[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: a.jpg (90 KB, 807x450)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
how can i recreate 90s style 3d renders in modern blender? i know i could just learn bryce3d but i don't want to. ive heard eevee has phong shading but i can't find it.
>>
>>976502
I was a sperm not giving a fuck about existence before I barreled into the egg like a fucking asshole and have suffered ever since
>>
>>976502
>what is 3dmax scanline render?
>>
>>976502
>i know i could just learn bryce3d
I'm sorry for the meme answer but unironically just learn bryce3d, it's the easiest software I've ever learned and it was made for literal children to fuck around in, you should be able to start creating shit you want in one evening
>>
>>976537
>>976502
Blender and bryce3d won’t ever get the results you wanted. Both software lack the rendering capabilities necessary to produce the bad rendering results.
>>
>>976540
>rendering capabilities necessary
>to produce the bad rendering results
>>
>>976540
bryce3d is unironically deep as fuck. you got filtered
>>
File: 1704840146921304.png (2.52 MB, 1925x1442)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB PNG
Since their rendering engine has hardly changed since the 90s just use basically any version of 3DS MAX, preferably an older one. It's basically SOVL right out of the box.
>>
>>976502
>this fucking thread again
Why don't we get the "software purist" in here while we're at it?
>>
>>976502
Code up your own engine in OpenGL at this point. There's tutorials online
>>
>>976619
This was the second one I ever used, after Sculpt Animate on Amiga.
>>
>>976502
Lmao can't belive this software (Seamless 3D) still being updated noawadays. You should check it.
https://www.seamless3d.com/
>>
>>976876
Realtime OpenGL graphics won't give you that 90s prerendered look.
>>
>>976502
Quick googling says the image has been created with povray.
Just use that, it still works on modern computers.
You can also use it to render scenes you've made in blender.
https://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_POV-Ray_with_Blender

That will give you exactly the same look (given you learn to use povray)
>>
>>977861
the autist is still on it for almost 2 decades now. he's like cris but actually based AND have a working product that he could be proud of.
>>
>>977908
Not OP but povray is my next focus. Got filtered by the blender add on version so just going to try it stand alone for now.
>>
>>976502
A lot of that classic 90's style is the lack of modern tone mapping. Modern Blender uses some kind of filmic tonemapper (filmic blender, ApX, ACES all do this) which desaturates highlights. Classic graphics don't do this which leads to that unique "fake" look.
You should be able to achieve this look pretty much entirely in the Compositor, using "convert color space" nodes.
>>
>>978840
this.
old cg doesnt gives a fuck about correct gamma calculation. also its the reason why constant ambient light is needed to "correct" the midtones.
>>
File: file.png (1.09 MB, 960x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>978843
It's even easier than messing around in Compositor. Literally just setting the View Transform in the Color Management to "Raw" will do it. You don't even need to re-render, either, since tonemappers themselves use Raw data when they adjust colors.
It really is amazing how effective tonemapping is at selling compelling lighting. I've only been dabbling in 3D for the past week or so but I've been doing color-managed digital art for a while, now, and it's just as effective there as it is here, while allowing for comparatively simple Multiplicative shading setups, now unlike that of a deferred lighting engine.
>>
>>976502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8A8jwE_AB0
>>
>>980297
You will not get good results using this
>>
>>981283
this

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.