[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: XMlxJMO.gif (422 KB, 303x303)
422 KB
422 KB GIF
First post here ever and I have almost no experience 3D modeling, but I am trying to make content which will require some basic understanding of it. But the type of animations I need are extremely rudimentary, more symbolic representations of what I'm saying. This may seem strange but in short, what I need is some sort of software that will allow me to do basic animations such as a sphere rotating and/or moving around on a black plane. Another animation example I need specifically is a circle with a point that rotates cyclically around the shape of the circle.

So in other words, I don't need super complex animations but more just basic polygons in motion. Is Blender my best bet here? My buddy recommended SFM as well but based on what I've seen from SFM, it doesn't seem like it's the best program suited for my purposes.

I guess my final question is, how long would it take realistically to learn this level of 3D animation?

Pic related.
>>
>>988230
>Is Blender my best bet here?
idk, but it's more than capable of everything you described.
Once you know what you're doing you could make an animation like your pic related in probably ten minutes or less including rendering.
>how long would it take realistically to learn this level of 3D animation?
If you can find some good tutorials for stuff that resembles what you want to make, I assume you can get relatively proficient in a few days (albeit with big gaps in your knowledge that you can fill over time)
>>
>>988230
First off, blender sucks and it’s the number one cause of 3D mistakes. Second, there’s no way to learn all animations. All you can do is learn anything but Blender.
>>
>>988230
Yes, go with blender, there's millions of tutorials on basically everything.
>>
>>988239
Millions of outdated videos, all because Blender doesn’t announce changes to their software.
>>
>>988246
Even outdated videos are often still relevant if you're willing to use your brain a little
>>
Okay, if not Blender then what? I appreciate the advice but would rather not get caught up on a software competition flame war
>>
>>988251
>would rather not get caught up on a software competition flame war
What you want to do is simple enough that practically any 3d program will work for it. There is pretty much no wrong way to go about it imo.
If you want something free, go find a free program and learn it. Or use a free Houdini license and learn to make cool procedural visualizations. If you're Christian, you can buy 3dcoat or use the free trial.
If you want to pay for a high quality industry-standard 3d program, go buy Maya.
If you're good with code, you can write a python script to directly output animation frames and then ffmpeg them into a video.
There is no single, definitive 'correct' way to create the art you have in mind. Anything will work, you just need to pick a program and learn how to use it.
>>
>>988251
Yes Blender, you can ignore anyone on this board who opposes Blender as a whole
>>
>>988248
That’s not a tutorial is supposed to mean. You’re not learning anything from Blender. Hundreds of people with similar experience and you just assume it’s not the development team problem. Blaming the students is blaming a baby who’s yet to be raised.

>>988260
Blender track history is always the bad guy. Who causes problems for everyone? Blender team. Who is responsible for documentation? Blender team. Features and bug fixes? Blender team. 4.0 is the worse version ever and I not going to stand here and let you lie about Blender flaws.
>>
>>988235
>>how long would it take realistically to learn this level of 3D animation?
2 hours and that's been generous.
>>
>>988246
Gladly blender is updated really often >>988285
Are you blaming developers for updating the software?
Anon, if you need an older version you can download it for free too.
Imagine if you can't update your software because a YouTuber made a tutorial.
>>
>>988316
Blender isn’t updated, it’s downgraded. Who in their right minds would modify common usage of tools and techniques just to delete it and alternate the memory process of millions of users. It’s only a matter of time until Blender realizes you don’t need shortcuts and deletes that program.
>>
>>988251
>>988230
just use blender, it's free and there are a ton of tutorials which is the most important thing.
That guy who hates blender is just a schizo.
>>
>>988329
>TuToRiAl
Is that all you have to say, you can’t come up with anything better. Everyone knows the old videos don’t answer questions and they don’t care about you. Saying Blender can do anything while failing at everything is just plain stupid.
>>
>>988347
Name one thing blender can't do
>>
>>988351
CAD “Computer-aided design”, Maya, 3Dmax, Hudini and many others not specifically designed for CAD design are not available for miniature models.
>>
>>988355
Of course the CAD fag is back, get a load of yourself bum
>>
>>988356
Everyone knows Blender can’t do CAD and requires mods to make it happen. It’s not like the developers are going to offer CAD like tools because they’re not professionals.
>>
>>988377
with the 4.2 update it has native parametric cad modelling. I've been playing with the beta quite a bit and it works better than autoCAD.
>>
File: straight piss.gif (559 KB, 785x650)
559 KB
559 KB GIF
>>988230
I'd ask first if you actually need 3D animations. For as simple as you describe you could just use whatever 2D software that does frames - Clip Studio Paint for example. If you don't actually need the camera to move, if you don't actually need the objects to be 3D or interact or whatever. 2D animation has been around since Flash was called Director.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.