[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: resentment.jpg (33 KB, 1000x667)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
My friend just recently bought a house. At first, I was genuinely happy for the guy. He's one of my closest friends and he's certainly worked hard to get where he is today. In my friend group, all of my friends seem to have successful jobs and are making great money. I'm working a minimum wage job and living paycheck to paycheck. I'm poor. It's my fault and I'm trying to find a better paying job with my degree. This is just context of the people involved.

As I said, I was excited for him but as he keeps talking about the house and furnishing it and buying new things for it and having a house party...it's been causing me anguish. I'm already insecure about my situation and it's not his fault...but the constant bombardment of "Hey look at this cool, expensive shit I got!" It does drive me to be better and make more money but man it makes me feel like shit all the time. Is this fucking normal or should I just bite the bullet? I continually support him and I tell him that what he's doing is cool, because it is, but I'm developing resentment every time he messages my group chat about his fucking house
>>
>>31685281
>It does drive me to make more money
But apparently it doesn't drive you to spend less money, which is more important.
>>
>>31685281
Take a break from chatting with him and mute notifications of messages from him. Don't be too hard on yourself.
>>
>>31685281
they say a person ends up making the income of his 5 closest friends on average so try to keep these friendships anon. you'll get there. don't be the one dragging them down, be glad you have a friend group full of ambition
>>
>>31685361
Wisdom right there. It’s true, Resentment is admiration’s shadow. Just choose to admire it OP. Admiration breeds inspiration. Inspiration breeds ambition, ambition breeds motivation, until finally, motivation breeds realisation, it becomes real, it’s yours. Because throughout all of it, your behaviours and actions mirrored it and you got there.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.