[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: YCX54Nffuys-HD.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Maybe dumb question, but for character animation is it better to sculpt the character and then retopo or simply model it, and why?
>>
is it better to shit than to piss
>>
>>988206
I'm so autistic that when I studied CGI I made my own way of modeling realistic faces using spiky triangles and smoothing modifier on top, my then classmate fren was tripping balls and his mind was full of fuck, sad that I didn't continue that path 2bh
>>
>>988206
I'd argue it's generally faster to sculpting and then retopo, but when it comes to animation specifically the approach doesn't matter much as long as the topology is good for animation in the end.
>>
>>988206
> simply model it
in my experience it's a lot more difficult to 'simply model' a head than to sculpt and retopo. You need to know what you're doing to model it, whereas with sculpting you can just figure it out as you go and only worry about topology once you've made all the creative decisions.
I honestly feel like sculpting and retopoing is a much superior workflow for most high-detail characters, it's what everyone in the 3d industry uses I think.
But if you're doing a fairly generic character and you know what you're doing, pure modeling can certainly work well
(t. hobbyist, I have no professional 3d experience)
>>
>>988206
It doesn't matter, if the topology is good it's the same.
Do whatever is easier for you
>>
>>988206
Box modelling to final geometry makes sense if your mesh is fairly low poly and will be heavily subdivided, like 4-6 levels of subdiv. The reason to do this is with careful planning you can make models with low amounts of verts that look higher resolution than they are, compared to retopologized models.
The model in the thumbnail has too many polys for that so it's pointless.
>>
>>988206
why does topology even matter? why can't computers just figure it out if they're so smart. it's literally just dots connected by lines, how hard can it be. fucking scam.
>>
>>988376
where do you draw the line, what are some examples of models that you'd prefer to sculpt instead of modeling?
>>
>>988383
nta but I sculpt everything. What I imagine is you could possibly boxmodel extremely low poly characters, like those 200 poly anime girls.

You still need normal map details to project it onto your low poly model which only comes from a highly detailed sculpt or you stylize and handpaint everything which is just more laborious.
>>
>>988383
If the geometry can be defined using smooth surfaces and you don't need details.
Like mentioned anime characters, or anything stylized is a good choice.
Another factor is if it's supposed to be actually low poly, either for stylistic choice or performance, say models part of a crowd.
Clothing made out of leather and shoes, hats, belts, etc.. is also excellent to box model.
Inanimate objects in general.
Only there if it's technology, gadgets, some other man made objects I'd go even further and use CAD and export as a mesh for the asset.
>>
>>988206
it should be illegal to make something this ugly
>>
>>988206
Happy pride month
>>
do you guys use Bsurfaces to retopo?
>>
>>988206
it depends on what I'm doing but I like to sculpt so I can define the shape in 3D space without thinking about topology
but that doesn't matter for stylized characters because the shape is simple and the topology is already determined

>>988734
I do it the old fashioned way, F and snap skinwrap, but I don't do it everyday
>>
>>988734
No
>>
Sculpt then retopo. You can always bake a normal/height map from the sculpted model so that you can keep finer details.
Its also much easier to clean up edge flow and topology on a low poly model than a sculpted one
>>
>>988381
this guy HATES animators
>>
Sculpt and retopo is good if you're working out the shape of something but end of the day, it's the same result. So if you already know where everything should be and how it flows, it can be simpler to just make the thing with subdivision. Especially with simple styles like anime.
>>
>>988229
this is correct. op's thumbnail is to bait lazy adhd blendjeets or any other retard into this one superduper life hack which only takes 1 minute to do or cuts off a lot of work.

sculpting and comfortable retopoing will always be superior. and you get shipped with a free package of detailed normal maps.
>>
Is the built-in quad remesher from blender good enough for retopo?
>>
>>989940
The build-in quad remesher SUCKS, but if it's good enough for your requirements, that's great.
>>
>>988206
Just do whatever you find the most time-efficient to get the result you need.
>>
What do you guys think of bsurfaces and the annotation tool?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2GNyEUvpD4
>>
>>989521
do you guys just not know what subdivision is or...?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.