[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm aware of the lack of job prospects but also already tried to study something useful (accounting) and failed. What should I do?
>>
>>31674507
Are you still in school?
>>
>>31674507
lol
>>
>>31674520
no
>>
>>31674672
How old are you and and have you worked before? Is there a demand for someone teaching history/doing historical research where you are?
>>
>>31674507
God fucking no unless you want to work at Wendy’s
>>
>>31674695
19, worked as waiter for a year and a half after dropping out.
>Is there a demand for someone teaching history/doing historical research where you are?
no idea
>>
>>31674729
Yeah probably shouldn't do it. Won't get far without a degree Anyway. Go into a trade or something. Honestly you seem like a person who doesnt tthing too far into the future and does does what feels right at the time (not an insult!). If that's the case you should reassess your situation and think carefully about your next move
>>
>>31674507
Stop thinking of university as a trade school designed to funnel you into a job. It isn't. In fact only about 25% of all grads wind up working in the area of their degree.

Here are some people with history degrees:

Susan Wojcicki, CEO of YouTube
Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs
Ken Chenault, CEO of American Express
Carly Fiorina, CEO of HP Computers
Steve Ells, CEO of Chipotle
Jennifer Robson, Author
Alexa Hirschfield, Co-Founder of Paperless Post
Chris Hughes, Co-Founder of Facebook
Donna Dubinsky, CEO of Palm Inc.
Martha Stewart
Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony
Samuel Palmisano, President of IBM
Charles Sennott, Co-Founder of GlobalPost
Ben Silverman, Co-Chair of NBC Entertainment
Ian Caldwell, Author
Malcolm Gladwell, Author and Essayist
>>
>>31674754
id rather not go into a trade if possible.
>>
>>31674793
Okay so you dotn actually want advice. Good luck
>>
>>31674798
tf I just want to know if i have other options than working 60hr weeks with dicks
>>
I got a history degree from Berkeley. I eventually bit the bullet and went to law school.

Listen to me very carefully. Money is one of the most important things in life. Money is shelter. Money is healthcare. Money is healthy food and a safe, reliable car. Money is being able to pursue your hobbies on the weekend and buy your spouse nice things. Money makes you live longer, healthier, and happier. I was poor once and nearly lost my fucking mind. Don't be poor. Don't fall for the trap of pursuing what you love at all costs. You will be happier with a boring, but stable job that pays $100,000 a year than ripping your hair out trying to catch a break in the world of liberal arts academia or performance art or whatever.

By all means, pursue what interests you, but hedge your bets and aim for a career that is stable and provides a good or service that people want/need. If my kid wanted to be an artist I'd tell them to go to art school and try to animate for established movie or vidya studios, for example. They can paint portraits on the weekends and see how that freelance shit goes.

My history degree didn't fuck me up because now I'm a lawyer. But I could have just read history books on my own time. It bought me nothing except a box to check on my law school application. The jobs I had before law school were cashier and phone drone-tier. If history/politics interests you, consider something a little more marketable like polisci, economics, international relations, etc. They're still not guaranteed careers, but they might push you more towards jobs that are actually somewhat marketable like lobbying firms, think tanks, etc. Places who actually solve problems. These days an undergrad degree is practically worthless. Give serious thought to a marketable graduate education.
>>
>>31674974
is 3d modelling a good job
i kind of want to get into that
>>
>>31675039
dunno. It's probably hard to get good at it, though.

I know a guy who does it for vidya and was previously at Pixar. I think he's doing well.
>>
>>31674507
>already tried to study something useful (accounting) and failed
What makes you think you would succeed in history? Is math a weak point for you? I would do law if I was good enough at reading to do history.
>>
>>31674507
holy shit dude just go back to accounting wtf do you mean you failed it it's not even one the hard useful degrees just get a tutor if you have a hard time with the math
>>
>>31675175
too low iq ig
>>
>>31674756
Good one, anon. History gives a person grand perspective, and a sense of the importance of logistics and leadership, of destiny rather than fate. In other words it is the perfect training to be CEO of an established company.
>>
>>31674507
Lmao bro. History is the least useful degree you can get. Its interesting for sure but you won't get a job with this. You can do this on the side if you want.
>>
>>31674756
And what did they do after that? Did they pursue other degrees/qualifications that enabled them to progress where they are now?
>>
History Major Here Just Graduated
DO NOT MAJOR IN IT MINOR IN IT IF ANYTHING. Only reason is if you want to teach otherwise sadly it's a waste of money and time. I wish I could take it back and have set myself behind a couple of years because of it. I was coping with it my senior year and part of junior but holy shit is it a waste.
>>
File: v92.jpg (38 KB, 500x500)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>31674974
History PhD here. I don't plan to live over 30 so you faggot wagies can suck my cock.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.