[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

So I took an animation course and modeling course for my art minor. Both courses specialized in cinema 4D. I wanted to learn Maya so I'm retaking the same animation course but this time it's with Maya. The instructor said however it was a more art focused course and we weren't going to be going deep into the technical aspect of the Maya program. And a lot of what we learned in class were literally covered in YouTube tutorials he posted. Plus my school actually has a lot of Maya tutorials that I can access via the library website. A part of me is thinking taking the course might be pointless and I can just learn this stuff on my own and save my money on the course and focus on doing my major (non art related). Now there are some pros to the course. I did meet another student who showed me some cool things in Maya. I know I generally do better in a more structured learning environment and get more done. So I guess the class would be more worth just to interact with others, and I could say "I have experience with Maya". At the same time the class is expensive of course and I have to commute an hour to get to it. I don't need this course for my minor or major.

So should I stay with the class or just drop it and use the resources to learn the more technical aspects of the program or stick with it to be forced to complete some projects and work with others.
>>
>>993376
I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you don’t want to go too deep into 3D, or at least get into an adjacent industry, you can probably skip it.

However, you would get a student maya license which is free and have access to everything from the start with a watermark. So you would be able to get actual experience without paying their retard subscription fee
>>
>>993376
Maya is built for technical purposes and art as a separate entity. Yes you can build anything in Maya but so can Blender, Wings3D and Houdini. Your teacher is right, you don’t need to learn Maya if you’re not going through the technical level that makes up for the animation and coding skills.
>>
>>993376
I actually work in the industry 3d max or maya; blender is free but doesn't integrate into group workflows well
>>
>>993376
maya has a lot going on with it and it helps to take a class. Otherwise buy the official book and actually read it and actually do the exercises in it.
>>
>>993377
>>993379

I do want to get deep into 3D. I want to be an animator. I'm not in art school, I'm just picking up an art minor at my collage and trying to supplement that with learning on my own. And like I said I have taken this class before just with a different program. Though it seems that the lesson program is completely different and it's a different professor. But also it seems everything taught in this course is available on YouTube on the technical side of the program. My goal was just to learn about Maya.
>>
>>993376
I'd say do it. There aren't a lot of good, high quality Maya YouTube tutorials out there like there are for Blender so it would be worthwhile to take a class that specializes in it and so you can have a professor to help you out during office hours
>>
>>994089
Blender tutorials get outdated, requiring unsafe 3rd party plugins, super specific instructions and will break when the developers of Blender alter one version. The only thing Maya changes are for better quality or faster results in the industry. As many already pointed out, there’s enough of the basic UI for you to learn. You can click on the (?) for more information. Maya channel has a video showing how stuff works. Zero reason why you should go to school learning about functions.
>>
>>993376
>The instructor said however it was a more art focused course and we weren't going to be going deep into the technical aspect of the Maya program
What does that even mean, really?
That you learn how to extrude and you're left to your own devices, trying to sculpt geometrically with basic knowledge of the program?

I'd take it if you're a bad solo learner, otherwise I'd consider finding some deeper youtube tutorialists that can teach you, say, the high-poly+lod0+baking pipeline.
>>
bilibili has insane maya tutorials but they're all in chinese, sadly american sites like youtube have been reduced by the dilettante serving algorithm to blendering idiots

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.