[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>
>>971041
I appreciate you lol.
>>
>>971041
because....beacuse it is le SOVL, okay??!
>>
>>971041
It just has soul bruh. Are you uncultured?
>>
>>971060
bussin
>>
>>971041
New cgi lacks of sovl, it's for the washed masses, old CGI is pure, and full of life, old CGI is superior than the new uncultured crap that you're and me do.
I wish I could back in time, when everything was more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, to that time when real artists and nerds were the pinacles of the industry. I long for that era, the time of true man, true passion, but I am stuck in here with you...
>>
>>971161
>washed masses
>>
>>971201
Yes, because most people bath, saying that they are unwashed is wrong, they may be retarded and uncultured, but water in your house is a common thing nowadays
>>
>>971041
It looks cool and evokes nostalgia.
>>
qrd on "forced soul"?
>>
>>971041
it looks cool
>>
>>971041
It's cool but nothing too special
https://youtu.be/dhGz_7mYnj4?list=RDdhGz_7mYnj4
>>
>>971595
It's not special to people who trace 3d models only, because sovl can't be traded, and old models like this stand the taste of time
>>
>>971595
I love this music
>>
>>971595
A E S T H E T I C
>>
This is pure sovl, I miss this era that I wasn't born yet
>>
The SGI computers, the 3DFX graphic card, the raytraced demoscenes, the beginning of Pixar...

What a good time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgq10etls5k
>>
>>971161
Yep now all those artists have been replaced by minorities, women, and most importantly trannies.
>>
>>972317
I live in a 99% white country and the CGI (and art as a whole) is just as stagnant and soulless, there's more to it and that
>>
Limitations always help polishing work as much as possible.
N64/PS1 vidya had this surreal feeling to it, they gave room for imagination to feel the blanks. They could become extremely eerie out of our own imagination and the artists had to be extremely talented to represent their ideas with low polys/textures.
It was also a way more optimistic time where people were experimenting with audiovisual pshicological responses.
Nowadays there's no room for imagination to fill the blanks. Either it looks like shit or it looks hiperrealistic. Few studios care about the art design department aside from overdesigning shit. Pixar and Dreamworks have standarized everything because it's way easier and cheaper to reuse assets. Same with videogames.

There's a few studios that still care about style and for all what's worth, Nintendo always having gimped hardware forces their studios to be creative with art and design, while other videogame companies just mocap shit and use scanned texturing because they are cheap as shit and creatively bankrupt.
>>
>>972317
probably a less the fault of minorities you dont like and more how companies operate, they dont facilitate creative unique art through employees much anymore
its a very "shut up and do the minimum" sort of working atmosphere
>>
File: revolting.gif (3.38 MB, 498x435)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB GIF
>>971041

Nothing.

These morons that talk about "sovl" and other shit are just high on nostalgia. They sit around jacking it to NURBS models from 1997 and lamenting the rise of high resolution textures, not to mention bitching about anything that can render more than three light sources.
>>
>>971041
Limitations forced the artists to be creative with their works, due to the lack of limitations, creativity is not there.
>>
>>971041
Not much, it looks cute.
Like a kitten failing a jump because it hasn't experienced physics enough yet
>>
>>972354
>These morons that talk about "sovl" and other shit are just high on nostalgia.
So are people into vinyl or vintage synths.
Each generation idealizes some now obscure shit that was mundane for the generation before them.
>>
>>972354
>picrel
TNG is the same nostalgia trip btw.
>>
BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE MY DREAMS
>>
>>972374
Take it back, old synths are perfect.
>>
>>972354
why cant i have nurbs and high res textures
>>
>>972354
Listen here, you little shit. You little motherfucker. You coddled adult toddler.

They have an appreciation for their forefathers who paved the way for this art form. These men and women braved the trenches of the unknown. Do you have any idea the money, time and patience it took for someone 30+ years ago to even dip their toes into 3D? No, of course not, whippersnapper. You think these people Googled shit to figure what you considered basic knowledge these days? No. They had to crack open their manuals and deal with the inherent drawbacks of a new blooming technology. Every little piece of those NURB models was made with more love and care you'd ever hope to recieve in your pathetic lifetime. To appreciate these works is akin to appreciating the art masters of centuries past. By God almighty, himself, I'd rather have forced SOVL than another emotionally hollow, realistic render you empty headed societal rejects evactuate from your uncleansed anuses. Kindly remove your existence from this God forsaken space ball, you uncultured swine.
>>
>>972708
>art form.
Lol lmao lol lmao lol lmao
Art form in which 95% of ""artists"" go printer mode on concept artists work
>>
File: lmao.jpg (111 KB, 500x375)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>972711
>>
>>972711
>printer because my modern corporate workforce neatly sections off people into boxes
Yeah, because every modeler back then totally wasn't involved in any concept art whatsoever. None of them understood forms in 3D and had to digitally recreate that. Not every 2D artists has competence with 3D forms. Also a shit argument because a solid design on paper is probably the easiest part of CGI. Let me guess, you only create static models in fucking blender?
>muh concept artists doing all the work
I guess the concept artists can do all the animation and lighting work too.
>not an art form
Holy top kek now I know you're reaching
>>
>>972769
Bro you are coping and strawmanning hard right now
>>
File: data_kiss.gif (1.08 MB, 640x640)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB GIF
>>972708

>>972708

Hahaha! Wow, you raged REAL hard. I can tell you never actually did anything you just described, because as someone who did I can assure you: you are fucking retarded. Just...horribly brain damaged. The crap we were making in the 90s was exactly that: crap.

Why do you think nobody does any of that anymore? Because it looks like shit. It looked like shit in 1994, too, but we didn't have any options back then. It was the best shit we could make. The only teams that could make anything look even remotely not like shit were working for the big guys like ILM or Digital Domain.

Go enjoy your "sovl", you monumental turd.
>>
>>972778
>trigger
Well, that is obviously a verbose joke post. Don't know how autistic you need to be to not catch that.
>brain damaged
Of course it looked like low quality, you retard. Thats how technology develops. And of course if it was better in '94 they would've done things differently. Doesn't mean it didn't have artistic value. You have this hate boner for software you've, most likely, never touched. What the hell is wrong with appreciating what was accomplished? Just because it doesn't match your aesthetic ideals? The better it got the less interesting it became. CGI is no longer impressive to the average Joe; it has become standardized. This is when you lose SOVL. Lacking appreciation for what came before is why a lot of things turn into shit. And saying it looked like shit back then tells me you weren't conscious in '94. Repeating Star Trek memes really give off the "um ackshually" vibes. You seem really insufferable and up your own ass.
>>972775
Don't care about muh strawman. And the coping thing is a fallacy, itself.

Sorry bros, it's fun to dick about but I actually have shit to make. Ya know, because I actually work in this field.
>>
>>972786
still coping like crazy, there is no appreciation for 3d because it's the most inferior medium by itself, it's not even worth calling an artform
>>
File: Lore2.jpg (278 KB, 1440x1080)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>972786

>backpedaling because obviously retarded post is retarded

Sounds about right.

>because I actually work in this field

That's the funniest thing you've said so far!
>>
File: not funny human.jpg (44 KB, 617x445)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>971041
it will be a counter movement against AI

retro graphics + nightshade

retro + authenticity will be the future
>>
>>972974
>nightshade
lol
lmao even
that shit takes a lot of time to apply and does jackshit, except for making a picture look worse.
>>
>>971059
kek
>>
File: 1710984175432.png (1.19 MB, 1280x720)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>I AM COB HERE
>>
>>977014
gem
>>
File: Dragonballs.png (177 KB, 512x384)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
been trying to learn povray
>>
>>971041
Everything.
>>
>>971041
Better art direction in the industry overall, neccesitated by the tech restrictions.
If we had even a crumb of the same direction mindset today used on modern graphics i assure you, "retro" would look like complete fucking shit in all fields in comparison.
>>
it activates my neurons that remind me of a better time
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGfxCxnZW0
>>
>>971945
get in with the times, zoomer. nobody says A E S T H E T I C S anymore. vaporwave is dead.
>>
>>978693
Vaporwave is dead
Long live vaporwave
>>
its SOVL
simple as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgq10etls5k
>>
>>972708
And so your idea of honoring all their hard work, all their dedication and time invested into improving this medium is to throw it all away and return to sticks and stones? Doesn't sound like honor to me; I'd want people to build upon and continue to evolve my contributions instead of LARPing for an era long gone.
>>
>>979646
The funny thing about your point is that if you weren’t an idiot and you actually knew things about the world, you would be aware that your point is senseless because people imitating their ancestors is a fairly common practice that you find in nearly any society. These can be things like holidays, festivals, daily habits, or even dedicating yourself to a dying craft, or simply an older way of doing a craft. People may do these for many reasons, and honoring their ancestors is one of them. “Throwing away” your modern conveniences and experiencing the same hard work the people in the past experienced most certainly is a way to honor them.
>>
>>979668

That's fucking stupid. You're brain damaged.

Imitating the early, shitty years of CGI is not the same as performing ancient rituals or wearing the traditional clothes of long-lived cultures. Those things have developed over generations. Most of us that were making these shitty animations in the 80s and 90s are still alive, and newsflash: none of us do any of that shit anymore because we KNOW its shit. The handful of autistic dipshits who sit around masturbating to this garbage don't know anything.
>>
>>971041
It's prettier than "high quality" 3D graphics.
>>
I don't like it for the results. I like to use old software as a challenge
>>
File: 3d faswhave.jpg (135 KB, 999x1300)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
Is this sovl?
>>
>>972317
>and most importantly trannies.
Weird how trannies became more important than minorities and women in the progressive stack.
>>
>>980259
looks like typical bryceslop
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjoMdWH-JI
>>
>>980700
Video games aren't "CGI" thoughbeit
>>
File: lady.jpg (20 KB, 281x441)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>971059
this, but unironically
>>
>>971041
nothing
>>
>>971041
Thought this video was pretty fascinating. Very rare to see this kind of early CGI at such high fidelity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9AZ9CGMi4k
>>
>>971059
This but ironically.
>>
>>981484
kino

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.