[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sneed.jpg (45 KB, 1024x538)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Thoughts? Assuming the subscription costs don't matter.
>>
>>969357
>Assuming the subscription costs don't matter.
Try both and pick the one you like
>>
>>969357
Both can be obtained for free.
Both can do it.

You can either use Maya and be taken seriously for job applications if you choose.

You can use blender and be seen as a hobbyist that uses an app that has no live symmetry still. That may fuck your modeling up.

Good luck.
>>
>>969357
just try both and see which one you like, one big difference between them seems to be: maya uses menus: blender uses more shortcuts

>>969365
theres plenty of jobs in 3d animation/games with blender, stop being a jew
>>
>>970184
>theres plenty of jobs in 3d animation/games with blender

should we tell him?
>>
>>969357
For modelling? Either. But max above both in that regard.
>>
>>970185
>theres plenty of jobs in 3d animation/games

should we tell him?
>>
>>969357
The last straw mayafags cling to is muh jobs, but as a tool Blender is just ridiculously good and businesses are taking notice (fucking finally).
I work only in Blender, and I have worked in four companies which used Blender (3 used Blender and Maya, 1 used only Blender exclusively).
I haven't touched Maya in years.
>>
>>970205
>I have worked in four companies
Looks like the companies that hire you and your Blender shut down one after the other. I wonder why.
>>
>>970205
>Blender modelling job
Jesus
>>
>>970205
i used to be a software elitist but then i realised im not an entire studio working on a million dollar ip and having an unnecessarily complicated pipeline is only something that should be used when working in a team
the reality is that only the end result matters and using dozens of software just end up slowling you down for minimal gain in quality (if not sometimes making it worse)
these days i try to limit my workflow to blender and after effects and only use other 3d packages if needed
trust me you get a lot more projects done, it feels more rewarding and you end up making actual progress in your art
i feel like a lot of industry standard people are just fresh college grads with a shitty portfolio who are trying to cope by using the fact their workflow is industry friendly
>>
>>970506
>these days i try to limit my workflow to blender and after effects and only use other 3d packages if needed
sounds like you make still props and still architecture, nothing worth viewing
>>
>>969357
They are totally different, for example Maya doesn't have that thing that blender users call topology, if you like that old way to make 3d art you may prefer blender, but i like my topology free 3d models so Maya is the best for me
>>
>>970186
Max is a dead software, not even my dad remembers it
>>
>>969357
Maya is way easier, there a 10 different ways to do the same thing in Maya, and you can do which ever makes the most sense to you.
>>
>>970530
nothing i said here is false so you're making up straws to grasp at
>>
>>970536
so you make still models in blender then
>>
>>970543
No, I use Maya, because it doesn't have topology.
>>
Model in Blender, animate in Maya.
>>
>>971264
Model in Zbrush sculpt in Maya retopo in blender and render in mudbox
>>
>>969357
Don't use blender because all the shills are making money off you, the viewer.
>>
>>970614
I recently start using Maya, and what the fuck does that even mean? is it nurbs? auto retopology? please explain
>>
>>971313
maya doest use topology native, i think you can use topology if you want but its unnecessary
>>
>>971414
>maya doest use topology native
what does that even mean?
>>
>>971439
Its a forced meme
>>
If you want to be a forever hobbyist and be fucked over by the noob blender bros then go ahead and waste your time with Blender. Otherwise, Maya
>>
>>971269
Nice india workflow you have there
>>
>>971447
A workflow without sculpt, manual retopo and some geonodes is not a modern workflow. It's just not industry standard.
>>
>>970195
> should we tell him?
Should we tell him?
>>
>>971441
Stop messing with the guy dude.
>>971439
Yes Maya doesn't need topology, but you can use it if you are used to model that way in blender or those old 3d software.
For me is 0 topology so I don't know much about it
>>
>>971463
No, it's a secret.
>>971441
You don't know anything about Maya. Post workflow
>>
>>971441
ah I see, so basically Maya fags are getting desperate that they invented literally nothing burger feature each time someone compared Maya to other software...
>>
WTF is a "0 topology" or "no topology"? How does it looks, can someone post a screenshot? And why that autist says only Maya has it?
>>
>>971566
So you don't use Maya but you know everything that can do?
Ok, I see...
No topology has been on Maya for years you insecure blender user
>>
>>971582
>No topology
Is it nurbs you call a "no topology", degenerate?
>>
>>971594
Are you really that dense? I am not talking about nurbs. I am talking about Maya's no topology workflow, what is so difficult to understand?
>>
>>971600
Ah, i see. Nevermind, degenerate.
>>
>>971605
There are more thing in this life than blender, if you don't know you should shut up and let the grown up talk. Go make a doughnut blender boy
>>
>>971607
>Go make a doughnut blender boy
I'm going to steal that
>>
>>971582
I use maya u nigger faggot, but there's no such thing as no topology workflow, u made me researching this non existent workflow nigger, wth is wrong with Maya fags
>>
>>971717
If you use Maya then you should know about the no topology workflow, it's standard in maya. Stop larping blender boy.
>>
>>971747
post documents or videos about no topology workflow otherwise you're trolling
>>
>>971747
Maya is a lifesaver for me, I changed to Maya because of this.
>>971930
Check out on YouTube, there's millions of tutorials there
>>
>>971985
>>971747
samefag, literally the first results on jewtube is standard subd modeling workflow
>>
>>972019
Stop being a troll, you are the only person In the entire thread that doesn't know about no topology workflow, just stop dude.
>>
>>971269
Model in sculptures, sculpt in marmoset toolbar, retopo in mari, texture in 3ds max, render in Zbrush.
That's my workflow, the 3d industry standard
>>
>>970531
But maya does have topology
>>
>le no topology maya bait is still going
I'm disappointed in you anons
>>
>>972019
That second video thumbnail is so retarded, I keep seeing it
>>
File: lmao.gif (3.5 MB, 272x450)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB GIF
>>972019
>>972231
I'm wheezing
>>
>>972206
I think that you still can use topology on Maya but no topology workflow is the standard
>>
>>972231
Why is it retarded
>>
>>972281
Because nobody uses topology anymore, Maya's no topology workflow will get you hired, not a 10 years old workflow.
It's like telling you that learning anim8or will get you a job
>>
>>972206
To be fair yeah, Maya does use topology, but he is talking about the no topology workflow, i use that too, except when I work with teams that use software not compatible with the workflow
>>
>>972302
I don't think that topology is completely out of use, if you work on the no topology workflow you are correct, but sometimes you need to use it, specially to make it compatible with older software, like blender for example.
>>972019
Why are you cherry picking those weird tutorials?
>>971572
Hopefully it becomes an standard for all the industry, maybe blender can implement it on the future, that would be great!
>>971462
Yes box modelling is a thing of the past, and one day with implementations of Maya's no topology workflow we would take retopology out of the workflow
>>
>>972226
it's not a bait you stupid blenderfaggot, Maya no topology workflow is the future
>>
Invisible costume that only smart people can see
>>
>>972226
because blender doesn't have it its bait?
I guess UDIM were not real a few years ago then?
>>
>>972360
>>972437
>>972452
Shut up, shut the fuck up
>>
its actually fucking over bros, I'm working on some [spoiler]netfl*x[/spoiler] stuff and all the client side assets are in blender. Can't believe I wasted over a decade on maya..
>>
>>972453
Are you angry donut boy?
>>
>>972469
Yes, a lot of people use blender for production, that's not new, blender is "indi" industry standard for a long time now, and a lot of netflix series/movies, are made on an indi budget.
>>
>>972502
I hate to tell you but Blender in production is used only for laundering assets created in proper software and to dodge license seats.
>>
>>972504
Keep coping fella
>>
>>972505
Watch a random Blender tutorial on youtube. Pay attention to the workflow. If you think such a clumsy workflow would be anywhere acceptable in production, then you know nothing abut production.
>>
>>970184
>theres plenty of jobs in 3d animation/games with blender, stop being a jew
A company I know is looking into blender for modeling and they're completely unrelated to the games/animation industry.
>>
>>972506
I was looking at blender tutorials and I couldn't find a non topology workflow, Maya has no topology workflow since a few years now, is the blender foundation getting to the no topology workflow trend?
>>
blender is good for boolean workflows and has really nice tools to help do hard surface concept designs. thats really the main use i see for it in my workflow rn.
>>
No topology is not real and I will not be proven wrong.
This is a successful discussion.
>>
blender is way more convenient because of the mirror modifier
>>
>>969357
Well, I was gonna create a similar thread. Mind if I do, OP?
Alright so I tried Maya but it's retarded and counter-intuitive. I mostly want to create human models and animate them.
Before trying 3d I talked about that with my friend who told me this basically >>969365. Now that I have tried Maya, that I've seen the shortkeys are retarded, there is clipping everywhere, absolutely nothing makes sense, the standard size of the brush to sculpt is 10m for reasons, bulge has a crazy strength while smooth is super soft and even Maya professionals advise to use Zbrush because sculpting in Maya is absolute dogshit turd. I wonder if I wasn't wrong. Blender looks way more coherent and less buggy.

Now my 2 questions are :
Is it relevant to use only one software to model AND sculpt, like Blender? What does it really bring? Is using Maya the. Zbrush ok ?
What does Maya brings compared to Blender, besides being the standard for the industry? Are there some difference about the results? Can Maya do things that Blender can't? Which ones? I heard Maya was better to render animations and record them. Is it true?
I plan to use my software professionally but as a freelancer, not sending resume to a company, so the socalled reputation of Maya in the industry is useless to me. I find this software retarded, and the only argument who will keep me going at it is that it objectively overplays Blender, like you caaan accomplish things you can't with Blender or it objectively does it better.
Then if it doesn't, I'll gladly drop that retarded shit of a software, probably programmed by boomers who don't know the meaning of the word "convenient".
Is Blender faster, easier, and more user-friendly/noob-friendly?
>>
>>969365 You sound like a fuckin' asshole, a pretentious prick. I'm pretty sure you're lying just to suck corpos and sound smart. I've watched Blender tutorials and the guys can polymodel and retopo a ful body and face. You're probably a disgusting iPhone user, spreading lies the whole day just to look cool.
>>
>>975388
Cris, you're taking things too personally.
>>
"the maya pro" x "blender hobby" argument is completely out of date now, i know countless people who work entirely in blender for big tv-shows, AAA games and marketing.

the only people i know who are on maya are the ones who are fighting against Blender because they've learned Maya and dont want to switch (or can't switch), usually they have a poor understanding of blender
and completely ignore its features, design and addons cappacities also, people who are forced on Maya by some game compagnies with specific workflow tend to mock Blender.

Blender is way more popular among people who just want to make some basic 3d stuff, animations or quick game assets, therefore when you search for Blender tutorials/guides, you will end up on a ton of shit
content containing a lot of mistakes and pakies wierd tutorials along with theses retarded Donuts videos.

The pro-Workflow in Blender is unique to individuals which make good content harder to find, its also pushing you into a lot of experimenting to find what works for you.

Also the people who sculpt tend to prefer ZBrush, but myself i find its interface disgusting and extremely annoying, some basics functions are hidden behind 5-7 clicks in subsubsubsub menus.

Blender's Interface is so good and modular that it makes other software seem completely retarded that when i switch to Unreal or Ableton, man it's a pain and i wish all my softs would use a similar modular interface.

The main thing that is lacking for me is the ability to better use sounds and MIDI integrations. being able to use Vst's directly in Blender and using the audio signals in GeoNodes or as animation drivers or to use Mesh data/animations to drive Vst's would be just perfect.

Also, some features are still lacking, like the Grease Pencil or the Evee Render (really bad atm) but theses are going to be massively improved in the near futur.
>>
>>975417
Cris, could you please ask ChatGPT to summarize a little better. Add it to your prompts.
>>
>>975417
>Blender's Interface is so good and modular that it makes other software seem completely retarded
I'm a blender user myself and blender interface is extremely retarded, probably one of the worst, don't be a fanboy, blender UI is disgusting and I use blender every day. You can also change the UI on Zbrush, just like blender, but you agree that it's still shit... That's fanboy shit there.
And now that blender put sub folders on the menu it's even worse, how much do you have to click to add a subsurface modifiers?
>The pro-Workflow in Blender is unique to individuals
There is no pro workflow for blender because most pros don't use blender, that's that simple, workflow for professionals is mostly standarized.
>>
File: blender_6bEgFryaDW.jpg (907 KB, 3440x1400)
907 KB
907 KB JPG
>>975430
>The number of clicks to create a subdi ?
the answer is two... 3 if you count pressing the "s" on your keyboard, you could also do ctrl+1, the fact that you ignore that tell me a lot about you.
>Blender interface is retarded
Oh really, then give me examples of softwares packing as many features and allowing you to change everything, have multiple viewport on multiple screens, allowing you to individually zoom on any panel, including modifiers tabs and text menus.
>There is no pro-workflow in Blender
Thanks for prooving me that you are retarded.
>>
>>975603
>Oh really, then give me examples of softwares packing as many features and allowing you to change everything
In Zbrush you can change everything, put every button in every place you want, you see that you don't know anything because you are a fucking mongoloid?
I have more possibilities changing the UI than blender, don't be so retarded, that's why people hate blender, because retarded fanboys like you, if you believe that a shitty UI it's good because you can personalised it then why you are complaining about zbrush on the first place?
>There is no pro-workflow in Blender
Are you mentally ill, keeping reading what I said, I said most pros don't use blender, and that's completely true

Thank for showing me that you have 0 comprehension reading. Go back to school kid, and stop being a fanboy, because the only thing you do is scare the professionals away from using blender.
>>
>>971269
model in zbrush, sculpt in photoshop, decimate in 3d coat, retopo in after effects, UVs in GIMP, texture in nuke and render in maya playblast. the white man's pipeline
>>
>>969357
>no autoretopo on blender
into the trash it goes
>>
>>975607
Nice workflow anon, I model in sculptris, make the sculpture on anim8or, uvs in nuke, pbr textures in marvelous designer, retopo in substance painter, materials on metasequoia and render in blender internal, that's the real hyperborean workflow.
>>
Ok some Maya sucker tells me one thing Blender can't do and Maya can.
>>
>>975781
No topology workflow it's the biggest thing it comes to mind
>>
>>975781
The no topology workflow or 0 Topology like some Anons call that style of modelling, I can't see to find it on blender
>>
>>975799
>>975793
>>975781
Pretty much this. It was a game changer for our studio, and now I cannot force anyone to go back to Blender.
>>
>>975802
Same, blender can't compete with that. Sorry to all my blender friends but never going back.
>>
>>975803
Blener has that, just use sculpting mode and remesh to whatever resolution you need.
Then retopo with quad remesher (sold separately)
>>
>>975806
we are not talking about remesh, we are talking about non topology workflow, you dont need to remesh in a non topological 3d model
>>
>>975806
not the same, retopo=topology
non topo workflow doesn't need topology
>>
I'm putting maya in my filters
>>
>>975793
>>975799
>>975802
>>975803
I'm still a beginner and working on my first model. If topology is placing the vertices and edges, what is non-topo?
Do you use Maya to sculpt? Zbrush?
>>
>>975875
????
>>
>>975781
>>975793
>>975799
>>975802
all me
>>
>>969365
Blender is now being listed frequently amongst Maya, Zbrush and Max for 3D modeling job. But if you want to be taken seriously for animation I suggest you still learn Maya, anon.
>>
>>975430
The subfolders on the menu do seem stupid, idk why they changed it.
> how much do you have to click to add a subsurface modifiers
ctrl+1, BAM, you're done.
I highly doubt it can be done that quickly in Maya.
>>
i work at a uni full time and technically that makes me a student as well with their benefits and all that. I can provide any necessary documentation to prove that I am a student, including letters from faculty/deans if needed. is there an actual limit on maya's free student access? surely I can't keep renewing it every year indefinitely.
still using blender for now though. also afraid that I'm too used to blender interface/hotkeys that trying to do anything else would fuck me up.
>>
Does any of them allow for WASD camera movement?
>>
>>969357
You can learn Maya in a day. Blender on the other hand....
>>
>>977870
Yes, Blender allows wasd. Press Shift ~ and you enter the free cam wasd mode.
You can even record camera movement created that way (and then smooth/edit it etc.)
>>
how to download from autodesk?
>>
>>969357
blender if you want to make models for the web or games, maya if you want to work with others that work with maya like in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l113tj52TN8
>>
>>975799
Interesting... I used to use this in 3DSmax a couple of years ago. Glad that this software is so old.
>>
In maya, is it possible to have two simulated deformation to collide with each other?
>>
>>975615
>automatic retopology
explain to me why this is not something that must always be done manually
>>
>>969365
>Both can be obtained for free.
Indefinitely?
>>
No one here actually is a modeler.
>>
>>980279
yes
>>
File: pp.png (552 KB, 1886x788)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
>>969357
Maya nodes have been around for like 28 years and it still took me 2 hours to create a procedural honeycomb pattern with uniquely colored tiles.
This shit in geometry nodes would take about 10 minutes max in Blender, and even be slightly more flexible.
For the last 4 years they added nothing substantial to Maya.
>>
>>981033
isn't stuff like this done with the new bifrost graph they've been working on for the last couple of years?
i don't use maya these days, but it's what i started on. i still got love for those marking menus.
>>
>>981040
It's a single shader. It's not an array of geometry.
>>
>>980279
Am I a retard or can't you just pirate it?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.