[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm your stereotypical guy who doesn't leave his room and is chronically online but I suck at anything outdoor related.
>>
File: 1694768336494076.jpg (95 KB, 516x844)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
You can do literally whatever you want retard
>>
>>31686079
Sure you can, do you have any trails near you?
>>
>>31686079
yeah, learn survivalism. there are different styles. What kinda of outdoorsy intrigues you?
>>
>>31686091
>>31686094
I did a few lately, I did one today for instance and I did fine but you could tell it's not my element let's say. I want to focus on hiking and camping honestly, those are the only activities that I feel drawn towards
>>
>>31686105
sound fun. learn to start a fire in different ways and maybe fish. maybe build rudimentary quick shelters. doesn't take long. or you could buy cool gear.
>>
File: IMG_9072.jpg (472 KB, 1170x441)
472 KB
472 KB JPG
>>31686105
Yup, that’s how it starts. Are you wanting to do solo hikes, or hike with other people too?
>>
>>31686105
>but you could tell it's not my element let's say
Can you elaborate
>>
>>31686122
he died
>>
>>31686119
Oh yeah, I thought I could be into fishing too so that's definitely on the list, but I'm definitely going to buy some camping gear before, never done it before but it seems interesting

>>31686120
I hike with other people but I'm going to start going alone so I can practice more because I kinda suck atm

>>31686122
There was a moment where we had to climb and I struggled more than my peers so that was kinda embarrassing for me
>>
>>31686138
>struggled
Skill issue or fitness issue?
>>
>>31686144
Both but I'd lean more into the skill side which concerned me because what if I'm just not meant for it?
>>
>>31686148
Would you expect to be naturally good at tennis?
>>
>>31686152
Nope, you got a point there. I guess I'm terrified of the ''okay, this is it, I have no other choice but coming back to my shithole because nothing else works'' it's a terrifying though I have to fight against
>>
>>31686163
you got this, long-term
>>
>>31686176
Thanks Anon, my plan is to hike at least once a week, let's see how it goes
>>
>>31686182
What kind of terrain are you hiking, is this in the states?
>>
>>31686079
You don't have to be "outdoorsy." You just have to be out of your room. Step out your front door and read a book or listen to music or do what you want.
>>
>>31686079
Whatever you do, do it for the thing itself and not as an excuse to find some friends (that you don't have) to do it with, like so many of these insufferable frog posters.
>>
>>31686079
Orienteering is outdoorsy and also nerdish.
>>
>>31686079
>>31686079

For starters, there an idea that should spend 1000 hours a year outside. Doesn't matter what you're doing. Walk around your block 500 times if nothing else, just be outside a building with the open sky above your head.

I think this would be a good start- just physically get outside. Walk to the grocery store, whatever. Try this or that. And you'll discover what you like. 100% go for it. Whatever you're doing, keep going
>>
>>31688612
Utmost.
>>
>>31686138
i have some basic fishing stuff, learn about knots and paracord and other ropes, can start fires in multiple ways but not with sticks yet, and practice stupid shit like military rolling mt clothes up and optimizing my packs.
>>
>>31690678
Sounds like you're kind of jumping the gun a little bit if you're worried about your skills during hikes that don't require any special equipment.

Have you figured out whether you're team hiking boots or team trail runners yet?
Leave no trace principles?
Basic first aid?
The list of "don't do this because it's dangerous and stupid" tips like stepping over logs instead of up on to them because of snakes?
>>
>>31686079
If your dad didn't teach you how to build a fire you have no hope

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.