[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math


Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]


[Catalog] [Archive]

File: sciguide.jpg (9 KB, 200x140)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/
>>
Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

File: scientificfacts.jpg (117 KB, 900x1200)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
How does this make you feel?
112 replies and 14 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9239242
what does 'liberal' mean to you
>>
>>9240206
fewer student loans, less money in economy, gdp goes down. idiot.

stupid fucking metric for cable news and blowhards
>>
File: btfo brainlets.jpg (425 KB, 3264x2448)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>9238355
>combinatorics
cs-tier
>>
>>9238394
I thought it would be self defining.

Please don't tell me it means anything other than the definitions of the two words put together.
>>
>>9240209

Of course it's not.
If ExxonMobil and Greenpeace research the same topic, you can be 100% sure of two things:
-you won't find a flaw in their data and methods
-they will show completely contradicting results

>>9239490

I don't know the reasoning of the picture in the OP, but there are many different answers that come to my mind immediately:

-"Gravity" is just a word to describe a theory. I believe every sane person would believe in this theory, but it's still a theoretical model to describe reality.

-Gravity is not easy at all. When you think about gravity, the light and black holes it should be clear that we probably do not fully understand everything about gravity yet.

-Like a different anon said before: Social construct doesn't mean it's not real.


>>9239451


Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.

File: planet.jpg (125 KB, 1920x1280)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
What's life like on Planet 9?
>>
>>9240134
there is no life on Planet 9
>>
>>9240138

t. Planet 9 citizen
>>
>>9240134
it's just an oversized fucking rock alright
>>
>>9240134
Uneventful
>>
You arldy know how it is brainlet.

File: image.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x3024)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
What 10 inventions will be made in each of these eras

1. The Near-Future

2. The Mid-Future

3. The Far-Future

The near future is 30 years from now. The mid future is 100 years from now and the Far future is 500 years from now
1 reply omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9239509
Food printing will be here soon... Nutritinal Protein pastes and "mana" will be widely more accessible. "Living" electronics with silicon advances are pretty close. Dental regrowth idk fuck you
>>
>>9239651
Useless and masturbatory. What the hell does living electeonics evem mean
>>
Near future
>Even more realistic sex bots
>Perfected artificial wombs
Mid future
>robotic surgery becomes majority over hand-done
>finding out what is wrong with you medically will be completely done via mass assays and high throughput analysis rather than a doctor trying to figure out the symptoms. This may be far future if for some reason current progress stagnates.
>successor(s) to crispr/cas9 allows for designer babies
>lab-grown meat
>renewable or nuclear energy becomes norm
Far future
>Neural Integration
>idk too far. It's as inconceivable to us as smartphones are to Da Vinci.
>>
>>9239509
>mid future
strong AI
>far future
extinction
>>
>>9239513
>>9239661
I hope you get bullied to suicide.

File: Just2012.jpg (38 KB, 615x426)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I don't know if this is a recurring thread everybody is bored of or some kid of taboo since I almost haven't been here at all, if it is one of the above I apologize.
Are there any cis girls regularly posting here?
Browsing around, I felt like most people here are either boys or trans girls (I feel like I have to say that I have absolutely nothing against trans people, at all, you do you I wouldn't allow myself to judge, just asking out of curiosity).
If there are, I was asking myself what it was like to you to be in such a male-dominated field? Personally, I really don't care, but I don't really care about anything so I can't base my conclusion on my own experience.
If there are actually trans girls (I felt like there was a bunch), I'm very interested in your experience too.
Also, question for everybody interested in this thread, how would you explain such an extreme demographic in this field? Socialization? Maybe you unironically believe that AMAB are better at science that AFAB? Anything goes, I can't seem to find a satisfying answer on my own and you're a board I really value the opinion of, so I'm interested.
Also, this is a transphobia-free thread, anything goes but no 'subhuman" or "kill the faggots" please
36 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9239654
Thanks doc
>>
Women can’t handle it, women who can actually understand the material are few and far between. Even in my lower level ECE classes, any women who pushed through the first year had a hard time keeping up in class. I’ve only met two so far who weren’t just affirmative actioned through.
>>
>>9240231
>aspie females
She’s just quiet and shy, she’s cute though!
She’s just quirky and ditzy.
>aspie guys
He’s weird and creepy, he’s the next school shooter
>>
>>9240216
>Do you mean that you have to because since these guys are so full of themselves you need to prove yourself smarter even more, or that since they are a majority you have to kind of act like them? I understood the first one but I'm unsure.

okay, take a look at shit like this:
>>9240273
“women can’t handle it” seems to be the prevailing attitude among a lot of these guys, usually backed up by some form of psuedoscience. they try way too hard to sound intelligent and end up sounding dumb as hell because of it.
i’d say that even just being in the field means that you are unintentionally “proving” to them that you’re “smarter than other girls”.

>Also, why would you say that they are so full of themselves? Something like "male socialization", which seems to make sense to me, or something else?

a lot of the guys are stuck on the idea that only people who are intelligent or “special” enough for stem can do it, and i don’t believe that at all. it’s not a matter of if your iq is 122 or 130, or if you have aspergers or if you play video games or if you’re a girl or whatever else. it’s about how much dedication you have and how much you’re willing to put into it, and that doesn’t discriminate against gender. they’re insecure of their own abilities and that’s why they act like they’re special for majoring in stem.
>>
>>9240237
Seems plausible, thanks!

>>9240273
I guess that's a point of view, but this sounds pretty undefendable to me, I really don't see any kind of reasonning to back that up.
This >>9240224 would explain why they are less driven to it, but I don't believe there is anything else to say on "neurology" stricto sensu.

>>9240287
It's true that most people believe this (even though I believe aspie guys are cute too, but I spent time in an association taking care of them and also I'm aspie too so I probably don't count), but I don't really see what you're trying to say. Is it that I don't know fellow aspie girls because they are invisible to society?

>>9240309
This sounds very, very true, I wholehearthedly agree to everything you just said. I'll just add that I believe that you can do litterally anything with dedication too, but that some need significantly less dedication than others, namely in STEM 130+ IQs and aspies. I don't think that contradicts your point though

File: qKbHCFb.png (169 KB, 443x450)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
Why are there laws/rules of nature/physics that the universe must abide to?

Why isn't everything just chaotic and random?
88 replies and 8 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9234607
>if you drop an object it should be equally likely to go any which way
>>
>>9238252
this. fuck cats
>>
>>9238327
>things have to exist
>>
>>9239355
Well, I don't pretend to have all the answers but I don't see why gravity would require a law. Gravity results from the geometry of space.
>>
>>9239355
It goes some way, we humans have learned to call the way it goes as "down"

File: fzr4x16542gy.jpg (56 KB, 377x499)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
So /sci/ African immigrants (Nigerian) have already past US NIG nogs STEM and economically and they have only been here for 30 why are US nogs so stupid
26 replies and 4 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9239938 lol salty nigga
>>
>>9239850
acceptance into ivy leagues is not a good metric for obvious reasons.
>>
>>9239938
this person is dumb as fuck
>>
>>9239938
>It's sad u fucks don't know history. Blacks were doing pretty good during Reconstruction and then Jim Crowe laws came along. And while they lived in ghettos for the next 80 years they did fine until crack came along. They have a weakness for crack. That's when you began to see all the kids being born out of wedlock and rise of gangs and violence.
>It's not comparable at all to Irish. Black people can't just integrate like that. They're black. So many blacks who could've succeeded never did because even if you get out of the projects you can only go so far when you can't buy a house or rent in a good area just because you're black.
>The blacks finally were making some decent strides despite de facto segregation and appalling conditions in the inner city and you know what fuckin happened? They were sold mortgages they were told they could afford only for the rates to go way up and they all foreclosed and cause the housing market crash and the great recession.
>Racism literally almost killed the world's economy and nobody gave a fuck because racism is totally accepted. If people even read that much about it they didn't give a fuck. A bunch of dimb niggers got taken advantage of and hahaha fuck you
>I ain't even black but fuck you guys you need to learn a little history before you come to the conclusion that a group of people are just inherently inferior. I know a lot of black people and the biggest thing, in my opinion, that causes their lack of success is the instinctual way in which white people 'tolerate' them. Just because you're letting someone sit in the same room as you doesn't mean you aren't passive aggressively ostracizing them.
>And it isn't just blacks. The way people treat others is always tribal as fuck. And black people do it too so they aren't entirely blameless. Black individuals can still be total pieces of shit. But as an individual who grew up poor as fuck...... Idk fuck white people u guys suck
cringe
>>
>>9239938 Africans are doing better than u already no wonder they want to distance them self from u btw my parents are from Zimbabwe UK

File: 1504929877479.png (918 KB, 870x720)
918 KB
918 KB PNG
>let x be a real number s.t. x^x=0 . solve for x. you have 10 seconds to submit your answer
>>
>>9240421
The answer is i.
>>
>>9240421
0 = x^x = e^(x log(x)) > 0

No solution.
>>
>>9240424
prof gave the solution he said it was a clifford algebra that oscilattes on a kdv equation.

File: Math.jpg (121 KB, 774x1032)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Math help.
Trig is kicking me in balls, maybe /sci/ can help me more than khan academy is right now.

Right now I'm working on Analytic Trigonometry
Here are the problems I'm working on. I'd like help understanding them as I have the answer sheet in the back of the book, thanks!

1. cos(20+A)

2. sec x cos (-x) + tan^2x

Numbers 61 and 67 in pic provided.

Links to videos will be helpful, too.
32 replies and 5 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9240298
Will someone help me solve the problem?
>>
>>9240307
Do you by chance have an equation sheet that came with your HW?
>>
>>9240312
>equation sheet
It's DC Pandey. Answers are at the back. I just don't want to check it out. I want /sci/'s answers, could give me some insight.
>>
>>9240173
>Textbook
>One short paragraph explanation
>Two examples that are nothing like the practice questions
Textbooks are fucking trash they always have been
>>
>>9240294
Solve it for n = 2, that's sufficient to eliminate the wrong answers.

Immortality will be discovered. Basically what year do you think if youre alive that year you'll live forever?
33 replies and 6 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9238948
2030s, 26
>>
About five minutes after I drop dead.
>>
>>9235975
Well, lets think.
Chances are, nearly everyone here is above-average in intelligence. However, I have my doubts that people here are especially charismatic or hard-working. That being said, the average here will probably end up with middle or upper-middle class living.
Next, I'm about certain, assuming you're of above-average health and can pay for the healthcare, that we'll live to about 120 naturally, considering the speed medicine and technology are progressing.
I always hear that the medicine and biotechnology will be advanced enough for us to achieve immortality by about 2035, but it seems incredibly unrealistic that this stuff would be priced for the average consumer at release. Likely, only the elite of the elite could afford it. Even if it was easy to produce (and the people behind it were so charitable as to not be greedy with their newfound monopoly) there would have to be some kind of government intervention to prevent the skyrocketing birthrate.
So fuck it, lets imagine a hypothetical scenario maybe 10-20 years after the technology and medicine was created. Perhaps laws have been created that people living through immortality can't have children, as to keep the birthrate level. I like to think by then the treatment would be breaking the bank, but possible with hefty savings on one person's 90k or so salary. Maybe I'll achieve immortality as a 50-60 year old man. Of course, this is all assuming this shit will even happen. We should probably just assume we'll die like our ancestors.
Tl;dr, get a sweet job, ignore the female jew and save your cash and maybe you'll be saved before you die and live another couple centuries to fuck your virtual wife.
>>
>>9238628
>people were wrong about something in the past so that means anything is possible, let's just ignore all the times they were right lol epic meme post upvoted and shared
>>
>>9240227
This.

Has anyone on /sci/ ever taken the Math 55 course from Harvard? What was it like?
21 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9238270
You mean primarily staffed by imported Asians and curious travelling Europoors
>>
>>9238202
>>9238254
>>9238270
In my university (europe), there are several undergraduate programs: pure math, statistics and data analysis, mathematics of finance, mathematical modelling and applied math with economy. the first two or three semesters are almost the same for all students. we have three courses on mathematical analysis and two courses on linear alebra, everything is done rigorously with proofs, e.g. the first lecture on linear algebra (which may well be the very first lecture and undergradute hears) is on the definition of a group, field, field characteristic etc. I'm not trying to say that our education system is better, as a matter of fact I VERY strongly disagree with this curriculum. but it's just the way it is
>>
>>9238269
>they don't produce anything
CERN et al.
Anyway, it isn't americans doing the breakthroughs anymore, it's chinks and pajeets you import. Sorry to break it to you, but american university system is not "good": it's a kindergarten for entitled manchildren so they feel good about doing a degree at the university mr Wang Chingchong or Curry Pooinloo are doing great discoveries at while being mediocre themselves.
It's good in a way, though: since it's private, they can suck money from retard rich white kids and allocate in really big projects or payrolls for the real scientists coming from other countries so they get patents and top tier research.
As an education institution they suck, as a R&D company they are the best in the world, but not because of the alumnii.

Want proof? Most leading researchers in oncology come from Spain. We all know what happens in math and cs.
>>
>>9238254
In France it's definitely true of the math course in any uni or prepa
>>
>>9238059
>>9238061
>>9238065
>>9238088
>>9238110

File: topology.png (633 KB, 855x855)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
What if it's a mistake in biology to localize organs and organ systems by spatial location? In other words, what if things in multiple locations in the body are better viewed as a single organ, or even as a foreign organism? You could connect them by their chemical and electrical communications systems (are there any other types? temperature? heart rhythm?) by viewing them as embedded in a topologically complex 4D spacetime. What about the human eye? I seriously think there's something relativistic or quantum going on in there and it's connected to the brain by some sort of abstract high dimensional geometry. Same with the ears.

Previous /sci/ threads
>>9226892
>>9215659
88 replies and 7 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9240388
If you can make computronium out of this, you can make Minecraft blocks out of it or play Splatoon with it, or even Core Wars again
>>
>>9240392
Can you model a stochastic gradient descent optimization process in a Minecraft model of computronium?
>>
>>9240401
A small test project - can you cross-reference Netflix recommendations with the contents of imdb in an unsupervised way?
>>
>>9240403
How about extremely detailed bag-of-words sentiment analysis with a number of dimensions that actually scales linearly with simulation granularity? Then combine that with existing NLP tools and you may have something that understands colloquial natural language
>>
>>9240405
What could this do for music composition and recording? I'm sure Apple has an answer to that

File: starwars.png (2 MB, 1200x630)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
[TECH] - Trans Exclusionary Conservative Homosexual

Discord: https://discord.gg/hqrx5GN
>>
>>9240322
As a fellow pro-gun, anti-abortion, boy-on-boy fag, this is /sci/, not /pol/. Also, Discord is inherently far-left and supports government spying. You should not use such a platform.
>>
File: 1507794592216.jpg (115 KB, 595x799)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>9240322
>>9240350
As long as you queers are right wing, you guys are alright in my book. Would remove communists with.

File: billion.png (204 KB, 640x380)
204 KB
204 KB PNG
Quick poll:
What country are you from?
What were you told a Billion is:
- 10^9
- 10^12
11 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>9239933
No, that's "mil".
10 "diez"
100 "cien"
10^3 "mil"
10^6 "millon"
10^9 "millar"
10^12 "billon"
10^15 "billar"
...
>>
India
10^9
>>
>>9239403
Million=10^6
Milliard=10^9
Billion=million^2=(10^6)^2=10^12
Billiard=10^15
Trillion=million^3=(10^6)^3=10^18
etc. I realize MURRKAns aren't huge fans of logic but there we are.
>>
>>9239403
10^12 for reasons stated but I am usually careful to explain what I mean because the American way seems like the de facto standard, if only as an extension of the influence of English
>>
UK
We were taught that the British billion is 10^12 so that in counting all previous milestones would prefix the current, such that it could be written
> one
> ten
> one hundred
> one thousand
> ten thousand
> one hundred thousand
> one million
> ten million
> one hundred million
> one thousand million
> ten thousand million
> one hundred thousand million
> one billion
However, Americans decided to count in thousands and since they have more people we ended up using the 10^9 definition.

Does being intelligent make you too smart to have friends?
Is IQ correlated to friend-making ability?
>>
the fact you're worrying about something so stupid means you aren't intelligent enough to be in that scenario to begin with.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.