[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Learning to 3d model has always been my creative end game as a graphic designer, but like everything other form of visual art, I feel like once I get good it won't matter because it'll all be automated by AI. This has already happened with my 2D illustrations, with people thinking it's AI (pic rel) even though I spent a day meticulously drawing it.

Should I try 3d modelling or have I just missed the boat at this point?
>>
>>987145
we are still a generation away from the best computers in the world being able to create animated movies from a simple prompt, which means we are 5 or 6 generations away from bringing that tech to the consoomer. there has literally never been a more critical time to get into 3d modeling. The earlier you get in on something the better. but no in 100 years 3d modeling will be obsolete, but over the next 20 or 30 years 3d modeling will become vastly more important.
>>
>>987149
thats a reassuring thought but how can we rule out the prospect of 3D Midjourney coming out in less than a year
>>
>>987151
if there is anything in this world that i could give less of a shit about, it would be midjourney
>>
>>987153
it sucks, I agree, but theres no escaping that people are using it to replace commercial illustrators and that's why im moving away from graphic design. My latest fear is that they'll come for 3D and music next.
>>
Don't stop doing stuff just because "something can do it better", do it because you like to create. Find a place where people appreciate that you did something yourself no matter the end product and you'll be able to prosper.

No matter how much an AI improves, it'll never be able to give you the enjoyment you get from doing things yourself.
>>
File: 401252.jpg (136 KB, 1500x1500)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
3D modeling can make you a better 2D artist. I use 3D software to make simple models and set up scenes for reference to make sure I get the perspective and lighting correct. It's similar to using a wood mannequin for anatomy. Even basic 3D modeling skills go a long way to helping 2D art.
>>
>>987145
If it's money you want, you'd be hard pressed eventually
>>
>>987149
>100 years is code for 7 years
>>
>>987145
Drawing and modeling are just labor. There are tons of workflows and functions within any asset production pipeline that will rely on human judgement and communication. Giving up on 3d modeling just because of AI is an overreaction.

Honestly reminds me of how people in the 90s used to say Excel will make accountants obsolete because its capable of automating repetitive mechanical tasks.

And if you just want to learn as a hobby, then by all means keep practicing. Art isn’t going to die out just because some pajeet learned to use a plagiarism database.
>>
>>987145
Where can I see your other stuff?
Like your style, remids me of italo disco covers
>>
>>988756
>OOOOOHHHH BABY WE'RE GONNA LOVE TONIGHT.

Yeah I love Italo disco and that airbrush style is exactly what inspires me. I'm glad someone noticed.
>>
>>987145
please stop with the ai threads holy fucking shit
>>
>>987145
You're trying to ask us a question that only you can answer but you're also telling us how much of a loser you are and unwilling to put in actual work. If you enjoy the process, then who gives a flying fuck. If you're that worried about AI, then you're not only a fucking idiot but someone who is isn't willing to try and just do something rather that worrying about the bullshit. Stop being a little bitch and just do something creative.
>>
>>987156
the physical world is a pathway to many artforms some consider to be non-automatable
>>
>>989083
These are losers that never would make it in general. It's pretty much useless to engage and they're lost causes in the scheme of things cause they are first rate failures. They just have excuses more than actual motivation. They're the first ones to give up rather than adapt.
>>
>>989083
>some consider to be non-automatable
grong it is indeed automatable, the question is if the mega rich would fall for it
>>
>>987145
>Is there even any point in posting here? Cris?
>>
>>989083
5 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKiZPf4TZQs

last year: https://youtu.be/Cr7S7fcYArI?t=9
>>
>>987145
>doing things based on what other people think and not for yourself
>implying that because AI can make something better than you (it can't) and getting upset and talking about quitting is any different to seeing a person who can make something better than you (they can) and getting upset and talking about quitting

Unironically NGMI mentality.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.