[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Manchildfrog.jpg (59 KB, 500x735)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Should I move out of my mom's house? Context:
>only one more year of college
>currently commute 1 hr (2 hrs round trip) to campus
>will be moving this time next year either way for work/grad school
>staying home one more year will save me at least $10k~
Never lived on my own, so I can't be fully sure what I'm missing out on. Not sure if moving somewhere for less than a year just to move again right away (plus all those extra expenses) is worth 12ish months of freedom.
Picrel is how I feel living at home though.
>>
No, stay at home and save your money.
>>
>>31678925
I think saving the money is worth it for just one year.
>>
If the last year of college is likely to be quite intense then disrupting your living situation might not be smart.
However, it would be better to move out to a shared house. People are looking for housemates all the time and it's far cheaper than living alone. You've already kinda missed out on the college social experience by electing to stay home in the first year, when everyone else is finding themselves in a new environment and open to making new connections. However, a year in a shared house would really help you to catch up somewhat.
>>
>>31679043
>>31679046
Yeah, this is what I'm leaning toward. I've been saying "one more year" for the past 3-4, so that kinda makes me feel like I gotta just do it now or I never will. I guess work and/or grad school will force my hand next year.
>>31679085
That's a good idea that wasn't really on my radar, so thanks for bringing it up. I'm a non traditional student, almost 30, so I'd probably feel out of place with a bunch of 18-20 year olds. If I can find the right roommates that'd be a nice option.
>>
>>31679198
Yeah you might want to look for a shared living situation with other people somewhere in the middle (22-26yos). Try and avoid situations where it's a couple that own the house looking to rent a spare room though, that's kinda a dead-end setup that tends to just cause friction.
>>
>>31679043
Seems like the debate comes down to saving money for a (presumably) better financial future vs. opening yourself up to (presumably) more options regarding social life. I'd always go for the money but I hate people so idk.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.