[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: devops.png (33 KB, 611x492)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
Particularly I don't have the requisite mathematical knowledge to get good at algorithms that would make a good coder(and it would take me a year to develop that mathematical knowldge). So, I was told that DevOPs is a good pathway for someone like me.

1) If it's true then what what are some good online courses and topics that I can look into? I will join 6 month BootCamp to learn(as my parents are insisting on it) but I want to supplement that learning.
2) If it isn't true what else can I look into?
>>
>>31680681
Coursera has courses that provide Google certification for IT technician and security. They are aligned with CompTIA certifications as well which you could take. A lot of entry level IT professionals start with the A+/Network+/Security+ combination before specializing into things like cybersecurity, network administration, systems operations, etc.

That said, IT isn't CS, so if you want to actually be a coder, then you have a different trajectory. Most CS degree go pretty deep into maths but others would be a better guide if that is your goal.
>>
>>31680681
>DevOPs
Isn't that it's more like a project manager, dealing with processes, but not really that much technical? Either go into Operations (IT) or Development (CS). IT is faster to get into. CompTIA and other certifications are good, depending which path of IT you want (networking, security, sys-engineering.) If you want CS then you still can use CompTIA since you need the fundamentals anyway.
>>
>>31680765
Not OP but I remember leading through the CompTIA book and thinking "I know almost all of this and it's gonna be super boring to hunt down the ten percent I don't know"
I'm not as much a computer kid as my brother but I grew up with them and I hate learning computer shit like that because most of it seems like it's for boomers.
>>
>>31680778
Never done CompTIA, not sure what's in it. But most zoomers growing up with smartphone won't know much about computers. Especially about the osi layers, or how computers and the OS works in general and basic networking. Most stuff from the 1970s is still in use today. I guess something like
>this is a printer, it prints, this is a CD-ROM, it burns
is boomer shit.
>>
>>31680715
Thanks. What are your thoughts on AWS?
>>
>>31680778
So what would be your suggestion for me(OP)?
>>
>>31680681
>Particularly I don't have the requisite mathematical knowledge to get good at algorithms that would make a good coder(and it would take me a year to develop that mathematical knowldge). So, I was told that DevOPs is a good pathway for someone like me.

Who said this bullshit to you? Sorry but thats not true. All programming is made with basic mathematics and maybe some more but is not like that you need years to develop. Even in the alghorithms field there is more logic than maths.
High school math is more than enough to get into programming/IT.
Now if you want a high level algorithm job then its another subject, you need to be really smart, is not about math knowledge.

6 months Bootcamp will be enough.
>>
>>31680825
cont.

You need to try all IT fields to see what you like, i presonally hate DevOPS, it disgusts me. But it varies from person to person
>>
>>31680812
It's like
>What are your thoughts on Honda?
when asking about trying to work with cars. Only reason it matter if you research about job opportunities and which certifications is more useful. But that's your next step. Unless you want to be an certified indian support worker, then you can flip a coin between aws or azure certifications. Not even sure if they matter if you have 0 other experience.
>>
>>31680825
>Now if you want a high level algorithm job then its another subject, you need to be really smart, is not about math knowledge.

When I look at algo classes online, they all have this pre-requisite
>Single variable calculus and/or multivariable calculus knowledge.
>>
File: mathu.png (15 KB, 1022x108)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>31681043
sample. A popular algo course on Coursera. In another course, the very first algorithm was some Euclidean math.
>>
>>31681043
you dont need that to get into IT or programming
>>
>>31680801
I swear to god if I have another tard tell me about osi layers I will lose it, its always some IT pleb bringing it up when there is some issue and how checking different layers might fix something.

You know the layers are only theoretical right? its just a way to think about how data is sent.
apart from a few layers its not really a thing, transport layer to application layer is just a single thing because thats all handed by your program and thats just not how network development is done.

no idea why it bothers me so much but damn when people place importance on the osi model and treat it as some gospel for how things actually work it just gets under my skin
thanks for listening to my ted talk
>>
>>31680681
FYI all the math you need to know for programming is called discrete math and it's basically just pre-algebra, introductory stats, boolean algebra and matrices

>>31680765
devops is all technical but it's deployment/server management, OP will probably need to pick up something like bash scripting or YAML

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.