhill pretty continuously.

>>92654149
try writing an actual ruleset and then come back and talk about this. rules sprawl happens *very* organically, and the battle to keep things simple and elegant while you're developing is a constant one.
>>
File: damned1.jpg (43 KB, 746x850)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
WGA is showing off the silhouettes for the "Damned" vehicle, after they had a poll how people would like to re-do the concept art for that truck they showed off earlier in the campaign.

So far, they only showed those, and while its not much, it seems to become a versatile kit.
>>
File: combo.png (125 KB, 765x767)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
I am trying to make a miniatures battle game inspired by Dragonball Z. It has characters with moves in their load-outs, they choose a move, it costs energy and perform it.
The moves are quite technical, and have steps where an opponent can use an interrupt ability of several kinds, such as an instant teleport behind the enemy, cancelling the attack at whichever step it got too.
I am not sure how to portray the moves. I need it to be easy to understand, whilst having clear interrupt windows. Because of the interruptions, the explanations have to be quite detailed on where the models are at what point.
How would you go about it, or have I done an good job in this example?
>>
>>92654820
*4. deal 20 damage to the target and any opponents within the 2 squares to the left and right of the target
>>
>>92653963
The sculpts for 2E and 3E Zoraida are so good that I don't see the point of the alternate version. Same with Jedza and her alt sculpt which is pretty generic looking when her actual crew looks great.
>>
File: 4044-AltZoraida1.jpg (63 KB, 446x687)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>92654874
Saggy knee slapper cauldron Zorida best Zorida
>>
>>92654667
The silhouette makes me hopeful and it is a step up from the previous one but it looks too cartoonish.
>>
File: Skeleton.jpg (138 KB, 1161x2048)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>92654874
I like the skeleton king
>>
>>92655375
fuck wrong thread lol
>>
>>92655375
Neither, cards and nicotine both give you cancer.
>>
threads never been so dead as today
>>
>>92655446
Everyone is off having fun without you
>>
>>92649607
are you looking for games like Barbarian, Star Smuggler & the Drifter?
maybe like Melee/Wizard/Death Test and the related solo adventures?
>>
>>92654149
Because it is fucking gay.
It's time to embrace rules maximalism.
>>
>>92654874
that's a general problem with the alt sculpts for me, part of what drew me to Malifaux is the setting/period, so in most cases I just prefer the normal crew (even though most alts are really cool).
I do like the more in-setting alt sculpts though, like the dark circus and the McCabe alts.
>>
>>92655778
I definitely agree. Dark Circus fits the rest of the keyword. Angelica is an ex-carnival barker after all, and Carlos makes more sense in a circus. McCabe's nightmare crew is plausible too. On the other end you have the sea-monster Nekima crew which looks fine, but doesn't fit with the rest of the Nephilim keyword at all. The MLP nightmare Ulix is hated enough that I don't need to say more.
>>
>>92655937
I like it when they make an effort to fit the nightmare crew into the setting even if it's a bit weird, Pirate Molly for instance.
>>
>>92655958
I liked Pirate Molly's Penny Dreadful adventure.
>>
>>92655958
>>92656028
for the molly alt crew I'm still amazed they didn't go with the explanation of there being a breach somewhere in the bermuda triangle. That would work so well.

What I think would be cool as a future crew is an order of hashshashins (remnant) as alt models for Misaki and last blossom
>>
>>92654505
Fair. The fact that I could get hold of a fomo box from 2021 for half price should have been a clue
>>
>>92654874
Is there any page that has pictures of all of their old models? Like a wiki or something?
>>
Put this thread down. Its fucking dead.
>>
>>92660410
>>92655446
lmao he just keeps jamming f5 waiting for dopamine
its an image board you dummy
chill the fuck out, go play some games, come back with something to say
>>
Is Argatoria any good? What's to recommend it over say, Warmaster?
>>
So apparently a local guy bought a bunch of Carnevale stuff and wants to run demos. Is it actually any good as a game? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
>>
File: five parsecs.png (909 KB, 666x1001)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
Been thinking about giving solo play games a go recently. Most likely gonna go with pic related, but I was wondering if anyone else had any reccomendations for something different/better? I'd still want to stick to sci-fi as that's most of the minis I own. I know of Space Station Zero as well.
>>
>>92660696
Ive posted loads of engaging things, people rarely reply
Thread went 10 hours and got about 4 replies. Its slower than some forums.
>>
>>92661782
I found 5 Parsecs is the best at generating random scenarios. The actual battles are a bit simple for my tastes, but it's easy to add rules, or even play them with a different ruleset altogether.
>>
i wanted to get the this is not a test peacekeeper models but theyre sold out,where can i get the official minis apart from the official store?
>>
>>92662668
iirc they only made a fairly limited stock for kickstarter purposes and they've been sold out for years now
>>
>>92661782
I like it.
Fallout Wasteland Warfare soli is also great if you like that setting.
>>
>>92657618
I don't think so.
That would be cool, but I don't think anyone has committed their autismo to it.
>>
>>92661352
I think it is. It does require a densely vertical board due to so much of the movement being based around climbing and jumping, but their MDF terrain is designed for it. The sculpts are mostly good (the single piece models aren't as good as the multipiece ones in general), but the models are made out of the devil's resin. Hydrophobic, sometimes full of holes, brittle but also sometimes bent out of shape. At least the boiling water trick works so you can unbend it, but it's still pretty bad as far as materials to make minis out of goes.
>>
>>92663713
>the devil's resin
Ah fuck, I knew there had to be a catch. Great. At least they're not my models for the demo game.
>>
>>92663872
nta Assuming it is the same as the other TT stuff, I've had a couple of models from them (Rumbleslam i think), they were fine - wash thoroughly, prime optimally (temperature, humidity etc) and it takes paint normally.

>>92661826
>Ive posted loads of engaging things, people rarely reply
The power of introspection.
>>
>>92661826
>Gotta go fast
Try a different hobby or a new medication.
>>
>>92661826
Sometimes people just don't want to post, anon, and sometimes people are interested in different things from you.
>>
>>92664698
Yeah, I don't interact with most of the games talked about here. OPR, Conquest, Warmawhatever, that Fallout game, and a bunch of others aren't interesting to me, so I don't engage with them at all. I assume most people here are similar.
>>
Anyone has the firefight army list for the forge fathers and plague, an anon a thread or two ago posted a third of it but was missing the other factions.

Also here’s my enforcers( nova shock peacekeepers are still Wip.)
>>
File: IMG_8402.jpg (3.29 MB, 4032x3024)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>92665756
Damn forgot to post pic
>>
>>92665772
oh you got the big boys, id like to see them finished, they looked cool.
People kinda hate on enforcers but I think they make really good generic sci fi troops but the slimmer guys also make good cyberpunk elite soldiers
>>
>>92661826
People rarely reply because this is a slow board, in a slow thread, about games that are not popular enough among the posters base to support a dedicated thread. Add into the mix that not every poster is going to interested or inclined to respond to you and you get ultra slow threads like this.
>>
>>92665872
I've been here on and off for almost a decade, the thread gets slower every year like Biden. 4 years ago this thread was much faster. One issue is games that cant support a thread because they are so fucking slow get their own threads, another is that this website is having a slow death as twitter becomes more relevant and allows you to remain mostly anonymous
>>
>>92662877
Fallout WW has a solo ruleset? Never played it but I was thinking of getting some minis to paint
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.24 MB, 2560x1440)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>92661782
i find that it's best played on tabletop simulator since battles tend to be slightly shorter (not always) and it's easier to setup/takedown terrain pieces
i took someone else's 12" tileset and made a bunch of single-piece mats because i got tired of rearranging the pieces every campaign turn. i still like placing the buildings and whatnot manually for the sake of variety.
all in all, it's pretty fun with the potential for tons of mission variety. the rulebook itself is arranged somewhat poorly though.
>>
>>92668286
Yes.
They even sell solo scenarios, but i have yet to find them for free somewhere

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/the-unexpected-shepherd-solo-roleplaying-in-the-wasteland-introduction
>>
>>92661782
I like 5 Parsecs from Home quite a bit, but I do agree with >>92662230
who says >The actual battles are a bit simple for my tastes, but it's easy to add rules, or even play them with a different ruleset altogether.

Space Station Zero has great art but I've heard from multiple people that the campaign is simply dreadfully lacking in quality. Like it wasn't playtested.
>>
File: 9781472860040.jpg (83 KB, 568x766)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>92661782
After thinking about it for a hot minute, I've heard good things about Space Weirdos but I have never tried it myself. It is also relatively cheap if you want to go that route.

Anyway, anyone tried or have thoughts on pic related? I like Patrick Todoroff's take on making a wargame with RPG elements and RPG stats based on the character's wargaming stats. But that is as far as I've gotten reading the book.
>>
>>92665756
Another anon posted the full rules and army lists in the same thread iirc. But might have been vola and gone by now.
>>
File: MWM-3-1-917-0.png (2.45 MB, 1500x1500)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
I have price delusion, when Ive looked at something too long I cant work out if its good value.
How would you price this starter box, it has 2 metal leaders, 20vs30 (50) miniatures, a rulebook, campaign book, templates and counters and dice.
>>
>>92671512
In 2024? 60-70€, similar how the Fallout Wasteland Warfare Starter Set is priced.
>>
>>92671522
>Fallout Wasteland Warfare
how many models come in that? I do not disagree, the quality is probably better and the sculpts are way more diverse. The void one is £65 so in the middle of what you said. Next month I'll probably buy it.
Some times I need another opinion or two, because I get so caught up in it I cant see the value anymore.

I always compare it to Warhammer 40k, and in my head a starter army is £65 for 12-40 models. Then I realise my head is 5 years out of date and the price is now £95 for that.
I like the idea of the void models, the lore is really engaging but they make great generic mooks too
>>
>>92671522
Fallout starter is 13 models.
>>
>>92671624
13 vs 52 is rough comparison
>>
>>92671554
Do you think its worth more or less now with the idea of 13 vs 52 minis?
>>
>>92671512
It is good value if you're in the UK and if you want to play the game. Slightly less so if it's just the models for use in other stuff. They're cool though. Got a couple of sprues of the Viridians when Scotia Grendel was selling off the old stock.
More than slightly less so outside the UK

Scoxit when? Asking for Alternative Armies too.
>>
>>92671624
13 unique sculpts vs 50 decades old plastic sculpts worth 5€ at most.
If you go for sheer numbers, sure it looks nice. But dont get tricked into thinking these are good minis.
>>
>>92671813
scoxit would destroy my will to ever send money up north due to the import lol. So anywho, I am into the game, but chances are I wont get to play it so would use them for something else.
Have you got any painted up? I have some metal ones but no plastic yet. They look just perfect to me despite obvious... imperfections
>>
>>92671827
>decades old plastic sculpts worth 5€ at most
5 dollars for how many? because I would imploy the increasingly out of date 1 dollar per mini cause here and say its at least £50 not including other materials.
Okay I admit they are a bit samey and old, there's a few "poses" in there. So 75p a mini would still be around £40
>>
>>92671857
>So 75p a mini would still be around £40

How much is a Victrix mini in the UK?
These are superior, and probably cheaper than 0,75GBP.
>>
File: IMG_20170131_174228_1.jpg (20 KB, 320x244)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>92672019
victrix models are fantastic. Maybe the best models in the business, and amazing value. In comparison, the void set comes with lots of rules, materials, and unique lore to fill out the cost.
If victrix was the comparison for everything nothing would be good value. I do think these models are better than you are giving credit though, very usable
>>
>>92671845
>Asks if minis are painted that were bought just three or four years ago
???
Anyhow, if you like their look (I do too), go for it. Makes no sense to compare with even cheaper plastic here or there, if that Void package speaks to you, and those others not so much.
>>
>>92672133
haha so no paintjob then. Yeah I like em, think the price is fair so I should buy them. Ill only have infantry for a long time though since I have a squad of each army in metal already
>>
to the fallout wasteland warfare anon who was here last thread,where can i find the core and new vegas rules online? also are there any communities who play it on tts? id like to try it on there
>>
Are there any decent systems for long term modern campaign wargames?
I'd like to do a RPG style campaign with the crew involving the collapse of a nation state into anarchy with fights ranging from strike squad spec ops action to slugging it out with moderately sized armies, while also having some systems to force them to actually save troops/resources.

Is this even possible by bolting a few systems together?
>>
>>92665878
link plz. Legit, if there's a better conversation about AWGs on twitter somewhere, I can't find it and I want in. I haven't found anywhere much less shitty, only different shitty, than this thread.
>>
>>92673202
He probably means Discord because you sure as fuck aren't having persistent, meaningful conversations on Twitter.
>>
>>92672727
Might be more of a question for hwg.
I think Oathmark has a campaign system. And there is Mighty Empires for WHFB. But I find think either of those would apply well to modern.
>>
>>92672727
Nordic Weasel has Not Just A Brushwar which is a sort of generic system for creating a campaign framework for shit going down in a 3rd world shithole. You can then pair it with your wargame(s) of choice for the actual fighting parts. Probably something like Spectre Operations, AK47 Republic and/or Force on Force based on your requirements. FoF also has its own campaign system built in
>>
>>92672727
You could ask around and see if there is anything in Witch Doctors and War Crimes you could use.
>>
What is wrong with me. I find obscure nobody knows about games, and I get giddy. Excited, I absorb the lore, I pour over the few pictures of the models. I scan 2nd hand stores.
I put together a list of models I want.
Why?
Nobody will ever play it.
My brain gets dopamine by doing shit that makes me alone or something.
Still, the models and lores are fantastic.
And I usually never buy because I am broke. But its all in a cart
>>
>>92673960
Yeah this happens to me pretty often. I was starting together some demo lists for Sludge and then realized that by the time I'd be done with anything, I'm left with a bunch of multi-based units that only really work with a wargame no one plays.
>>
>>92673980
Yeah, I am sure we have both gone past that point of trying to get people to try them as well, nobody else gets very excited about no name games from 15 years ago.
I think about making a blog but, no one really reads new blogs lol
>>
>>92672127
Dont get me wrong Anon, i'm not trying to say that this set is bad or anything. Its just that my focus when looking at it would be the rulebook, the metal minis and the tokens etc, and not the 50 plastics, which are the least "valuable" thing in this set.
100% you can do some cool conversions with them, or just paint them up nicely as they are. But if all you want is a bulk of cheap plastics, other companies have you covered i guess.

That said, for a 2player starter set, 65 pounds is not a horrible price given how expensive things are these days. A starter set below 80 is almost always a "good deal" in my eyes if it comes with all the required rules and if i want to play that game.
>>
>>92672686
I picked up in a video about the game that they are having some kind of subscription based app, which includes all rules and cards i believe?
>>
>>92673980
I try to model for multiple skirmish games, generic dudesmen etc.

Its why all the crosses and such in silver bayonet annoy me, take those out and the guys could do historical double duty or some alternate history.
>>
>>92674728
when alternative history wargames with barely any uniqueness to standard mooks happen it annoys me so bad. Just use an existing historical line and sculpt your unique aspects separately come on.
>>
>>92662230
>>92669334
How easy would you say it is to use play with different rules for battles with 5 parsecs? Specifically will it be tricky to translate your crew's combat stats in parsecs to another game?

Also are there any particular other rulesets you think would work well to replace parsecs' combat?
>>
>>92673960
Me with Anima Tactics, at least with most awgs (Warmachine, Rumbleslam, MCP) I can easily find players who'd be interested. This game is so niche in appeal that even having plethora of models don't help getting anyone from playgroup wanting to play it.
>>
>>92674932
I'd play if you are in the south of UK, I have always been intrigued by the game
>>
>>92674967
Nah, in Florida. Still nice to hear someone other than me has abit of an Anima obsession, most of the interest for the series is in the very jank games and jokingly self-depreciating PnP community that constantly discourages people from playing it.

Also it's kinda nice that there's a recaster on ebay who been slowly printing out armies. It's how I was able to get most of my Church forces filled out.
>>
>>92675009
can you link the ebay, it would be nice to get the models for a decent price at good availability even if I have to pay oversees shipping Id save money still
>>
>>92675093
shizaspam, though I doubt anyone's going to find the prices to be cheap given /awg/ is /awg/. Granted it is vastly cheaper than buying the original pewter ones piece by piece, or buying the starter boxes.
>>
>>92675125
eh, its niche and a whole army. The shipping is really reasonable at 14 bucks. If anima ever gets a brain worm in me I know where to look
>>
>>92608725
help me find a good gothic horror setting, I want to do small skirmish stuff with a warband from either napoleonic/late 19th using perry stuff, looked at silver bayonet and dreadnights but neither scratched the customisation itch.
>>
>>92675159
It's several actually. The Samael and Steampunk ones are basically army+few extra options while Church one is 2-3 armies worth. You're typically running 5-6 units, sometimes less, and rarely more.
>>
>>92675165
Dracula's America?
>>
>>92675165
I remember years ago hearing quite a lot about a game called Chaos in Carpathia, dunno how good it is but you can apparently still get the rules on drivethrurpg
>>
>>92675165
Flintloque. >>92675851 too.
It's weird there's 4 options for such a specific thing.
>>
Can I shill here?
I am so fucking hype to try Torch and Shield and I want it to succeed.
Its like hero quest meets mordheim
>>
>>92675956
unless it is gonna give me the tiles/terrain for moduar, height variance gaming I don't know why id go for it. But you can go off on how good it is it may change my mind
>>
>>92608725
So me and a friend are looking to get into a game that we can both like. We don't want a game where you play a bunch of pre-named/made characters like in Bushido and Star Wars. Any recommendations?
Frostgrave was fun, but with just 2 of us, it makes for one warband just becoming the winner after 2 or 3 wins and me losing 3 times in a row.
>>
>>92676124
settting? vibe?
>>
>>92676124
Thoughts on Mantic's skirmish games?
>>
>>92676020
>tiles/terrain for moduar, height variance
they actually make a small blurb about it in the rules about house ruling varying height. And considering heroquest was an inspiration and the kellars keep it might be something they look into but thats not really anything in stone
>>
>>92676355
Not tried them - Unless you mean Kings of War? We didn't enjoy the full scale Kings of War.

>>92676200
Any setting really is worth us looking into. Vibe? We prefer stuff that lets us build characters for our own stories.
>>
>>92676382
for fantasy skirmishes, kings of war vanguard is surprisingly robust
>>
>>92676124
Could always try co-op with Rangers of Shadow Deep. If you've already got Frostgrave stuff, you should be able to do Rangers no problem.
>>
>>92676355
I like vanguard.
>>
>>92661826
You dense motherfucker. I went through the whole thread and these are the only one with no replies that weren't already part of a discussion.
>>92635493
>>92642073
>>92649430
That's it. So fuck off to twitter or discord so you can get your upboat yummies.
4 years ago this general and all online activity on the entire fucking planet spiked temporarily because everyone decided to trap themselves inside. You idiot. That was never going to maintain.
If people aren't responding to your posts its because your posts are lame. Unfuck yourself to the point you don't just spam
>the thread is dead because no one is giving me constant entertainment!
If you're so bored, contribute. Run a game and do a battle report. Read a ruleset and break it down. Paint some models. Shoot yourself. There's lots of options, all of them better than whatever you're on.
>>
>>92674761
5 Parsecs profiles are very simple. If anything after playing for a while you'll give them character beyond their profile, which will inform how you rebuild them for another system.
Translating dudes between games - any games - is generally easy for solo because you can do a shitty job and it won't matter. Your solo game doesn't need to be balanced or fit my stupid ideas on what makes for a good game. Add pinning mechanics. Add hit locations and injury tables. Change everything to use d12s. Use I Ching to determine activation order. Roll scatter for every missed shot. Measure distances for a hyperbolic rather than euclidean space. Mark damage by spraying models with red paint or poking them with a soldering iron. Track damage caused by your cat walking across the table.
Don't ask me how to change 5PFH to suit you, because that wasn't my point at all. The game is a great starting point, so start there. But you don't have to stop there.
>>
>>92674761
play it and find out for yourself
i personally find that its combat system's complexity is good enough
it is not a multiplayer wargame where there's a clear delineation between "your turn" and "their turn" where you get to wait and observe half the time -- you're actively playing the entire time and it's surprisingly easy to lose track of what you were doing
adding more rules would honestly make it tedious to play
>>
can i start playing fallout wasteland warfare with just the t-45 plastic 3 man kit?
>>
>>92678708
Check the rules out before buying a model kit, perhaps?
>>
>>92678824
can i find the full rules for free then?
>>
>>92676355
Deadzone is pretty much the perfect skirmisher. Lean gameplay that develops quickly due to the grid, with enough granularity and options at least for midterm engagement. (Longterm it might get stale - can't say.)
>>
>>92679102
I dunno, can you? They're currently in the new vola if you can figure out that.
>>
>>92676355
deadzone is definitely good, although I wouldn't be quite as vociferous as the other anon. it's a crunchy, kind of heavy skirmisher that takes a decent chunk of time to play for the game size. it's good, definitely worthwhile, just something to be aware of.
>>
>>92679102
The rules are literally free on their website Anon:
https://www.modiphius.net/products/fallout-wasteland-warfare-rule-of-play-pdf
>>
Northstar were quick to bring out female scavengers. But are there any rumours of when frostgrave cultists II are coming?
>>
>>92679608
Are you referring to 1st edition by any chance? Because with 2nd/3rd I definitely can't see the heavy and the crunch. It really hits the sweet spot for me in terms of streamlining, while still giving the player room to explore.
Eyes are on the table, not in the rule book - that is my criterion for "lean", and DZ does give me that experience.
>>
>>92679837
They were announced for 2024.
So hopefully they are one of the next sets.
They said the Scavengers were their best selling Stargrave set, so it makes sense to push the females a bit i guess. But then, i expect the FG Cultists to be extremely popular too.
>>
>>92677050
>>92676398
>>92676382
>>92676355
>>92676200
>>92676124
Thanks for the suggestions - Turns out she was just trying to get me to go play Battletech again despite my misgivings over... Everyone has access to everything so there is no faction identity.
>>
Played Planet28 for the first time today and it's the first time a non-Rogue Trader skirmish game has had me even remotely interested.

There are a few stand-out features of the game:

- Roll-Under: You are always trying to roll-under the relevant statistic (of six) on a D10
- Hold and Counter: Characters may choose to hold an action until later in the turn sequence, and characters that are attacked who haven’t yet acted always have an opportunity to fight back.
- Damage and Armour: Damage rolls are fun RPG-style – 2D12+3, etc. and yield big numbers – and armour rather than being a flat ‘save’, is another roll which negates that – such as the 1D8+4 value of ballistic armour.
>>
>>92681920
I hated it. I don't like roll under or using lots of different dice, and between cheap armour and everyone having 20 wounds no one really got hurt.
>>
>>92681966

Interesting. I wasn't convinced about roll-under until I tried Renegade Scout, where they pointed out that basically all the classic GW game dice rolls are effectively roll-under and I've slowly come around.

As for different dice, I find it enjoyable after a steady diet of D6-based games for the last few years.

I found that 20 wounds wasn't a big issue either - particularly because you need to take a break test at 50% wounds and your Psyche value is typically low.

You can't buy good weapons, good armour, and good stats for all your people at the recommended game size of 500pts so something's got to give somewhere. If you kitted everyone out in power armour and max Psyche then I could see your point.
>>
>>92681455
>Everyone has access to everything so there is no faction identity.
Technically, but in practice most players don't make the same mutt list for every faction because they do have their own different mechs.
>>
>>92682030
>You can't buy good weapons, good armour, and good stats for all your people at the recommended game size of 500pts
It's been a while but I remember armour being relatively cheap, particularly as weapons have to pay for both power and range.
>>
>>92673220
>> if there's a better conversation about AWGs ... somewhere
> He probably means Discord
open question then, are there any good AWG discords? Again, links. Every one I found has the same anons from this thread with the same tired shitposting.
Or any other platform. Where are people having good conversations about playing AWGs, posting bat reps, debating rules?
>>
>>92683638
Your local FLGS probably has a discord. That would be a good place to check.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.