[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: roc.png (154 KB, 319x236)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
In this episode, we convince OP not to sell everything he owns and flee the country.
>The Problem
I'm disillusioned with my reality and I'm not sure how to explain it. I have a good job, a place of my own, a supportive family, hobbies, etc. None of it feels real. It's awkward because somedays it's all I can think about throughout my day. Other days, it's fleeting and easily dismissed to focus on the present.
>The Solution
What would you guys do in this situation? I tried doing some small things outside the box to maybe change up my routine, but nothing has helped. My only anchor here is my family, but I've considered just selling everything and up and moving. Not sure if that would do anything, but wanted to see if any anons had advice.
>>
>>31540816
Yeah I can relate man. I love my family and friends, but sometimes there's a desire to just go away from everything and have some time to myself.

Maybe you can try just having some time out, a long vacation away from your routine and all, to see if that feeling goes away or changes somehow.
I'm talking like, travelling abroad for a while, that kinda stuff.
>>
>>31540816
Honestly just fuck off somewhere for 6 months.
>>
>Not sure if that would do anything, but wanted to see if any anons had advice.
Chance exists that doing so would not prove the former otherwise. Also, what if the place you would choose to go has the same characteristics as where you were from.
>>
>>31540848
Yeah, can't explain it. I'm taking a weeklong trip soon to see if that helps again. It's like a bandaid fix though.
>>31540859
Considering it. I've done short jaunts, but I'm thinking I might try longer.
>>31540870
That would be my concern, but it's worth a shot. Just not sure what else I can do. Worst fear would be it be the same because then my escapism distraction would no longer work too well.
>>
A lot of people try running from life like this. Sometimes they find something better, usually they don't.
>>
>>31541034
That is a concern of mine. I suspect most of the world is more of the same. Can't hurt in trying though. What would you do instead?
>>
>>31541085
I can't tell you what you should do. I don't know your circumstance, your life, etc. I can only share my own experience.

I found escapism through media and hobbies, especially online video games. People will call it "unhealthy" but I think it's only as unhealthy as any other hobby if taken to the extreme. In the years since, I've built my career, purchased a home, built up assets so that I might be able to retire somewhat early if I stay on track with savings and investments. And despite it all, from time to time I still feel dissatisfied with everything with no clear solution in sight. I suspect these feelings will never go away.
>>
>>31541122
Fair. What do you de when these feelings come? Distract yourself somehow? I view escapism as a temporary cure, but trying to combat the base feelings of dissatisfaction. I imagine things like what I'd do if I didn't have to "waste" hours at work. I should be satisfied with what I've accomplished, but it all feels so empty. I guess I could try to fill my life with additional value, but I just don't know what else I can do to make that value
>>
>>31541201
He just said he plays video games. The fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>31541248
They didn't teach reading comprehensive in the special homeschool I went to. Damn. The fuck is wrong wit you? Media is a distraction and hobbies are nice, but empty

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.