[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do I get to this level of 3d as FAST as possible?
>>
>>976484
lmao if you have to ask that question, you're never going to make it
>>
>>976484
2024 so sit on your ass and wait for the AI to be able to do it for you is realistically fastest since it'll take multiple years of practice to learn this from scratch.

But OG answer: Study fine-arts type figure drawing til you're able to render realistic portraits of people, you have to learn
how to see shapes for what they are and judge how they sit in relation to one another very accurate and that is the shortcut
to get there the fastest thru deliberate practice.

While you're doing this play around with your 3D tools modelling and sculpting simpler stuff so you start getting accustomed how to operate them.
Once you start getting competent at rendering humans graphite on paper Your 3D skills will start developing in absolute lockstep with your 2D skills as they're
the same skill. Reason you don't start out in 3D if you wanna learn this fast is there are more pitfalls and more bad practices available there.
Traditional art while initially seeming more unforgiving serves as a pressure chamber to force you to think about shape the correct way instead of swinging the
camera around and thru the function of the number of angles end up with some that sort of works and send you down 'the turd-polishers lane'.
>>
>>976487
That's a 3D scan and you're dumb.
>>
>>976484
I don't think anyone on this board would know.
>>
>>976484
For form, practice scultping human anatomy.

For texturing, acquire rig strong enough to render 8k textures that you can download for free.

Or

Practice texturing yourself using substance painter and following the thousands of tutorials you will hoard but never use.

Thats it. If you just want a render but wont use the model any further, use AI and generate a render. Easiest route to get your idea across.
>>
>>976489
>>976498
What you think doesn't really matter because you're dumb.
>>
>>976484
Find a high level tutorial, and pay for it. Follow it step by step. Don't get distracted by the notion that you're going to do your own thing. Because all that does is steer you down the road of individualism and decay. Mastering realism is about throwing away such notions, and just copying what you see. Copying the techniques of the masters that came before you. Fuck all that free tutorial bullshit. Throw some cash at a professional tutorial by people who know what the fuck they're talking about. And just grind it out.
>>
>this level of 3D
This skill is specifically digital sculpting, if you want to learn this skill you won't be learning 3D in general. You won't be learning rigging, animation, any of that kind of thing. You won't be a generalist, because being this good at sculpting takes far too much time and dedication.
If you can't draw already it'll take you multiple years to get this good. If you can draw already it'll take you 6 months to a year if you learn quickly and focus. And I really mean you need to be good at drawing for this.
The fastest way to get good at drawing quickly would be to pay to attend a fine art atelier. You can learn to draw on your own though, but it's difficult and slower.
You need to be autistic about anatomy, if you aren't interested in anatomy already I would find something else to do.

I wouldn't recommend becoming this good. I am this good, and I've had basically no financial reward for it.
If you love anatomy, if you love producing art, if you love working, if you love studying, then I can recommend becoming a proficient digital sculptor. It's very creatively satisfying.
>>
>>976542
>because being this good at sculpting takes far too much time and dedication.
>it'll take you multiple years to get this good
>I wouldn't recommend becoming this good. I am this good, and I've had basically no financial reward for it.
Brother this isn't even metahuman level of quality, quite frankly op pic is amateurish, stop being so dramatic
>>976484
>as FAST as possible
Just get a couple of courses from cgpeers, I suggest getting separate ones for sculpting and texturing since they are usually more thorough though
>>
>>976543
>Brother this isn't even metahuman level of quality, quite frankly op pic is amateurish,
There's some minor issues with the eyes, and some of the texturing isn't that great (although it could be the render).
Obviously it isn't metahuman level, and as a likeness to Robert Pattinson it isn't great, but to call this amateurish or achievable with a couple of tutorials, you don't know what you're talking about honestly.
>>
>>976543
>>976545
Anons talking stupid shit, this is a digital sculpture wrapped on a metahuman face for the details and maps.
I am definitely better than him at sculpture and it took me about 10 years, and im not even on the levels of the high mid tear sculptors over there, so i guess, 6 to 7 years you can sculpt something like this. Given that the likeness is not there I might say that he doesn't do that type of work. Likeness is really specialized and it takes shit ton of time
>>
>>976549
Nigga you are either insane or actually talentless if you think it takes a decade to be able to make a ps3 level head
>>
>>976556
We can compare sculptures right now if you want, to see who is more talented
>>
>>976568
Show me your decades of experience then, we already have Cris who spent a decade building his 3d skills, I'm excited to see another master
>>
>>976570
first show me your Grassetti leves of 3d sculptures with only 3 months of experience
>>
>>976572
Why are you pussying out all of a sudden?
>>
>>976577
I'm just waiting your post, I'm not pussying out
>>
>>976578
You are such a fucking flake, jesus
>>
>>976580
post your work 3 month Savant
>>
>>976582
I won't because I know you won't post yours dumb flakey nigger, enjoy wasting another decade, maybe you will reach ps2 levels by then
>>
>>976584
you see, I knew you were going to be a pussy
>>
>>976484
the technical skill is there but the likeness is way off. good job overall.
>>
I didn't want to make a new thread for this and this thread seems fitting so:

I want to make a 3D model of an actor. This means I got a lot of reference images BUT they are all done with different lighting, different make-up, haircut, expressions, focal point etc. so not anything Standardized like pic related.

how do I best approach this with 0 drawing and 3D modeling skills?

Does it make sense to collect a bunch of reference images from different angles and slowly sculpt while looking at the references all the time? With no art skills of any kind do you think this will actually lead to anything? If so what software would you recommend? I remember playing around with Zbrush a long time ago. Is that still good for this? I am probably getting way ahead of myself here but if I want to be able to do expressions can I add that later or does the model have to be made with it in mind?

Or should I really learn drawing first before I even attempt this? I kinda want to have a project I can work on though.
>>
>>976589
start with the standard zbrush blocky head that it comes with and just give it a try. you dont need to be a great 2d artist to sculpt in 3d. the best way to get good and sculpting likenesses is to sculpt likenesses. just try it dont overthink it. then take a step back and try again the next day and tackle all the flaws from day 1. you learn alot by just doing.
>>
>>976587
>the technical skill is there but the likeness is way off. good job overall.
>the likeness is way off.

its not, lol

>>976594
>start with the standard zbrush blocky head that it comes with and just give it a try. you dont need to be a great 2d artist to sculpt in 3d. the best way to get good and sculpting likenesses is to sculpt likenesses.
actually the best way to get gud is to study anatomy
>>
>>976589
Your best bet might be using screen captures (ideally from a single scene) rather than photos to get it all dialed in, then using the photos for detail rather than proportion.
>>
>>976484
fastest way? 3d made from scans
next fastest? multiple photos to make a base 3d geometry you work from
next fastest? a generator you can alter properties of (probably the fastest if you are just talking about total time to make and not just time you have to sit at a computer)
next fastest would be sculpting, and this is highly dependant on how good you are at remembering underlying human anatomy and how much experience you have with art.
>>
>>976589
>I want to make a 3D model of an actor.
>how do I best approach this with 0 drawing and 3D modeling skills?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UYF8q907Os
>>
>>976484
by the time you achieve this, your skills will be obsolete and unimpressive
>>
>>976589
>With no art skills of any kind do you think this will actually lead to anything?
No.
You can sculpt with zbrush with an image overlaid over the sculpt, and you can try to set up your virtual camera to match the perspective of the photo, and you can do that a bunch of times with different photos to work up to a likeness, going back and forth etc. It's a long and time consuming process for people who already have a lot of skill.
But you can get good at sculpting, just be realistic. Your first sculpt is going to be ass, and everything you make will be ass for a long time. That's just art, the difficulty curve is insane.
You should learn drawing first if you can, but it's not necessary. If you don't like drawing and can't learn to enjoy it, if having to learn to draw means you won't ever sculpt, then skip it. You need to have a passion because of said difficulty curve.
>I kinda want to have a project I can work on though.
that can help, but it can also be a waste of time that impedes progress. Better to work on lots of very small projects. With a big project that is way above your skill level, you'll probably end up "mud mixing", moving things back and forth with no clarity, making marks without thought, being unable to visualise anything or make anything "feel right". You'll be starting over a bunch, or holding on tight to a small something good you made by accident without realising that the sculpt has fundamental problems you don't know how to fix, like the bridge of the nose looks good but nothing else does.
You could easily spend a few months overworking a sculpt like that, and get an alright result by the end of it. And then the next time you sculpt it'll be the same thing.
But if you practice on lots of small things, building up understanding slowly, you'll be able to make consistent good things in a few hours instead of months.
A big project can be a good motivator, but don't get too attached.
>>
>>976782
>But you can get good at sculpting, just be realistic.

What path should I go if I have 0 art skills right now? Like I can only draw stick men.
>>
>>976784
if you want to improve you have to learn anatomy really really well. If you dont want to improve you wont learn anatomy
>>
>>976791
dumb question but how exactly do you learn anatomy? you dont mean going through a medical book right?
>>
>>976792
get greys at the tail end of your journey. Get anatomy books tailored towards artists to start
>>
>>976782
The proko drawing basics series on youtube is probably a good place to start. It doesn't actually matter where you start too much. If you like anime then draw goku. Just draw what you're into. It's way more important to gain enthusiasm and interest right now. Art is about learning every day, and you need to know that you can learn every day and to look for opportunities to learn. They're everywhere! Get a sketchbook and start drawing all the time.
Photography is a good way to train your eye too. A phone is plenty good enough, just try to take nice interesting pictures. it helps to keep your brain in an artistic mindset.
You can open up blender and zbrush and play with it too, look up tutorials, flippednormals is good.
Get your youtube algo to just show you art tutorials and watch them for fun instead of fail compilations of whatever you might watch now.
The most important thing is don't get discouraged when you suck.

>>976792
drawing musclemen
https://anatomy4sculptors.com/
the pdfs here are really good. You can find them on rutracker
Burne Hogarth's dynamic anatomy is really good too.
There's a lot of good anatomy textbooks for artists, just make sure you accidently buy a scam book full of AI renderings. You can't use AI for reference because you can't trust it to be right, and you can't trust yourself to know when it's wrong.

>>976793
>gray's
lmao don't fall for that meme, that book is useless for artists. It's a book you have to show off your interest. It's not at all useful for reference. Pages and pages and pages of text, and half the diagrams are cross sections of nerve cells or ovaries or whatever. The stuff that could be useful to learn from is in orthographic views. I've had a copy for probably 10 years and I haven't reached for it once. There's stuff you can learn from it, sure, but it's never going to be a convenient book for artists.
>>
>>976795
>>976784
meant to reply to this
>>
>>976795
do not listen to this guy, he doesnt know what he is talking about. Proko is a joke, so is hogarth.
>>
>>976799
pyw
>>
You need to become a Hustlers University scholar

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.