[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • AdBlock users: The default ruleset blocks images on /adv/. You must disable AdBlock to browse /adv/ properly.
  • Are you in crisis? Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at +1 (800) 273-8255.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Wojak.png (4 KB, 216x233)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Bachelor of Arts in fucking Classical Studies
How do I cope?
>>
File: IMG_7114.jpg (746 KB, 1170x754)
746 KB
746 KB JPG
>>31666328
Cuddle your wife
>>
>>31666328
how did you cope in getting one in the first place???
>>
>>31666433
I don't know
I thought I needed a degree so I studied in something I was interested in
>>
>>31666328
You’re doomed. How much student debt do you have? If the answer is “none” Kys because you have no real problems just go work you faggot
>>
>>31666496
.... $95,000
>>
>>31666562
that’s insane, who gave you that money? well you are already a hobo, so start debt maxxing, watch Sam Hyde guide on debt maxing
>>
>>31666328
Work on an office job.
>>
>>31666328
Good morning, sir!
I am studying for a degree in business administration while I do not have any work experiece

>>31666562
I see you have redeemed the college loans sir!

I suggest you suck 95,000 dicks for $1 each time and then continue doing this for work.
>>
>>31666580
The government
>>
>>31666328
I don't read cope threads. You already know the answers so just deal with it.
>>
>>31666328
Depends on how old you are. If you're under 25, maybe try getting a new degree that's more useful and related the one you already have, such as journalism. If you're considerably older then just do drugs to have a good time, debt- and NEET-maxx and kill yourself once the noose starts tightening.
>>
>>31666328
Apply for jobs that require a degree which get paid the money that society says people with degrees get
>job says degree is required
>get interview
>says here you have a degree but its not relevant to the field
>yeah, but don't people say that it doesn't matter what degree you get as long as you get a degree?
Just keep applying for jobs OP. good jobs. and neva give up wereallgonnamakeitbrah

>>
>>31666328
get a job. Build a life.
>>
>>31666328
This is honestly something you should have thought about before wasting your life on a Bachelor of Arts in fucking Classical Studies.
>>
>>31666440
>I wanted a degree
>I got a degree
>How do I cope with this unexpected tragedy
It would take a heart of stone not to laugh, and I don't have a heart of stone.
>>
File: IMG_1076.jpg (131 KB, 542x679)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
At least you didn’t get a fucking degree in French. What the fuck am I gonna do with this shit
>>
>>31667177
Idk during my time in college two of my professors for one semester, one of them was a historian with a specialization in France (studied french in high school, went to france the whole nine), and the other was a french teacher with a master's in French studies (french language teaching?) from our institute.
>>
>>31666328
Welcome to the club bro! Wagie job for us or military! I am personally looking at military cause it gives me room and board. Also no local jobs actually pay well and are not just 12/hr retail jobs.

>>31666496
>>31666580
Parents wanted me to go to college and I did, but it seemed like it didn't matter as long as it was a degree. I think that was in the boomer times though, as now you have to be STEM or know the niche field you want to get into.

>>31667177
Translation shit for businesses, I've seen job offers for that for various businesses near me. Sadly I never got good at Chinese enough to claim fluency or even moderate skill.
>>
>>31666414
Goddammit...
>>
>>31666328
Here are the things you can go into:
>teaching
>being an expensive private tutor for Greek or Latin
>clerk or office work
>teaching English in Japan
>going into codebreaking and encryption
>working at a library
>working at a museum
>archivist
>wage slave grad student
>get a hot bookish gf who likes classics and NEET together while reading Ovid
Plenty of shit for you to do. I majored in archaeology and anthropology. You can't believe how useless that shit is.
>>
>>31666778
>business administration
can get you something in business analysis, just learn some SQL and Power BI and some agile or whatever it is called
>>
i failed out of engineering and threads like this give me peace that it wasn't worth going back for an easy humanity degree
>>
>>31666562
Yea you’re fucked dude I dunno what to say.

Back when I went to college I wasted 5 years getting a polisci degree but I got so much pussy and had a good time for only 40k cuz I went in state. I worked two jobs and paid off all my debt back in 2017.

I just pretend like I never went to college and it’s fine. But you? You’re probably fucked
>>
>>31666328
Try to find some shitty tier job with your degree or without such a prerequisitive (e.g. courier, waiter, sentilent), put aside as much cash as you can and parallely enroll into some trade school on electrician, plumber, welder, etc. There you can find some interneship to horn your skills. People with rights hands are always in favor.
>>
>>31667622
Trades fucking suck ass. Shitty, labor intensive work, everyone looks down on and pities you and women scoff at you. Fuck the trades. I’d rather make 30k and just sit in an office
>>
>>31666328
If you can translate Greek, you can analyze sales figures.
If you can interpret poetry, you can examine legal documents.
If you can research a term paper, you can research zoning laws and legal precedents.
If you can write a term paper, you can write anything.

People with classics dgrees:

Jerry Brown, former Governor of California
Rita Mae Brown, author,
William Cohen, former Secretary of Defence
William Cohen- Former U.S. Secretary of Defense
Jonathan Evans- Head of British Secret Service, MI5
Sigmund Freud- Founder of Modern Psychology
Chuck Geschke- Co-Founder of Adobe
Boris Johnson- Former Prime Minister
Tom Hiddleston- British Actor
Philip Johnson- Architect
T.E. Lawrence- Better known as "Lawrence of Arabia,"
Vince Lombardi- Football coach
Anthony Legget- Nobel Prize Winner in Physics
Chris Martin- Lead Singer of Coldplay
Robert Millikan- Nobel Prize Winner in Physics
John Milton- Author of Paradise Lost
Toni Morrison- Nobel Prize Winner in Literature
Tim O'Reilly- Computer Self Help Publisher
Lynn Sherr- TV News Correspondent
J.K Rowling- Author
Alicia Stallings- Poet
Ted Turner- Founder of CNN
Teller- Magician
>>
>>31666328
nigger, if you're proficient in classical greek and latin you're unironically high iq. Aim for jobs related to jurisprudence, translation, international relations, etc..
>>
>>31667861
kids in Europe learn latin and greek u, it's not difficult
>>31667849
not every Classics degree teacher Greek/Latin, he might have just studied the history/culture
>>
>>31666328
Having ANY bachelor's degree automatically puts you into the officer stream in most western militaries. There, they will train you to do a real job, where you will learn to be a manager, and likely some other useful work skills like project management, etc.

Many corporations prefer hiring veterans as well. Most roles will not be combat arms.
>>
>>31666328
this>>31668464
commission. if you're worng enough you can submit a packet to do soem cool shit like aviation. if not you can still branch into a job with high carry ability into the civillian workforce.
>>
>>31668166
>kids in Europe learn latin and greek u, it's not difficult
Are you in europe? No?

So yiu are selling yourself short. I got my job as a high executive advisor with my psychology degree by arguing how learning psy helped me "deal with people good" and they bought it.

Making 7 figures.

It's all about how effective you market your skill set.
>>
>>31667329
>>31666328
Similar boat, I've actually transferred universities but both programs I've been in are useless adjacent (econ and graphic design). Got a little less than halfway done, realized
this is hell, haven't been to class in over a year and my father pesters me daily to finish any diploma I can, but I just can't convince myself its worth it. I want to just get a job man
>>
>>31666328
If you are in the US, look for government jobs on usajobs dot gov. There are a lot out there that’ll take any degree and the benefits are very good.
>>
Are second bachelor's worth it?
>>
>>31666328
by fucking cute 20 year old baristas for eternity
>>
>>31666328
Atleast it's not Bachelor's in Science in fucking Physics
>>
>>31670762
I'm a bachelor and I think I'm worth it
>>
>>31667177
Become a teacher I guess?
>>
>>31671658
Physics is kino
>>
>>31666328
work at dollar tree
>>
>>31667329
>Parents wanted me to go to college and I did, but it seemed like it didn't matter as long as it was a degree.

It’s insane to me that gen z didn’t learn from millennials. This is the exact same story with me and I’m sure millions of others. Boomers are fucking retarded.

Kids shouldn’t be allowed to apply for loans until they take a course about how most degrees are fuckin worthless. This shit is de-facto slavery
>>
>>31666328
>>>/g/twg/
Try your luck there or unironically kys
>>
>>31672478
What's that?
>>
>>31666328
Accept that you're a high-INT low-WIS birdbrain, idiot savant who got a degree in a quintessential field regarding human civilization and doesn't know what to do with it.

Intelligent people know what to do with a degree in classical studies. But then again, you're asking for advice on 4chan, you get what you deserve.
>>
>>31678035
So what should I do with it?
>>
>>31678744
medical sales rep

you spent lots of time writing convincing essays and god willing can speak as well
>>
>>31666328
did you just not for one second stop to think about what you would do with your degree when you began pursuing it?
>>
>>31678852
No
>>
>>31667392
You need a separate different bachelors to be a librarian, same with working at a museum.
Op is probably not gonna find a job that needs his classical studies degree.
>>
>>31677972
place in america that sells stuff for a dollar well not anymore to inflation, thanks sleepy joe.
>>
>>31679675
Yeah schooling for library and museum are specific and low in volume. Best bet would be entry level willing to expect others but most are taken by people with those majors who specialized in it for whatever reason.
>>
idk classics is pretty cool i wish i were an intellectual too
>>
>>31682319
Problem is I'm not an intellectual either.
>>
go get a phd in classics, and then you get paid to post on classics forums about your autistic obsession at the time
>>
If you don't get into a career in your field directly after graduating, you will start to lose your training from college, and after a few years it will be like you never even went. I suggest OP start writing a book.
>>
File: 1703814941769284m.jpg (82 KB, 1024x576)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>31667622
>>31667643
Got a Business degree with a finance major, didn't get hired anywhere and ended up joining the trades two years ago (electrician).
The trades fucking suck as the other anon said. Enjoy blowing out your body, your back will hurt, your lungs will be filled with silica dust and you will need hearing aids.
You get to work with the bottom tier of society for the most part, there are some good guys and some of the skills are useful, although you could just learn these things on your own. The majority of the time you are a slave, never using your mind but solely your body to move shit back and forth over and over.
I think I'm going to quit tomorrow and go back to NEETing, fuck this lol.
>>
>>31684565
>Got a Business degree with a finance major, didn't get hired anywhere
How?
>>
>>31686093
He clearly didn't network. The biggest asset of a business degree isn't knowing the supply-demand curves, but connecting with the right people. It is funny but true that often "A" students have worse outcomes than others because they are overly attached to structure and painting inside the lines.
>>
>>31666328
num tu scire latine???
>>
>>31666562
>This is legal in america
>>
>>31666562
lmao hahaha i was paid $15000 for going into my uni hahahaha (and its quite a little respectively because im retarded)
>>
>>31686736
Actually New Zealand
I fucked up big time
>>
File: 1711252712150651.png (468 KB, 604x604)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
>>31686093
>How
This anon >>31686253 is correct. I didn't network and join all types of clubs, I didn't even do internships, I continued to work at my landscaping job in the summers.
I had a 4.0 and was a deans list student.
At the end of the day the marks get you no where and I thought differently, I was wrong.
Now I'm mid 20's and miserable trying to figure out my life.
>>
>>31687207
Have you considered commissioning and going officer in the millitary?
>>
>>31672667
>It’s insane to me that gen z didn’t learn from millennials
Theres a sucker born every day.
I agree with your point, though I dont think its a generational thing. I honestly cant fathom how someone can commit to something for four years and not once bother to look up "[major] average salaries".
>>
>>31687207
Just apply to entry level office jobs
>>
>>31667177
Go to France. Chances are a guy who can communicate with bosses and speaks English natively will be in high demand.
>>
>>31667392
>>going into codebreaking and encryption
AHAHAHAHA if you aren't an autist savant you need to have 130 IQ minimum for something like that.
>>
Just become the broke artsy graduate version of patrick bateman.

So we can have the netflix doc.
>>
>>31692264
Most entry level positions are being filled by those that are not "entry level". On top of this most entry level positions require having a few years of experience in the field. Which is bullshit because its an entry level position.
>>
>>31671630
tutorial please
I accidentally pressed skip
>>
>>31695269
JBW
>>
>>31695322
Just be White?
>>
>>31693554
Sounds like cope to me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.