[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm a commercial illustrator and one thing I hate about actual illustration is it takes so long just to do one project and everything has to be lit, textured and drawn laboriously and even then you've only got one fixed perspective.

3D has always been an endgame for me because it frees me from all these constraints, but also because it seems people can make stuff really fast with it. Is it true that it's quicker in that respect, I only want to do basic vaporwave type stuff like this, nothing too involved.
>>
yes, you can easily model that in blender and take renders from any position. but you need to do uv'ing and plant the textures in. UVs are not hard or time consuming.

dynamic lights or an sun object will lit your scene automatically and you can move them around. if u need help hit me up again
>>
>>988084
you could take screenshots of your 3d renders and illustrate over them in photoshop or smth. to save time
>>
>>988081
It depends how good/fast of an illustrator you are of course, but in general, assuming similar levels of expertise in the given field, you'll paint a single image faster, than you'll model/texture/light/render/composite an entire environmental scene. The advantages of 3D mostly become apparent when you need repetition, as in multiple angles or animation, a particularly repetitive background, and similar stuff. So it of course also depends on the background and complexity required for props and so on as well. For example, that image you posted, looks rather laborious to draw, but would be fast to do in 3D. The only thing that I could see taking time in that image is the grandfather clock.

>>988085
This is almost always just counterintuitive and a waste of time, for any illustrator who's at a professional level.
>>
>>988104
but you're assuming he'd model the grandfather clock not just import an asset. grabbing assets throwing them in a scene and rendering is definitely faster than illustrating.

>>988081
also shut the fuck up, we used to do this shit with an airbrush and ink pens.
>>
>>988105
That is of course a separate matter. Of course, if you're using premade assets, it's going to be faster. But depending on the project, that might not be an option.
>>
>>988105
>muh we had it worse
Narcissistic nigger-boomer
>>
>>988081
It's faster as long as you're not modeling and rigging characters.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.