[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some ways I can mimic ps2 era graphics?
>>
>>974338
use default textures and lighting.
Phong.
Scarcely use motion capture, save for cutscenes.
>>
>>974338
What confuses you about PS2 era graphics anon?

The basic overlook is as follows: use restrictive polygon counts representative of the era to capture the look and feel of assets from that time
but realize you can now build environments a 100x more detailed and still have it run silky so break away from it if you need to.

Use blinn/phong shaders and let diffuse textures semi self-lit do the work for you. Specular textures where available but saw pretty restrictive use.
Asphalt in Gran Turismo is an example where you see obvious use of custom texture in the gloss/spec channels.

Use spherical coordinates or similar in your shader when you need reflections and use reflection maps to emulate bounced light from the environment.
Car paints in Gran Turismo serves as an example of this effect again.
>>
>>974338
>>974339
>>974343
Cris, nobody has nostalgia for PS2 era graphics.
>>
>>974346
Idc, I like it
>>
>>974346
I think it's nostalgic, fuck you.
>>
>>974346
Wrong!
Bad take as always. Why Cris detractors always have the shittiest takes?
>>
>>974338
OP your picrel is an FMV. if its a jap game, the FMV is most probably rendered offline with Softimage.
>>
>>974383
Honestly it'll be cooler if someone made a game that replicated the look of PS2 era cutscenes, like something from Blur studios.
>>
>>974346
I like the art direction in GT4 more than the super bright successors.
>>
>>974338
Gouraud shading with just enough geo to make it not look like shit and maybe some basic cubemap reflections? Stencil drop shadows were common too
>>974346
PS2 was when graphics got 'good' fight me
PS3 era just looked like plastic 90% of the time
>>
File: Yakuza-2-Shot-01.jpg (62 KB, 1200x675)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>
anyone who thinks ps2 looks bad is just a realism monkey. go watch your movies
>>
>>974338
get access to renderware
>>
PS2/Gamecube graphics were literally the peak of video games. Almost everything later looks like slop.
>>
>>974518
around god of war 2 is when any 3d graphic game was not being held back by 3d anymore, there were games before than that hit this mark, but this was the time when EVERYONE was hitting the mark.

I will argue that ps2 but wildly expanded is more than good enough for graphics (not limiting backgrounds or full scenes to 100k pollies, but keeping object or character poly limited) kind of the same for ps1 style graphics, as long as they have a z buffer, style REALLY god a long fucking way. have a 1 million polly scene with just ps1 style graphics.

I will say, while i'm not nostalgic for ps2 necessarily, I love seeing well done games in that style because I know they wont run like hell.
>>
>>975561
realism always looks like shit 3 years after it comes out, some notable exceptions being crysis and probably metro, but you take mario galaxy and boost it to 4k, shit still looks good and its what, 16 years old...

gears 2 did not age well, crysis, while a technical marvel of the time, did not age as well either, though I will give it, it wasn't piss filtered and have tropical and snow areas.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.