[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1699645675001835.jpg (41 KB, 600x337)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
How do you call this art style?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2017610/CORPUS_EDAX/
>>
slop....

On a serious not though, I dunno, source style?
>>
>>990421
derivative
>>
low effort nostalgia bait
but it's trying to go for that that early 2000s look of games running on quake 2 / unreal 1
the lighting and volumetric stuff is off and and not faithful to its era so it looks a bit weird
>>
dark
>>
>>990421
The art style developed for game like half-life is attempting to capture a certain mood with minimum resources.

It's styling is 'industrial dystopian' in nature and comes from genre defining films like Escape from New York, Robocop etc that shows
the action take place against a backdrop of non descript factories and concrete landscapes.

Real world Brutalist architecture (from french 'Béton brut' or 'raw concrete', nothing to do with brutality) is a source of inspiration for
a lot of the dystopian look as it's presented mainly in film, and some of that carries over to the games as well, tho more disconnected
from the real thing there as it's derivative from a derivative (looking at the film depiction instead of studying the source material).

It has had a hand in popularizing the concept of 'liminal spaces' as it often depicts these labyrinthian sprawling complexes of
nonsensical rooms to any sort of daily function outside teh scope of the video-game.

Urbex location scouting of various industrial abandonments is a huge inspiration too why you end up with all the 'retro-futurism' of these places
as only defunct facilities with outdated equipment are freely available to explore.
Many games end up having this unwarranted 'cold war aesthetic' for the same reason; ton of places in east Europe game developers and film location scouts
visit has this soviet era abandonment aesthetic that carries over into all kinds of videogames.

Further I'd argue this retro-shooter look has a an aspect of 'programmer art' to it being derived from processes that are formulaic and procedural in nature
as these environments originally had to be built inside editors with limited tool-sets dictating what one could reasonably do in any given timeframe.

TLDR: I'd call it 'Industrial Dystopian Retro Shooter'
>>
Just seems like Quake engine graphics to me.
>>
>>990421
forced soul
>>
>>990421
It reminds me a lot of late 90s early 2000s aesthetics.
Games like:
Deus Ex
Unreal Tournament
Sin
Kingpin
Max Payne
>>
>>990432
People not doing pixelart and lowpoly for nostalgia, having less detail has inherent value.
It's called minimalism.
It's easier for viewer's comprehension and allows to express more with less.
>>
File: file.png (787 KB, 1130x933)
787 KB
787 KB PNG
>>990629
you could shoehorn nostalgiafagging into a minimalism box, but if minimalism was the only concern then there's no reason to adopt retro aesthetics. you can pathtrace your way to low visual information if you really want to.
>>
>>990630
> you can pathtrace your way to low visual information if you really want to.
Idk what that means, but doing lowpoly and pixelart are some of the ways of minimalism and they are often done in a different way than people done in the past.
And that's only makes it more interesting imo, while some people just dismiss it and say it's "not faithful".
LMAO, it's not supposed to be faithful, it's not copying anything, it's just doing its own thing, I appreciate it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.