[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713906982653620.jpg (39 KB, 680x759)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Qrd on my situation:
>been living with roommates for past 5 years
>in this time they've gotten married and worked on their careers
>I graduated college but haven't found work outside of my current employer (wagie, $20k/yr retail)
>unable to save money due to COL

>ffwd to now
>roommate finds out she's pregnant w husband's kid
>our lease is almost up
>we need $3k to move into the next place
>haven't found time to catch up, let alone get ahead

I'm desperate to get out of this situation. I have effectively no network save for a single friend and my (separate) parents who don't have much to offer. I've gauged the cost of getting out this far as follows:
>Catching up on bills, repairs on vehicle, savings, health expenses: $6k
>Saving up for fixing and furnishing own place: $12k (or more if the place is more shrekt than I estimated)
>breaking lease: $6k (if done before kid is born)

This leaves me needing an income stream >$75k after taxes plus a short term side gig to break even in the next month. I really have absolutely no clue what I can do to get out of this with my current level of experience. I'd appreciate some input.
>>
>>31133245
Poor choices catch up with you eventually.
>>
File: 1712261297216357.jpg (25 KB, 750x607)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>31133256
I know it's my fault for not finding another job in the meantime. I'd been looking, but there wasn't much pressure to do so - I'd been planning on starting my farm after moving out, living out of the extra house on the shared family property, using the extra time there to work on building up skills for a better paying job for investments. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I feel no urge to do things unless there's pressure to, which doesn't tend to work out well.

Before we knew each other, I had been isolated from virtually all social contact (save a literal terrorist group) for two years in school (online, not COVID related). My father dragged me to another state without any warning right before my 18th birthday, where I met one of my current roommates while living in a chaotic shit hole (dog turds everywhere, black mold, roaches, mentally ill teen and kids, a literal retard, and nobody to watch them most of the time). I started college and had no idea what degree to pursue, so I picked something straightforward (agriculture). Eventually got kicked out of shit hole with father, father fucked off far away, leaving me with current roommates. Had to pick up a job to survive and finish studies, so I did. Been graduated for about a year and a half now, not sure how to continue with this shit going on as it stands. Not upset, but concerned.
>>
>>31133368
Well it seems you're not concerned enough. Nobody will support you. The good thing is you're still young, so there's still time to avoid becoming a total failure.
1) most people don't love doing things. Everyone needs to put in effort, you're not special in feeling lazy.
2) think about your perspective in 5 and 10 years if you don't change anything. And then consider what you can realistically do about it.

It seems you'll have to face some uncomfortable truths, better sooner than later, so consider the possibility that this is it. There's no second chance. This is your life, and it'll suck if you don't do something about it.
>>
>>31133424
>Well it seems you're not concerned enough.
Perhaps. I have little to no drive to do anything without some kind of pressure to reach a goal. I like to learn in my spare time, but that's about it.

>1) most people don't love doing things. Everyone needs to put in effort, you're not special in feeling lazy.
I understand. I'm trying not to become the husband here (31, still working the same job I am, making barely more save stock). My other roommate is doing something she wants to do, career wise, and I don't know how she found something she likes.

I don't mind effort whatsoever. That's why I came here to ask about other perspectives on the issue. I'm waiting on emails from delivery services / shopping middleman work to get the $3k, since job hunting won't return that quickly on investment. That's immediately after.

>2) think about your perspective in 5 and 10 years if you don't change anything.
That's part of why I've been looking to change things. I'm not inclined to be a deadbeat. I'd rather be homeless again at that point. It's why I learned about fitness and nutrition, and why I bothered looking for accelerated programs and certifications to diversify my skill set, so that I might attract potential employers. This was before the pregnancy and housing debacle unfurled before us.

>And then consider what you can realistically do about it.
It's the (realistically) part that makes this difficult to process. Because, realistically, there's nothing I can do to meet these targets in the given time frame, short of selling my dog, joining the military, and dying for nothing I care about. The job market is shit, my experience is nil, my network is non-existent, and my options are limited. If I force myself into a tight position, I should be able to work my way out of it - and there is a positive element to gruntwork: I'll have a set routine.
1/2
>>
>>31133544
>It seems you'll have to face some uncomfortable truths, better sooner than later, so consider the possibility that this is it. There's no second chance. This is your life, and it'll suck if you don't do something about it.

I already accepted that this is what it is. It is finding what to do about it that is the issue. As outlined above, I don't see many options. I have been checking job sites, talking with potential employers, and so far no options have revealed themselves based on these efforts. I did some career assessments while trashed (to avoid lying to myself) and the best results I got were "lol learn to code nigger". Which is something I should do, but don't know where to start on - so I've screen capped certs different orgs want to work towards in the meantime.
>>
>>31133245
Unironically I don't know how easy it is for you to do so, but if you can't go back to being a NEET then move somewhere else in the world where COL is lower.
>>
I finally found some worthwhile positions. Here's to hoping I'm able to lock one down

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.