[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: deodricus.png (185 KB, 985x681)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
I'm lacking in motivation, however.

Advice?
I have 2 hours left to get busy.
>>
>>31129234
look at an object around you and build a story or concept on it
>see weird baby face doll when scrolling thrift site
>drew monster based around that
it can be anything, it helps if you have a jumping off point
>>
>>31129425
I'm not skilled enough for that.
Otherwise a good idea

I'll just put it off for tomorrow.
>>
>>31129438
you cant make like a pen or rectangle into a shitty cartoon character grinning or something? I mean doodling is the best practice. I can make like one good drawing after making 10 shitty doodles and wasting paper and pen ink. I dont even draw anymore but thats how you put something together. maybe build up your visual library by watching movies or reading comic books, novels, daydreaming, etc.
>>
>>31129502
>you cant make like a pen or rectangle into a shitty cartoon character grinning or something?
Not really, no. I can't get anything out of my imagination onto the paper. I can sometimes make stuff that looks sorta somewhat interesting by just bruteforcing shapes that i know.
>maybe build up your visual library by watching movies or reading comic books, novels, daydreaming, etc
Doing all of it. My biggest issue is the lack of self-discipline and motivation. I don't draw a whole lot so i'm very bad at it as a result.
I also tend not to observe the things i watch very closely. I've read through the entirety of JoJolion today and i can hardly recall a single panel beyond the basics of composition.
>>
>>31129522
why are you even interested in drawing? you don't have to show anyone so you don't need to make excuses. if you enjoy it just doodle, don't be hard on yourself, read and watch things, daydream about scenarios, look at art, learn to observe things, you could even start with still lifes which can be a good exercise. You know I didnt truly fall in love with drawing until I used charcoal for the first time. Sometimes the medium you use is also important and can make you more passionate about learning/drawing. What do you find interesting about drawing, is it techniques, media, or maybe just something to do? I'm asking without any malicious or mocking intent btw because its text so I know its hard to get the intention.
>>
draw!
>>
>>31129839
>why are you even interested in drawing?
It's literally just that anytime i see a cool piece/series i can't help but want to make something as cool as what i've just witnessed.

I think that's what most "creative" people get.
Especially since a lot of the stuff that i'd like to make is very much so feasible and not all that high tier.
As to what i find interesting it's mostly two things
>The ability of a skilled artist to make seemingly miniscule things appear impressive just by the virtue of having done them for a long long time.
>The ability to convey a tight and concise bundle of information in a rather limited manner
P much how Araki does it with the crazy poses.
All you need is just one panel and you instantly more or less know the whole deal of a given character as well as whatever's going through their mind at the moment. This applies to side villains too oddly enough.
A specific example would be p5 Pesci and how he appears pre and post his bro's death.

It's just cool that you can characterize these characters in so many ways visually with clothing, gait, facial expression etc all at once.
It's very different from how a book would go about the same thing. And in case the characters current motivation is explicitlu stated all the extra stuff just works to enchance the vibe.

Also it's just fun.
>>
>>31134387
>Araki
interesting style for a manga artist
it reminds me of fashion sketches..though i hate the same faces only in different genders.
But what do you think of the JoJolion Comic?

if you lack motivation you can start small.
like take your deodricus for example and place him somewhere in the JoJolion universe? let it bite someone?
>>
>>31134563
>But what do you think of the JoJolion Comic?
The mystery angle is great, the issue is that it takes up so much time that the meat and bones of stand battles tends to get lost in it all at times.
None of the Higashikata family use their abilities in a meaningful manner more than once excluding Jobin/Tsurugi.
Also the Go Beyond was kind of a bs. The ending itself doesn't feel all that impactful either

It was a very fun read but i prefer the vibes and characters of p4 Morioh much more.
>>
>>31134563
>>31134595
Also, Deodricus for some reason feels like it would be Joshu's spirit animal.
Maybe i should doodle something in that direction
>>
>>31134595
i will check it out and see what i think of that, thx
btw, do you too have this feeling that youre "going crazy" when reading?
Like sometimes the feeling that what you read feels real?
why of course i know it isnt. but the feeling is. you know what i mean?

>>31134600
post it when youre done. Im feeling to weak to doodle, i would just do it too
>>
>>31134387
The one thing you have to understand is when you make something after being inspired, it will never be 1 to 1 but a version you made. I totally get trying to making something amazing after seeing a piece of art thats cool. But you shouldn't get discouraged by not being able to make something just like it.
You also say its fun, but make lots of excuses as to why you can't enjoy the fun parts of drawing, conceptualizing isn't that hard. You even explained how interesting it is when it comes to characters. Why not also read some books on story telling, concept art, and character design? Or watch a short series of classes about the topic on YouTube? If you enjoy it, justbdo basic exercises and don't give up trying to form your style of expression so you can make cool things.
You will never be happy with how a piece turns out completely, there's always a skill you can lack or technique. If you have fun, just do what you're already doing and enjoy it.
>>
>>31129234
Can you find some way to make it fun or low commitment? Like, say, practice drawing a subject you particularly find attractive or honing in on a particular weakness for a length of time you can manage like 15 minutes. Always try to make it fun.
>>
>>31129234
put one line on the page

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.