[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1592338527806.png (160 KB, 249x299)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>currently entering 2nd year of university for CS
>did okay in courses so far, B- average in non electives
>intimidated by higher level math
>in CS purely for the money and work life balance, the work itself means nothing to me
>Canadian who would eventually like to immigrate to the USA and live in LA to pursue actual passion of acting
>overall an intelligent person with excellent people skills

Although pursuing a job relevant to a CS degree would definitely be one of the best ways to get into the US, I really don't know if I want to spend 80% of the rest of my life writing code. I've considered veering towards a more sales oriented job, but I still feel like I ought to get a degree of some kind. I'm also considering food science, while the salaries aren't as high as CS, it's a field that I find more interesting, but it would also be more difficult to find a job in the US with it.
My top priority is pursuing acting, so continuing with the CS degree is probably my best bet. Alternatively, there is the sales option, I've read as long as the company wants you there they can make it work.

What do you think, /adv/?
>>
>>31530077
>What do you think, /adv/?
You didn't mention where you're at in terms of acting career/talent. Have you been acting for a long time and are you preforming from time to time on a stage or in shows?

I think you need to analyze where you're at better before deciding.
>>
>>31530099
I’m confident in my ability as an actor, and have booked more roles this year than all my previous years. However, I don’t really think this is relevant, as the likelihood of anyone making a living as an actor is extremely unlikely. Essentially, it’s a hobby, and LA just has the most openings for practicing that hobby.
>>
File: 171908697498642420.jpg (75 KB, 720x797)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>31530077
https://voca.ro/19BVc8oashvQ
>>
>>31530077
I hope you can make it as an actor so you can get out of technology and leave us alone. People like you are the bane of CS and technology. B- is just average and furthermore if you don't care about it, you will never understand what it means to make good software. And then half the time you people end up as a project manager or scrum master or whatever. So no matter what, your existence in the world of CS will do nothing but make the lives of people who enjoy it worse. Fuck you and good luck with acting.
>>
>>31530298
Oh don’t worry, I am actively pursuing acting, I specifically chose a Vancouver university so that I could have more opportunities.
>>31530461
I appreciate you saying this anon, genuinely
>>
>>31530077
>would eventually like to immigrate to the USA and live in LA to pursue actual passion of acting
>>overall an intelligent person with excellent people skills
Wrong approach altogether, regardless of what you are aiming for. Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vifg2LgF_ic
>>
>>31531035
I mean, this is basically what I’m doing. I’ve put together a plan that will both allow me to be financially secure and put myself in the best location to pursue my passion, all the while actively pursuing that passion. How is this the wrong approach?
>>
>>31531085
It is the wrong approach because of competition within both industries which requires that you will need to be a fanatic to succeed in either. Only young and inexperienced people think they can do that. It's one or the other, and to hell with being comfy. https://steemit.com/story/@rkanwal/inspiring-success-story-of-sylvester-stallone
>>
>>31531349
I disagree, there’s no way every single software developer is a fanatic about what they do. If I focused purely on acting, I’d have an absurd amount of free time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.