[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pic_1.png (504 KB, 1280x720)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
From what I'm hearing it's that the 3D job market has dried up and things are looking bad right now. In the US everything is being downsized and offshored to India, Canada, and Europe. So finding a job in the US at this point seems rather difficult. I'm happy to take anything, but long term I want to work in games and make my own games and animations. Pic related is something I made for school, hope you think it's cool.
>>
>>987720
Shits absolutely fucked. American creative industry is dead, you're better off doing trades. It's highly improbably you'll find a job.
>>
>>987720
extremely competitive. Unless you can make realistic character sculpts/models with amazing texturing and good rendering you aren't going to make it. Theres 50 00000 laid off global AAA seniors jobless who are fighting for a seat even junior pusitions.
No one needs pixel-trannies, low poly and anything else other than cinema quality models is looked down upon by the market.
>>
>>987720
Honestly? It's sad but I think it's better to work a regular non-creative job and do what you enjoy on the side. It's just too high effort. A sculptor I watched is currently mindbroken because he realized that if he spent a fraction of the time he invested getting good into something like construction work, he would probably own a small company by now.
If you're young, university and under, get a job as soon as possible, it doesn't matter if it's retail or fast food. Having work experience under your belt will show that you're employable, even if it's minimum wage.
>>
>>987720
Fully saturated, AI is coming into play and starting to displace a lot of work and as it get progressively better
you thus have more and more competent people fighting about fewer and fewer human-relevant positions that are left.

It's only gonna amp up from here. Thing is there are no sectors where this isn't gonna be the case going forward.
Anyone who does something on a computer is just in the frontline of this replacement.

In digital art particularly the bar to pass for commercial work is getting much too high for anyone currently starting out today
to ever pass before humans will be made irrelevant for anything within that field.

Going forward humans will have to learn to do things for their own enjoyment, not because any value it'll have to someone else.
>>
>>987802
>>987807
All I want to do is work creatively. It's the only thing I can envision myself doing. I physically can't work a manual labor Job. At this point I don't know what to do with my life and thing I feel like It's unavoidable to just end up working a job I hate.
>>
>>987811
You're not alone in that position. There are no easy answers and there is great uncertainty at what rate jobs will be destroyed due to automation.
AI advances doesn't not follow a liner progression but it's this random size step-function what sort of new capabilities emerge within
the better trained models just due to scaling.

We're currently living thru the 4th industrial revolution and everyones lives on this planet will change as a result of it over the course of our life time.
But if this is a dragged out slow take-off process and we have multiple decades of drawn out labor displacement ahead or if it will all happen in one savage blow
over the coming couple of years is currently a big question mark even to the people who stand at the apex of driving this development.

If I was young today I would advice myself to get any job ASAP and work that just to build up a reserve and pursue what I really love as a hobby.
Likely you will live thru a time of great displacement of labor when there will be those who have and those have not in a way few ever experienced in the western world.
>>
>>987838
>cont

Eventually this will lead to collapse of the consumer economy and some sort of financial security like UBI will be implemented, but before getting there all
of us are likely gonna pass thru a hellscape where most places will start to look more and more like Detroit after the collapse of the auto industry.
This is because there will be a lot of voters who will experience increased material success due to the partial automation who can acquire a lot of the cheap goods available at affordable prices to those who still have an income and they will consume amongst themselves while they have yet to be displaced by the machines.
Before a critical point is reached where enough voters are out on their ass that government is elected on mandate do rectify the situation
by socializing ownership of production we're likely gonna deal with a very dark chapter of 'late state capitalism gone wrong'.

If you're young today your mission is just to attempt to thrive/survive as best as you can while our civilization pivots across the fulcrum towards free labor.
In the post-scarcity world discovering intrinsic values like pursuing ones creativity are prob gonna be key to keep us sane as you're otherwise irrelevant.
>>
>>987811
>I physically can't work a manual labor Job
Of course you can, don't be silly, and stop imagining that it's not physically demanding to work a creative job
A job is a job
>>
>>987840
No I mean my back and knees are fucked and I can barely walk.
>>
Unless you're GOD theyd rather hire an indian.
Make your own stuff, cultivate an audience, crowd fund.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.