[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: homestead.jpg (499 KB, 2048x1428)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
I make $50k (remote work) and live in Florida. I cannot afford to move out of my parents house in this state. I saw that I can afford to buy a quaint home in somewhere rural in Georgia, the Carolinas, or Tennessee. Its tempting to be able to jump from living in my parents house to owning a home and half an acre.

Is this a good idea? I don't know if moving somewhere rural will isolate me further, make it harder to meet friends, or even find a woman.
>>
File: IMG_9634.jpg (38 KB, 640x480)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>31543086
philly studios are $1000 and under, $500 if you live with roommates
>>
>>31543096
Maybe a handful are that price. But then I have to move up north (which I dont want to), and the thing about renting is that I am not building value, just paying some retard half my paycheck every month
>>
>>31543086
I've been thinking about this as an Ausfag, I work remotely too. The only thing I'm worried about is making such a big jump on my remote job. I do good work and keep my head down but there's no guarantee of having that job forever. Then, it's the stress of finding another remote job.
>>
>>31543113
Very true, its a huge commitment and risk
>>
>>31543120
To answer your question OP and not just focus on me

>I don't know if moving somewhere rural will isolate me further, make it harder to meet friends, or even find a woman.
Obviously. This goes without saying. People move to the cities to find partners/work. In small towns the pool is much smaller and gets closed up very early post-highschool. With the only girls remaining being the ones that filtered themselves out.
>>
>>31543154
Its one of my biggest concerns about this plan for sure. This idea is spurred by the fact that I feel I am wasting my young adult life in my parents house, I feel like I am still living like a child. But if I move somewhere with no people my age and meet no friends and have no options to date, I am not necessarily improving
>>
There's some cheap land in north Florida near the Alabama and Georgia lines. And even cheaper if you cross into Alabama because that region is low cost of living.
>>
>>31543233
Bama is super cheap, but I was under the impression it was a shithole
>>
>>31543236
I mean, it can be. The area around Dothan and enterprise is very low cost of living and you can buy some land while not being cross country from your parents Florida house. You'd be local to Panama City and Destin. Stuff happening in the panhandle would be in your local news. You would have cheaper home insurance and very low land taxes.

And you could buy milk or produce from a farm if you wanted to. Which I always found nice.
>>
>>31543086
The only downside that I can see to living in a more rural area is that job opportunities will be less available.

If you can get employment in the area you move to, then you should seriously think about it. Just don't move unless you've got the income problem figured out or else you'll just have to sell your property when you are broke.
>>
>>31543573
I work remote so employment isnt a factor thankfully. Its the potential social suicide thats the only factor giving me pause right now

>>31543399
I will look into those areas, thanks anon
>>
>>31543086
You get what you pay for. Yes, some parts of the country are cheaper than others, but there is always a reason for that - they offer less that is attractive.
>>
>>31543693
>there is always a reason for that - they offer less that is attractive.
For sure. Truthfully, I dont wish to leave Florida. I was born here, grew up here, and I love this state. But my options for now and the near future seem to be continue to waste my 20s living at home or make a drastic change. Idk which is better.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.