[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1415492349567.jpg (33 KB, 720x460)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
I recently turned 25, and basically I have zero friends whatsoever. I only have my parents to talk to, and the only texts I receive are either from them or my phone company reminding me of my upcoming bill. It’s been like this for about 10+ years.

I don't really know where some good places are to meet people or how people typically form friendships or relationships past uni/college — I never went myself. I’ve also heard people tend to be cliquey and stick with their social circle they’ve already established at a younger age, not feeling the need to branch out. When it comes to dating, I'd imagine being friendless to be a big red flag, so it's out of the question for me.

I guess I’ll add that while I’m not clinically diagnosed, I do believe I am likely on the spectrum, since I display almost all of the classic symptoms. I’m typically pretty quiet and reserved around others, but it adds an additional layer of difficulty when talking to people. The handful of times I’ve tried putting myself out there (bars, clubs, events) rarely went so well.
>>
Shit, I went on meetup and found some hiking group full of old ass people (by mistake). Decided to hike with their old asses anyways and found a cool old dude who had a similar job as me and we hit it off.

You could also try online video games. The barrier to friendship is much lower, but people are often really quick to write off online friendships as not real.

There's HelloTalk if you're down for learning new languages. Swear to God, if you put down that you're learning English and actually engage in the app you'll have more people to talk to than you know what to do with. Granted, they fucking suck at English, but it's human connection.
>>
>>31672846
Same anon here. Correction: if you put down that you KNOW English and are willing to help someone with it, you'll shit your pants with all the attention. The voicerooms are also really good for meeting people of any language, yours or others.
>>
>>31672840
You don't make friends. You make acquaintances - people you know well enough to say "Hi" to when you pass. Over time, some of those evolve to stop-and-chat level, and then some of them to arrange-to-meet-up level, and then some of them to Real Friends.

Start with people already on the first level - neighbors, coworkers, local shopkeepers. Add to that level by joining a club, a gym, a team, a church. Take a random evening class. Do volunteer work. Go to concerts, clubs, talks, meetings. Not every individual try will produce results, but nothing will happen if you don't keep trying.
>>
>>31672840
>how people typically form friendships or relationships past uni/college
usually at work
> cliquey and stick with their social circle they’ve already established at a younger ag
depends on the country, but it's ridiculous how strict they are here. I went to a self defence course and such a group was there and always just sticked together, never interacting with anyone else. I think latinos and meds are way more open than germanics
>almost all of the classic symptoms.
If you are, then it's just going to be hard to make friends outside of special interest discord friends. Especially long term. You can still have similar traits as an non-autist, but then you can at least adapt more to socialize better and find friends.
>>
bump
>>
>>31674408
>bumps thread without responding to anyone
that's why /adv/ is full of shit
>>
>>31672846
I remember way back (2013-ish) I'd talk to people on Skype that I met in WoW, but it only lasted for a couple of months. I also remember in my Xbox Live days I had a couple people I talked to, but eventually we lost contact. I would've been like 11-12 anyways.

I'll check out HelloTalk since I've wanted to learn some languages (mainly French), but at this stage in my life I'm more interested in irl connections.

>>31672859
>>31672863
Yeah, I mean I try to talk to my coworkers, but most of them are either much younger or much older and have their own shit going on. I had a few people from work I kept in touch with, but it always felt one-sided. When I stopped reaching out, the "friendship" pretty much ended.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.