[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1694285253013.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Is there a good way to deal with a coworker that badmouths you to every person in my workplace? It's a small workplace so there aren't that many people and I like my job so don't want to quit.
>>
>>31673994
Not sure, I'm dealing with this currently. I basically ignore their b.s and gossip. Be the mature one. If it takes its toll just start looking for a new job and or snitch to the higher higher ups.
>>
>>31673994
In this order:

1. Tell them to stop
2. Make a diary of examples and show to immediate boss
3. File a formal complaint with HR
4. Take it further up the command chain
>>
>>31673994
I've encountered this and the thing is that if they habitually badmouth others, then every knows they're a piece of shit and pay attention to how you act, not the opinion of an asshole.
If they're literally just singling you out, then document everything you do and everything they say. Be above board and listen to >>31674591
The trick to dealing with HR is to *not* go to them with your problem and hope they fix it. That's dumping messy work on them.
You want to approach HR with your concerns for a potential problem for the company and work with them to resolve it before it becomes an issue.
Don't try to get HR on your side. Be on the side of HR. Because that's the winning side.
This can mean "trying to tolerate it" while they speak to the offender. Often, it just makes the offender more passively aggressive.
>>
>>31673994
Ignore it.
>>
>>31673994
Weigh the pros and cons. You like the job (pro)
Someone is bad mouthing you (con)
Like the job? (pro)
A person who clearly doesnt give af about you who you don't give af about badmouthing you (con)
Don't expect them to change unless you deck them. I know it isn't exactly pleasant, but some people you can't please. No need to move the moon and the stars for a coworker who isn't even worth the trouble.
>>
if they bad mouth everybody it reflects on them. be careful to not bad mouth anybody yourself. and >>31674591
>>
>>31674591
>>31674644
This pretty much covers it. I've dealt with that too, OP and its so fucking lame. I'm surprised there are grown ups with decent office jobs out there that do shit like this. One encouraging thing I can say is that these people have real self esteem problems. Problems they bring home with them every day. Once HR tells them to cut it out, your problem will gone and they'll have to figure out another way to process their stupid insecurities. Do not let them make their problems your problem.
>>
>>31674080
That's what I have been doing but it seems to be being the bigger person doesn't seem to help. If I snitch I feel as though many if my other coworkers will ostracize me although I think new employees get a tainted view of me before I even have a chance to speak.

>>31674644
>habitually badmouth others
That's probably true, but I feel as though I have been made the villain by them. I'm not really social, I think in the last year I've spoken a total of fifteen minutes to them in total, others obviously more but I tend to put my headphones on to block people out.

>>31675102
I am looking to move out of this area of the workplace to another. I don't care about them, I just don't like that I don't even get a fair shake with other coworkers before they try to taint their opinion of me.

Otherwise I appreciate the opinions and advice here.
>>
>>31676347
>I feel as though I have been made the villain by them
If your words and actions don't align with dumb shit they've said, they'll believe their own impression of you over the badmouthing words of a shitalking badmouth who talks shit.
When the incident happened when I finally yelled back to them constantly screaming at me for no reason, I was able to calmly explain the situation from start to finish, completely truthfully.

>help coworkers all the time as part of my job
>bitch coworker insists that nobody help her with small task or she won't do it
>let it go for months
>it comes up again
>finally ask her why
>she starts SCREAMING and crying about how she can't take this right now because her life is so bad and etc
>my life at the time was literally falling apart and I just kept on
>eventually I scream back "You're not the only one with a life!"
>supervisor asks me what happened
>calmly explain
>"Yeah I figured it was something like that, you never cause trouble"
>nothing happens

I also had a supervisor talking with management comment to me "...you know, I've *never* heard you complain. Not once.". I shrugged and replied "I'll start complaining when complaining solves problems."
People notice your words and actions and those of dramatic troublemakers.
>>
>>31676347
Ever smell dog shit or skunk in the air? They're the human equivalent to that in essence. Unless you're turbo autismo and give people reasons to give you crap, some people are just like that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.