[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (647 KB, 866x416)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
WARNING this subject is purged by the mods for no fucken reason whatsoever!

Yes the VR schizo can make a thread and shitpost every day however mention this modeling technique will get your thread PURGED!!!!!!!!!

So I want to ask others about "Lattice Modeling" I have a old paper book taking about how to use blender and Lattice Modeling ism mentioned there and I got great results by using it. Forget sculpting take a cube and a sphere and simply start modeling it with a Lattice with voxel remesher this is infnetly better.

I wanted to know what others know about this modeling subject and for others to post video tutorials on this subject.

Looks like a old and great way to model rounded machines and cars, because subsurface modeling is literal cancer.

Lets see if the mods purge this thread while we get daily shit posts about the garbage that is photogrametry.
>>
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/deform/mesh_deform.html
Read the paper that's linked at the bottom of the page.
>>
And also this:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/deform/laplacian_deform.html

They're both modernized versions of the lattice idea. I know they're being used in production for facial animations but I haven't spent much time trying to model something with those.
>>
>>978159
>but I haven't spent much time trying to model something with those.
I have a paper book that teaches you how to use a OLD version of blender. Like the OLD OLD OLD version.
And most of it is obsolete LOL @ how primitive blender used to be with its light tricks.

However it mentions using the latice to model a fork.
I did this in modern blender and with voxel remesher it is fucken amazing.

I was thinking if there are good resources for this type of modeling. Because voxel is a game changer since you can give yourself more geometry.
Sculpting feels like a pain in the ass for organic car/robot modeling with its masking and shit brushes however lactic feels so free and perfect.

I wanted to research this type of modeling.
Did all the old stuff teaching about it got deleted or hidden by YT?
>>
>>978162
Dobarro's voxel remesher is a game changer for Blender. That's why the jannies are trying to hide it or have it removed because it cuts into their all-quads subdivision mesh cult of death.

I think there aren't many resources for modeling with lattices because it's something simple and non-controversial, so people don't argue about it and it gets forgotten.

Give the Laplacian Deform modifier a try. I just did and it's really good.
>>
>>978164
>so people don't argue about it and it gets forgotten.
Why did the 4chan mods purge the last thread bout it then?

>it's something simple
Even more simpler modeling techniques have lots of discussion about it.

>Give the Laplacian Deform modifier a try.
I literally did :D
In blender :D

I want to see what others did with it.
PS: The Blender lattice modifier is stuck in 1995!

>No mirror option
>Can not select edges
>Can not grow the selection
>>
File: file.png (145 KB, 559x334)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>978153
>>978159
>>978162
>>978164
>>978165
I made this quick starship model in Blender 4.0 using mostly the lattice modifier and then only used sculpt mode to make smooth some areas.

There are some un expected behaviors from the lattice and you need to mirror it on the X by hand after you finish however the results look great. If only there where better resources or tricks to it.....

IT took me ~30 minutes to make this.
>>
>>978151
What you are mentioning is something from days long gone, an era before Maya and Blender existed. It’s forgotten in film and art but 3D Printing makes sense for this method. I think there’s is one software that currently exists with what you want to know. I have too look into it. As to why we moved to box and script, it’s kinda obvious because we have more control over it and offer more 3D looks than the lattice ways.
>>
File: laplacian_deform.jpg (89 KB, 589x542)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>978165
>lattice modifier is stuck in 1995
Because it was superceded by Mesh Deform and then by Laplacian deform.
>>
>>978167
Don't you a have a furry sculpt to retopo or something? Can't you leave us alone to discuss interesting stuff for 5 minutes?
>>
>>978167
>we have more control over it
I disagree.
If you want to make cars or star ships then the more control = make ugly uneven shit that you need to be extra careful to not make look like trash and then smooth in sculpt mode.

>As to why we moved to box and script,
What do you mean script?
Box modeling looks like cancer.

I get nice rounded shapes with lattice.
> before Maya and Blender existed
interesting.
Yet I literally have this old book mentioning how to model and talking about this.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (36 KB, 640x480)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
So basically with Laplacian Deform, you take any mesh, add a vertex group and you weight paint it so that 0 means the vertex won't move and 1 means it'll fully go to destination. Should be the same idea as a sculpting mask.
Then you add the modifier, bind it, approximately move the vertices around and when you're done you apply the modifier.
And then you do it all over again until the desired shape is reached.
That's my understanding for having tried it twice in total. It should be capable of doing anything that the lattice modifier can do but without having to deal with the cage mesh.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (46 KB, 640x480)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
It works similar to Corrective Smooth with Shape Keys, but it's much higher quality. Unfortunately, it loses volume just as well as Corrective Smooth does, but it's still very cool.
>>
>>978166
>IT took me ~30 minutes to make this.
30 mins, jesus. You could get this shape in like 3 by pushing around a few verts with subsurf on.
>>
>>978211
>30 mins, jesus. You could get this shape in like 3 by pushing around a few verts with subsurf on.
Post your video/webm.

I wait.
>>
File: Super Epic Spaceship.jpg (563 KB, 2075x874)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>>978273
Yeah, took 2-3 mins.
Took a cube, subdivided it once in edit mode, deleted one half and mirrored, turned on proportional editing, added subsurf, grabbed the front middle vert and scaled down to get the verts around it to make a point, moved those forward to make the node, did the same with the wings, flattened out the bottom a bit, and moved a vert down near the back to make the hump.
It's an extremely simple shape. The fact that you think it takes 30 mins to make it says a lot about you. And the fact that you probably won't believe this takes a significant amount less than that without a video says even more. Seems to me like you're looking for "super secrit" workflows/techniques to circumvent learning actual skill and technique (even if this shit is extremely basic).

Lattices still have their place when it comes to deforming cartoony characters and faces, but its implementation in Blender is extremely basic. As in, it was implemented to the point that you could deform an object, but that's it. Same story for NURBS, they got the surface to display and some bare-bones editing, but nothing actually useful for modelling.
>>
>>978166
>>978280
what the fuck would this shape even be used for
this is the most useless example ive ever seen

when is a client ever gonna ask for this turbo smoothed sharktooth shape? i think never
>>
>>978292
Not really the point though, dude bragged about it "only" taking half an hour with lattice like it was some magical timesaving feat. Whether or not the shape is useful wasn't really the point. There's been threads back in the day with "useless" shapes that anons couldn't make to save their lives.
Besides, it kinda reminds me a bit of the Naboo starship.
>>
File: file.png (598 KB, 1000x425)
598 KB
598 KB PNG
>>978292
>what the fuck would this shape even be used for
Futuristic starship.
> this turbo smoothed
See picture.
>>
>>978280
>Yeah, took 2-3 mins.
Post the WebM I'm waiting.
You can skip the obvious things like subdividing and positioning it for the mirror.
>>
>>978310
Ah, my apologies. My timing was wrong, it wasn't 2-3 mins, it was 1.
Here's your video since your lone braincell apparently can't fathom such a simple shape being simple to model.
https://files.catbox.moe/q8n2i5.mp4
Hell, I wasn't even rushing. I even made some mis-clicks a few times, which means that you can shave that time down to 45 seconds or so. Or just keep the 1 min time if you factor in mirroring/subsurface.
So again, remind me why you were bragging about "~30 mins"?
>>
>>978309
see but this spaceship requires more details
so you are gonna need to do some subD or nurbs modeling anyways

might as well start of with that so you dont have to redo the topology.
and if you were to redo the topology in the end you might as well have sculpted it in zbrush
>>
>>978312
Just say sorry you were wrong.
>>
>>978314
say sorry that there is in fact a shape that can be made with this method?
I'm still not sold on it, but maybe its just not a technique that fits into my workflow

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.