[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2945.jpg (23 KB, 451x396)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I’m 20, and I’ve never read a full book. I have tons of comics and literature at my house but I don’t read them because I’m such a terminally online ADHD zoomer brained retardo. I’ll start them, then get paranoid I’m consuming them wrong because my brain has rotted, and I stop reading.

What’s the best way to counter this?
>>
File: 171972469916652971.jpg (1.1 MB, 1920x1200)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>31539123
reading goals n habit
https://voca.ro/1iIlzHfG0kcX
>>
>>31539123
>What’s the best way to counter this?
read something that actually excites you until you're into it and know you're doing well. I remember having the same problem when I was younger, it's not just a zoomer thing. There's loads of books about just about everything and you don't have to start out with the hobbit or harry potter, think of some shit that sounds good and mention it in the thread and I'm sure people can give great recommendations.
>>
>>31539123

Audio books. Especially if you're hearing it all the time. You'll start remembering the gist of what the author is trying to say eventually if you're hearing it all the time. The holy Bible tells you this clearly.

Romans 10:7
>The point is, Before you trust, you have to listen. But unless Christ's Word is preached, there's nothing to listen to. (MSB)

Audio books are good background noise if you don't feel like reading. If you don't want to hear the literature, then listen to it. If you don't want to listen to it, then read it. Everyone processes information differently.
>>
>>31539175
>If you don't want to read the literature, then listen to it.
>>
>>31539175
What a joke. Morons really think this is the same as reading. It isn't.
>>
>>31539179
>>31539184
Nta but I would also suggest audiobooks because it gives you a sense of progress that you're being exposed to more and more literature.
There's really nothing stopping you from doing both. Reading is very easy, it's just consistency that's difficult which audiobooks somewhat omits the problem of.
Yes, audiobooks engages different parts of the mind than straight up reading, but if you care more for the essence of the material than reading itself, it's a valid way to get exposed to literature.
That said, I do think reading overall is better. It's easier to get immersed since your attention presumably isn't split by the multitasking of using it as background noise, also it helps with retaining information better and obviously not all books have audio options.
Just do both OP, and be patient with yourself and the book. It's okay if you don't get what you're reading immediately.
>>
File: rhetoric.jpg (107 KB, 507x371)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>31539123
>I’ll start them, then get paranoid I’m consuming them wrong because my brain has rotted, and I stop reading.
Your brain hasn't "rotted." Whatever short-attention span you might experience is a habit that can be changed thanks to natural neuro-plasticity.

Pretty much every book I read nowadays, I read as follows:

After each section that describes a concept, I write down a brief summary of what I just read *in my own words." I'll also write down any questions I have thought of, that I'll expect answers to later in the book. I write these notes in a quadrille exercise book (A4-sized) and often add doodles and small diagrams or mindmaps. Even when I don't write actual notes, I will pause after each section and think about, and form questions about, what I just read. Fact or fiction, but mostly nowadays I read non-fiction, very occasionally a collection of short stories, but hardly ever a novel.

If you want an example of a good book to read, check out How to Read a Book by Adler.

If you want to study how to do this sort of thing at an advanced level then study rhetoric (as a course of study, not simply for making speeches, but for analysis of text and even advertisements) (picrel).
>>
>>31539123
First pick what is interesting to you. Manga is a good start which is what I did. If it's manga you don't have to read it out loud but once you move to a real book (do not start with the bible) read out loud. It makes a huge difference. Go in the woods and only read out loud there and look up any word you don't know or don't know how to pronounce and also say it out loud. As long as it's words on a page your in a good direction. Start slow. You have the rest for your life to read so have fun.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.