[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Could someone please write out a step-by-step guide on how to make friends/get a gf?
I follow all the popular advice here like 'join a club' and 'put yourself out there' but I don't know where to go from there.
Whenever I go to clubs/other places to socialize I just end up on the sidelines while already established friend groups interact with one another.
What are you supposed to do after you show up?
>>
>>31530843
no. fucking figure it out yourself or use the archive. i’m tired.
>>
>>31530846
why bother replying lmao
>>
>>31530843
there is no step by step guide that would be broadly applicable. the specifics matter so much you can't generalize anything but the extreme deal breakers. the things a swedish immigrant has to do to make friends in portland are totally different than a 6 foot 5 black guy making friends in Philadelphia
>>
step 1) life sucks no matter what.

step 2) Friends come naturally, its not something you actively work towards. At the very most, it's something you passively work towards

step 3) kill all liberals and faggots

step 4) life sucks no matter what
>>
>>31530860
> 6 foot 5 black guy making friends in Philadelphia

"sup nigga" *gets shot*.
>>
>>31530843
Forget what you’re supposed to do. Only do what you feel like doing. I understand this is hard for a lot of people on /adv/, ‘cuz social anxiety is a bitch or autism is a helluva drug, or whatever it is that causes social ineptitude. But if you want to truly know why or how others do it, then what I just told you is how they do it.

They don’t ask themselves how. They don’t want to nor need to be told what they are ‘supposed’ to do. They simply do what they want to do. And what they want to do is simply hang out and talk. And for them talking is as easy as taking a shit. They find it difficult to explain to you how to talk the same way it would be difficult for you to explain to someone how to take a shit. You would tell them “You just do it. It just happens. Just put your ass to a toilet and do it.” Same thing when others try to tell you how to talk to people.
>>
It's common to be sidelined when you're new.
People are reluctant to commit if you don't show up next week.
Be consistent. Talk where you can. Introduce yourself.
People are cunts in general though and I'd destroy the Earth without a second hesitation.
>>
>>31530860
okay, what would a 6'5 white transfer student do to make friends at an environmental hippie college?
im transferring colleges next semester, and that's the next time im going to have a chance to be social
there's an outdoors club im looking forward to joining

>>31530864
>step 2) Friends come naturally, its not something you actively work towards.
people tell me this, but this hasn't worked for me so far
i didnt make any friends in grammar school, middle school, or in college (yet)
the only exception is that i randomly made friends in high school, but im not sure if i should count that because the guy who i met the group through was really mentally ill and only made friends with me because he saw me as lesser than him

>>31530874
that advice sounds good, but at the same time, that's how i operated until highschool when i got self-conscious, and i didnt make any friends that way

>>31530879
when i join a club, i always make sure to go to all the meetings and events, and talk to other people when appropriate, but i just cant seem to make friends
as a matter of fact, in highschool, i became president of a club without making a single friend in it
>>
>>31530843
Fundamentally, make being good at your chosen vocation (and that should be something you really want to do) your highest priority in life. Be generous and ethical with the people you meet. You can't do more than that.
>>
>>31531044
>6'5 white transfer student do to make friends at an environmental hippie college?

bring them beer and weed. alternatively, die, white man, so the earth can heal and whatnot. they hate you get outta theree
>>
When I was a child I was so unpopular that I literally wasn't allowed to stand next to other kids. Not just popular kids. All other kids.

Now at work I have my own friend group where I'm considered "the popular guy", there's also a bunch of people I can meet once in a while.

I have to tell you, NOTHING, fucking NOTHING takes away the feeling of loneliness.
>>
>>31531286
>I have to tell you, NOTHING, fucking NOTHING takes away the feeling of loneliness.
What, even now? If you are still bitter about that then you need treatment. I went through a similar experience in early life but I don't have such a residue of bitterness now. if you are still having problems then try meditation.
>>
>>31530843
I've wanted to write a paper about it but essentially, relationships are just another form of transactions. You have to offer something to them in return so that they tolerate your presence. Be warned though, there are those who can smell desperation and will take advantage.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.