[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: monkey-on-cell-phone.gif (3.46 MB, 200x200)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB GIF
>suffer because I have no goals
>can't think of any goal to pursue
>start doing something productive anyway hoping I'll figure anything out
>don't want to continue after a few months because of the lack of direction, even though progress was being made
>back to step 1
How do I solve this?
>>
>How do I solve this?
Indulge in what you find interesting, but never half-heartedly. See through it all to completion.
>>
>>31536288
Every day, relax with eyes closed and see yourself in your mind's eye, first person perspective, as having achieved the goal. Experience what it looks, sounds and feels like.
>>
>>31536304
An additional wrinkle from psycho-cybernetics: Imagine what came (that is, what would come) just before the goal was completed, and what came before that, and before that, right back to the present. Repeat as often as necessary.
>>
>>31536296
Well, I try but there is a point where I simply don't derive any pleasure from indulging it anymore because of the lack of direction.

>>31536304
>Every day, relax with eyes closed and see yourself in your mind's eye, first person perspective, as having achieved the goal
I try to think of myself in the future in a sucessful career, but then I get overwhelmed because I know it isn't something realistic at the moment, and I'm not even sure if that is the goal I want.
>>
you feel that you're suffering because you have no goals so you start acting "productively" without identifying a clear objective?

how can you be doing something "productive" if the results you produce do not represent progress toward what you want to achieve?

perhaps your goal should be to learn how to discern a worthwhile goal in the first place?
>>
>>31536326
>you feel that you're suffering because you have no goals so you start acting "productively" without identifying a clear objective?
Correct.

>how can you be doing something "productive" if the results you produce do not represent progress toward what you want to achieve?
I don't know. I just find it productive because it gives me knowledge that I didn't have before. I thought I would discern a goal once I started doing it but it doesn't seem to be the case.

>perhaps your goal should be to learn how to discern a worthwhile goal in the first place?
And how do I do that?
>>
>>31536326
idk man many of us are simply solving one problem at a time and seeing what bigger problems we find. you mentioned envisioning a successful career. what does that look like and why can't you do anything to work toward it right now?

couple suggestions from another anon:
>>31535988

some weird guy on youtube said "what goal would justify the suffering in your life?" is your lack of direction your largest source of suffering? that might be why people become counselors and coaches.
>>
>>31536320
>Well, I try but there is a point where I simply don't derive any pleasure from indulging it anymore because of the lack of direction.
Perhaps what is called of you requires more than merely the whimsy of petty forces such as pleasure. This disgusting force which, to no fail, always takes its leave in the middle of the most critical and heart-wrenching moments of your endeavors only to return the time you most need it has elapsed. Are you not insulted that so much of you and your future clings to this?
>>
>>31536378
meant for
>>31536354
>>
>>31536288
have you considered maybe you're just not the "career" oriented person?
I'm not. I had a career and hated it.
Now I work part time at a local small business. I don't make much money but I have lots of free time and I'm happy
>>
>>31536288
OP, perhaps quieten your mind so you can pay attention to what is relevant.

TLDR: Ignore the techno-babble in this video and just meditate. https://youtu.be/aAVPDYhW_nwhttps://youtu.be/aAVPDYhW_nw
>>
>>31536413
how is your mental and physical health?
are you doing nofap and praying to Jesus Christ or are you an atheist coomer?
This is extremely important.
>>
>>31536393
My first job was in a supermarket, and I absolutely hated how mind-numbing and frivolous everything was, which made me feel like I was wasting my youth and my potential. Since then, I had developed this sense of responsibility concerning my future. After quitting, and finally having the opportunity to work in which I thought was my goal, I felt unable to do so and then just started losing sight of what I really wanted for my future.
>>
>>31536417
>how is your mental and physical health?
Mentally, very bad. Drained, self-loathing, unhappy with life in general. Physically, I'm alright, I was exercising everyday even. I don't follow any religion, but my family is christian.
>>
>>31536417
this couldn't be less important
>>
>>31536448
can you afford therapy and/or try a career coach at the local college?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.