[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718629211419.jpg (18 KB, 735x567)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Is it possible for a pathological liar to train themselves to only tell the truth without therapy?

I'm tired of being a shit person.
>>
>>31530102
Yes. It can be done without therapy, though it'll be much harder and take longer. It'll also take a lot of time, as well as patience coupled with self-forgiveness. But it's doable.
>>
>>31530102
Well I'm not a therapist, so I don't know if you can do this without therapy.

What makes you want to lie? Anything specific you usually end up hiding or end up inventing? Or do you like to feel capable of tricking others?

Idk anon, if you catch yourself telling a lie just correct yourself, see how that works.
>>
File: 171962716726540552.jpg (759 KB, 1535x2048)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
>>31530102
https://voca.ro/15cwThlN3WML
>>
>>31530125
hm.
>>31530145
>What makes you want to lie?
I've created a web of lies so fucked I'm basically doing it out of consistency and fear. I only have 3 friends, and they know I'm somewhat untrustworthy (but not too horrible to not confide in) I'm really good at lying and I find myself talking my way into circumstances I am utterly unfamiliar with and should not be in. I'm also very boring and don't got much going on, so it feels like the only way I can socialize with others is to make shit up so they don't get bored and leave.
>>31530158
This is good, thanks.
>>
File: 1697828992838237.png (1021 KB, 640x640)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
>>31530102
You need to identify the barriers you have toward telling the truth. No one can tell the truth all the time without either being very thoughtful or being subject to constant negative consequences.
Once you identify the consequences you are trying to avoid by lying, you can work on finding alternatives that don't fuck you over, and you'll naturally opt for those instead if you have the chance to think about it for 2 seconds.
>t. compulsive lie-avoider of over two decades
>>
>>31530183
>I find myself talking my way into circumstances I am utterly unfamiliar with and should not be in
Can you provide an example of this? My instinct is to learn from the boomers and preface your word with "I'm not an expert, BUT" and refuse to elaborate when they ask for credentials.
>>
Probably not.
Pathological lying is small brain programming. And if you're still doing it on an 18+ board then you are dabbling with hypnotism territory.
>>
File: 1709613633945.png (133 KB, 790x1076)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>31530220
I've lied about job experience, lied about my capabilities, lied about my hobbies, my interests, my emotional and mental state, my experience with women and romance, I've lied about family dying when they didn't, I've said I dated girls who I never dated, I've lied about my finances, my education, my friendships with others, their life circumstances, I've made up conversations that never happened, I've made up events that never happened, I've even lied about being a father at one point.

Like I said earlier, I'm a very boring person who has a low social battery. I'm also overwhelmingly sensitive to rejection and being abandoned by those I care about. My biggest fear is said people learning about EVERYTHING and removing me from their lives.
>>
File: 9f8.jpg (47 KB, 700x690)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>31530267
I'd say give yourself a free pass on the job experience and experience with women, but that aside... ye it sounds like you lack a secure outlet for getting attention bro.

I think voca.ro anon has the right idea. Would also say you need examples of people in your life that you are honest with and still hang around, so using that technique with new people you meet is going to help especially, I think. Also, if you're late in correcting yourself you can also say something like "I was pulling your leg, I don't do X. Did you believe me?" and get a free laugh sometimes.

Some more things to try. If you have zero confidence that you or your interests will be enjoyed by your current company, you can try and become a good listener/opinion machine - if you feel you're being boring, ask them questions, react, and make observations like "that sounds kind of like x". This is weirdly appreciated by normies for some reason, and you might be surprised how far you can get by with just this and sounding positive. It only gets awkward if you meet another person doing that same thing and you have to deflect. Dunno if this helps, but hope you find a solution for yourself OP
>>
>>31530102
It’s been my observation that compulsive liars are people who were at one time brutally and cruelly treated for telling the truth. A few ones I knew had a similar pattern, some kind of abusive parent. The kind who’d lock a kid in a room or scream in their face for so much as admitting to spilling a glass of milk.

Growing up in a situation like that means lying becomes a defense mechanism. And if carried into adulthood, it becomes as easy as breathing.
>>
>>31530102
Only lie about things that can't be cross-checked, such as your state of mind or your ability to remember something. Also, only lie to government officials.

That way, you will feel good about yourself because you're making the world a better place and no-one can catch you out. You are both good and competent.
>>
File: 1717488168361.webm (2.35 MB, 640x360)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB WEBM
>>31530563
>>31530925
>>31530551
>Tell the truth for once on /adv/
>Literally the best advice I've received so far
Wow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.