[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721288313133617.jpg (20 KB, 739x415)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I work as a cashier and I am constantly stressed about getting sacked since the economy is shit and small towns are poop, also I am getting old. I probably should get a completely new career but I just can't find anything at all I could imagine doing. I have been to like 4 or 5 different counsellors, taken tests and talked to pros with no luck. I could work in a store all my life, but the uncertainty and fear of never getting another job if I low this (since I have no other experiences or expertise, so if in a year nobody needs a helpful man in a shop I am fucking dead) is killing me.
>>
>>31682936
Start saving more in case you get sacked
Start applying to random ass jobs, far and wide
Apply to a big box store?
Go to a temp agency if you need work RIGHT AWAY
>>
>>31682957
What could 35-40 yo do with only experience in stores?
>>
It doesn't sound like the job is the problem- a dead end job usually means that you have someone subsidizing your lifestyle, but the flip side to that coin is that you don't have fear of homelessness and being destitute as a motivator. Which, in its own way, is a shame.
Entry level jobs like yours are not meant to be long term jobs. Either you move up or you move on.
You know that there are radically life-altering jobs out there, right? Insane, crazy, adventurous jobs that require travel. If you're a US citizen, You can apply right now to be a bartender or a laborer at McMurdo station in Antartica. Or one of those guys who paints and changes lightbulbs on 1000ft tall radio towers. Tugboats in New York harbor need deckhands. Those doofs are half retarded, make 6 figures, live and work on their boats, get fat and work like 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and fly home.
Point being, how hard are you actually looking? And you do understand that stagnating in an entry-level job is poison, right?
>>
>>31682984
Managerial?
Supply chain?
Loss prevention?
Security?
Dunno, just cast the net wide and find out. The more shit you apply to, the more the possibilities open.
>>
>>31683003
>Point being, how hard are you actually looking?
I'm not looking that hard, I gave up actually finding enjoyable jobs around 6 years ago when I then just applied for this one and just stuck.
>You can apply right now to be a bartender or a laborer at McMurdo station in Antartica. Or one of those guys who paints and changes lightbulbs on 1000ft tall radio towers. Tugboats in New York harbor need deckhands.
None of this sounds good at all. I wouldn't really even consider doing any of those.
>And you do understand that stagnating in an entry-level job is poison, right?
Kinda, this is possibly the only job I can do, and I can't even keep on doing it either.
>Insane, crazy, adventurous jobs
I'm not looking for those kinds of jobs. Simple, safe and close by is more for me.
>>
It doesn't sound like the job is the problem- a dead end job usually means that you have someone subsidizing your lifestyle, but the flip side to that coin is that you don't have fear of homelessness and being destitute as a motivator. Which, in its own way, is a shame.
Entry level jobs like yours are not meant to be long term jobs. Either you move up or you move on.
You know that there are radically life-altering jobs out there, right? Insane, crazy, adventurous jobs that require travel. If you're a US citizen, You can apply right now to be a bartender or a laborer at McMurdo station in Antartica. Or one of those guys who paints and changes lightbulbs on 1000ft tall radio towers. Tugboats in New York harbor need deckhands. Those doofs are half retarded, make 6 figures, live and work on their boats, get fat and work like 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and fly home.
Point being, how hard are you actually looking? And you do understand that stagnating in an entry-level job is poison, right?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.