[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does anyone here use 90s texture packs?
>>
>>989722
Why would I use low res outdated garbage?
>>
>>989739
Seconding this

>>989722
There's absolutely no reason to use any low-fidelity tools/medium or "style" when computers in this modern day and age are capable of near perfection that simply isn’t possible with older tools.

It’s sort of the same thing with drawing and painting. I mean no disrespect to people who do these things traditionally, but digital art is capable of a greater degree of perfection and cleanliness that is only a computer is capable of achieving. Why do you think nearly every industry artist on Artstation does digital? It’s because the best of the best chose not to let their tools hinder the quality of their art.
>>
>>989722
SOUL
>>
>>989744
>/3/ realtard is mentally incapable of comprehending sovl

Many such cases...
>>
>>989744
>Why do you think nearly every industry artist on Artstation does digital?
Beause they can't do it any other way. 99% of trending artstation posts are completely uninspired cookie cutter art styles and motives because the only "inspiration" the artist had is "Wouldn't this look good in <fotm game>". Almost the entire front page of Artstation is CoD, Elden Ring, Overwatch.
>>
>>989722
is..is that....dare i say, S-S-S-SOVL?????????????????

uhhh ughhh UGHHHH SSOUVL!!!!

aaaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAaaaa SSSSOOOOVLLLLLLLL SOVL SOVL SOVL SOVL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohh! OHHH OHHH GOD Im SOVVVLLINGGG!!!!!!

SOVL!
O
U
L
!
SOVL!
O
U
L
!
SOVL!
O
U
L
!
>>
>>989722
I've used these quite a lot, specifically to try and replicate a retro look since a lot of the textures are the very same ones that game developers of the time would use
check out Render96, Pixar 128 and Pixar 130

https://github.com/Render96/Render96Wiki/wiki/Texture-Library-Previews
>>
File: jjjs8.png (216 KB, 2483x325)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>downloaded this
>had an absolute fucking ton of 90s-00s stuff, 4GB worth
>now there's fuck all in the folder
>can't find it anywhere, old PC died
FUCK FUCK FUCK

https://warosu.org/3/thread/711118#p724028
>>
>>990380
The 7z file is working for me? I just downloaded it.
>>
>>990380
https://archive.org/details/3_Old_stuff/3%20anon%20old%20stuff/90s_explosion_stock_footage/Pyrocover.jpg
I FOUND IT??
>>
>>990437
fuckin based, this is it, thanks
>>
>>989722
>>990472
curious, what are you going to do with it?
>>
>>989739
>>989744
>Why
because art is a process
the art I like is influenced by a thousand choices, constraints, and accidents
I like to understand the hardware limitations
the tools used to produce the assets
and, yes, the texture packs that were commonly used and widely available
doesn't mean I will use them in any final product, but it will help me understand how these aesthetics emerged
it's like reading about how the old masters created their paints
what pigments were available,
why certain colors were common, why other were reserved for special paintings or sections
I'm never gonna order dry oyster powder and minx anal gland gel to make my own renaissance violet grey, but now I know and appreciate when I see it and I can use that knowledge to achieve that look if I want

or you can do what any other idiot does and just google "ps1 filter" and slap on some bullshit vertex wobbling and vhs post processing on top of a 100 million polygon scene with dynamic lighting
>>
>>990521
You have a very surface level worldly normie understanding of art cris

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.