[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718488141578050.png (62 KB, 714x575)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
How to stop stuttering, stammering, saying "uh", lagging mid sentence, and misspeaking? I want to be charismatic but these impediments make me sound like a total retard.
>>
>>31536173
Its fine, you are trying your best.

Go talk to a mirror and imagine the reflection is someone else. Now talk about anything and think how they will respond.

If you are too shy, get a hat and hide your eyes and just talk to them. Eventually, if it becomes comfortable try without the hat and talk.

Or, get help of a practice buddy, and say you need help practicing speech. Ask them what tips or improvement to be made.
>>
>>31536336
Thank you anon, I'll try this. It sucks because I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent but people don't take me seriously because of my lack of charisma. I also suck at debating irl because of my lack of social confidence.
>>
>>31536173
Manually control speech patterns to not
Repeat until automatic
>>
>>31536345
Avoid debating and just be honest.
Have a healthy talk instead.
If they disagree, its fine to be silent.
Its their choice.

I have nicknamed someone "Broken Limb" where its so offensive, I only see it as funny and they allowed it. Not that it will go for others, but just us. The reasoning was that I easily forget names so it kinda justifies my lazy with something more memorable and joyful.
>>
>>31536173
Slow. Down.
You don't need to always rush your word vomit fren. If you stagger your words simply own it either verbal reset or cough.
>uh, um, er-I.
>Cough. Pardon I forget I'm not in a rush.
>uh, um, er-I.
>Pause
>Pardon me, caffeine jitters got me scatter brained. Where was I? [Let them talk]

You're already aware of your development and patterns which is already half the battle. Now you just need to learn how to give yourself more space to speak and ability to reset.
>>
File: 20240514_042320.jpg (95 KB, 1080x1065)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
OP here. Should I just start tismmaxxing and pretend to be retarded when I feel like I'm about to start stuttering or show signs of anxiety?

Usually when I stutter or show anxiety people get mad because I'm just seen as incompetent since I work in retail. But if I went full retard, they might feel pity and not try to take advantage of me. There have been certain times in the past where people assume I'm retarded when I have severe anxiety attacks that render me unable to speak or form words without stuttering uncontrollably, because I have Tourettes. Usually people feel pity then because they assume I'm just a full on retard. But if I act normal at first and then something happens that triggers my tism, they assume I'm just a pathetic person. Should I tismmax constantly so people take pity on me and don't take advantage of me? Then when I do something slightly competently they'll think "oh wow anon is retarded and able to function like an adult that's so stunning and brave"
>>
>>31536173
>>31536345
If you feel that you have a lack of charisma, then it's that feeling about yourself that's holding you back. Not the speech impediments or anything else; it's your self-image.
A person can absolutely be funny and engaging and over all charismatic while also still having a speech impediment. It's a lot more to do with self-confidence and focusing on their positive traits, rather than letting a difficulty dictate their personality and what they allow themselves to do.
>>
>>31536173
I went through an instructor school in the military where they taught us public speaking. The best advice I can give you is that it’s better to have pauses of intentional silence than it is to fill the void with pause words. If you have to stop mid sentence and think for a moment about what you want to say, that’s good. People appreciate intentionality in speech.
>>
>>31536606
Practice imitating the speech patterns of a character from a show or movie.
>>
File: 171979303423059805.jpg (96 KB, 1024x979)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>31536173
https://voca.ro/17eNh6UdZDy2
>>
>>31536905
Thank you Frog Durst
>>
>>31536173
What I do is just pause and say nothing instead of saying “uh”. Pauses are good. They add solemnity.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.