[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

At what point does a boy become a man? Do you consider yourself a man?
>>
>>31687473
You know for yourself

I am

The problem is the society we live in today, that tries to postpone manhood as much as possible.
>>
>>31687473
I think the main trait of a man is taking personal responsibility. If you make a mistake, own it and do what you need to do to correct it, then you're a man.
>>
>>31687473
When i murdered all those people in Iraq, that’s when the boy inside me died.
>>
>>31687473
When you have taken full responsibility for your life. You have your own job, paying for your own place, your own food, your own car, your own retirement etc.
>>
>>31687473

As soon as you produce semen you are a man. So 12ish.
>>
When you can stop asking that question.
>>
>>31687473
At your bar mitzvah
>>
>>31687473
For me I think it was when I took control and responsibility for my life. It was a turning point that even if I didn't have it all figured out and wasn't in a situation that many would consider me taking care of myself that change in mindset brought all of things with it in the comings years.

I still remember just doing things because it was easier and I knew that others would approve and I was "on the path" so to speak, not really caring about what I necessarily wanted or cared about or making decisions on my own but just what was expected of me and told to me.
From what I can tell a lot of people might naturally get this over a long period of time of needing to sort things out on their own, but I could genuinely have went my entire life without ever striking out on my own or needing to, but I couldn't live like that.

The defining change was I would ask peoples thoughts on things, because if I took their advice and it didn't work out then it "wasn't my fault" as I was just listening to them, it was their fault, consciously or subconsciously, accepting responsibility for all of my choices and living with the consequences of my actions and that anything I ask others is to supplement my own thoughts and never a crutch to make decisions for me was the key turning point.
I can personally pinpoint this shift to an exact moment, an exact argument, where I was just sick of what I was doing and fully realized exactly what I had been doing, how disgusting that was, and that I needed to take control of my life.
A lot of people will still do this at any age and never really grow up, but to me, that is what it is to be a man.
>>
>>31688112
Good perspective. Thanks, anon.
>>
I'm 5'5 so no I don't consider myself a man. If I was a normal size I'd feel a lot better about myself
>>
>>31688112
this is it. being a man means facing who you really are: becoming aware of your faults and using that knowledge to become someone better.
>>
>>31689721
Same. I'm 5'4 and I feel like a child LARPing in a world of adults. Embarassing life.
>>
>>31687473
when you're smarter than most adult human males which happened to me at 13
>>
>>31690896
>when you're smarter than most adult human males which happened to me at 13
And what a terrible fate for the cost. I was the same. If you know you know.
>>
>>31688112
Exactly this. Had the exact thing recently. Realised I'd been coasting along achieving nothing before 25. Leaving my tolerable but dead-end job, dumped my toxic gf, got into consistently working out and will get in to study medicine next year. Felt like I was taking responsibility for the first time in my life to get my own shit together. Felt like being a man
>>
>>31687473
I am not a man. I'm a NEET shut-in with health problems who's fully dependent on my parents at 24 because I have trouble holding basic jobs. Even my dick doesn't work anymore because of a rare condition. I feel like I have to pretend to be girlish just for the pity points to survive. I'm like the house maid.
>>
>>31692614
I will never be a man and don't see myself making much longer without checking out early.
>>
>>31687473
When you decide to be
>>
>>31687473
Deep down, I still feel like a teen still but am an adult. I think it is because college to me, honestly just felt like high school but expanded. I am done with it and feels like stagnation in terms of "life" in a way. Sure I am attempting to get a job, with goals for career and life starting to develop, but I still consume much of what I enjoyed as a teen. I don't go out much if at all besides seeing my grandparents or helping parents with something. I still live with my parents. Don't have a lot of money. Am in debt. Etc. I guess being a man is more of a mindset, but for me it feels like a position in life. Independence and shit.
>>
>>31688112
I feel this way currently but haven't grown since discovering it...
>>
>>31687473
Not really. I'm 25, have a body of a pre-teen boy and act 15 but extremely asocial.
>>
I felt like a man plenty of times, but when I had a child and had to take actual responsibility for something, I realized I had been acting like a kid my whole life before that.
>>
>>31687473
I don't given that I still live with mommy and am dependent on her. I know it is absolutely fucking pathetic, gross, and shameful. No man living with his mom can ever call himself a "man" unless he is paying all the bills, has a wife, gf, or several women he is fucking, and who has his shit together.
>>
>>31687473
You become a man once you start taking responsibility for yourself and others. It's the hardest thing to do.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.