[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1692848684278377.png (1.7 MB, 1080x1057)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
I just bought a house for the first time, and I was under the impression that we'd be talking about utilities at closing, but they were kind of glazed over. I cant even find anything referencing them in any of the paperwork that I signed other than that I was getting a small credit from the previous owner for one of them. How do I set up water/electric/internet? Should I just call my attorney to see if they have any of that information?
>>
at least in the states where I bought houses I just went to the utilities’ websites or called them and set up an account.

don’t forget garbage
>>
File: 1704727876550396.jpg (21 KB, 320x256)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>31685910
>Water
call the municipalities water treatment place and tell them you'd like to transfer the account at your address to your name, pretty sure that's how that works.
>electric
pretty sure it's the same as above.
>internet
find a cheap or enticing plan online and then just apply, they'll walk you through the specifics.
>>
>>31685910
>I was under the impression that we'd be talking about utilities at closing, but they were kind of glazed over
So why didn't you ask? If you didn't understand something and you had questions, why didn't you ask?
>>
>>31685955
>>31685959
That's the problem. I would do that, but I don't even know the names of these organizations, nor how to find them. I tried to look up electricity, etc. in x town and I get a ton of results, some of which look sketchy.
>>
File: 1691180824943698.jpg (43 KB, 675x676)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>31685997
who cares you retard the past is in the past and he's asking how to do it now how about you help out or fuck off
>>
>>31686005
google what provider your municipality specifically uses. I could google it for you if you can't figure it out and are willing to give us the municipality
>>
>>31685997
I had thought that I was just in the wrong at the time and dismissed the thought, basically. I'm largely going into this shit blind. However, after more research, I discovered that this was somewhat unusual.
>>31686017
I'll give that a shot
>>
>>31686036
The lesson is, whenever you don't understand something or have a question, ask.
>>
>>31686061
I learned that, a few days ago. I appreciate the input.
>>
>>31685910
It is almost always the case that utilities (gas, electric, water, garbage) are a monopoly - that is, that one company for each supplies the whole town. Ask at city hall.

Phone, cable and internet may have competition. Ask neighbors who they use and if they're happy with it.

And yes, it is your job to set up an account with them, not wait for them to come to you

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.