[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]

[Catalog] [Archive]

File: Herodotus.jpg (2.58 MB, 1739x2100)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc. Please use /lit/ for discussions of literature. Threads should be about specific topics, and the creation of "general" threads is discouraged.

For the purpose of determining what is history, please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago. Historical discussions should be focused on past events, and not their contemporary consequences. Discussion of modern politics, current events, popular culture, or other non-historical topics should be posted elsewhere. General discussions about international culture should go on /int/.

/his/ is not /pol/, and Global Rule #3 is in effect. Do not try to treat this board as /pol/ with dates. Blatant racism and trolling will not be tolerated, and a high level of discourse is expected. History can be examined from many different conflicting viewpoints; please treat other posters with respect and address the content of their post instead of attacking their character.

When discussing history, please reference credible source material, and provide as much supporting information as possible in your posts.

File: IMG_6084.png (2.45 MB, 1200x1200)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
Why don’t Protestants care that the Catholic Church is the one and only chance Christendom has for visible unity? Don’t they think that the unique visible Christian community is something worth holding onto? Strongest argument for historic Catholicism imo.
69 replies and 15 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16511373
>Both Fathers wrote in a time where there were no christian states, no christian military.
So are soldiers in non-Christian states banned from the church?
>>
>>16511421
Just some advice from a Christian brother. I don’t think you are steelmanning catholics so your critique seems low IQ (I will similarly critique the other guy).
>The Eastern Catholics recite Nicene creed without the Filioque.
And?…….
That is entirely irrelevant to salvation. Both Eastern and Western Catholics acknowledge each other’s theology as permissible and rooted in The Truth of the Christian faith.
Minor differences are irrelevant, where there is uncertainty allow diversity.

>>16511491
You should steelman prots. I get where you are coming from as a catholic, but most prots do believe in THE universal church they just don’t believe it’s limited to a single institution. There is still 1 church. They just don’t put the extra ecclisum nulla salva parameters on it.
Most baptists think Lutherans are saved.
Most Lutherans think baptists and calvanists are saved etc.
He most likely holds his church to be part of The Church, and his parish to be United internally to their traditions.
>>
>>16511543
>So are soldiers in non-Christian states banned from the church?
I would say yes.
I don’t think a Nork Solider can be a Christian.
You also still have yet to address the fact that only 1 father said that and you are reading it into 2nd church fathers writing.
So I will again repost the question you dodged (>>16511425)
Is everything a church father writes infallible?
Yes or no will suffice.
>>
File: IMG_5984.jpg (117 KB, 612x900)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>16511533
Do you know the history of any of the churches. The ELCA were kicked out of the Missouri synod for being heretics. They reject the Bible and the Lutheran confession. It is obvious to anyone that knows what they are talking about that you don’t want unity with heretics that reject the Bible and the confession. The Bible is very clear on this. The Roman church has more unity with the ELCA, Church of England and the PCUSA than the confessional prot counterparts. The Roman church has signed joint declarations or done ecumenical services with them.
The LCMS for example is united with the AALC, the Lutheran church of Canada, the archbishop of Latvia, and all other churches in the International Lutheran council.
>>
>>16511565
I'm not whoever you're talking to, I'm just curious. What about soldiers in countries that have no official state religion, like the United States? Or about soldiers in countries where the state religion isn't Christianity. Would an Algerian soldier be turned away from the church?

File: 539_1000.jpg (167 KB, 781x1000)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Why do boomers look so different from today's zoomers, isn't it just the clothes?

So allegedly some rabbi started Paul's cult 40 years ago but Paul never mentions Jesus in his letters other than to say that Jesus is a magic figure that lives in the sky and grants visions. He cites visions and secret messages in the scriptures as his sole source of information. He never quotes anything Jesus allegedly said, he never cites any of Jesus's parables, he never mentions anything he did on earth, he never mentions him founding a cult, or gathering disciples, he never has to refute or argue with anyone who allegedly knew this rabbi.

Hmmmm.

Imagine if the early Mormons never mentioned Joseph Smith until a century later.

Jesus didn't exist. The gospel narrative is a euhemerization of a magic figure that lived in the sky which the early christian cult believed in.
107 replies and 13 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: OIP-82.jpg (24 KB, 474x458)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>16511555
>priests are ALL our Fathers
>which is obviously impossible if theyre literal men
>>
>>16511561
Okay so then you agree that the Two Women, who Paul SAYS are allegorical, are indeed allgorical and not literal women.
>>
>>16511578
No, retard. They are "mothers" in a spiritual sense, AKA "nuns".
>>
>>16511584
Oh okay so you've never read Galatians 4. Cool.
>>
>>16511585
>Abraham is our literal father or he doesn't exist
Are you actually this dumb or just pretending?

File: monkey_closing_its_eyes.jpg (298 KB, 3000x1680)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
Are there any historic languages which are spelled and formed similar to western/Indo-European languages but mistakenly sound like Chinese?
>>
>>16511497
Wusun
Ordos
>>
>>16511497
I don't think very many languages sound like chinese.
I've always thought greek sounds more oriental than it should if that counts.

Conversely, Uralic, Turkic, Mongolian and Korean sound more western than they should, although in the first three that probably isn't a coincidence given the immense contacts with IE.
>>
>>16511544
>>16511556
Thanks. I was noticing that a lot of monkeys look chinese even though they don't have the feminine neoteny that chinks have, so I am really pulling my hair on crazy schizo thoughts about the origin of humanity.

Im moreso interested in the lives and political thought of influential leaders (sun yatsen, chiang kaishek, mao, yuan shikai, various other people), the xinhai revolution and transition from monarchy to republic, definitely the warlord era and what battles were fought. Also very interested in the evolution of the ccp from Mao to Xi, what things they kept and what they did aesy with. Period dramas also recommeneded. Highly prefer things from chinese historians though nothing which is ccp propaganda, please.
12 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16509340
that job takes up almost all of the time of the person working it, dumb fag.
>>
>>16507773
This is like saying "oh, you're interested in Soviet history? just visit Belarus you nigger"
>>
>>16508768
It’s because chinese history before 1949 is more interesting
>>
>>16508557
you've got to know where and when to start prying into the minds of chinamen as a local does.
For example, did you ever try to talk about politics inside a taxi? Taxi drivers and the inside of cabs are some of the most intense miniature debate halls to be found anywhere in China because it's one of the few places where one can be nearly certain the state isn't listening in.
>>
>>16510264
It's very similar to Russia in that regard.
But in general the Chinese aren't super friendly or talkative with Male Europeans apart from Russians.

File: 1646283255913.jpg (41 KB, 600x602)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
cringe
>Abraham
>Moses
>Confucius
>Aristotle
>St Peter
>Montinus
>Tertulian
>Iraneus
>St Augustine
>Muhammad
>Martin Luther
>John Calvin
Based
>Buddha

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
File: OIP-91.jpg (43 KB, 474x474)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>16511546
>St Peter
>cringe
>>
>>16511553
He was a judaizer
>>
>>16511574
No, he was an anti-Judaizer. Learn how to read.
>>
>>16511588
He sat with the pro-circumcision crowd
>>
File: 1676403741402790.jpg (62 KB, 500x650)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>16511546
>>Jesus (Gospel of Mark)
>>Paul

File: 74c.png (134 KB, 721x828)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
Why is it that, any time an atheist asks a legitimate question regarding some controversial element of christianity (eg. problem of evil, free will, etc) the christian response is almost invariably some sort of a mix between ad homs, strawmanning, and general mockery?
>>hey, if god is good, why does he give children cancer (and then sends them to hell if they didnt believe in him)
>w-well... you see... uh... look, stupid atheicuck, God doesnt need to make life easy for you and give you free nintendo games and funko pops!
>>how does free will work? how do you refute determinism
>haha! this dumb atheist retard doesnt believe in free will! h-how would i prove that its real? w-well... it just is, ok! you can just choose! and anyways um, if its not real, then haha why would you even be posting here?
Every single interaction with them is like that
153 replies and 10 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16511571
I don't even know what that means.
>>
>>16511566
Christopher Hitchens and George Carlin didn't write the OT or NT anon...
>>
>>16511586
>I don't even know what that means.
You don't know what anything means.
You haven't even read the bible.
Embarrassing.
>>
>>16511589
I have read more of the Bible than you, believe me.
>>
>>16511591
>I have read more of the Bible than you, believe me.
That isn't a bible quote anon.

File: 86857357.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
what exactly is the explanation for this?
>>
>>16511552
explanation for what? I have no idea where your image is even from or what it's depicting.
>>
>>16511564
street-level floors being found under another street-level floor
>>
>>16511552
The obvious explanation is that ancient american civilization built all those cities under the tartarian kingdom, and when it was collapsed under the mudflood the buildings were partially submerged.

What would Russia have been like if communism had never taken power?
15 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16511196
>How did arming Hitler
Stalin was buying time.
>and causing a famine that killed 5-6 million people
Stalin starved several million people by overfocusing on heavy industry in order for the Soviet Union to be able to produce enough military equipment to make saving the other tens of millions of Soviet citizens possible.
>Stalin was the reason Kiev got encircled and why Barbarossa was a surprise attack
uh huh, and his rapid mental shift towards thinking realistically was the reason Kiev was retaken and Barbarossa was a German strategic failure.
try a little harder retard. I know Stalin was responsible for massive famines and the Red Army's failures in 1941. His leadership is also responsible for retroactively redeeming those fuckups.
>Stalin bumbling his way to victory does not excuse his policies that made a second world war possible
that's just it, he bumbled through the period directly before and in the first days of the war. He stopped bumbling after 1942 and fucking won. Without surrendering any of his power over the USSR's state structure, he largely relegated military affairs to competent marshals (that he also stopped shooting so much.) this, amongst other traits he began to show, were things which Hitler the fantastist micromanager never mentally grasped.
>they were on track to become a conservative dictatorship
literally that Anglo cartoon wishfully thinking that conservatism would prove to be a big enough counterweight to stop Nazism lmao
>>
>>16511231
He didnt win, he survived. His state was left a shell that would only experience a few more brief years of economic growth before never ending stagnation. And the Americans had to feed the Soviet people and fuel 70% of their aviation fuel that even made their survival possible
>>
File: 1707951897858610.png (437 KB, 750x644)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
>>16511231
Stalin was a Nazi collobrator and got millions of his lapdogs killed by arming Nazis when Western Allies had embargoed Germany.

Tankies literally bootlick retards who throw away their lives due to stupidity.
>>
Let me put it this way: right now russia is coasting half a million casualties for trying to invade a seoncd world country for three years straight, and the people are quiet. Their economy is in shambles, their infrastructures crumbling, electricity is scarce, but the people are quiet. Their government is an oppressive, totalitarian dictatorship and a junta of literal mobsters that summarily imprison, execute and defenestrate dissidents, yet the people are still quiet. Over 30 years, putin did things that would be fucking unacceptable anywhere else, and yet, the russian population still supports him. Imagine what kind of nightmarish situation was imperial russia to cause a country of submissive serfs to violently react and cause a civil war. Just imagine what inhumane conditions they must've endured for thdm to finally say "that's enough". If you take this in consideration, you can safely assume that in no way, shape or form imperial russia would've survived to the modern day.
>>
>>16511231
>Stalin was buying time
Buying time by arming Hitler to invade? You are mentally handicapped. Everything about your post is mentally handicapped. You giving Stalin credit for taking back a city he lost in the first place when it was unnecessary and caused many Soviet POWs to die in German captivity?
Lmao, you are brain-damaged. For real.

I'm not a feminist, and I basically think feminism is dead in terms of the need for the movement at all, but given those two things, can we also stop this annoyingly fake "TRAD CULTURE" meme, where men are the only ones allowed to have careers, and women are "LE HECKIN CHASTE VIRGINS OWNED BY THEIR PARENTS UNTIL GIVEN TO ME BECAUSE I DESERVE IT"? Because not only is that giving credence to especially retarded conservative religious figures who think the world is 6000 years old and man walked with dinosaurs in the cretaceous period, but it's also never how things "traditionally" were, and women were never complete chaste virgins, unless you were the upper utmost nobility, and even then your daughter could have likely ended up becoming a slut.

Seriously, it just comes off as completely disconnected, delusional, and creepy, and I partly blame the backwards religious idiots for this growing movement. Feels like cultural slide-posting where methodists and baptists, and ESPECIALLY crypto-muslims are pushing for this exceptionally retarded view. Yes, we get it, you're upset because you're a virgin and life is tough, get over it. You want things to be the way they were 200 years ago? Okay, are you also fine with 1% of women dying in child birth?

Like, I understand there's problems with women favored in divorces, women getting much lighter sentencing for the same crimes, also being more likely to be hired than men, but these issues can be solved separately, without drudging up objectively evil cultural wrongs. Or, how about this, since you're so hell-bent on traditionalism, how about you quit being such a christ-cuck and we go back to REAL traditionalism, to our pagan ancestor's roots with worshipping the moon? Is THAT traditional enough for you?
32 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: trad.png (1.39 MB, 1080x1096)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>16511029
>>This is interesting wording. Does this Amish man "deserve" an Amish trad wife?
>No.
>> Has a crime been committed that this woman was not raised by corporations and mainstream mass media to want to party into her 30s like Kim Kardashian?
>Strawman.
>>and to want to be a mother?
>Another strawman. Amy Coney Barrett had 7 children, while also going to Notre Dame university on a full-tuition scholarship, become a lawyer, and then a Supreme Court justice. What's her fucking excuse? Sounds pretty lazy to me to just have your woman sitting on her ass at home shitting out children and nothing else.
>> would not be being scolded for wanting a happy christian trad marriage
>As previously mentioned, there's nothing stopping you from achieving that. You're just lazy and incompetent and nobody wants you. I'm not even Christian and I'm married to a Catholic woman whom I was the first man she had ever been with.
>You're a loser looking for a handout, like the vast majority of retards that push for this "Trad culture" nonsense bullshit because you assume you'll be given cultural reparations for something you did not earn, and will never earn, unless you start to take action yourself and quit hoping on a happy life to just fall in your lap.
strawman, I said Margaret Thatcher would be a 10/10 because she both worked and have children, you didn't seem to read my post just blurted out the usual "u r basement dwelling loser incel chud" rhetoric

Logically explain who deserves what. Why do you "deserve" a catholic tradwife while amishman does not deserve an amish tradwife and I should be scolded for wanting a Christian trad marriage. When someone's moral compass is totally incoherent like yours it is usually because they had no principles to begin with, but I'll give you a chance to explain your position rationally.

>>16511040

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
>>16511460
>It was always difficult.
>Let's not romanticize the past, okay?
Difficult in different ways, but community was a far bigger factor to take the brunt off this subject (mating) in particular.
And there was no Darwinism. Especially Social Darwinism. The real reason why there's so many angry incels one step away from mass shooting another 30 people is they grew up in a highly competitive world where they fell short on a lot superficial shit that they just didn't stand chance with.. that they were born with and no fault of their own. And they're just told over and over again they're pieces of shit that deserve nothing, no matter what they do. The only value constantly signaled to them is raw power that's grinding them into dust. So they take power in their own hands in the only they know how anymore, just to say "I was here."
There was brutality in the past, but this level of psychological torture? Fuck no. A guy like this probably had a better shot even as a serf.. just to a carve a little life for himself. But now, it just makes most of them crazy.
>>
I will tell my story and draw your conclusions.

>be me at 20 years old.
>I want to get married, have children and have a classic Catholic family
> I spent all of my 20s and 21s “looking” for a good wife, especially in church.
>I meet a girl and "investigate" her in various ways to find out if she is really good.
>her family is amazing and Christian, and she has a great relationship with her father
>not a "conservative", not a politician
>dating her
>I ask her to marry me in a year
>I pay the dowry
>we live together
>we have a beautiful and incredible daughter :)
>after a while, your way of being changes.
>I think this is normal, as only idiots seek Disney romanticism

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
>>16511530
What do you mean Satanic photos?
Sorry how that turned out, man. Really sorry about your daughter. Hopefully she'll come around.
>>
>>16510950
I came in to this thread expecting you to clown on Guenon and co. Disappointed.

File: IMG_9272.jpg (195 KB, 1170x1327)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
It's currently 3 AM and I'm contemplating calling the bishop because I am so pissed at our orthodox community right now.

The church is a complete failure as an institution: we used to talk about this topic occasionally, but the clergy doesn't give a fuck anyway -- young members of the church are all dogmatic pseudo-pharisaic ideologues obsessed with racism and nationalism, meanwhile all real internal traditional institutions, that premise them being given a state of mental clarity in the first place, are all sublated -- why? Because most of them are all fatherless/from broken household, "incels" and socially awkward for the most part outside of church, all because their internal, personal life, is not part of their church life/institution anymore like the church body expects it, and because bishops dont have any real authority over anyone or anything within life whatsoever -- is the bishop aware of "orthodox chad" edits that glorify genocidal maniacs and serfs? Men will be unmarried at age 30, 13 year old girls walk into church with cleavage, teenagers make posts fanaticizing hitler -- nobody cares; people aren't even getting married anymore and semblance of any real orthodox "society" has been completely sublated, or at least been completely removed form everyday life and civil society at large.
>>
>Modern TradOrth LARPers are just /pol/ finding another [false] excuse for racism.
More news we already knew at 12
>>
>>16511506
Maybe if they didn’t tax people to death and have an overbearing bureaucracy, greek diaspora like me would go back. You can’t have nice things in Greece
>>
>>16511506
What is your point, sperg?

File: 1570299058209.jpg (51 KB, 832x1000)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I think the bad guys won WW2 but only because I like good underdog stories.
11 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16511424
Germany did nothing of heroic. It died like a rabid dog trying to bite as many people as possible.
>>
>>16511498
It fought a glorious struggle against the world, bringing out its full strength and that of its adversaries. The world had never seen such a battle before and likely never will again. The dramatic tale and impressions of Germany's feats will live on for as long as humans exist.
>>
>>16511520
> Aryan master race fights war
> Loses anyway
>>
>>16511374
Until Normandy it was an underdog story
>>
>>16511532
It was a kino tragedy.

File: God.png (994 KB, 681x920)
994 KB
994 KB PNG
>Before Abraham was...

>I AM

Woah...
7 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16509382
Dude...
>>
All these years later and shitlibs are still parading this image around like it's a religious icon for them. The left used to be pretty good at humiliating conservatives but this whole "Jesus was brown" angle is just self-indulgence on their part since no Christian ever cared.
>>
>>16509909
>*holy land in jewish control*
>why is the archaeologist israeli, wtf???
>>
>>16509382
"Science Jesus" doesn't look like the real Jesus.
Also Abraham was a Muslim.
>>
File: OIP-92.jpg (25 KB, 474x460)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>16509382
Say "Christ is Lord".

File: 1.jpg (125 KB, 724x670)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Why are you not a pacifist?
2 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>16511528
stop posting frogs first
>>
File: 1694566764643168.jpg (7 KB, 220x221)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>16511534
amphibious website
>>
>>16511521
Testosterone and basic logic
>>
>>16511539
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>16511521
The only winning move is not to play.


[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.